South Beach Diet - need some South Beach support!

View Full Version : need some South Beach support!

Sciana
08-09-2008, 10:42 PM
Today is my third day on south beach. I am hating it! or at least my carb cravings are hating it. I want to eat ALL the nuts I bought because they taste richer... I'm feeling discouraged. so I thought I would ask you all how long it took for the cravings to go away? Because right now my protein meal recipes all sound nasty :( though I know I like them in general....

ladybugnessa
08-09-2008, 11:16 PM
third day is always the worst... IME.

for ME i did not worry about portion size in phase 1 just busting the cravings.

so have another string cheese or a hard boiled egg.

for me also a hot cup of coffee or tea helped.

hang in there...

nuts are ok just really high in fat and calories. if you have more than one serving per day you will help bust the cravings but might not lose as much... since this is a long term plan, i'd go for the nuts bust the cravings and plan to take longer to lose...

Pearlrose
08-09-2008, 11:19 PM
Nessa is right, hopefully you should be feeling better tomorrow.

AutumnRose
08-09-2008, 11:34 PM
I am on Ph 1 day 6....... I felt pretty awful days 1-3, felt better on day 4 and felt great on 5. HTH!

skinnybeach
08-10-2008, 01:02 AM
I have been beaching for over 3 years and am currently on p1 again to get back on track! I felt AWFUL yesterday evening, and today have just been wiped. We'll see how tomorrow goes, but hang in there, its worth it. I've lost 30 lbs in less than a year!!

Sciana
08-10-2008, 01:05 AM
Thank you Nessa, Pearl, Autumn... I needed those words of wisdom,and I feel better :) My cravings are so bad! and I'm at work where I have access... but I haven't given in and I don't plan to. I'm just going to hide in my meesly cubicle and not look ANYWHERE on my way to the kitchen to warm up my SB veggie meat lasagne. sigh. I know my cravings are off the chart because I haven't cracked for over two weeks on the dessert front and was seriously considering it!

Loriann7
08-10-2008, 08:59 AM
HI Sciana and welcome to the beach! I hope today goes better for you! And coffee helps me when I have a craving for sweets. :). I allow myself more than the one or two cups. I also bought decaf for my cravings at night!

weezle
08-10-2008, 10:35 AM
I always feel worst on days 3-4 (days 1-2 are full of excitement that I'm sticking to it) and then the real cravings and withdrawal symptoms come on 3-4 when I have the SBD "flu." But after that, I feel energized, satisfied, get more rest, etc.

I started Ph1 again yesterday and hear ya on wanting to eat the entire container of nuts. I bought almonds and cashews, and Tommy bought peanuts, so it was harder than anything not to keep grazing. I'm going to have to start salting my celery stalks or something because I tend to crave salt on Ph1 and think that's why I continue going back to the nuts.

Good luck to you. Stick it out, and you'll feel better here in a day or two.

Lisa

femmecreole
08-10-2008, 04:09 PM
Sciana, I wouldn't really worry about portions on phase1...I know I didn't. If you have cravings...eat, eat, eat. (of course only phase 1 foods) I stuffed my face the whole time for about the first week until the cravings went away...and they WILL go away. That stuff you are craving now will probably repulse you after a while.

alihay91
08-10-2008, 11:15 PM
South beach was recommended to me by a nutritionist but i can't afford the book nor can i afford to join the on-line group any suggestions?

Thin4Good
08-10-2008, 11:22 PM
this group is free. I got the book at my local library. The new book is on hold but i was able to get the old one pretty easily. The updated foods list can be found here (free!) :)

ladybugnessa
08-10-2008, 11:49 PM
South beach was recommended to me by a nutritionist but i can't afford the book nor can i afford to join the on-line group any suggestions?

i never belonged to the online group that costs. I belong to this board and a few other free south beach boards... you can get the books at the library.

or maybe ask around on freecycle to see if anyone has one for you....

ZanyJane
08-11-2008, 12:17 AM
I just had the same feelings. I could not handle it and came here for support and got it. I will say I did slip and ate a mini 3 Must. Bar, and felt bad about it and the next day promised myself to get on track. Well I did and now I am 3 days away from the end of my 2nd week of Phase 1. And have lost 10 pounds and I feel wonderful. And thank god for my hubby, he allows me to get a little...lol...B*T**y.

So keep strong!!!! :^:

cottagebythesea
08-11-2008, 07:21 AM
:welcome2:, Alihay! You'll get lots of support and encouragement here, along with some great hints and recipes, too. And it's absolutely free! We do insist you read the book first, though, so you'll understand exactly how SBD works and why you must avoid certain foods, it's very important to learn the basics. You can probably find the book at your library, or pick up a used copy for a few $ at Amazon or Ebay. Good luck, and we hope you decide to join us. :)

thunderbegone
08-11-2008, 08:09 AM
It will get better. Two weeks of suffering and you will have a lifetime of food cravings under control. Trust in this plan, it is a healthy way to eat for life and you will lose alot of weight.

tammay
08-11-2008, 08:21 PM
I'm on Day 3 of Phase 1 as well and, ironically, so far I'm feeling really great. I'm doing SBD a little differently, as I don't eat dairy or eggs or meat (yes, it can be done...) so I've been relying a lot on veggies, beans, tofu, and good fats. I was feeling so horribly bloated and heavy for weeks before starting on Saturday (mainly because of eating a lot of junk food and PMS) and now I feel a lot better. The bloat has completely gone and I feel much perkier and alert. I have had a bad headache since yesterday that is coming and going but that's because of PMS and I can't stay away from the aspirin and so am overmedicating myself :(. But I've been surprised that I've had no cravings, especially with a menu as limited for these 2 weeks as mine is.

I'll be glad when I can start adding a little fruit and whole grain, though, mainly because of the increased food variety. What's worrying me right now is more whether I'm getting enough calories (I posted about this several months ago when I was trying SBD again - still at the same calorie level...)

One thing I'm doing that seems to help is eating six small meals a day rather than three big ones and two snacks.

Tam

weezle
08-11-2008, 09:05 PM
Tam, good Lord Almighty, how the heck do you do it? Give me a sample of your daily menus!!!!! I'm a vegetarian, but not vegan, and can eat eggbeaters (but not real eggs for some reason,) cheese, soy, etc, but I can't eat any meat, and haven't had more than just 1 bite of fresh fish every few months. I find that I come close to losing my mind trying to stay OP. What do you eat?

Sciana
08-11-2008, 09:40 PM
Alihay, you can actually read a lot of the book online at google, just put in south beach diet and it should appear as the first link, not all of it is there, but it gives you the gyst, and you can print allowed foods here to help round out your education :)

Paper Dreams
08-11-2008, 11:07 PM
I am on day one of the second week of SBD.... doing great so far. I have diabetes and my blood glucose hasn't been this good in months!!!! I've lost about 4 pounds!! I love all the helpful info I've found here!!

Alihay, have you tried a used book store, Goodwill (or the like) or even yard sales... I actually picked up my copy of SBD at a yard sale!!!

chronicdieter
08-12-2008, 09:48 PM
Beans, beans, beans...they do help particularly in Phase 1.... also, drink water...lots of it! Just to echo what everyone else has said...just hang in there the next few days - it will get better and it is WORTH IT!!!:carrot::carrot: