Exercise! - Couch to 5K (C25K) Starters & Restarters.

Pages : [1] 2

Diva
08-18-2008, 07:01 AM
Hey everyone. I know there's a Cool running thread, but the fabulous chicks in there seem a bit more advanced than me and maybe some of you that are just getting started in the c25k, or those like me that are restarting it. It's been a while for me. I've been doing a HIIT Treadmill workouts, but I also want to resume trying to run (jog) so I thought I'd start a new thread here for us newbies & semi newbies to this venture. :)

Here's the Cool Running C25K Scdedule. (http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml)

I'm on Week 2 day one as of today. I breezed right through Week 1 last week. :)

Good luck!!!!:tread:

Hopefulpinkangel
08-18-2008, 08:00 AM
I'm right there with you Roni! I'm going to restart today. :) I may just restart on Week 2 to catch up to you, but I will see how I feel tonight.

GirlyGirlSebas
08-18-2008, 10:10 AM
Hiya Roni and Jen. Count me in. I need to get this butt moving again!

Diva
08-18-2008, 12:37 PM
I'm right there with you Roni! I'm going to restart today. :) I may just restart on Week 2 to catch up to you, but I will see how I feel tonight.

HA! I may repeat week 2 next week because week 3 scares me! lol

Anyhoo, I did Week 2, Day 1 today. Struggled a bit at first but then I found my stride. ;) I TOTALLY need some new shoes.

Some chick came in while I was doing it and ran a full 2 miles with no problem! I was like can I be you when I grow up? lol.

zinkemomx2
08-18-2008, 04:20 PM
I'm back on board again. Starting with week 2 sometime this week.

soure1sl
08-18-2008, 08:57 PM
I did 5 days of week one and tomorrow I start week 2, I'm really nervous that I won't be able to finish!!

Diva
08-18-2008, 09:14 PM
Awwww, Don't worry I'm sure you can do it soure1sl!!!If I can do it anyone can.:)

sumu1
08-19-2008, 07:58 AM
I just started back yesterday, W1D1...again...but I am determined. I would love to do one of the Turkey Trot 5k runs they do around Thanksgiving.

Anyways, I'm in...

Ilene
08-19-2008, 08:11 AM
I'm going to try it too... The weather is much cooler now and I need to get my butt in gear... OYE it's been a buzy summer, I usually don't run but bike in the summer, but this summer I've barely biked and never ran, not even once :faint: ...

So, I just printed the c25k and here I go, I may go after supper tonight... It's only 20 minutes, how had can it be?... I may be sorry I said those words :lol: ...

I'll report back later...

Asynchronous
08-19-2008, 08:16 AM
Hey guys! Have you heard of the podcasts? I find them really helpful, so I don't have to figure the times out in my head. Just google couch 2 5k podcast and they're the first thing that comes up.

Hopefulpinkangel
08-19-2008, 08:36 AM
I did 5 days of week one and tomorrow I start week 2, I'm really nervous that I won't be able to finish!!

You CAN do it!! :D Believe me I got to week 4 and if I can do that you can do anything!:hug:

Hey guys! Have you heard of the podcasts? I find them really helpful, so I don't have to figure the times out in my head. Just google couch 2 5k podcast and they're the first thing that comes up.

Yep I love the podcasts. It really helps to know when to run and not have to keep track. Although I love running to my own music though.

So I completed W2D1 last night and it felt pretty good. I thought about skipping to Week 3, but I don't want to overdue it. I'm going to try to do some kind of strength training with walking on the days that I don't do C25K.

GirlyGirlSebas
08-19-2008, 08:54 AM
Well, I've not yet gotten re-started. I had another sinus headache last night. I found out today that we are having high counts of ragweed...one of my major allergy triggers! Today, I'll be picking up some Zyrtec and refilling my nasal spray. Hopefully, I'll be feeing much better in the next couple of days and I'll be back on the treadmill.

sxulcmnky
08-19-2008, 08:58 AM
once my knee heals from the surgery next week, i will probably start on this... i have been wanting to do the C25K since i first read about it. Thanks Diva for posting the link to how to actually do it.

Diva
08-19-2008, 10:01 AM
I'm back on board again. Starting with week 2 sometime this week.

Have ya started yet? Let us know how it goes.:)

Hey girly, how ya doing? Did ya get through it? I'm scared of next week myself! lol

I just started back yesterday, W1D1...again...but I am determined. I would love to do one of the Turkey Trot 5k runs they do around Thanksgiving.

Anyways, I'm in...

I think a Turkey trot sounds nifty. I wonder if they are doing something like this in my area...hmmmm...

I'm going to try it too... The weather is much cooler now and I need to get my butt in gear... OYE it's been a buzy summer, I usually don't run but bike in the summer, but this summer I've barely biked and never ran, not even once :faint: ...

So, I just printed the c25k and here I go, I may go after supper tonight... It's only 20 minutes, how had can it be?... I may be sorry I said those words :lol: ...

I'll report back later...

You and me both on the bike thing. I even got dude to air and oil my bike up, and have have yet to ride the dang thing. it just sits out there looking all pretty and neglected. Maybe when we get cooler temps I'll give her a whirl.:) Let us know how things go.

I've heard of them too, but I relly like running to the beat of my own music. :)

You CAN do it!! :D Believe me I got to week 4 and if I can do that you can do anything!:hug:

Yep I love the podcasts. It really helps to know when to run and not have to keep track. Although I love running to my own music though.

So I completed W2D1 last night and it felt pretty good. I thought about skipping to Week 3, but I don't want to overdue it. I'm going to try to do some kind of strength training with walking on the days that I don't do C25K.

Wooohoooo! WTG. We are on the same schedule!

Well, I've not yet gotten re-started. I had another sinus headache last night. I found out today that we are having high counts of ragweed...one of my major allergy triggers! Today, I'll be picking up some Zyrtec and refilling my nasal spray. Hopefully, I'll be feeing much better in the next couple of days and I'll be back on the treadmill.

I hope you feel better soon gf. Allergies have been doing a number on Matt, me and my cat as of late. I finally figured out that's why all the headaches. Matt even stayed home from school today because he feels so bad.:(

once my knee heals from the surgery next week, i will probably start on this... i have been wanting to do the C25K since i first read about it. Thanks Diva for posting the link to how to actually do it.

Hey girl! Long time no see! Don't be rushing it gf. Let that knee heal up completely before you start running on it. the c25k isn't going anywhere:).

sxulcmnky
08-19-2008, 10:43 AM
Hey girl! Long time no see! Don't be rushing it gf. Let that knee heal up completely before you start running on it. the c25k isn't going anywhere:).

Thanks! i won't start with running... once it's healed and i can get back into the gym, i will be doing walking for ~1 week or so until i get into my groove and know i won't be doing damage...

Diva
08-19-2008, 10:46 AM
Thanks! i won't start with running... once it's healed and i can get back into the gym, i will be doing walking for ~1 week or so until i get into my groove and know i won't be doing damage...

Good plan. :hug: I hope it heals fast! My mail lady just had knee replacement and she says she's never felt better, but it's taken a while. :)

sxulcmnky
08-19-2008, 11:09 AM
ya... i'm just having the scope thing. they say the healing time is pretty fast for it

Pamela40
08-19-2008, 04:18 PM
Hi ladies,
Can I join you? I just did my first c25k workout today. W1D1. It went well and I feel pretty good.
I am so glad to find this thread. I looked around on line and just felt a little out of place on other sites because I seem to be alot slower than other folks.
A little about me. I just turned 40 last week. It's been a challenging birthday, and had me reflecting about what the next half of my life would be like. About ten years ago I ran(really jogged) a half marathon. I used to love the way I felt after a run and I want that feeling back. So I've decided to train for a 5k. I do not know if I eventually want to run a half marathon again, I just know I want to feel vital, strong, and tough:)

So I got my new running shoes and have started the journey-
bring it on!
Pamela:):):D

Diva
08-19-2008, 04:32 PM
Hey Pamela! :wel3fc: & a Belated :bday2you:

Of course you can join us the more the merrier!!!! I think we are all looking forward to having knockout legs again!!! hehe!;)

I DESPARATELY need me some new running shoes! I may have to stop until this happens in a week or so. :( My right foot hurts from yesterday, and my left shin splint hurts.

Pamela40
08-19-2008, 05:17 PM
Thanks Roni for the welcome.

I know what you mean about the shoes. I went to a running store and they fitted me. It was pretty cool- they had me take off my shoes, look at my feet and then watched me walk. I guess the type of shoe you need is determined by how flat your arches are and how much your feet roll inward(pronating). Since I am heavier, I assumed my feet would roll inward alot, but apparently not:) I tried on a few shoes and the one's I picked- Saucony Pro grid are awesome!! Very cushiony.

Matilda08
08-20-2008, 09:57 AM
Count me in as well I am on week six day two today but after I finish up my first nine weeks i will be doing another. I have been doing great with this program and I def see an improvement from week one to now!!!!!

Pamela40
08-20-2008, 11:49 AM
Glad you can join us Matilda-
Wow, all the way to week 6- good for you. Any advice for a newbie? I am on a rest day and tommorow is w1d2. Hopefully it will go well.

Just wanted to share with everyone a conversation I had with my dh last night. I was telling him about my first day of c25k and that I felt good about it, but realized I was going slow. I told him I was walking at 3.5mph and running at 4mph and that at that speed my heart rate shot up to 165. Now I know that is pretty high for me and I was not going to go any faster because I dont want to have a heart attack! So he says to me " hmm, 4 mph- thats not very fast, should n't you be going 6mph." Now mind you my dh is not an athelete and he is carrying around at least 60-70 extra pounds. I said to him " have you ever tried running 6mph". After a silence he said no- that he walks at 3.2 mph. Ha- I told him next time we are at the health club I was going to put him on a treadmill and put it on 6mph and see how long he lasts.

He is usually pretty encouraging, but I think he has no idea how challenging this is.

Diva
08-20-2008, 01:33 PM
Glad you can join us Matilda-
Wow, all the way to week 6- good for you. Any advice for a newbie? I am on a rest day and tommorow is w1d2. Hopefully it will go well.

Just wanted to share with everyone a conversation I had with my dh last night. I was telling him about my first day of c25k and that I felt good about it, but realized I was going slow. I told him I was walking at 3.5mph and running at 4mph and that at that speed my heart rate shot up to 165. Now I know that is pretty high for me and I was not going to go any faster because I dont want to have a heart attack! So he says to me " hmm, 4 mph- thats not very fast, should n't you be going 6mph." Now mind you my dh is not an athelete and he is carrying around at least 60-70 extra pounds. I said to him " have you ever tried running 6mph". After a silence he said no- that he walks at 3.2 mph. Ha- I told him next time we are at the health club I was going to put him on a treadmill and put it on 6mph and see how long he lasts.

He is usually pretty encouraging, but I think he has no idea how challenging this is.

HA! Whatever! I see you are short like me. Peeps with short little legs simply can't go as fast as our longer legged friends. Not in the beginning anyways. I started off walking at 3.0 and running at 3.5. I have worked up to anywheres from 4.0 to 5.0 depending on the day, and I think thats pretty cool.

I have shin splints. :( I tried not going as fast today but I just aggravated the situation, so I am going to have to just walk it until I can get me some new shoes, then I'll pick back up on Week 2. It is VERY hard for me NOT to run at least a little. :( O'well.

kestrel
08-20-2008, 02:19 PM
I'm getting ready to start, I'm really excited! My 3rd child is 4 weeks old today and I'm excited about starting to work out again. I'll be running inside on the treadmill since taking the 4 year old, 2 year old and babe with me running sounds like a nightmare.

I'll need to clean and lubricate my treadmill belt first (thanks to a kid-caused sticky drink incident!) and the stuff to do that gets here tomorrow, I've been stalking UPS keeping track of it. I'll probably do a few days of walking first just to get used to moving again.

Can't wait to join you all!

Pamela40
08-20-2008, 05:27 PM
Good for you. Wow 3 kids, you have your hands full. Let us know how it goes.

Matilda08
08-21-2008, 12:10 PM
hEY GIRLS! My advise would be to take it one day at a time and you will make it through it gets earier as you go along and try to keep tract of your distance which you will more than likely see a change once you make it past your first few weeks. Some days after a jog I feel so refresed!!!!!! And coming from a person like me that use to really hate working out thats great...LOL

Pamela40
08-21-2008, 09:06 PM
Hey all,
Completed w1d2 today. I decided to slow down the walking part and felt like I was able to recover from the jogs easier. So far so good, not too many aches or pains- crossing my fingers it will stay that way. How is everyone else doing?

Diva
08-22-2008, 07:03 AM
I'm bummed because I want to be doing week 2 but I have the shin splints. I hope to be getting some new running shoes very soon. I am also going to focus more on stretching before and for a longer period after. Anyways, new shoes or not, Monday I'll be doing Week 2 again.

Pamela40
08-22-2008, 01:46 PM
Roni,
How are your shins feeling? I know shin splints can be pretty painful. So far my shins are fine, but my right hip aches a little- weird huh- makes me feel old.
I agree about the stretching- I am stretching before and after the workout. I am going to try w1d3 tomorrow.

Diva
08-22-2008, 02:08 PM
I had hip problems at first too.I was told it was bursitis or maybe calcium deposits, but since I've lost 20 lbs it doesn't bother me so much.

The shins are feeling a lil' better. Still tender. I walked on the TM today enuff to get the heart rate up and did 3.1 miles and so far so good. I hope to be able to start back running on Monday. I was giving my friends a hard time for running in front of me. lol;)

thelish
08-24-2008, 01:09 PM
I just started yesterday...did W1D1, I have to admit I think I want to go again tonight. My husband work for a university that has a beautiful campus so it was fun to go and walk/run there last night!! I was hot and sweaty but felt good!! :)

Pamela40
08-25-2008, 10:41 AM
Finished w1 on Saturday- which went fine. I noticed my heart rate was much more controlled, which is a good sign. I was planning on starting w2d3 today, but my ds was kind enough to give me his cold:( Nothing more enjoyable that a cold in the summertime! Hopefully I will feel better tomorrow and will get going on w2. Hopefully things will go well.
Roni did you try a run?

Diva
08-25-2008, 02:06 PM
ok. I did week 2, day 1 again today. It went well. :)

babyfattimes3
08-25-2008, 02:16 PM
Hi I just started w1 d1 yesterday. It went good. It was pretty easy and I feel like doing it again today but its not good to do it everyday is it? Im not sore today. I feel very stupid jogging and being so big. But I will keep going no matter what.

MyWickedLife
08-26-2008, 10:15 AM
Hi everyone! I just started C25K yesterday and I must say, it went better than I expected. I think that the biggest thing that I was afraid of was having people staring at me while I attempt to run. But, there was no staring, no one yelling "Hey, look at that fat girl trying to run". Nope, everyone just seemed to go about their business while I ran through the neighborhood. And now that I've overcome that hurdle, I must say, I actually enjoyed my run!

Diva
08-26-2008, 08:23 PM
Okay, another Stumbling block. I got a job today. Eight hours a day on my feet being very physical. So until I get used to this new schedule, the GYM is going on the back burner. I am sure I'll be used to this in a couple of weeks though and I'll be back doing my 5k's!!!!

Have fun peoples!:D

Suzzyy
08-29-2008, 07:30 AM
I was directed to this very site by a friend who actually was a darn proud couch potato and 65 pounds overweight. He is now doing triathalons !!! I am going out tonight to buy some running shoes. Any suggestions on a good running sneaker?? I want to begin my "running" journey this weekend as I have been walking up to 3.5 miles nightly. Hopefully I will survive !
Suzy

Pamela40
08-30-2008, 09:14 AM
Suzzy,
Don't know if you already went, but I would definately recommend going to a specialty store for runners. They take a lot of time with you and watch you walk and reccomend good shoes. I ended up with Saucony omni7- which I love.
Glad you are joining us-
Afm-I have one more day left on w2- and then on to w3. got on the scale this morning and I was 5lb down- gotta love it.

Diva
08-30-2008, 01:39 PM
Okay, here the thing. My new job busts my butt. I mean I haven't worked in 8 yrs and now I am on my feet 8 hours a day 5 days a week and it do A LOT of walking. By the time I get home I am completely pooped. That being said, I am getting completely depressed not being able to do my workouts. I man I'm crying over it. I miss working out, I miss my GYM friends. So I have decided that at least 3 days a week I am carrying my tired behind up there and at least getting 30 minutes in if not more on the TM. I won't see my same Gym friends, but I can sure make new ones! :D Sooooo....starting today I restarted week 2 again and I'll prolly do Tues, Thurs & Saturdays at my beloved GYM.

Week 2 day 1. Done:)

Pamela40
08-31-2008, 12:47 PM
Good for you Roni,
It is hard to squeeze in workouts after a long day- I remember trying to force myself to be a "morning person" and workout before work- but you can't fight nature and I am not a morning person. I found if I went directly to the gym after work, it worked best for me.
afm- i finished w2 yesterday- but i had to do it without my music because i forgot my headphones at home- that sucked- music really help me - otherwise i am watching the clock-
week 3 starts tuesday- wish me luck
pamela:D

Pamela40
09-02-2008, 04:29 PM
So today was w3d1- and boy did that kick my butt!! I had to go really slowly to complete the jogging- I am sure there are many people who could pass me walking- but so what- I did it- hopefully d2 will be easier.

Viatre
09-02-2008, 06:35 PM
Hey guys! I want to jump in on the C25K wagon again, too. I've done the week one workouts several times but never been able to do them often enough to progress. Now that I'm in town for the semester I'm going to fix that. I think I'm going to do extra workouts, but I'll vary them enough that I don't do too much to fast. Here's my ideas right now:

Lacrosse Practice twice a week for 1.5 hours each time
C25K three times a week, for .5 hours each time
and weights twice a week.

Does that sound reasonable?

Diva
09-02-2008, 07:25 PM
So today was w3d1- and boy did that kick my butt!! I had to go really slowly to complete the jogging- I am sure there are many people who could pass me walking- but so what- I did it- hopefully d2 will be easier.
WoooHoooo! You do it whatever way you can get it done! :carrot:

Hey guys! I want to jump in on the C25K wagon again, too. I've done the week one workouts several times but never been able to do them often enough to progress. Now that I'm in town for the semester I'm going to fix that. I think I'm going to do extra workouts, but I'll vary them enough that I don't do too much to fast. Here's my ideas right now:

Lacrosse Practice twice a week for 1.5 hours each time
C25K three times a week, for .5 hours each time
and weights twice a week.

Does that sound reasonable?

Sounds like a plan to me:)

Modjeska
09-02-2008, 08:18 PM
Okay, I need to jumpstart my exercise routine. I think I really want to do this. :)

Thin4Good
09-02-2008, 10:16 PM
I have W1D3 tomorrow. This is the first time in my life I have enjoyed "running" - not sure I can call it that yet! I hope I didn't sabotage myself today. I walked 3 miles on the treadmill - that wasn't my plan but that was what happened since I got to the gym too late for the class I wanted to go to.

mist72
09-03-2008, 02:58 AM
I've been trying to start the c25k for months now. I started it on the TM, but hate watching the clock on there, I get clock-obsessed and it makes me feel like it's taking forever. Really, I'd prefer to run at the track near my house and would like to use a podcast. But I don't have an ipod or mp3 player.
After reading through this thread earlier today, I finally downloaded the podcasts onto my daughter's itunes (she has an ipod, of course!) and burned a CD with week 1 on it (I do still have a walkman-type CD player that I wiped the dust off of & it works!!).
I'm READY! I'm FINALLY w1d1 of the c25k!!
Yippee!!! Thanks guys for helping to encourage me:carrot:

Pamela40
09-03-2008, 01:02 PM
Hey everyone- glad you are taking the c25k challenge. My advice is go as slow as you need too. I think the pace c25k sets- 30 minute 5k- is not realistic for even the most fit runners. I just finished w3d2- went better than yesterday- but still challenging- I think I may end up repeating this week, not quite sure I am ready for week 4.
Please check in with your progress- it's nice to hear how everyone is doing
Pamela

Diva
09-03-2008, 01:46 PM
I agree. I am not racing anyone but myself, so I try and keep it @4 MPH. I can go up to 5, but that's REALLY pushing myself right now. I have short little legs ya see.:)

Anyhoo, I got Week 2 Day 2 done. I think I may be ready for week 3 next week. We'll see.... Depends on the type of job I end up with.

You guys are rocking it!:cp:

mist72
09-03-2008, 01:52 PM
I did it! I did it!
W1D1 was awesome! My form is so much better at the track than it is on the treadmill. I have to keep reminding myself to loosen up, relax my shoulders, but it feels great!
Tomorrow, I'll do a 30-minute walk with the dog and look forward to doing W1D2 on Friday!

Diva
09-03-2008, 03:04 PM
WOOOHOOOO! WTG! :cp:

Pamela40
09-03-2008, 05:56 PM
Good for you!!!

Pamela40
09-05-2008, 09:27 AM
Finished week 3 yesterday- I was looking at week 4- a bit initimidating. I may give myself another week at 3.
For the restarters- has anyone done week 4 b4? How was the transition? did you need to take an extra week?
Pamela

mist72
09-05-2008, 12:24 PM
OMGsh! My hips are still so sore. I don't want to injure myself by going to fast. I should be doing W1D2 today, but I think I'll give it one more day of stretching them out and do it tomorrow. Maybe I'll do an extra day or 2 of W1!!!

JulieJ08
09-05-2008, 02:10 PM
Finished week 3 yesterday- I was looking at week 4- a bit initimidating. I may give myself another week at 3.
For the restarters- has anyone done week 4 b4? How was the transition? did you need to take an extra week?
Pamela

I'm in the same place as you. But I'm trying to be optimistic about week 4. I know I had the same thoughts about starting week 3, but just went ahead and did it anyway. And it turned out easier than I thought (yay for the training effect). Doesn't mean I'm not still nervous :o.

Pamela40
09-05-2008, 05:14 PM
Good point. Maybe I will try it and see how I do. Maybe I will surprise myself. By the end of week3 I was fine with that workout.

Diva
09-06-2008, 03:44 PM
I think since I am job hunting (again) and will prolly start working soon, I am changing my GYM & c25k days to Tues, Thurs & Saturday...Unless whatever new job interfers with that, then I'll just figure things out. But anyhoo, I think I am ready to move on to week 3 beginning Tuesday!!!! :)

Pamela40
09-09-2008, 02:29 PM
I am proud to announce the I completed w4d1 today without a problem. Still going slowly, but I finished. I feel pretty proud of myself. I find the jogging part is much more enjoyable than the walking- and I can actually see myself being able to achieve the 5k goal. Yeah me!

Diva
09-10-2008, 07:11 AM
I am proud to announce the I completed w4d1 today without a problem. Still going slowly, but I finished. I feel pretty proud of myself. I find the jogging part is much more enjoyable than the walking- and I can actually see myself being able to achieve the 5k goal. Yeah me!

WTG girl! :cp:

It was very hard to breath yesterday. We had rain & humidity and what not, so it was a struggle...

Anywho, I did Week 3, Day 1 and I thought I was gonna DIE! But I did it. Three minutes straight was the longest I have ever run in my entire life! Why is it that the recovery time seems to fly by but the 3 minutes of running felt like forever? I think I'll be doing week 3 a couple of times....

JulieJ08
09-10-2008, 10:24 AM

Pamela, I had the same experience. Week 4 was the first time the jogging was enjoyable and the end result (5K) seemed like it might actually be doable at some point in the future. I'm finding the 2 1/2 minute walk to be too long - the start up of the following jogging interval is a little rough because I've cooled down too much.

But then, that last 5 minute jog is hurting my knee, and I haven't been able to jog the whole last 5 minute jog because I'm afraid if I push through the pain, I'll be out for a week or worse (that's what happened to me in week 1). But so far, it isn't derailing me yet, just messing with me a bit. :o.

Pamela40
09-10-2008, 01:06 PM
Julie,
I agree- I feel like I get into a groove and walking jars me out of it- then i spend the time walking trying to figure out how far I need to go on the treadmill- making sure I am doing the math right. You would thinks with all this education I could add 25 or 50 in my head without a problem. Are you running outside or on a treadmill? I have not tried to run outside yet because I am concerned about injury. I may try it in the next few week as there is a nature preserve close to my house that would be nice to run on.

Diva- good for you- slow down if you have to. My husband say me on the tread mill and said I looked like a real runner-:)

JulieJ08
09-10-2008, 01:28 PM
Julie,
I agree- I feel like I get into a groove and walking jars me out of it- then i spend the time walking trying to figure out how far I need to go on the treadmill- making sure I am doing the math right. You would thinks with all this education I could add 25 or 50 in my head without a problem. Are you running outside or on a treadmill? I have not tried to run outside yet because I am concerned about injury. I may try it in the next few week as there is a nature preserve close to my house that would be nice to run on.

Diva- good for you- slow down if you have to. My husband say me on the tread mill and said I looked like a real runner-:)

I've been running outside because that's what I have available. And really, I like being out. I *wish* it was on a trail and not the sidewalk down a city street. I think it is contributing to my knee problem, but I haven't found a solution yet. I don't wanna get in my car and drive somewhere, I just want to roll out of my front door in the pre-dawn and *run*!

Anyway, I am going by time not distance right now. I think the distances on the schedule are optimistic, as they seem to be assuming a 10 minute mile! This week I'm going a bit over 2 miles in around 30-ish minutes, including warmup and cooldown.

The 90 second walk doesn't mess me up like the 2.5 minute one does.

Pamela40
09-15-2008, 01:23 PM
Hey all, how the progress?
I did W5d1 today. It went well and I am definately enjoying the longer runs. We'll see how w5d2 goes when I have to run for 3/4 of a mile

JulieJ08
09-15-2008, 01:32 PM
Week 5 Day 1 for me too! Went well! I'm so excited about that. But then Wednesday is 8 minutes, and Friday is 20 minutes. I'm trying not to think about it :dizzy:.

Shaanon
09-17-2008, 01:34 PM
I want to start this but I have a few questions. Do I do it on an incline, and do I do it on what ever speed I'm comfortable at? I'm also allready embarrassed just thinking about this, but I go to the YMCA and i'm afraid I' going to panting like a dog on a hot summer day after the 60 sec run!

JulieJ08
09-17-2008, 01:53 PM
I want to start this but I have a few questions. Do I do it on an incline, and do I do it on what ever speed I'm comfortable at? I'm also allready embarrassed just thinking about this, but I go to the YMCA and i'm afraid I' going to panting like a dog on a hot summer day after the 60 sec run!

I wouldn't use an incline. It's meant to be on a level route. Definitely stick with a comfortable pace. It's all about building up endurance not speed. The speed comes later. Don't get too worried about how it feels the first week or two. It gets a lot better after that, really. You just have to stick out the beginning. It's so worth it.

kukristen
09-17-2008, 06:27 PM
Okay, so I'm committing myself (haaaa) to do C25k again. I did it a few years ago, but got sick and just up and quit altogether... Good going. But, I know it works and that I can do it.

I've really got to get myself moving -- while the scale is going down with my diet... my measurements haven't budged in a month (and that's like 10 pounds ago) and I KNOW I need to exercise for that to happen. I was just trying to avoid it :sorry:

buuutt.. there's no more avoiding it...

Anyway, in other words, Hi! I'm going to be doing C25K too!

JulieJ08
09-17-2008, 06:42 PM
Anyway, in other words, Hi! I'm going to be doing C25K too!

Yay! The more the merrier. I'm having the opposite problem - the scale isn't moving, but I have still lost some inches (or rather, some small fractions of inches :dizzy:). Whatev, right?!

jyvonne27
09-18-2008, 02:16 AM
I think I'm going to have to do week 1 over- just started wk1 on Monday and I was really struggling with it but I finished day one and felt so good after even though I was tired. I did wk1 day2 today and I couldn't even finish it. I did 20 out of the 30 minutes and just walked the rest of the time. I am so disappointed in myself:( Isn't week 1 supposed to be the easiest week?

JulieJ08
09-18-2008, 10:35 AM
I think I'm going to have to do week 1 over- just started wk1 on Monday and I was really struggling with it but I finished day one and felt so good after even though I was tired. I did wk1 day2 today and I couldn't even finish it. I did 20 out of the 30 minutes and just walked the rest of the time. I am so disappointed in myself:( Isn't week 1 supposed to be the easiest week?

The easiest? I think not. I think the "hard" of starting to exercise when you're out of shape is a whole *different* kind of hard from the "hard" of an intense work out after you're in better shape. The latter still has a certain sense of good feeling to it. The former is just no fun.

I know it was somewhere in week 3 or week 4 where I realized it just felt different. Even when the intensity was increasing, it was just better in some way as I became more conditioned.

Stick it out! It's just the way it is, it gets better, and it is so worth it.

I think at the end of *every* week I debated whether I had better repeat it because I wasn't ready for the next one. But still, I did the next week anyway and they went well!

And of course, we *are* all different. There's really no reason to feel bad if you do repeat a week, because why in the world should we all progress at exactly the same rate, right???!!!

I thought Week 1, Day 1, was TOUGH. But now, I'm facing the prospect of tomorrow being Week 5, Day 3 - 20 minutes straight :o :dizzy: Oh boy.

You're doing great, starting IS the hardest part. :carrot: :carrot: :carrot:

:congrat:

jyvonne27
09-18-2008, 11:29 PM
I thought Week 1, Day 1, was TOUGH. But now, I'm facing the prospect of tomorrow being Week 5, Day 3 - 20 minutes straight Oh boy.
Julie this is scary and encouraging at the same time ;) Thanks!

For those of you that have been doing it for awhile, what kind of stretching do you do before/after you run? I think maybe part of my problem is not doing enough stretching..

JulieJ08
09-19-2008, 12:15 AM
For those of you that have been doing it for awhile, what kind of stretching do you do before/after you run? I think maybe part of my problem is not doing enough stretching..

Before I do only a real quick stretch of the hams, quads, and calves. But after I stretch for ~ 1/2 hour. I used to do yoga every morning for ~1.5h, and C25K displaced 3 of those days, so this post-run stretching is a mini-yoga for me. On *real* yoga days I include a lot of standing and strengthening poses. But on post-run days, it's all stretching. Post-run, I focus on the legs of course (I'm paranoid about the running interfering with my yoga progress) but I do still include a little stretching for the arms and back. I found that the first week I was a little tight, but after that I was back to making progress in my flexibility :D

Shaanon
09-19-2008, 09:50 AM
I did week 1 day 1 yesterday, and although it was hard, it felt great..On 2 day 2 tomorrow. I'm going to do the annual 5k turkey walk with the YMCA on Thanksgiving morning, and I'm hoping this helps me... I NEVER EVER was a runner, in fact I don't think I've ever even ran a full lap around a track in school, so this is all new to me!! I'm really looking forward to watch myself progress....It will get easier...Wont it? Where any of you NON runners and did this program and succeeded?

JulieJ08
09-19-2008, 10:33 AM
I did week 1 day 1 yesterday, and although it was hard, it felt great..On 2 day 2 tomorrow. I'm going to do the annual 5k turkey walk with the YMCA on Thanksgiving morning, and I'm hoping this helps me... I NEVER EVER was a runner, in fact I don't think I've ever even ran a full lap around a track in school, so this is all new to me!! I'm really looking forward to watch myself progress....It will get easier...Wont it? Where any of you NON runners and did this program and succeeded?

Yup! Today I did Week 5, Day 3 - 20 straight minutes of jogging! Woohoo! I can't believe it.

paperclippy
09-19-2008, 11:45 AM
Hi everyone, can I join in? I used to run, then my knees got messed up, then I tried c25k, but my knees were still screwed up. My knees are finally better - almost - so I'm trying c25k again. My plan is to do each "week" for two weeks, to help my knees gradually improve and strengthen.

This morning I did week 2 day 6! I take my dog with me and we do a lap around the neighborhood. Our neighborhood has some trails in it so we usually go through the woods too. It's starting to get pretty chilly in the mornings, does anyone have advice for what to wear?

Shannon, I was like you, I had never run a whole lap around the track at school. It will get easier, I promise! I didn't use this particular plan to get myself in shape, but you should remember that it's a pretty aggressive plan, so for a beginner it's okay to repeat weeks until you feel comfortable with it. If you've been working out on ellipticals or biking and are already pretty fit, it should be easier!

Pamela40
09-20-2008, 05:05 PM
Hey there,
Glad to see more folks joining in. Hang in there, I definately think it gets easier as you go. Also go as slow as you need to.
afm, I just finished w5d3. I jogged for 2 miles!!!! It was longer than 20 minutes , but I made it.

Shaanon
09-22-2008, 10:36 AM
Hey everyone....Well, I'm going to repeat week 1 one more time.. I'm going to take the advice of some here and do each week 2x....I've been doing it on the tredmill, and its fine, but, I tried running outside on Saturday morning, and OUCHY, my shins just killed, I couldn't even run for 20 secs outside....Will this change I hope? I don't want to just be able to run on a tredmill...How come it doesn't hurt on a tredmill but it does outside?

JulieJ08
09-22-2008, 10:50 AM
Week 6, Day 1. First week, I think, with no knee pain in the last few minutes. Wooo hooo about that!

paperclippy
09-22-2008, 11:53 AM
Week 3 day 1 for me today! It wasn't bad at all, especially considering my calves were sore from a super-long walk yesterday.

kestrel
09-22-2008, 03:53 PM
Week 1 Day 1 for me. I can tell I'm really out of shape but everyone has to start somewhere, right? I made it through, so I'm happy.

I started doing this in the fall and made it to week 4, then found out I was pregnant. So now the babe is 2 months old and I'm starting over again.

JulieJ08
09-22-2008, 05:16 PM
Week 1 Day 1 for me. I can tell I'm really out of shape but everyone has to start somewhere, right? I made it through, so I'm happy.

I started doing this in the fall and made it to week 4, then found out I was pregnant. So now the babe is 2 months old and I'm starting over again.

How exciting to be back! Glad you're here.

Pamela40
09-23-2008, 01:07 PM
Did w6d1 yesterday- can't believe I'm saying this, but the walking parts are starting to annoy me:)
I have yet to run outside yet either, for fear of hurting my knees. I think I might give it a try in w7.
glad to hear more people joinging in.
I am curious- are any of you following a meal plan as well? I can see that some folk have lost a ton of weight- I seem to have a problem doing both at once- if I am good with exercise I am not strict with eating. Anywho- what's working for you eating wise?

beachluvr79
09-23-2008, 01:14 PM
I've been walking on the treadmill for months now. I do at least 3.6 miles 6 days a week. So I started couch 2 5k this week and I'm wondering if I can still walk the 3.6 miles on the days I'm not doing the program. I'm scared if I don't go daily I'll stop going all together.. but I don't want to over do it either. I'm thinking my body will tell me if its too much?

JulieJ08
09-23-2008, 01:33 PM
Did w6d1 yesterday- can't believe I'm saying this, but the walking parts are starting to annoy me:)
I have yet to run outside yet either, for fear of hurting my knees. I think I might give it a try in w7.
glad to hear more people joinging in.
I am curious- are any of you following a meal plan as well? I can see that some folk have lost a ton of weight- I seem to have a problem doing both at once- if I am good with exercise I am not strict with eating. Anywho- what's working for you eating wise?

I'm on Week 6, too. I agree the longer walks are too much. From the very first 5 minute walk they threw in, it cooled me down to normal, then starting up the next run was rough. Even if the preceding run is tough, 5 minutes to walk is just too long. At least it was for me, and I'm no amazing endurance athlete :o. At least there are no more 5 minute walks for us, and only one more 3 minute walk on W6D2. Then no more walk intervals at all! I'm sure I'll be missing them sometimes :o.

As for eating, I find that when I'm exercising, it's much easier to eat well. One seems to encourage the other.

paperclippy
09-24-2008, 04:27 PM
Week 3 day 2 for me this morning. Somehow I covered a lot more ground distance-wise during week 2 than I am now (I am going by time, using the Ullrey podcasts).

Beach, I think it is fine to walk on the other days.

Pamela - I am a calorie counter. I try to eat whole grains, lean protein, and lots and lots of fruits and veggies, but I don't consider anything off-limits entirely.

JulieJ08
09-24-2008, 05:26 PM
I did Week 6, Day 2 (two 10-minute runs separated by a 3-minute walk). So far so good. Running a goodly stretch feels great! But Friday's schedule (one 25-minute run!) is still scary :dizzy:. I can do it. I can do it. I can do it. :carrot:

But Friday I will have to extend my route to 3 miles instead of 2. I'm getting back home just a little too soon, and Friday is a longer walk and run. I think 2.5 miles would do it, but the streets are a 1/2 mile apart, so going to the next one will add 1 mile. Exciting :D.

Shaanon
09-25-2008, 10:27 AM
I Had a hard time last night..I' still doing week 1. I did it before, but last night, my body could only do the first 3 runs..AND ITS ONLY 1 MINUTE...AGHHH I'll probably never even progress to week 2..I'm going to keep on keepin on with week 1 until I can do all 3 sessions and hit every run!

Is it ok to do it everyday, or is there a reason its only 3 day's a week?

JulieJ08
09-25-2008, 10:51 AM
I Had a hard time last night..I' still doing week 1. I did it before, but last night, my body could only do the first 3 runs..AND ITS ONLY 1 MINUTE...AGHHH I'll probably never even progress to week 2..I'm going to keep on keepin on with week 1 until I can do all 3 sessions and hit every run!

Is it ok to do it everyday, or is there a reason its only 3 day's a week?

They recommend you give your body a break from the running. It can be hard on your joints and connective tissues, especially when you're unaccustomed to it. Even when you're experienced, they tell you to only increase your distance very gradually.

Some people walk on the alternate days, or do some other kind of cross-training. The off days would be a great time to pick up some strength training.

Don't worry about repeating. It just doesn't matter as long as you keep getting out there! But you may also be surprised. Once you can actually complete the week's schedule for 3 days, go ahead and move on even if you think you can't. I had that feeling every week, but I moved on anyway, and it all worked!

kestrel
09-25-2008, 04:53 PM
Week 1 Day 2 today. It was still tough for me but not as bad as day 1, I felt a lot better while doing it.

I'm also doing Weight Watchers to help me lose weight, just started last week. It's helping me get my portion sizes under control as well as pay attention to how many casual non-meal calories I was taking in. (Too many sodas, a candy bar every time I went to the store, too many super-sized fast food meals.)

paperclippy
09-26-2008, 08:58 AM
Week 3 day 3 for me today. For some reason it felt harder today - maybe because it was colder outside? Or because I was sleepy and it's Friday. ;)

Up next, another round of week 3.

JulieJ08
09-26-2008, 10:34 AM
Week 6, Day 3 this morning. 25 minute run! Yay, I managed to do it. It's hard work. Not in that same I'm gonna die way as Week 1, but more in the I'm so tired and heavy, can only think of one foot forward at a time way ;). It's very exciting. But it's gonna take some mental energy knowing I have that to face every time next week. I'm telling myself there will be as much difference between today and the end of Week 9, as there was from Week 1 to Week 4.

Pamela40
09-26-2008, 01:06 PM
I ended up just running the 2miles straight instead of taking the break for w6d2. I was in a good groove and I know from here on out there is not more walking in the training. It went well. I think I am going to try to run out side for the 2.25 run for w6d3.

congrats Julie for completing w6

Shaanon- how fast are you running, If you are struggling at the speed you are at, try slowing down.

Thanks for the feedback re:diet. I've done weight watchers in the past ( a few times) and at one point had lost 25lbs. I'm thinking about going back- it is a good plan.

jelynn
09-27-2008, 08:45 PM
Hi everyone- I'd like to join you guys! I've completed C25K 2 times before, but for some reason stop running after getting through the 9 weeks- So counter-productive :p For some reason, I need the structure of the program and when left on my own to keep running, I have a hard time. SO I'm hoping this third time's a charm! I still need to do W1D3 today- I've had an "off day" diet-wise and need to digest a bit of pizza, but I know it will feel good to get some exercise in!

kestrel
09-27-2008, 09:03 PM
Emily, this is my second time starting also. :) I'm glad I finally got back on track, though!

W1D3 done today, moving on to Week 2 on Monday.

jelynn
09-27-2008, 11:07 PM
Kestrel- awesome- we are on the same day!

Completed week 1, I will start week 2 on Tuesday.

paperclippy
09-29-2008, 08:56 AM
Week 3 day 4 (AKA day 1 #2) for me today. I don't like week 3. With the podcasts which I'm using, it ends up only being like 15 minutes of actual exercise - not enough! Oh well, I guess it gives my tendons time to get stronger.

JamieJo
09-29-2008, 09:05 AM
I am going to try this! Day one, week one!

Thanks ladies!

JulieJ08
09-29-2008, 10:35 AM
paperclippy - yeah, that was weird. But it will change.

JamieJo - Welcome!

I just did Week 7, Day 1. I thought I would never make it to this point. It was very tiring, but the second half actually went better than the first, and my knee didn't even hurt. I'm so excited. :carrot:

JamieJo
09-29-2008, 10:38 AM
Holy crap - 2.5 miles without stopping? Outside or on a treadmil? What speed were you going?

WOW WOW WOW - Congrats!!!!! I don't know if I'll make it THAT far!!!

JulieJ08
09-29-2008, 12:50 PM
Holy crap - 2.5 miles without stopping? Outside or on a treadmil? What speed were you going?

WOW WOW WOW - Congrats!!!!! I don't know if I'll make it THAT far!!!

Thanks! It is outside. However, while it IS 25 minutes, it isn't 2.5 miles. They apparently assume that beginner runners are running a 10-minute mile, which is nuts. I think I'm doing about a 12:30 mile maybe. Haven't formally timed it. I ran 35 minutes today (5m warmup, 25m run, 5m cooldown), and went about 2.5 miles total, maybe a little more, including the walking, which is more than half a mile by itself.

You'll get there!

09-30-2008, 02:19 AM
I joined this site just so I could participate in the c25k!!! This will be my first attempt, and I am hoping to loose pounds/inches and I am also hoping *crosses fingers* to grow fond of running. My ultimate goal is to run 1.5 miles in 15 minutes.... I want to join the navy:)

so this will be week one, day one for me...

Robsia
09-30-2008, 06:12 AM
Hey everyone!

I have been hearing of people doing this C25K thing for a couple of years now on another site I use and I have always had a mental block about running. "I dont do running!" is what I always said - hellish memories of forced cross-country runs through mud and snow at school, being passed by all the fitter girls, laughed at by all the boys and sneered at by the games teachers for always coming in last and panting, had put me off running for life!!

However, I have been exercising in other ways, cycling, walking and doing my dvd so I think I am averagely fit.

But I made a decision over the weekend that, now I am at a reasonable size, I felt I could start running without people laughing at me.

So, yesterday, I did W1D1 of the C25K! I actually did it. And it wasn't too bad, although I can feel it today. I almost didn't do it as the weather was cold and windy, after three weeks of glorious Indian summer. But I had promised my 7 y-o dd that she could come with me on her bike and she came home from school all excited, so I bundled the baby into the stroller (I knew there was a reason other than the coolness factor that I bought a jogging stroller!) and off we went.

I was going to go down the clifftop path, but it was too exposed and windy, so we went round the houses instead as the building sheltered us from the wind somewhat.

The clifftop path is better though as you can just keep going as long as you need to then turn round and come back when you get halfway through the program - it is where we cycle too as there is a cycle path running alongside the walking path.

Primm
09-30-2008, 06:21 AM
Well done on starting, 1982 and Robsia! I've just done Week 2 Day 1, and it was a bit of a killer. I couldn't understand because W1 was pretty easy, and then I realised it was 4pm and I hadn't drunk ANY water! That's right, absolutely none. Pretty slack, so I was probably dehydrated. I've made up for it since I got home, and vowed and declared never to do that again.

So we'll see what Day 2 brings - hopefully it will be a whole lot easier.

JamieJo
09-30-2008, 08:48 AM
well ladies - I made it through week one day one...and it was pretty easy. I think I am going to try week 2 day one on Wed.

I just can't imagine being up to week 7! But, I like many of you, do NOT like running so hopefully this will make me like it!

Good luck ladies!

Nikaia
09-30-2008, 10:22 AM
Another restarter here, this is attempt number four, I think. Maybe number five. Somewhere in there. I usually get to about week three, and then suddenly am too busy or get sick or something. I think I'm self-sabotaging.

Anyway, w1d1 was last night. My gym is only open late Mon-Thurs, and my schedule necessitates a late-night workout, so I can't take a rest day in between each day of running. So I'm running again tonight, and Thursday. I could run outside I guess, but I don't live in a very good neighborhood for that and also I'm terribly self-conscious about the fact that I'm not really *running* the whole time. But last night was good, I'm using Ullrey's podcasts to keep track of the time for me and I really liked the music on it. I can tell I've done this before - the first time ever that I tried C25K I was panting by halfway through w1d1. Last night, I kept pushing the speed on the running sections higher just to challenge myself. It felt...almost easy. I'm sure that'll change as I progress, but it was nice to realize, hey, I'm not the tub o' lazy I thought I was. I'm no athlete, for sure, but still.

Robsia, like you, I have traumatic memories of high-school gym and the running we were forced to do. I'm...how shall we say...generously endowed (think F-cups) and was almost at that size by the time I was 16. But nobody had ever introduced me to good running bras back then, so I was stuck trying to run in my everyday bras during gym, and getting laughed at and teased mercilessly because I bounced all over the place. "Careful there, you might knock yourself out with those!" So after high school, I just figured I wasn't one of "those types" - ie, runners. But I've always wanted to be, so I'm trying it again. This time, though, I've got Enell to back me and my girls up. It's much better that way. ;)

Oh. One last thing. Does anyone have advice on preemptively staving off shin splints? I tend to get those by around week 3, it's one of the things that has stopped me before.

JulieJ08
09-30-2008, 10:44 AM
I'm so excited for all the new people joining!

:welcome:

Robsia
09-30-2008, 10:47 AM
I am in an F-cup too.

Funnily enough, as I have lost weight and, yes, my bbs HAVE shrunk, my cup size has gone up from a D to an F, although the band size has gone down from a 42 to a 34.

But my bbs have definitely shrunk. At the end of my pregnancy, I could not span one breast with both hands - they were that big (42D). Now I can easily with inches to spare. And yet I'm still in an F cup.

Anyway, back OT, does anyone know if you can do the C25K program walking/jogging on the spot? The weather has suddenly taken a turn for the worse and I don't have access to a gym. Having only just started, I don't want to stop - I wondered if I could do it indoors in an emergency.

JulieJ08
09-30-2008, 10:56 AM
I am in an F-cup too.

Funnily enough, as I have lost weight and, yes, my bbs HAVE shrunk, my cup size has gone up from a D to an F, although the band size has gone down from a 42 to a 34.

But my bbs have definitely shrunk. At the end of my pregnancy, I could not span one breast with both hands - they were that big (42D). Now I can easily with inches to spare. And yet I'm still in an F cup.

I think that just means you lost more around your upper abdomen than in your chest, so even though your chest is much smaller, the difference is greater.

JamieJo
09-30-2008, 11:04 AM
Doing the C25K on the spot will not be anywhere near as much exercise as actually doing it. But something is always better then nothing... Not sure on your living situation but there are tons of used treadmills out there if you can afford it. I'm in Wisconsin and hate running outdoors so I gave it and spent the money for one...

Do you have access to stairs on the days you can't get outside to run? Climbing a flight of stairs 20 times in a row is a crazy workout that you could do indoors!

Nikaia
09-30-2008, 11:17 AM
Yeah, cup size is kinda weird - it's the relation between band and boobs that makes the cup size, as I understand it. So I could have the same size boobs as someone with a smaller band size, and I'd actually have a smaller cup size. Strange. I honestly was only a D, maybe a DD in college...I'd like to get back to that. I know for sure my boobs got bigger when I gained weight. I'm getting them reduced anyway, but still.

OT, Robsia, I'd agree with Julie that it wouldn't be *as* much of a workout. Still, the psychological benefits to not taking a day off would be well worth doing it anyway, in my opinion. Also, it occurs to me, how big is your living room? Maybe you can, not just do it in place, but do laps around your living room or kitchen or whatever space you have that's decently-sized. It'll let you have forward motion, while still being indoors.

Robsia
09-30-2008, 11:19 AM
Hmm - I went to see what the difference would actually be, to see if it would be worth forcing myself out into the cold, and according to this site:

http://caloriecount.about.com/activities-running-ac12

Jogging (general) burns 476 cals per hour, whereas jogging (in place) burns 544 calories.

However, I do think that doing it outside would give me far more incentive. The temptation to just stop if I got tired would be too great if I was doing it on the spot.

ETA: heh - my living room is nowhere near big enough to do laps around it!

paperclippy
09-30-2008, 11:53 AM
Yeah, the band size is about how big your ribcage + back fat is (essentially, they also add a magic number in there), and the cup size is about how much your boobs stick out from your ribcage. For example, if I measure with measuring tape around my back and the fullest part of my chest, I get 36 inches. What that doesn't tell you is that I wear a size 30FF bra. Someone else could have a measurement of 36 inches total, but be a 36C or something like that.

Robsia, could you run laps around the entire inside of your house?

Robsia
09-30-2008, 01:03 PM
Robsia, could you run laps around the entire inside of your house?

In theory I suppose but I'd be forever stopping to go round stuff. You US gals probably have no idea how small the average house size is over here. And it's all divided into rooms too.

Well, the forecast for tomorrow isn't too bad so I should be able to find a window.

kestrel
09-30-2008, 01:22 PM
Week 2 Day 1 yesterday, was happy to make it through without stopping. :)

I need to get a new sports bra here. Mine was bought several years ago and worked fine for pre-kids milk-free boobs but isn't quite holding up the way it should be now. ;)

Primm
09-30-2008, 08:17 PM
Oh. One last thing. Does anyone have advice on preemptively staving off shin splints? I tend to get those by around week 3, it's one of the things that has stopped me before.

I suffer from chronic shin splints too. The last time I tried C25K (before I got sick and had to start again) I did a few things that seem to have helped.

Don't run on concrete. Ever. Under any circumstances.

Lash out and get a pair of good supportive properly fitted shoes from a running store staffed by people who know what they are talking about. Not teenagers.

I warm up by walking to my local track, then do my program on the track (grass). No road running until my legs are fit enough to not scream at me.

Strengthening and stretching. Find a step and stand on it with your heels hanging off. Then lift yourself up on your toes as far as you can, and sink down so your heels are lower than the edge. Slowly repeat, and do this a lot.

I'm not sure which one of these things is helping the most, but I'm good so far and so I'm not going to stop doing any of them!

Nikaia
09-30-2008, 08:42 PM
Thanks for the advice, Primm. Unfortunately, I can't afford really good shoes - I'm between jobs at the moment, euphemistically speaking. But the rest of that is good. I'm running on a treadmill during the week, and will probably do one weekend run on Saturday - I was going to go run laps around the cemetery down the street, and I'd planned on doing that on the roads in the cemetery, but I can as easily run on the grass beside the road. So no concrete, check. And I will work on the stretching too. Thank you!

Nikaia
10-01-2008, 03:42 AM
Update: Just finished w1d2 about an hour ago. Honestly, the gym trip was atrocious - my usual area was crowded, so I tried the other area, where the only one of my usual type of treadmill squeaked so loudly I couldn't stand it, and after trying two other treadmills, gave up and went back to my usual area, which had room by the time I went back, but then about halfway through I knocked my iPod off the shelf onto the treadmill and it went shooting off behind me, so I had to stop and go retrieve it. By the time all was said and done, I'd done the warmup and first couple intervals at least three times, because I kept moving back in the time on the podcast I was using to track, to make sure I got the full workout.

Anyway, I completed the run despite setbacks, and I'm proud of myself for it. Unlike last night, I took the time to fully stretch out tonight, and I'm glad I did. My back still hurts a bit, as do my thighs, but I think it's just the new-to-exercising pains.

Oh - and I specifically made sure to do some of the anti-shin-splint stretches. Hope they help!

Diva
10-01-2008, 06:37 AM
If ya scroll down a bit on THIS (http://walking.about.com/od/stretching/a/shinstretch.htm) page, there are some Shin stretches and also treatments for when ya get them. I suffer from them too, but I've noticed it really helps to stretch my shins before and after, and I also ice them as soon as am done, whether they hurt or not for about 10 to 15 minutes each. :)

Robsia
10-01-2008, 06:46 AM
C25K - the indoor version

Well, I was going to do the C25K W1D2 today, but the weather is awful. Not actually raining but cold and very windy, 30mph with gusts of up to 50mph. And tomorrow is forecast to be more of the same so I couldn't put it off till then either. The cold isn't too bad, running warms you up anyway, but I wasn't going out there in the wind, so I got creative.

Instead of the first 5 minute warm-up walk, I did the 10 minute warm-up from my dvd.

Then when doing the running parts, I jogged partly in place in my living room and partly up and down the living room. My living room is small so I only managed 4 steps before having to turn round and come back again, but provided I turned round a different way each time I didn't get dizzy, lol!

In the walking parts I alternated plain old marching on the spot with box steps, and a step from my dvd which they call the Lambeth Walk. I was also able to add in some arms too.

So I did 20 minutes of those, then did the 10-minute warm up again as a cool down, then added on the 10-minute ab crunch section from the dvd (which I am getting better at).

So in total I managed to get a 50 minute workout out of a 30 minute one!

I would still prefer to do it outside, I feel like I am working harder outside, running properly, but I definitely worked up a sweat and it was good to be able to add on bits from the dvd. But it's better than nothing.

paperclippy
10-01-2008, 10:19 AM
Great job with the indoor workout Robsia!

Week 3 day 5 (AKA day 2 #2) for me today. It's getting really cold out there! (Ha, I say that now, but in another month it will be 20 degrees colder...) My local running store doesn't have their winter gear in yet though. :( I could really use some good gloves. I talked DH into doing w1d1 yesterday since he needed the exercise. He has a weird tendonitis-type injury that kind of flares up when he runs, but he never actually puts effort into healing it, he just says "oh, my leg hurts, so I should just not exercise at all." :rolleyes: In any case he was glad I forced him out, but he needs to get used to running with headphones and with the dog.

JulieJ08
10-01-2008, 10:39 AM
Congrats Nikaia, Robsia and paperclipply.

Week 7, Day 2 done this morning. But it was NOT cold. It's supposed to be 97 today :mad:

Robsia
10-01-2008, 10:52 AM
Oh my - running in that heat would be awful!! I think 60 would be about the ideal running temperature! 60 with no wind.

Nikaia
10-01-2008, 11:58 AM
Well done Robsia, way to get creative with it! :carrot: Congrats on getting your hubby out the door with you, paperclippy. :carrot: And Julie, that's hardcore, running in that kind of heat. :carrot:

JulieJ08
10-01-2008, 12:10 PM
Oh my - running in that heat would be awful!! I think 60 would be about the ideal running temperature! 60 with no wind.

That's one reason why I run before the sun comes up :dizzy: According to the internet, it was about 65-68 degrees at around 5:15am, but it sure felt warmer. I think I read somewhere that by the time you're warmed up and running, it feels 20 degrees higher. Part of my problem is that my apartment never goes below 75 (without a/c on) in the summer, even when it's 60-65 outside. It's sometimes not so easy to cool it off to 75 *with* the a/c. South and west facing windows. I'd be stretching outside if I had any yard/privacy. On the other hand, it's easier to keep warm in winter. Yeah, we southern Californians believe we have a winter :o.

jelynn
10-02-2008, 11:04 PM
Holy, that is hot! I would hate that.

I did w2d2 today. I'm a treadmill runner so out of the heat, cold, wind etc in the safety of my basement, lol. Love that I can wear anything I want :) Love my Enell bras! And good running shoes. Getting properly fitted made a huge difference for me. Will check in again after my run on Sat.!

Robsia
10-03-2008, 07:39 AM
I can't believe it. It is sunny, cool, with hardly any wind, and I am actually looking forward to going out and doing W1D3.

I never thought I would look forward to running.

Amazingly, I think I see a difference already. My jeans suddenly feel looser around the thighs and the muscles at the front of my waist seem harder. You know the ones I mean - the flat ones on each side of the abs. I don't know if running somehow works those too - whether you hold your body differently as you run, I don't know.

paperclippy
10-03-2008, 09:09 AM
Week 3 day 6 for me (aka week 3 day 3 #2) today. It went well. My knees were a little grumpy this morning, probably since it's been cold, but after I got warmed up they were fine. I just need to make sure that I get up and walk around a lot today instead of sitting at my desk nonstop. I also found that wearing two pairs of pants helped. I put my sweat-wicking pants on first, then pulled a pair of thicker workout pants on top. Pretty comfy. I'm still not quite sure what I'm going to need for the winter though.

JamieJo
10-03-2008, 09:25 AM
I HATE running and have always found it pointless and too much work to do just to "be in shape." Yesterday I did W2D1 and was looking forward to it! And I am looking forward to doing it tonight! CRAZY... I am also a treadmill runner as it's already cold up here! I am going to continue to do week 2 until I can do 6MPH on the treadmill during the running times but I am loving it that I am actually liking this. Maybe I will be a runner!

Robsia
10-03-2008, 09:25 AM
Well done Jessica!

I have been out and done W1D3. It was windier than it looked but it was OK. I kept mostly within the houses so stayed in the sheltered parts, and the sun was warm even though the wind was cold.

I would like to be able to run on the clifftop path though - I hate running in the streets - all those kerbs to go up and down are a pain with the stroller. But it's just too exposed and cold at the moment to run up there - I picked the wrong time of year to start running!

Ruby seems to like being pushed while I run though - she certainly doesn't complain!

julie99s
10-03-2008, 09:28 AM
Good morning ladies! I'm wanting to start this Monday of next week. I'll be starting outside early morning, but I'm wondering, with winter aproaching, if this can be done at all on a treadmill. I don't remember reading anything about treadmilling on the site. Just wondering. I'm excited for this. I couldn't run to save my life right now!

Robsia
10-03-2008, 09:56 AM
JamieJo - we posted at the same time so I just saw your post. Well done you!

I don't know what speed I go during the running times, but I enter my routes in www.mapmyrun.com and it told me that my average spped for the whole thing was 4.6 mph. And I know I walk at between 3.25 and 3.5 mph so my running speed must be quite good.

Any running for me is a good thing so I'm not getting too hung up on the times and speeds - I'm just going at the speed that is comfortable for me and if it improves over time, I'll be happy with that. I covered 2.3 miles today in half an hour so that's quite good for Week 1 I think.

Julie - I know lots of people do the C25K on a treadmill.

Robsia
10-03-2008, 09:58 AM
Oh, and I have definitely changed just in this one week. I was taking off my running pants and putting my jeans back on and I was mesmerised by this long slim muscle that has suddenly appeared in my thigh.

I love running!

JamieJo
10-03-2008, 10:04 AM
Robsia - We're about the same with the running then. Right now I'm doing 5MPH when running and 3.2 to 3.5 when walking. At the end, I put it up to 6MPH to hopefully get better.

JamieJo
10-04-2008, 12:56 PM
Where did everyone go??? I'm so excited!

Today I did day 3 of week 2. I'm going to take tomorrow off from lower body anything though because I'm sore. I did more on the treadmil after the C25K work out. I think I'm going to do another week 2 but with doing 6MPH during the running parts. That is running a 10min mile pace and I think I need to be able to do that before I move to week 3. So tonight and tomorrow is upper body!

JulieJ08
10-04-2008, 01:34 PM
Where did everyone go??? I'm so excited!

Today I did day 3 of week 2. I'm going to take tomorrow off from lower body anything though because I'm sore. I did more on the treadmil after the C25K work out. I think I'm going to do another week 2 but with doing 6MPH during the running parts. That is running a 10min mile pace and I think I need to be able to do that before I move to week 3. So tonight and tomorrow is upper body!

They recommend that you only focus on time or distance at first, and forget about speed until you have a good base going. Definitely don't put of advancing to the next week because of speed. The program isn't about speed at all, just about working up your cardiovascular endurance and conditioning your connective tissues to take the time/distance.

Week 3/4 was a nice place in the program for me, that was when it started to feel less tortuous ;)

JamieJo
10-05-2008, 11:31 AM
Hmmm... now you have me thinking. Do you, or anyone else think it would be harmful to do another week 2 but trying for time and speed? I am really liking this so far and don't want to make myself unmotivated but I really want to be able to at least run at a 10 min mile pace...

Shari926
10-05-2008, 11:57 AM
Hi there! I plan to join my DH (he's going on week 3) and start the C25K program. I probably won't start for another week or two. I have new orthodics that I want to break in first. My plan is to walk for a week or two and then start the program.

I've never run before, so I'm not sure how I'll find it. I am 60 lbs overweight, so I hope its not too rough on my knees and feet.

I'm looking forward to getting to know you and getting some support here.

-Shari

hborden
10-05-2008, 12:13 PM
I'm going to start the program too I think. Hopefully this week will be week one.

Shari, I hope like you it isn't too much!

I can't wait to get started and letting you all know how its going.

JulieJ08
10-05-2008, 02:33 PM
Hmmm... now you have me thinking. Do you, or anyone else think it would be harmful to do another week 2 but trying for time and speed? I am really liking this so far and don't want to make myself unmotivated but I really want to be able to at least run at a 10 min mile pace...

Maybe it's just me, but I don't even see the point of looking at your mile pace when you're only running 90 seconds at a time and then walking 2 minutes. But we're all different.

Robsia
10-05-2008, 02:50 PM
I did W2D1 today. I wasn't going to start Week 2 until tomorrow, but I was short of 39 minutes of my 210 minute/week goal this week, and it was a lovely sunny (albeit cold) day with almost zero wind so out we went, Ruby in the stroller, Bethany on her bike and me on my legs.

However I got a bit confused and when setting my timer for the first run I set it for 2 minutes instead of 90 secs. I wondered why I was tired at the end of the first run - lol! But I just set the final run for 1 minute, which was nice to end up with.

I also did a 10 minute brisk walk at the beginning and the end instead of a 5 minute one, which made the whole thing 40 minutes so I hit my target for the week.

But it was good - not too hard. Does anyone else count the steps when they are running? I count in sets of four, so I think "One and and and Two and and and Three and and and Four" etc. Then after I did the first one I know it takes me counting to about 65 in sets of four before the 90 second run is up. It just means I can see the end to each run rather than just running and running until the timer goes off.

Also, does anyone know if it makes a harder workout running with a stroller, or an easier one?

julie99s
10-06-2008, 09:05 AM
Ok... Today was the start. W1D1, and let me tell you, I felt like I was going to die! I had to stop after 10 minutes. I want to get the whole 20 in, so I'm wondering if it's ok to do the other 10 after I recoup? Did anyone else have this problem starting? I've been working out consistantly since July, but jeebus, nothing's wiped me out like this. I'm SO out of shape!

Primm
10-06-2008, 09:16 AM
Week 3 Day One - DONE. And I ran for 3 minutes continuously - twice! If you'd asked me 2 1/2 weeks ago if that was physically possible I would have laughed at you. But I did it. And I overtook the lady walking her dog around the outside of the track 3 times. Admittedly she looked like she had a gammy knee, but still...

Keep going, all you girls who are just starting. It doesn't get easier, but it gets more satisfying as you are able to do more and more.

JulieJ08
10-06-2008, 10:23 AM
Ok... Today was the start. W1D1, and let me tell you, I felt like I was going to die! I had to stop after 10 minutes. I want to get the whole 20 in, so I'm wondering if it's ok to do the other 10 after I recoup? Did anyone else have this problem starting? I've been working out consistantly since July, but jeebus, nothing's wiped me out like this. I'm SO out of shape!

Yay, you started! I would think it would be fine to recover a bit and then do the other half. I would still try to have a day of rest between. It IS tough at first, but it starts to get better.

Robsia
10-06-2008, 10:26 AM

Firstly, WELL DONE for starting! Doing that first run is a huge issue. The next issue is getting yourself out to do the next one after the trauma of the first. Once those first two are over it becomes a lot easier psychologically. If you'd told me a week ago I'd be looking forward to going out running I would have thought you were daft! But not only am I looking forward to it, I chafe at the 'not every day' restriction. it's been really nice here and I really wanted to go out this afternoon and I did it yesterday so I can't.

When I did the first one I was working out the 'timetable' on a spreadsheet to see how many repetitions I would need to do and it included the 5 min warmup as part of the 20 minutes so I actually only did 15 minutes of the run/walk part, which I didn't realise until after.

One thing I would say is, if you can, do it outside rather than on a treadmill, so if you really feel like you can't possibly run any farther, at least you have to walk home so you still get some exercise rather than just hopping off the treadmill.

Another tip is, count the steps, like I do. I really find it helps. it helps to break it up sort of so if it takes you 40 set of four steps for each minute of running, then you know that when you've got to 20 you're halfway there.

The first one is the hardest, but you can do it!!

I've only been doing it just over a week and I am already noticing changes in my body - running is a very intensive workout! Stick with it and you will see changes very quickly I think.

JulieJ08
10-06-2008, 10:26 AM
Week 8, Day 1. :carrot: My old POS mp3 player's battery died a few seconds after my warmup, so I guestimated my distance. Not as hard since no intervals anymore, but I'm terrible at estimating. Decent run.

JamieJo
10-06-2008, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the info ladies. Today I'm going to start week 3 day 1!!!!! :)

Keep sticking with it ladies and before you know it, we'll have to get together to actually run a 5K!

julie99s
10-06-2008, 10:45 AM
Thanks ladies, I jumped back on for another 5. Ugh, that was it, I was toast.

Robsia, I really wanted to be able to get it done outside today, but the weather's a little crappy this morning. My plan was to get up at 5 or 5:30 so I can get out and do it before bf leaves for work so someone is still at the house with the kids. Hopefully I can start this Wednesday.

Wow Julie, week 8! That's awesome!
It's so hard to see me being able to run for any extended period of time. 60 secs was such a huge struggle!

As exhausted as this made me, I love the change up from the dvds I've been doing. This really got my heart rate up. I can't wait for Wednesday!

paperclippy
10-06-2008, 12:21 PM
Hi everyone! I did week 4 day 1 this morning. It was tiring, but I made it! My legs are sore because I went on a 9-mile hike on Saturday though. :P

I am actually liking week 4 way better than week 3. The workout is the right amount of time and I cover more distance than I did week 2 (whereas I was covering less during week 3). Not such a fan of the podcast's music for this week though. Oh well.

Julie99, don't forget that by "run" they don't mean "sprint at top speed!" You can "run" at a slow pace, which makes it easier to go for 60 seconds.

Shari926
10-06-2008, 12:25 PM
I'm wondering if anyone else is doing the Robert Ullrey's podcasts, or are you all just doing it on your own?

Julie99--I haven't started yet, but I suspect I'll struggle as well. The one thing I keep telling myself is that I can do it at my own pace. If 9 weeks is too fast, I can do each week twice to make sure I'm ready to move onto the next week. Just keep doing what you can do and you'll get through it!!!

paperclippy
10-06-2008, 12:43 PM
Shari, I am using Ullrey's podcasts, AND I am doing each week twice. :)

JulieJ08
10-06-2008, 01:08 PM
Wow Julie, week 8! That's awesome!
It's so hard to see me being able to run for any extended period of time. 60 secs was such a huge struggle!

Man, do I ever remember feeling the *exact* same thing when seeing someone post towards the end of the program!

JamieJo
10-07-2008, 12:35 PM
Hey all! SUPER excited here! Did week 3 day 1 yesterday with more steam left in me! I never thought I would see the day that I enjoyed running! Thanks to you guys for the support!!! I LOVE THIS PLACE TODAY! :) haha!

Pamela40
10-07-2008, 03:32 PM
Hey Ladies,
I've been MIA for a week- life got very hectic and my workouts went out the window. But I started back yesterday. I had been up to week 7 , but starting back, I could only run 1 mile and needed to walk for a while. I may re do week 6 to get back on track.

bigsexy
10-07-2008, 03:50 PM
Hi everybody! I sure am glad to find this place. I need some major motivation and looks like everyone here already has it so I'm in the right place. I'm going to be starting day one of week one on the cool runnings program today. It doesn't look to hard, but knowing me I'll be dying by the time it's over. Ha! Anyway, can't wait to get to know everyone!

beaka
10-07-2008, 07:22 PM
Ok... I'll be brave. I'm going to try week 1, day 1 tonight.

julie99s
10-07-2008, 08:01 PM
Beaka, best of luck! Day 1 kicked my butt yesterday! But I can't wait to do it again tomorrow morning!

beaka
10-07-2008, 10:08 PM
I did it! I really did! YAY!

I did my running on the treadmill (I'm usually an outside walker). When I did my walk time, I had the machine on 2.6 and when I was jogging it was on 3.6. Is that good? I didn't know if I was fast enough.

Another thing, I'm HUNGRY now. How for ahead do you eat? And do you eat/snack after?

kimberlyw
10-07-2008, 11:00 PM
I am so excited to find this thread!! Jaime posted a link to the C25K for me and I decided to do it! I got a pair of running shoes and am hitting the gym tomorrow night for the treadmill:) I am counting that as week one day two as I already walk/ran for 35 minutes yesterday:) I am so glad to find a place for support!!!!

Robsia
10-08-2008, 03:03 AM
WTG beaka and kimberley!!

It's another nice day so I am off out this afternoon to do W2D2. I've got my sights set on a 10K here in May.

paperclippy
10-08-2008, 08:40 AM
Beaka, whatever speed you are comfortable with is a good speed for you!

Week 4 day 2 for me this morning. I'm exhausted, but a good kind of exhausted! I was glad that it stopped raining sometime early this morning so I managed to go outside and get my run in without getting soaked.

julie99s
10-08-2008, 09:03 AM
W1D2 comin up! Of course it had to rain this morning again. I'd gotten up early to get outside to do it, but I really didn't feel like getting cold and wet. Let's see how badly today's bout with running kicks my butt (and legs!). Later, ladies. Really pushing for that full 20 mins!

bigsexy
10-08-2008, 09:41 AM
Yay everyone who actually got out and did their runs! I unfortunately did not. :( Tons of excuses but what really ended up happening was I sat my butt down and ate pizza and watched Biggest Loser. Jillian would be so mad at me! Oh well, I'm going to see Chicago tonight, but I'm kind of hoping to get my D1W1 in before I go. Here's hoping!

bigsexy
10-08-2008, 09:44 AM
Beaka, I usually eat a light snack about an hour before I work out and I'm usually starving right after too! A little bit of peanut butter with an apple or celery usually works really well for me.

Robsia
10-08-2008, 10:20 AM
Did W2 D2 today. A funny thing - when I run it, I always do a 'there and back again' route - so I run in a straight line, and when I get to the halfway point I turn around and come back again.

Last time it took me 2 minutes longer to do the return journey which was OK, as I figured I was more tired so I ran/walked more slowly coming home/

But today, I did the exact same thing and was actually 10 secs quicker coming home! Isn't that odd?

Maybe it's because I needed a wee all the way home and it made me go more quickly! :D

But I noticed that the walks were easier. On D1 I was plodding on the walks but today I was striding!

bigsexy
10-08-2008, 10:43 AM
Very cool Robsia! I never thought about it but running in a line like that would be a great way to keep a check on your times. I noticed your starting weight was 213 and now your maintaining (yay for you!)....how long did it take you to get to that point?

julie99s
10-08-2008, 10:50 AM
Yay! Not only did I make it 20 minutes, I made it 25!! I took paperclippy's advice about a slow run. When I started on Monday, it was a slow jog, to the average person I suppose. But to my out of shape body it was probably like running full bore lol. So today my jogs were basically a trot. I could have walked that fast, but I could still feel my legs hurt and my heart rate rise. The 60 seconds were still a struggle, but totally do-able.

It was funny, I got to 17:30 into it, and I kept telling myself, last jog, then it's all walking from here. At about 19 mins, a song came on that got me going, and I told my body we could go for another jog, and ended up with an extra 5 minutes. I had fun today, and I'm really proud of myself.

Robsia
10-08-2008, 11:22 AM
Very cool Robsia! I never thought about it but running in a line like that would be a great way to keep a check on your times. I noticed your starting weight was 213 and now your maintaining (yay for you!)....how long did it take you to get to that point?

Well, my journey was a two stage one.

I started in January 2006 at 213 and got down to 150 by Christmas. Then I out about 10 lb on over Christmas, so it took me till March 2007 to lose that 10 lb and a bit more to get down to 144. My goal then was 140, and had been for about ten years!!

Then I found out I was pregnant and basically used it as an excuse to pig out on everything in sight for the first three months. I put on 25 lb in those three months! The rest of the pregnancy was basically a damage limitation exercise, trying not to put TOO much back on again. The last time I weighed myself before I gave birth I was 207 - still not back at my top weight though, even at 9 months pregnant!

A week after I gave birth I was 190, and that was in December 2007. So it took me from December until about three weeks ago to get to 139. I was originally aiming for 135 this time round but I yo-yoed between 139 and 141 for about two weeks before deciding to go into maintenance mode and see if I could drop that last five pounds very slowly over the next few months. As my goal had always been 140, I was finally below that, which was a HUGE achievement for me. Ruby was pretty much 9 months old when I hit 139, so the old saying "nine months on and nine months off" was really true for me!

bigsexy
10-08-2008, 11:44 AM
Well I think it's great that you've made it down to your goal weight like that. My husband and I are wanting to have a baby so that's pretty much the reason I'm wanting to lose weight now. If I started out pregnant at my current weight I'd be way out of my comfort zone when the baby was born. I'd like to lose enough that, like you, at nine months I'd weigh less than I do now. Hence my goal!

JamieJo
10-08-2008, 02:00 PM
Hi KIM! :) And everyone else! For the question about speed (according to the site) don't worry about speed right now. As long as you are doing a jog speed for you, you're doing great! I am currently doing the walking part at 3.0 to 3.5MPH on the treadmill and then 5 to 6 MPH for the jogging part. I usually wait until the end to do the 6MPH because it kills me. :) For week one, there was NO WAY I would have even attempted 6MPH!

beaka
10-08-2008, 05:33 PM
JamieJo: I think I just look at other people's speed and am like They WALK at the speed I "RUN." But I understand what you mean. It'a a good pace for me right now.

JamieJo
10-08-2008, 10:18 PM
Keep it up beaka at the speed you are at! You don't want to end up frustrated and stop it all together by trying to go to fast. As long as you break a sweat, you're getting the job done!

bigsexy
10-09-2008, 07:57 AM
Well, I didn't get to start my W1D1 again yesterday. :( It was raining and one of my biggest issues is the fear of slipping on a slick surface. I know. I'm weird. But hey, I did get a workout in so that was good at least!

Robsia
10-09-2008, 09:42 AM
Well, now I know why they recommend not running every day.

I did W2D2 yesterday and then went out and did W2D3 today.

I wasn't going to - I was going to go cycling, but the forecast for Friday, Saturday AND Sunday is for rain so it was today or not at all.

The first running step I took, my right foot hurt. And it continued to hurt all the way round. Not a lot, but enough so that it wasn't fun. Also, it was breezier than I thought so the wind was in my face all the way out. it did make coming home easier, with the wind behind me, but it was hard work today.

I'm not sure I'm looking forward to doing Week 3. It seems a big leap from running 90 secs to running 3 minutes! Seems there should be a 2 minute option in there somewhere. I might make up a 'Week 2 and a half" so I do more than 90 seconds, but not jump right into Week 3.

JulieJ08
10-09-2008, 10:19 AM
I'm not sure I'm looking forward to doing Week 3. It seems a big leap from running 90 secs to running 3 minutes! Seems there should be a 2 minute option in there somewhere. I might make up a 'Week 2 and a half" so I do more than 90 seconds, but not jump right into Week 3.

You have to listen to your body, but don't sell yourself short. I felt like that at the end of every single week until this week. Every single week. I was sure I needed to repeat it and almost did. But I never did. Having the weekend off helps turn your mind around ;). And it turned out I really could do the next week. It amazed me every time.

JamieJo
10-09-2008, 12:06 PM
Roberta - I was thinking the same thing when I went from week 2 to week 3. I even planned on doing week 2 over again and trying to get my speed up during running. I realized that I was just being chicken and I had to give week 3 a good go....and last night I completed week 3 day 2!!! I actually found week 3 easier then week to because you only do 90 seconds twice and 3 mins twice. Give it a try!!!!!! And just remember when you're doing it, it's just 3 mins...I can do just 3 mins! PLUS, then you get a 3 min break!!!!

JamieJo
10-09-2008, 12:06 PM
Roberta - I was thinking the same thing when I went from week 2 to week 3. I even planned on doing week 2 over again and trying to get my speed up during running. I realized that I was just being chicken and I had to give week 3 a good go....and last night I completed week 3 day 2!!! I actually found week 3 easier then week to because you only do 90 seconds twice and 3 mins twice. Give it a try!!!!!! And just remember when you're doing it, it's just 3 mins...I can do just 3 mins! PLUS, then you get a 3 min break!!!!

jaime
10-09-2008, 01:37 PM
hey guys. this is actually my first ever post but i have been lurking for a couple of days now. I wanted to get in on this thread. I have started the c25k a few times now. Each time I got to the point where I could run for the entire 30 minutes but something always came up. A long vacation or an injury and it ruined it for me. Starting over each time.

I started again a couple of months ago. I use a different C25K program... the one on Beginner Triathlete and I'm up to phase IV week 2. Running or should I say trotting at a 13.5 MM pace for 20 minutes.

I'm male, 5'11 and 297. I'm surprised I haven't ruined my knees yet but as long as I don't get ahead of myself and stay on course I think they will hold up. I have been as high at 313 and as low as 265 (still not where I wanted to be) but I have been creeping up lately. Hopefully this will help me stay on course. :)

I have to say, I was surprised that I could go from each stage to the next but don't worry.. these programs are designed to build stamina and it works.

Robsia
10-10-2008, 06:55 AM
Welcome Jaime!

----------------

Since doing my back to back runs yesterday and the day before, and also going on to walk a further two miles yesterday, I have had pain at the back of my heels. It hasn’t gone off, so I have just been looking on the internet as to what it could be.

Apparently it is retrocalcaneal bursitis, basically an inflammation of the bursa, a fluid filled sac where the very bottom of the calf muscles are joined to the heel bone. Cause - “Those at risk for this condition include people just starting aggressive exercise regimens or having some other sudden increase in activity without proper conditioning.”

Oh dear!

Initial treatment is avoiding the activities which cause the pain (duh!) and taking anti-inflammatories such as ibuprofen.

So it looks like I won’t be doing Week 3 after all until this goes off!

julie99s
10-10-2008, 11:17 AM
So sorry Robsia!! I hope you have a quick recovery and you can start right back where you left off!

Week one finished today. Week 2 sounds daunting, I'm struggling to make the 60 second intervals!

JulieJ08
10-10-2008, 12:31 PM
Take care of yourself, Robsia! Do something else for a while, and you'll be back at it soon.

I did Week 8, Day 3 this morning. Wednesday (Day 2) was hard, I just felt very heavy, my breathing never really relaxed and deepened, and my pace was slow. Today was better :). I'm so excited about finishing next week. The next step will be working up to the full 3 miles, because although I have done the time, my pace is slower than 10 minutes, so I think this morning I ran about 2 1/4 or so miles (instead of the 2 3/4 they say for Week 8). When my distance is up a little better, then I'm going to work on time.

jaime
10-10-2008, 01:11 PM
Thanks for the welcome Robsia. Hope all works out well for you. That kind of stuff can be frustrating. I have been through that and rushed back to soon.

Today I did Phase IV of the agressive program. Called for a warm up and 20 minute run. It was the third 20 minute run I have done in the program it it wasnt as hard as the first. hopefully I will be able to do that 5k i signed up for in a few weeks.

jelynn
10-10-2008, 11:58 PM
Hey all-
Did w3d2 yesterday and planning for w3d3 tomorrow. I found yesterday's run so much easier than Tuesdays. So interesting how somedays you feel so good and other's so heavy and winded.

Sorry you are hurt Robsia! Take your time healing- you don't want to re-injure!

Welcome jaime!

Robsia
10-11-2008, 02:29 AM
I didn't notice my heel coming downstairs this morning, and I forgot all about it till I saw this thread, so that's good. It is still a bit tender when I poke it so maybe after the weekend it will be OK.

JulieJ08
10-11-2008, 12:28 PM
I didn't notice my heel coming downstairs this morning, and I forgot all about it till I saw this thread, so that's good. It is still a bit tender when I poke it so maybe after the weekend it will be OK.

So glad!

When I started C25K, I hurt my knee the first day. I was limping a couple days, then it got better, but I took a week off, which was hard to do, but so worth it in the long run. Wish I could say it never hurts anymore :o, but I just get a tightness toward the end of my runs, or sometimes I have to walk it out for 10-15 seconds. But I always listen to my knee.

Shan
10-11-2008, 08:12 PM
I gave c25k a try last night on my treadmill. I downloaded the podcasts and used my IPOD. I was surprised how well I did. I definately build up a sweat! I'm officially going to start w1d1 on Monday because M-W-F is better for me. I am doing the SBD started 4 weeks ago. I'm down 11 lbs so far. My 1st goal is 140, I'm at 151 now. After I get to 140 I'll see if I can get to 135. I'm 49 years old and my body has definately taken a turn. I've always struggled with my weight, I once hit 190. But I lost 60lbs in 10 months. But like alot of people I got lazy and gain some back. I never got back up that high, but I was at 180 last year. I'm finding it harder to lose now that I'm older. So I'm hoping that running will give me the edge I need to stay ahead of the weight. Sorry I didn't mean to go on so long.

tinamae
10-12-2008, 05:20 PM
I just did w3d2 last night but I need help. I printed out c25k a while back and I just keep it by my treadmill. This makes it a little difficult because I have to keep such a close eye on the time. I went to itunes to get the podcasts. (I don't know much about podcast at all!) All I could find was week 9. Has anybody found the first 8 weeks? I would much rather listed to my hodge podge of music but these first couple of weeks would be much smoother with someone telling you when to run or walk.

PS. The one I found on itunes were narrarated by Robert Utley.

Shan
10-12-2008, 06:55 PM
c25k dot com has a link to the podcasts. I use the podcast and it keeps me going! Today I did w1d2:carrot:

JamieJo
10-12-2008, 07:56 PM
I'll have to look into whatever this podcast is...I don't know anything about that.

I did week 3 day 3 today. Went very well which surprised me because I did day 2 on Wed. I usually do day one of the next week on Monday but I might have to rest...actually, I have to look and see what week 4 even is!

We'll welcome to all the new faces and keep going!

Shan
10-12-2008, 09:56 PM
Apodcast is a file you download to your IPOD if you have one. It's like downloading a song.

saga77039
10-12-2008, 11:38 PM
I did the next to last 20 minute run this morning. It's really hard for me not to want to get ahead. Out of curiosity... how do I put up one of those tickers in my signature? I found the ticker but I couldnt figure out where to put it!:?:

julie99s
10-13-2008, 06:56 AM
Made it outside for this for the first time this morning. And it was so dark I was afraid of tripping over something. So I did a jogging interval or two, then walked the rest of the way home. Street lights must be outlawed around here lol. And since I won't do it during the day when people can see me (yes, I'm that self conscious...I'm trying to work on it), I'm gonna redo it on the treadmill later. Honestly though, I think I might have to repeat week one. Couldn't get much past 60 secs jogging.

JulieJ08
10-13-2008, 10:21 AM
Week 9, Day 1! I can't believe it. Nice run today, hard but felt good, which s nice compared to last week when I felt like I was wearing a weight belt. But it was cold! Need to get some capris to run in instead of shorts. And then the second half of the run will be to warm :dizzy:. Brrr this morning, but still forecast for 81 degrees today :dizzy:.

I am loving the cooler mornings / evenings though. I thought I was wishing summer would last, but the cooler weather is somehow making me feel good :). And it sure will be nice to see my electric bill go down.

JamieJo
10-14-2008, 12:36 PM
Week 9??? WEEK NINE?!?!!? Oh my gosh... I don't even want to look and see what week 9 even is! GREAT JOB JULIE!!! I'm started week 4 day 1 today but have not even looked to see what I have to do yet! :) Are you just doing this for your workouts or do you do more stuff?

How about the rest of you? Are you just doing the C25K for your workout or are you doing other stuff too? How are you weight loss results for those of you just doing the C25K?

JulieJ08
10-14-2008, 01:41 PM
Week 9??? WEEK NINE?!?!!? Oh my gosh... I don't even want to look and see what week 9 even is! GREAT JOB JULIE!!! I'm started week 4 day 1 today but have not even looked to see what I have to do yet! :) Are you just doing this for your workouts or do you do more stuff?

How about the rest of you? Are you just doing the C25K for your workout or are you doing other stuff too? How are you weight loss results for those of you just doing the C25K?

I'm doing the C25K on M-W-F, and on all the other days I do an hour and a half of yoga. I was doing the yoga everyday until I had to make room for the running. I still do about a half hour of yoga after running, but just the stretchy stuff (not the strengthening stuff).

jaime
10-14-2008, 01:55 PM
I do the C25K three times a week. I usually do weight training the days I don't run. I have been thinking of trying yoga. Im a dude so not very flexible. I might hurt myself. :dizzy:

JulieJ08
10-14-2008, 02:04 PM
I do the C25K three times a week. I usually do weight training the days I don't run. I have been thinking of trying yoga. Im a dude so not very flexible. I might hurt myself. :dizzy:

I don't think it's a gender thing. I'm not naturally flexible either. I was showing some things I could do (after 4 months of daily practice) to my niece, and she said, "Like this?", and pops right into it. And she is heavier and doesn't exercise. However, she is younger ;).

I've been doing it 6 months, and I've made tremendous gains ... for me. I think a whole lot of people out there, doing no stretching at all, are still more flexible than I am now.

I figure that just means I need it more.

Shan
10-14-2008, 03:11 PM
I finished w1d3 yesterday. I'm going to do day 2 and 3 over again this Wed and Friday. I started on Friday but I want to do my runs on M-W-F it's easier for me. I'm not doing anything else. I was walk/running 2.18 miles a day most days. But since last week I've been taking a day off in between. I weigh on Saturdays so I'll post my Loss then.

sillybutt
10-15-2008, 11:38 PM
I would like to join in, if that's okay. I'm starting C25K tomorrow. I started it a few months ago, and then it was just SO hot anytime I tried to get out to run that I just gave up. Now that the weather's a bit nicer, I'm going to start again. I need to give myself a good hard kick in the backside, and I'm hoping this will do it.

asparagus4sale
10-16-2008, 08:06 AM
Can I join too? I am starting this morning but will be going to the gym this week. I am thinking, next week, of taking it outside to a track. I would love to be able to do a 5k for thanksgiving.

JamieJo
10-16-2008, 09:36 AM
Everyone is welcome!!!! Keep us updated how you do!!!!

I have to do week 4 day 2 today... I mean, I GET to do week 4 day 2 today! hehe!

asparagus4sale
10-16-2008, 10:13 AM
I did week 1 day 1 today and I actually enjoyed it - broke up my work-out nicely. I exercise 5 days a week so I think I am going to just do repeat work-outs for one week.

JamieJo
10-16-2008, 10:19 AM
way to go! Keep it up! I HATE working out but so far so good on this C25K deal!

JulieJ08
10-16-2008, 10:36 AM
Welcome everyone!

sillybutt
10-16-2008, 12:59 PM
I did w1d1 this morning. Just my luck that my last "run" was uphill! :lol:

I'm planning to do w1d2 on Saturday morning.

SBD Sass
10-16-2008, 03:04 PM
I'm in too since my 30s support group said I should just do it. I want to, but a little scared to. I will be starting Monday evening.

paperclippy
10-16-2008, 03:20 PM
I've got four days of week 4 under my belt. Since I was traveling all day yesterday (5:30am to 8:00pm) I didn't get my fifth day in, but I think that's okay. I'll do tomorrow's week 4 run and then move on to week 5. Monday's run felt great - I wasn't the least bit tired from it!

JamieJo
10-16-2008, 03:41 PM
I'm a little confused. On the site I found with C25K there is only three run days a week. What are you guys doing on the other 4 days?

JamieJo
10-17-2008, 08:52 AM
Completed week 4 day 2 yesterday, plus some extra! Going to make a runner out of me yet!

JulieJ08
10-17-2008, 10:31 AM
WOOOOOHOOOOO!!!!

Week 9, Day 3, this morning ... done!!!

:carrot: :running: :running: :running: :carrot:

Shan
10-17-2008, 12:58 PM
Hello everyone, It's nice to see some action here. I did w2d1 today and I felt so good. I too want to be a runner. I know this is going to work for me. I feel it. You should always leave a day in between your runs in the begining so you let your muscles recover. That's why he says to run three times a week. You don't want to burn out or worse yet hurt yourself!

Primm
10-17-2008, 08:56 PM
Julie, well done! I can't wait to be able to say that.

Are you running time or distance? I'm doing time, and I've worked out that by the end I will be able to run for 30 minutes, but only do about 4km in that time. I guess I can work my way up to 5km from there, but what did you do?

JamieJo, I'm working on my non-running days! I work 12 hour shifts from 7am - 7pm, so by the time I add in commuting time and things like actually seeing my family 4 days per week, the running goes out the window. On the weeks I work 3 days I run an extra day.

Week 4 Day 3 for me today chickies, plus I rode my bike to work (30 mile round trip) on Wednesday, so my legs are a bit sore. But I still went for a run Thursday. I think it actually helped me to recover, the legs feel really good today with only a tinge of residual soreness.

JulieJ08
10-17-2008, 09:35 PM
Julie, well done! I can't wait to be able to say that.

Are you running time or distance? I'm doing time, and I've worked out that by the end I will be able to run for 30 minutes, but only do about 4km in that time. I guess I can work my way up to 5km from there, but what did you do?

Thanks. I'm doing the same thing. I think I'm running about 2.25-2.5 miles in the 30 minutes. But the podcast always starts & stops me running at an odd place on my route, so I'm not really sure. Monday, I'm going to start running at the beginning of a block and time myself, and get some real baseline numbers.

So the next several weeks will be working up to the full 3 miles each day. I don't actually think that will be too tough, knee willing. Once you're running the 25 minutes, the increments above that aren't as hard as going from 60 seconds running to 3 minutes running, as in the earlier phases ;)

Then I may work on my pace a little bit.

sillybutt
10-18-2008, 10:27 AM
Did w1d2 this morning - woo! It's great to see people getting up to Week 9 and beyond. Right now I can't imagine myself there, but I read about other chicks getting there and I think - you started where I'm starting. :) Very motivating!

I'll do day 3 Monday evening, I think. I'm trying to schedule my runs when my DD is in preschool or when my DH is home, because I'm *so* not up for pushing the jogging stroller yet. I do want to start taking the stroller out as I get a little more advanced, but for right now, I'm happy just pushing my own weight when I'm running. :lol:

erismile79
10-18-2008, 08:30 PM
Hi My name is Erica and i am new to 3fat chicks. I do Weight Watchers, lift weights 1x a week with a friend. I would like to begin walking again. My goal is not speed but endurance- I would like to be able to walk a 5k. Any suggestions?

Shan
10-19-2008, 01:37 PM
I did w2d2 today. I'm having a hard time keeping this to the three days also. I'm finding I don't like taking two days off in a row, so I'm running Sunday and Monday. We'll see how it goes. I'm running on my treadmill as i don't want to have to tackle the hills while I'm training. Keep running everyone, we will do this!

Ilene
10-19-2008, 11:26 PM
Welcome go 3fc Erica :wave: ... Just put one foot in front of the other a few extra minutes more every day or week and eventually you will be walking that 5k good luck :D

Ilene
10-19-2008, 11:28 PM
I did w2d2 today. I'm having a hard time keeping this to the three days also. I'm finding I don't like taking two days off in a row, so I'm running Sunday and Monday. We'll see how it goes. I'm running on my treadmill as i don't want to have to tackle the hills while I'm training. Keep running everyone, we will do this!I find that if I run every second day, schedule permitting that is, one week I run 4 times the next 3 times... It works for me...

I'm at week 3 :carrot:

paperclippy
10-20-2008, 10:20 AM
Hi Ilene! :wave: For some reason I thought you were a 10k runner . . .

Week 5 day 1 for me today! Woohoo! I felt great (except for when the dog decided he would rather run after a rabbit than run with me and nearly tugged me off my feet!).

Here's a question . . . I've been doing each week twice so that I don't re-injure my knees. Now that I'm up to the ones where each day is different, I'm not sure whether I should do day 1, day 2, day 3, day 1, day 2, day 3 or day 1, day 1, day 2, day 2, day 3, day 3. Anyone have a suggestion? I'm leaning towards the first way because running 20 minutes straight two runs in a row seems like a little much.

:sigh: I used to be able to run for over an hour, now I am intimidated by running for 20 minutes! :lol: That's what I get for letting my knee injury make me out of shape, I guess.

JamieJo
10-20-2008, 10:26 AM
I also start week 5 day 1 today! Paperclippy, I would do day one, day one, day two, day two...etc...but I'm sure that either way you pick will be fine.

asparagus4sale
10-20-2008, 11:05 AM
I am still on week 1 but I took it outside yesterday and today and oh lordy is that like a million times harder. But I didn't stop and made it through.

Ilene
10-20-2008, 11:38 AM
Asparagus, once you get used to running outside you'll never want to go back inside, I call the machine the «dreadmill» if I have to do it on that machine :lol:

:wave: Clippy, I started doing 5k's last year, 10k's just too long to do on a regular basis, ... I started the c25k this time around because I haven't run at all since June... I like it a lot...

asparagus4sale
10-20-2008, 12:19 PM
Ilene - I totally think you are right. Just having the wind hit my face and the scenery constantly change, it just feels so much better than being in a gym staring at a) some stupid TV show, b)someone's butt, or c) the timer on the treadmill counting down each and every second. I just need to find a way to figure out a good path to run on. This morning was tough because I went a way I don't know and it ended up having huge hills - not what I needed on day 2!

jaime
10-20-2008, 02:04 PM
asparagus4sale... I see you are in Austin like me. Are you running at the Townlake trails? I usually do the trail on the northside of the river and I go from the pedestrain bridge to mopac and back. Last weekend I actually went all the way around for the first time on the north and south side and I noticed that the southside had A LOT more hills. Maybe you should try the north end..

I am on the last week of my routine. Not I have to start thinking about trying to improve my endurance or speed. HHMmm.. What have you guys done once you finished the program?

RangerChic
10-20-2008, 02:08 PM
OK, I'm going to challenge myself to do this. I've never really run in my life, so should be fun. :p

JamieJo
10-20-2008, 02:17 PM
I RangerChic! You can do it! Just do it one day at a time. Keep us updated! I never thought I would make it to week 5 but today I'm there! I even had people run with me on Saturday and had to be the one doing the encouraging...NEVER thought THAT would happen!

asparagus4sale
10-20-2008, 02:31 PM
Jaime - Today I just ran in my neighborhood (Hyde Park). I am thinking of hitting Town Lake on the weekends. I am much better if I work out in the am but with the sun not coming up until after 7 I don't have the extra time to drive anywhere and still make it to work on time. I wish I could run in the dark but, yeah, that's not happening.

JulieJ08
10-20-2008, 02:35 PM
Since I did Week 9 last week, today I just went out (without the podcast, thank you very much, I'm done with *that* music) and ran the appropriate approximate distance. I went a little further than usual, as I am working up to the full 5K distance now. I was going to make up some of my own music, and probably still will, but it was also nice just to run in the dark & silence.

JamieJo
10-20-2008, 02:41 PM
Gosh...congrats Julie - I can't wait to be there and actually be able to run some distance without feeling like I'm going to die! You're an inspiration!

JulieJ08
10-20-2008, 03:22 PM
Gosh...congrats Julie - I can't wait to be there and actually be able to run some distance without feeling like I'm going to die! You're an inspiration!

Thanks! It feels as good as you think it will :carrot:

It's still hard, but it's a different kind of hard.

jaime
10-20-2008, 04:13 PM
Maybe I should try to improve distance after i am done. Afterall, I can only do about 2.5 miles in 30 minutes and it would be nice to be able to do a 5K in that time.

asparagus4sale - I usually run in the mornings at town lake and honestly, it's pretty awesome. The weather is cooler and there aren't as many people on the trails so you don't have to worry about hitting someone like I do on my weekend run. Also, im a little self conscious about running pretty slow so it's nice that it's dark and I feel a little bit hidden from the world.. if that makes sense.

RangerChic
10-20-2008, 05:08 PM
Tonight I start my 30-day Shred with Jillian (after doing my laundry at the laundro-fun-mat), so I'll start doing this tomorrow night!

tinamae
10-20-2008, 08:40 PM
Ranger chic - good luck with the 30 day shred. I am doing C25K (W3D2) tomorrow and the 30 day shred on the off days. The shred is getting easier and the C25k is going good. I was afraid of over doing it but I am taking off certain days. Let us know how it goes.

sillybutt
10-20-2008, 09:58 PM
Ooh - just found the Shred on the On Demand channel! I'm going to give that a try tomorrow.

Did w1d3 this evening before dinner. DH cooked and I took DD out in the stroller. As expected, pushing a 35lb kiddo and her stroller makes it a bit harder! But I powered through - yay me! :carrot:

Now on to week 2...*biting nails*

barbarajean2605
10-21-2008, 12:57 AM
Just found out about C25K on another website and I really want to do this. I downloaded the podcasts tonight and I'm ready to go for tomorrow. The only problem is that I live in Minnesota and the snow will be coming. Well, the snow doesn't bother me it's the cold and ice. But I really want to do this so I'm going for it. :carrot:

JamieJo
10-21-2008, 08:59 AM
Hey there Barbara! I'm right near LaCrosse! Maybe we could set a date in the spring if, I mean WHEN, we complete the C25K and actually do a 5K together! Woo hoo! I love just knowing that people are close to where I'm at location wise! :) I went to collage in Winona for my first year! Also - Do you have a blog? I tried clicking on your link, but it didn't work. ;(

So I have a question for the people doing the 30 day shread along with the C25K. My legs are usually pretty sore the day after running. Do you think I could still take the 30 day shead workout? I know I need to do something more then play Wii on my off run days, just haven't really found anything that motivates me. I was doing Barry's Bootcamp but I've kind of fallen off the wagon with that.

Also, for those of you who are this far, last night I completed week 5 day 1. It was dificult for me...I see that day 3 of week 5 is 20 mins of running without stopping...I don't think I'm ready for that yet! When those of you who are past week 5 did week 5, how was your day 3?

sillybutt
10-21-2008, 09:23 AM
I have a question - did anyone else have shin splints starting out that improved after a few weeks of running? The muscles on the fronts of my calves are sore to the touch, but they feel fine when I'm walking around. When I start a running interval, they're a bit sore, but they're fine by the second interval.

I'm pretty sure this is just overuse, because I'm just starting this program and because, well, I'm heavy.

This will get better, right?

JamieJo
10-21-2008, 09:32 AM
Hey there sillybutt...yes, it should get better. Are you doing some shin stretching before and after you run? That should help. bodybuilding.com has links for different stretches if you need some help and more information on shin splints. Unfortunatly, mine still bother me some but I just take an advil about 20 mins before running. Just be careful because you don't want to cause a stress fracture.

When you describe shin splints do you mean it hurts right on that bone or just the muscles on the front of your calves? If it is not right on that bone, I don't think it is shin splints...its just your muscles getting used to this new activity. Mine are usually sore to the touch the day after if I didn't stretch properly. With you describing that they are fine by the second interval, I think it's just your muscles getting used to what you are doing. That WILL get better! :)

sillybutt
10-21-2008, 09:42 AM
Hey there sillybutt...yes, it should get better. Are you doing some shin stretching before and after you run? That should help. bodybuilding.com has links for different stretches if you need some help and more information on shin splints. Unfortunatly, mine still bother me some but I just take an advil about 20 mins before running. Just be careful because you don't want to cause a stress fracture.

When you describe shin splints do you mean it hurts right on that bone or just the muscles on the front of your calves? If it is not right on that bone, I don't think it is shin splints...its just your muscles getting used to this new activity. Mine are usually sore to the touch the day after if I didn't stretch properly. With you describing that they are fine by the second interval, I think it's just your muscles getting used to what you are doing. That WILL get better! :)

Thanks JamieJo - yeah, it's the muscles. So it's not shin splints, just muscle soreness? I'm trying to massage it a bit today. I'll have a look at the stretches, thanks!

barbarajean2605
10-21-2008, 10:11 PM
I did my first day and it went well. I hope I can say that in a few weeks. :crossed: I hope everyone is doing good.

JamieJo- That's great that you live close by. :) I go to LaCrosse quite a bit. I do have a blog. I just noticed I had the wrong address :dizzy: I would love to get together in the Spring. I'm already looking into a few 5K's in the Spring. There are quite a few in LaCresent and LaCrosse area.

Robsia
10-22-2008, 02:53 AM
*peers back in*

I haven't read all the posts since I was last here, but I see that Julie got to Week 9 - WTG!!

My heel is mostly better now, it took longer than I thought but it seems to have settled.

However I am going to Paris next week so I'm going to start again at W1D1 when we get back. And I'm going to invest in some decent running shoes - I think my cheapie trainers probably contributed to my injury.

So keep my seat warm for me!

Primm
10-22-2008, 03:26 AM
Week 5 Day 1 today, and it kicked my butt!

I've decided to start running distance instead of time. I run at my local track, so that's easy to do. Except I miscalculated.

I was working on a lap being 400m (pretty standard, I thought). I couldn't do the last lap today - my lungs wouldn't work, my legs wouldn't work, my head was in the wrong space. They were line-marking the track (it's grass and they'd just mown it) and I started chatting to the workmen. Apparently the track is actually 440 m in the outside lane (where I was running), so my 800 m runs were more like 880 m!

I'm going to do Day 2 on Friday as per plan though - but now I'll run on the INSIDE lane which is actually 400m. Then there's a 5K locally on Sunday that I've entered into - I plan on running what I am supposed to (3.2 km) and then doing walk/jogs until the end. Or if I feel good I might just keep going!

JamieJo
10-22-2008, 08:45 AM
Silly Butt - Yeah - I would think it is just your muscles then. If you put your foot/toes up against a wall, stair, curb...something like and lean forward (hard to explain!) you will feel that muscle stretching. When you get it right, hold the pose for at least 10 seconds! Good luck!

Barbara - You have to let me know what you find for 5Ks in the Spring in the LaCrosse area. Even if you and I don't end up hooking up, I would love to attempt one!

Congrats Primm for entering the 5K. We are at the same place. I completed day 1, week 5 on Monday. Phew....killed me. But I'm still running for time. Tonight is day 2 and I think I'll be able to handle it. The Friday run is what is making me nervous!

paperclippy
10-22-2008, 09:18 AM
I'm at the same place as JamieJo and Primm! Week 5 day 2 for me today. It was great! I was worried about it but it felt easy to me. Still nervous about Friday's run but hopefully it will go okay. Next week I'm repeating week 5 since I do each week twice, so that will give me some extra practice before getting to week 6.

It is getting COLD :brr: in the mornings when I run! This morning it was about 35 degrees out when I went. I ran with two pairs of pants, a long-sleeved top, a sweatshirt, and a hat, but I could tell this is about the lower limit of what temperatures I can stand without adding another layer. This weekend I'm going to make a visit to my local running store and try to get something warmer.

JamieJo
10-22-2008, 09:26 AM
Hey Papperclippy! That's awesome that we are at the same place. I might also do week 5 over again just because it really is killing me. I am literally dripping with sweat when I was done on Monday (I run inside on a treadmill...too cold in Wisconsin for me!) Or I might do day 2 a few times before day 3. 20 mins of straight running seems a little impossible for me right now! Or I might just kick my speed down a lot. Monday I ran at 5.2MPH. So where is Carmel? I go to Camp Atterbury often which is by Columbus. Is Carmel close?

paperclippy
10-22-2008, 09:55 AM
Jamie, I was totally exhausted and sweating at the end of day 1 too, but day 2 felt a lot easier to me. I think it's because there are only two running intervals instead of three. I don't think I run as fast as you though, but I haven't checked since I'm not on a treadmill.

Carmel is a suburb of Indianapolis -- I live about a half hour north (and a little bit west) of the center of downtown Indy. So it's on the other side of Indy from Columbus, but not super-far!

tferg2000
10-22-2008, 10:48 AM
Hi Everyone,

I'd like to join your thread. I just found C25K, and I'm really excited about giving it a try. I am NOT a runner, but I like the idea of the challenge. I've read a few of the posts here, and it seems I'm not alone. You are all such an inspiration!

This Friday I will finish 30 days of The 30 Day Shred, so I plan on starting C25k on Monday and doing the shred on my off days. I feel a bit intimidated, but I've downloaded the week 1 podcasts, and I plan on getting some new running shoes this weekend. Does anyone have any other suggestions for getting started? Also, I'll be doing this on a treadmill, do I adjust the incline at all, or just leave it flat?

Thanks

asparagus4sale
10-22-2008, 11:01 AM
I am doing both the 30 Day Shred and the C25K on every day - no wonder I hurt! Anyway, I got out this morning and I had a nice walk/run. Tomorrow is the end of my first week but I believe I am going to potpone it switching to Week 2 until Monday as I just started going outside and it is a lot tougher than in the gym. I mapped my route on mapmyrun.com and it was 2.5 miles so I thought that was prett good.

barbarajean2605
10-22-2008, 04:42 PM
Robsia- Glad that your heel pain is gone. Have a great time in Paris.

JamieJo- I'll let you know when I find out about the 5k's in the LaCrosse area. I found some, but they were from last Spring.

tferg- :welcome3:

asparagus- I'm thinking of doing the first week over too. My days this week got all mixed up.

sillybutt
10-22-2008, 10:29 PM
I finished w2d1 this evening. :carrot: Just on my own, no stroller. :)

I also managed to get through about 15 minutes of the Shred this afternoon.

I definitely need to work on my stretching. I'm going to spend some time looking up stretches and such, and working on those each day. Probably wouldn't hurt to pull out my Callanetics DVDs either. :)

JamieJo
10-23-2008, 09:30 AM
Congrats sillybutt! Was thinking about you when I was stretching last night! :) The site that the C25K is on even has some stretching information. Check it out. ;)

So ladies...week 5 day 2 complete!!!!!!! AND D A M N! It killed me...I had to slow the treadmill down to 4.7 on the last 8 min stretch. I am in no way ready for day 3. I AM going to attempt it on Friday but I'm not going to beat myself up on that one if I have to stop. :) I'll just do day 2 a couple more times. :)

sillybutt
10-23-2008, 10:34 AM
Well done JamieJo! And yeah, definitely try it and see you how you do - you may surprise yourself, even if you don't finish it!