Old 08-09-2008, 06:51 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 236/232/140

Height: 5'6"

Question Exactly how does the water we take in help us with weight loss?

I make sure I drink my 64oz or more each and every day...but what does the water do to help us with weight loss.

I realize our bodies are made up mostly of water..and I know it must flush out toxins...but what does it do to help with weight loss?
desilu48723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 07:02 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

There are a several theories.

It may be that we sometimes mistake thirst for hunger. So, instead of reaching for water when we're thirsty, we might have a taste or craving for food that is high in water. Drinking more water, would make this less likely.

It may actually fill our stomaches, at least temporarily, so we eat less.

It may increase metabolism. There was a study done recently that seems to support this.

If water (plain water or artificially sweetened) is drunk INSTEAD of caloric beverages, like milk, juice, and soda, it will support weight loss by the calorie savings.

Last edited by kaplods; 08-09-2008 at 07:03 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 07:07 PM   #3  

Height: 5'7"

In addition to what kaplods said, water helps flush out excess sodium and waste naturally produced by our bodies. This is one reason why you'll see people suggesting that someone makes sure to get his/her water in the day after a round of Chinese food, for example - all of the sodium makes the body prone to water retention, and more water will help flush that out.
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 08:42 AM   #4  

Height: 4' 10"

I do know that Ice water will help burn more calories than warmer water. Obviously water has no calories, but it burns more calories trying to keep the body warm.

I've also heard that water helps carry out the fat that your losing. I always know when I'm losing weight because I'm getting up in the middle of the night to "go".

~Dolly
DollyLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 08:23 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 262/ See Ticker / 150

Height: 5' 4"

LOL ^^^^ Dolly.

Yeah, hubby says we are going to buy stock in toilet paper.
Chey is offline   Reply With Quote