100 lb. Club - What foods help you stay on your plan?

Beverlyjoy
08-03-2008, 07:22 AM
We have lots of new folks with us lately. So, I thought it might be a good time for folks to mention the foods that help you stay on your plan. I think we did this a while back...I learned about Laughing Cow Cheese, Kashi cereal, Kashi Waffles and many others.

Join in...you just might help a friend.

Beverlyjoy
08-03-2008, 07:32 AM
For me: (in measured amounts)

almond butter
natural peanut butter
ff cottage cheese
2% cheeses
veggie burgers
I Can't Beleive it's Not Butter Spray
bananas and loads of fresh fruit
sweet potatoes
Marzetti lite blue cheese dressing - a great veggie dip
veggies like - squash, spaghetti sqash, green beans, beets, mushrooms and more
greek yogurt
Ak Mak Crackers
turkey Italian sausage, turkey burgers, turkey polish sausage
Morningstar Bacon (soy)
SF syrup
egg whites - scrambled with ketchup or veggies or cheese, hard boiled made into egg salad
tuna, salmon
oatmeal
Kashi Waffles
brown rice.
low fat ricotta cheese
beans/legumes

I know I'll think of more and add them as I think of them.

Schmoodle
08-03-2008, 08:35 AM
Veggies, veggies, and more veggies. :carrot::broc:
beans
eggs
salsa, canned tomatoes, and NSA spaghetti sauce
lean protein (chicken breast, turkey, fish, pork loin)
Turkey bacon or sausage
lowfat or nonfat dairy, esp. cottage cheese, yogurt (Greek is the best), milk
whole grains - quinoa, oatmeal, ww couscous, brown rice, ww pasta
Reduced fat triscuits
nuts and nut butters in limited amounts
Agave nectar
NSA fudgesicles
All the great recipes I find on 3fc!

Beverlyjoy
08-03-2008, 09:32 AM
Schmoodle - what do you do with quinoa?

Schmoodle
08-03-2008, 09:42 AM
Beverly, are you familiar with it at all? It is a yummy high protein whole grain, and I use it anywhere I might use couscous or rice. It makes a great pilaf.

thistoo
08-03-2008, 09:46 AM
+ Green beans. That sounds so lame! But they really beef up my meals for practically no calories, and that helps keep me full.
+ At my Kroger they carry store brand bags of frozen tri-colored peppers and onions chopped up. It's part of a 'recipe beginnings' selection. It makes my life SO MUCH EASIER. Just toss some in a pan, thaw them, toss in some egg substitute, a little cheese, top with salsa, perfect breakfast.
+ Another breakfast I finally tried after reading about here and loved is oatmeal with a tablespoon of peanut butter and a little honey. It's really rich and delicious for less than 300 calories, and it sticks with you for ages.
+ Ground turkey: so versatile!
+ humanely raised, hormone-free meat -- this is really important to me, and I'm lucky to be able to get it from a local farmer at the farmer's market

Beverlyjoy
08-03-2008, 10:38 AM
Schmoodle...I am going to check it out. I love brown rice. DH, well - he can be a food woosy. If his mother never made it -he's not eager to try something new. Oy!

Schmoodle
08-03-2008, 10:55 AM
Just don't tell him. The first time my kids ate it, they thought it was couscous or weird looking rice. But it doesn't have a strong or strange taste, so they liked it and now eat it willingly. DH loves it. Put it in something familiar like a casserole (stuffed cabbage?), and he won't even know until you tell him.

WebRover
08-03-2008, 11:24 AM
A lot of the food already named, plus

Red, Orange, Yellow Bell Peppers
Sugar Snap/Snow peas
Blueberries, raspberries (stir them into unsweetened oatmeal)
Cinammon sprinkled on apple slices
Ready to eat bagged or boxed romaine based salad greens
Radishes
Not a food, but a method of preparation - roasting fresh vegetables
Balsamic vinegar (tasty as a marinade for boneless skinless chicken breasts, combine with extra virgin olive oil for salad dressing)
Canned Black beans
Canned Fat free refried beans (just beans, water and seasonings)
Low fat cheeses (can't tolerate fat free cheese)

SwimGirl
08-03-2008, 12:00 PM
Almost everything I eat has been mentioned... except..

Organic grapes, kept in the fridge, so that they are a little crunchy.. soo good!
My breakfast smoothie - it's 5 servings of fruits and veggies! I try to aim for 10 servings a day.

My secret weapon is my boyfriend, he's SUCH a good cook, he can make anything taste yummy!

-Aimee

Trazey34
08-03-2008, 12:12 PM
I agree, a lot of the staples have been mentioned yay!

My BIGGEST "can't live without it" food is Cottage Cheese. I never ever get sick of it and just sticking with it for breakfast, along with a small piece of fruit and a Kashi bar - I completely believe it's kept me off the "snacking at night" wagon -- even now, I'm kind of in a holding pattern for summer. I haven't gained an ounce (yay!) and I know it's because I haven't returned to the "hey it's 10:30 at night let's shove a bag of doritos into my face...and then some cupcakes!" mentality!

yay cottage cheese!

FB
08-03-2008, 12:54 PM
I like convenience and no brainer meals! For me are those single serve packages of frozen fish, single serve pouches of tuna, egg beaters, my protein shakes and those bags of veggies that steam in the microwave. Frozen berries and fruits. I also love those La Tortilla Factory tortillas for a quick wrap.

I've found that my previously neglected freezer is a godsend. I either had too much going to waste when I first started or found myself running to the grocery store endlessly, the freezer helps so much and cuts down on shopping trips. It makes my meals so easy, especially since my son and hubby don't usually eat what I do (although we all sit down to dinner together).

Another tip not directly related to what foods is where to store them. I keep my own separate cabinet for my goods. No need to look in the other cabinets where there's likely something junky.

I also like full fat things to spice my otherwise low calorie food up. I don't think I could exist on super low cal, low fat foods without a little yum added and it hasn't effected my loss at all. I love rich cheeses, yummy dressings (like the to die for Goddess Dressing by Annie's Natural which has so much tahini your mouth will pucker), nuts of all kinds - particularly macadamia and walnuts, and avocados.

fiberlover
08-03-2008, 01:20 PM
Cupboard staples

- organic hemp/flax granola
- Zone or Balance bars
- soy crisps
- whole grain crackers
- rolled oats
- tuna
- brown rice
- protein pasta (like Barilla)
- honey
- olive oil
- TVP
- cashews

Fridge:
- strawberries
- blueberries
- Fage greek yogurt
- some type of hard cheese
- Flatout wraps
- eggs
- cottage cheese
- frozen veggies (broccoli florets in particular)
- Morningstar Grillers

TheBabies
08-03-2008, 01:46 PM
My foods:
-- 94% fat free microwave popcorn (I buy a box of 48 bags of them at CostCo). I put garlic & parmesean cheese on it. Or chipotle chili powder and Splenda. Or Tobasco sauce (then it's like buffalo wings which I love)
-- water
-- ak mak crackers (five to a serving!)
-- WW vegatable soup
-- hot tea
-- salmon

SuchAPrettyFace
08-03-2008, 02:14 PM
Luna Bars
frozen fruit

JulieJ08
08-03-2008, 02:44 PM
Homemade minestrone or chili, made with lots of beans & veggies & crushed tomatoes (no meat). Big filling serving for around 250 calories, lots of fiber and nutrition. I make some every week, and eat some fresh, and freeze a serving. It's a fabulous back-up, and a favorite weekly item too. On days I have this, I'm always lower in calories without being hungry, even though I put parmesan or cheddar on it (full fat versions).

JulieJ08
08-03-2008, 02:46 PM
Also Sam's club frozen salmon fillets (individually wrapped). I make one of those every weekend, eat half, and have the other half in a salad the next day.

Jess8
08-03-2008, 02:51 PM
The 3 things that keep me on track and pack in tons of flavor:
1. Sugar free grape flavoring for my water bottles
2. Michelina's Lean Gourmet Buffalo-Style Chicken Snacks (like pizza rolls, so yummy and only 190 calories per serving
3. Pringles Baked Wheat Stix in Pizza flavor (only 100 calories and LOADS of flavor, great for snacks)

:hun:

Lyn2007
08-03-2008, 04:07 PM
Swimgirl! Wanna share that breakfast smoothie recipe? Sounds great!

Mine are:
kashi oat waffles
wasa crackers with laughing cow light
fresh fruits and veggies from the farmer's market, especially berries, melons, and greens of all kinds
onions and garlic for flavor
fresh wild salmon
chicken breasts
Veggie Burgers
Best Foods (Hellmans) Light Mayo (20 cal/T)
French's Spicy Brown mustard
Marie's light blue cheese dressing (omg yum)
iced green tea, all day long
light bisquick
skim milk
yoplait light yogurts
chocolate covered Altoids for a 5-calorie dessert
Chocolate Parfait Nips for an indugent 30-cal dessert
Franz 40-calorie wheat bread
Land o Lakes Light Butter with Canola Oil
Kraft 2% American singles
Pizza Flavor Blasted Goldfish crackers

Well that's enough for now, huh?

Redheaded I am
08-03-2008, 08:48 PM
~TJ's greek yogurt
~Kashi cereal (and TJ's version of Kashi cereal)
~fresh blueberries
~Hershey's light, no sugar added chocolate syrup
~TJ's fresh, bagged baby spinach
~lots of veggies and fruits!
~2% shredded cheese
~chicken breast
~lean chicken & turkey lunch meat
~ground turkey
~Ezekiel bread
~TJ's ww tortillas
~TJ's Harvest Grains (quinoa, chickpeas, couscous)
~brown rice
~Parmigiano Reggiano
~Wasa crackers (various varieties)
~Laughing Cow cheese
~TJ's 100-calorie dark chocolate bars
~popcorn kernels (I put a handful in a brown paper lunch bag and microwave it. Yummy!)

One of the biggest things for me is shopping at Trader Joe's. I also get as much of my fresh veggies and fruits (and fresh eggs!) as I can at local farmer's markets, then buy the rest at Sunflower market. I buy very little of my food at conventional grocery stores these days.

As a former die-hard morning iced coffee/frappucchino girl, I'm having a lot of success making my version at home. I treat myself to coffee beans from my all-time favorite (but out of state) roaster, then keep the coffee cold in the fridge. every morning I mix 1/4 cup (it's very strong) with 3/4 cup skim milk and 1 tablespoon light sugar-free chocolate syrup. I add ice, then sip it as I'm getting ready in the morning.

foxxy511
08-03-2008, 11:08 PM
~Sargento Light String Cheese (melted into a 1 egg omelette, mmm, so good)
~Low Sodium Bacon
~Yoplait Light yogurts
~Multigrain Cheerios
~Fat Free Ballpark hotdogs with wheat buns (I don't feel left out at cookouts if I bring one of these!)
~Subway (I work in the mall and it's the only good option in the food court!)
~Oregano
~Red Pepper Flake (spices up anything! even grilled cheese!)

Naytally
08-03-2008, 11:12 PM
Fiber One bars
Perdue Perfect Portions chicken breast
Minute brown rice
protein powder
water water WATER
8th Continent Lite Original Soymilk
100 calorie butter pecan ice cream bars from Blue Bunnie
Herbalife Tea (peach, light)
Healthy Life whole wheat bread

SwimGirl
08-04-2008, 01:23 AM
Lyn2007 - it is an amazing one!
-Blend 2 types of fruit, (I usually do a banana, and either strawberries, blueberries or pineapple, but do whatever fruit you like. ) 1/2 cup of 100% juice, and water to the top of the fruit.
-Grind 1 tbsp flax seeds, and add to fruit mixture. Add 2 cups greens, baby spinach is very yummy!
-Blend everything and drink up!

The smoothie is supposed to be great for digestion, and getting regular. I've noticed both, and its helped nearly all my tummy issues. Also, if you are still hungry, don't eat for at least 20 minutes afterwards. This smoothie was created by one of the first people to come up with the raw food diet, which really appeals to me. Phew! Long winded, sorry!

-Aimee

-Aimee

SunshineCA
08-04-2008, 01:26 AM
Salads have saved my life. :)

I always have salad ready to go and as my oldest son says, "Mom, you make salad out of anything." :lol:

GirlyGirlSebas
08-04-2008, 11:26 AM
Looking back over the last 1 1/2 years, I can say that my tastes change constantly. Here are my current faves:

1) Fresh mangos. Had my first one a month ago and I'm in love! I'd rather have a fresh mango than a bowl of ice cream.
2) Whole Wheat Couscous and Quinoa. I have an aspiring vegetarian daughter. The quinoa is quickly becoming a staple in our home. And the couscous is simply delicious.
3) Olive oil. We don't even buy Crisco or vegetable oil anymore.
4) Lite Smart Balance Spread and I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray. Just a touch of these products is delicious on any steamed veggies.
5) Roasted veggies. Yum Yum! I'm eating more veggies than ever before because roasted veggies taste so delicious. Also, our family is experimenting and trying new fresh fruits and veggies each week. Did you know that butternut squash is a truly yumm versatile veggie in stews, over pasta, on it's own with a touch of agave nectar and cinnamon? Did you know that fresh pineapple is as sweet as sugar?
6) Agave nectar - Its natural. Nothing more to say.:)
7) Steelcut oats - Super healthy and fills me up until noon. I've also noticed that my sugar cravings are less on the days I start off with my steelcut oats.
8) Greek yogurt - Oh my,oh my! So creamy and delicious.
9) Natural peanut butter - 1 tablespoon on a red delicious apple is my favorite "pick-me-up" snack.

Thank you, Beverly. This is fun!

Lyn2007
08-04-2008, 11:27 AM
SwimGirl, thank you! I saved the recipe and am gonna get myself some baby spinach to try it!

JulieJ08
08-04-2008, 12:08 PM
1) Fresh mangos. Had my first one a month ago and I'm in love! I'd rather have a fresh mango than a bowl of ice cream.
2) Whole Wheat Couscous and Quinoa. I have an aspiring vegetarian daughter. The quinoa is quickly becoming a staple in our home. And the couscous is simply delicious.
3) Olive oil. We don't even buy Crisco or vegetable oil anymore.
4) Lite Smart Balance Spread and I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray. Just a touch of these products is delicious on any steamed veggies.
5) Roasted veggies. Yum Yum! I'm eating more veggies than ever before because roasted veggies taste so delicious. Also, our family is experimenting and trying new fresh fruits and veggies each week. Did you know that butternut squash is a truly yumm versatile veggie in stews, over pasta, on it's own with a touch of agave nectar and cinnamon? Did you know that fresh pineapple is as sweet as sugar?
6) Agave nectar - Its natural. Nothing more to say.:)
7) Steelcut oats - Super healthy and fills me up until noon. I've also noticed that my sugar cravings are less on the days I start off with my steelcut oats.
8) Greek yogurt - Oh my,oh my! So creamy and delicious.
9) Natural peanut butter - 1 tablespoon on a red delicious apple is my favorite "pick-me-up" snack.

A hearty amen to every single one, except #4.

Smiling_Sara
08-05-2008, 02:35 PM
fruit
olives
frozen single serve veggies

Beverlyjoy
08-05-2008, 03:33 PM
Thanks everyone. I've gotten some great ideas!

Beverlyjoy
08-10-2008, 02:02 PM
Ok...I got some quinoa. I am not quite sure what to do with it!

SuchAPrettyFace
08-10-2008, 10:45 PM
Pour hot water over it & let it soak it up until it's about the consistency of brown rice or couscous. Or is that bulgur? :?:

I tried fat free Fage Greek yogurt the other day. OMG, so GOOD!!! But why so expensive? I would eat that every day for breakfast if I could afford it!!!

opimisticchick72
08-12-2008, 02:31 PM
mushrooms...currently i am using them in everything...last night i made a fake taco with sauteed mushrooms (no butter) and some black beans on a sm. corn tortilla... i know it sounds odd, the whole time i was very unsure up until the first bite...added some pico de gallo..alittle fake shredded cheese (VeggieShreds)..holy cow it worked, lol

amy

Sea
08-15-2008, 12:55 PM
Yoplait Light - 1/day
Bananas - 1/day
homemade veggie chilli
prepackaged single serve meals (on sale, within caloric limits)
Salsa

GirlyGirlSebas
08-15-2008, 01:29 PM
Beverly - Quinoa can take the place of rice in most recipes. Here is a way of using quinoa that was shared with me by a friend. I have tried this and it is very delish!

"Cook the Q per direction in vegetable broth
Dice fresh veggies very small--cuke, tomato, peppers, broccoli, whatever
mix well, top with Newman's Own Lighten Up Balsamic Vinaigrette (not spell checking, though I know it is wrong). Mix well, serve chilled."

I've also tossed in some black olives and feta for a mediterranean taste and it was really good.

Redheaded I am
08-15-2008, 02:05 PM
I tried fat free Fage Greek yogurt the other day. OMG, so GOOD!!! But why so expensive? I would eat that every day for breakfast if I could afford it!!!

Do you have a Trader Joe's near you? Their house brand fat-free Greek Yogurt is sooooo yummy. They have Fage as well, but the TJ's brand is much cheaper. My only complaint is that the biggest container only contains 2 cups, so I have to buy a bunch of containers at once. But that's minor.

valpal23
08-15-2008, 04:54 PM
I live in an isolated town in northern manitoba... so all we've got is a safeway, extra foods and shopper's drug mart when it comes to options for food.

BUT I found luna bars at my safeway! and organic plain nuts at shoppers. Bananas really help me stay on plan, as well as hot salsa and laughing cow cheese cubes (13 cals per cube.. and come in 3 flavours.. green pepper, roasted tomato.. and ham??) but I love to use a cube on toast or on sandwiches. or salads. love those laughing cow 'party cubes'

Pandora123a
08-15-2008, 05:03 PM
Greek yogurt. I buy the Fage brand with honey...it comes in a little side pocket. I have about half the honey included...it is my breakfast treat!

Fresh fruit...I really indulge. Cherries...plums...nectarines...clementines.

Almonds and walnuts. Crunchy and delicious!

Kasha (not the cereal, the real thing.) I like it with a little bit of bow tie pasta mixed in and I use chicken soup rather than water. Very filling, delicious, and reheats beautifully. Sometimes that becomes dinner all by itself!

Hot tea with sweetener...I guess it isn't a real food but it has become "dessert" for me after many a meal, particularly in restaurants. Dessert is actually starting to seem too gooey and rich...but a lovely cup of hot tea! Delicious!

JulieJ08
08-15-2008, 05:17 PM
Do you have a Trader Joe's near you? Their house brand fat-free Greek Yogurt is sooooo yummy. They have Fage as well, but the TJ's brand is much cheaper. My only complaint is that the biggest container only contains 2 cups, so I have to buy a bunch of containers at once. But that's minor.

And I swear I *never* get 4 full 1/2c servings out of it, and I do measure carefully.

PenChick
08-15-2008, 06:09 PM
I have never tried Greek yogurt (i do love yogurt) what's the difference between it and regular yogurt?

My favorite foods right now are(all organic):
eggs (i didnt know until recently that they are supposed to keep you fuller longer!)
almonds
granola bars
fruit strips
broccolli (my favorite veggie)
spinach (okay, my other favorite veggie)
I love quinoa (but my sis hates it so i dont make it)
strawberrys N cream yogurt (whole milk and so creamy) *sigh*

I havent really been able to really add fruit to my meal plans. Organic fruit is so expensive that it never fits in my budget. But I did recently try cauliflower for the first time ever. It was okay and i think i may eat it more often.

mollymom
08-15-2008, 06:32 PM
Ok...I got some quinoa. I am not quite sure what to do with it!
Great quinoa recipe..high fiber, low fat, terrific taste, great nutrients

Tomato/Black Bean/Corn and Quinoa Salad

2 tsp lime zest
2 tbsp lime juice
3 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp sugar or splenda
1-2 cups quinoa OR couscous cooked
I can black beans drained and rinsed
1 pint cherry tomatoes halved
1 cup corn..TJ's roasted corn is great or just thawed niblets or fresh cut off the cob after steaming or roasting
4 green onions chopped
1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
salt and pepper

Whisk together the lime zest, juice, oil and sugar and a little pepper. Fold in cooked couscous or quinoa, toss thoroughly. Stir in remaining ingredients and S and P to taste. Fast easty delish!

mollymom
08-15-2008, 06:36 PM
Having read these posts, I can only believe that some of you have discovered the wonderful book SuperFoods RX by Dr. Stephen Pratt. There are two more Superfoods Healthstyle and the Superfoods Diet. You are already eating so many of them: spinach, oats, turkey, salmon, yogurt, berries. They are NOT diet books. If you are interested I wrote about them in my blog Fifty by Fifty and the page is called Three BOoks that changed my life!:D I got the first one at the library and borrowed it repeatedly until they kind of gently suggested I might want to buy my own copy. Every person who has bought it on my recommendation say it is the BEST book on nutritional, delicious eating they have ever read. NORMAL food for NORMAL people..just terrifically good for you.

karens losing it
08-15-2008, 07:46 PM
Thank you ladies. I am one of the newbies and need all the ideas I can get. The recipes are great too. I need to add new ones to my list.

carinna
08-15-2008, 08:03 PM
Cereal (for my sweet tooth), goldfish crackers (for my salt cravings) and turkey bacon (well, just cuz it's goooooood). :D

luckymommy
08-15-2008, 08:10 PM
Flame grilled Boca burgers
La Tortilla Factory low carb tortillas (only 50 calories & tons of fiber)
frozen grapes!!!
organic egg white cartons
protein bars...I keep them around for when I don't have time for anything else

SuchAPrettyFace
08-16-2008, 04:24 PM
Do you have a Trader Joe's near you? Their house brand fat-free Greek Yogurt is sooooo yummy. They have Fage as well, but the TJ's brand is much cheaper. My only complaint is that the biggest container only contains 2 cups, so I have to buy a bunch of containers at once. But that's minor.We don't. The TJ's here (we finally got one!) is on the North side of Milwaukee, not gas-friendly to drive there. They will never have one in our county, because the largest grocery store chain is HQ'd here. It was a long fight before we finally got Aldi's here.

PenChick, the one I had tasted just like sour cream. I ate it plain & it was delicious. :T

mollymom
08-16-2008, 05:45 PM
I live in canada but right across the river from Michigan. I sometimes get to the Trader Joe's in Grosse Pointe. Someone mentioned Aldi's..there is one in Port Huron..what kind of store are they? I have seen it but never been inside..always looking for new stuff in the USA grocery stores..much better selection than we have!

Beverlyjoy
08-17-2008, 08:56 AM
Thanks Rhonda, Such a Pretty Face and mollymom for the ideas to use with quinoa. I will give it a try soon.

Beverlyjoy
08-17-2008, 09:31 AM
Mollymom - we had a thread about Aldi's last month. Here's the link:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147218

I really like Aldi's. Not a huge selection - great prices. Here is what folks said.

Beverlyjoy
08-24-2008, 09:43 AM
I forgot to mention this:

Tic Tacs - 1.9 calories each

It will often cure a sweet craving.

Iconoclast at Large
08-24-2008, 12:56 PM
I'm really new to this forum, but I wanted to share some of the tips I've learned in my few days here. First of all, I'm diabetic, so I have two goals in mind -- lose weight and lower my blood glucose levels.

Egg Beaters -- awesome! Zero fat and zero cholestrol.
Canadian Bacon -- was so sad to be without bacon and sausage, so Canadian Bacon filled that void for 2 grams of fat per serving! (instead of 14 and 20, respectively)
Campbells Select Healthy Recipe Italian Wedding Soup -- Unspeakably delicious and low in calories, sodium, carbohydrates, fat -- and it's filling!

I finally learned to remove most starches (bread, potatoes, pasta, rice) because it makes my glucose skyrocket. So, I make asparagus, green beans, mushrooms, with onion and garlic. This one change to my diet had a huge impact on my glucose numbers.

I'm so happy to be here! I feel like I can finally do it now! You are all such an inspiration and -- today I was down one more pound! 21 total and a ton more to go, but I'm psyched!

SuchAPrettyFace
08-24-2008, 02:18 PM
I live in canada but right across the river from Michigan. I sometimes get to the Trader Joe's in Grosse Pointe. Someone mentioned Aldi's..there is one in Port Huron..what kind of store are they? I have seen it but never been inside..always looking for new stuff in the USA grocery stores..much better selection than we have!

This is something I forgt to say in the other thread, but for many many years we did not have Aldi's here in Wisconsin. Our grocery stores (Schultz, Roundy's) are union & they did not want a non-union business coming here. Sometime in the 90's this changed & Kenosha got its first Aldi's, my city got one about 5-6 years ago.

The kind of store they are? Deep discount. I remember in the 80's hearing about people making treks to Waukegan/Zion to go to the Aldi's from Kenosha. The prices were so much cheaper that it was a once a month thing to stock up on pantry items for a lot of the mothers in our neighborhood.

They don't have a whole lot of brand name things, but their prices are unbeatable. The produce you should use within 3 days. I love their fresh spinach, provolone & muenster cheeses, milk, frozen salmon filets, and if you're a baker, they have all those things, too. And canned goods, cleaning products, just about everything. I still usually need a trip to Pick N Save though to get some of the things I need (low sodium).

You have to bring your own bags, or use boxes you find in the store. They charge a quarter for their carts, but you get it back for returning it to the cart corral next to the front door.

In other news, my grocery store has FAGE on sale this week!!! That they even have it to begin with is nice, but on sale? Sweet!!! :dance:

luvja
08-24-2008, 02:49 PM
thanks for the great ideas ladies

Beverlyjoy
09-04-2008, 12:50 PM
I went to Trader Joe's today and got some of their Greek Yogurt! Yum! Thanks for suggesting it, folks.

S.A.S.H
09-05-2008, 02:09 PM
GREAT Thread!!! :woohoo:

I am soooo going to try the oatmeal honey peanutbutter mix! I love oatmeal but not plain, and if you add milk, sugar and/or butter the calories just get too high, so I've quit eating it. I'm so excited I'm having it tonight :yummy:

I can't live without yogurt. I love Yoplait thick and creamy light, especially the key lime pie flavor!

I also live on fruit, WW string cheese and white rice. I just can't get into whole grain or brown. Maybe Ill try this quineoa stuff you are all talking about. :lol:

Beverlyjoy
09-15-2008, 08:12 AM
I found another goodie that is my 'new love' for a daily latte. I got some General Food International Coffee Suisse Mocha - It's sugar free and caffeine free and only 30 calories.

Beverlyjoy
10-08-2008, 05:07 AM
My latest 'love' is whole wheat egg noodles - I like them with ICBINBS and parm cheese.

Also, I got some turkey pepperoni while I was at my sister's. We made mini pizza's on lite english muffins. Yum.

Beverlyjoy
10-24-2008, 08:02 AM
We have lots of new folks here....I am bringing this up again because it just might help them.

Jolie4me
10-24-2008, 09:10 AM
Edamame

Pandora123a
10-25-2008, 07:33 AM
My latest is baked potatoes, particularly the skins. After I bake a potato, I remove the entire contents, leaving only a very very thin layer. Then I broil the skin for 3-5 minutes.

I eat the contents for dinner (or part of them.) The skin is for dessert! I love them. I'm trying to reduce meat, and this becomes most of my dinner. If you want, you could probably add a small piece of cheese or some chives.

Sometimes I cook garlic cloves and mash them into the potato, if you use the elephant garlic you won't smell like garlic.

cfmama
10-25-2008, 12:25 PM
"Campbells Select Healthy Recipe Italian Wedding Soup -- Unspeakably delicious and low in calories, sodium, carbohydrates, fat -- and it's filling!"

BEST FREAKING SOUP EVER!!!!!!! that is all. lol!

Beverlyjoy
01-06-2009, 02:07 PM
I am bumping this thread up because there are lots of newbies...and this might help.

gina1221
01-06-2009, 02:56 PM
Thanks for bumping... it's good to have a look at again for those of us that have been around here for awhile also.

Here are my current staples/favs:

- McCann's Steel Cut Oats
- Fit & Active Natural Trail Mix (Aldi)
- Sargento Light String Cheese
- Sargento Pepper Jack Cheese Slices
- Blue Diamond Almond Breeze
- Vitalicious VitaTop Muffins - Deep Chocolate & Banana Nut (100 cals each)
- Thomas' Light English Muffins
- Gnu Foods Fiber Bars - Orange Cranberry
- Sesame Oil (a little goes a long way)
- Asparagus
- Mushrooms
- Onions (red, white, yellow, green)
- Peppers (green, red)
- Organic Eggs
- Fit & Active Multigrain Frozen Waffles (Aldi)
- Trader Joe's Better'n Butter (peanut butter)
- Kashi Heart to Heart Cereal

karenjude
01-06-2009, 06:05 PM
Thanks for bumping this -I got some great new ideas. Tea helps me too - especially the different types my favorite is chai tea from Celestial. I tried their gingerbread tea for Christmas - not sure if this is out all year but it was wonderful.

cfmama
01-06-2009, 09:23 PM
Sprouted grain breads
wasa bread
100 calorie popcorn packs
natural peanut butter
raw nuts

RN BSN 2009
01-06-2009, 09:24 PM
sweet potatoes are a new discovery for me too. 10 cracked pecans and a teaspoon of splenda brown sugar blends.. YUM!

Badgerette
01-06-2009, 10:22 PM
Starting my day out with a serving of almonds and either grapefruit juice or pomagranite juice keeps me on track.

wickky
01-06-2009, 10:22 PM
Subway sandwiches:cp:
Steamer bags of veggies
Jello Fat-free, Sugar free pudding cups
Steamed baby carrots
Healthy Choice soup
Sugar-Free Hot Chocolate by Swiss-Miss
Fresh Fruit of any kind

onestar
01-06-2009, 11:03 PM
some things that i usually eat are:

toasted bread
apples
popcorn
water
chicken

i know kinda boring but it works for me

Beverlyjoy
09-15-2009, 04:22 PM
I just remembered this post from way back & I wanted to get some new ideas. Plus,I wanted to add this to the list:

Smart Balance Lite Margerine - no trans fats and tastes good (Dr. Oz says it's a good one, too.)

Beverlyjoy
01-22-2010, 07:44 AM
It's been a long time since I've seen this thread. It's always helpful - especially for the newbee's.

paris81
01-22-2010, 09:42 AM
BIG salads--as long as I measure the olive oil for the dressing, I can eat a HUGE amount of food for almost no calories, and absolutly no guilt, because it's all super good for me!

Morningstar "bacon"--just tasty and filling for breakfast

Skinny Cow ice cream--because it tastes like normal ice cream, and the portion size is the size of a normal ice cream bar, so it doesn't at all feel low fat, low cal.

Beverlyjoy
10-03-2010, 07:53 AM
I thought I'd bump this up again. It's been a while.

I'd like to add Jello Sugar Free Dark Chocolate pudding. I like to put it in the freezer and it tastes like dark chocoate ice cream.

Rosinante
10-03-2010, 08:51 AM
Fresh strawberries, and king prawns.

When I was growing up, both these were way to expensive to have often or in large amounts. My favourite breakfast, snack, dessert is sliced strawberries with Onken low fat set yogurt, sprinkled with oats, ground flaxseed, cocoa powder and 1 tsp sugar. mmmmmm

For some reason, all our supermarkets are selling king prawns at "half price" (allegedly) - the whole pack comes in at around 100 calories; I toss them in mayo and eat on bitter leaves. It still hasn't got dull yet!

cincimini
10-03-2010, 09:15 AM
Almost everything I eat has been mentioned... except..

Organic grapes, kept in the fridge, so that they are a little crunchy.. soo good!

I haven't read through all of the great posts, but I saw this and had to add this idea:

Instead of just keeping your grapes in the fridge, try freezing them. When I feel the need for a sugary snack, I grab a handful of them - they are delicious!!!

Also, I need to figure out a way to get some ICBINB spray back to Germany when I travel to the US. I love that stuff, but you can't get it this side of the pond. Thanks for all your great ideas though - I find a lot of my favorite OP foods on here, especially snap peas. I flash-fry them with a spritz of olive oil and then add a tbsp of balsamic vinegar - it caramelizes and almost tastes like honey. Goes perfect with grilled chicken or fish!

saram
10-03-2010, 10:06 AM
lots and lots of fruit
Better N Peanut Butter - so yummy!!
egg whites
turkey - ground and roasted
Boca Soy crumbles
water
the flat sandwich round things - any brand
laughing cow cheese
tofu noodles
humus

ubergirl
10-03-2010, 11:13 AM
Cracker Barrel reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese single serving packs
sliced cukes with rice wine vinegar and salt.
Stride Sweet Mint Gum (tastes like York Peppermint patties)
Mashed carrots with garlic and cumin.
Almond Butter

RhondaLynn
10-03-2010, 11:15 AM
Eggs!

Oboegal
10-03-2010, 04:08 PM
Probably my oddest snack is frozen peas. And, when I say frozen, I mean frozen. I pour a cup of peas into a measuring cup, and I munch them right out of the cup. It's about 100 calories, it's filling, it has a good amount of fiber, and I like the taste. If I get to the end of a day and I'm hungry after eating my whole calorie allotment, sometimes I'll "borrow" 100 calories from the next day to have a cup of peas, and things work out fine.

stacygee
10-03-2010, 07:52 PM
I eat peanut butter or brownie crunch THINK THIN bars for breakfast every morning. It is 20g of protein and 0g sugar. But they help my sweet tooth b/c they are like a candy bar. Sometimes I go to bed hungry and lay there thinking if I just go to sleep it will hurry up and be morning and I can have my Think Thin bar!

Stacy

annputation
10-03-2010, 09:52 PM
I like to make big pots of low fat/calorie/sodium soups. I fill it up with veggies and a choice of coconut milk, miso, chicken, or beans.

SunshineTater
10-03-2010, 10:24 PM
I would probably do the frozen peas...just never tried it. Peas are something that i only like cold :)

They probably aren't great for me, but when I'm craving a candy bar, I grab a Sweet and Salty Nut Almond bar. Mmmm...

Salsa is another thing I find myself eating a lot of. Walmart has a fresh one in the produce section -it's garlic/chipotle. I eat it on everything....salsa and rice, salsa and eggs, salsa and pita chips, salsa and chicken....I like it.

aaronandtara
10-04-2010, 12:46 AM
I eat raw cauliflower like crazy.I love the crunchiness of it and it can really fill you up.

I also love:
tabouleh
100 calorie packs of Mr Salty choc covered pretzels
steamed baby carrots
100 calorie sandwich thins bread
alfalfa sprouts
baked apples stuffed with cinnamon, equal, and dates
Werthers hard candies
real fruit popsicles
sushi
low fat string cheese
hard boiled egg whites

krampus
10-04-2010, 01:13 AM
Bok choy. It takes so long to chew and eat!

I see lots of amazingly delicious snacky foods on here - I'm one of those people who finds it harder to stop eating than to eat nothing at all, so I make a rule not to keep anything snackable in the house, ever.

KatMarie
10-04-2010, 02:02 PM
After reading this thread, I tried the oatmeal with a little spoonful of natural peanut butter and honey....omg, soooooo good! Also, last night, froze a snack pack of sugar free pudding...mmmmm. So good, it felt like cheating. :-)

Clementine
10-05-2010, 05:53 AM
This is a fabulous thread!

Just tried oatmeal with natural peanut butter and honey. Loved it!

Planning on buying and preparing quinoa for the first time.

ValRock
10-05-2010, 06:07 AM
Eggs!
Cottage cheese
Salad Greens
Vinegar
Chicken Breasts
Pepperocinis
Pickles
Apples
Oranges
Various frozen veggies to steam up

That about covers it for now :D. I'm in a food rut but I'm not sick of this stuff yet so it's all good.

Justwant2Bhealthy
10-05-2010, 07:22 PM
I use many of the same things already listed here but would add Chocolate Yogurt Ice Cream (only 90 cals/half cup); Source Yogurts (35 cals); dried apricots; sweet cherries; 110 cal granola bars with N/peanut butter on top; Babybell cheese; whole grain soda crackers (only 13 cals each); baby cukes; baby dills (3 for only 5 cals); pumpkin custard; piles of roasted veggies & salads of all kinds; homemade Soups; pot & pearl Barley; Turkey Pepperettes/bites; BBQ Spit Chicken; fresh & baked fruit like Apples & Rhubarb with cinnamon & Splenda brown sugar mix ...

spixiet
10-05-2010, 08:11 PM
I'm also a big fan of oatmeal with peanut butter (although I add sugar free syrup and cinnamon)...but right now I've been adding a few tablespoons of pumpkin and lots of cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves and some salt and splenda...like pumpkin pie in a bowl :)

Also on my list:
-sugar free raspberry jello made with diet ginger ale replacing at least half of the water.
-cottage cheese
-fresh melon in the summer and fall
-la tortilla factory whole wheat low carb tortillas
-turkey smoked sausage or keilbasa
-turkey pepperoni microwaved for about a minute so that they get crispy and chip-like
-cocoa roasted almonds! delicious :D
-bake-dried apple chips
-Wendy's chili
-Wendy's half portion chicken apple pecan salad
-Already cooked chicken strips to make a quick quesadilla with reduced fat cheese...and sometimes some spinach thrown in...with tons of fresh salsa
-fiber powder to add to my coffe
-Coffeemates sugar free vanilla caramel coffee creamer
-Jimmy Dean D'Lites breakfast sandwiches - the ones with the 100% whole wheat bagel
-GUM!!!

TracyC
10-24-2010, 05:23 PM
I love the PB2 powdered peanut butter. Has a fraction of the fat and 1/4 of the calories of regular peanut butter. They have a regular and chocolate flavor--both are great. You mix 2 tbsps of powder with 1 tbsp water and it reconstitutes to a peanut butter texture. My weakness is apple slices with peanut butter, and a double batch of PB2 (4 tbsps) has 1/2 the calories of a 2 tbsp serving of the real thing. I can slather it on the apple slices and not feel guilty. It has helped me lose a few pounds and fit into a smaller pair of jeans this month.

You can get this product at the manufacturer, Bell Plantation, or cheaper w/lower shipping at Netrition online.

This is one of the few "diet" products that has ever exceeded my expectations. I even have my mother hooked on it now.

katy trail
10-24-2010, 05:34 PM
this is what i'm talk about people. i have to focus on all the great food we CAN have!

onherweighdown
10-24-2010, 06:36 PM
-quaker sweet chili rice cakes. omgg yummm. they're more like chips to me!
-sugar free pudding cups
-McD's fruit n yogurt parfaits
-yoplaits
-mandarin oranges
-clementines
-chocolate rice cakes spread with naturally more peanut butter
-fiber 1 bars
-lean cuisine steamers in the bag (sometimes I WAKE UP thinking about the mushroom tortellini one. It's soooo good and only 280 calories)
-cheese sticks
-green grapes
-veggie delight sandwiches from subway
-sunchips

Beverlyjoy
01-10-2011, 01:24 PM
I thought I would bump this up. We have many new folks here. It is helpful, I think.

Jen516
01-10-2011, 05:27 PM
Foods that helped me lose 50lb...

string cheese
apples
dark chocolate M&Ms
Lil' Drums ice cream
wasa crackers
almonds
frozen veggies (especially broccoli and green beans, but also corn and peas.)
deli meat - ham and turkey
small corn tortillas (one at a time!)
spinach
sweet potato
baby carrots
hummus
tomato
salsa
tomato soup
light popcorn
lemon juice
red pepper flakes
really good balsalmic vinegar
SHARP cheddar
rice cakes
almond butter
water
water
water :D

And when I'm in a fast food mentality...
Wendy's Apple Pecan Chicken Salad (no dressing)
McDonald's Ice Cream Cone
Subway salad or sandwich
Jack in the Box Chicken Fajita Pita

saram
01-10-2011, 07:28 PM
Sugar Free Chocolate Pudding - it is sooooo good!!!!!

Trazey34
01-10-2011, 08:35 PM
* eating breakfast - and not a muffin LOL I eat a bowl of cereal every morning, and when i get to work i have a bit spoon of cottage cheese and a piece of fruit
* i take my lunch to work most days. Eating out 4 days a week at work helped me pack on a ton of weight
* quinoa - i adore this stuff!! it's replaced rice in my life, i'm not even sure if it's as good for you as everyone says lol but i love it!
* pretty much stop eating around 8 pm - after dinner and a cup of tea and a biscuit, the kitchen is closed
* a meal out is a chance to be with my friends, NOT to see how much cheese and sour cream i can consume in 1 sitting
* the biggest thing I've learned is that NO ONE ELSE CARES what i eat! stuff i used to eat out of 'politeness' or to 'fit in' is bollocks - no one cares, i control what goes in my gullet -- and i'm funny about it not a militant **** - nothing worse than the food police bringing everyone down!

howellbe
01-15-2011, 01:15 PM
Fiber One bars
Perdue Perfect Portions chicken breast
Minute brown rice
protein powder
water water WATER
8th Continent Lite Original Soymilk
100 calorie butter pecan ice cream bars from Blue Bunnie
Herbalife Tea (peach, light)
Healthy Life whole wheat bread

Oh my gosh I totally second the 8th Continent Lite Original Soymilk--its the lowest calorie soymilk I can find, but the one place in my town that carried it (walmart, oddly, not even the health food store has it) has stopped! Jerks.

DukeGirl30
01-18-2011, 11:34 AM
Spaghetti squash, Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches, Oikos Greek Yogurt, Ground Turkey, oatmeal

Beverlyjoy
02-20-2012, 08:54 AM
I like to look at this every once in a while. Sometimes, it gives me new ideas or different things to try.

Beverlyjoy
02-12-2013, 05:57 PM
With new folks here... I thought I'd bump this up again.