100 lb. Club - An attitude of gratitude.
08-05-2008, 07:41 AM
No matter where we are in our journey or in our life - there are always things to be grateful for.
Everyday for the past ten years I've written down five things I am grateful for. On good days and the worst days - it helps put life in perspective.
08-05-2008, 07:44 AM
I'll do mine for today -
- willingness to plan and try
- my helper, Alexandra, who has been my 'roadie' this summer and made it possible for me to do my work easier.
- Mom loves living in her senior apartment and is happy.
- being a Grandma - ultimate joy
- friends, family, internet connections
08-05-2008, 08:05 AM
1. I am SO thankful for the chance to go to be able to afford (albeit entirely through student loans) to go to college, and to have a warm, loving community of friends there to welcome me back this fall.
2. My loving supportive boyfriend, and the beautiful, kind hearted "in-laws" I cannot WAIT to get home to.
3. My sister allowing me to stay with her for the summer rent free (even though it's been a rocky trip) and opening her home and her heart for me.
4. I'm just now starting to get to know my older brother. We came very close to losing him to a suicide attempt two years ago - and I am so, so glad I'm getting to know him now. I love that I still can get to know him.
5. My dad, who has always gone above and beyond to be the best dad, and the best mom he could be and has done an incredible job. He once went to work (he does military intel!) with pink toenails for an entire week under his business suit because I begged him to let me practice painting nails. Now THAT is a good daddy!
And I feel even more blessed after realizing I've got a lot more to be thankful for than just five things. It was hard to narrow my list down. Thanks for this post, Beverlyjoy :)
08-05-2008, 08:16 AM
1) My sister, who is also my workout partner and biggest cheerleader.
2) Supportive friends who are happy to see my succeed, rather than letting their own fears try to hold me back.
3) My house. It's been almost a year now since I bought it, and it's even more perfect for me than I expected it to be when I moved in. I never thought I'd find a house I loved this much and could actually afford!
4) My parents, who have helped me out more than I can say.
5) Perseverance. I'm really grateful to myself for not giving up last year when I got stuck at 218 and I didn't think I'd ever lose another pound. Over 30 more pounds later, I've never been so happy to have proven myself wrong. :)
08-05-2008, 08:21 AM
1.I am greatful for the loving, supportive husband I have that is trying so hard to support me in everything I do.
2.I am greatful for the wonderful children I have that make evey day an adventure
3.I am greatful for my best friend who I have so much fun with but she is also there through my tears and the times I am being, well, a pain :D
4.I am greatful for my church and all of the wonderful people I have there. It is like another family.
5.I am greatful for the stability I have in my life right now as I am trying to help others in my life through a rocky time.
08-05-2008, 09:22 AM
Thanks BeverlyJoy, what a great way to start the day!
I am grateful that I found sanity in a healthy eating plan that works for me.
I am grateful for the farmer's market where I can indulge myself in fresh yummy produce.
I am grateful for the friendship and support I've found at 3fc.
I am grateful that we planned our finances to see us through rough times and so have some security and aren't being impacted by the poor economy. Let's just say, my DH and I are both "frugal".
I am grateful for my stable family, including loving and supportive husband, and all-around good kids. This is even more dear to me as I watch two families we are close to self-destruct.
08-05-2008, 09:25 AM
1. I am thankful for my overall good health.
2. I am really thankful right now to be in the Northeast and not dealing with the heat that many have.
3. I am so incredibly thankful for my hubby, every single day.
4. I'm thankful that my head is in a good place in regards to weight loss
5. I am thankful for the kitty 'bumps' that I get when sitting at the computer (especially if someone is waiting for food LOL)
08-05-2008, 09:43 AM
1) I am grateful for my loving, understanding, funny husband who is willing to walk through the world with me, wherever we may end up.
2) I am grateful for my wonderful parents who have always loved and supported me on my winding way through life, even though it took me so far away from them for the time being. Their encouragement and support mean the world to me.
3) I'm grateful for my friends, that there are a handful of people I know will stay with me and have my back wherever I am in the world. And I'm grateful for the fact that no matter where you go in the world you're bound to find kind, smart, strong, funny, wonderful people that you just click with. And I'm grateful that these days, with the internet, it's easier to keep in touch with many of them!
4) I'm grateful for hope, and that so far, whenever one door was closing, there was another one opening for me.
5) I'm grateful for strength, and that sometimes I find it even though I have no idea where it comes from.
Those are the big ones for me, I think. That is a great idea, I'll try to do this more often from now on, and for a lot of small(er) stuff as well...
08-05-2008, 11:27 AM
Wow! This was my New Year's resolution this year--to consciously feel grateful every single day for something, instead of always being negative and focusing on what isn't going right in life! I am normally an optimistic person, but at times I find myself grumbling about what I don't have, or why is this so hard, or why does this happen to me.
So here goes:
1) I am grateful to have found the 3FC board and realizing this is what I need to help me achieve some specific goals
2) I am grateful for a loving and supportive husband and my marriage of 22 years
3) I am grateful for the overall general good health of myself and my hub, and for the medical successes of my family members each who are dealing with some serious medical issues right now
4) I am grateful to have found a few good friends since my recent move across the country to a totally new state, including a workout buddy and a good trainer
5) I am grateful to have had the parents I did, the kind who sacrificed all for their kids and would move mountains to help them achieve their dreams. Without their immense help, I would never have been able to go to 8 years of college and postgraduate education and enter the career of my choice which has provided me with a decent income and the ability to help others in my everyday life
Well, it really is difficult to narrow this list down to just five things. My resolution was to think of one new thing to be grateful for every day, and I'm sure it will be no trouble at all to have had 365 discrete thoughts of gratitude when this year is over.
08-05-2008, 11:36 AM
Very encouraging thread :)
1. I am grateful for God's mercy.
2. I am grateful for my husband.
3. I am grateful for my children.
4. I am grateful for our health.
5. I am grateful for our home, food, clothes and our happiness.
08-05-2008, 07:11 PM
I also keep a daily journal. Most of the time they are very minor and simple happenings, but they definitely help me stay mindful throughout the day.
1. I wanted to hug the guy in the truck who let me out in traffic.
2. Walking by the pool at my complex, hearing a child to his dad, thank you for taking me swimming... I love you...
3. The busy mom who I was able to give a couple of quarters to so her little girl could ride the 'horsey' outside Walmart. The little girl was not crying or screaming just looking at the ground.. (mom couldn't find change, and that wasn't going over to well with the little girl.
4. Finding one pound of big huge sweet grapes on the 'mark down' rack for .79
5. My knees are not too sore today, I was able to get my walk in... a little shorter than I would like, but I walked !!
08-05-2008, 09:34 PM
Caroline, these are so beautiful!
08-05-2008, 10:23 PM
1. I am thankful for my relationship with God.
2. I am thankful for my immediate family. My husband who can always make me laugh and is my best friend. And my kids who make me want to be the best I can be. And we are all healthy.
3. I am thankful for my parents and my extended family. And their health.
4. I am thankful I have a roof over my head and food to eat and clothing.
5. I am thankful for my country and the men and women in our military, especially the ones far from home.
08-05-2008, 11:35 PM
When we were little, my mom used to have me and my brothers write down something we were grateful for each night. Most of the time it was little things that only kids would be grateful for, like days off school or getting to stay up an extra hour the night before. Thanks for doing this Beverlyjoy, it brought back good memories!
Here are my five:
1. I'm thankful for the rain today, it meant I didn't have to water the flowers!
2. I'm thankful for my mom, who has always been supportive of me, no matter what I'm doing.
3. I'm thankful that my dad has only two weeks left of radiation treatments.
4. I'm thankful for daytime television at night-- I swear, hearing the theme music of General Hospital really calms me down after a stressful day.
5. I'm thankful for minor setbacks -- it makes reaching the end goal even better. After all, we wouldn't enjoy the sunshine if there was never any rain.
08-06-2008, 08:10 AM
I am thankful for:
1. An amazing, supportive, loving husband
2. Friends & family who love me no matter what
3. Our soldiers - who lay it on the line every day to protect our freedoms
4. People who smile back when you pass by them
5. 3FC - for being the one place i can be completely honest about my food/body issues