100 lb. Club - Just Introducing Myself

View Full Version : Just Introducing Myself

karens losing it
08-11-2008, 08:40 PM
My name is Karen and I am new to this website. I have been lurking for the past couple of days and decided to join. I weigh 282 lbs currently and would like to eventually weigh 125. It seems so overwhelming having over 100 lbs to lose. But just lurking, I feel supported. Some suggested having mini goals to stay motivated. It really made me feel better when I thought in terms of 30 lbs to lose instead of 157 lbs. Hopefully, I will have something to share along the way. Thanks to all of you already and I look forward to chatting with all of you.

:flow2: :flow2: :flow2: :flow2: :flow2:

lifechange
08-11-2008, 08:44 PM
Welcome Karen!! Another way is to break it up into 10% mini-goals. Then you only have to lose #lbs 10x. You can do it!!

Kelleigh
08-11-2008, 08:44 PM
:welcome2: Karen!
Glad you joined us!

mollymom
08-11-2008, 08:51 PM
:hug::woops:Welcome.. am fairly new here myself..actually am an old member from the earliest days of 3FC who has come back to use the boards to help keep myself on track.

Congratulations on making the decision that it is time to do something good for yourself:carrot: I started out with exactly 100.5 pounds to lose to my goal..which is 170 pounds. I find it funny to think that my GOAL weight is a weight that people say they need to lose 50 pounds BUT I am a tall and big girl...(think scottish peasant lass) and that will put me at a size sixteen..which is okay by me!

I have lost 35 pounds to date...put 15 back on after surgery last year, and my goal is to lost that 15 again by my fiftieth birthday in November. I think in five pound goals...that usually takes me about three weeks...they seem a lot more achievable. There, I only have to lose 5 pounds (twenty times:dizzy:)

What kind of plan have you put in place for yourself - what is your nutrition going to look like, how are you going to exercise, how are you going to go about figuring out and fixing the emotional issues that got you there....I have had to do all three.

BUT..omg it feels great...you eat properly, healthfully (I average about 1600 calories a day and 35-40 grams of fiber) you work out, even if you start very slowly at first..and you work on being happy..and suddenly one day..that scale has moved..then the pants get a little loose, then you need some new underwear, and people start to notice. IT is great:dancer:

If I have one tidbit of wisdom..weigh yourself only once a week. Daily will drive you crazy! I joined TOPS and I get weighed once a week on Thursday night. SAome weeks I dread stepping on the metal monster...BUT if I have truly worked my program..I look forward to it..cause that counter is gonna move to the left!

Best of luck to you...I will keep an eye out for you!

EricaBG
08-11-2008, 08:52 PM
Hey. I'm in the same boat as you. I'm also new to the site and I have 113lbs to lose. I could always use a motivational buddy! :)

flagirl28
08-11-2008, 09:14 PM
Welcome
I Am New Here Too. This My First Week. We Can All Do This Together:)

ann1
08-11-2008, 09:28 PM
Hello & welcome!
I read your blog and can relate to a lot of what you had to say. It can be overwhelming at first, but just take it in small steps. Can you get thru today and this week eating healthy? Sure you can! Can you lose 10 lbs? Sure you can! If you lose 10 lbs a month, that is 60 lbs in 6 months - baby steps - Best of luck!

pengbear
08-11-2008, 09:33 PM
HI there Karen. Losing 100 lbs plus can be very intimidating, but you're on the right track by thinking in smaller goals. This is my first week here too. Look forward to getting to know you better!

jennisue
08-11-2008, 10:18 PM
Hi Karen Welcome--

I found this site a couple of weeks ago and it has made the biggest difference-- I know how much over 100 lbs sounds I began at 260 lbs and I am only 5'2" -- My goal is to get to 120 lbs--

Having support helps cause there are some days that are really hard- Celebrate your success as you move along if you are happy every week that you lose you will find before you know it your down 30 lbs --

If you need help keeping motivated you can PM me or post there are a lot of people here who have already succeeded it is very inspiring.

I am glad you joined.

bargoo
08-11-2008, 10:23 PM
Welcome and good luck!

JazzyJazz
08-11-2008, 10:31 PM
I just started too, I keep thinking of my health and what I am doing to myself. I set up 5 lb goals and makes it much easier to stay motivated.

welcome!!:hug:

Jaz

valpal23
08-12-2008, 01:40 AM
:welcome2: mini goals has been the way to go for me. all the best!

Beverlyjoy
08-12-2008, 04:41 AM
:wel3fc:

Hi Karen...so glad you posted! Yes..mini goals work well for me too. You'll find lots of support, friendship and many ideas here.

Tammy73
08-12-2008, 12:08 PM
Welcome Karen!
Glad to have you here.

Star2Be
08-12-2008, 01:06 PM
Hi Karen! Welcome to 3FC! I'm a relatively new member here as well, but you'll find that it is a GREAT website. As many others have recommended, I think having mini-goals is really helping me get through this. If my overall weight ticker isn't moving fast enough, it's great to see how fast my mini-goal ticker moves! Hehe. Plus, imagine how great you'll feel when you realize someday that you have less than 100 pounds to lose! When I saw the "97 to go" on my ticker, I just about died. ;) I think one of the most important things about losing weight is noticing the little victories of life... You should check out the Non-Scale Victories (NSVs) thread! It feels great to celebrate the mini-things that aren't always reflected by the scale. I think it also really helps to look at the mini-goal pictures that some people post. I've found that they really motivate me because you can see that although losing 20 pounds won't make you a twig, it definitely makes a difference (or at least I'm hoping)!

Best of luck with you weight loss... We're here for you. :D

purpleorc
08-12-2008, 01:21 PM
Hi Karen

:welcome2: to 3fc like other posters have put I broke the amount I had to lose into small amounts of 14 pounds ( I come from the UK so that to me is something called 1 stone) it was so much easier than saying I had 130lbs to lose. Plus when you have reach one of your mini goals it feels great and nice to be setting another mini goal.

I read a huge amount of info on this site and around the internet in general. I also have tried many of the recipes here on the 3fc site and found it great for varying my diet and not becoming bored.

Dumplin
08-12-2008, 01:25 PM
:welcome:
Hi Karen and welcome. I am also in the same boat. I have set my weight goal for 199 this don't seem to stress me out and I want to be happy with that weight if I am not I will decide what I want at that time but for now that is what I am focused on and I cannot wait to get there. Good Luck you can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

H8cake
08-12-2008, 01:25 PM
Isn't it amazing how much it helps to read success stories from others and also how they struggle. It makes one realize that this really is possible.

Mommysince21505
08-12-2008, 01:36 PM
Welcome Karen and all the other new ones to the site! I am not new to the site, but I just recently came back! I never did lose it the first time so definitely going to do it this time! Anyway, nice to meet you and I know you can do it!! I know how you feel about having to lose over a 100lbs! I have to lose about 125lbs myself. If you look at my ticker it says "85lbs" it seems smaller and easier when the pounds I have to lose are reduced! Haha!! Plus, keeps me motivated I guess!

opimisticchick72
08-12-2008, 03:28 PM
Hi Everyone! I am relatively new here as well, but, man, talk about finding a gold mine! The support is outstanding and re-reading old posts has helped me out tremendously in not feeling so alone with weight related issues (far too many to type out, lol). I have found posting on here to be godsend as well. Some of it is for accountability reasons, some of it is for support reasons, and the smallest part is if my hands are on the keyboard then they are likely not holding a twinkie. I missed two days on here because of work and I could tell it in my determination. I didn't mess up those two days, it was just as if something was alittle off. Hope this finds everyone well.

amy

SunshineCA
08-12-2008, 03:40 PM
Hi Karen! :)

Welcome aboard! :carrot:

karens losing it
08-12-2008, 07:54 PM
Hi Molly Mom,

Thanks for the welcome and the great advice. I was thinking about how often to weigh because I am always disappointed if it doesn't go down a pound every day. And, this time I want to take my time so that I lose it for good.

BTW, my PLAN is on my blog here on the site if you are interested. I'd love to hear what you think.

karens losing it
08-12-2008, 07:56 PM
Hey. I'm in the same boat as you. I'm also new to the site and I have 113lbs to lose. I could always use a motivational buddy! :)

Me too. I need all the motivation I can get. I'll be looking out for you.

karens losing it
08-12-2008, 07:59 PM
Can you lose 10 lbs? Sure you can! If you lose 10 lbs a month, that is 60 lbs in 6 months - baby steps - Best of luck!

Thanks for the encouragement. 10 lbs a month is exactly what my goal is for each month. Thanks for taking a peek at blog. It is always good when someone understands where you are coming from.

karens losing it
08-12-2008, 08:12 PM
If you need help keeping motivated you can PM me or post there are a lot of people here who have already succeeded it is very inspiring.

Thank you so much. I was little afraid to post in the beginning because everyone seemed like they were friends already. I wondered if it would be space for me. I really appreciate the support.

karens losing it
08-12-2008, 08:17 PM
:thanks:

Thanks to everyone for the well wishes and the advice on setting mini goals. I think I am going to change my mini goal to 10 lbs because that is my goal for the each month.

Before I came to the site, I was thinking 157 lbs to lose, that is a whole other person and if that person is my height, a mildly overweight other person so why bother. I really do feel better about it now and that I can make it happen especially seeing so many succeeding. Thanks so much for the encouragement.

bumblybee
08-12-2008, 08:21 PM
hey there from one karen to another, good luck and its nice to meet you. i swear i was reading my own stats when i read your post

kitley
08-12-2008, 08:41 PM
Welcome Karen! I am fairly new here too. So far I have not posted a lot...but I read constantly. I have 2 rules that so far are working for me. 1...no computer until I have done my exercising, and 2..no food at the computer. Good luck...you will find what works for you, and there is always lots of support her.