100 lb. Club - Annoyed by clothing sizes

View Full Version : Annoyed by clothing sizes

lifechange
08-12-2008, 09:54 PM
I bought a suit jacket in size Large in the spring with the anticipation of fitting into it in the Fall- it was on sale. About three weeks ago, I tried it and it was a little too big. Today, it looked downright awful. This is ridiculous at 200 lbs (and 36DD and 5'4) I should not be fitting into a size Large. They have really changed clothing sizes to make us feel better.

txsqlchick
08-12-2008, 09:57 PM
I bought a suit jacket in size Large in the spring with the anticipation of fitting into it in the Fall- it was on sale. About three weeks ago, I tried it and it was a little too big. Today, it looked downright awful. This is ridiculous at 200 lbs (and 36DD and 5'4) I should not be fitting into a size Large. They have really changed clothing sizes to make us feel better.

I agree. In 1992 I wore a size 6-8 at 120-130 lbs. Now I know people who are in the 130s-140s who are the same height and who wear a size 4. I think sizes have definitely changed in the last 15 years!

GradPhase
08-12-2008, 09:58 PM
At 5'4/5'5, 34D and 140 lbs, I have everything from a small to an extra large in my wardrobe and they all fit. So needless to say, I do not purchase anything at all anymore without trying it on. I can definitely appreciate the frustration. The clothing industry needs to pick a measurement scale and stick with it!

Lyn2007
08-13-2008, 12:46 AM
Yeah, they have changed! In 1988, I weighed about 140 pounds (5'6) and I wore a size ten. Sometimes I would find something marked "8/10" that fit and it made me feel skinny! Sizes have REALLY changed.

kissingginger
08-13-2008, 12:57 AM
Hey does that mean when I weigh 140-150 pounds I might be a size 4 or 2?? I don't know why, but I find that really funny!

Ginger

bettyred
08-13-2008, 01:43 AM
It's funny because I bought a Just my size tshirt from walmart- just a plain t-shirt and I'm a 5x!!!!!!!! I go and buy a different t-shirt the next day and I'm a 3x LOL Sometimes I think they have no real idea what size is what, I put on a men's tshirt and I'm a 2x LOL I'm just looking forward to being confused with a Large, XLrg, and 1x LMAO

Gela
08-13-2008, 10:53 AM
Vanity sizing irks me to no end. I was in the 130's in the early 90's and wore a junior size 11-13. At 220 I'm a 1X, which I think is small for my weight.

fiberlover
08-13-2008, 11:05 AM
Geez, I wish I could find the places where you all shop! I keep seeing people my height in sizes that I couldn't wear until I was in the 160s - and I work out a lot.

I just got into size 10s now in the mid 140s. Tops are small and medium (usually medium).

Moonring05
08-13-2008, 11:07 AM
I have found that different brands of pants have different sizings or something. I can fit into a size 17 in one brand, but a size 20 in another. It gets really frustrating. I was going through all my old clothes and some pants wouldn't fit that were a 17 but others would.

bargoo
08-13-2008, 11:09 AM
I bought 2 pairs of Gloria Vanderbilt Capris, same store, same time, one is size 6 and one is size 8 and they both fit. Another time I bought a pair of Oleg Cassini Capris size small and I bought the matching jacket size large and believe me I am not a big bosomed girl. I just try everything on and buy what fits and don't fret about what I can't change.

bargoo
08-13-2008, 11:12 AM
I tried on a pair of Docker's size 6 was waaaaay too big. I didn't try on a smaller size but I suspect size 4 would be too big. I didn't buy any,

Here we go again
08-13-2008, 11:22 AM
I totally agree! I have clothes that I wear from 14 to 20. I think that's a pretty big range. Let's take the clothes I'm wearing right now. :)

Capris- size 14
Tank top- size 2X
Button down shirt size 1x

Little confusing what to buy and I'm pretty much even everywhere. I don't have a "problem" area, I'm just big all over. :)

JulieJ08
08-13-2008, 12:28 PM

Sizes are weird. I'm just beginning to fit in a size large. But I suspect I will move into a medium much faster than I went from XXL or XL to large.

mariarose
08-13-2008, 12:50 PM
At 5'4/5'5, 34D and 140 lbs, I have everything from a small to an extra large in my wardrobe and they all fit. So needless to say, I do not purchase anything at all anymore without trying it on. I can definitely appreciate the frustration. The clothing industry needs to pick a measurement scale and stick with it!

Exactly! Purchasing clothes without trying them on has become impossible, even if you think you know what size you wear in a certain brand. I literally own and fit into clothes from a 2 to a 10 (I think there is a size 12 dress from banana republic that fits well, but I can't recall), and feel so silly bringing 3-4 of the same item into the dressing room in different sizes, but it is necessary!

shadowclaw
08-13-2008, 12:58 PM
I completely agree. Sizes are ridiculous! Right now, I'm roughly a size 24. However, I have pants that are size 26 and 22 that fit exactly the same but by different brands. I've also found that different materials always fit differently. I like the Zana-di brand (get it at Fashion Bug), and that's the brand that I wear a 24 in jeans. However, I do have a pair of khakis that are a 26 and fit exactly the same as the jeans, and a pair of black jeans that are 24 and are a bit too big. I have the most horrible time with black pants -- they never fit right. Too baggy in the butt, too tight in the leg, have a sagging crotch... anything to make the pants look bad! Then when I go up or down a size to compensate, it doesn't fit at all.

Mommysince21505
08-13-2008, 03:09 PM
Well 8 years ago I was 155lbs give or take and I was a size 14! So this really surprises me! However, Old Navy if you buy their pants they are always too big. Say I am a size 26 (most all brands of 26s fit me surprisingly) and Old Navy's size 26 is like size 28 it is ridiculous!

nancylmrn
08-13-2008, 03:23 PM
My closet of clothes go from size 10 to 14 it is just so crazy. I bought a large t-shirt the other day and it is too tight and I have a mens med in my dawer that just swims on me...go figure

JazzyJazz
08-13-2008, 03:48 PM
I am a size 0!!!!

at Torrid, they just plain renamed their sizes.

Beverlyjoy
08-13-2008, 03:52 PM
It is hard to buy things without trying them on...yes, I agree. I don't have a clue what size I am. I am changing.

Congrats on your wonderful weight loss!

Star2Be
08-13-2008, 04:47 PM
I agree, sizes are DEFINITELY inflated. I recently got a few shirts in size "Large" and I thought that was totally ridiculous! I've always subconsciously thought of it as S - thin/skinny, M - average, and L - lil' chubby, etc, and I know I'm NOT just a little chubby. I would expect myself to be a 1X/2X or so, so if I somehow magically fit into a shirt that's labeled "Large," it sure seems a little fishy to me! :rolleyes: Heh.

*Edit* Ps. I have a wide range of pants like everyone else, too. At one point when I was wearing an 18 in my now-preferred brand, I still had a pair of size-22 pants that fit well. They might have been a bit baggy, but certainly not in a "four-sizes-too-big" kind of way. I felt a little cheated because I wasn't sure if I had actually gone down in a size or if it was just because I had bought different pants! Now I've basically just picked my favorite brand and I judge only by those pants whether I've gotten smaller.

Pandora123a
08-13-2008, 08:43 PM
Isn't it funny. We are willing to acknowledge that sizes are crazy and mean less than we want them to...but come to the number on the scale and we believe it is magic.

Sharkysmachine
08-13-2008, 09:55 PM
People complain when the clothes run too big and people complain when the clothes run too small. I was reading another site's "Bitter about Bitten" thread where the people complained that SJP's clothing line ran 2-3 sizes smaller than Old Navy and didn't TRULY offer plus sizes.

lifechange
08-14-2008, 03:35 PM
For me it is about consistency- I don't care what the numbers are but quit changing them!!

Here we go again
08-14-2008, 04:08 PM
People complain when the clothes run too big and people complain when the clothes run too small. I was reading another site's "Bitter about Bitten" thread where the people complained that SJP's clothing line ran 2-3 sizes smaller than Old Navy and didn't TRULY offer plus sizes.

I didn't see that thread! I bought a pair of the "booty jeans" I was a size 20. It's a little tight in the booty and thighs but still look good. But I thought booty jeans left room for the booty... I didn't they were a few sizes smaller. In jeans I'm about 18 so 20 isn't that much bigger.