Old 08-06-2008, 05:20 AM   #1  

Question Diabetic Male 100+ overweight... which plan???

Hello. I've recently decided to get my act together and lose weight. I went to LAWL about 3 or 4 years ago, and was successful there, but didn't stick it out too long, however I've always thought the plan was great. Now, my entire family has decided that we are all committing to getting in shape and now I'm trying to figure out which plan is right for my father.

I think the best plan for my mother is the purple without lites (she doesn't want them) since she's looking to lose about 75 pounds.

My father is the one that I need the most help with. He's 53, 5'10", 285 lbs, type 2 diabetes, has had recent back surgery and can only do a little exercise. He doesn't want to do the lites. I don't see alot of info around for men, and was wondering if anyone could be of any help, since it seems like he would need more food than just the red1 plan w/o lites.

If anyone could weigh in on their thoughts, it would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by hcandelar; 12-11-2009 at 08:48 PM.
hcandelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 06:55 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

South Beach is an excellent plan for diabetics, and most men like the food.

Good Luck!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 06:56 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Um... I was half asleep and didn't even read the post - just the title. What a dork. Ok, I see you are referring to LAWL of which I know nothing.

Good luck, though! It's so great you are all in this together. I'm sure the support will help a lot!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 08:32 AM   #4  
And we're Off!

S/C/G: I have a ticker!

Hey Candi, Not sure which plan, but just wanted to say how great it is that you are all doing this together. My husband is not on any plan and eats what he wants. It's very hard to keep the house safe for me. haha.
good luck, this is a great board and hopefully someone can help you out with what specific plan is best.
durdansgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 01:33 PM   #5  
TBL Challenge Blue Team

S/C/G: 308/199/175

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcandelar View Post
Hello. My name's Candi, and I've recently decided to get my act together and lose weight. I went to LAWL about 3 or 4 years ago, and was successful there, but didn't stick it out too long, however I've always thought the plan was great. Now, my entire family has decided that we are all committing to getting in shape and now I'm trying to figure out which plan is right for my father.

I'm going back to the red plan with luna bars, as I need to lose 150+ pounds.

I think the best plan for my mother is the purple without lites (she doesn't want them) since she's looking to lose about 75 pounds.

My father is the one that I need the most help with. He's 53, 5'10", 285 lbs, type 2 diabetes, has had recent back surgery and can only do a little exercise. He doesn't want to do the lites. I don't see alot of info around for men, and was wondering if anyone could be of any help, since it seems like he would need more food than just the red1 plan w/o lites.

If anyone could weigh in on their thoughts, it would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Candi

Candi - I would suggest that your father try Red 1 since he doesn't want to do the lites. My father was about his size (without Diabetes), but not as heavy, and that is where he started, but with the lites, but again, my father was heavily exercising (which means he would have just been on the Red plan without the exercise), which is not really an option for your father right now.

Red 1 is actually quite a bit of food even without the lites. I started on Red 1 because I had 136 lbs to lose and was 5'6" and was moderately exercising (30+ minutes a day on average).

I was actually going to ask about yours and your mothers height and exercising because the plans you have listed for you all seem to possibly be a little off.

The plan really depends on a great deal of factors. To give you an idea, I have only 23 lbs left to get to goal, which under normal circumstances would put me getting ready to move from Purple to Gold, based on my height, and weight to lose, but I actually had to move back up to Red, because I am working out on average 600+ minutes a week of hard exercise and was not losing weight because my body was holding on to everything because of the amount I was working out.

I would suggest you have him try the Red 1 plan and see how it goes. You can always adjust it as needed, but remember that food is relative. I had a hard time moving back up to Red and eat all that food, then I remembered that I used to do Red 1 and felt I wasn't getting enough when I first started. Give it time to work and then adjust as necessary.
krjpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:06 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by krjpy View Post
Candi - I would suggest that your father try Red 1 since he doesn't want to do the lites. My father was about his size (without Diabetes), but not as heavy, and that is where he started, but with the lites, but again, my father was heavily exercising (which means he would have just been on the Red plan without the exercise), which is not really an option for your father right now.

Red 1 is actually quite a bit of food even without the lites. I started on Red 1 because I had 136 lbs to lose and was 5'6" and was moderately exercising (30+ minutes a day on average).

I was actually going to ask about yours and your mothers height and exercising because the plans you have listed for you all seem to possibly be a little off.

The plan really depends on a great deal of factors. To give you an idea, I have only 23 lbs left to get to goal, which under normal circumstances would put me getting ready to move from Purple to Gold, based on my height, and weight to lose, but I actually had to move back up to Red, because I am working out on average 600+ minutes a week of hard exercise and was not losing weight because my body was holding on to everything because of the amount I was working out.

I would suggest you have him try the Red 1 plan and see how it goes. You can always adjust it as needed, but remember that food is relative. I had a hard time moving back up to Red and eat all that food, then I remembered that I used to do Red 1 and felt I wasn't getting enough when I first started. Give it time to work and then adjust as necessary.
Thanks for the help! Congrats on all your hard work!!! I'm impressed and inspired!! Let's see...

First off, I've got the whole family doing Wii Fit, which is great... excellent for beginners, as it lets you do a couple mins of exercise at a time and counts the cumulative amount... so it may take an hour to get 30 mins worth of exercise, but hey, it's something!

For me, I'm 30, 5'5", 315lbs with a goal weight of 130lbs. I used to be a hard core athlete, so I'm committed to working out, and hopefully hard, most of the time. I'm doing at least 30-60 mins of Wii Fit a day and next week will be adding a second workout that will also be 30-60 mins. This will be Dance, Dance Revolution or some other dancing DVD that will be a fairly difficult workout.

My mom, she's 55, 5'3" and I'm not exactly sure of her weight... probably around 230-250lbs or so, all she told me is that she wants to lose between 50-75 pounds. Right now, she's been doing the Wii Fit as well, about 20-30 mins a day and will likely join me about half the time for the dancing workouts, though she doesn't work as hard as I do, but she tries.

My dad is actually doing the Wii Fit as well. He is doing 30 mins a day, and even though it takes him a long while to accumulate the 30 mins, he's doing it. I don't see him adding any other workout anytime soon, his back is healing extremely slowly since the surgery a couple months ago.

Hopefully this helps, and someone knows better what plans we should all be doing. Thanks so much!!

Candi
hcandelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 01:07 PM   #7  
TBL Challenge Blue Team

S/C/G: 308/199/175

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcandelar View Post
Thanks for the help! Congrats on all your hard work!!! I'm impressed and inspired!! Let's see...

First off, I've got the whole family doing Wii Fit, which is great... excellent for beginners, as it lets you do a couple mins of exercise at a time and counts the cumulative amount... so it may take an hour to get 30 mins worth of exercise, but hey, it's something!

I am all for anything that gets you moving. I try and work in 2-3 times a week of Wii Yoga

For me, I'm 30, 5'5", 315lbs with a goal weight of 130lbs. I used to be a hard core athlete, so I'm committed to working out, and hopefully hard, most of the time. I'm doing at least 30-60 mins of Wii Fit a day and next week will be adding a second workout that will also be 30-60 mins. This will be Dance, Dance Revolution or some other dancing DVD that will be a fairly difficult workout.

I would try the Red 1 plan for you. I started at 311 and was the same height and a couple years older, but was working out too. I would stick with the Red 1 until about 280-290 before I'd drop to Red. You really need the fuel with the working out, otherwise your body just holds on to everything and you lose nothing

My mom, she's 55, 5'3" and I'm not exactly sure of her weight... probably around 230-250lbs or so, all she told me is that she wants to lose between 50-75 pounds. Right now, she's been doing the Wii Fit as well, about 20-30 mins a day and will likely join me about half the time for the dancing workouts, though she doesn't work as hard as I do, but she tries.

She might be fine on the purple, but if she isn't doing the lites, I would put her up on Red for her first 15 lbs or so to see how she does, but if she is doing the lites, she will probable do fine on Purple, watch her weight lose though since she is working out with you, she may need the Red for the fuel, too.

My dad is actually doing the Wii Fit as well. He is doing 30 mins a day, and even though it takes him a long while to accumulate the 30 mins, he's doing it. I don't see him adding any other workout anytime soon, his back is healing extremely slowly since the surgery a couple months ago.

I would put him on the Red 1 to start, you can always move him down, but I really think for his age, being male, his weight (he is pretty tall too if I remember correctly), and the very light exercising he is doing, he would be better off to start on the Red 1.

Hopefully this helps, and someone knows better what plans we should all be doing. Thanks so much!!

Candi
This are just my opinions, I am by no means an expert, but I was right about where you are and my parent both did LAWL too. Good Luck and yell at us if we can help.

Last edited by krjpy; 08-08-2008 at 01:08 PM.
krjpy is offline   Reply With Quote