Old 08-14-2008, 08:19 AM   #1  

Height: 5'7"

Default Broccoli question

I'm trying to create some new recipes that "sneak" in veggies, and I'm stumped about the nutritional info on broccoli - specifically any difference between the flourettes and the stems. To give you an idea of what I'm doing, I'm looking at sneaking broccoli into a sauce. The flavor isn't an issue - it's the texture I'm having problems with.

Here's my question: Nutritionally, is there any difference between the flourettes and stems? Do the flourettes have more fiber than the stems? If so, where can I find specific info on the nutritional stats?

Background: When you finely chop flouretts and include them in a smooth-textured food (e.g., soup, sauce, etc.), they never quite cook down enough to prevent that "nubbly" feeling in your mouth. I'm assuming (possibly incorrectly) that's because the ends of the flourettes are more fiberous than the stems. I'd like to use only stems (peeled, cooked down, and pureed), but now I'm wondering if using stems-only impacts the fiber count on my recipe. (I'm a WW chick - the fiber count is a big deal in calculating points values!)

If anyone can help me here, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
havoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 08:30 AM   #2  
Burning it away

Height: 5'2

Broccoli is very low in fat/sodium & calories so even if they are slightly more in the stems or florets it isn't going to be a huge deal. I really wouldn't worry about it, just count them as you usually would
Spoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 01:07 AM   #3  

Broccoli is my FAVORITE vegetable!!

I don't mind how I eat it. Raw, steamed, boiled, with cheese or without, with butter, mixed with tofu, etc. There's so many ways to enjoy it. It is such a very tasty veggie.
SunshineCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 04:01 PM   #4  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

The USDA Nutrient database has separate entries for the flowers and the stalks. Go to http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/ type in broccoli. Then you'll select broccoli flower clusters raw and get the results for a measure of food. On your next search select broccoli stalks raw and get the results for the same measure.

This database has an incredible amount of information and some of the labeling is worded a little differently. Energy kcal is what we're accustomed to calling calories. It doesn't have a separate listing for fiber.
WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 08:06 AM   #5  
Yes We Can ~Obama

Get an immersion blender, it will hide anything in a sauce. I LOVE my immersion blender. I can even make a healthy protein shake using black beans and frozen berries and never even be aware of the black bleans......seriously, try it.
InnerChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 02:28 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Quote:
Originally Posted by InnerChild View Post
Get an immersion blender, it will hide anything in a sauce. I LOVE my immersion blender. I can even make a healthy protein shake using black beans and frozen berries and never even be aware of the black bleans......seriously, try it.
Now that is amazing. Do you have a full recipe? (quantities, any thing else in it)
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 04:00 PM   #7  
Yes We Can ~Obama

No exact measures but I use these approximate quantities.

1/2 cup black beans
1 banana or 1 cup frozen berries (both if you like)
1 squirt of honey or Agave syrup ( whatever feels right to you)
1-2 cups milk/soy milk/rice milk or almond milk. ( I use almond milk)

Get out the immersion blender and go to town!! Enjoy! Let me know how you like it if you try it.
InnerChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 04:20 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Quote:
Originally Posted by InnerChild View Post
No exact measures but I use these approximate quantities.

1/2 cup black beans
1 banana or 1 cup frozen berries (both if you like)
1 squirt of honey or Agave syrup ( whatever feels right to you)
1-2 cups milk/soy milk/rice milk or almond milk. ( I use almond milk)

Get out the immersion blender and go to town!! Enjoy! Let me know how you like it if you try it.
Thanks, I will next time I have some leftover black beans.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 12:26 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 204/187/140

Height: 5'8

Have you tried throwing spinach in that shake? It's another super healthy thing that you dont taste when it's in a shake.
Mine is: 9 strawberries, 1/2 c blueberries, 10 raspberries, 1 c spinach, 8 oz V8 fusion light, 1 scoop protein powder, and a cup or two of water. The V8 counts as a serving or fruit AND a serving of veggies... so the shake is 4 fruits and 2 veggies and lots of protein. I struggle eating fruits and especially veggies. This way I'm sure I get it all in.
raw23 is offline   Reply With Quote