Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2002, 05:11 PM   #1  

Default need help setting realistic goals

Hi,

How did you all decide on your mini goals and goal weights?

I'm five feet eight inches tall, medium frame (under here somewhere!) and currently 253 lbs.

My fantasy goal is 145, but I think a more realistic one is around 155-165.

Any comments, suggestions for a goal weight and first mini goal?

Is it realistic to lose forty or fifty pounds by Christmas? Hoping to get a family portrait done this year...

thanks and have a nice weekend and holiday
Sherry
Old 03-29-2002, 05:41 PM   #2  

Sherry welcome and let me try to assist you the best way I can. Yes it is very realistic to lose 50 pounds by Christmas. The "best" weightloss is around 1-2 pounds per week. As far as your final goal, you may just have to see how ya look and feel when ya get down closer to the goal....I set 170 and have no clue how I would look or feel, I may need to readjust that goal as I get there. As for the mini goals they are usually something we feel we can actually achieve, don't set something you will be unable to do but then you will feel like ya failed and that isn't true. For example I wanted to lose 20 pounds by Easter, as of yesterday I lost 19, if I don't get that other pound I will be very satisfied anyway. My next goal is 14 more pounds by Mother's day. That will be my first 10% loss of total body weight (total of 34 lost starting weight 336). Good luck and we are here to help ya as much as we can.

Kim
336/317/170
Old 03-29-2002, 06:13 PM   #3  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

I agree set goals that are about 1-2 lbs a week and stick with the program. it did not come on all the same time (am much as we would like to believe) but it snuck up on us. so watch the food and focus on the short term with the long term goals in mind. keep your goals in the front of your mind. so you can keep your focus and show your self how great you have done. with 5 lbs gone go to the store ans place 5 lbs of butter in your cart and look at it!! think if the greasy stuff in there and how you have lost that. it is a wonderful feeling amd feel a 5 lb of sugar how havy it is. doing those things will help keepyou on tract. and feel some accomplishment focus on the short terms will hel;p keep the long haul from seeing too long but you do have to keep it in mind so you can see where you are going to be. I know that did not seem like it made much sence but if you think about it it does. remember that it takes 6 lbs of fat to fit in a gallon jug for milk. how is that for visualization?
Old 03-29-2002, 09:11 PM   #4  
Losin It For GOOD!

20 lbs of butter?? GRROOOOOSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!

I never thought of it that way before!! If that's not motivation, I don't know what is!!!!

Here is what the chart I got from weight watchers (that my doc agrees with for medium or small boned people)

5'8" 131-151 (maxiumum for ages up to 25)
131-158 (maximum 25-45 years)
131-164 (45+)

I think I might look sickly at 158.. but who knows. It's a lot closer to the goal I set for myself than I thought! I'm 5'8" and have very large bone structure, so I set my goal at 172 (125 lbs lost). But hey, its only 14 lbs from the WW reccomended maximum. So, maybe I'll shoot for it when I get there! (although my doc said he would give me a note!!) I'm going to just sneak through if I'm in WW by then, because I turn 25 in June! heheheh
Closed Thread