General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-08-2008, 10:01 AM   #1  

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

Default I want this monkey off my back

Hello people,I'm not new to the sight but I;m new here and I was reading where some of you have quit smoking,I want to quit,and I was wondering some sure fire ways to help me,my bday is in a month so I thought about setting that as my "quit date" I've heard that's a good way to start...set a date and stick to it,but I was just wondering if what your suggestions would be....I've tried cold turkey and did go for almost 2 weeks and it about drove me crazy...a smoke was all I thought about the whole time,then I broke down and went bought a carton,DH wants me to quit and notices when I smoke too much,and I don't even smoke as much when he's home as I do when he's gone,I'd hate to see the look on his face.....
I was wondering about the commit lozenges,if they are affective...some suggestions would be greatly appreciated,because I'm at a pack aday now and I don't want to end up a 2,3,or even 4 packer a day like my mom or brother,lord I can barely afford them as it is now!!Thanks
shelbysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:06 AM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey! Quitting smoking is very hard, and you really must get past that 2-week mark. If you can do that, it's easier from then on. You'll still have cravings from time to time, but they won't make you insane.

Get any kind of help you need--maybe talk to your doctor about it? When I quit, I did it cold turkey with the help of a "smoker's tea," which barely took the edge off, but it was enough so I could stand it.

I'm moving your thread over to General Chatter--I think you'll get more response there.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:14 AM   #3  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

Congrats for making the first step. You have to be ready to quit in order to quit.
I also quit cold turkey, so I can't really help with other methods.

Smokefree.gov is a site that may have some useful information.

It is hard, but you can do it
Best wishes
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:39 AM   #4  
No description available.

I have never quit smoking but I understand that it is the hardest thing ever. Harder that quitting alcohol or meth even. So I give you a lot of credit for trying.

The gums and patches can helpful with cravings. You can also talk to your health care provider about....I think they use Wellbutrin these days to help people quit smoking. I could be wrong, I don't do primary care these days, but your doctor will know what the latest theory is.

Some people can quit cold turkey and some have a really hard time with that. I think it is like weight loss. Some people change their lives completely and immediately and never look back and others have to take baby steps. It is very individual.

What I recommend to my pregnant ladies who cannot quit cold turkey is baby steps. Count out how many you smoke each day and try to drop one from your daily use each week. So if you smoke 12 a day this week, try to go to 11 a day next week and 10 the next. That way you are slowly decreasing your use but not fighting the cravings constantly. 10 a day is better than 12 a day and 5 a day is better still.

Another part of it is to recognize your triggers and have a coping plan in place. Again, like weight loss. Exercise, journal, meditation, prayer, slow deep breathing, beating a pillow....stuff like that.

I am very proud of you for quitting! Whether or not you smoke is a big influence on whether or not your kids will smoke. And when there is a time you are choosing to not smoke and it is a hard choice, come post here. We all support you 110%!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 11:51 AM   #5  
XXXtine

S/C/G: 279/230/180

Height: 5'10

I heard it's the 7 things. 7 hours, 7 days, 7 weeks, 7 months 7 years. SOmething like that.

I've quit and restarted and quit and restarted. I go for about a year and then boom, something triggers it and I am back. Worst thing ever. I don't even smoke 2 packs a WEEK. I can't imagine two packs a day or something and having to quit.

Good luck and let us know how it works for you!
xxxtine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 09:00 AM   #6  

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

Thanks for the recomendatios...I did try welbutrin once for a coup[le days and it made me sleepy,as did my sis, I think we might have been allergic,because it's supposed to keepyou awake iof you don't take it by 10 in the morning or something...for 2 or 3 days all IO wanted to do was sleep!!LOL
Thanks again ya'll I'll do this!
shelbysmom is offline   Reply With Quote