Weight Loss Support - Ever feel like its literally impossible to lose weight?

Diana86
08-03-2008, 09:52 AM
I do. I'm a bit overweight. I used to weigh 140, but I did that in an unhealthy way. Now at 166, I've changed my eating habits in the past few months, feel healthier, but no weight has really come off. Or, I'll eat super healthy for a few days, mess up one day, and I'm back to my original weight. Ir's so frustrating. I almost feel like it's because I lost weight in an unhealthy way before that i just screwed my body up.

JayEll
08-03-2008, 10:03 AM
Hey Diana86! :wel3fc:

I know what you mean...

But I also notice that you don't mention any way of tracking what you're eating.

"Eating super healthy" doesn't always mean weight loss. I gained weight eating "healthy" foods--organic, etc., nothing but the best quality. But too much of it. To lose consistently, I had to find a way to actually see how much I was eating and keep it under control.

There's a middle ground between unhealthy weight loss and no weight loss at all. Don't worry about the past--find a plan you can follow now. Calorie counting, Weight Watchers, South Beach... all of these plans have advantages and disadvantages--find one that fits pretty well with your life, and stick with it!

Don't give up--

Jay

Spoz
08-03-2008, 10:10 AM
I agree that just because you're eating healthily you may be eating too much!

I started out at 164 and dint really lose any weight despite being healthy, and then I found out how many calories was needed to lose weight and once I started counting those the weight started to drop off.

djay
08-03-2008, 10:12 AM
Diana,
If loosing weight in an unhealthy manner screwed your body up to where you could no longer loose weight, I would say 80% of the people on this board will never loose weight! Most of us have starved or purged or gone on a ridiculous fad diet at one time or the other.

The reason you are not loosing weight is not a mystery...You said it in your post. You are not being consistant. When you are really ready, you will quit sabotaging yourself every few days.

I once read something that was so crazy...but the more I get into my diet...the more I believe it... The theory is that when you have cravings, you are loosing weight. In a way that is true...
If you satisfy your body's nutritional needs consistantly, without excess, you WILL reach and maintain a healthy weight. If you give in to cravings, it will slow or impede your progress.

You can do this. Find a way other than food to treat yourself when you have stayed with your eating plan. And treat yourself extra nice when you don't give in to cravings!

Good luck,
D

Diana86
08-03-2008, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the advice. I recently started journaling what I'm eating, through 3FC blogs. I feel like it helps because I'll see something I want to eat but shouldnt, and I'll go ohh..I want that, but I don't want the responsibility of having to write that down in my food journal!

Diana86
08-03-2008, 10:29 AM
You can take a look at my blog! It's listed right here under my user name.

QuilterInVA
08-03-2008, 10:53 AM
I eat super healthy, too, but when I get slack and don't keep my food diary the weight goes up. You can eat too much of healthy foods too. A few days isn't enough time to see any lifestyle change that will lead to permanent weight loss and maintenance. It takes 3 weeks to make a new habit. I suggest you track your food and figure out how much you are really eating. Weight fluctuates from hour to hour as well as day to day so only weigh once a week. How much exercise do you do? That is very important as well.

Diana86
08-03-2008, 11:04 AM
i dont exercise much. im going to start doing some videos thursday, when my condensed summer classes from **** are over. also, im taking a week off of work soon, so i can start getting into the habit then/

JayEll
08-03-2008, 11:41 AM
Hey again! :wave:

I looked at your blog--sorry to say, I think you're way underestimating your calories.

I'd suggest you look at sites like FitDay and TheDailyPlate, where you can enter foods and the calories will be listed for you. You really do have to know portion sizes, ounces, cups, whatever, of every food, and figure out the number of calories.

How much syrup do you put on your pancakes? Do you measure it with a tablespoon? Or just gluck it out until it looks "covered"? If the second one, then you just have no idea how much sugar and calories you're getting with the syrup. Same goes for "bites" of subs, and all those other bits and pieces you're eating during the day. Peanuts are really high cal if you get going on them, for example. 35 peanuts = 170 calories. Easy to eat 3X that many...

So I'd say, you could get a much better idea of how much you're really eating if you use a tool like FitDay. Also, you can look up calories for different restaurants on line, so you don't have to guess.

Good luck!

Jay

Diana86
08-03-2008, 11:44 AM
oooh i definitely didnt eat more than 35 peanuts.
and i 86ed the syrup as of today, and i just made a skinny circle around them before. and i dont like the daily plate because its so frustrating to me that there are 100s of different choices for one item that you type in. and having a bite of someones sandwich isnt that big of a deal. its not like i ate my brothers entire lunch. i think youre overestimating what im eating.

bananapancakes
08-03-2008, 12:52 PM
Why don't you swap out the waffles and syrup for a healthy cereal with fat free/low fat milk?

vixjean
08-03-2008, 12:56 PM
As shown above, calorie counting is really the way to go. Now, I don't calorie count every single day, but if my weight starts creeping or gets stuck, I will count for a few days, until I am back on track and that sort of puts me in check for a few weeks.
www.thedailyplate.com - I honestly think that is the best place to count calories, HUGE library of foods!

Also, working out is usually the breaker for me. I eat a lot and stay at the high limit of my calories, often go over, and I DO treat myself. Those weeks that I workout REALLY show up on the scale. Hope that helps.

If all else fails, don't forget that there could be a medical issue that is not allowing you to lose weight, I wouldn't know very good examples, but that is a problem for some.

CONGRATS on eating healthier!

bananapancakes
08-03-2008, 01:00 PM
oooh i definitely didnt eat more than 35 peanuts.
and i 86ed the syrup as of today, and i just made a skinny circle around them before. and i dont like the daily plate because its so frustrating to me that there are 100s of different choices for one item that you type in. and having a bite of someones sandwich isnt that big of a deal. its not like i ate my brothers entire lunch. i think youre overestimating what im eating.

I have to agree 100% with 'JayEll' here.

I looked at what you were eating. All those little bites here and handful of peanuts and few cookies here and there all add up. If you want to lose weight you have to get serious about it.

I don't mean to sound rude at all but, I think your in denial a little about your eating habits. I'm just telling you what it looks like from the outside.

fiberlover
08-03-2008, 01:33 PM
I would also agree that you are underestimating your calories. The Buffalo wild wing wrap alone is 440 calories. That day you estimated 1700, but with the bites, tastes and pretzels, etc - it was probably well over 2000.

It's really surprising how many calories are in the BLTs (bites, licks and tastes). For example, one small freihoffer chocolate chip cookie - about the size of a silver dollar - has 60 calories! I about died when I saw that. I put the whole thing in my mouth in one bite.

So, a few cheesy fries here = 50 calories, couple bites of a sub = 40 calories, few bites of ice cream = 50 calories, a tablespoon of peanuts = 50 calories. See how these little nibbles add up? Not to mention all the sodium from restaurant food, you are probably retaining water from that.

It might help you to really buckle down and count the actual calories. Eating out can make it difficult, but try a few days of really clean eating with things you really know the calories for and see what happens.

Spoz
08-03-2008, 01:56 PM
The machiatto too..might be skinny, but still has a good 600+ cals going on :shrug:

hotmomma
08-03-2008, 02:08 PM
Diana,
I understand how you feel. I have a really hard time losing weight - sometimes it takes weeks for me to lose anything - and that's WITH me tracking my food. So, I know there are some people who lose weight a lot easier than other people.

Still, I think tracking food on something like the daily plate really would be helpful. A bite of someone's sandwich, and a few several low calorie drinks (e.g. crystal light or my favorite, diet rock star) can add up to more calories than you think.

Also, looking up the calories in foods that seem healthy enough can come as a surprise. I rarely eat anything that's blatantly unhealthy, and I'm not a compulsive eater or anything like that. However, I was gaining weight in part from eating Togos a few days a week. A hummus sandwich at Togos has some obscene amount of calories!

s0nali
08-03-2008, 02:09 PM
Sometimes I feel it isn't possible either, and that's when I start documenting everything. Not just estimate. I mean actual measuring cups and a food weighing scale. I do not put anything in my mouth at those times that I cannot measure or look up on a nutritional chart online. Then I weigh myself, take measurements, and put them in a Excel chart along with the calories. And I watch the numbers all go down, including my jeans size, and KNOW it's possible.

When I'm not feeling so obsessive, I just read a lot of the stories here on 3FC of people who have lost incredible amounts of weight - success stories are great motivators! If other people can do it, I can't think of a single reason why I, a perfectly healthy, able-bodied person with a good support network, can't.

Diana86
08-03-2008, 02:14 PM
The machiatto too..might be skinny, but still has a good 600+ cals going on :shrug:

actually, if you look at starbucks website its 190 calories. a bit less than 600+.

yoyoma
08-03-2008, 02:54 PM
If you commit to really counting calories (not just estimating), you may find yourself eating many fewer BLTs, just because it is such a pain to honestly figure out how many calories are in 3 bites of a sub or in a few cheesy fries. So you end up eating less as well as having better accountability. You will need a food scale and a lot of measuring cups & spoons (I have about three sets of each, just so that I don't have to keep washing them). I also find myself eating foods that I make with very few ingredients for the same reason.

Ailey60
08-03-2008, 03:46 PM
There's a book called the Portion Teller. The author's entire premise is that our serving sizes are too big, especially in restaurants. She teaches her readers how to estimate using our memory of very common things like a golf ball, baseball, deck of cards, dice, etc. I wanted to switch over to this way of tracking my foods completely but found that i'm more comfortable with counting calories right now.

I don't have a scale yet but it may be time for one. I've found that by writing down what and how much i eat(measuring w/cups tablespoons, etc) that i have lost weight. Problem is when i get tired of the tracking and try to remember what i've eaten to write down later. Either i forget things or i've eaten more than i thought and have stacked up more calories than i'd thought. So i'm struggling to get back into that conscientious place i was for about 8-10 weeks. I'm not gaining at this point but the losing has stalled and i think it's because i've gotten sloppy about tracking as a eat. So it's back to logging, measuring, weighing(when i get a scale) and hopefully over time my stomach will be reprogrammed and my habits will too and making better choices will become 2nd nature.

And we'll all live happily and healthier ever after:carrot::carrot:

hotmomma
08-03-2008, 03:53 PM
If you commit to really counting calories (not just estimating), you may find yourself eating many fewer BLTs, just because it is such a pain to honestly figure out how many calories are in 3 bites of a sub or in a few cheesy fries. So you end up eating less as well as having better accountability. You will need a food scale and a lot of measuring cups & spoons (I have about three sets of each, just so that I don't have to keep washing them). I also find myself eating foods that I make with very few ingredients for the same reason.

I have found this to be true also.
My boyfriend loves to cook and always wants me to taste test things. Since I've been logging food, I just refuse to bother with that. I've become so used to eating things in measured units that I feel thrown off and annoyed by a "little" this and a "little" that. I'm pretty sure I save a few hundred calories a week this way.

JayEll
08-03-2008, 04:14 PM
Hey again! I hope you don't feel like we're picking on you too much... That's not the intent here! We all are "losers" or trying to be. :lol: And we have some experience that might help you. We want everyone to succeed! :cb:

It doesn't have to be hard, and you don't have to give up everything you like or start eating three square very square meals per day--Lots of folks find ways to personalize their plans.

You are off to a good start just by tracking, and I don't want to discourage you! But your original question had to do with feeling like it's impossible to lose weight. It's not! You may have to make some adjustments, that's all. :yes:

So hang in there--I see that you are looking up Starbucks and some other foods on the sites--that's fine. As long as you know! :D

Jay

vixjean
08-03-2008, 06:19 PM

Absolutely False, I'm a coffee snob.

If it was from Starbucks, it had about 190 calories.

Diana, I am glad that you are eating less and eating healthier, that will help you be a healthier person. However, it is a fact that calories in vs calories out is the ONLY way to lose weight. So there is truly NO other way to do it. So, if you don't want to count calories, then there are diet plans that do help that sort of count and estimate your calories for you.
I like to choose my food and squeeze in Starbucks and treats, etc... whenever I want, so that's why I chose to do that for myself.

pintobean
08-03-2008, 08:07 PM
I have to agree with the folks here...Calories in Vs Calories out is how the body works. In other words, Intake should be Less Than Outtake. The amount of food/calories going in has to be less than what you burn in order for you to lose weight. There is no ifs or buts. There are several methods of achieving the same goal. Some people find it easier to count calories themselves whereas others try different methods (weight watchers, south beach etc)...there is no best method. It's a personal preference. What works for you is the best method... but the underline theme is still the same - What you put in your mouth has to be accounted for (even 5 French fries, any nibbles - it all adds up). Doesn't mean I'm not enjoying treats here or there I am but I make sure it is within my calories for the day. No estimates or guesstimates but exact calories as much as you can. Of course exceptions are always there ;)

Have you figured out your BMR (http://weightloss.about.com/od/eatsmart/a/blcalintake.htm) (Basal Metabolic Rate)? It will be easier for you to figure out how much calories you need per day to either maintain or lose weight. Once you calculate that then figure out how much calories you want to stick with per day to lose weight and achieve your goal. There are several sites available I put a link for you. Click on BMR...

In short, weight loss journey is long and tedious. It's a lifestyle change and commitment. Only you can say if you're ready for it or not. Everything is possible if you put your mind to it. Nothing is impossible the key is to have a plan and stick to the plan. Not for 1 day or 2 day but for at least 2-3 weeks for starters for you to see the change and get your body to adjust to the change. Give your body a chance to get used to the change of lifestyle. Then tweak it to make it more efficient. But you have to stick to the plan! We all fall at times, we're only human :D but the key is to get back right on track. We're all here to support you and advise you (if you need it) and support you in this journey. We've all had pitfalls and been in denials.

Maybe also when you get adjusted to your plans adding some form of exercise will also help. That is very important :)

I see you've started journaling your food...it's a great start. Good Luck in your journey and we're here for you to support :D