UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 08-14-2008, 05:35 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 266/207/136

Height: 5'6''

Talking bonjour

Hello. My name is groovybabe and I have been writing a weightloss blog for a year now but I thought I would come over here and meet some likeminded people.

When I started to lose weight in may 07 I weighed 19 stones. I went on to lose 5 stones over 7 or 8 months but the last 4 or 5 months I have put a stone back on so I am now trying to lose the remainder 4 stone I have to lose.

So I am just over here saying hi.

I go to the gym (when I can be bothered!) and I am using wlr to log my food, which I find really helpful. Chatting to others is a good source of motivation too.

gr00vybabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 05:45 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

Hi Grooveybabe. We started out weightloss journey around the same time and I'm a fellow Brit. Glad to see you're back in the groove after a little detour on your weightloss journey.

Remember, when the going gets tough, the tough get going.

Kitty
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 05:48 PM   #3  

Hi Kitty, thanks for responding. You've lost 90lbs? wow! thats fantastic! It changes your life doesnt it!!
Old 08-15-2008, 04:49 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 11st13lbs/11st13lbs/10st

Height: 5 feet 8.5 inches

Hi Groovybabe, I have just started back on here after a year's absence and a weight gain of 7lbs, I am trying to lose around two stone on a low fat diet and doing some exercise instead of being a couch potato! Look forward to chatting with you
tracyj69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 05:45 AM   #5  
Hatchling

S/C/G: 160/146/122

Height: 5'2"

Hiya Gr00vybabe

I Joined a few days ago too as I have 1st to lose that went on over a very stressful work/Uni life imbalance!

I think we are in the right place, I have never found such a motivating and inspiring board as this one.

Good luck on your journey

Lou
x louise x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 05:56 AM   #6  

thanks guys its great to meet you.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:07 AM   #7  
Madcow aka Sarah

S/C/G: 274

Height: 5ft 3"

Hi all

I re joined after an absence of a few years and have found my old posts from 3 years ago!

Kitty please let me know how you have lost your weight! I am seriously impressed. I am 266 now and I don't even want to think of a target as it seems so long away.

Groovy again I am impressed. I was doing Slimming World but had to leave due to changing my job. I enjoyed the classes so may look into returning as it worked for me when I tried it before. I wish I had kept on going!
Madcow
madcowsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 06:23 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcowsj View Post
Kitty please let me know how you have lost your weight! I am seriously impressed. I am 266 now and I don't even want to think of a target as it seems so long away.
Well in the past I've done Weight Watchers (x3) and lost and gained, Slimming World (x2) and lost and gained, Rosemary Conley and lost and gained and probably a dozen other attempts at losing weight and lost and gained. Can anyone see a pattern here?

So this time around I knew doing the same thing was not going to lead to permanent weightloss so I decided to make changes that I could sustain long-term. I wouldn't 'diet' in a fashion that I would not want to spend the rest of my life doing. So I count calories (1400-1500) a day but also keep the percentage of my calories from fat low (less than 30%). I went to my GP and asked for help, I'm 44 years old and never sought help over losing weight before. She prescribed me Xenical which has been a great tool in me losing weight but only that, without the dietry changes I would not have lost the weight. Its not a cure all magic pill just a little aid to make me accountable and has made my loss quicker than on previous attempts.

So there you have it, I'm on the verge of a 16 year low and feel like I did in my 20s. And yes, its changed my life.

Kitty
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 06:32 AM   #9  

kitty - i used xenical too and I think you describe it well. I think it is one of the better pills to take because it re-teaches you to eat properly.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:37 AM   #10  
Madcow aka Sarah

Kitty

I am inspired!!!!

I have just posted on another thread where Groovy has echoed the exact same things you have said. Calorie counting, more exercise, healthy eating and Zenical. I have not ever tried calorie counting before and am confused with the whole "diet lark". Like you have done RC, WW, SW with little or no success. I think i have incorporated all the lovely good parts of these diets such as eating chocolate if you sin it, diet coke cos its diet rolled all my good parts together and have formed my own diet SWRCWW diet! Ha ha ha! Wonder why it has not worked mmmmmmm!!!!!!!

Am off to smiths now to find a calorie guide and a nice book and starting tomorrow am calorie counting and trying to get in more exercise. Off to speak to my nurse as she may be able to help too! Thanks for the inspiration and I will let you know how I get on

Old 08-15-2008, 06:43 AM   #11  

You can drink diet coke if you wish. Its not fantastic, nutritionally speaking, but it won't harm your diet. One thing I would say though is try to avoid sugar. Sugar is really evil. I think its as addictive and dangerous to a diet as an narcotic is generally. Every time I have had a sugary snack it has ended up rendering my motivation useless and I have ended up giving in so now I don't have it at all. That means no cakes, cookies, sweets, ice cream etc etc.... Obviously you cant avoid all sugar, and nor should you, but I really would avoid the obvious ones like above. Also I try to cook from scratch and never ever use tinned food. I would also avoid processed frozen food as much as possible too.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:48 AM   #12  
Madcow aka Sarah

In all seriousness chocolate I can take or leave apart from PMT week when it is purely medicinal! I am a savoury eater and I am a swine for crisps, pies and pasties. In general my whole diet sucks. I know that I have to go back to basics little processed foods and pretty much back to good old fashioned foods with loads off fruit and vegetables. Back to basics. More exercise. I work full time and eat the foods I eat because of convenience and time. However I know I have to make changes if I want to lose weight and become more healthy. Watch this space!
Old 08-16-2008, 04:50 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 264/250/140

Height: 5ft 9"

I can't work out how to post a qoute, but Groovybabe wrote:

"One thing I would say though is try to avoid sugar. Sugar is really evil. I think its as addictive and dangerous to a diet as an narcotic is generally. Every time I have had a sugary snack it has ended up rendering my motivation useless and I have ended up giving in so now I don't have it at all."

I SO AGREE!
I just had my first 'bad week' due to sugar intake and I have decided today that I just cannot cope with it in my body so I have made the decision to cut it out of my life.
I hope I can keep it up!
It seriously make's me feel crap and then I eat more crap and just start be crap about my diet etc, so its in the bin!
I also have 9 stone to lose grooybabe, so I am off to read your blog for inspiration!
Good luck and I hope we speak lots!
Bonjul

Last edited by Bonjul; 08-16-2008 at 04:52 AM. Reason: spelling as ever!
Bonjul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 05:01 AM   #14  

hey bonjul, thanks for commenting. Thats the thing with sugar, apart from the initial taste there is nothing good about it at all. As you say it is just crap, full stop. Good luck with your weightloss and if you have any questions feel free to ask away. I hope you found my blog ok, it should be at my name with the uk domain
Old 08-16-2008, 05:06 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 264/250/140

Height: 5ft 9"

I havent found it groovy, can you give me a link please?
Bonjul is offline   Reply With Quote