South Beach Diet - I really do think I need to go back to Phase 1 or something.

Fat Melanie
08-06-2008, 02:33 PM
We've been eating on the go a lot recently and been stressing out crazily (I have broken out and I normally have really clear skin.) And I've been making some pretty bad food choices and seriously craving carbs. I haven't eaten anything with sugar (wait, yes I did, apple pies at Hardees) but I've eaten things with white flour and even a fried chicken sandwich.

We've been running low on supplies and have to go shopping on Monday, and I have just been giving in to cheap temptation. Hardees one night, Bojangles one afternoon, and Quiznos this weekend (had whole wheat but ate the entire sub... way too many servings). Then Hardees the day before last.

I was intending on getting back OP yesterday, was gonna throw a bunch of stuff together that we still have left, like ground beef and mustard greens and lentils, I was gonna make a soup, but then we went to my Grandmas. I tried to come after they ate but my grandma would not take no as an answer, it was her duty to feed her grandchild and her great-grandchild's father, she felt, and I had a plate of rigatoni and ragu and italian sweet sausage with asiago bread.

It's not a matter of just here-and-there cheats, it's been a bunch of cheats that have added up recently, after I sat down and thought about it. I haven't even experienced Phase 2 really, and now I'm back to craving carbs.

It is all my fault, letting stress getting the best of me, not eating, then being ravenous later and making the wrong food choices. I AM capable of doing this though, I did Phase 1 this time around without any problems, but too much stuff has been going on and I've been letting my emotions make my decisions rather than my common sense.

I do believe I have cheated enough that I qualify to go back on Phase 1. I know a lot of people probably don't think it's a good idea but I really do believe it's the best thing.

I'm already making a shopping list for Monday... but should I do just one week to get back on track and then continue to phase 1.5 or just do the whole two weeks of phase 1 again? I need to do phase 1 something!

Any advice, recommendations, etc?

Ruthxxx
08-06-2008, 02:44 PM
Do a pure Phase I and post your daily menus and any questions in the Phase I chickie thread. The MODS and more experienced Beachers will be helpful.

It's important to be completely committed to the plan. If stress makes you less able to follow it, maybe wait until Life gets better.

zeffryn
08-06-2008, 02:44 PM
you probably should go back on P1....a week might be enough, I don't really know. Try a week and see what your body is telling you.

remember that the "whole wheat" rolls from Quiznos are just "wheat"....which means tons of white flour with a pinch of wheat flour....

Always remember....try, try again.

uscarchie
08-06-2008, 02:46 PM
I'd try just one week of phase 1. If you're still wanting carbs and having cravings, continue on. But one week is enough to break the cycle.

Also, I know you're on a budget- tofu is WAY cheap and a great source of protein... press the water out, salt and pepper it, and make it however you want. It goes into pretty much everything and is pretty tasty.

I also make a good tofu meatball if you need recipes.

JerseyGirrl
08-06-2008, 02:58 PM
Melanie...I have been doing the same thing lately...giving into cheap conveniences(not even really temptation). My life has been hectic the past few weeks. My 20 yr old sister was diagnosed with lyme disease and she's having some complications, my uncle had a heart attack and may not make it, my mom has to be tested for throat cancer, and last wed. my friend from H.S. passed away(she was only 25). I've been running around like crazy trying to help everyone out and haven't had time to cook, so I've been doing a lot of drive thru and take out. Been trying to make the best possible choices with it, but yes I know best choices would be to avoid those places. Well this week I'm back in the game(as best I can be right now) and also feel like cravings are coming back. I've been drinking insane amounts of water and that seems to be doing the trick. Also, when a craving gets overwhelming I have a cup of coffee because it makes me full and the craving goes away.

Also, hungrygirl.com has a lot of swap recipes for junk foods you may be craving. Not all are SBD compliant, but many can be altered. Have you tried that site?

uscarchie...I would love to see your tofu meatball recipe! I'd like to start incorporating tofu as a regular staple, but not too familiar with cooking with it.

Fat Melanie
08-06-2008, 03:03 PM
Do a pure Phase I and post your daily menus and any questions in the Phase I chickie thread. The MODS and more experienced Beachers will be helpful.

It's important to be completely committed to the plan. If stress makes you less able to follow it, maybe wait until Life gets better.

Oops, I realize my post was kinda confusing, after re-reading it, it sounds like I'm still on Phase 1. I'm 9 days in Phase 2. I did a pure Phase 1 and have started Phase 2. Phase 1 this time around was great... it really was. I felt so good, I did it OP (although I did question my portions and maybe too much dairy) and lost 4lbs. But I've been doing Phase 2 for 9 days and it's all went to ****. It's dissapointing for me because I did so well on Ph 1 after messing up so badly the first time I had attempted it. I still have lost like 2 lbs though, which I don't understand. I agree with you that it's important to be committed and I should maybe wait until life is better to re-start, but I was under a lot of stress during ph 1 and still pulled it off, 'cause I felt like it was the only thing in my life at the time that I could actually control. I think I'll start ph 1 again tuesday and I will definitely post my menus and see what you guys think. :)

Ruthxxx
08-06-2008, 03:05 PM
I did understand you had moved to Phase II. I meant go BACK to Phase I.

Fat Melanie
08-06-2008, 03:11 PM
you probably should go back on P1....a week might be enough, I don't really know. Try a week and see what your body is telling you.

remember that the "whole wheat" rolls from Quiznos are just "wheat"....which means tons of white flour with a pinch of wheat flour....

Always remember....try, try again.

Oh maaan, that sucks, why can't any place serve real whole wheat? They suck. I was fooled by them.

I did understand you had moved to Phase II. I meant go BACK to Phase I.

Okay, I gotcha. Sorry about that. Sometimes it's hard to tell what people mean in written language so I get confused. :)

Alright, definitely going back to Phase 1, gonna plan my menu once again and write out my grocery list and then also make sure I'm prepared for phase 1. I think that's part of it, I was very prepared for ph 1, but then when ph 2 came around, I wasn't prepared. If I had been, and not let stuff get the best of me, I probably could have been doing ph 2 successfully.

I'd try just one week of phase 1. If you're still wanting carbs and having cravings, continue on. But one week is enough to break the cycle.

Also, I know you're on a budget- tofu is WAY cheap and a great source of protein... press the water out, salt and pepper it, and make it however you want. It goes into pretty much everything and is pretty tasty.

I also make a good tofu meatball if you need recipes.

I would love that recipe. :D I used to be a vegetarian for 3 years and I often used tofu in stirfrys and stuff like that. The recipe sounds fantastic.

Sorry Mods, I keep posting one post adjacent to eachother, I didn't mean to.

Melanie...I have been doing the same thing lately...giving into cheap conveniences(not even really temptation). My life has been hectic the past few weeks. My 20 yr old sister was diagnosed with lyme disease and she's having some complications, my uncle had a heart attack and may not make it, my mom has to be tested for throat cancer, and last wed. my friend from H.S. passed away(she was only 25). I've been running around like crazy trying to help everyone out and haven't had time to cook, so I've been doing a lot of drive thru and take out. Been trying to make the best possible choices with it, but yes I know best choices would be to avoid those places. Well this week I'm back in the game(as best I can be right now) and also feel like cravings are coming back. I've been drinking insane amounts of water and that seems to be doing the trick. Also, when a craving gets overwhelming I have a cup of coffee because it makes me full and the craving goes away.

Also, hungrygirl.com has a lot of swap recipes for junk foods you may be craving. Not all are SBD compliant, but many can be altered. Have you tried that site?

JerseyGirl, I'm so sorry to hear about everything that's going on in your life right now, that's a lot for one person to have to deal with. I don't blame you for turning to junkfood, a lot of people would do the same. I hope things get better soon, and good luck to your sister, uncle, and mom. *sending good wishes their way* May they all become better and I hope the throat cancer testing turns out favorably for your mom. May your friend RIP.

Thanks for the website link, nope I haven't tried it yet, but I'm about to. :D

JerseyGirrl
08-06-2008, 03:11 PM
Subway is the same thing..I call them "white bread with brown food coloring." If they have even a tiny amount of whole wheat flour added to the enriched white crap then they call it whole wheat.
-------------merged posts -------------
Thanks Melanie..your good wishes are appreciated!

ladybugnessa
08-06-2008, 03:28 PM
Melanie,

please don't take this the wrong way

how much did Hardees, quiznos and bongangles cost (all together)

maybe 45 dollars?

you can buy a lot of GOOD groceries for that.

QUIT EATING OUT!

Fat Melanie
08-06-2008, 03:45 PM
JerseyGirl, I'm loving that website, it's got really great recipe swaps (I am breathing all over the taco bell swaps.)

Melanie,

please don't take this the wrong way

how much did Hardees, quiznos and bongangles cost (all together)

maybe 45 dollars?

you can buy a lot of GOOD groceries for that.

QUIT EATING OUT!

Yes Ladynessa. :lol: I know, you're right!! Urrgh, I just wish I wouldn't go along with my BF when he wants to stop there instead of getting some grocery food to cook. He likes a fast fix when the cabinets are empty and it's late and he's hungry and doesn't wanna wait for me to cook anything. And then I cave and go along with it especially when we've been busy around town and we're hungry and we just eat whatever. I had committed myself to eating salads in such events, but it wasn't always possible. Hardees doesn't have any, at least not here. But that's not an excuse. The good news is, this Friday I'm officially taking over our finances (meaning, he gets the paycheck, hands it over to me, we discussed this on sunday) so I will not give him this extra money for us to go stop at a fast food place, I will put it into extra grocery funds.

I didn't take it the wrong way, I definitely appreciate your words, you are absolutely right. :D

JerseyGirrl
08-06-2008, 03:55 PM
Melanie...isn't that site great? It has saved me from junk soooo many times. If you click on "Chew the right thing" it has tons of swap recipes.

SkinnyDogMom
08-06-2008, 04:02 PM
Hardee's does have a grilled chicken sandwich, get it, throw away the bun, eat the chicken, lettuce & tomato only.
I do things like this when we are traveling or otherwise feel the need to do a fast food thing. Wendy's chili is a good choice. DH gets 2 Wendy's 0.99cent hamburgers and throws the buns. Potbelly's has nice salads, as do many of the other fast food joints. I like that a few places have fruit now available.
It is still best to cook at home and try to use as few processed foods as possible.

Fat Melanie
08-06-2008, 04:16 PM
JerseyGirl, their pizza recipe looks fabulous and also like it would be SBD compliant on phase 2. I'm still on the website, it's got a lot of good stuff on it.

SkinnyDogMom, I saw that grilled chicken sandwich, I should have gotten that instead of the fried crispy one that I ate with the incredibly huge bun. It's so hard though when it's 9:30 and we're ravenous. Bad excuse, I know.

Belle Mer
08-06-2008, 05:16 PM
Melanie, I understand how difficult it is to figure out what to eat when you have another person with you who isn't on SBD. My hubby has been thin all of his life, and he is a carb junkie. He doesn't like a lot of the foods that I enjoy, so I have to adjust menus when he is at home.

I'm going back to Phase 1.5 because I got a little out of control today. We took a friend to lunch for her birthday, and the little French place had a very limited menu, mostly crepes, and fresh, warm, home made french bread. I had soup and a salad, which was fine, but I couldn't resist the baguette. (A huge weakness.)

Back to 1.5 for me.

Good luck, Melanie.

Barb0522
08-06-2008, 05:59 PM
One thing that helps me when life gets hectic is to have meals in the freezer that I just have to defrost and heat up. I also use those for lunches. When I make chili, I freeze lots. Anytime I make soup or casseroles, extra goes in the freezer. Taco Bake freezes great! Just serve it over some salad and it is a fast and easy dinner.

Do you have a microwave? It makes reheating foods (even food that you haven't defrosted ahead of time) easy.

At least I'm lucky that Brian doesn't really like to eat out. He would rather eat at home.

choices
08-06-2008, 10:59 PM
What do you want more? Answer that every time you open your mouth to eat something,and you'll have the answer you need,and you'll know what to do. I would say...'good luck',but sweetie, it just aint about luck. take care,Choices~~:hug:

femmecreole
08-07-2008, 07:36 AM
RE, the fast food. If you absolutely HAVE to go, go online and look at their menus. For example at Quiznos. Get a sandwich with lean turkey, or tuna and have them pile on the veggies. then scrape it all off the bread and just eat the "stuffing".

I would try making some really wonderful recipes at home and then maybe BF will want to skip the crummy icky fast food and will want to eat at home. Can you get him involved in the preparation? Tell him that you want to spend time with him cooking. He may find he enjoys spending the time with you in the kitchen. Cooking as a couple is really fun...Put on some music and dance while you cook!!

Loriann7
08-07-2008, 08:55 AM
Hi Mel! PLAN, PLAN, PLAN! I agree with Barb with using left overs in the freezer. Another thing I like to do is make use of my Crockpot! If you don't have one, GET ONE! It's worth every cent! In the morning throw ingredients in (if you have time at night cut, fry, prep the food to make mornings easier!) and when you get home at 9 at night you have dinner ready and waiting!!!!!

also, you mentioned that you get ravenous... pick up a jar of peanuts, and put it in the car! in the morning grab a cheese stick to put in your purse! Having healthy snacks on hand is key to avoid ever feeling "ravenous!" (makes note to do the same! hahahah)

As you noticed in one of my earlier posts, I plan two huge meals that will lead to left overs for the week, plus one for fish! So the remainder of the week when I get home, I open the fridge pop left overs in the microwave, and walla! One bag of frozen spinach lasted me four meals!

Budget? Hit up Aldi's or walmart! I am a "food snob"... (my sister named me that) meaning I like to go to Wegmans and get the best! But recently was on a shopping trip with a friend, she hit up Aldi's. I started looking at the spaghetti sauce, the salsa sauce both have no added sugar! I forgot to go there when I stocked up, but my friend said they are good! She trusts their veggies, but I don't know that I will. Anyway...

PLAN, PLAN, PLAN! As it was already mentioned, this isn't about luck, it's about choices! Read my signature, "heather's five c's." I liked that quote so much I asked if I could use it! :)

Schmoodle
08-07-2008, 09:11 AM
Loriann, don't fear Aldi's. I have been shopping there for most of our food the last couple of months. Pretty much everything I've had there has been very good quality. I love their nonfat plain yogurt better than any I've bought in the grocery stores. I rarely buy produce there because I prefer to get it from the farmer's market and our milk comes from a local dairy, but other than that, and an occasional trip to Trader Joe's, we mostly eat from Aldi's. I do check their produce too because they occasionally have good "local" products. Local in quotes because at Aldi's that means from the East Coast (for me), but not from the farm up the street. Mostly I love having a heaping cartload of food for about $100. I was in Giant Food recently and had half a cart full for the same price.

ladybugnessa
08-07-2008, 09:56 AM
our Aldi has the NSA salsa and it's great. I LOVE ALDI did you know it's owned by the same family that owns Trader Joes?

zeffryn
08-07-2008, 10:05 AM
Unfortunately, we don't have an Aldi's...and I don't think Mel does either..

There is, however, one almost next door to my mom's house so I am going to be going either today or tomorrow. :)

ladybugnessa
08-07-2008, 10:37 AM
there are 47 Aldi in NC

http://www.aldifoods.com/us/html/service/store_locator_startbox_ENU_HTML.htm

zeffryn
08-07-2008, 10:49 AM
lucky. Thanks for the link, Nessa. Hopefully they will get with the times and put one in our area!

Mel, let us know when you start P1 :)

Fat Melanie
08-07-2008, 01:43 PM
Belle Mer, my Bf is the same, thin and a carb junkie. (Especially in this order: sugary sodas, sugary junk food, fast food, and dog meat sandwiches, which I what I call the canned hash stuff he puts on bread. Ugh.)
Some of the SBD stuff I made he really enjoyed, such as the stuffed peppers and the chicken cheesesteak saute recipe by Grneyedmustang, but some of the other stuff he choked down (he just wasn't into the whole curried chicken thing). Good luck to you as well with phase 1.5, oh I definitely understand the temptation of a warm, fresh bread. I'm craving it right now.

Barb0522, I think my BF would really love the taco bake, I never got around to making it last month though, but plan to do so next week. I have been intending on freezing stuff but then never get around to it, I need to go get some more tupperware things to do so. Sometimes I'm so lazy about stuff. Freezing stuff to defrost is an excellent idea, I just need to implement the plan. I often just put the stuff in the fridge and think, "oh, I'll freeze it later," but a couple of days later, it's too late. This time around I'll make sure I do it ASAP. Yep we have a microwave, BF wouldn't be able to live without heating up those disgusting billion-calorie Hungry Man dinners and dog meat (canned hash) for lunch. I made a huge pot of soup last night (sbd compliant, so yesterday I had a Clean day, thank god) so I'm gonna go wash that tupperware and freeze half of it.

Choices, amen to that.

Femmecreole, yum, quizno stuffing actually sounds good. I wonder if I could request just the fillings without the bread, and just pay the $5 anyway. I'd probably get some strange looks, but oh well. I love to cook, I guess 'cause I love to eat, and fortunately Bf likes a lot of the stuff I make (and brags to his friends about how I cook) but he still has this itch for fast food. He eats it at work for breakfast and dinner and then if we have to go to town and we're caught by dinnertime, he'd rather grab a "quick bite to eat" as he calls it rather than wait for me to cook. (Such as yesterday, my soup wasn't quite done yet, and he kept whining and complaining and then asked his brother to go get him some of his brother's leftover pizza because he was hungry, and I told him absolutely not) So it is hard to control him as far as fast food, but I can control myself... or at least, make sure to order a salad and not give into any other temptation. Heh, my BF helping me in the kitchen? I don't know about that, I could always try... other times I've tried to get him involved by chopping things, which he hates... He's lazy. I could always try again and tell him the 'couple spending time together' aspect and see what he says.

Loriann, oh crockpots are awesome. Definitely very useful. Great idea to come home to a crockpot meal instead of grabbing some Fried Carbs & Grease for dinner. I will put some peanuts in the car, I just hope BF doesn't get to them first. :p I've gotta do that, plan two huge meals and stuff to have leftovers cause it's expensive to make something different every night! Walmart is about half an hour away but we've been there often to load up on cheaper groceries, but then, there's the gas to consider as well. But we do have to go to walmart next week so I may as well grocery shop. I like your signature, it's wise!

Ladybugnessa, Zeffryn, I plugged in my address on the Aldi site (I have never heard of Aldi's before) and the nearest one is like 3 hours away! So scratch that, heh, but I'll hit up Walmart this week, they are fairly cheap. Our local Food Lion is ridiculous in its prices, and the Piggly Wiggly used to be pretty cheap, but last month everytime we went to the store for just a few items it would add up to like $50, and it made NO sense! The grocery prices are ridiculous right now. The only thing about the Pig is that their meats are cheaper but I'm not sure its of the best quality, their meat section always smells funny and I don't like it. Zeff, I will let you guys know when I start again and probably will be posting a daily menu so whoever would like to can scrutinize it and criticize it because I want to make sure I'm doing it 100% correctly. I need to cut these bread cravings, I never knew bread was so important to me before.

They just opened an Aldis on the first of August about 3 hours away, so obviously they're expanding and stuff, so maybe soon there will be one nearer to me.

Ruthxxx
08-07-2008, 01:50 PM
Um....getting back on topic. Have you decided to do Phase I or carry on with a clean Phase II?

Fat Melanie
08-07-2008, 03:10 PM
Um, what in the world is wrong with me discussing things that do pertain to my original thread? I didn't go off my own topic at all. My bad eating habits, ways I can break them, such as freezing, crockpotting, ordering salads or 'stuffing', things I can cook, etc? It all pertains to my original thread, it was about getting out of this fast food rut and I was responding on topic to what the other posters suggested I should do to help me next time around. There was a lot of good suggestions there so I acknowledged them, I feel it will all help next time I do Phase 1 (that's what I have decided to do, this coming Wednesday, starting phase 1 again.)

* (When I wrote 'um' in my begginning reply, it was not a mockery of how you said "um" in yours, I didn't realize until I read my post)

zeffryn
08-07-2008, 04:10 PM
Mel - if you are interested in having just the "stuffing" from the Quizno's sammiches, just get one of their salads and ask them to leave the flatbread off. They have some great choices and most are great for P1.

Good luck and a wish for lots of willpower when you start P1 on Wednesday. I have a ton of recipes saved on my computer if you need any ideas...most are pretty budget friendly and DH/DS loved them.

Ruthxxx
08-07-2008, 04:25 PM
Don't be prickly, M. I just missed what you intended to do.

Fat Melanie
08-07-2008, 04:45 PM
Sorry for being prickly Ruth, I just thought I had done another thing wrong and wasn't sure what exactly (I have foot in mouth syndrome I guess, hehe.). I just need all the advice and help I can get! I have a folder on my computer entitled "SBD" and a subfolder for recipes, and another for tips and advice that I mainly get from you guys on this forum. I just wanted to make sure I had acknowledged everyone so they would know how much I appreciate everyone's advice. (I truly do.) I'm looking forward to restarting ph 1 with the help of this forum. :) (Just explaining my intentions.)

Zeffryn; in my "hungry! hungry hungry hippo! need sub!" mentality that day, I didn't even notice they had salads! I think I'll make another folder titled "fast food" and make a list of all the places around that might tempt me, and list what I can have at each place. Thanks for the tip... I can't believe I didn't notice the salads.

ladybugnessa
08-07-2008, 04:49 PM
Sorry for being prickly Ruth, I just thought I had done another thing wrong and wasn't sure what exactly (I have foot in mouth syndrome I guess, hehe.). I just need all the advice and help I can get! I have a folder on my computer entitled "SBD" and a subfolder for recipes, and another for tips and advice that I mainly get from you guys on this forum. I just wanted to make sure I had acknowledged everyone so they would know how much I appreciate everyone's advice. (I truly do.) I'm looking forward to restarting ph 1 with the help of this forum. :) (Just explaining my intentions.)

Zeffryn; in my "hungry! hungry hungry hippo! need sub!" mentality that day, I didn't even notice they had salads! I think I'll make another folder titled "fast food" and make a list of all the places around that might tempt me, and list what I can have at each place. Thanks for the tip... I can't believe I didn't notice the salads.

Melanie

listen to me... do not over think this... too many folders, too much stuff.

this has to become second nature to you... and it will if you give it enough time.

Tell BF go without me. give him his 8 dollars and be gone... then eat something beachy.

Fat Melanie
08-07-2008, 05:04 PM
Heh, I probably am being a bit obsessive about it. I just want to make sure I have a solution for everything, if I get stuck in the next county over (we unfortunately have to go there for basically everything, Walmart, and the mall and stuff like that). So often we happen to be stuck there, because often when we go we don't know how long it'll before we go back home, so then if I know my options, then I'll be prepared to order say a grilled chicken salad with ranch on the side rather than the Fried Chicken deluxe with nasty white bread and stuff. Because I know I can't convince the BF to not go to such places.

....Okay you're right, I'm overthinking this because I'm all acting crazy. I just don't know what to do in such events other than putting peanuts in the car like Loriann said, but then what about lunchtime when I want a meal? Arrgh! overthinking again. Sometimes though, when we are in the county, and we're home, and we're like, 'what to eat?' I definitely will just hand him his $8 and tell him to go do whatever, while I eat leftovers and whatever.

Zeffryn; tried to edit my post to add this in but my net keeps timing out: I would love some of those budget friendly recipes you mentioned, some recipes are delicious but have way too many ingredients to purchase and then become way too expensive.

ladybugnessa
08-07-2008, 05:06 PM
i always carry nuts, string cheese bottled water and dried fruit with me.

i just always order salad and grilled chicken with dressing on the side (a creamy dressing like ranch)....

i am boring but i'm not stressing.

zeffryn
08-07-2008, 05:11 PM
Mel - I'll try and get the recipes to you soon...I don't have my normal stash as I'm not at home....but I know I have some stored in my emails and such. I'll compile them and get them over to you. I'll probably get your email and just attach them that way....way way way easier than sending a PM.

Also, DH and I rarely go out for fast food but this past weekend when the s**t hit the fan in the middle of Arkansas...we didn't have much choice - the only thing within walking distance was fast food. Blech. I noticed that most things can be made to be pretty SBD friendly....a grilled chicken sandwich sans mayo can easily be turned into a grilled chicken breast (just take the bun off) with a slice of tomato and some lettuce. Most places offer salads - albeit not the best salads. Places like Subway offer natural yogurt (fruit flavored - p2 friendly), apple slices and can turn any sandwich into a salad for a small up charge. Even places like KFC can be ok if you just decide to do it right. They offer grilled chicken in their wraps.....nobody forces you to eat the tortilla....just disassemble it and eat the chicken....a little more messy, but better in the long run.

If you have days that you know you are going to be out for awhile (going to the next city or whatever) - pack a snack. Some string cheese, cut veggies, water with a drink mix are all great options and will help you when you're in 'hungry hungry hippo' mode. ;)

Like Nessa said, it does become second nature....but it takes time.

Fat Melanie
08-07-2008, 05:12 PM
Ladybugnessa: I'm gonna to follow your approach because I'm always stressing about the food choices I'm making and how I screw up and I don't wanna be anymore.

I'll quit with the crazy-person obsessive folders and just do the same as you, make sure everytime I go somewhere carry string cheese and nuts and stuff, then in the event we do stop somewhere, I won't be so ravenous because I've had the snacks, and will have the presence of mind to order salad with grilled chicken and ranch on the side (because I do love such salads). I just have to remember to actually bring said stuff and not forget. I probably wouldn't have made such bad choices if I had eaten some snacks and stabilized my blood sugar. That's it, I'm stocking the car with nuts galore. I can't keep giving in to junk food that I know is horrible for me.

Fat Melanie
08-07-2008, 05:20 PM
Mel - I'll try and get the recipes to you soon...I don't have my normal stash as I'm not at home....but I know I have some stored in my emails and such. I'll compile them and get them over to you. I'll probably get your email and just attach them that way....way way way easier than sending a PM.

Also, DH and I rarely go out for fast food but this past weekend when the s**t hit the fan in the middle of Arkansas...we didn't have much choice - the only thing within walking distance was fast food. Blech. I noticed that most things can be made to be pretty SBD friendly....a grilled chicken sandwich sans mayo can easily be turned into a grilled chicken breast (just take the bun off) with a slice of tomato and some lettuce. Most places offer salads - albeit not the best salads. Places like Subway offer natural yogurt (fruit flavored - p2 friendly), apple slices and can turn any sandwich into a salad for a small up charge. Even places like KFC can be ok if you just decide to do it right. They offer grilled chicken in their wraps.....nobody forces you to eat the tortilla....just disassemble it and eat the chicken....a little more messy, but better in the long run.

If you have days that you know you are going to be out for awhile (going to the next city or whatever) - pack a snack. Some string cheese, cut veggies, water with a drink mix are all great options and will help you when you're in 'hungry hungry hippo' mode. ;)

Like Nessa said, it does become second nature....but it takes time.

Thanks Zeffryn, that will be awesome.

Great advice concerning the fast food places, I think when I start bringing snacks along, it will be so much easier to just take a bun off something and throw it away, or get a huge salad rather than a huge sandwich. I could just slap myself for not choosing to do these things when I could have done so, when we went to hardees, quiznos, etc. Urrgh. I keep blaming my ravenous hunger after not eating the snacks, but it's me, because I have the power to choose to eat the right things, and the power to bring along the snacks so that I don't get tempted into binging on bad stuff later.

If I have to put sticky notes on the car window saying "have you remembered to pack your snacks?" then I will. BF's mocking be damned.

zeffryn
08-07-2008, 05:21 PM
haha!

Don't beat yourself up too much about this....just learn and move on. You seem to have the right attitude about this.

Thin4Good
08-07-2008, 05:31 PM
I found myself getting a little carried away with the nuts at first (particularly in the car) - I actually found little 100 calorie packs of plain almonds which I keep in the car now. That way I don't accidentally eat more than I should.

HTH

Fat Melanie
08-07-2008, 05:45 PM
*horror*... I could easily see myself snacking away on like 800 calories of nuts while in the car.... *horrified*

So, good suggestion, Thin4good, I am glad you mentioned that. If I can't find those little snack packs, I will divide up the nuts into little plastic baggies, putting one portion into each bag... I didn't think of that, and am very disturbed at what sort of perverted food binging might have went on in that car if you had not mentioned that. I'd come home fatter than I started out when I first entered the car that day.

errantbehavior
08-07-2008, 06:32 PM
JerseyGirrl
Sorry to hear about all the trouble with people close to you! I hope things get better fast!

errantbehavior
08-07-2008, 06:48 PM
Melanie

listen to me... do not over think this... too many folders, too much stuff.

this has to become second nature to you... and it will if you give it enough time.

Tell BF go without me. give him his 8 dollars and be gone... then eat something beachy.

Ladybugnessa-
I find that having stuff like that on hand really helps me. I keep lots of recipes and info on my google notebook (nice because i don't have to be at home to access it)

errantbehavior
08-07-2008, 06:57 PM
Melanie-
Just this week I litterally planned out what I was going to have for breakfast/lunch/dinner (with snacks of string cheese, nuts, hummus, etc)

I wrote it all down and made a grocery list, trying to include some meals that would make good leftovers (I made the recipe for Enchiladinis (sort of like taco bake but with chicken) and I have a ton left to freeze and my boyfriend took some to work today)

I also am on a somewhat tight food budget (you're right, grocieries are crazy expensive right now), so in order to not spend all my money at the grocery store i have to plan ahead.

Maybe try planning out one week in advance and see how it works for you? Remember, it's not like you have to have EXACTLY what you put on the plan- if you don't feel like having chicken on Monday, switch it out for whatever you feel like that day...

A lot of the meats and vegetables can be mixed up too if you decide you don't like something on your plan when it comes to eat it :) At least it gives you some options that are readily available though- and if you plan ahead your prep time can be reduced greatly, giving you less excuse to go out.

After working all day, cooking for 1-2 hours is the last thing I want to do :)

Fat Melanie
08-07-2008, 07:31 PM
Thanks Errantbehavior, that was some really great advice. Definitely plan on planning ahead a week. I see how everybody on the SBD plan freezes leftovers, and plans ahead with their grocery lists, so I've got to get on board with that because it clearly works. OMG; that enchiladini stuff?! I tried that last month from the recipe forum and it was so delicious, even my BF loved it. It was your recipe, you said? Well done, that stuff was sooo good.

cottagebythesea
08-08-2008, 07:10 AM
Many good hints and suggestions in here, so I'm closing this thread.