Old 08-09-2008, 06:07 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 272/see tracker/170

Height: 5'11"

Question Only family member doing Atkins?

Hello everyone! I'm pretty new to the boards and this is actually my first thread!

I haven't started Atkins yet (induction phase) because I'm currently a college student living at home. I've been lucky to live at home while I've been going to college, but my family buys A LOT of food that doesn't follow the "rules" of Atkins. Therefore, I will need to purchase my own food. I don't mind buying my own groceries...but food is expensive!!!! Especially on my college budget!!!

So my questions are:

Are you the only member of your family doing Atkins? If so, how do you avoid temptation of foods your family eats but you can't?

Also

Are there any cheap food options I can look for that won't bust my wallet? Any advice for groceries on an Atkins lifestyle?

Any advice would be much appreciated! I would really like to start induction as soon as I sort these problems out. Thank you!

kireos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 06:52 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 181/166/132

Height: 5'9

Couldn't you use the allowed ones of the groceries that your family buys? I mean, they probably eat meat, fish, poultry, vegetables and cheese too?
BlondeAmbition08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 07:33 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondeAmbition08 View Post
Couldn't you use the allowed ones of the groceries that your family buys? I mean, they probably eat meat, fish, poultry, vegetables and cheese too?
Yes, they do eat meat and that wouldn't be a problem for me. But a majority of the food my family buys is not accepted by the Atkins. They buy ALOT of starchy, sugary, unhealthy foods. My family also eats alot of pasta, breads and dairy as well.

So even if I did just use the meat my family buys, I would still have to go shopping to replace the items my family doesn't have.

Sorry if I don't make sense. I'm just trying to figure out my situation at the moment.

Last edited by kireos; 08-09-2008 at 07:34 PM.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:18 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 250/214/130

I have actually have the same problem. I am the only family member doing atkins, and I am a college student. I thought it would be very expensive but so far it hasn't been bad. Although, I have only been doing the program for a day. On induction if you can find you a meat you enjoy that isn't too expensive you can eat it and then pick out some veggies. That's what I am doing.
Moonring05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 01:57 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonring05 View Post
I have actually have the same problem. I am the only family member doing atkins, and I am a college student. I thought it would be very expensive but so far it hasn't been bad. Although, I have only been doing the program for a day. On induction if you can find you a meat you enjoy that isn't too expensive you can eat it and then pick out some veggies. That's what I am doing.
Thank you Moonring! I'm so glad I'm not the only one in this situation. Thank you for the advice!
Old 08-10-2008, 06:00 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 181/166/132

Height: 5'9

Would your family mind if you went along on the weekly shopping trip and put some vegetables in the cart?

Either way - since you are the only one eating what you are eating a good idea is to make full recipeps (for 4 or however many they are) and freeze the rest of the portions. That way you don't have to cook all the time, just take out your little container and chop up some salad to go with it.
BlondeAmbition08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 11:23 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 200/Ticker/135

Height: 5'5" / Low Carb WOE

I am the only person in my household on a low carb plan.

My DH cut down (not cut out) on sodas and candy and hasn't increased exercise at all, yet he has already lost half (20 lbs.) of what he needed to lose (grr!).

And while I have been being more conscious of what goes in my 5 yr old's mouth, she still eats a lot of fruits and that's okay. She's 5, and I'm trying to teach her what my mother never taught me. To eat healthy natural foods instead of canned/boxed processed, bleached, artificially flavored, artificially colored and preserved junk.

I have enough willpower and drive to stay out of the stuff in the cabinet, the only time it is hard for me is when I smell something.

As for how I deal with it..well I've never been a sweets addict so it really doesn't bother me when my husband or child indulges. However, being that I'm a salty carb addict...that bag of fritos they were sharing earlier...I had to leave the room because it smelled so good.

It's hard, I won't lie and say it isn't, but all it really takes for me is to look in the mirror and remind myself of how I got fat and why I'm doing something about it.

Mmm...foods...

One of the things I'll do is buy a huge salad for lunch one day and eat half, then store the other half for lunch the next day.

Or make foods for dinner that are a combination of what I can and can't eat. Like soy-ginger pork stir-fry with white rice on the side. I'll serve my stir-fry over bean sprouts and serve theirs over the rice.

There are a lot of things you can make up ahead of time, or change the recipe slightly, or even some dinners with your family where you know "I can eat one thing they are serving", so you serve yourself a salad to go with it and fill you the rest of the way.

Last edited by snapless; 08-10-2008 at 11:27 AM.
snapless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 02:35 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 264/264/199

Height: 5'10"

I'm the only one in my household as well who's doing the atkins/low carb thing. Honestly, I'm finding the atkins diet the easiest so far for maintaining control over cravings. Yes, I slipped a couple times over the past 3 weeks, but compared to other diets i've tried that number would be at least trippled. I am finding that for the most part i'm always full and don't crave the things the rest of my family eats. My kicker is association...I associate a Friday evening with pizza or wings with beer. During the week that's not a problem. Basically, when you see your family cooking up a high-carb meal, take a deep breath and say no. This is where planning your meals comes in handy...i usually cook something with leftovers for the next day.

As for cheaper foods, I'm hooked on cucumbers lately. Cucumbers and other veggies like lettuce are pretty cheap. Even those bags of mixed frozen veggies aren't too bad...though you have to read the lable carefully. For meats, chicken drumsticks are cheap; canned tuna isn't too bad; those Costco pork chops are awesome too... you get a package of 12 or so for about $15 and they are thick enough you can halve them. I'm sure you can find cheap solutions out there if you shop around.
SaskNewfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 02:49 AM   #9  

Wow! Thanks everyone! All your advice is soo helpful! Maybe it won't be such a problem after all! I appreciate all the responses and tips. I will defientely be using them! Thank you so much!

With all these new tips, I'm now ready to start induction tomorrow!!!
Old 08-11-2008, 12:38 PM   #10  

I'm the only LC'er but luckily I'm also the family shopper! Sometimes I have to hide my LC food to keep the family out of it!

I always buy boneless skinless chicken thighs - cheaper than breasts. I stir fry the small package with onions, mushrooms and whatever other low carb veggies I have. I eat about half and put the other half in the freezer. Sometimes you just have to break a habit. I used to make that same meal with brown rice when I was doing Weight Watchers - core plan but you really don't have to put it "on" something. Once I figured that out, I was much better off.

Someone already mentioned canned tuna, but that's a great inexpensive, portable protein.

I always have a tupperware bowl of lettuce in the fridge, so I can pull it out and put some meat on it and have a meal. I also grill a big batch of chicken breasts each weekend. The big frozen bag is cheaper than buying the little trays. I can finish them with a week's worth of salads, but you could freeze them after they are grilled if you want.

The key is planning ahead which my be easier if you used to being the shopper and the chief cook, but it's something anyone can do with a some effort.
lynnar is offline   Reply With Quote