Exercise! - too much exercise?

View Full Version : too much exercise?

lizziep
08-10-2008, 08:33 PM
Hi- I am just wondering what everyone considers TOO much exercise?

I am getting really worried about my husband- he is trying to just lose all his weight at once I guess- he bikes anywhere from 1 hour to 2 hours on our exercise bike at home - 7 days a week. And on work days he also walks for an hour at lunch.

I am worried that he is overdoing it and going to hurt himself. He is limiting his calories to about 1400 - 1600 per day too. He's 6 foot 4 and 260 lbs. He has been at this steady for about 3 or 4 weeks.

He refuses to listen to me and actually digs me for going too slowly and working up to higher levels on the bike. I am going for slow and steady wins the race...

I am scared he's going to collapse. What do you guys think?

Crazy Cat Chick
08-11-2008, 12:49 AM
That doesn't sound too bad to me. If he feels comfortable doing that and if he doesn't feel fatigued then he should be fine.

KLK
08-11-2008, 12:55 AM
I dunno anything about men's weight loss, but it seems like 1400-1600 calories might be too few for him, given that he's a guy, he's a big guy, and he's working out so much.

It doesn't seem (to me, at least) that he's exercising too much though -- 1 - 2 hours a day seems within reason.

dcapulet
08-11-2008, 01:16 AM
I also think that 1-2 hours a day is ok, but I think it would be good to have at least one rest day to let his body recover.

lizziep
08-11-2008, 04:40 AM
Thanks! I'll try to chill out! :)

Shannon in ATL
08-11-2008, 03:20 PM
My DH is 6'2", has lost from 257 to 233. He typically cuts his calories to 1800 - was going as low as 1500 and I gave him a hard time because I'd read that below 1800 was dangerous for a man. So, he still goes that low sometimes and just doesn't tell me... He has some mood swings that I think are food related, but I can't be sure.

He doesn't exercise as much as your guy, but I know he used to. I don't think that is too much exercise really. I do agree about rest time - if he does every day he may want to go a little lighter on one day. I've been doing every day, and If I work really hard for all seven I'm worn out. A lower impact seventh day has helped.