South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 08-11-2008, 11:06 AM   #1  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Smile Yummy Recipes Using Fresh Local/Garden Produce!

We joined a CSA (you buy a share in a farm and, in return, get veggies all season) this summer and it's been a lot of fun! Unfortunately, we traveled a lot, so we've missed some weeks (but our neighbors enjoyed the produce for us!). We also have a veggie garden at home. I figured I'd start a thread for us to share recipes that help us enjoy our produce (especially those inevitable piles of squash!!!).

Just post your recipe in the recipe forums, please, and put a link to it here. That way everyone can find them even after this thread has drifted to another page.

I got this one from Cooking Light: Mediterranean Chicken Salad Pitas. We used homegrown tomatoes and they tasted SO good!

Here's one way we're planning to use up the inevitable squash this week: Fettuccine With Squash Ribbons

There are some great squash recipes in this article at NPR. I can't wait to try the pancakes...with Splenda and all WW flour, of course.

Last edited by beachgal; 08-14-2008 at 12:54 PM.
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 11:19 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Great idea Laurie, I love the veggie threads. And we've missed you!

Just this past weekend I made a veggie recipe that I LOVED. I posted it here:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...19#post2311119
It was simple, delicious, and very pretty. Everything I look for in a recipe.

I have another I plan to try this week that I am not going to post in the recipes because it's untested, but also not completely SB compliant (corn). But I think it may be a way to get some visible-but-not-intimidating zucchini into my kids.

Warm Rice and Corn Salad
Cook rice (brown of course). Add fresh corn, cut from the cob, and grated zucchini to the rice for the final 5 minutes of cooking. Toss with olive oil and season as desired.

Unfortunately I am not drowning in zucchini as I had hoped to be. My plants have powder mold and are dying off one by one.

Last edited by Schmoodle; 08-11-2008 at 11:23 AM.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 11:31 AM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Great idea! Be sure to give exact quantities and number of servings. Only recipes that you have actually made and enjoyed, please. I don't want to have to go back to moderating the entries.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 12:06 PM   #4  
Recovering Sugarholic

Height: 5'3"

Laurie!!! I've missed you!! Please PM me!
JessieW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 12:28 PM   #5  
I can do this!

Good point, Ruth! Sorry I'm already non-compliant! But the one I posted that I haven't tried looks to be well-put-together and should work, I think. If not, I'll change it.

Schmoodle, that recipe sounds gorgeous! Wish I liked anchovies more. I'm such a fish hater...sadly. I'm really getting into the different colors of tomatoes! Cooking Light had a great article all about heirlooms with tons of great recipes in the August issue. Yum! Your rice idea sounds good! I have trouble with powdery mildew every year with my zucchini. I've found that, since I want to keep it organic, the best method is to spray them with milk. I use a ratio of 2 parts FF milk (fat goes rancid and smells, so use FF) to 8 parts warm water, then spray liberally over the plants about once every week or so. It doesn't completely get rid of the mildew, but it seems to hold it off until the end of summer so you get a decent harvest. I just use a pump plant sprayer that I got for about $20 at the feed store, but you could use the handheld kind if you have a small garden. Hope it helps!

Jessie, check your box...great minds think alike...I was PMing you while you posted this! Missed you tons, too, and was afraid I'd come back and you'd have a one year old in arms!

Here's another great squash recipe: Zucchini Patties. I love them!!!

Last edited by beachgal; 08-11-2008 at 12:31 PM.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:50 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Thanks, Laurie, I will try spraying them tonight. I just have a couple left that don't seem to have any mold on them yet. Maybe I can get ahead of it still get a decent crop. I've got tons of blooms.

Last edited by Schmoodle; 08-11-2008 at 04:10 PM.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 01:45 PM   #7  
Recovering Sugarholic

Height: 5'3"

I am going to be non-compliant and post this here since it's not SBD but I am thinking you creative gals could change up some things and make it OK! I made this earlier in the summer and it was soooo tasty and good!

Summer Vegetable Gratin

Ingredients

2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
4 to 5 plum tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch slices
3 to 4 small red potatoes, cut into 1/8-inch slices (about 1/2 pound)
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
1 (7-inch) jar roasted red bell peppers, drained and chopped
2 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon pepper
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1/2 cup finely crumbled cornbread
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
Preparation
Sprinkle bottom of a lightly greased 11- x 7-inch baking dish evenly with garlic. Layer with tomatoes and next 5 ingredients, sprinkling with 1/8 teaspoon each of salt and pepper between layers. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons oil.

Bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Combine cornbread, next 3 ingredients, and remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. Sprinkle over vegetable mixture; bake 10 more minutes or until top is golden. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

Yield

Makes 6 servings
Southern Living, JULY 2003
JessieW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 02:48 PM   #8  
I can do this!

Actually, Jessie, I'm pretty sure that small red potatoes are okay on a "very seldom" basis--like less than once a month. In one of the books, Dr. A explains that the brand new ones (baby, small) have much less starch, so their GI is lower than regular potatoes. I've found that to be true. Of course, you could just substitute yellow (not orange) sweet potatoes, I bet! I'm putting it in the recipe forums, girl! Thanks for sharing!

Oops...just noticed the cornbread. Well, I guess that part you'd have to mess with. Hmm...WW breadcrumbs?

Okay, here's what I posted. Any suggestions?

Last edited by beachgal; 08-11-2008 at 03:10 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:56 PM   #9  
I can do this!

Okay, we made this on Wednesday: Fettuccine With Squash Ribbons and it was great!!! I was thinking that maybe I should have used more garlic as it wasn't very full of lots of flavor when we ate it, but when I reheated it the next day, it was awesome. It didn't fit in my cooking pot, so I tossed it in a big bowl instead. Very yummy and actually pretty quick and easy, too!