Atkins - How often do you weigh yourself?

View Full Version : How often do you weigh yourself?

Jessie
08-07-2008, 06:41 PM
Taking a poll I guess. I want to weigh myself every day but for me at least, when I go up or down a lb. it really frustrates me which then leads to me losing motivation.

Do you have a set time/day of the week that you weigh yourself?

mseamons
08-07-2008, 07:40 PM
My hubby and I weigh in on Thursday am's only!!!

Kofarq
08-07-2008, 07:51 PM
I weigh in every morning, because I compete in the weight loss challenges, and most of us update every day. I only put my 'Official Weight Watchers' weight on my tracker, though!

SaskNewfie
08-07-2008, 07:53 PM
Every morning as soon as I get up...I only record every Sunday though.

suzanne
08-07-2008, 08:06 PM
Every single day. I don't let the day to day variations get me down. I only look at loss over time but the daily weighing keeps me honest and I am reminded every day how far I've come. It's a motivational moment each time even if it has some fluctuations.

Timlin
08-08-2008, 07:39 AM
Everyday. A couple years ago I saw a study where they found that folks who lost weight and kept it off for 5 years or more were almost exclusively those who weighed themselves every morning and who exercised religiously.

I decided that's for me! I exercise 1 hour to 1:15 hour every single day (unless on holidays) and I weigh me as a reminder as I start my day. So far so good! ;)

Jessie
08-08-2008, 11:21 AM
Thanks everyone - I need to not have my mood dictated by a few fluctuations on the scale, huh. ;) You all are doing great!

BlondeAmbition08
08-09-2008, 01:34 PM
In the beginning i weighed myself every morning and recorded it, but I let it get to me when I gained a hundred grams one day, even if twice as much was gone the next. Then my boyfriend took my scale for a week. A weighed myself on sunday and wouldn't get to do it again until saturday. By thursday night I was freaking out because I was sure I had gained. I ended it a day early and weighed myself on friday morning - and I it was one of my best weeks in terms of losing.

Now I weigh myself every morning, but I only write it down on saturdays. This way I feel I'm in control and don't develop any habits (like too much cheese.. :o )that would make the scale go the wrong way for several days in a row, but at the same time if I'm retaining water I don't feel like it ruins the weight loss that "counts". It's all mind games really. ;)

Moonring05
08-11-2008, 06:02 AM
I weigh myself every morning. It seems I am have been losing a pound or two a day so far. The first week I lost a lot of weight but I think it was because of water weight. I don't think I could put weighing myself off for a whole week. It would drive me insane! I would be exercising myself to death. :p

I really think weighing in every morning before I eat or workout helps me make sure I am still losing weight. I will know if I am getting stalled or not.

snapless
08-11-2008, 11:43 AM
Officially I weigh myself every 10 days.

Unofficially I'll check the scales once or twice between my official weigh ins.

Now, when I catch myself doing it more frequently I put a stop to it because I'm one of those individuals who gets frustrated by the normal fluctuations of the scale.

pengbear
08-11-2008, 07:23 PM
2nd thing I do every morning. Go to the restroom and then step on the scale. I only record every Sunday though. The daily fluctuations can be frustrating - it's amazing to see a 4 lb gain or loss over a single 24 hour period! But if I gain I know that means more water is needed.

It helps me to stay motivated as I see where I am now compared to where I used to be months and months ago. 220 seemed impossible at one time, so it's a good reminder for me every day that I've done something right.

coleminer
08-13-2008, 09:51 PM
I struggle with this a lot. I could weigh myself 4 or 5 times a day. However, I get so frustrated by the scale and I hate the power that it has over me. I don't want a number to decide how I feel about the day.

I don't know what to do. Everyday I think, I'm not going to weigh myself every morning and every morning, I weigh myself.

sandyfanny
08-14-2008, 07:18 AM
You can stop weighing yourself constantly - put your scale in the trash or stash it with a friend who lives far enough away that you won't run by constantly to weigh.

I weigh every 7 - 10 days at my doctor's office. His nurse buzzes me in, I weigh myself and I'm done. Nobody sees it but me, no one records it but me. Easy.

Luvbean
08-14-2008, 08:30 AM
I weigh in every morning, I feel like it keeps me motivated. If I am up a pound, I work harder. If I am down a pound and keep on going.

sandyfanny
08-14-2008, 11:17 AM
We are beautiful in our differences.

SaskNewfie
08-14-2008, 04:47 PM
I weigh in every morning, I feel like it keeps me motivated. If I am up a pound, I work harder. If I am down a pound and keep on going.

That's the reason I do it every day. If I'm down, I get motivated...If i'm up, it gives me the kick in the arse I need to sort myself out...

kireos
08-15-2008, 10:09 PM
I weigh myself every morning and I find it helps keep me motivated through out the day. =)

tybeeanna
09-03-2008, 10:22 AM

yep what luvbean said

kierr
09-04-2008, 05:27 AM
So I get a consistent weight I only take the weight I get at the gym scale seriously. We usually go 3 times a week at the same time of day, before food. :)

Jessie
09-05-2008, 11:27 PM
Update - my scale broke last week and I haven't yet replaced it. I am going to buy a new one tomorrow. I have noticed a lack of motivation since not having a scale!

crazy4eachother
10-16-2008, 09:29 AM
I weigh every day .... I feel it motivates me.

JulieJ08
10-16-2008, 12:42 PM
Every day. If I weighed once a week, I would be obsessing more, wondering ...

Plus, the fluctuations would bother me more if I weighed only once a week. By weighing every day, I can better see that they are just fluctuations.

But eventually, I don't want to weigh every day. But that's a long way off.

luvja
10-16-2008, 01:06 PM
Almost daily from home. But once a week at WW - and thats the weight I go by. I only weigh at home because I'm curious sometimes. But my scale isn't that accurate anyway. Always different readings between WW and my personal scale.

foxykat007
11-14-2008, 01:10 PM
Hi All...

I'm new here... Loving this forum...

I definitely weigh every single day. I too feel that it keeps me motivated and keeps me in check if it goes up.

So far since I started low carbing the last few days.... I'm down 3 pounds!!!

Woo hoo!!!

Also, I swear, doing ONLY 20 mins of cardio on an empty stomach is SO helping as well.... 20 mins ONLY!!!

Mark Walberg's trainer, Johnny told me that 5 years ago... I remember seeing him the day after he told me that... I was so excited to tell him " I DID 45 MINS!!!"

He scolded me and said " Not 21 mins, not 22 mins... all you need is 20 mins"... anything more you start depleting precious muscle. By doing a quick 20 min cardio session on an empty stomach, you tap into your fat reserves...

Try is everyone... I SWEAR IT WORKS!!!

Everyone I have ever told always tells me so!

Have a blessed day all!

Also, I have a question... how many posts do we have to post to be able to post ( lol ) our little weight tracker????

What gives with the minimum posts until we're able to... Seems a little odd.

Inconceivable
11-14-2008, 02:58 PM
I try for every OTHER day because I feel like in 2 days I can get a real reflection of how I'm doing, but every day includes too much natural fluctuation.

fattgirl
11-14-2008, 03:06 PM
[QUOTE=foxykat007;2453047]Hi All...

Also, I swear, doing ONLY 20 mins of cardio on an empty stomach is SO helping as well.... 20 mins ONLY!!!

He scolded me and said " Not 21 mins, not 22 mins... all you need is 20 mins"... anything more you start depleting precious muscle. By doing a quick 20 min cardio session on an empty stomach, you tap into your fat reserves...

Try is everyone... I SWEAR IT WORKS!!!

Also, I have a question... how many posts do we have to post to be able to post ( lol ) our little weight tracker????

QUOTE]

I think you have to post like 20 or 25 messages before you can have a tracker.
I will definitely try the 20 min. on an empty stomach thing.

JulieJ08
11-14-2008, 03:11 PM
Mark Walberg's trainer, Johnny told me that 5 years ago... I remember seeing him the day after he told me that... I was so excited to tell him " I DID 45 MINS!!!"

How bizarre. Everyone, any age, any exercise experience, any amount of muscle and fat, any food intake, all start burning muscle between exactly 20 and 21 minutes?

fattgirl
11-14-2008, 03:17 PM
I weigh myself every morning. It helps keep me on track and keeps me motivated.

Beautiful Ace
11-14-2008, 03:17 PM
I record on tuesdays but I weight myself every couple days. I saw my weight go up but it didnt bother me too much because I knew I was doing really well with the eating. I went from 314, to 317, and now im 313:)

mytmom
11-18-2008, 10:56 AM
I vary. When I feel like I am doing good, I weigh myself more often. When I know I'm not, I don't. I try to not weigh at times when I know I'm carrying water, like TOM.

KristasMom
11-18-2008, 11:07 AM
Daily, at home, first thing in the morning.

The year has been tough, because I had significant health issues, and was seeing a lot of doctors. And every PA insists on weighing you. And, let me tell you, every scale is different. And the clothes I wore were different.

I got to the point where I told them, "You can weigh me for your records. I don't want to talk about the results, as I am tracking my weight for me somewhere else." Then I get on the scale with my back to the numbers. If they try to talk about my wieght, I repeat what I said.

Made sanity an option.

shari79
11-20-2008, 09:35 PM
I weigh everyday, even though sometimes I wish I didn't but it's become habit now....wish I would at least wait a day or so.....lol

somebuddysbabe
11-27-2008, 11:39 AM
I go to the bathroom and then weigh myself everyday. I have to see where I am. If I am up a pound I work harder that day and if I see it go down half a pound or so it helps keep me motivated.
I only record it once a week though, along with my measurements.

Babe