100 lb. Club - Anyone here meditate or do guided imagery?

Beverlyjoy
08-05-2008, 06:38 PM
I have found that daily or almost daily meditation or guided imagery has helped me 'this time' with my living healthy journey. I've more food sanity in my life these past 10 1/2 months of my life than ever before that I can remember. Could it be that I am counting calories and really like it? ... Yes. Could it be that my doctor said my labs numbers were getting life threatning ... Yes (but, I had heard it before).

What's the difference ... I think it's meditation and guided imagery. I learned about it at a mindfullness class I took several years ago. I didn't really like the class...wasnt' ready to hear what they said. But, the meditation we did there always felt good. I would do it every now and then. But, when I started my journey last fall - Dr. Oz, my doctor, and so many other folks kept telling me to try meditation or guided imagery. I had a hard time just kind of doing it on my own. So, so bought a few CD's.

Now - I listen to one weight loss meditation (or a part of it) CD almost daily - if I can fit it in. Wow - it sure does help with the stress of daily living and weight and food issues. Also, with focusing on my body and what I want for it.

So, does anyone else do meditation or guided imagery? If so, do you recommend any CD's. I have gathered five different CD's and listen to different ones or part of different ones for different things I am working on.

One of my best friends is a phsychologist. She says that meditation and guided imagery are very powerful tools for living.

Just wondering?
Edit:

From above: Dr. Oz, my doctor, and so many other folks kept telling me to try meditation or guided imagery I wrote that above. This should say:Folks.... Dr. Oz and my doctor and , other folks... Dr. Oz isn't my doctor. (wouldn't that be wonderful.)

thistoo
08-05-2008, 07:42 PM
I have a guided meditation from Belleruth Naparstek; it's for self-esteem, but it's really good. I confess I don't make the time for it, but I should. Anyway, you can check out here site here:

http://www.healthjourneys.com/

She's got guided meditations on all sorts of subjects. A psychiatric nurse practitioner I used to see for depression recommended her to me.

Beverlyjoy
08-05-2008, 07:53 PM
I have Belleruth Naperstek's CD for meditation/guided imagery/affirmations/ for weight loss. It's terrific.

I also have her CD for pain because I often deal with pain issues.

These are both good.

Thanks, Thistoo.

Lyn2007
08-05-2008, 07:53 PM
I read books about mindful living, and I do some breathing meditation sometimes. I recommend books by Thich Nhat Hanh.

thistoo
08-05-2008, 08:05 PM
Her voice is really relaxing, which is my favorite thing. I wish I could find my CD, I think it's the one about anger and forgiveness (I have a lot of issues with my father). Anyway, I wanted to say thanks for posting this; it made me go search for free guided meditation podcasts, and I found some to put on my iPod. Now I just have to commit to doing the actual meditation. Maybe if I make myself a schedule I will follow through.

Sweetcaroline
08-05-2008, 08:26 PM
Dr. Oz, my doctor,
My goodness, Is he really your doctor ? I LOVE him..
----------------------------------------------------
I love Belleruth... her voice, as you said Thistoo is so calming...

My favorite is Emmett Miller, Letting Go of Stress... one of the cuts, Trip to the Beach is wonderful.

I like this thread, perhaps we should expand into a "Wellness" forum ? I haven't seen much of that yet...

beautifulone
08-05-2008, 08:40 PM
I'm learning to meditate.. I've tried a few times, just to focus on my breathing but it has been a bit difficult in the sense that I don't feel any sort of effects - as in feeling more peaceful, more serene, more positive, anything so it's a bit frustrating (the irony :dizzy:). I've heard that if you meditate daily, after the first couple of weeks (even 2 weeks), it becomes easier and you actually start to yearn for it. But is meditation something that's supposed to be difficult to start with? I've also meditated in groups a few times and it seemed like other people felt really good after the guided group meditations, but I couldn't feel anything. It was frustrating! :mad::?: and obviously it's not supposed to be. And - at least to my impression - I don't think I have a racing mind.. so it shouldn't be too difficult to quiet my mind or feel benefits.. I don't know.

Now, if I chant or otherwise "sing" (really just let melody/music come out of me - usually wordless - without me intending ANYTHING, it feels like it's driven by something within and definitely not directed by my mind).. that often leaves me feeling more centred and more of what I thought meditation would do.

How do you guys feel after meditating? Are you experiencing benefits from it?

beautifulone
08-05-2008, 08:42 PM
My goodness, Is he really your doctor ? I LOVE him..
----------------------------------------------------
I love Belleruth... her voice, as you said Thistoo is so calming...

My favorite is Emmett Miller, Letting Go of Stress... one of the cuts, Trip to the Beach is wonderful.

I like this thread, perhaps we should expand into a "Wellness" forum ? I haven't seen much of that yet...

I absolutely love the idea of a "Wellness" forum, Caroline! I think that would really be wonderful.

And Beverlyjoy, wow Dr.Oz! If he's the same in real life as he is on TV, LUCKY YOU!!! :D

thistoo
08-05-2008, 08:47 PM
How do you guys feel after meditating? Are you experiencing benefits from it?

I am lousy at meditation. I'll be the first to admit it; I can't focus because my head is so full of stuff, and I don't commit to it enough to learn focus. So I am no one to give advice, but I can totally sympathize. As for how I feel *after* meditation, it really depends what kind of meditation I do. The most noticeable difference for me is during chakra meditation -- when I do that, I feel a lot more energized. Other types of meditation can relax me, but I have to work pretty hard at it.

Sweetcaroline
08-05-2008, 08:52 PM
Perhaps a Mind Body Spirit thread ? to share alternatives leading us to overall wellness.

What do you think BeverlyJoy... and everyone else here ?

Currently my sister is doing an advanced Reiki class, she's been working on my knees with a lot of success. I've studied Polarity, intuitive thinking, automatic writing, totem animals and gentle touch healing...

Skullarix
08-05-2008, 09:00 PM
I meditate, however I don't use any CD's. I do notice a difference in my personality when I don't meditate. I haven't started meditating on my health/weight issues yet... Maybe I'll do that tonight.

Beverlyjoy
08-05-2008, 09:27 PM
Dr. Oz, my doctor, and so many other folks kept telling me to try meditation or guided imagery.

Folks....Dr. Oz and my doctor and , other folks...

Sorry folks. for the miscommunication..Dr. Oz is not my doctor (I wish!). But, he does recommend meditation.

beautifulone
08-05-2008, 09:49 PM
Perhaps a Mind Body Spirit thread ? to share alternatives leading us to overall wellness.

What do you think BeverlyJoy... and everyone else here ?

Currently my sister is doing an advanced Reiki class, she's been working on my knees with a lot of success. I've studied Polarity, intuitive thinking, automatic writing, totem animals and gentle touch healing...

I really do love the idea. I think it would be wonderful to create a Mind Body Spirit Forum (or whatever the name would be - though I do really like Mind Body Spirit) :) I am absolutely interested, I hope yall are too :) It would be great to make it an active forum.

How do we get one - do we message and ask any of the moderators or a specific one?

Beverlyjoy
08-05-2008, 09:50 PM
Sweet Caroline & Beautiful One -It would be nice to have a place to discuss meditation and things like that. I wonder if there's enough interest?? It's been so helpful to me.

Beautifulone - I agree - meditation takes practice. When your mind wanders, and it will, bring it right back to the breath. When my mind wanders, I say in my head - "To the breath as I breath in". I am not the great at meditation - but, I love it. That's why I've opted to use CD's more than traditional mediation on my own.

beautifulone
08-05-2008, 09:52 PM
I am lousy at meditation. I'll be the first to admit it; I can't focus because my head is so full of stuff, and I don't commit to it enough to learn focus. So I am no one to give advice, but I can totally sympathize. As for how I feel *after* meditation, it really depends what kind of meditation I do. The most noticeable difference for me is during chakra meditation -- when I do that, I feel a lot more energized. Other types of meditation can relax me, but I have to work pretty hard at it.

Thanks Thistoo, it's a little comforting to not be the only one - not that I am glad it is difficult for you, I hope it becomes easier :) but I feel like I've been surrounded by people for whom it's easy and I feel so frustrated about it sometimes :dizzy: Maybe a mantra of "I will practice meditation daily" and "patience is a virtue" would also help me :lol:

Beverlyjoy
08-05-2008, 10:02 PM
Lyn and Sweet Caroline - thanks for the recommendations!

PugLvr760
08-05-2008, 10:04 PM
Thanks for starting this thread. I have been trying to learn mediation for quite some time, but I always get frustrated and give up. So, I will try some of the CDs mentioned here (CDs HAVE worked for me in the past).

I think a MIND BODY SPIRIT forum would be perfect here on 3FC! What better place?

NeanieBean
08-05-2008, 10:11 PM
I LOVE the idea of a Mind/Body/Spirit thread/forum. I am an intermittant meditator. As with most things that are good for me (exercising, meditating), it is hard for me to get started. Have any of you listened to any CDs by Pema Chodrin. I listen to her CDs almost every day on my way to work. She has so much wisdom and really understands pain. She also has the most lovely voice!

Beverlyjoy
08-05-2008, 10:12 PM
These are the CD's I have gathered over the past 10 months in regards to weight loss:

- Health Journeys" A Meditation to Help you with Weight Loss (Audio CD) - by Belleruth Naparstek

- Mindful and Mindless Eating: Guided Meditations to Become Lighter with Food (Audio CD)
by Robin Maynard-Dobbs

- Meditations for Weight Loss
Allen Holmquist (audio CD)

- I Decide and I Create the Body I Want: A Weight Management and Loss Hypnotherapy Hypnosis CD [Audio CD]
By: Tina G. Sacchi CHt
Even though Tina Sacchi's is called hypnotherapy - it is very much like meditation to me.

I have meditation CD - not related to weight loss -that is done by a local person near where I live, too.

All these CD's I found at Amazon.com. I bought them on the basis of people's comments. I use different ones for different issues about food, weight loss, life or body image.

beautifulone
08-05-2008, 10:30 PM
Thanks Beverlyjoy! I'm going to check some of those out :)

Sweetcaroline
08-06-2008, 12:28 AM
Lyn and Sweet Caroline - thanks for the recommendations!

Perhaps we could just try a thread called Mind Body Spirit, we can start those on our own... without the moderator approval...
Then if we get a bunch of hits and posts we can go from there... I don't mind starting it, but didn't want to steal anyone's thunder... Beverlyjoy had such a nice idea with the meditation, recommending CD's etc But I think we all have so much to offer on the subject(s)... I'm excited about it... its slow in here and maybe this will be interesting... Let me know what you want to do..

Beverlyjoy
08-06-2008, 04:58 AM
Have any of you listened to any CDs by Pema Chodrin.

Thanks, NeanieBean - for this recommendation.!

from SweetCaroline - Perhaps we could just try a thread called Mind Body Spirit, we can start those on our own... without the moderator approval...
Then if we get a bunch of hits and posts we can go from there... I don't mind starting it, but didn't want to steal anyone's thunder... Beverlyjoy had such a nice idea with the meditation, recommending CD's etc But I think we all have so much to offer on the subject(s)... I'm excited about it... its slow in here and maybe this will be interesting... Let me know what you want to do..

Sweet Caroline - go for it! (you wouldn't be stealing my thunder at all) I think a thread on Mind/Body/Spirt could be helpful to many people. You are right...there is alot more than just the CD's. :)

QueenBee3
08-06-2008, 10:32 AM
I just started learning about simple breathing meditation a few weeks ago. I love doing it! Every morning, I stretch and/or meditate before I jog. It wakes me up and makes my mind clear...I feel rejuvenated! I've been researching more on Buddhism so I can really understand where the practices come from and how to benefit from it the most. Here's an extremely useful website if you want to learn about meditation, Buddhism or find a center near you to do group meditation.

http://kadampa.org/en/buddhism

NESunshine
08-06-2008, 11:28 AM
THIS IS GREAT! I have been reading more about mindful living and am a regular practicer of Pranavayu and Vinyasa Flow yoga. It helps me with my breathing to be in a class (the Pranavayu class teacher does long detailed guided meditations) and I love the workout that I get with my Vinyasa classes too. I have trouble trying to meditate at home, alone. I do have an extremely busy mind and it's hard to push out the distractions...maybe I'll try one of these tapes you are all talking about. My goal is to get up a bit earlier and just have 30 minutes where I am either mindful of what I am doing, practice my breathing or do some sort of guided meditation. I feel like it can help me get through my day successfully. This is a great thread/forum idea!

dcapulet
08-06-2008, 11:29 AM
i meditate. i need some time to slow down, and i find this is the best way to do so.

JulieJ08
08-06-2008, 11:46 AM
A thread would be nice, but I really think a forum would be fabulous. This is such a huge area in being healthy, mentally and physically, and has so very much to do with everything else here at 3FC. So I'm adding my vote :D

Sweetcaroline
08-06-2008, 12:08 PM
I would love to do it, so watch the board for the Mind~ Body~Spirit thread (for now) coming soon....

Sweetcaroline
08-06-2008, 12:33 PM
By Beautifulone: But is meditation something that's supposed to be difficult to start with?

I had a lot of difficulty when I started to meditate, I was very easily distracted (and distraction was one of the biggest reasons I needed to meditate). Do you have a 'mantra' type word or phrase that you can say to yourself, (listen to the word in your mind) with practice, this can bring you back to the process. I was taught to say "one", when I was drifting, but you could say anything, love, peace... whatever you chose... You may want to try it, for me I saw quickly that or saying "one" would bring me back to the process. I had to say it a lot at the beginning... I believe that distraction is one of the biggest reasons people try meditation once or twice and think 'they can't do it'... I think anyone can do it... I have to practice practice practice... over time I was able to go deep into a meditation very quickly, stay about 5 mins undisturbed, and work up in time from there... for me, coming back to the room slowly and peacefully is just as important as the meditation itself.

beautifulone
08-06-2008, 02:40 PM
By Beautifulone:

I had a lot of difficulty when I started to meditate, I was very easily distracted (and distraction was one of the biggest reasons I needed to meditate). Do you have a 'mantra' type word or phrase that you can say to yourself, (listen to the word in your mind) with practice, this can bring you back to the process. I was taught to say "one", when I was drifting, but you could say anything, love, peace... whatever you chose... You may want to try it, for me I saw quickly that or saying "one" would bring me back to the process. I had to say it a lot at the beginning... I believe that distraction is one of the biggest reasons people try meditation once or twice and think 'they can't do it'... I think anyone can do it... I have to practice practice practice... over time I was able to go deep into a meditation very quickly, stay about 5 mins undisturbed, and work up in time from there... for me, coming back to the room slowly and peacefully is just as important as the meditation itself.

Thanks Caroline. Sometimes I've gotten the impression that it is easy and maybe should be easy. I'm glad to know that that's not necessarily the case. I will try the mantra. I really want to be able to meditate. I want to keep at it, and try to do it daily. Hopefully the consistency will help.:)

Beverlyjoy
08-07-2008, 07:15 AM
I am going to a class on Guided Imagery tonight at the women's center of a local hospital. I'll let you all know how it goes. They said to bring a mat. It's for two hours.

This is what it's about:

"Deep Relaxation with Guided Imagery
Guided imagery uses the power of your imagination to create positive changes in your physical and mental health. Learn how to create a profound sense of relaxation to manage stress, bring your body into harmony and facilitate deep relaxation. Dress comfortably and bring a mat for floor work."

Jen415
08-07-2008, 09:46 AM
Anyone started a Mind Body Spirit thread yet? It really interests me!

Beverlyjoy
08-08-2008, 08:04 AM
Hi...

Last night was my Guided Imagery for Deep Relaxation class. It was very good. The teacher reinforced that when we relax and allow our body to imagine/make pictures in our mind of things we want - that certain chemicals are released that actually help those things to begin to happen, in a way. How powerful the mind is in healing, relaxing, changing and more. I could go on and on. She talked about how guided imagery is used in many, many aspects of health - relaxation, healing, weight loss, performance enhancement and many many more.

She lead the class in four different guided imagery. I was VERY relaxed after the class.

The one thing that I wanted to know is why I have a hard time doing it on my own....and do better with a CD. She said that is how many people feel. It's because when you are doing it on your own you have to take the roll or being in charge of it as well as the recipient. When I listen to the CD...I can just be the recipient.

She also said that most people's minds wander when they do imagery/mediation. That we should gently and without judgement just bring ourselves back to the imagery or meditation. Good class.

This class were thru the local hospital wellness classes. It was done at the women's center - but, there was a 70 year old man there too. Loved it!!

If any of you have a place where you live that offers these kinds of classes, I recommend them. It's helpful for me. Worth a try.

valpal23
08-08-2008, 11:39 AM
I did a guided meditation class at the local mental health assoc but I feel better about my ability to do guilded relaxation and imagery. It really leaves me feeling invigorated - I'm loving Kelly Howell.

Keillynsmom
08-15-2008, 11:25 AM
Was a Mind/Body thread/forum ever started? I like the idea of it though I don't have the wherewithal to use it myself.