South Beach Diet - Will my family notice?

View Full Version : Will my family notice?

mul131
08-12-2008, 10:26 PM
So last time I was home (I think about 20 pounds of weight loss at that point) NOBODY in my family said a single word about the fact that I had lost weight. Does anybody else experience this? Today one of my coworkers complemented my new hair cut and new glasses that I had gotten since I last saw him...but i wanted to say, "anything else different!?"

Anyways...most people notice and say something, but I am REALLY hoping that my family says something this time when I go home this weekend.

on another note...i'm making sugar-free whole wheat snicker doodles tomorrow...can't wait!

and another note...i think South Beach should have shirts that they give to people with great results that say something to the effect of, "Brought to you by..." on the front and "the South Beach Diet" on the back.

Fat Melanie
08-12-2008, 10:39 PM
I'm sure that this time they'll notice a change.

It was really annoying the last time I saw my Grandma because she didn't seem to notice the weight I lost (pregnancy and plus some) and made some little snipy comment about my mother and I not being able to fit in some shirt we liked. Hmm. But then I saw her last week, and she noticed I had lost weight, and even guessed my pant size incorrectly (she guessed a smaller size, awesome.) So family can sometimes be difficult regarding that.

How do you make sugar free ww snicker doodles? I want to make that when I get to ph 2 again.

Good luck when you go home this weekend, I'll bet your family will definitely notice and be very proud.

mul131
08-12-2008, 11:11 PM
there's a recipe on this south beach forum for the cookies....i'll post to let everyone know if they turned out ok!

Taurie
08-12-2008, 11:15 PM
Mabye it's because you are tall. It's easier to notice weight changes on shorter people. But, now since you lost 20+ maybe they'll notice.

cottagebythesea
08-13-2008, 06:31 AM
On some people, even though you've lost lots of weight, it takes a while before others start to notice. Case in point - my sister-in-law has been dieting for almost 6 weeks and has lost 25 lbs so far, and I honestly can't see the difference! (But I'd never tell her that)! ;)

AutumnRose
08-13-2008, 07:06 AM
I hope they notice! I would think they would, but who knows. If they don't, just try not to take it to heart.

vealcalf2000
08-13-2008, 07:21 AM
I feel your pain. We're both tall so we can tend to "carry" weight a little better than others BUT when we lose weight it seems like no one notices!:( Don't take it to heart, just keep doing what your doing. Also, as you are losing weight are you buying new clothes to show off your new figure? The other day I put on a pre-diet shirt that's a personal favorite of mine and realized how terrible it looked! It hung off the shoulders and looked like it was melting off me it was hanging so low! Ugh!!!! You're weight loss is awesome, don't let anyone take that away from you!!!!

TwynnB
08-13-2008, 07:37 AM
Matt,

You'd better bring me a sample of those cookies!!

Your dear coworker,

Tammy

PS - I'll personally go kick your momma's butt if she doesn't say something...your weight loss is SOOOOO obvious!!

Thin4Good
08-13-2008, 10:13 AM
My DH just came home on Monday. He has been gone for 3 weeks. I started SB when he left and lost 12 lbs while he was away. - I asked him Monday night if he could see a difference (which I should NOT have done!). He paused, then said, "a little bit" - so. I think that he just said that b/c he didn't want to say no! 12 freaking pounds!!! That's ok though. I can tell a difference. I feel very different! I was also able to wear a dress on Sunday that was too small when I bought it. I didn't try it on in the store an when I got home I found out it was way too small but it fit me perfectly Sunday. YAY!!!

Schmoodle
08-13-2008, 10:30 AM
It's hard to predict. I remember last fall I got together with some friends I only see once a year and had lost 35 lbs. And I felt really different and had gone from size 22 to 16, so I was sure they would notice but nobody said a word, and I was really disappointed. Now I have lost only about 5 lbs in the last three months and EVERYBODY is suddenly noticing a difference, even me, and my clothes are suddenly much looser, like I just dropped a bunch. Sometimes I think things just "rearrange" and that makes a difference.

I think the shirts should also say:
"Eat your veggies"
"Beans and dairy are good"
"South Beach is NOT low carb", and
"Not everybody loses 10 lbs. on Ph1"

bargoo
08-13-2008, 11:21 AM
Are you still wearing the same clothes that you wore when you were heavier? Loose clothes will make you look heavier. Wear something in your new size and I bet they will notice.

grneyedmustang
08-13-2008, 12:49 PM
People are just now starting to notice with me. But I know some people still can't tell. Maybe with the next ten they will be able to tell.

/off topic The snickerdoodles sound SO GOOD!!!!

JulieJ08
08-13-2008, 12:56 PM
Also, people may notice, but not say anything. And for good reason - I've seen many posts on 3FC complaining about compliments they get, because, my god, what did they think before??!! Not that I don't understand the feelings of these posters, but I can see why someone would notice and not say anything. It's a mine field sometimes.

JerseyGirrl
08-13-2008, 01:08 PM
I agree with Julie. I think sometimes people notice but are afraid to say something because one may think "ok so he did think I was fat before" or maybe the person doesn't want to risk saying anything in case you didn't lose weight and just look slimmer in the outfit you are wearing that day and they don't want you to think that they feel you need to lose weight.

Some people in my family do not want to acknowledge other's weightloss because they feel if they say something like "you look thinner" you may think that you are looking good enough to stop dieting. A little ridiculous, I know.

I also have a grandmother who takes credit any time anyone loses weight because of her negative comments to them. She feels she "pushes" them to do it. I've told her hundreds of times that it doesn't push someone to diet it just pushes them to feel like crap, but she's 80 years old and set in her ways. When she directs these comments towards me when I plateau I just respond with "well then it is a good thing I'm losing weight for myself and not you."

pamatga
08-13-2008, 02:26 PM
I never thought about how the "old weight" clothes would make me look fatter. I just had some pictures taken the other night and I went home and I quickly downloaded on my computer to see how they looked (I can never tell by how they are on the back of tha tiny window on digital cameras). The ones from the front made me look 50 lbs heavier but from the side I looked 50 lbs lighter. I would never had thought that! I was just enjoying the fact that they were so roomy. :o

These were the clothes that I brought with me for an extended stay 1000 miles away from home. I would love to buy some new clothes right now but I have been helping my Dad out financially while I have been here. Well, as soon as September comes I am getting me a new bra and a few new clothes. It is time to start advertising!!

As for the t-shirt, well, here I go swimming upstream again. I want a t-shirt that gives me all the credit! After all, it was me doing more than reading the book, I applied what was in between those pages!!

I say give credit where credit is due!;)

JulieJ08
08-13-2008, 02:35 PM
I never thought about how the "old weight" clothes would make me look fatter.

I know what you mean. Some are worse than others. I had a pair of pants that weren't quite falling off yet, but I just refused to wear them anymore. There was a lot of extra space in the leg, and the fabric was stiff enough that you couldn't tell it was empty space :o.

mul131
08-13-2008, 02:42 PM
thanks everyone! I have been wearing a lot of new clothing...that i couldn't wear before. Even today I put on a button down shirt that fit, but was slightly tight a few weeks ago, and today it seems to be too big. I'm hoping that my mom will give me some dough to go shopping with! have a great day everyone!

Loriann7
08-13-2008, 02:44 PM
thanks everyone! I have been wearing a lot of new clothing...that i couldn't wear before. Even today I put on a button down shirt that fit, but was slightly tight a few weeks ago, and today it seems to be too big. I'm hoping that my mom will give me some dough to go shopping with! have a great day everyone!

SEEEE!!! They ALWAYS come back! (both my parents died before I was 18, so I never had a home to go home too! how did I luck out?)

Loriann7
08-13-2008, 02:54 PM
I try to talk with my sister about my weight loss. a) she's tired of hearing it because I lose and gain it all back. *(which I am trying to not let happen this time around.) and b) she can never seem to lose her weight. When I start talking about my PCOS, or southbeach, she grows silent, as if to say telepathically "she's judging me again." which is NOT true. I love my sis and would love for her to just try this, but I think she carries her weight nicely. Unlike me who carries it around the midsection, hers and her daughters is evenly distributed, and being tall helps!

So sometimes people don't say anything because they are jealous you are losing and they haven't found that motivation to make it happen for themselves. Not saying my sister is like this, but sometimes I wonder.

erikalea
08-13-2008, 06:51 PM
Hey, Matt - it just occurred to me that the coworker who noticed your hair and glasses might have noticed THEM because of your weight loss. You know how sometimes you know someone looks good, but you're not quite sure what it is that's changed, so you look and maybe notice the hair or something, but actually they look healthier and you just couldn't quite put your finger on it. :)

mul131
08-13-2008, 06:53 PM
erikalea - that's kind of what i thought also. Either way doesn't matter to me!

cottagebythesea
08-13-2008, 07:53 PM
I think the shirts should also say:
"Eat your veggies"
"Beans and dairy are good"
"South Beach is NOT low carb", and
"Not everybody loses 10 lbs. on Ph1"

Add to that, "Have you read the book?" ;)

mul131
08-15-2008, 06:23 AM
My Mom lastnight when i got home just kind of kept looking at me then finally said, "wow...you really have lost a lot of weight." to which I replied, "yeah, i have....43 pounds in 3 months!!" and then she said, "43 pounds?!?!?? I wish I had your will-power!":D:D:D:D:D:D:D:carrot:

cottagebythesea
08-15-2008, 06:24 AM
:bravo: Matt!

TwynnB
08-15-2008, 07:22 AM
WoooOooOOOOOOooo Matt!!

Ruthxxx
08-15-2008, 07:46 AM
That's fabulous, Matt. 43 pounds is terrific! :cb:

Thin4Good
08-15-2008, 10:09 AM
:)