Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-06-2008, 04:58 PM   #1  
jemini6782

S/C/G: i am 219 i want to be 150

Height: 5'3''

Exclamation exercise question

i walk to and from work 4x's per week it's amile each way,my butt, hips and legs are getting smaller ( i know because i no longer have the bulge of fat on my inner thighs and the only way to keep my pants up is to wear a belt which i haven't been able to do in like 12 years) but what are some exercises i can do to get my belly smaller that is my real problem any suggestions?
jemini6782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 05:00 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

You can't really spot reduce. Unfortunately.

Each of us loses weight in different places at different rates and many many women lose fat on their bellies absolutely last. Eventually, if you keep up the exercise, you will start to lose weight on your tummy ... just don't give up.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 02:27 PM   #3  

Default Dr. Michael Snyder

It is fantastic that you are already working so hard and seeing results. Getting used to the "practice" and commitment of exercise is the hardest part and you have done this already. That is the most difficult hurdle. As a doctor, I can answer your "spot reduction" question with finality-- do NOT let anyone tell you that you can "spot reduce!!" It is impossible. You CAN strengthen and tone specific areas of your body... but anyone selling you something to spot reduce is a liar. It is all about the physiology of weight loss. Your body does not know to take excess weight from a certain area. It is all based on "whole body" weight management. So, you must burn more calories, take in fewer calories, and/or take in "better" calories. (All "SAFELY"-- and you DO know what I mean by that, I hope!!) Do not "DIET" please. There is no one on this site who has not failed a multitude of "diets." For most people, dieting is just cruel and inhuman torture... with expected, disheartening results. Rather, be "reasonable" with all that you do-- kind of like you have "reasonably" become an athlete. (Heck, anyone who works out almost every day of the week is an athlete in my book.) Keep it up. And, if you need more insights from me-- just let me know. I am proud of you. You are a great example of how a little change goes a long way. And, maybe next week you can add a block or two to your path to work. Let me know how it goes from here. Thanks for showing that a reasonable person actually DOING something is much better than any device and membership that is not used! Be well, Michael A. Snyder, MD, FACS, PC
drmichaelsnyder is offline   Reply With Quote