General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-16-2008, 09:06 AM   #1  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Default Find your Phobia

Way back in the dark ages when I was seeing a Psychiatrist about my phobia (Entomophobia -- fear of insects), he told me that almost everybody probably has at least one phobia (basically, an irrational level of fear) -- but the lucky ones have just never bumped into the thing they are phobic about.

Anyway . . . here's a list to help you identify yours . . . . . . http://www.everydayhealth.com/public...iving_20080816
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 09:46 AM   #2  
*Courtney Rae*

S/C/G: 245/217/160

Height: 5'5

Nyctophobia: Fear of night or darkness ...Prolly somewhat common, but makes me feel silly being a grown woman and not wanting to be home alone when its dark out. I turn EVERY light on in the house. and the prolly not so common (im the only person i know with this fear) well i suppose someone else had to have had this fear for it to actually have a word,but.... Peladophobia- Fear of bald people This was a big problem in highschool since it was the "cool" thing for guys to do. I has more anxiety attacks then i could handle

BTW i went here to get a big list of phobias

Last edited by CandyKisses0204; 08-16-2008 at 09:47 AM.
CandyKisses0204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 09:50 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 315/156/135

Height: 5'7"

I am terrified of balloons (yes, the ones that kids play with). I don't see it listed, but I always thought I was the only one until I saw an episode of Oprah where she admitted having the same fear. I can't stand the feeling of them or the sound when you rub your finger down the side of one. My chest closes up and I can't breathe or I start to get sick. I'm a lot of fun at birthday parties!
Mom2QJandT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 10:27 AM   #4  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Ornithophobia- Fear of birds. That's me and I've been that way since I was a kid. They're OK in trees or flying but not acting strange - or injured or dead.
I'm OK with roast chicken.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 10:51 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthxxx View Post
Ornithophobia- Fear of birds. That's me and I've been that way since I was a kid. They're OK in trees or flying but not acting strange - or injured or dead.
I have a similar fear of anything that flies in enclosed spaces so if a bird or a moth flies in the house I'm outta there. I could never keep a caged bird.

Kitty
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 11:05 AM   #6  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2QJandT View Post
I am terrified of balloons (yes, the ones that kids play with). I don't see it listed, but I always thought I was the only one until I saw an episode of Oprah where she admitted having the same fear. I can't stand the feeling of them or the sound when you rub your finger down the side of one. My chest closes up and I can't breathe or I start to get sick. I'm a lot of fun at birthday parties!
Do you think you might have a latex allergy??
The trouble breathing made me think that, hmmmmmmmmm.
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 12:26 PM   #7  
No surrender, no retreat

S/C/G: 170/148! :D /134

Height: Vertically comfy 5'2"; horizontally challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2QJandT View Post

I was like this as a kid and so was my son. He's 15 now and still isn't crazy about balloons. I don't find this phobia weird at all -- in fact, I always thought it was fairly common!

My phobia? SPIDERS! Literally make my toes curl up. Through the years I've managed to get over the small, little ones (the kind you could squish with your eyes) but most of 'em? I can't even look at them. My aunt is the same way. Aaah, my toes are cramping just writing about them!!
Hat Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 04:28 PM   #8  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthxxx View Post
After seeing the movie "The Birds" I've always been wary. I've been dive bombed by a bird after walking under a tree where it was nested. Scared me for days. I get creeped out by red-winged blackbirds. They've been known to chase people away. Gives me the willies.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 04:42 PM   #9  
Used to be Archy

S/C/G: 220/171/145

Height: 5'4

My little sister has an irrational fear of clowns. We couldn't even go to a McDonalds it was so bad. Being a good older sister though, I would buy those little clowns at a dollar store and put them in her room.

Me? I'm claustrophobic. Or more of a fear of still air. I have to fan myself sometimes on a plane because otherwise I'll start freaking out.
Eves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 04:49 PM   #10  
Waiting on a hot body

S/C/G: 165/153/135

Tocophobia = fear of child birth. It is a reason I keep going to school despite being married... to delay the process longer.
MalibuBeachBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 05:03 PM   #11  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Height: 5'5

Ornithophobia- Fear of birds. - for me too, Ruth. They're not okay in cages, in trees, or in the sky. I HATE birds. They're only good on my plate or in my belly.

I went to the zoo with a friend once and we were at an exhibit for..... some other continent so there were all sorts of animals in the same area - and everything was great until I turned around and there was an owl. He was in a cage, behind a glass wall, and still I was so scared I just froze. It took my friend like four minutes to notice I wasn't moving, so he came up to me and I had tears RACING down my cheeks. He had to pick me up and carry me out.

I've also missed a few classes on campus because Alaska has HUGE ravens, and if there's a bird between me and my classroom, it wins. I won't even think about walking past it.

Also have a HUGE fear of driving. Don't have my permit yet - and it's extremely frustrating.
GradPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 06:46 PM   #12  
Nordic Loser

S/C/G: 290/t/220

Height: 5' 6"

I still haven't found anything that I would fear. Of course there are plenty of things that I don't like, but calling it a fear would be too strong.
Lady Pantsalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 06:58 PM   #13  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

I have a fear of blood, but only my own. Im ok with other peoples, i mean its kinda gross but i dont end up running away from it, but if i start bleeding quickly and unexpectedly, i get quite shakey and naseaus, i go pale and cry and have to sit down and get someone to clean me up. Lol very embarassing when it happens in my dojo and i have to get the other black belts to do it for me!
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 07:06 PM   #14  
KLK
Karen: La Cicciona

S/C/G: Sz 24-26 / Sz 12-14 / Sz 6-8

Height: 5' 4"

I'm slightly claustrophobic. I don't freak out of have panic attacks in enclosed spaces, but my worse personality traits come out in force -- impatience, irritability, nervousness.

I don't know if this is a "phobia" per se, but I also feel extremely aggetated when I'm in the heat, and particularly if i'm in the sun (hence my distaste for the beach).
KLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 07:10 PM   #15  
M.S. + living balance

S/C/G: 325/200's/199

Height: 5'10"

I am afraid of needles. When I had to start injecting medication for my health I literally couldnt do it for the longest time despite it being one of the smallest gauge needles out there. I've never experience a cold sweat like that of the one that would come on by me sitting alone with an auto injector, trying to muster up the will to hit the trigger and launch that needle. I still cant watch needles break my skin.

Took over two years. But I can atleast use my autojector now Used to be terrified of hospitals and doctors too. Had to get over that...

Last edited by valpal23; 08-16-2008 at 07:11 PM.
valpal23 is offline   Reply With Quote