Veggie Challenged - Is V8 REALLY a source of veggies?

View Full Version : Is V8 REALLY a source of veggies?

EricaBG
08-16-2008, 10:57 PM
Is it really a true source of veggies? What about that V8-V fusion juice? I love V8 and I bought the low sodium V8 which tastes just as good as the regular V8. I'm just curious of the claim that it made saying it has a serving of veggies per 8oz.

PhotoChick
08-17-2008, 12:20 AM
Yes and no. It will give you all the vitamins and nutrients of a serving of veggies. It doesn't give you the fiber or the bulk of eating those veggies whole.

But V8 is a good way to add *some* veggies to your diet - just don't rely on it to add *all* your veggies.

bargoo
08-17-2008, 08:19 AM
Better to have V8 than no veggies at all.

chickybird
08-17-2008, 09:53 AM
I agree with Bargoo. I only drink the low sodium kind though. Tastes better to me anyway!

SunshineCA
08-19-2008, 05:53 PM
I sooo love V-8 low sodium!! :) It's a great way to start your day. :)

DollyLang
11-08-2008, 10:08 PM
I drink a V-8 every morning with breakfast. I can't stand the low sodium kind, so I drink plenty of water the rest of the day to flush out the sodium.

Ashley
11-09-2008, 01:34 PM
I can't stand V-8 ahaha tastes like cold tomato soup. I usually have to plug my nose while drinking it =(

whoIwannabe
11-09-2008, 01:42 PM
Very very interesting!!!

raw23
11-09-2008, 01:55 PM
Same for V8 fusion? The claim is that it's a serving a fruit and a serving of veggies.

cntgtbck175
11-13-2008, 07:36 PM
i tried it the fusion is the best but is it really good for you?

nelie
01-12-2009, 10:00 AM
For as much veggies as v8 claims to have, it has very little fiber. So I'd say that it may get you quite a bit of vitamins from the veggies but you don't get the full effect as they are really juicing it and stripping away lots of the fiber.

I love veggies but hate v8 or similar.

rockinrobin
01-13-2009, 11:59 AM
For as much veggies as v8 claims to have, it has very little fiber. So I'd say that it may get you quite a bit of vitamins from the veggies but you don't get the full effect as they are really juicing it and stripping away lots of the fiber.

I love veggies but hate v8 or similar.

Yeah, I agree with this totally. Even down to the loving veggies, hating V8 or similar.

One needs to *chew* their veggies to get the full affects of them, not drink them.

Shannon in ATL
01-13-2009, 12:23 PM
I love V8, but tend to not count it as a veggie serving. Probably the same reason as Robin & Nelie - doesn't feel like a veggie to me.

Though, as someone else also said, I did drink a lot of it when I was eating no vegetables at all because it was better than nothing. :)

Elanajel
01-13-2009, 02:31 PM
I like it, and it probably doesn't spike blood sugar as much as o.j. or another fruit juice would.

I buy a multi-pack of low sodium cans and keep them at work. I often have one w/lunch.

I "sort of" count it as a vegetable. I've never tried the fusion version. Is it added sugar?

thedawnster
05-17-2009, 07:05 PM
They make a high fiber V8 juice that I find very yummy. In an 8 oz serving there are 60 calories, 0g fat, and 5g fiber. If any one is following weight watchers, this makes for 0 points.

kaplods
05-17-2009, 07:42 PM
My favorite way to use V-8, is to use it as a soup or as a soup base. I'll add one 12 oz can of V-8 and a 15 oz can of chicken broth (or 2 cups water and a bouillon cube) and then add chopped and sliced veggies (leftovers or fresh, frozen, canned, dehydrated, whatever I have on hand and feel like putting in). Sometimes I'll make a brothy sort-of-chili by stirring in beans and ground beef/tvp mixture to spicy V-8.

I do count it as servings of vegetable (because I follow an exchange plan, and it's listed in the exchange booklets as a vegetable), but I don't try to use it as my main source of vegetables. My exchange minimum for veggies is three servings, so I try to choose "real" vegetables for those, and use V-8 for a fourth veggie (if I consume more than 1 veggie's servings of V-8, I count the calories to use toward my "optional" exchanges).

Phantom Goddess
08-09-2009, 04:15 PM
They make a high fiber V8 juice that I find very yummy. In an 8 oz serving there are 60 calories, 0g fat, and 5g fiber. If any one is following weight watchers, this makes for 0 points.

I haven't heard of this before. It sounds way yummy!!!

Tickle83
09-29-2009, 02:58 PM
Very good to know!

blueberry3
09-29-2009, 06:01 PM
I think it is only if you drink the original one -- not the fruit splash ones...

Lucky Charms
10-05-2009, 11:09 AM
I have a cook book that uses V-8 juice as part of the base for pasta e fagioli. It's one of those books where the author tried to figure out a restaurants recipe, which in this case is Olive Garden's pasta e fagioli. I have to say it test the same, and I think part of what makes it so good is the addition of the V-8.

As for rather it is a serving of veggies I see it as a supplement to my veggie eating, but not the main source of veggies. I wouldn't drink 8 glasses a day and think I am doing well in the veggie department. Occasionally I do have a glass and count it as 1 veggie.

One of my goals this winter is to make more homemade soups. Kapolds you have made me realize that I can use your base and make a variety of soups with veggies and beans.

MommaV
10-07-2009, 06:44 PM
I don't think its a good source of veggies... the best option is always fresh whole vegetables.

kaplods
10-07-2009, 07:43 PM
One of my goals this winter is to make more homemade soups. Kapolds you have made me realize that I can use your base and make a variety of soups with veggies and beans.

Yep, I don't get bored with soup, and almost never eat canned soup (at least not without doctoring it trememdously) because I make so many varieties, most are quick "dump and simmer" recipes. I do keep Aldi's brand tomato and cream of mushroom soups on hand (49 cents, and better than Campbell's in my opinion), but mostly to use as an ingredient in another soup or casserole. I'll make a faux clam chowder once in a while using the Aldi cream of potato as a base, and add a tsp of clam flavored "Better than Bouillon" soup base, some diced onion, and chunks of whatever white fish I have in the freezer or leftover baked fish (I've used cod, crappies, walleye...).

I do keep several soup bases like the Better in the pantry and fridge. Some tend to be high in salt, so you've got to take that into acccount. The Better than Bouillon brand has maybe a dozen varieties, including two or three vegan options (the vegan flavors are vegan no chicken, vegan no beef, and I believe the mushroom flavor).

I also like to get broth, mushroom, and wine powders from Spices Etc. The broth powders dont taste very good on their own, because they don't contain any seasonings, just the powdered meat, but they boost the flavor of other broths and stocks without adding salt. The cheese powders and other flavored powders are great too (like powdered soy sauce, horseradish...) for adding to light sour cream for a dip or sprinkling on popcorn...

spygirl05
04-14-2010, 04:25 AM
I don't mind the V8 fruit frusions. But like others have said, whole foods are better for fiber.

astrophe
04-14-2010, 10:37 AM
I count it as a veggie exchange. The v8 fusion would be fruit.

A.

pferde01
06-21-2010, 12:23 AM
I'm doing a medical weight loss program and they have me count v8 as vegetable servings, the sugars in the juice count as veggies carbs (they are natural sugars).

On a side note they will not let me drink v8 Fusion or v8 splash even though I am allowed to have fruit ... I'm not sure why. It might be that they add sugar to the fusion? Or it might be that the amount of fruit carbs it has is more than I'm allowed to have at my rung. The only v8 they will let me have is the regular v8 veggie juice and diet v8 splash.

2Bees
07-13-2010, 07:08 PM
OOOOh I must go search for the high fiberV-8 tomato juice. I count it as a veg-cooked tomato has all sorts of good benefits for you-just not all your vegetable servings for the day. I believe it is a good source of potassium too.

Word of warning on the v-8 FUSION . Don't buy the low calorie version.Use the original. The low cal has half the nutritional value and has added corn syrup.
Compare the labels you will see what I mean. Drink 2 oz less and have a better product.

theblueeyedgirl
09-28-2010, 02:10 PM
I like the v-8 high fiber version, but have found that it is sometimes hard to find. It tastes the same to me as the regular v-8, but since I follow the weight watchers plan I like the zero point value.

CourtneyDaisey
10-10-2010, 02:43 PM
I love V-8 juice. I just put a touch of worcestershire sauce and a dash of powdered garlic and it becomes a Virgin Mary! Yum!

teacherlady79
11-07-2010, 08:39 PM
Most of what I've seen on v8 Splash and V8 Fusion (even though I LOVE them) is that they are just.... juice. Not a substitute for real fruit or veggies, and not really much (if any) better than any other juice.

lantana
02-12-2011, 12:16 PM
The first juice listed on the label is sweet potato juice. They are considering THAT a vegetable? HMMMM. It's tasty but I call it fruit and only drink it very watered down.

You can up the fiber in it with Benifiber if you can't find the high fiber variety. Whatever fiber is in high fiber v8 is probably added in, and not the original fiber from the tomato or other "vegetables".

DianaG
02-13-2011, 07:55 PM
I love the low-sodium V-8 as a mid-morning snack and consider it a vitamin addition to my daily diet. I haven't seen the high fiber one, does it come in low-sodium as well?

I'm not a fan of V-8 splash or fusion since only root veggies are used for the veggie portion (sweet potato and carrots are the base for the Acai berry one), but my husband likes the diet ones. I think they would be better if they used Spinach, Celery and tomato like the regular V-8 does.

kaplods
02-13-2011, 11:07 PM
The biggest problem with juices (fruit or veggie) is the loss of the fiber. Juicing concentrates the calories, meaning you don't get as full, or worse become more hungry (these are carb calories, some of them sugars. And carbs without fiber tend to trigger hunger for many people, especially if not paired with fat or protein).

LauraGina
02-22-2011, 09:43 AM
glad to see this posted. I have to admit that I rarely eat fruits and vegetables. (something that I am changing. :) ) I will be putting some V8 and more vegetables in my fridge today.

MissKoo
02-24-2011, 06:50 PM
It is great w/a little bit of tabasco sauce! Seriously. In a glass over ice with a celery stalk.

Just don't add the vodka . . .

tommy
02-25-2011, 08:18 PM
V-8 regular or spicy makes a great instant soup. In a mug on a cold day it takes the chill right off. Years ago I would put it in a thermos for my lunch along with a bag of air popped popcorn and toss some in as I ate for crunch and interest. (not all at once or it gets soggy)

daddysonlygirl2
03-24-2013, 03:50 PM
Never thought of using V-8 juice as a soup. Thanks for the idea

Psychic
03-24-2013, 08:59 PM
I love low-sodium V8. Its tasty, even though I HATE tomatoes). I count it as a serving of veggies. I eat enough fiber without it having pulp anyways.