General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-03-2008, 06:50 PM   #1  
3.14.10 Bride to Be

S/C/G: 316.4/311.6/200

Height: 5'7"

Default Back question - not related to spine, but close... Help!?

For about 3 months or so, I have felt a bit of pressure to the right of my spine. When I compress my right side (read: lean a bit to the right) it makes a popping sound similar to what you would hear when one cracks their knuckles, and it relieves the pressure. Also, when someone presses on that spot, it feels like something is being moved back into place. I can consciously crack this spot about once every twenty minutes if I focus on it.

My question would be, what could be cracking or making that noise? I don't know of any joints there. Its just below where my shoulder blade moves back and forth and its about 2 to 3 inches to the right of my spine. Any guesses or similar experiences? I have lost about 30 lbs since the begining of the year, and I can only really think that it has to do with me losing some fat in that area...
Naytally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 07:05 PM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Do you have a chiropractor? I'd go see one. If necessary they can take X-rays and tell you what it is. It may be that you have a rib out of joint, or who knows? Not me--

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 08:00 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Definately see a chiro with xrays. But just fyi...the "cracking" noise is a release of nitrous gas built up in tightened muscles...or that's what my chiropracter tells me. Its normal to hear the cracking...but it sounds like you are misaligned. Definately go see a chiropracter. I swear by chiros now that i'm actively pursuing treatment with one. I never was a believer until i started and now swear by them. But find a good one...one that does xrays to find out what's up?

Last edited by GatorgalstuckinGA; 08-04-2008 at 07:33 AM.
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 12:51 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

I'd check with a chiropractor first. Despite what some people think, chiropractors do complete extensive medical training, including in-depth study of the skeletal and muscle systems. When I go to mine, he is very honest with me and has told me to got to an MD when he realized it was not back problem, but something else.
I kept having a rib go out of socket for months; I'd lean over or cough and I'd hear it pop out of place. You could actually feel it out of place. My chiropractor x-rayed to find out why it kept coming out of socket and ordered me to the emergency room. It turns out I had horrible gastritus, and it was the enormous bubble of air that kept pushing my rib out of place. Because of my chiropractor, I was able to avoid surgery...
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 07:36 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

I think dr's are great don't get me wrong i'm one. But if you find a good chiro (like mine), he or she will send you to a dr if its something that can't be fixed by adjustments or if its something that adjustments can make worse. Make sure they are doing xrays ect. It is important. If you'd rather see a dr, go for it..just go see someone.
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:42 AM   #6  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

And I am not! So let's agree to disagree. Chiropractors are not quacks in my book, having been helped a great deal by them over many years.

Each of us has to use our own judgment about our own medical care. This thread is about suggestions to the original poster, so let's not get diverted into arguments about care options.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote