Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-15-2008, 03:21 PM   #1  
Observer of Phenomena

Height: 5' 4"

Unhappy Another foot injury and a long sob story.

I read the post the other day from someone with a foot injury, and it encouraged me to 'fess up already. I've gained back almost 10 lbs. since I had a foot injury about a month ago!

I've already been struggling with biceps tendonitis for a long time, but I could always work around it. About 4 months ago I found a PT who was finally making a difference. Just as that started to improve, I began experiencing pain in my foot, and it wouldn't go away even with some modifications in my fitness routine. Went to the doc, and it turns out it's peroneal tendonitis and it could take another month or more to heal. I have to wear an aircast when I'm out and about.

To me, exercise has always been what kept my program humming. I'm hypothyroid but have (had) a great metabolism because I'm active, active, active. The gym every day, biking and hiking on weekends, walking or biking instead of driving. But with a shoulder and a foot injury at the same time, it's been rough. I'm only able to do some pilates and some pool exercises (the latter of which, in order to do, I've had to upgrade my gym membership and drive over 20 miles while my regular gym is like five minutes from home). I feel so sluggish and squishy.

So, the exercise is a huge strike against me. Here's the other: having to spend so much time at home elevating my foot, soaking my foot, etc. I get bored, and depressed, and I snack. A lot. Did I mention I've been snacking A LOT? There were days when I went at it non-stop. I work remotely and that use to mean partly at home and partly at libraries and cafes when I needed a change of scenery. Now it means home, all the time.

I'm now trying to get back to my commitment to calorie counting, and I suppose I'll have to lower them substantially now that I'm sedentary. I'm struggling really hard to get back on track! But at the very least, I have to be able to fit into my fall clothes in a month, because I can't afford a whole new wardrobe.

Just looking for some support I guess...

Last edited by 3Beans; 08-15-2008 at 03:22 PM.
3Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 03:34 PM   #2  
Becoming better overall

S/C/G: 199/160/125

Height: 5' 3"

Aww.. I'm really sorry to hear about the foot injury.
Don't worry about it, it might take a bit slower but that is still amazing that you are trying to exercise. I know if it was me, I would probably have given up on the exercise part. You'll get through it, it's a rough patch. I know being at home a lot usually means snacking and eating out of boredom, maybe you could take this opportunity to try out some new low-calorie recipes? Stuff you can snack on throughout the day maybe.
I'm going back to school in two weeks and my summer classes just ended, and I know lazy you get when you're stuck at home.. Today I tried out a fake fudge recipe, it isn't the greatest recipe, but it was still an experience.. I've been snacking on that with a glass of milk to get rid of my chocolate cravings (TOM coming up) and it's working..
But anyway, yay for starting over!! Good luck!
Starrynight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 03:38 PM   #3  
carinna

That's so tough, because there really aren't a lot of options for exercise without the use of your foot. So I'm not sure what to suggest on that front. As far as the snacking is concerned, now that's something you can control. And I bet you that if you get rid of your junk food, and only have healthy snacks on hand, once you start eating those you will start to feel a little better. It's always a boost when you know you're in control of something, and it's not in control of you.

I hope you are feeling better soon. Best of luck to you.
carinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 03:43 PM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Injuries stink - I know first hand. BUT - using them as an excuse to eat off-plan is counterproductive, especially on a lower extremity injury (where gaining weight could actually SLOW recovery). It'll be harder to stay on plan, and even harder than that to have consistent losses, without exercise, but honestly? You'll feel 10 million times better if you consistently do the best you can.

Forgive my elements of tough love here, but remember, last August, I was in EXACTLY the same boat. I sank into self pity mode a bit, because I wanted to exercise and couldn't. I started down that constant snacking, boredom path...and I felt bad about myself and about my habits. Then I snapped out of it, due to some tough love from several chicks here, and I actually HIT GOAL during that low-exercise time period.

So get back on it...you can DEFINITELY do this. Instead of letting it be a sob story, make it a drive to be even better, do as much as you can, get your body back in fighting shape, and move forward. for coming back and confessing, and for getting back on track!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 04:42 PM   #5  
start march 29 2008

S/C/G: 286/140/135

Height: 5'4''

Don't let it beat you- think how hard you worked to get that 10 lbs off in the first place.
lifechange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 04:58 PM   #6  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Hey 3Beans!
I think maybe it's my post you read...or maybe another. I just realized I have a foot injury on Tuesday. It really got me down, but then, I realized that I have worked WAY to hard to get to where I am to give up or give in. I walk around w/ my walking cast and yes, I'm in pain, but that is nothing to the pain I feel when I'm out of control with my eating. I have decided to do weight lifting and swimming only, but I'm being extra careful with my eating. Yes, it's easier said than done, but the point is that it CAN be done. Maybe you could think of something else to do while you're soaking or elevating your foot? How about watching people on youtube discuss weight loss? I find that motivating. Even if some of their advice is for people with functioning feet, you can still save that memory for a future that includes a healed foot. In the past year, I had struggled with chronic daily migraines. I had one doctor tell me I might have a brain tumor. I thought my life was over, so this is nothing in comparison...this is a bump in my road (not to undermine your stress, I"m just talking about how I feel). I also know there are people with permanent foot injuries that would love to have the opportunity to heal, so we're actually pretty lucky. Finally, maybe you could do something crafty instead of eating? I sometimes crochet...as hoakey as it sounds, I can't eat while I do it! Sorry my post is so choppy....I'm in a bit of a hurry. Hugs to you!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 05:34 PM   #7  
Observer of Phenomena

Height: 5' 4"

Thanks for all the support!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckymommy View Post
Hey 3Beans!
I think maybe it's my post you read...or maybe another.
Yup, Luckymommy, it was your post. I'm a knitter, btw, so if crafting is hokey, I'm hokey too! I do knit while I soak my foot sometimes.

I'm also doing water exercises, but unfortunately, I can't actually do lap swimming because of my shoulder. So, while sitting on one of those foam noodles to keep my feet from touching bottom, I've been doing cross-country ski moves in place, pool running in the deep end, kickboarding, leg lifts, etc. sometimes with small water weights in my hands to increase resistance (as long as it doesn't aggravate my shoulder). I went to an aquafit class twice to learn some exercises, which was helpful if a bit slow paced for me. It's a decent workout, but I'm used to high impact cardio, floor, and sculpt, with music and choreography, so it's a kind of hard to stay motivated. I'm keeping at it, though.

I should add that I've really piled on the pounds by my most recent weigh-in because last week, in addition to all this other stuff, I had a bad summer cold and couldn't go to the pool at all. Didn't help my morale one bit.

Anyway, I wish I could use this time to try new recipes but cooking (and cleaning up) involves more standing and walking around then you realize when your feet feel okay! As for junk food, we never have any in the house. I've just been eating what we have in excess. My SO picked up a bunch of fruits and veggies at the farm stand yesterday, though, so I've had some good stuff to munch on today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
Injuries stink - I know first hand. BUT - using them as an excuse to eat off-plan is counterproductive, especially on a lower extremity injury (where gaining weight could actually SLOW recovery). It'll be harder to stay on plan, and even harder than that to have consistent losses, without exercise, but honestly? You'll feel 10 million times better if you consistently do the best you can.

Forgive my elements of tough love here, but remember, last August, I was in EXACTLY the same boat. I sank into self pity mode a bit, because I wanted to exercise and couldn't. I started down that constant snacking, boredom path...and I felt bad about myself and about my habits. Then I snapped out of it, due to some tough love from several chicks here, and I actually HIT GOAL during that low-exercise time period.

So get back on it...you can DEFINITELY do this. Instead of letting it be a sob story, make it a drive to be even better, do as much as you can, get your body back in fighting shape, and move forward. for coming back and confessing, and for getting back on track!
I appreciate the tough love. I need it. There are so many good points here.

I think watching the Olympics woke me up too. Seeing all those athletic bodies and the amazing things they could do reminded me of how good I feel when I'm healthy and fit!

Last edited by 3Beans; 08-15-2008 at 05:42 PM.
3Beans is offline   Reply With Quote