General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-19-2008, 10:29 AM   #1  
carinna

Unhappy Christina Applegate Elects to Double Mastectomy

She is only 36 years old. She tested positive for the BRCA1 gene that is linked to breast cancer, so she decided to have both of her breasts removed. Can you imagine what a difficult decision that must have been for her? She is a very brave woman.
carinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 10:33 AM   #2  
In love with...THE GYM!!

S/C/G: 243/213/150

Height: 5'8"

She has had a very rough year. I'm hoping for the best for her. I like her a lot.
julie99s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 10:34 AM   #3  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Wow. My thoughts are with her. I did read that she was diagnosed with breast cancer but I think the report said it was in very early stage and treatable. This must be a difficult decision for an actress, especially so early in age.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 10:39 AM   #4  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Height: 5'5

I'm really hoping for a speedy recovery. She's so young, and beautiful it would seem, both inside and out.
GradPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 11:05 AM   #5  
carinna

She seems to be taking it very well. She's supposed to have reconstructive surgery I think next year. She said "I'll have the nicest boobs in the nursing home."
carinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 11:36 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 190/178/120

Height: 5'5"

Did she test positive for cancer or the BRCA1 gene? Having the BRCA1 gene doesn't instantly doom you to getting cancer young. I think it is something like 89% that do get cancer when they have the gene, but not 100%. Getting a double mastectomy also doesn't mean you won't get it later. They can't get ALL breast tissue. If she doesn't have any relatives that got breast cancer before the age of 50, it is unlikely that she will either.

I'm rather up on this at the moment. Out of 4 aunts on my dad's side, 3 have had breast cancer, and his mom died of breast cancer. I take after their side in pretty much every way. My doctor wants me to get tested (it costs thousands though). If we figure out a way of doing it I will probably go ahead and do the prophylactic surgery around the time I'm 50. It also can be tied in with when menopause hits you. If you get it late and/or you started getting periods early (12 or before) you are more likely to get cancer.

Oh, and getting the BRCA1 & 2 genes means you are also more likely to get ovarian cancer. Many women decide to get a complete hysterectomy as well.
CaffeineIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 02:46 PM   #7  
start march 29 2008

S/C/G: 286/140/135

Height: 5'4''

Caffeine- she actually was diagnosed with breast cancer in one breast. Her mother also battled breast and cervical cancer. She tested positive for the gene and based on her family history and her recent diagnosis she took a very proactive approach. So it looks like she made a fully informed choice.
lifechange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 07:52 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

I just adore her--she really has reinvented herself as an actress, and is such a brave, funny lady. Good luck to her!
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 07:52 PM   #9  
i WANT this...bad

S/C/G: 225/ticker/140

Height: 5'3

I was tested for the BRCA1 gene and after I have children I will have a hysterectomy and a double mastectomy. I would like to limit the amount of chance. It's a decision I have decided to take and really it's nice to have the option. Plus new boobs would be nice and smaller too I'm a 36DDD EEK lol
SephyFowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 08:58 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

She had a mother that battled breast cancer (i think she died). She stated in an interview this am...that the decision to do a doulbe masectomy did no come easily. But due to her family history and her fear the constant need to be evaluated (every 2-3 months) she felt a radical masectomy was the most ideal for her. In the interview this morning, you could tell it was a tough decision.
I really like her alot. HAve always liked her even when she played ditzy kelly bundy. I really like Samanth Who?. She also stated in the interview that she was trying to set up a fund for people to help women get tested for the gene. She stated that most women can't afford the test and a lot of insurances don't cover it. I think she's doing a great thing and coming out and talking about it!! I wish her the best.
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 10:17 PM   #11  
KLK
Karen: La Cicciona

S/C/G: Sz 24-26 / Sz 12-14 / Sz 6-8

Height: 5' 4"

Oh my goodness. What a difficult decision to have to make. I wish her a fast recovery and all the best!
KLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 01:46 AM   #12  
I was born this way hey!

S/C/G: Not telling/Shh/150

Height: 5'3

I think she's very brave. I lost both my mom and aunt to breast cancer (both had it years ago, and it came back. My great grandma, and grandma also battled with breast cancer)..so I've thought about having a double mastectomy when I'm older. I wish Christina all the best of luck and a speedy recovery. I hope she enjoys her new boobs too, lol. I love her in The Sweest Thing!!
Shopaholic1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 03:47 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 190/178/120

Height: 5'5"

Aah, with getting diagnosed...I'd be doing the same thing! I really hope it works for her and she doesn't get it again (since, like I said...the double isn't a guarantee you won't get it). My MIL had breast cancer, had a double mastectomy as well as her lymph nodes out. She is 3 years past but they won't stop regularly checking her till it has been 5 years. She still has trouble with her feet being numb after the chemo.

Oh, and as GatorgalstuckinGA said...most women can't afford it, we certainly can't. Our insurance covers reconstructive surgery but won't cover the test. With our family history I'd like to know and my doctor wants me to get the test, but I'm lucky in that none of my relatives had it before 50 so it is unlikely I'll need to worry till I hit 50 either.

I think I mostly just worry that people will relax if they have a double mastectomy and feel completely safe and not check much anymore.
CaffeineIV is offline   Reply With Quote