Support Groups - Post Partum Hotties

View Full Version : Post Partum Hotties

geneve
03-29-2002, 04:20 PM
Getting hotter.....will it be shorts or kaftans this summer?

Jen
03-29-2002, 08:28 PM
Hi all. Just thought I would let you know that I bought a very expensive pair of running shoes yesterday. Between the shoes and the stroller I have spent over $500 on this latest quest to lose weight. I have been walking/jogging these past few days, gradually working up to it. I"ll get there eventually!!

Happy Easter everyone, stay away from the chocolate!

bc
03-29-2002, 09:14 PM
Jen, with that investment YOU WILL DO IT! I have faith, good to know at least one of us will be wearing shorts this summer......showing off those runners thighs :)

Geneve, I bet you will make it too. That walk sounds wonderful. I would love to be able to walk like that along the water....even if I was some distance away a sporadic glimps would be good enough for me.

I won't even talk about my status. At least my kids are cute :^: I am trying to make better choices and what sweets I have had have been much less than if I was totally bounding out of control. I just need to find a way and I suspect it won't entail sitting in front of the computer.

Barb

Jen
03-31-2002, 09:32 AM
barb, there is nothing wrong with being on the computer now and then. I try to limit my time on the computer too but still sometimes you need some time to yourself do to something that is relaxing and fun. You'll get there, don't worry about it. I know you are thinking a lot about what you need to do and I've seen plenty of studies on how people make big changes in their life and you are in the complentative stage. Eventually you'll move on to the planning and action stage when you are ready.

Went to see the grandmother's yesterday. Talk about a study in contrasts. My husband's mother is the guilt trip artist. I suspect she doesn't even know she is doing it anymore. My mother plays more with the baby but she is so critical of everything I do. Also she is trying to tell me that me and my brothers were content babies who never cried. What a crock! I come away from her place feeling like I am the worst mother in the world but I know that I'm not. One of these days I'm going to ask her if she enjoys making me feel like doggy doo.

Haven't got out with the new shoes yet. Gonna try this morning. Been drinking lots of water and the diet hasn't been too bad. How is everyone else doing?

geneve
04-01-2002, 03:45 PM
WHO INVENTED EASTER EGGS THEN?WHAT WAS WRONG WITH CHICKEN'S EGGS? WHY CHOCOLATE?
No, I'm not sitting here feeling sick from eating too much chocolate, really I'm not:devil:
I would have been OK as I only got one, BUT my 7 month old got as many as the 4 year old. By Sunday afternnon, Ted was trying to give his away....we took a load of little ones we were given to friends we knew had kids staying, I hid them in the garden and they had an egg hunt...so we got some back again THEN they gave us a load more. And it's PMT time for me. We still have loads of the damn things left. I never want to look at choclate again.
AND it's the start of the school Easter holidays so almost impossible to get to tthe gym.
SSSO NOW I have to pick myself up, and start all over again,.
I WANT TO BE THIN. I WANT TO BE THIN. I WANT TO BE THIN MORETHAN I WANT TO EAT CHOCOLATE EGGS SO WHY AM I STILL EATING THE EGGS?????????????
:?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
Jen....your folks sound sooo sweet. You and me should get ourselves adopted:lol:

Jen
04-01-2002, 04:50 PM
I want to be thin too!!! Hey we'll get there. Just think how long it took to gain all this weight...if we lose the weight in a year or 2 we should be laughing.

Throw those blasted eggs in the garbage!! If people want to give you presents why don't they give your kids a toy or something useful like clothes. Nobody needs that much chocolate, not you or your kids.

Went out jogging/walking today. I'm doing it according to this program in Runner's World. One week you do this, the next you do this and so on. In 10 weeks or so I should be mostly jogging. Today was not too bad though I was beet red for about an hour afterwards. I did a lot better than I thought I would.

Take care all.

bc
04-01-2002, 08:48 PM
I confess I have eaten some of those chocolate eggs. at least I made a vow to only buy the good stuff and buy much less of it. My children are much older and they keep me from eating very much. They even raided out Easter basket and claimed the candy as their own. I have to admit I was ok with that.

I did the Precor today for half an hour. I also went on a walk with Isabelle to the coffee shop where my friend works. She wasn't working so I just had a cup of coffee and left. It is much more fun going there when she is working.

I also watched what I ate today. I am sure I was well within my points range.

I have a splitting headache and he is about 6feet tall. Seriously my husband is going through some midlife crisis and he keeps laying it on me. I wonder if I will be able to have my own midlife crisis or if I will be too busy deflecting his. :(

Did I tell you about my lotions? They are thick as cream and satisfy my urge to use fat. I have added them to my soapmaking and lip balms. My skin should be very pampered. I guess putting the oils outside of my body is better than inside. :)

Look for a report tomorrow. I want to do the Precor again!

Barb

PS also took my vitamins :)

geneve
04-02-2002, 02:17 AM
Souns like you two are doing really well. I am inspired.
Slim fast fro breakfast and everything back to normal. I am going to put all the eggs left into one box and stick them in my sons room. He can eat them, as he is nice and slim and has lovely teeth (Fathers genes) , he doesn't care for sweets that much, so I expect they will get thrown away when he's not looking. i iwll not be eating any more of them.
Am going to go to the gym after DH finishes work.
My friend had a baby last night...4 weeks early!She won't be joining us though...she's very slim, but it will be nice to have some baby company.
must go kids fighting.
I love shcool holidays.
geneve

Jen
04-08-2002, 04:58 PM
Hi all. Well a lot has happened since I last posted. The hubby got fired last week. It wasn't a big surprise or anything and frankly I think it is something of a relief. I'm hoping that some of the stress induced headaches he has been having for the past year will now be relieved. We aren't in a bind financially as he got several weeks of severance plus he has 2 weeks of vacation owing so we are good for a couple of months. Also he has been working on the side for this other company that will hire him outright when they have got enough business to keep him employed. Between that and a couple of other freelance things he has picked up we should be okay til I go back to work. By then he should have this other job so everything should be fine. The big issue is whether or not we will kill each other after spending so much time together!

I started my run/walking last week. I ran on Monday, ran 1 min. walked 3 minutes and did this 7 times. Wednesday I started out and my knees were just killing me. I figured I went too fast on Monday. I managed to get through it though. I rested on Thursday, no exercise at all, then Friday I went for a walk, the knees were still sore. I ran Saturday, knees were not too bad. Today I went for a walk, halfway through the knees were ready to give out. I'm not sure what to do now. I'll see how they are tomorrow. Basically I'm taking it day by day though I'm thinking I might have to just take a week off with no exercise altogether to get my knees back to normal. I think I could probably ride my exercise bike. That's not weight bearing so it should be okay for my knees.

Drake has been in one of those whiny/crying moods these past 2 days. It is driving me nuts!:cry: I'm about ready to throw myself on the bed and have a tantrum out of frustration. It doesn't seem to matter what I do, I just can't get him to calm down sometimes. He isn't hungry, his diaper is fine, he won't go to sleep, I move him around from room to room, in his exerciser, in his stroller, in his crib. He's in his crib right now watching his mobile. At least he is being quiet (for now, knock on wood). I know it will pass but does it drive me nuts.:dizzy:

Well take care all, hope things are better with everyone than here!

geneve
04-09-2002, 03:12 AM
Jen,Much as I generally disaprove of people who do this I am sending you a hug.....cannot think of anything else to do. Please take care of yourself.
As you may rememebr Andrew was off work 8 months last year, and I do have a handy hint. Get HIM to look after Drake, you'll find he's back in employument as soon as he can!Seriously, I know your husband has been very unhappy and it's good he has somewhere he can work but i do hope all the stress doesn't get passed on to you.
Running is very hard on your knees and shins if you are overweight especially if you run on a hard surface like tarmac. Be careful, fast walking is almost as good for you and much less impact. Enzo Ferrari of the car farme said that a good engineer should always wear shoes with think soles to protect his precious brain from imapct!You need to treat your knees with equal care.
Drake sounds like he's teething, which as I'mSUR you know can drag on forever without anmy actual signs of teeth.
Leo now has 6 and more on the way. He also has conjunctivitis for the second timein his life. Ted has one of those almost colds.
We were going out today but I will make him stay in and watch the Queen Mother's funeral. I am not a great one for the royals but this country does excel at these events. I watched her grandsons mounting vigil by the coffin last night and was moved to tears....msut be my hormones!!!!!!
Look once agin No mention of a diet. I have renewed confidence, the scales are creeping VERY slowly down and people are starting to notice I look thinner, I am going to carry on exercising and try to eat healthily without counting calories, that way I might actually enjoy it. Did I tell you about my brother? He was very big, changed jobs from teacher to postman and has lost it all over 2 years without dieting (so he says ) he never weighs himself (these things seem so much easier for the men) but he was v.fat now looks normal, and he never runs, just walks.
Good luck all of you, if you want my e-mail jen let me know.
Geneve

bc
04-09-2002, 09:44 AM
Jen, I don't know what to say....... I know you will do just fine. I second Geneve's suggestion you get your husband to watch over Drake, not only will it give him a taste of what it is really like, but it will give you a much needed break too.

I think Drake is teething too. They really do fuss and you have no idea why and then a week or two later the teeth make a showing. You know it IS ok to leave him to cry when you are at your wits end. Just make sure he is in a safe place (like the crib) and you aren't too far away (like visiting Geneve ;) ). We all know these things pass with babies, but when we are in the thick of things we can't imagine it any different.

Geneve, sounds like you are doing well! Good.

My kids are off next week, as is my husband. I hope we all survive. :dizzy:

Barb

Jen
04-10-2002, 07:58 AM
Hi all. Thanks for your words of encouragement. So far things are okay with the hubby being home. Actually he is keeping busy doing freelance work so we are getting on fine.

Drake was better yesterday. Oh believe me I have left him in his crib for a few minutes on several occasions while I sit and take some deep breaths. I'm sure he's got some more teeth coming in, once they do break the gum he is usually better. That's what happened with the first 2 anyway.

I did go and buy a good pair of running shoes and I'm running on ashphalt not concrete so I don't think it is that. I really do think that I just overdid it the first day. Went for a walk Monday and yesterday and my knees are still very sore. I've decided just to take a whole week off and not do any walking or running. I will go on my exercise bike though, that is not weight bearing so my knees shouldn't get worse from that. So I'll see next week how my knees are and have another go at running but much, much slower this time.

Barb - I know exactly what you mean about not making it through spending so much time with the family. The hubby and I fight a lot if we spend so much time together. I hope he gets this job soon.

Geneve - I watched some of the Queen Mother's funeral. It was quite moving really. Good to hear that the scales are creeping downwards, sounds like you are doing very well. Keep it up!:D

geneve
04-10-2002, 08:02 AM
Hi Barb, wouldn't it be nice if we could visit? Long trip for me though!
I have family in New Jersey and Toronto, but no prospect of a trip over the pond this year, I need a bigger car (current model is the VW Polo my Dad gave me when I had Ted, to replace my beloved sports) and as they cost much more over here I suspect all my holidays will be within driving distance.
I have a VERY odd request fro you here Barb, but I'm at my wits end. Do you ever go to, or know anyone who goes to the Crayola Factory in Pennsylvania? Told you it was an odd request, but if you do then can I request a bit of shopping? My son has a T-shirt I bought him there last year and he will not be parted from it, it usually gets washed and dried while he is at school but the holidays have been a bit fraught. I looked on the website to buy another one but they only seem to have adults. I am going to write to them anyway,they were very sweet there (strongly recommend it, Ted thought it was much better than Disney!!!)and I'm sure if I sent them the money and postage they would help me. I think I should buy one every size to adult! I wouldn't mind but it's a really loud tie dye number, all colours...at least I can't lose him in a crowd.
On the other hand, I could carry on with the 2 door polo and go to New York again....would be the most expensive t-shirt in history!!!
Good luck with the holidays, I have my nephew coming to stay from today, so expect to be totally certifiable by the weekend. Have promised London on Saturday and booked a trip to Lego land (UGH! )for later in the month. It will al end in tears. Probably mine.
I want to open a Crayola factory here, or even better one of those climbing exercise things they have for kids (bouncey castles and all that) scaled up for adult use...you could get fit and have fun at the same time!
Baby asleep, i have been rocking him in his pram. He fell off the bed this morning in one of those 'I only turned my back for a minute' moments. They have beoth been really grizzly today, went to see my friend who has had the hysterectomy, not sure who looked more bedraggled, or felt more jealous...she wants kids, I fancy a few weeks peace in a plush hospital full of drugs!

geneve
04-10-2002, 08:04 AM
Hi Jen if you're still on line!:)

bc
04-10-2002, 09:15 AM
Geneve, I have been to the Crayola factory about three or four years ago. It is fun and the kids were entertianed. It is about two or three hours for us, something I am sure you would make in a heartbeat........however I haven't got artists for kids and they end up watching me happily do all of the crafts. I bet if they have the t-shirts they will be happy to send you one.

The town I live in is a bit of a hippy town and tie dye shirts abound, even when they aren't the trend. If you want a tye dyed shirt I can oblige..... we could get it VERY colorful. ;)

Jen, what does your husband do? Could he work full time freelancing? It might be good for him to be his own boss, or it might drive you crazy!

The house is quiet right now. I got the kids off to school and Isabelle is still sleeping. I haven't had any coffee and yet, cause of the quiet, I feel all things are possible. Have a good day ladies.

Barb

geneve
04-10-2002, 09:44 AM
Barb, I'm feeling all excited about Monday when school starts since I read your post.I can just about remember quiet!
Brighton near us has an area where I might be able to get a tie dye shirt...he might well be happy with that, he could have one for evryday and the crayola one for best. Good thinking Batwoman:D He seems to be determinedto dress like Nelson Mandela at all times, which I guess is OK, but as I only ever wear navy/black/grey with the odd white shirt it's difficult for me to go shopping with him. His school uniform is navy sweater, white shirt and grey shorts and he looks adorable in it, outside school he declines the clothes I choose. Yesterday he had red trousers, green & yellow stripey socks, the T-shirt and a yellow fleece on.What is it about men????Thank God the 80's flourescent stuff isn't still around. I suspect DH would wear the same with the smallest encouragement.

bc
04-10-2002, 10:01 AM
You know I wear mostly black, grey, and olive with some colors thrown in but I love color! My kids have colorful clothes and I think are aquiring a pretty good sense of color in their wardrobe. Of course boys are a bit limited, but there is still much to find. This is tempered with their basic colors of black, blue, olive and tan so they don't really look like circus acts. :lol: I love being able to spot them in a crowd.

The house is still quiet, however I think Isabelle might be up, and perhaps even crying, but I don't hear her so all is right..... actually the guilt has gotten to me and I am on my way upstairs to her ASAP.

Barb

Jen
04-10-2002, 10:09 AM
We talked about him started his own business, he does computer drawings of houses and stuff like cabinets. The thing is that this sort of business has a lot of peaks and valleys, right now there is a peak which is why he is getting all this work. Also there might be times where he has to go out and hustle for work which I don't think he would like. I asked him that and he agreed with me. He'd be better off in some ways being his own boss but there is so much more security in working for a larger company.

geneve
04-12-2002, 05:52 PM
I vote security too, spread your wings when the babies are bigger.
It appears Leo has not inherited my concerns for a healthy diet. After 8 months of monitored intake he spent the day with Granny and grandad and ate a sausage and that great British artery blocker fish and chips! I saw the fish and chips bit, he was SOOOO happy I could not stop him, he even ate the skin and batter which I cannot bear to. I was pleased about the fish, which I know is OK if you don't eat the batter, but chips fried in God only knows what......lard, I think.
I am leaving him with DH tomorrow but am taking my Mother with me so she cannot get to him!
I may not be here for a while DH is having an operation on his ear on Monday...the appointment came up much quicker than we anticipated. He'll be off work for at least two weeks and I imagine I'll be kept busy.Am dreading it. At least Ted will be back at school.
So if you don't hear from me just assume I'm lurking and cheering you on.
Geneve:strong:

Jen
04-13-2002, 07:55 AM
Geneve - hope your hubby's surgery goes well. We'll see you when you get a break from looking after him and the kids! Keep care of yourself too.

Not much new with me. I'm thinking of trying Weight Watchers. Heaven knows nothing else is working for me. In fact I think I have gained weight!! My scale fluctuates so much. I was determined not to use it but that idea didn't last long. I don't know what else to do.:(

geneve
04-15-2002, 02:50 PM
Hi, well DH's operation has been postponed until tomorrow, so a bit more tension t enjoy. Today was awful. Leo is teething again and grizzled all day with hardly any sleep. Ted was off school with a cough and was grizzly too.
I spent all day hating them and eating biscuits. I will get to the gym tomorrow no matter what, and before I go seriously off track.
However, i was so hacked off I phoned my Mum up and told her what I thought of her so-called support...she was nonplussed...but at least I felt better. My Mother is a classic victim and I have been the grown up in our relationship for as long as I can remember, so if I say anything to her like 'it would be nice of you came andkept an eye on the kids rather than asking me to help you with your college work' she just retreats into 'Oh but you're so much more capable than I am, I suppose I'm just not vut out for that sort of thing,it's easier for you etc etc etc'.
I suppose that's why I spend so much of my time on here moaning, I simply don't have any9ne else to moan at. So thanks Jenand Barb, I should appreciate you more! I say to you what I would hesitate to say to those who supposedly love me. I never thought of it that way before. I owe you both for listening to me. Big thanks.
You wouldn't believe how many biscuits I ate today. Even I don't.
:(

bc
04-15-2002, 05:10 PM
Geneve, I think of friends (online and not) as sounding boards. We either get to practice -and theoretically perfect- what we want to say........ or we get to get it out and let it drop.

Which ever serves our purpose............. ;)

However, I will add, it is easier to vent to online friends because if I complained about my husband and kids to my friends in person they might look at them differently........online friends don't have to have a relationship with my family.

John took the boys to his parents. So here I sit with Isabelle. She is actually much more work.........which is why he took the boys.

Barb

Lara H
04-15-2002, 08:51 PM
Hi ladies :)

I notice it's just the three of you posting here and you all seem to know each other really well, are you open to newcomers?

I'm a new mom, Mya Alise was born 3 1/2 weeks ago, and she is our first child. I've already lost all my pregnancy weight plus about 4# more (depending upon my salt intake... it fluctuates between 2 and 6 #) but I still have a long way to go to reach goal. I have to admit to being absolutely shocked at how fast the weight came off as I have not been dieting. I am breastfeeding though (or trying to) and some people say that that really helps with the weight. :shrug:

Lara
:wave:

bc
04-15-2002, 09:13 PM
Hi Lara, of course you are welcome! There are more of us..............we just end up posting more often. :)

Congratulations on Mya! I always heard the pregnancy weight would come right off and generally mine does, however this time it didn't. I actually gained weight! However I think that was because of my thyroid so I won't hold it against my daughter ;) I too am breastfeeding, but we are down to only a few times a day so I can't really count that anymore.

I have an almost 11 month old and two son's who are 7 and 9. This is, hopefully, my last child. :D she is a joy though.

Oh oh better get her I hear paper ripping!

Barb

Jen
04-16-2002, 12:45 PM
Hi all.

Welcome Lara and congrats on your little one. any and all are welcome to join us.

Geneve - I meant to ask you, how many teeth does Leo have? I can't get over that he ate a sausage and chips! Drake is 7 months old, has 2 teeth and still gags whenever I give him anything thicker than puree though he is able to eat those Farley biscuits as they turn into complete mush anyway. What a mess that is.

Well I did go ahead and join weight watchers. I am getting so desperate to lose weight, nothing else seems to be working. I know why I"m not losing the weight I just can't see to do anything about it. Hopefully WW will help. The bad news was that their scale is 10 lbs more than mine, so I wasn't very happy about that. I had my suspisions though as I got on the scale at the vet's when the assistant wasn't looking and it was more than the scale at home. The hubby was also a bit upset that he weighs 10 lbs more than what he thought. he needs to lose weight too but he doesn't want to work for it yet.

Take care all, talk to you soon.

Lara H
04-16-2002, 03:55 PM
Thank you for the welcome. There are still days when I can't quite believe that I'm a mom and that I grew this perfect little being inside me.

Well... I have an appt with a lactation consultant for this afternoon. And I rented a hospital grade breast pump. And I'm taking these homeopathic drops that taste horrid but are supposed to increase your milk supply (as mine seems to be drying up :( ). So far (since yesterday when I rented it), the pumping is still majorly frustrating... but the drops do seem to be working... I woke up this morning feeling the need to pump rather than just knowing I should to keep at least some milk coming. I'd like to feel that need on a regular basis, like every 3 or 4 hours or so. If this works, even if I haave to continue to pump I'll be happy. I'd like to get so that Mya is getting more breast milk than formula rather than the other way around.

gotta go... I hear her waking up... will type more later...

Lara

bc
04-16-2002, 06:10 PM
Lara, Just keep drinking and put Mya to nurse as often as you can. If she just lays there and nurses it is fine, cause that will help you make more milk. If you try laying down to nurse that might be the easiest to relax and let her go. :)

I know a woman who thought she was drying up and had to suppliment she followed what the lactation consultant said and everything improved.

Just remember drink!!!!! you can have some serious problems if you don't stay hydrated. Go to the store and find lots of drinks with no caffine that you would be interested in drinking so you don't get bored with one or two drinks.

Good luck!!!!

Barb

Jen
04-16-2002, 07:30 PM
Lara, there is a medication called Domperidone, I don't know if it is available in the US, that is wonderful for milk let down. I pumped for several weeks as well, my little darling refused to nurse no matter how many consultants I saw. It was just too frustrating for both of us.

Lara H
04-16-2002, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the advice :)

I really like this woman, she seems really down to earth and wasn't going on and on about attachment parenting, or berating me for having given Mya a bottle. She just said lets deal with this. Really down to earth.

I'm drinking a TON of water... I go through about a gallon a day. And I drink Juice as well. Mostly only 100% juice types, although I will admit to drinking some that have added sugar but I try to keep those to a minimum.

So I'm going to be pumping every 2 -3 hours and only taking off 5 hours at night... I had been letting it go a full 8 hours at night but I really do want to build my milk back up so I will do as she says. At least the electric pump is faster... and I can do both sides at once. so instead of an hour it's going to be more like 15 to 20 minutes total. :) Hopefully this will cut down on the frustration.

Lara

Jen
04-22-2002, 06:41 PM
Had my first weekly weigh in since I joined WW, I've lost 6 lbs. :)
That's great of course but a lot of it is water but still I feel a lot better about myself.

We are going through a nap thing with Drake. I made the mistake of using the bottle to get him to sleep. I know it was a bad thing to do but I was getting so frustrated that he wasn't napping during the day unless he was in the stroller or car seat. He won't take a pacifier anymore and the crying is driving me nuts especially when I know if I give him a bottle he'll be asleep in 10 minutes. I can't stand to listen to him cry because he really gets going. Any suggestions?

geneve
04-23-2002, 03:54 PM
Hi Everyone,
Just a quickie as I'm knackered after a week nursing DH. Good news is the bone they removed was infected but not malignant, bad news they took his ear drum away, and that area of his head is a mess. He has long very curly hair and it's murder washing the blood out. OK a bit more info than you needed I'll stop now!
Lara, the thing about breast feeding is to persevere. If it helps then just think that every drop to Mya is really helping her get the best start. The only advice I can give is to make sure you are getting enough rest, that your blood count is OK and that you are nursing enough during the night. My midwife friend told me we are designed to feed more at night because it's natures way of keeping us and the baby inactive during the day. Cruel as it seems you produce better milk at night and feeding then stimulates more milk production than in the day. It's supposed to be why new born babies wake so often at night. It means you and mya can stay dozing in the cave while your other half goes out and kills mammoths, while you are safe and sound away from sabre tooth tigers...or something like that.
Jen well done on the 6lbs. It's brilliant news and I'm jealous. i am not weighing myself until my birthday in mid may, I'm going to try very hard (second day of that so far) and hopefully give myself a nice birthday present.
Oh and Leo has 6 teeth right out and 2 more at the bump stage...he is 9 months on May6th. I have abandoned baby food altogether, he's much happier with whatever we are eating (within reason) as as I'm generally a very healthy cook and dion't use salt he can join in. He's really into pasta...I made pesto tonight with a load of fresh basil and garic and he loved it. Very messy though.
Off for a can of diet ginger beer. yum yum.
Geneve.

Jen
04-23-2002, 08:41 PM
Geneve, now I'm jealous!!! I would give anything to give up on the baby food. drake is not taking anything more textured than puree and acts like he is going to vomit everytime I try something thicker. Oh well it will come with time.

Lara, whatever happens, don't feel guilty about breastfeeding or not breastfeeding your baby. My son wanted no part of it, he screamed and pushed away and everytime I tried to feed him it was an ordeal for both of us. Breastmilk is best of course but there are plenty of kids that have done just fine on formula. I'm a formula baby and I think I've turned out okay. Breastfeeding is something that both mom and baby need to learn how to do. It isn't something that you both should instinctively know how to do. Anyone says that has never had to do it!! Do the best you can and if it isn't working out at least you can always pump for awhile and she'll get the benefits of having the breastmilk and a mom that isn't frazzled.

Take care everyone.

geneve
04-24-2002, 12:51 PM
Jen is so right Lara. If you want to do it, persevere and it will probably be OK BUT the main thing is that you are both happy. My first son wouldn't breast feed, he was raised on formula and is perfect (OK I may be slightly biased there) Leo took to breast feeding straight off. Luckily we have the option to choose. Whatever, don't beat yourself up about it. Having done both there are adavntages with either option.
Better go, Ted has a school friend here and I can tell by the noises above they are bust trashing his room. Little :devil: s

Lara H
04-25-2002, 01:36 PM
Here's the thing. I am VERY pro-breastfeeding for the first year. I never intended to give my baby formula at all, I figured I would breast feed and then pump for when I was at work or have the baby have water from a sippy cup. Then she was in the NICU and the nurses told me I should be supplementing as my milk hadn't come in yet and she wasn't latching on very well. So they had me feed her a bottle, and since then we've had even less luck latching on -- she gets frustrated and gives up and just whimpers until I feed her a bottle.

I've been pumping every 2 - 4 hours since then. (Almost 5 weeks now.) And my milk supply is disappearing, and my breasts are so painful even wearing a bra hurts at times. Now I've found a pharmacy that will fill prescriptions for domperidone, and I just have to get my Dr to prescribe it (I'm hoping she will do it without too much hassle). So I will try taking that and see if it helps. Otherwise I'm definitely considering giving up. This whole thing is just too frustrating for both of us.

Jen... regarding the nap thing... are you giving him formula in the bottle or water? If formula maybe try giving him just a little bit of water in it instead to wean him off it. My mum had to do that with my younger sister, finally giving her the empty bottle to just rub the nipple against her cheek. (My sister got in the habbit of using the bottle to fall asleep at nap time while in the hospital just after she turned 1.)

hth
Lara

bc
04-25-2002, 02:01 PM
Well Lara, ,I suppose I too am pro breastfeeding. I nursed three kids now and didn't use any formula after the first day or two. I diligently pumped and had my husband feed the oldest a bottle, however the other two never really learned to use a bottle. I was lucky, my milk would come in and I would nurse. I also tried to do all the things I was suppose to do for it to be successful, you know making sure the baby was latched on properly, drinking liquids, nursing on demand, and centering my life on the baby.

Having said that I agree with Geneve and Jen and as long as your baby is growing and getting nutrition that is what matters most! Honestly, I think we put too much time and thought into these very early issues and later more important things come along and we have worn ourselves out with what really amounts to small stuff. If you can nurse great and it will be great for the baby and good for your bonding. If you can't don't knock yourself with guilt because believe me somewhere down the line something much larger will come up and you will need that guilt then. :smug: :)

Barb C. (who has downloaded more WW stuff onto her Palm and now feels equipped with renewed ferver in this eating healthy thing)

Lara H
04-25-2002, 09:15 PM
I haven't heard yet if my dr is going to prescribe the domperidone for me or not, I'm not sure if I even want her to at this point, I'm so confused. I want to do what's best for Mya, but at this point I'm not certain that continuing in this vein is what's best for her. She needs a Mummy who isn't frazzled and I'm feeling frazzled. Although maybe if I were actually getting more than 1/2 an ounce or so when I pump for so long I wouldn't be quite so frazzled. So I guess I just answered that question. If she will prescribe it I will try it. I don't mind pumping as long as I'm getting something for the effort and pain. Otherwise, I'll probably give up pumping so often and just slowly allow my milk to dry up.

Thanks for all the support.

Lara

Amy
04-26-2002, 01:12 AM
Don't give up Lara! It sounds like you are a wonderfully committed mom. If you have perservered for this long, then I'm sure that the medication will help and you'll soon find that milk a-flowing.

My first was not very good at latching on. I pumped every 3 hrs for the first week and fed him from a bottle. For the next 2 weeks I used a nipple shield - its like a big nipple that you put over top of your breast and it gives the baby something to latch onto (I had flat nipples). After two weeks of that and lots of visits to the lactation consultant we were able to go "natural" from there on. Ironically, when I went back to work at 6 months, ds wanted no part of the bottles!

My second and third were WAY better at getting latched on. My third (almost 8 months old now) was also in the NICU. He was an awesome awesome feeder, but he had blood sugar problems; so the nurses insisted that I supplement w/ formula while he was in the NICU. Luckily he didn't get any nipple confusion, but it sounds like that's where you ran into problems. Totally frustrating since you had no control over it.

My sister has had supply problems and found fenugreek and mother's milk tea to work wonders to help her supply. Ask your LC about these (I'm surprised she didn't mention them already?). Also, try eating real oatmeal (not instant) every morning - helps with the milk supply.

Best of luck to you. You've come so far and are probably way closer than you think to getting that baby latched on and ready to go.

Amy 237/145 (ww lifetime member since July 99)

p.s. as others have said, you should not feel guilty at all about deciding to formula feed. I just wanted to give you some ideas that might not have been given to you yet. Good luck!

Lara H
04-26-2002, 03:08 AM
I'm taking a homeopathic blend called more milk plus which is supposed to be even better than the tea, and it has fenugreek in it. Also, we've tried the nipple shield as I have rather flat nipples as well as huge breasts, but she still got really frustrated after trying for only a little while. I should try that again though, maybe with the sns feeding tube thingy it might do the trick.

I'm going to try and just go with the flow so to speak and try not to beat myself up over the whole issue any more.

Thanks again for the support and ideas, all of them are welcome.

Lara

Jen
04-26-2002, 08:41 PM
Lara - get the domperidone. I promise you that it will make a huge difference in your milk output. You'll be able to pump 4oz in 10 minutes with your electric pump. You'll have enough milk for triplets!! The downside (if you are anything like me) is that you will leak in between if you don't pump often enough and/or you might become engorged. That happened to me once and it wasn't very nice. You will definately have to pump at least every 4 hours. What I would do is the second the baby was asleep I would pump until I was empty and then go to bed until he woke up again. But something good that comes out of it, when you decide to stop pumping you stop the medication but keep pumping for a week or so but not as often. So you pump long enough to get the medication out of your system and you don't get engorged but not often enough to build up a large milk supply which probably wouldn't be a problem since like me you aren't getting much milk anyway. By the end of the week you can quit pumping and you won't get engorged. this is what I did anyway when I gave up pumping. Try and see what happens, you might not want to put in more than a couple of weeks because it is very arduous. Also thanks for the advice about the formula before bed and naptimes. I am going to start diluting the formula I give him at these times and gradually work it down to plain water. Maybe he'll give up wanting formula by then.

Anyway not much going on with me. still doing the WW thing and I think it is working well. We'll see on Monday (my weigh in days). take care all.

geneve
04-29-2002, 05:18 PM
aaarghh . flu. me , not baby yet, am trying not to breathe near him.
am going to move somewhere hot and dry.
in supreme maternal devotion mode did Leogland with ted all day sat with flu. now regretting it.
still, eating MUCH better....how many calories in Night nurse I wonder?
You all seem to be doing great. Reading this makes me want to breast feed again and I'm sure I didn't find it all that uplifting atthe time.
Really ladies, i think I'm broody. I keep putting off having the coil put in and I just know I'm waiting for the year to be up to see how I feel when I can try again. I know DH would go for another baby but I'm 37 soon and I have the post partum depression thing to worry about , and we have less money than we have for years already, and I'm sure it would be another boy anyway...so why have I just changed the skin on my PC to one with a baby on it? I must be delirious!
Anyone else hear the old biological clock ticking????:?:

bc
04-29-2002, 07:59 PM
Well Geneve if it is any consolation I was 38 when Isabelle was born. The pregnancy was fine and it was a girl (after two boys). My friends still laugh about how I was convinced I would have a boy because I was meant to have a boy....

Meanwhile I know this is all I want to have. My husband flips out with each added responsibility. I get buried in kids and kid stuff. Everyone told me the third was the one that threw them under.... hence the 6 years between number 2 and number 3.

I have recommitted to WW and am trying to follow it religiously..........well, sort of. I worked out on the Precor today for 20 minutes earning 2 points. Woo hoo! At least I did something. Sitting on my duff is getting way too easy.

I am trying to do the things I have to do to get a business license and sell my crafts. Crafts being soap, lotion, and dolls. I could spend days just researching on the computer.......these machines are either a wonderful thing or a curse.

Barb

Lara H
04-29-2002, 09:18 PM
Even with the problems we are having breastfeeding and the fact that Mya is only 5 weeks old I am already feeling the ticking of that clock! If we don't have fertility problems we won't be waiting long to have another baby...

Although finances aren't looking so great here at the moment either. :(

Lara

Jen
05-01-2002, 10:19 PM
Hi all. How is everyone doing? I'm not too bad. The DH has been working out of the house...did I tell you that he got fired? I don't think I did. This was at the beginning of April and since then he has been doing tons of consulting work and has made more money than if he was still at his old job. He has been assured of getting a job with this place, they are just waiting til they have a backlog of work that they can go to the owner and say, "we need to hire someone now!" then he'll have the job. They do need someone, obviously or he wouldn't be getting all this consulting work. So he's on the computer all day and I never get the chance to get on.

Anyway things are okay. I lost another 2.6lbs last week which really surprised me because this is my TOM and I usually retain water like mad. Been exercising fairly regularly too, still need to work harder on drinking more water.

I DO NOT feel the biological clock ticking. I did have a very passing thought about 2 weeks ago about having another. There is this commercial with 2 little boys and Oreo cookies that makes me want to give Drake a little brother or sister.

bc - how is the WW going? What point range are you at? I am 24 -31 and try to aim for the low end but the past week I've been more in the 29-30's though today I managed 25. Do you try to eat a lot of low point things so you can eat a lot of food or do you eat 'normal' food but just eat less of it?

geneve - hope your flu is better and Leo didn't catch it. Drake hasn't been sick yet, knock on wood. Moving someplace warm sounds nice but I'd like someplace that is just warm, not hot and humid, that's nasty.

lara - how is the pumping going? did you get that med?

geneve
05-02-2002, 04:41 PM
PANTS.
Spent ages on a reply...so long i got logged off the net. Am going off in a huff!!!
Love to all.
Geneve:devil:

Jen
05-06-2002, 08:34 PM
Hi all. Sorry your post got booted Geneve, that has happened to me and it is such a pain. It's okay, we love you anyway!

Lost 2.4lbs last week for a total of 12 lbs over 3 weeks. It is the most I have ever lost. I'm so loving Weight Watchers right now.

Drake is doing well, his top 2 teeth are coming in but he is handling it well. Slept through the night last night which was wonderful. Lately he's been waking up around 4:30 but after a bit of formula he'll go back for a couple of hours. I felt bad about having to use a bottle to get him to sleep but now I am okay with it. It's not the end of the world and right now it is more important that we are both happy and healthy and if that means a bottle at bedtime then that's what it means. I think he will eventually outgrow it when his teething let's up.

How is everyone doing? Hope those babies aren't giving you grief!

geneve
05-10-2002, 02:32 AM
Jen...BIG BIG well done to you!!:D :D
12lbs is lots, you must be feeling great.
Sorry I haven't posted for a while, still feeling a bit poorly, and the kids are driving me mad, so i'm feeling a bit sorry for myself. Leo wants to be walked round the house (you know, where you hold his hands and your back feels like it's breaking...wish he was a bit taller or I was a bit shorter) Ted is being all jealous now Leo can do more and is getting 9sorry demanding) more attention, and so I am torn. Poor old Andy doen't get a look in beacuse by the time the kids are in bed I'm shattered. leo has also started getting up earlier.
My weight is still inching down slowly, less than a pound a week but as it's going in the right direction I'm not complaining. I'm trying hard not to eat in the evenings, and still exercising. I know you guys don't have it, but I'm approaching a 'stone' (14lbs) barrier, for some reason whenever I get there I start to put on weight again. My shrink told me I am a 'self sabotager' due to my upbringing I stop myself from suceeding whenvever I feel i am getting close. It's enormously frustrating, I do it in everything, but most notably with my weight and my career, every time I win an award or sell some work I find I can't work until I feel useless again. It's like PMT, you know you are doing it, but you just can't stop yourself.
Oh well, Leo is crying (as per usual) Ted won't get out of bed, sounds lik tyhey are playing my tune.
Ladies, have a good day,
gen

bc
05-10-2002, 09:48 AM
Glad everyone is still around. I think spring has hit and the good (well, better) weather with it. I am getting isabelle out for walks more often. I am also finally learning her schedule. In the morning she wakes up and basically eats and then goes back to bed..... well she causes some trouble in the middle of that, but still she goes back to bed. She sleeps for a few hours (while I am on my big butt on the computer) and then wakes again. I feed her and and then after a few hours she needs to sleep again. This time for a shorter nap. This usually falls into the time when the boys get home from school. Of course on weekends this schedule is thrown up into the air. :dizzy:

I am trying to be good and follow the WW, however I haven't been recording my food down this week and I find that is often the key. I have to remain more than conscious of what I eat.

I have been going on more walks.......but not power walks.

I have been busy getting soaps and lotions ready for the possibility of selling. I still have to apply for the farmers market.......

I am glad everyone is doing well. Jen your weight loss is amazing! I am not weighing myself so I have no idea. I just know my "I will never wear these again -fat pants" are fitting a bit too well. :( They aren't tight, just comfortably loose.

Barb

geneve
05-12-2002, 04:38 PM
Hi everyone. Well spring is certainly here, my beautiful garden is busting with life, birds singing and Leo crawling about eating the dasies.
Big day approaching....my birthday on Saturday, my Mothers friday and leo's christening Sunday with big party. I was hoping I'd have lost a stone which won't happen without a miracle, but somewhere between 7&9lbs is a distinct possibility. I'm hoping to go to the gym at least 4 times this week...and swim. I got my old leather trousers out to try on...when I can get them on again I will consider myself slim. I can almost get them over my thighs, which may sound awful but it is better than before!
Leo is driving me nuts. he wants constant attention and cries if he doesn't get it. Some days it seems like he never stops. He wants to be walked round the house, and then if you won't let him climb the stairs or investigate the dishwasher he cries.
He wakes up any time after 5.30, I have to try and keep him awake until 8.15 when we leave for the school bus run. He then sleeps for somewhere between 30 mintes and an hour. In th afternoon he'll sleep fpr about an hour again at around 1.00 and then for some reason he needs about 15minutes at about 4.30. I wish he would sleep longer in the day, he's frequently tired and emotional, but I think the pain from his teeth wakes him up early. He has 8 now and the back ones are on the way with no respite.
I could get very down about being a mummy at he moment. I wish I had more friends within walking distance, mine are all far away enough to make a visiti a day long thing, or they work.
I have a sweet christening outfit for him...white linen romper with beige embroidered butterflies on the yoke (will show off his darling chubby dimply legs) and little white leather shoes with bows! Closest I'll ever get to buying a dress!
Not sure what I will be wearing, i'm not buying anything new until I can enjoy buying what I want to rather than what fits!
A local shop has agreed to display and sell my childrens portraits. Will let you know how it goes Barb...we could be a pair of home tycoons!
Night night everyone!
Geneve

bc
05-12-2002, 10:29 PM
Geneve, anything to make a buck......;) :lol: ;)

Hope you have a wonderful birthday!

Barb

Jen
05-14-2002, 06:54 PM
So how was Mother's Day Barb? geneve, do they have Mother's Day in GB?

Mine was okay except that when my hubby called his mother she gave him attitude about us not driving down to visit them then today I got a card with this cheap heart pin from her and a note saying that she would have given this to me on Sunday except that we didn't come down to visit but she wanted me to have it anyway. Both of us were right po'd. Why is it that we have to be the ones to drive around everywhere? They have 2 cars and as much free time as we do, they certainly are capable of getting in the car and driving 45 minutes to visit us.

makes me so mad :mad: :mad: :mad:

anyway...I gained back .2 lbs this past week, I know why though. Not enough water and too much snacking. I'm going to do better this week though.

How is everyone's little darlings? drake has both top teeth in now. He is still having problems with anything thicker than pureed baby food though he has been able to get down the odd Cheerio. he is actually taking naps longer than 30 minutes, today he had a 2 hour nap in the am and 1 hour this afternoon. I was extremely pleased. almost didn't know what to do with myself!

well take care all, enjoy your week.

geneve
05-17-2002, 09:04 AM
Hi Jen, hope you're wearing that pin:lol:
Yes, we do have Mothers day here, but ours is in March sometime.
I'm still inching downwards slowly but have been pleawsed this week as a few people have commented on my reduced size.
Leo is utterly miserable. he has a cold which is stopping him sleeping as much as he wants to so he's waking up at maybe 5.30 in the morning then getting through the day on one or two hours of sleep taken in cat naps. It's horrible. DH has the day off work today so for once I am not holding him walking round.It's his christening Sunday...almost 70 people here to watch him grizzle, I wish I had the guts to cancel it!
The local kids wear shop offered to sell my drawings (you know the type of thig, pastels of children from photos) for me. The woman who owns the shop loves them, and the cafe next door to her have taken two to hang on their walls as well. I just hope I get a few orders in, it would make a lot of difference to things here.
Anyway, i feel I should go and help with Leo who is very, very unhappy.
You'll lose it all again next week Jen, just keep on keeping on...I figure it will take me as long to lose it as it did to put it all on.
Geneve

Lara H
05-17-2002, 07:23 PM
Well, here I am...
First off let me wish every one a late happy mothers day.

geneve, that is great about the store and cafe selling your pictures. I hope you get as many orders as you can handle. I'm sorry that Leo is feeling so icky... doesn't that always happen for special occasions? I hope he feels better soon.

Jen, I agree with you... you'd think that as you are the ones who would have to cart along a baby and all the assorted paraphernalia that goes with one they could have made the 45 minute drive. Of course... you could be like me and have you mil living in your house with you... which isn't all bad. :^:

Barb, I hope that everything is going well in your business endeavours too. I tried to make homemade lotions once and did a better job of making a mess of my kitchen than anything else. Although I do still use the Unpetroleum jelly I made. although it didn't exactly turn out the consistency of vaseline... good luck to you, I wish you lived closer, I'd definitely buy handcrafted lotions.

I got the domperidone last thursday so I've now been on it for a week. It has about doubled my milk supply so far, maybe even tripled it. :D however I somehow cut my right nipple so I'm tossing out half the milk cause it's bloody and upsets her tummy. She's still not latching on consistantly, but every so often she does. I'm not sure how much she is actually getting those times though because it's always much shorter between feedings after those sessions. The good thing though is that with the increased breast milk she is no longer as constipated, and we have been able to stop the dark Karo syrup in water which was making her projectile all over the place as a side effect.

My middle sister was here for a week, and we had a fabulous visit which is surprising as we don't always get along very well. I guess having the baby to dote on changes the dynamic a lot. I told her the only thing I had to do the entire week was get my hair done. So she made an appt at a much more upscale place than I usually go to and she paid for the whole thing! She said it was a Mothers day present from Mya. I am now a red head with "FUN" (her word) blond streaks. I really like the cut (much shorter and I'm sure after I get used to it easier) and the color so I will be saving my pennies to go back there to keep it up... minus the streaks probably... I think they are just a little too "FUN" for me. Brad likes it too which is an added bonus as usually if I ask him anything about my hair he either sort of shrugs and says whatever or tells me I should just shave it all off and then laughs. What's that all about I ask you? :lol:

Mya had her 8 week healthy child check up today and had her 4 shots... they really upset her. She is sleeping fitfully right now, and keeps crying in her sleep. :( I feel so badly, but I know I'd feel ever so much worse if I didn't have her immunized and she caught one of the diseases. Otherwise she is doing well... has gained exactly 2# since birth which puts her at 10 pounds 8 ounces, she is 23 1/2 inches long... up 2 1/2 inches, and now has a 16 inch head also up 2 1/2 inches. puts her in the 50th percentile in weight and 90th in length.

so there's my book... but I think it catches you all up on what's been happening for me...

Lara

Jen
05-18-2002, 11:53 AM
Lara - I'm so glad the domperidone is working for you. I'll bet things are a lot easier now that you've got milk coming out the wazoo. I think your hair sounds great and I would keep the blond streaks. I recently went 'red' too and I"m thinking I might want to try some blond streaks of my own!

Geneve - hope your event goes well tomorrow, I'm sure it will be fine even though 70 people sounds a bit overwhelming. congrats on finding someplace to sell your pics. I hope you make a ton of $. How is Leo's cold?

Not much new with me. Drake is now munching on crackers so I'm hopeful that we might get past the pureed food someday. He is taking longer naps during the day which has been really great. I"m finally getting some stuff done around the house.

Take care all, have a nice weekend.

Lara H
05-18-2002, 04:13 PM
LOL I wouldn't exactly say "milk coming out the wazoo" You have to remember that I was only geting about 3/4 ounce combined before... now I get at least 1 1/2 sometimes as much as 2 1/2 - just under 3. I'd like to be getting more, so I'm trying to pump every 3 hours instead of every four. We'll see if that works. Mya still does not like to latch on consistently, and the domperidone is over $110 (!!!!) for a 30 day supply, so I'm not sure we will be continuing after this month. but atleast she will have had as much breast milk as I could provide her for 3 full months. It's the best I could do for her and I'll have to be happy with that.

geneve, I hope the christening goes well. My church has a baby dedication each easter Sunday and since we missed it this year Mya will have to wait until next year. I can't imagine having 70 people descend on my home though -- good luck to you!

Lara

Jen
05-18-2002, 06:44 PM
Yikes!! I can't imagine having to pay that much for domperidone. I can't remember how much mine was but it sure wasn't that much. I don't think it was more than about $20 and our insurance covers prescriptions anyway. Still I think 3 months worth of breast milk is pretty good. You did your best, that's nothing to feel bad about. I was a formula raised baby, most of our generation probably was too and I think we turned out okay.

Lara H
05-18-2002, 07:12 PM
It's not covered at all by our insurance. And there was only one pharmacy in the entire area that would fill the prescription and of all places it was the hospital pharmacy in Sun City West--the retiree community!! Of course after the viagra incidents out there maybe they need it! :o I had to have it fedexed from them to me or drive the hour and 20 minutes each way!

Jen
05-19-2002, 10:58 AM
Domperidone is also used as a stomach medication, it assists with speeding up digestion in a way. It is just a happy side effect that it also assists with let down in lactating women. We give it a lot at the hospital especially to patients that have feeding tubes. Just FYI.

geneve
05-20-2002, 07:06 AM
Do you know, sometimes I quit moaning about this country and think how lucky I am. All medicines for kids are free until the age of 16, and you get a years free medicine and dentistry each time you have a baby. I'm having all my fillings re-done! After that you only pay a fixed amount for a prescription, about 5, I think, no matter what the cost of the drugs. I'm shocked to think of you having to spend all that money! Still, you know you have done the best for Mya, and yourself. I struggled with expressing for 3 months with Ted, then I stopped. If I rememebr correctly the first 12 weeks is supposed to be the most important time.
I was breast fed, but at the time my Mother smoked, so I'm not sure if I'm glad or not!!
The christening...well, we all got to the church, only to foind out the priest had forgtte. I kid you not. Then he had the cheek to say I must have got the date wrong as they never do in service christenings at pentecost! As if I'm supposed to know that! In the end we all had to sit through the mass (and my in-laws were late) then wait for him to get ready for a rushed baptism at the end. By this time he was howling with tiredness and hunger and it was just awful i wish i'd had the guts to walk out. By the time we got home some of the non church guests had arrived and were wondering where we were...
In the end I just got hammeringly drunk, something I haven't done for ages. It was that or cry. BUT the party was great. i have a pale green carpet covered in red wine, which I'm not too thrilled about, but no other mishaps, and a chance to catch up with my family and friends. And the sun shone, so the kids bounced round on the hired bouncy castle all day long.
As i wirte I'm very sleepy and my head hurts! Oh well, i should know better at me age!
And obviously the diet didn't happen!
Sending you all a piece of totally calorie free virtual christening cake!
Geneve:hb:

Jen
05-26-2002, 08:04 PM
Geneve - you poor thing, and poor Leo! What rotten luck the priest forgetting Leo's christening. It sounds like quite the day. Well it is over and done with now. Did that red wine come out of your carpet?

Only lost 0.8 lbs at my weigh in on Friday. Was very depressed by that and ate myself silly but recovered on Saturday and have been okay today as well. I think I let my exercise slack off a bit and I've just been getting Drake to eat crackers so I usually eat a few to keep him company. I know crackers are not super high in calories but still I'm sure I don't need them.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend. Take care.

Jen
06-03-2002, 10:05 AM
halloooooo, hotties, anyone out there except me????

bc
06-03-2002, 11:02 AM
I am here too Jen! I haven't been posting as much because there just isn't the time, nor anything new. I know I am pretty pathetic ;)

Anyway I am glad you are here adn the thread hasn't moved. I have it set so I get e-mail notification if anyone answers this thread. This makes it foolproff that I keep caught up.

Today is Monday and I am off to a new start. I want to document everything I eat this week........I hope I keep to it! So far on this Monday morning I have just eaten a Go Lean bar and black coffee. I switched from coffee with cream to black because I figure I can cut some calories out there....however instead of 'breakfast in a cup' which is what I call my coffee with cream, I had a growling stomach. I guess I need to make sure I have food to eat too if I cut that cream out.

The weather has been great here, sunny but not hot. I am just itching to get out to work in the garden but I don't know how I will do that with the darling outside too. Maybe her big brothers will entertain her this afternoon. The garden seems to be the thing to go when I have inside things to do.

I still dont' know if I will be selling soaps, lotions and dolls at the farmers market.........hopefully I will hear about a jury appointment this week.

Isabelle is now a year old. She is such a sweetie. She was tickling me earlier today. She just loved to get a reaction from me. I had to fake it because those tiny hands are just not capable of tickling ........they are just too cute. It was fun to see her dissolve into fits of laughter over my giggles.

Today my boys (who a few months ago explained to me that French Kissing was when you kiss with your lips open) were telling me about French Kissing. They were pretty graphic and I think they are losing some of their innocense judging from their comments. :( I guess they were bound to learn these things. I was surprised to see they both had the same story so I guess they had already talked about it between themselves. Proof that they have a life seperate from me, and actually discuss things without me. I guess it is all part of negotiating the world and all of it's complexities. They really are sweet.

Ok back to other stuff!

Barb

geneve
06-03-2002, 11:57 AM
Hi Jen, sorry! I though tI was th e last to post and have been kind of meaning to look for ages!
I'll blame it on teething...that's my excuse for everything these days!
Hows life??
Geneve

Lara H
06-04-2002, 12:49 AM
I'm here... totally stressed about starting back to work but even more stressed about the lack of a paycheck...

Tomorrow, (Tuesday) I start back... only 1 day this week thankfully, but I will be separated from Mya for the longest time since she was born... even when she was in the NICU I didn't stay away more than 2 1/2 hours at a time since I was trying to breastfeed her. Tomorrow will be at least 5 hours. Poor Brad... he's going to be staying with her while I work since he can go in later to work, and I've got little instruction notes stuck all over the place... and reminder notes too. I think I'm obsessing. I know he is great with her, but I've always been here to take over. Now I'll be a 1/2 hour drive away should I be needed.

I'm so stressed. :(

Lara

geneve
06-04-2002, 04:26 AM
You have my total sympathy Lara. I treid to go back after having ted and it was awful. My job entailed long hours and lots of travel and even part time it was far too much. I used to be worried about him all the time, and I found my priorities had totally changed. I found it hard to get fired up about work stuff, I had made the jump from being responsible for someones budget to being responsible for someones life. I finished after about 6 months, and although I miss being able to spend time in the company of adults, and I miss the status I had (Mother apparently have none) and I hate having less money, I am glad when I saw the difference on the faces of the kids being picked up from school by their child minders and the look they had when Mum or Dad was there.
You will know what is the right thing to do. We were lucky in that with tighteniong the belt a few notches we can just about manage without me working, I know many simply don't have that choice.
Must go, Ted tells me the cat has found a frog in the garden. This is the bit where I pretend I don't find frogs leaping about even mildly disturbing!!! Last year the cat brought one in and I have to try and get it out from under the cooker! They scream if the cat actually gets it's paws on them and it sounds a lot like a baby crying...gviven me a few nasty turns before.
It's jubilee bank holiday here a 4 day weekend...did you get an extra day Jen?
Geneve:dizzy:

Jen
06-04-2002, 11:17 AM
Hallo all.

Lara, I know exactly what you mean. I'll be going back in 3 months full time and it is freaking me out already. I haven't been away from Drake for more than about 1 1/2 hours since he was born. I'm sure it will be far worse for me than for him. My mom is coming up at the end of the month to look after him while dh and I go out for an evening with friends. I'm sure I'll feel a lot of anxiety the whole time.

Geneve, no we don't get any time off because of the Queen's jubilee even though we are still in the Commonwealth. We've had lots of tv coverage though of all the events.

Drake is doing well. He is teething on and off. I can tell when something is going on because he'll wake up around 4:30 every morning. When there is no teething he sleeps through the night. This morning he didn't want to go back into his crib so I sat in his room with him dozing on my chest. Luckily I did get him back in the crib after about 30 minutes and he slept for another 2 hours which was great.

WW is not going well. the past 2 weeks I have lost 0.8 and 0.4 lbs. It is $15 each week for that bit of information. I don't think I am going to go anymore. I will stick to the plan but just weigh in at home. I mean 0.4 lbs could have been because I wore shorts instead of pants and I was wearing no socks and sandals. So I think I have given them enough money already. actually I had decided even before I signed up that I would only go for a couple of months. I have already spent enough money over the years on trying to lose weight so I"m not going to spent a whole lot more. I still can do the plan without going in for weigh ins.

Take care all.

bc
06-04-2002, 01:56 PM
Jen, If it is any consolation I think the meeting rates are about the same in the USA, so if you consider the exchange rate you are getting what a 40% discount? ;) :) ;) Does that make you feel better?

Also a loss is much better than a gain, so congrats!

Barb

Jen
06-05-2002, 02:16 PM
Well I still think my 0.4 lbs loss was because I was wearing shorts, no socks and sandals for my weigh-in. Yes it does make me feel a tiny bit better that I am paying less than in the US. Usually it is the other way around!

Drake's got more teeth coming in, these new ones will bring it up to 8 teeth. I figured something was going on as he has been cranky the past couple of days. he still isn't tolerating anything thicker than puree, I'm starting to despair that he'll ever eat table food. I know he will but it seems like such an uphill battle. He still isn't sitting up well by himself. He can go for a few seconds then he starts toppling over. He doesn't like sitting very much anyway. When I go to sit him up he'll straighten out his legs so he sort of slides forward, then I have to stand him up and start all over again. He's a sneaky little thing for 8 1/2 months old!

Take care.

geneve
06-06-2002, 04:12 AM
Hi everyone...how's it going?
I must make more of an effort with my diet. Sometimes I feel like such a fraud posting here when I yo yo so much, and it irks me that I still weigh aboutt he same, although I guess with the exercise I'm a bit slimmer.
Yesterday was teeth day from ****. I had about 4 hours sleep and then Leo cried on and off all day...I was supposed to be going out with a group of about 8 friends I used to work with for a curry, and I made a huge effort to get there in the rain...and initially I was quite upset as one of the women had brought her other half (breaking the golden no partners rule which has ensured happy times for several years)..and I've met him before and I HATE him, he's so sexist and stupid and really foul mouthed. He got really drunk and was his usual charming self, I felt so sorry for her, she's a smart and beautiful girl and I can't imagine why she puts up with him. He called me 'just a housewife' ,,,,ggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
:mad: :mad:
Anyway, it all ended well and I got a chance to talk about some of the things I miss talking about. In a way I wish I could go back. BUT there's no way I could manage the hours so no point dreaming.
Jen, Leo really isn't eating much at all, and he's looking much thinner. It's all down to the teeth and the related pain when they eat. Leo's diet is shocking at the moment..almost as bad as mine!
The bit where they start doing things is very much leaps and plateaus (well, it was with Ted anyway, and Leo seems the same) usually about the time you get frustrated they decide to do something. You'll be putting away all the breakables before you know it!!
Enjoy the day...
Geneve

bc
06-06-2002, 09:34 AM
Geneve, I know what you mean about feeling like a fraud. I feel that way too sometimes, however I think this is still much more than a weight loss thread (or discussion) we end up supporting each other with kids, diet, exercise, and life. I tell myself that and I still feel like a fraud, but you know what? I have absolutely no desire to stop posting, nor stop reading the posts here. When someone posts I quickly read it and enjoy it -even if I don't always respond. :smug:

Knowing you, I bet you had some smart response to him. I think men in general, and expecially people who don't have any children, are clueless to what being home with kids entails. I was reading that to pay someone to do the jobs a mom does in a day it would cost more than $100,000 a year. I think if you see him again and he makes a statement like saying you are just a housewife, you should kindly offer him a day in your shoes. I think that would cure him.

It makes me angry when people make statements like that because those same people will be the first to complain about their lives when they do have children. Years ago my sister made a statement about me not having any money because I don't work (as in John's money is his and I don't work so I shouldn't have any). I THINK she sees it differently now, still what a mother does is considered free work while everyone elses labor gets rewarded with $$$

I know sometimes I get down on myself and think I don't have any work options, but I know I worked before I had kids. I also know I have an education and a post graduate degree. I AM able to work and to earn as much as my husband (well nearly) but we decided I would stay home. It makes me angry when people assume if you are home with kids you had no other options! :mad:

It looks like I will not be selling at the farmers market. At least not unless they change their policies. They do not allow lotions to be sold at the market atall and the woman said they already have enough soap makers. (actually I am not so sure why she thinks they have too many, they have one major soap maker and a at least one or two who incidentally have some soap in their booths. She told me there were four already -I haven't seen that.) Anyway I know my dolls would be fine, but I really don't want to sell only dolls. I don't think I would be able to make enough to make the daily payments, much less a profit. She tells me they have been talking about having a seperate group for cosmetic and toiletries and if they start that I might be able to sell them then. So instead of having them Jury my crafts, I decided to wait and see what happens. Meanwhile I have spend gobs and gobs of money on supplies and packaging (bottles and jars) and if I don't sell this stuff I am in a bad way. So I am exploring other avenues of selling. I might put up a website. I might also do some craft sales in the Fall. I have also though of having an open house and selling then. Something will happen and hopefully it will work out.

I am bummed because a lot of time went into making these soaps and toiletries look really good. I know they look more polished than the one's at the market now, and I think they would do well......... Grrrrrrr

Now about baby teeth! Isabelle was late to get them to begin with and I suppose she is late to get the following one's too. She still has only 6 teeth and she is a year old now. I guess she is just taking her sweet time with it. That is ok because she still eats everything, even if it does come out in chunks. :lol:

Working with kids, I think I have said how I feel. As long as you have good child care I think the kids do fine (mothers might not) because I think there is usually someone who bonds with the kids and nurtures them, as you would. I think manytimes we get caught up thinking kids need their mom when what they really need is someone who cares for them. We also need to support women who decided to stay home and those who decide to go to work -either one works!

I also think they need a parent home more important when they are middle school and high school. The teen years are tough and someone watching over them and guiding them is IMNHO more important. However this is also the time when mothers who were home go back to work, and when we let the kids handle more responsibility and be home on their own. I think kids feel a bit more secure knowing someone cares and is keeping an eye on them.

Ok my book is finished! ;)

Barb

geneve
06-07-2002, 04:33 AM
Hi again,
As always interesting to hear your comments Barb, and I agree about the site...I see posting here as a way of meeting the kind of Mothers who I can't seem to find elsewhere ( iMYhom normal lol).
Leo is a nightmare. As I write am pushing him in the pram with one hand to stop the screaming outburts.He is too tired to do anything and too poorly to sleep.I feel very sorry for Ted, his half term holiday hasn't been much fun.
At least this has helped me on the 'next baby' debate, although I did have a bit of a pang when Rachel had hers on Friends last night! I had a new IUD in yesterday which releases progesterone...my sweet Doctor says it will make my periods lighter, which will be great.nderactive but not enough to do anything about, and she did say (whilst putting the thing in) that I seemed very fit apart from 'a bit of extra weight' (yeah,like 50lbs!!!).
Sounds like your market is a touch over organised...I thought you were in THE capitalist country, so why can't you sell and compete? Very odd.
As yet I have no paintings.....the shop owner says she has had dozens of enquiries and people saying they will bring in a photo, but as yet no-one has.
Still keeping myself going with coffee and biscuits I'm afraid....
Oh well, I suppose it could be vodka and pills!
Must go,I need to change arms.
How about in a few weeks we three have a bash at a small weight loss goal...we could all use the WW plan or something?
Please feel free to refuse!
Geneve :wave:

Jen
06-07-2002, 09:13 AM
Hi all.

Lara - sorry to hear about your soap selling frustrations. I hope you are able to figure something out. How about flea markets or yard sales?

Geneve - poor Leo! Thank goodness Drake is not having that much pain with his teeth, once they break through he seems okay, actually slept through last night.

I actually lost a couple of lbs this week though I ate terribly yesterday. Things are starting to look a little grim financially since the dh hasn't been paid by the company he is doing contract work for. They are behind in everyone's pay except of course the salaried workers. I mean the contractors and suppliers are not getting paid which makes no sense to me at all. I think at this point they owe him at least $2000 which would help things out a lot. If he doesn't get it soon I don't know what we will do. The daycare called and asked if I wanted to start Drake going in July as they may have an opening and I said no but I may call back and see if it is still available. I might have to go back to work if dh doesn't start getting some regular $.

I've been working around the house a lot, finally getting things decorated and arranged the way I've been wanting to for awhile but just never had the time.

I'm up for some sort of exercise/diet challenge. I'm not going to WW anymore, frankly I don't want to spend the $ as at this point I think I can put my $15 to better use. I'm still following the points plan though (well not yesterday and the day before that I overshot my range by about 20 points, darn cheeseburgers!!).

Well must go, drake is starting to fuss. Take care all.

geneve
06-07-2002, 10:42 AM
Yeah, I know...two posts in one day...has the screaming baby finally driven her mad? NO...but England won the football. The country has erupted, DH let out of work 30 mins early, parents have offered to have ted for the night so he can watch the replay uninterrupted (how sick is that when I have been here with the screaming teether all day) and I may, at last get an early night.
Beer and skittles all round.
:smug: :D

Jen
06-07-2002, 08:46 PM
Well I'm glad to hear that England won a game, Canada doesn't even have a team in the World Cup. That's okay, we kicked butt in the Olympics in hockey so I'm not going to go nuts over soccer. Still there are a lot of people wear I live who are nuts about it. We have a lot of Italians in this city so you see a lot of Italian flags, also Brazil too though I don't know if they are Brazilians or just like the team. Hope you have a peaceful night away from screaming baby.

I'm feeling a bit blue. I haven't had the car all day, the dh took it because his truck is in the shop, so I feel like I"ve been cooped up all day with Drake. As much as I love him I like to get out and get some adult conversation once in awhile. We did go out for a walk but there was some shopping I wanted to do. Well dh rolled in around 8pm, just as I was putting Drake to bed with my car and his buddy has fixed the truck and is going to drive him back to get it then they are going out to eat. Well hey what about me? The past two nights my dinner has consisted of crackers and Cheez Wiz and an ice cream bar. So healthy eh? They were working on the truck last night as well. After he left I had a bit of a crying jag but I'm over it now. Drake has been so good today, I really can't complain about him. It just seems this time of the year dh gets busy with his friends and I'm at home a lot. Especially now with the baby and not being at work, I'm starting to feel a bit isolated. I'm okay though, just needed a bit of a moan.

Hope everyone has a nice weekend, take care.

jlrose
06-07-2002, 10:59 PM
I was browsing the forums and came across this one. I'm 2 years and 2 months post-partum, does that count? :lol:
I wanted to post because I'm also a soapmaker and saw Barb's post on her farmer's market experience. I will be at my first market this Sunday. Hopefully it will go well.
I'm a SAHM of 2 boys (4 and 2). Just started WW (kind of) and have been going to the gym regularly for the last 6 weeks. Lost 6# so far. I have a lot to lose from 2 pregnancies and a total thyroidectomy this January.

Jessica

geneve
06-08-2002, 09:02 AM
Hi everyone, hi Jessica and welcome. Of course you can join us...I have a 4 year old and a 10 onth old, who I blame for my weight, but really we use this site to post about all kinds of stuff. A thyroidectomy sounds awful....I've never heard of it before? How does it affect you?
Jen, so sorry for you, you are having a rough time of it aren't you? Sometimes I struggle to believe how easy the men have it, and how quickly our needs get put on the back burner. We bought a new (to us) car today, to replace my poor old VW Polo. I am insisting it's in my name, I know it's pathetic but I need to cling on to every little bit of status I can.....it's like if I don't keep on saying 'I'm here too' I might just disappear. When I was a kid, my older brother and i used to row over stuff, and when I complained about anything he'd say 'It doesn't matter, it's only you' which I think sums up the way they see us......
I hear Ted howling, which means I must go and tend to it.
Hang on in there girls...
Geneve

bc
06-08-2002, 01:07 PM
Welcome Jessica!

Did you have to have your thyroid surgicully removed?

Jen, when I read your post I wanted to post that it only gets worse...........but I didn't have a heart. My suggestion is to talk through these things completely and work something out now because you still have a lot of years with a child who needs supervision. I think even the most enlightened man doesn't think of what the mom is doing.

I find I register a vehicle in both of our names, while my husband will use only his. The kicker is we each have different last names so it does take a bit of work to do. I also open bank account in both of our names. It is simply a mans world out there.

Barb

jlrose
06-08-2002, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the welcome. :wave:
My doctor found a small lump on my thyroid and after a needle biopsy it was determined that it would have to be surgically removed to figure out what it was. It turned out to be benign but while they were operating they found a small bit of cancerous tissue on my thyroid. So they had to remove it completely. It's not as serious as it sounds. I'm perfectly healthy now. I just need to take thyroid hormone for the rest of my life since I no longer produce it. I did put on 14 pounds between the surgery and my follow up treatment. I was off of my hormone replacement for three and a half weeks and had absolutely no energy. My husband took off from work to take care fo the kids for me. I'm back on my medication and we're still fine-tuning it. I feel 100% better than I did after surgery. :)

Barb-I'd love to hear more about your soapmaking!

bc
06-09-2002, 12:16 AM
Jessica, I can talk soapmaking until everyone has closed their eyes and succumed to sleep, I will welcome the chance to talk to another soap maker! How was your first farmers market? I am envious because I think if I lived in a different area I too would have been selling this weekend. :( that is ok though. E-mail me privately if you want to talk soap (it will save the other moms :)

I too take thyroid replacement drugs (what do we call these?) because my thyroid is underactive. I have a couple of friends who also take them, some because they had to get them removed and others becasue they have an underactive thyroid. I never know if my lack of initiative is just being lazy or thyroid related. I guess I am more apt to go for the former..........but I would love to blame the later.

Had my bookclub at my house today. It was nice to sit with a group of women talking. I do have an issue with one of the husbands (only in my mind) he wants to join us, but I really like the group of WOMEN. I don't think he is particularly a reader as much as he likes the company of us all. :s:

Barb
e-mail bubwa@yahoo.com

geneve
06-09-2002, 02:45 AM
I'd be happy to talk soap,books...anything in fact. But top vote goes to *****ing about the men in my life :lol: :lol: !
Can you guys make olive oil soap? My friend bought me a big block on my birthday and it's fantastic.
I don't think it's possible to register a car in joint names here.
About the proposed diet thing...I was wondering if we might all take a look at the recipes pages here and try cooking them together...you know to make it a bit more interesting. I'm an OK cook, not great at baking cakes etc, love spicy food but would be willing to try anything (apart from offal). And besides it would be interesting to see if we all lose weight eating the same things.Can I interest you in trying it? I'm off for a weeks holiday soon, which might put a spanner in the works, but if you guys siggest recipes I could put together some kind of plan using the WW CD I have. We could do points or calorie counting and those of us who need more points could add extra bits.
Happy Sundays......
Geneve

bc
06-09-2002, 02:42 PM
Geneve, Olive oil soap is pretty easy. You just use olive oil for the oils. I usually add some coconut or castor oil to make a better lather. It is commenly called Castile soap. It is very nice and a gentle soap.

I am thinking about the eating/cooking plan. I woudnt' mind trying out some different recipes, however my kids and husband are picky so I might find myself cooking two meals. I am also not very good at following menu plans. That is one thing I always liked about WW I could make my own plan as long as I kept track.

My biggest stumbling block right now is not documenting my food intake and NOT using my Precor! I need to use them as goals.

Barb

Lara H
06-10-2002, 12:29 AM
Barb, sorry to hear about your misfortune with the farmers market organizer. Sounds like maybe the other soap seller has some sort of in with her.

Jen, I could really relate to your post, I've had my car, but Brad works really long hours and is gone a LOT. And then he calls and tells me he's going out with the guys from the office and I just want to say what am I chopped liver? Not that I begrudge him guy time... I just wish he were home more.

I love being home with Mya, and wish that I didn't have to go back to work, but I do wish that Brad and I could spend more time together or that I could get out to talk to another adult. Also we just have too many bills for us to be a one income family at the moment -- maybe after baby #2 we will have a handle on things and Brad's salary will be back up so we won't need mine. Oh well. At least work will give me some adult time... even if I will be surrounded by rugrats (I teach preschool/kindergarten combo class).

Lara

Lara H
06-10-2002, 06:56 AM
Well, Mya started trying to sit up last weekend, she almost has it down this weekend. she's just not quite steady on the side to side bit but she's getting there. Between that and trying to crawl (she gets her feet under her and then pushes her face along the floor/bed/couch cushion etc) she really wears herself out... to the point that my daughter who hasn't slept more than 45 minutes during the day has slept all but a few hours of the day the last couple of days. And slept through most of the night too. When she's awake she's happy and alert and doesn't want to even recline at all. She's consistantly holding up her head the entire time and it doesn't even do that little bobble thing anymore unless she's fighting sleep. I think by some time next week I'll have a mobile baby. I give her about 10 days til she gets the crawling down. She's growing so fast!

Lara

Jen
06-10-2002, 09:58 AM
Lara - wow, sounds like Mya is doing so well!! How old is she? I think Drake is behind her and I think he's older. Oh well, all babies develop at different rates. He is almost sitting up by himself. He'll sit up for awhile and then topple over and not be able to get himself back up. I though too that he would be crawling at any time but he just can't seem to figure out how to get his knees underneath him and his bum in the air. Actually it is okay as I am sure that once he is crawling all over and getting into everything that I'll wish he was still stationary. I have a feeling he'll be one of these babies who walks before they crawl.

jlrose
06-10-2002, 03:51 PM
The market went pretty well. I gave myself a low goal and came in way over it. I was directly across from some other guys selling soap.
Geneve, I make an unscented 100% calendula-infused olive oil soap. I make it mostly for babies or people with sensitive skin.

Just for fun today I started counting points to see how much my 2 year was eating. So far today...11 points! (Me=6) He weighs 32 pounds, I don't know where he puts it but he is, as they say on the Simpsons, "a remorseless eating machine."

Lara H
06-10-2002, 11:51 PM
Mya was 11 weeks on Friday. She still topples a lot when she sits unassisted, but can sit pretty well in her "boppy". She also needs help getting into a seated position, but it you let her hold your fingers that's enough. I'm hoping to have a bit longer before she crawls, as my house is nowhere near babyproofed enough for a mobile infant.

We had our first and last (for a while) swim lesson tonight. Mya loved it, but the powwers that be decided that even though they told me okay and my Dr says it's ok, she is too young. It was very disappointing as this is the only indoor pool that I can find in the area and that was Mya's Dr's only requirement. I never tried to hide her age from them and asked repeatedly and was told yes it was fine right up until we got to the water and then all of a sudden they are treating me as if I tried to fool them into thinking she was older. Even when she is old enoough for them I probably won't take her back there.

I hope everyone and all their families are well.

Lara

geneve
06-11-2002, 04:41 AM
That soap sounds divine! I'm going to look on the net and see if I can find out how to make some...
I'm amazed to hear about the swimming pool Lara, I can tell yuo that here kids are allowed in an indoor pool at any age (after all, many of them are born in one now) although many doctors advise against letting them in before their polio vaccination, and for a little while afterwards. This is mainly to protect other young babies who are not immunised and older members of the community who may never have been immunised. I think swimming the the bestthing for little kids, it's so good for them to be able to move about in the water and here by the sea learning to swim is a big deal...and the earlier they start the better.
At 4 yrs Ted can swim 10m no trouble, and at least 5m under water. Many kids can swim more than that.
I envy Myas sleeping. Leo sleeps when his dad looks after him, but only managed 1.5 hours in the day for me, leaving him grumpy and me exhausted.
In fact I can hear him now which means his 20 mins for the morning is over.
Geneve
:(

Lara H
06-11-2002, 05:42 AM
geneve... I was very surprised by the pool's attitude as well. I know that the younger you start the easier it is for them to learn naturally. As for the sleeping, I have little hope of it continuing, but I'm going to enjoy every minute of it while it lasts :) Up to now she has only been sleeping a combined total of about 45 minutes all day.

Jessica, the soap sounds fabulous.

Lara

jlrose
06-11-2002, 04:23 PM
Thanks.
If you're interested in learning how to make soap, I'd recommend going to www.soapnuts.com (http://www.soapnuts.com) . They have a Yahoogroup which is a great community of soapmakers but the homepage has loads of good information on making soap. It's terribly organized but worth looking through.

I just got my first delivery of organic produce. I get a small sized box every other week. I got spinach, cauliflower, zucchini, strawberries, bananas, plums, peaches, tomatoes, lettuce...there's more but I forget. I'll be making a big salad for lunch. Ira, my 4 yr. old, already ate all the strawberries and had me make him a peach smoothie. Jared, my 2 yr old, is playign with and smooshing all the tomatoes. Oh well.

geneve
06-12-2002, 04:38 PM
Jessica, I live on the coast, behind us is miles of downland, much of which is farmed....but can I get ANYONE to deliver us a box of organic produce? NO. I can't even get the milkman to deliver organic milk. There is a farmers market once a fortnight in the next little town, but having been once I was disappointed at the lack of organic goods...lots of organic meat, but not much veg...and before you ask, NO SOAP:lol:
When Leo is a bot bigger (next summer probably) I'm going to get an allotment and grow my own. Will keep me out of the kitchen anayway.
Leo is MUCH better today, smiling and slept 3 hours in total. I love him again, he didn't bite me once. I take this to mean the back toothe will be apperaing shortly. I will just be praying he gets a rest now.
ANyone dieting out there? Am still thinking about goals etc. WIll go off and think baout it in the bath now!
Geneve
:dizzy:

jlrose
06-12-2002, 05:30 PM
I'm very hard at work on my diet. I'm doing WW 123 but on my own (too cheap to go to meetings). I've been doing the program to the letter for the last 2 weeks and my weight is finally moving! I've been going to the gym 2x a week and walking/jogging on the treadmill. Plus weight lifting at home 2x a week. Managed to get to the gym today too. Yay! In seven weeks, I've lost seven pounds. :D Plus my doctor called yesterday to let me know that he's increasing my thyroid medication again. Hopefully that will help too.

bc
06-12-2002, 05:46 PM
Jessica, I have a feeling you are going to raise the bar for us! ;) I am suppose to be following WW123.........however.....but it seems I have no excuse now! I do think I have been eating better, just not as well as if I document EVERY thing I eat. Jessica where do you live?

Gotta go! kids are making a ruckus.

Barb

jlrose
06-12-2002, 06:14 PM
I'm in Seattle.
I downloaded a free piece of software to track my points on my Visor pda. When I used a little notepad the kids would always steal it to draw in our play "Blue's Clues." :lol:

bc
06-12-2002, 07:10 PM
Jessica I hear there are a whole lot of soap makers in Seattle. Is this true? We have quite a bit in our town, but I think mine are a bit different (don't we all?) ;) The way mine are really different is many of the soap makers here use essential oils and I tend to use fragrance oils. I just want things to smell good! I know essential oils smell good, but it would be way too many to collect. I have already sunk a whole lot of money into this craft. :)

I have a program on my Palm and then a foods list there too. I really like it, perhaps it is the same or similar to the program you use. My biggest problem is the moment the baby sees the Palm she thinks she gets to play with it. She is a master of taking it apart. Oiy!

My husband is off playing soccer, and I have three kids to get to bed. Bye.

Barb

jlrose
06-12-2002, 08:18 PM
Yes. There are a lot of soapmakers in this area. We have a big gathering a couple of times a year and there are usually about 40 soapmakers there!
I just a point counter on my pda. It doesn't calculate or have any food lists. I'd be interested in what you're using, if you like it.

bc
06-12-2002, 09:14 PM
Can you use softwear developed for the Palm? (I am not sure how all of these handhelds operate) There is a points tracker you can find at the palm site. I believe it is freeware. It will allow you to calculate points and keep track of one week of foods and points. There are also some freeware food lists you can download but you will need to download the softwear that will let you read the lists. Just type a search for Weight Watchers and see what programs come up.

Look at www.palm.com/softwear/

Do you have any friends who also make soap? I haven't got any, but my one friend did make my first batch with me. It was much easier having someone else to stir that first batch with. :)

Barb

jlrose
06-13-2002, 02:14 AM
Sheesh! I just realized my program does calculate for me. :o
Visor and Palm use the same OS.

My only soap friends are the people I met through soap lists online. Although two friends of mine have been trying to make their own soap and with every attempt they end up calling me to walk them through it.

We went out for what should have been a nice evening walk to dinner with the kids that turned into a grueling death march! We walked for 50 minutes each way. And I had already done 45 minutes on the treadmill today. My feet were so sore I took my shoes off for the last few blocks. And we got the kids into bed about an hour and a half later than usual. Won't be doing that again.

geneve
06-16-2002, 04:00 PM
Hi Everyone, have noticed we are on page 7, so if it's OK with you I'm going to start a new thread. See if you can find it!!!
Geneve