Weight Loss Support - How do you react to a weight gain??

bunny43
08-02-2008, 09:47 AM
Very curious to know what your first reaction is to a weight gain?? Do you cry? Laugh? Throw the scale at the window. :)

What I do is immediately tell myself to increase exercise and decrease food intake as a goal for the upcoming week. Other than that, I don't adjust my lifestyle to much.

I think the only time I shed a tear or two is when an unexpected gain happens. Otherwise I take the good with the bad.

Please share with me your actions and reactions to weight gains.

Thanks so much....gail

Spoz
08-02-2008, 10:11 AM
I start to feel incredibly hopeless. And then I decided enough is enough and plan, wait a few days (because its sometimes only fluctuation)

fiberlover
08-02-2008, 10:24 AM
I think of gains much differently now than I used to.
I realize that they aren't the end of the world. I get irritated if the gain is unexplainable, but I also know that those are just temporary fluctuations.

If I gain because I don't have good control of my food, then the gain confirms that fact and I use it to get myself back into control.

I don't think you can get through the journey without those periods where the scale goes up. Many people use these as an excuse to give up, or beat themselves up instead of as a tool to get focused again.

Apple Cheeks
08-02-2008, 11:01 AM
I think of gains much differently now than I used to.
I realize that they aren't the end of the world. I get irritated if the gain is unexplainable, but I also know that those are just temporary fluctuations.

If I gain because I don't have good control of my food, then the gain confirms that fact and I use it to get myself back into control.

I don't think you can get through the journey without those periods where the scale goes up. Many people use these as an excuse to give up, or beat themselves up instead of as a tool to get focused again.

I agree 100%

For me, most of the time a gain is from a huge binge or when I've fallen off track for a few days or so.

As I mentioned in another thread, nowadays I just sigh, accept it, and then do something about it. Most of the time that means just getting back to eating right and working out again. I know that the weight will come back off as long as I don't throw in the towel and just give up completely.

Someone else on 3FC once wisely compared it to having a flat tire, then getting so angry about it that you immediately slash the other three. Makes no sense when you look at it that way!

So I guess you could say that I'm more accepting of temporary gains. I know I'll have them, but I also know I can get past them, too. It's not the end of the world, and not a reason to give up. :)

s0nali
08-02-2008, 11:48 AM
Usually I know when it's going to happen.
If I think I've been good, I will review my Fitday and figure out what went wrong. That is how I found out that granola is NOT a healthy snack!

If it looks like water weight, then it probably is. I just keep in mind that it's the trend that is important, not just the number I see today.

I've started weighing every day (same time in the morning) so I can more accurately follow the trend. If it keeps going down, I'm doing well. More important than the scale is my knowledge whether or not I have made good choices the day or week before. And that I know even without looking at the scale. All the scale is, is checks and balances.

sh3l5
08-02-2008, 12:24 PM
i plan to work harder the next week in order to loose mroe....
i hate gains especially when i have been working hard all week....

lilukay
08-02-2008, 03:44 PM
If it's unexpected, I just think "that CAN'T be right!" And then I do something to fix it.

If I knew it was coming, I sigh, feel down for a bit, and then remember that this is a journey, and it's going to take more than one slip up to keep me down.

Taurie
08-02-2008, 03:48 PM
When I put on 4 lbs over night I know it's because of all the carbs I ate the night before... so I become more careful about my diet the following days. I weigh myself everyday to keep me accountable.

ghost
08-02-2008, 03:52 PM
I take what the scale says with a grain of salt. I focus on more tangable ways of measuring my success, literally, I measure myself weekly. I can see a gain yet I'm still shrinking. Usually that is a good thing if I've been staying within my calories, doing my cardio and lifing weights it means I'm gaining muscle not fat. I also avoid really salty processed foods becasue water weight gain is something that will not only make me feel bloated but show a gain on the scale.

vikkivma
08-02-2008, 04:04 PM
I sigh and tell myself I just have to be really good that day.

Iconised Ghost
08-02-2008, 04:55 PM
i hate it, i get upset, angry, depressed, especially if i have been trying really hard that week. Then i try and use it as motivation for the next week

bananapancakes
08-03-2008, 12:46 PM
Depends if the gain is fat or muscle. If I have been away for a weekend for instance and eaten not so healthy meals and not worked out and I weigh myself and the scale is up a little, I feel bummed out and annoyed with myself.

If it's a muscle gain I get stoked! I know if it's a muscle gain if I've been eating extremely healthy and busting my butt at the gym daily and swimming.

vixjean
08-03-2008, 12:53 PM
I usually don't take it hard, I have never been shocked by my weight on the scale. The scale is just telling me what I told my body to do. I will get a little happy or sad when I see a - or +, but overall I am not DRASTIC with my weight loss or gains, dieting or working out.

CousinRockingChair
08-04-2008, 05:36 AM
I don't think anyone can gain muscle in a week. it takes a long *** time to gain muscle.

I cry when I gain

bananapancakes
08-04-2008, 10:37 PM
I don't think anyone can gain muscle in a week. it takes a long *** time to gain muscle.

I disagree and I never said anything about a week time period anyway.

Lyria
08-04-2008, 10:58 PM
Yes, my body tends to gain muscle very quickly as well. Sometimes its a little annoying! I started a new weights program about 6 weeks ago - have been eating the same (maybe a higher protein ratio) - and have gained a solid 1.5kgs. No difference in clothes fit just a lot of toning up and being able to to run uphill a lot lot easier!

I think that aspect depends on the individual.

As for the question - I don't like gains...I tend to get quite upset and then promise myself I'll behave more lol.

Blue Serenity
08-04-2008, 11:06 PM
i hate it, i get upset, angry, depressed, especially if i have been trying really hard that week. Then i try and use it as motivation for the next week

yeah that

EDIT: Ah! Just saw this ... http://3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13

bananapancakes
08-04-2008, 11:25 PM

Actually after some research it seems that the most you would be able to gain is 1.5 lbs in a week tops. So I guess I was somewhat over estimating.

BoopRN
08-04-2008, 11:37 PM
I feel disappointed and annoyed at myself. I also try to step on the scale over and over again in hopes that its a mistake. Once I know it isn't then I feel even worse and try to look back at what I did to make this happen. When its TOM I expect some weight gain, and it really annoys me more. errrr!

newbebop
08-05-2008, 07:03 AM
I came here! ;-)

for me it depends on how things have been going. when I am on track and it is just the fluctuation that I get from time to time, I can deal with it better than the 10lbs :mad: I have packed on since falling off the wagon (and been drug behind it) for the last couple of months! I have changed the profile and putting that 2 instead of a 1 in front of the lbs was a brutal realization that I have to stop this craziness and get back to business. I am off to the grocery store today!!!

betsy

Hat Trick
08-05-2008, 07:30 AM
No one likes it when the scale bounces up, especially when you've been OP w/everything. One of life's mysteries as to why this happens. :) Then again, there is always the other side of the coin -- unexpected loss when you haven't exactly been OP or doing everything you can. :shrug:

Fluctuations are part of losing weight; they go hand in hand. Not letting a gain -- or a loss for that matter -- send you noshing out of frustration or celebration is a real bugger for me. Coming here, posting, refocusing, looking at my goals, reading my mantra (under my username) no surrender, no retreat, saying 'no' to the next temptation (especially when that temptation is at night -- feels great the next morning when I've stayed OP :D) -- anything to stay on track.

flabbyblue
08-05-2008, 10:25 AM
I used to react to unexpected gain by dumping whatever diet I was on and pitying myself, convincing myself the weight loss efforts were pointless.

THAT is how I yo-yo'd my sweet self up to 245 pounds.

But just today, I gained back 4 pounds after a 5 day vacation...I dont know yet how "permanent" that weight is, given I weighed myself as soon as I stepped off the plane, but this time, I just felt more resolved, nearly calm, because now I know how to get straight back on track.

asaaan
08-05-2008, 10:47 AM
I say a bad word at the scale and then blame the gain on the water I just drank :)

Apple Cheeks
08-05-2008, 07:15 PM
But just today, I gained back 4 pounds after a 5 day vacation...I dont know yet how "permanent" that weight is, given I weighed myself as soon as I stepped off the plane, but this time, I just felt more resolved, nearly calm, because now I know how to get straight back on track.

This is pretty much how I react nowadays, too.

As for your 4 lbs: My experience is that it'll come off pretty quick. I gained 10 lbs in about a week and a half on vacation, and it all came back off within a week of me getting back on track.*

Thanks goodness! :D

(*Note: your results may vary!;))

lovnmom
08-06-2008, 09:01 AM
I track my weight every morning. Having the info helps me decipher the "why" of a gain and I can move on pretty quick w/o getting upset.

midwife
08-06-2008, 09:12 AM
I have not had a true gain with my latest efforts. I weigh each day and can predict within 1/2 pound what my next day's weigh in will be---for good or for bad. Two days after I lift weights, I will weigh 1.5 pounds more than my low for the week. I tend to get my weekly lows on Thursdays. When I have a free day, I know the scale the next am will be up 3-4 pounds. This last week I had a free day on Saturday and then made some choices on Monday that I might not usually make---these two days gave me a cumulative spike of 5.5 pounds on Tuesday morning. This was not a true gain, and if I was not a daily weigher, I might have been very upset and discouraged, wondering how 2 days off plan could make me gain 5.5 pounds. Since I am a daily weigher, I knew that sticking to plan perfectly yesterday would clear a lot of those pounds, and I was right. 4 of them are gone this am.

As for long term maintenance, I have a red line and if my weight begins creeping up toward it (and cannot be explained by water retention), then I will respond by going back to weight loss basics.

ladybugnessa
08-06-2008, 09:15 AM
i dont' do anything.. fluctuations are normal.

i record it. note what i ate and did the day before for record keeping purposes and keep going....

now i have to admit i've had tears of joy at new lows that i've seen (that the next day are gone just as fleetingly as a gain)....

but tears over a gain... naw....

maybe it's the fact that I suffer IBS and that can really impact (pardon the pun) my weight....

FlabbyHarry
08-06-2008, 04:59 PM
A gain could be anything sooo i just take it as it is,, i only weigh myself once a week so that can avoid fluctuaions a little be,, well obv it doesnt avoid them, it avoids me seeing them tho :L haha, but if i havent weighed myself in ages n i have gained a lil more than a few pounds, i must admit, i am extremly dispointed in myself :( shame on me , hehehe xo

cornellchick
08-06-2008, 05:16 PM
If it's a gain I wasn't expecting, I feel frustrated but just use it as motivation to stay well on plan. If it's a gain I WAS expecting, I don't let it get me down (since I knew it was coming) - regardless of what is responsible, e.g. water weight, TOM, or a delicious night out. (If it was a delicious night out I remind myself of how I enjoyed it - and how such events seem so much nicer and tastier when they come less frequently, and I keep it that way!)

I find it easier not to worry about gains so much since I am getting close to my goal. I feel better and I think I look better. So with all these happy vibes in my life, I don't let a little bit of temporary weight gain get me down - I just resolve to jump back on plan with new determination! :D

ginny
08-06-2008, 07:16 PM
Well, today I blithely made sure there were feminine products in my purse and scrambled to work. Then I realized it was still a week and a half away :mad:

So tonight I'm getting back into the former exercise program I've been lapsing on. This shall not stand! (or wiggle and wobble).

Annita
08-06-2008, 07:42 PM
a week ago, I stepped on my scale and it said I gained 6 lbs. The first reaction was : O.O and then a scream "NOOOOOO". After that, I calmed down and knew what's wrong (TOM FYI), so yes... lol. Anyways, that's my reaction.
But if I figure that it's my fault for gaining weight and not because of TOM, i'll remind myself "eat less, exercise more". That's always been my way. Tho, I don't weight myself often, unless I feel really bloated.

Bonita Applebaum
08-11-2008, 11:24 AM
I usually blame the scale! :D

Like: "Oh, something must be off!" It's funny because when the scale reflects that I've lost weight it's always right on, lol.

JulieJ08
08-11-2008, 01:16 PM
I guess it would depend on the situation. Today I had my first weekly weigh with a gain. Last Monday I weighed 164.5 and today 166. 164-165 during the week. I know it's not an actual fat gain. Some measurements went down. Still, in four months water weight has never made me gain from week-to-week :dizzy:, although I had zero change on two different weeks. So, I don't like it, but I don't see that I'm going to do anything differently. I'm already eating well, already exercising. I'm not into extremes. Maybe by next Monday I'll drop the water and have a big weekly loss :D.

I started walking last Monday, and I guess it may be related to that. Not that I wasn't already exercising for the last four months, and not that it was intense. But apparently it was enough, in combination with TOM :o. Since I'm adding in a bit of jogging this week, next week's weigh-in may not be so rosy after all. But that's OK, because I know I'll have less fat by next week, even if I weigh more from retaining water :dizzy:.

alinnell
08-11-2008, 01:57 PM
What I do and what I should do are two different matters.

What I do: I log it and go about my day without any changes
What I should do: Log it and make a plan for the day that includes a high protein, low fat menu and exercise.

When I see a continual gain I SHOULD really look at what I've done to cause it and NIP IT IN THE BUD rather than simply logging it and continuing without any changes because continual gains have a tendency to stick around for a while! Obviously I didn't do what I should have because I'm looking at a 15 pound gain over the past two years after having come within half a pound of my goal. Live and learn!