Weight Loss Support - What non weight improvements have you noticed?

Sciana
08-13-2008, 03:44 PM
I wanted to start a thread about physical signs that our health is improving aside from weight.

Tomorrow marks the first week of South Beach Diet for me and three weeks of not eating any processed (mostly not eating any!) foods.

Here's what I've noticed:

-my protein level has increased to low-mid normal range when it's always been too low. (because of my job I get to check it every week)

-My iron level was higher, still low but not as close to dangerous.

My skin has cleared up... even on my period! Wowsers! not red faced for the last couple of days! (my red face was chronic, not a skin problem, just always flushed).

I've noticed less oily skin, less itching and irritated skin. (also a chronic face problem)

Less crazy mood swings :) I'm still a bit irritable, but I think I'm not getting enough sleep. In general I feel much more stable and generally more energetic, but don't take away my diet cokes yet!

-Sciana

What changes have you noticed?

Krazedmom
08-13-2008, 04:00 PM
I have noticed that my knees hurt less often, and my cholesterol is much better already!

mandalinn82
08-13-2008, 04:02 PM
1. Cleaner house! No, seriously. To cook healthy meals, I need a clean kitchen, and once the kitchen is clean, I clean everything else.

2. Better control of anxiety, depression, and insomnia symptoms.

3. A bajillion times more energy.

4. Smaller shoe size (they were a size 11 before, so this is no small deal)

Lunabelle
08-13-2008, 04:03 PM
More energy, overall happier, and more endurance :)

JazzyJazz
08-13-2008, 04:05 PM
I dont know if I completely understand what process food are. Could you gals help educating me in this? :dizzy:

valpal23
08-13-2008, 04:08 PM
I can wear heels for longer and walk in wedge sandels that used to be killer.

I feel like I have more control over my own life!!! I have so much confidence back

JayEll
08-13-2008, 04:09 PM
Hey JazzyJazz,

Processed foods are like--refined sugar, refined enriched flour, white rice... Any food that has been pre-made in such a way that it contains stuff like added sugar, high fructose corn syrup, preservatives, "flavor agents," etc.

What else, chicks?

Jay

JazzyJazz
08-13-2008, 04:21 PM
Thank you Jay!:hug:

I have to say this website is the best thing I have ever ran into.

:carrot:

Glory87
08-13-2008, 04:32 PM
More energy, good skin, awesome physicals where doctors are impressed with my test results. I love being able to easily cut my own toenails. It was such a gasping, out of breath big deal before.

suitejudyblueeyes
08-13-2008, 04:35 PM
Like mandalinn, my feet have gotten smaller, by a half size already!

I am spending less money on eating out - I have decided it is not worth it to get mediocre food of questionable quality when I can usually do it better myself!

I can run for 7 minutes now without stopping - I couldn't even do that in middle school! When I first started running I could barely make it a full minute...

Tomato
08-13-2008, 05:03 PM
Amanda, you give a new hope - maybe my feet will shrink, too!
In my case, it is more about the width than the length. I am size 9 - 9.5 but I regularly buy size 10 to squeeze my platypus-nose shaped feet in them.

I think my skin is doing better, I see less signs of rosacea (although my rosacea comes and goes), in spite of the fact that I am constantly eating tomatoes and strawberries - both a no-no for rosacea.

Iconised Ghost
08-13-2008, 05:04 PM
i have found that my asthma has improved quite a bit, I dont know if thats because my fitness has improved or because my breathing patterns have improved. Maybe both :D

walking2lose
08-13-2008, 05:16 PM
Hey JazzyJazz,

Processed foods are like--refined sugar, refined enriched flour, white rice... Any food that has been pre-made in such a way that it contains stuff like added sugar, high fructose corn syrup, preservatives, "flavor agents," etc.

What else, chicks?

Jay

Some examples of processed foods would include foods that have been changed from their natural states - usually lots of fat, sodium, sugar, and other preservatives are added. Usually the food is cooked at high heat and packaged. Processed foods generally do not "go bad" for a long time. They aren't all bad, but many are not the best for your body.

Some typical processed foods

-Junk food (chips, snack cakes, etc.)
-hot dogs, lunch meats
-Most frozen meals like Hot Pockets (or Lean Pockets)
-Frozen pizza, bagel bites, poppers, etc.
-Lots of cereals, especially sweet ones
-Most crackers like Ritz, Triscuits, etc, especially if they contain hydrogenated oil

Non processed foods are also call 'whole' foods or sometimes 'clean' foods, as in 'eating clean.' Foods like whole grains, veggies, etc. I read something that said most of the food you eat should pass the "Rot Rule" -- if you leave it out on your counter for a few days and it wouldn't rot, it's usually not good for you. Of course, there are exceptions to this!

KLK
08-13-2008, 05:51 PM
1. LOADS of energy
2. Good, regular, stomach-ache free digestion
3. Able to not just climb flights of stairs, but RUN UP THEM
4. More self-confidence
5. Better hair and skin

lifechange
08-13-2008, 06:01 PM
That is too funny but so right on. It is much easier to cut my toenails!!!

I wish my house was cleaner but living in an all male household plus a dog, I pretty much give up.

My lung capacity is so much improved and that happened quickly.
I don't dread taking the stairs when colleagues lead me there.
I don't worry about the chair I'm about to sit in.
I go to bed earlier at night because I have been more active.
I ride a bike.
I could go on and on- it is really amazing-I need to hold on to this feeling forever.

yoyonomoreinvegas
08-13-2008, 06:04 PM
Blood pressure, resting heart rate, cholesterol, liver function, well, pretty much everything - all gone from dangerous to healthy levels with NO MEDS :carrot:

murphmitch
08-13-2008, 08:56 PM
Lower cholesterol, fewer allergy symptoms, stomach no longer bloated, nails growing better, less heartburn.

Pandora123a
08-13-2008, 09:47 PM
My knees don't hurt. I don't avoid stairs.

SunshineCA
08-14-2008, 12:08 AM
Here's what I've noticed thus far:

~Inches lost
~Fitting clothes I haven't worn in a long time
~Compliments from others
~Lost a chin ;)
~More energy
~Less knee pain
~......and so much more

Apple Cheeks
08-14-2008, 02:16 AM
Here are a few things I've noticed:

* Improvements to my physical abilities:
-- When I started this back in Febuary I could only do "push-ups" against a wall or in a doorway since I had so little strength. I can do them in proper form on my knees now (no sagging back or butt sticking up!), and will probably be moving up to military style push-ups in a few weeks.
--I can run for 40-50 minutes at a stretch now, and my speeds are continually improving.

* I'm not so lazy anymore. I now often will park a further distance away from a store or destination and happily walk, rather than look for the closest parking spot available. I don't mind the extra exercise these days.

* My confidence has returned in leaps and bounds. I feel like a normal person again (despite my height!:lol:). I find it thrilling and quite satisfying to be just an "Average Jane" once again.

* My TOM is no longer the severe-cramps, bad-skin, wild-mood-swing roller coaster ride it used to be.

* And #1: I just feel better about myself, inside and out. :)

lightafterdark
08-14-2008, 03:14 AM
My acne is better when I am not eating processed foods either. Lately its been lots of organic and also high fiber and high protein.
My stomach feels better, I dont feel bloated in the morning like I used to All the time.
I "Feel" lighter even if its just a lb or two that I lose...its weird but it makes me just feel good all over :)
I've cut out ALOT of salt, sodium and sugar from my diet.
I feel healthier all around!

Boomcha
08-14-2008, 05:14 PM
Since doing the elliptical 4-5 times/wk and eating better for the last few months I've gotten rid of knee and joint pain, sleep better (no more sleep apnea), fit into clothes I haven't worn for years and feel much more energetic.

Just discovered today that my resting heart rate has come down 20% :carrot:

Starrynight
08-14-2008, 05:52 PM
Health-wise I've always been healthy but my doctor always advised me to lose weight because I would gain about 10 every year and my family has a history of diabetes and high blood-pressure..
At my highest I was 192, and she wanted me down at least 20 lbs to stay healthy.. Now I'm at 147 and went cold turkey with sugar and processed foods.. so it's safe to assume I'm waaay healthier and a LOT less at risk!
Things I noticed:
- My stretch marks on my stomach are smaller and less noticable
- Toons of more energy!
- Shoe size also dropped to 8 1/2 from a 9
- The foods I eat make me feel good, not gross and full!
- As I keep dropping, it's getting a lot easier to run, not just because I'm lighter but because my inner thighs are a lot smaller and rub against each other less!
- My skin is a lot clearer, though still I have bumps here and there that I think I just need to treat with something..
- Not depressed anymore.. I feel like I have control of my life (also now that I'm in college and everything)
- SO much more confidence to go out and not feel like everyone is looking at my size!! I feel like I can accomplish ANYTHING I set my mind to
- A lot more organized.. if things get cluttered, it gets me depressed and my sleep gets messed up too.. weird but true. Oh yeah, better sleep too
- I'm generally a happier person, I don't procrastinate as much, I'm more confident in voicing my opinions and being myself rather than trying to hide myself!
- I'm wearing clothes to reflect my personality instead of just to wear them, and I walk with a higher chin and I'm starting to realize that I'm beautiful in my own way and there are going to be people who don't think so but there really is a difference between taking care of yourself because you love yourself than if you "fake" your look to cover up insecurities.. I'd rather look the best I can look than always be unhappy and trying to change it.
- My eyes.. I always wanted bigger eyes b/c.. being of South Asian descent, most girls have larger eyes, but my face has slimmed and I'm beginning to see that my eyes really ARE pretty large.
- Less moody, lighter periods, (they used to be VERY heavy and last up to 7 days) but now they are finally regular, moderate and feel normal, and also I have less cramps.. I used to have HORRIBLE, intense cramps..

:carrot: Losing weight has really turned things around for me, and it couldn't have come at a better time! :D

retiredone
08-14-2008, 08:08 PM
This time last year I was having trouble breathing--something similar to asthma. I was having trouble with singing and breath control. My doctor prescribed an inhaler that I used up until after Christmas. Soon as I started losing weight the symptoms became less noticeable and now I don't need the inhaler at all. I can't remember the last time I needed to use it.

I have less knee pain and I can get up off the couch without huffing and puffing like the big bad wolf.

And my feet seem a bit smaller or at least some of my shoes fit better.

I can sleep better.

I can see bones I haven't seen in a long, long time.

Writermom46
08-15-2008, 12:59 AM
I feel lighter and sexier and my shoe size has gone down too. My varicose veins are smaller and hurt less. I can cross my legs and it doesn't look weird. I am happier and more content. Everything seems easier.

luckymommy
08-15-2008, 01:30 AM
I look forward to getting dressed in the morning. I can choose what is cute, rather than what is "acceptable."

I am more social and just all around more conficent.

People treat me like I matter....sad, but true. However, maybe that's because I treat myself like I matter too, right?

I take better care of my skin & my teeth! Weird, but true.

Do I need to mention: more energy? ;)

I can't wait to see what other changes I develop as I reach my goal!

karen0117
08-15-2008, 04:09 AM
Blood pressure improved dramatically, fitting into clothesfrom 3 years ago, more energy, moving better, noticably stronger, getting more done, acid reflux gone.