40-Somethings - 40's Chatter in August

View Full Version : 40's Chatter in August

lovnmom
08-02-2008, 09:29 AM
Hi all, I go by lovnmom and I'll be 44 in just 8 short days. I have 4 beautiful children nearly 15, 13, 11, and 8. I'd been a yo yo dieter since the age of 12. Sadly, I had a mother who didn't understand about normal baby fat....anyway, when I turned 40 I said, "enough is enough," and quit dieting. I spent almost 2 years journalling and learning to just love me for me. I gained 40 pounds and was ok with it. I was happy and loved me until my then 6 year old learned to ride a bike...Oh happy days, we can all hit the bike trails for days of fun together. Accept our first trip out, me at 5'2" and 175# couldn't keep up with my 6 year old. I was miserable and truth be told so were the kids. They had to keep stopping and waiting for mom at every stop sign...that day I cried and cried hard. I didn't want to start the whole lose, gain, lose, gain cycle again. I was so afraid that my size was going to start equalling my worth again...I made a list of things to START DOING.Be sure and drink 64 oz of water EVERY day, eat 2 fruits EVERY day, have veggies with EVERY meal EVERY day, read my Bible lesson EVERY day, journal my thoughts EVERY day. My list contained no DON'TS and no time frame. I was trying to be healthier not skinnier. I stayed focused on doing this for my quality of life not the size of my jeans. It hasn't always been easy to keep that focus. That was May 2006 so yes, it has taken me 26 months to drop 39#. I'm more of a marathon loser than a sprinter, but I'm happy and I'm succeeding one lowly pound at a time. 3FC has been my true life line to give and get support. I've been posting at the 40's site and others faithfully for some time now. It really makes a difference. I hope you will join me.

lovnmom
08-02-2008, 09:36 AM
Ok, so here's my post for today.
Baseball season is finally over and my life will get a lot easier now. I'm hitting the Wal-Mart this morning as I'm out of laundry detergent, Cascade, toilet paper and even band aids. There's no way to avoid shopping this weekend. These trips usually include the children begging to go to the Chinese Buffet which can send me into "Ahhhhhhhh help me mode." I love all the fried stuff and everything else too, plus there's so much sodium. Scary stuff ya know. Thankfully, DSs had football for 2 and a half hours yesterday and another mother is doing a marathon next weekend so she drug me on an 8 mile walk yesterday. That's twice as far as I usually go, so if we end up at Chinese I'm going to relax, try to enjoy, and eat only until I'm full not stuffed...pray for me.

sznn
08-02-2008, 10:21 AM
Good Morning,

I am new to this group, but not new to weight battles.
I've been hanging out here @ 3fc for almost 3 yrs.
Started when I was on LAWL in 05' - it is such a fantastic site.
Sadly I have regained half of what I lost - guess my maintenance plan was not very well thought out.
Nevermind - I am back on track and ready to succeed.
Goal = to lose those 20 lbs again before my 46th bDay in May 09

Looking forward to getting to know everyone.

-Susan

lovnmom
08-02-2008, 10:45 AM
Susan, It's really nice to meet you. You sound like you have the right attitude to succeed. I still think there is success in your gain...you put on the breaks and stopped gaining before it was all back on. Great job!
Have a great weekend!

Clydegirl
08-02-2008, 12:34 PM
Hi Susan and welcome.

It's Homecoming this weekend in our little town. As per usual it's hot and humid. We will go up later as the parade starts at 5. middle daughter will be marching with the poms squad. It's that time of year as they perform at all the football games.

Lovn when you run out of laundry detergent and toilet paper it's definetly time to go shopping. Enjoy the chinese. I try to avoid buffets, don't do too well with them.

Stay cool everyone.

sznn
08-02-2008, 01:26 PM
Thanks for the welcomes.

If anyone is too warm - you can come here. It's around 65 and raining.
Just went for a run and it started pouring on my way back.

Good run and lucrative too - I found $22 on the trail:carrot:

-S

clayr
08-02-2008, 03:04 PM
Hi, I introduced myself at the end of your July thread, I'll have a go again since this is fresh.

I also lost weight and re-gained, went from 200 down to 160, then back to 200 with an extra 20 to boot when I went on anti-depressents. I kept my FitDay account, mostly because I still logged in my activity.

I'm 44 (b-day in May) have a wonderful husband and two active kids.

I'm homeschooling my son which creates alot of stress in my life, and I am a studio artist, out hawking my pottery and sculpture.

Luvnmom, I did my Walmart shopping yesterday and had Chinese, but it was a combo plate, a little less scary than a buffet.

lovnmom
08-02-2008, 04:24 PM
Clyde, Homecoming already?!?!?! Are your children back in school already too? Our H.S. homecoming is always in October more towards the end of the season. Have fun at the festivities. Has DD been real busy with her poms practices and stuff?

clayr, welcome again. Is your avatar some of your work? It's beautiful. I found a way out of the buffet challenge...I told my kids if we just bought subs and roll ups (much cheaper) at W-M and ate in the park I would spend the extra money taking them to Wall-E tomorrow. They took the offer. It was nice eating by the lake and I easily ate within my calorie range. If nothing else we must be creative to stay in this game over the long haul.
Hope you're all having a great weekend.

clayr
08-02-2008, 07:31 PM
The subs are a much better deal than Chinese and your kids made a good choice, my daughter loved Wall-E.

Yes, the avatar is mine, thank-you, and thanks for the welcome

Clydegirl
08-02-2008, 11:58 PM
Lovn I meant our town homecoming. The high school one is not until later in the year. Poms has started their practising already.

lovnmom
08-03-2008, 08:26 AM
clyde, so is that like a celebration of when the town was founded or something? Sounds like fun. Our little town has their annual Party in the Parkway coming up next weekend, but DH is finally taking a couple days off and we're heading for 6 Flags. It's going to be as relaxing as that possibly can. We're driving just over the IL border and staying with my niece and her family...cook out, a couple glasses of wine, play some ball, kids will sleep in a tent...then off to 6 Flags and then a stay with my friends FIL for pretty much the same thing...and then back to 6 Flags the next day. We're taking 6 children ages 8-14 so we shouldn't really have to do much once we're at the park. Us adults can chill or ride whatever we want.

I'm starting today with Sunday school. My lesson plan is pretty simple today..popcorn and a "Veggie Tale" movie. I know l-a-z-y, but it is the lazy days of summer. I'm planning to walk 5 miles and then take the kids to the movie. It should be a good day.

Suzzyy
08-03-2008, 11:08 AM
I am excited to get some tips from all of you. I love receipes and any information anyone might have to help win this battle. I know it will not be easy however, some of you have reached your goals and hopefully you can share what helped you to get there. Sometime more than lettuce !! lol
I have a friend that just lost 35 pounds and did it by really increasing her veggies and she filled up on them and claims it wasn't bad at all. She would grill all kinds of veggies and use a small bit of olive oil and make wraps, add a small amount of wheat pasta, she would mix in chicken and at times fish and she did not feel deprived one bit. So I am taking her lead and hopefully I will find as much success.
Good Luck to ALL !

Clydegirl
08-03-2008, 11:28 AM
:wave: Hi Suzzyy and welcome to the 40's chat. Good luck on your weight loss journey.

davidsmom
08-03-2008, 11:49 AM
Good Morning to All!
I am new here and find it very motivational that all of you over
40's have done so well! I am 44 and have been tring to either lose
weight or not gain it for most of my adult life. I have never tried
journalling and would like to try it-what exactly do you do?
Have you found that it helps? I would welcome any advice.
Thanks!!

Clydegirl
08-03-2008, 01:41 PM
Hi davidsmom. Welcome aboard.

I have journaled in the past and found it helps a lot. When I was going to WW I always kept track of everything I ate. It definetly makes you think what you are eating when you are writing everything down that goes in your mouth. Many people on here use fitday.com with a lot of success.

Note to self maybe you should start journaling again :o

Lovn our homecoming is a three day celebration of everything in our town. There is a huge parade 2 of the days. Lots of tractors and everything agriculture. Food, carnival rides you name it. Thousands of people come from all around.

sznn
08-03-2008, 02:57 PM
Good morning all...well almost afternoon.

Yesterday was - so/so food wise. Cleaned out my fridge to clear out the food going to the other side and made some fava beans with bacon.
Also an apple crisp - and yes bad me had some of both.
Ran 5K in the AM - but seriously, the menu needs to be cleaned up!

Hope you are all having a good day.
It is super sunny and hot here today and I am gardening.

clayr
08-03-2008, 05:20 PM
Clydegirl, That sounds like so much fun, it must be wonderful to live in a community that gets together and celebrates like that.

Hi Suzzyy :)

Hi Davidsmom :)

Suzzyy
08-03-2008, 05:39 PM
Silly question: I am trying to complete the weight tracker and I have copied it but WHERE to I go to paste it??? I keep losing it because I am pasting it in the wrong place. HELP !!

Clydegirl
08-03-2008, 05:42 PM
Silly question: I am trying to complete the weight tracker and I have copied it but WHERE to I go to paste it??? I keep losing it because I am pasting it in the wrong place. HELP !!

You need to be a member 30 days or have 30 posts? I think before you can do a tracker.

Pop into general chatter, lots of stuff there and you will get your post count up.

davidsmom
08-03-2008, 06:37 PM
Suzzyy-When you figure it out, let me know. I also have tried, but
can't. I think we do need to be here for 30 days. I have quite a few to go!

Does anyone know how many posts we need to do? I would hate to be here
for the 30 days and not have enough posts.

lovnmom
08-03-2008, 07:11 PM
davidsmom, Clyde is so right about journaling. In the beginning I wrote down every mouthful and also how I felt while eating the "bad" stuff. The most essential part of losing weight for me has been walking. I started at a slow pace for a short distance, but with each walk it got easier to walk faster and farther. For me, it has been the difference between losing and gaining. Good luck. I'm looking forward to getting to know you.

I did get out and get the 5 miles done. I wore a brand new stepometer. The route I walked I had planned and measured already, because I've been walking it for years. My stepometer did measure it accurately. Thankfully, because I've been wasting gas driving around measuring new routes!!! My children and I thought Wall-E was really good. If you choose to think about it it has kind of a scary message!

Clyde, Your celebration sounds like a lot of fun.

Suzzyy
08-03-2008, 10:03 PM
Just came in from my walk. My husband wasn't feeling well and in the past I would have said "well, I won't go either" however, I went for a walk by myself. It was after 9pm and I still went. I hope this motivation continues.
Thanks to all of you for being supportive.

Clydegirl
08-03-2008, 11:52 PM
Suzzyy-When you figure it out, let me know. I also have tried, but
can't. I think we do need to be here for 30 days. I have quite a few to go!

Does anyone know how many posts we need to do? I would hate to be here
for the 30 days and not have enough posts.

Don't worry about the tracker. You can get one either after being a member 30 days or after you have 30 posts.

It's amazing how quickly your post count goes up.

Mollikins
08-04-2008, 08:22 AM
Mornin, Ladies (& any gentlemen present) !!

Lost another pound --even without any exercise on the weekend !!! :carrot::carrot: Hope to have a reeeeeeeeeeely good week cos I head back home for 8 days on Friday. No scales where I'm going, so I'll just hafta walk around the lake every day -- 5 miles -- and hope for the best when I get back.

Hope everyone's week goes GREAT !!! WE CAN DO THIS !!! :hug:

Slashnl
08-04-2008, 08:39 AM
Wow! I have been out of touch for awhile and I'm way behind!! Welcome to all the newcomers to the 40 chat thread. I'll try to catch up!!

I had a few computer issues and had to take care of those and then we were gone most of the weekend, so now I'm back. We went to this lake that we love to fish and stayed in one of their cabins. It is such a great place! I wish we could have stayed longer. We had to come back early on Sunday because my son had to come back and get his football helmet and pads. They structure the equipment handout by team and that's when our team needed to be there.

So, yes, he made the team. Actually, they had a few quit, so no one was cut. That's a good thing. This week he starts in pads, so we'll see how this goes for him. He was doing much better at the end of the week than he was at the beginning, so I think he's getting in much better shape. They talked about moving practice from 5:30 to 5:00 when school starts. I hope that I can get someone to take him. I don't get off work until 5:00. I'm a little worried about that.

School starts in 2 weeks. I can't believe it is here already, although I am glad that they're going back. They need to get back in a better schedule. We need to get some new clothes and supplies, so I might have to take a day off this week. I can feel the stress trickling in... way too much to do! Then, my daughter will start volleyball, so that will make her happy!

Well, better go get ready for work!

lovnmom
08-04-2008, 09:34 AM
suzzyy, Great job getting out there on your own. It's great to have a partner, but in the end we are doing this for ourselves. Again, WTG!

Mollikins, Great job!

Diane, So nice to see you back. The fishing and cabin sound wonderful. DS doesn't start FB practice for another week or so. Practice with pads is a whole other level. It's like the difference between walking flat turf and jogging hills, but it sounds like they're working the boys into it. I'm sure your son will do just awesome. During the school year our practices are held right after school so we just have to figure out how to get the kids home. Much easier. School doesn't start here until after Labor Day. It's actually a law the state passed a number of years back so that WI Dells didn't lose it's employees before the last hurrah of summer. Don't let the "start up" stress get to you too bad.

DD starts VB camp today. That'll give me two hours to kill in town so unless it starts raining again I should have time to get in a good walk.
Have a great Monday all!

TechAlum
08-04-2008, 10:32 AM
Good Morning All,

Sorry I haven't posted in a while, I've been reading everyone's posts but feeling discouraged and not wanting to share. I had fallen off the wagon and was getting dragged behind, but I decided that I needed to stop whining and procrastinating and get myself back on track. So yesterday I started again, I didn't do great, but not horribly (definitely could have been worse). Unfortunately no exercise yesterday, we were going to take the dog for a walk, but I had fallen on my bike on Saturday and woke up really stiff and sore with a monster headache. After church and lunch I went up to take a nap but it didn't seem to help I just felt worse, today I feel better though so I think I'll take him out after I finish posting, then it's off to the grocery store :woohoo: That has to be one of my least favorite chores.

Lovnmom - MI passed that same law, I'm not sure how it helps because they seem to go longer in the spring than before.

Clyde - Our town's homecoming was this weekend too. We had a wedding to go to on Sat that was a ways away so we didn't go. It used to be a small gathering to welcome home people who had moved away (hence the name I was told), but has evolved into a giant carnival. I had never heard of a town homecoming until I moved here 9 years ago, now I've heard of two :D.

Suz & Davidmom - when you do get in those posts/days you go to edit cp button and then edit signature, it'll tell you how to post trackers.

Too Everyone else :wave:

Well, if I'm going to get everything I need done done, I should get moving. I have yoga tonight hopefully I can do ok, I have sooooo many bruises it's not funny.

Have a great day everyone.

-Tech

dowlibrarylady
08-04-2008, 01:05 PM
Hi Everyone,

I am brand new to this site. I started the SBD one week ago today. I had a great week. I don't know if or what I lost in terms of weight as the scale scares me. I know I have about 50 pounds to lose. I did put my jeans on this morning and they zipped up much better. I have never done this type of forum either but years ago when I went to WW, it was nice to be able to talk to people. With gas prices the way they are, I just can't afford the extra cash to drive into a meeting and pay for a meeting. It isn't like I don't know how to lose weight, I just can't ever maintain. Now, at 48, I have high blood pressure. So, I thought I would give the SBD a try and hopefully with online help, I can stay in touch with people and stay motivated. This is a great site, I already tried the "fried zucchini" recipe at lunch time. Very tasty. I look forward to reading the daily postings! :)

clayr
08-04-2008, 01:19 PM
Wow, This moves along :) I've also been trying to get my tracker posted, do you need both 30 days and 30 posts, or which ever comes first?

Congrats on the loss Mollikins!

My DH and kids went on a long hike yesterday, (we frantically tried to make it to church, but were too late). The ascent up the mountain was a killer but the views were spectacular once we got there, and the breeze up the valley felt wonderful. The trip down the mountain was tricky on my knees. I was very sore when we got home but feel good today.

Hi dowlibrarylady :)

showmom
08-04-2008, 01:24 PM
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to 3fc - just joined about a week ago. I'm 44 and have a 16 year old daughter who's very into showing her horse. I've let my weight ballon since quitting smoking 6 or 7 years ago. I don't have a weight loss plan yet - I just quit junk food and started drinking more water so far. This week I plan to make myself walk every day. I love reading all the posts and soaking up all the ideas and information on this site. I'm hoping with all the support here I will finally be able to stick to a healthy eating plan and lose the weight once & for all.

Kathy

beffie
08-04-2008, 02:29 PM
way to go suzy! i have just started walking myself. my goal is 30 minutes EVERY day! i decided to wake up early every day instead of trying for evenings because it is so hot down here in Texas! Good luck with your new routine!

Clydegirl
08-04-2008, 02:30 PM
Afternoon girls.

A hot steamy day!

We got new phones at the weekend and me being technologically inept am having a time with it trying to get the thing to do what I want. My 16 year old was sitting with me at midnight last night showing me how to make calls and get around.

:wave: Welcome librarylady and Kathy. It's always nice to get new people posting.

Clay it's whatever comes first the posts or the days being a member. Hope you don't mind me asking what part of the country do you live? I really miss the mountains and valleys from home. Everything is so flat here.

Tech good to see you back. Hope you feel better. I just got back from grocery shopping. It's putting it away that I hate.

Our schools go back on the 21st of this month. I think we are all ready for that day. It's still so warm then. I really don't feel, like shopping for autumn clothes.

Mollikins well done on that pound. Every one counts.

I'm trying to decide whether to go to the pool or not. The water is so warm just now with the high temps.

Enjoy the day.

lovnmom
08-04-2008, 03:26 PM
Tech, Nice to see you back. Sorry to hear of your tumble. I'm glad you're somewhat better today. We all get drug by the wagon from time to time. The important part is you're back up there now. Enjoy your walk today.

librarylady, A big welcome to 3FC. A long drive and the extra cost for WW is what lead me to 3FC years ago. The support I give and get is really what makes the difference for me. Good luck!

clayr, I believe it's just whichever 30 you hit first. Your hike sounds awesome. I do most of my walks and hikes alone or with a friend. My family are fare weather exercisers. I don't blame them though. My DH works hard physically all week and my children are really into sports so I'm really the only one who "needs" to walk. My children do go along in the spring and fall though, because it's nice. lol

Kathy, If it's support you're looking for you've come to the right place. Cutting junk foods and adding more water is a great place to start. I'll be 44 this Sunday and have become an avid walker in the past two years. I firmly believe it's the best exercise both cheap and easy. It didn't seem easy at first though, but it does get easier every time you go. Good luck!

beffie, Hot or cold morning walks are much better for me. I get too l-a-z-y if I put it off until afternoon or evening!!!

Clyde, good luck with the new phone! I'm with you on the putting stuff away. I just hate it, but no one else puts it away right. I know, that sounds anal, but I'm the one that will need to find it. It's hot and steamy here too even though a good T-storm just past through.

I got in 5 miles while DD was at V.B. I'm trying to get a few extra in at the beginning of the month...we have at least 2 weekends away planned and I know I'll be overeating.

beffie
08-04-2008, 03:55 PM
Yes, I used to think that I just couldn't wake up any earlier! But it's been working so far! And I really do love it!

LetsGoMets
08-04-2008, 08:58 PM
Hi everyone.

At the end of my riding lesson this past Sunday, my instructor gave me a HUGE zucchini...it's as big as an eggplant. I need some ideas as to how to best prepare it...I'm clueless at cooking so any EASY suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Last week was the perfect storm of weight gain - I was unable to exercise and at work, we had a triple baby shower with three cakes and Champagne, as well as a departmental lunch that spanned 3 hours. I tried to make good choices but...I was not completely successful.

So here we go again this week. I'm going on vacation in 2 weeks - to the beach - and my hope was to lose at least 3 pounds before leaving. Not sure that's going to happen but I am trying.

One thing that I've been doing is weighing myself everyday and this is not a good practice for me. It only upsets me if I don't see the numbers I want to see, so I need to really make the effort to use the scale no more than once a week.

School starts in 3 weeks. Went to Staples yesterday with the school supply list in hand, and we got everything! It was actually kind of fun. I think we're all getting psyched for the new school year. I'm resolving to be more involved in the school this year. As a working mom, I really never have participated at all in anything going on in my son's school. It just wasn't possible - I worked almost an hour away. However, now that DS is starting middle school and I'm working only 15 miles away, I really want to get more involved. We'll see how it goes.

I can't even comment on my Mets. Why must they torture us so?

lovnmom
08-05-2008, 07:52 AM
Letsgo, Well, It sounds like you had some fun celebrations though and we must live too. Good luck with the zucchini. I really only grate them in bread or add them to stir fry. I'm not much help.

DD has V.B. again this morning. My friend Lori is doing a marathon in Hurley this weekend so she's walking 8 miles with me during practice. She ran 20 yesterday and I can tell you that's some feat. It was 91* with 100% humidity yesterday. My 5 mile walk was grueling. The weather is projected to be almost exactly the same today, but the 8 won't seem nearly as bad as yesterday's 5, because I won't be alone. There's another 3FC member that is doing "The Step Diet" I got interested so I bought a cheap pedometer. I checked it out on known distances and got my stride set right etc..and then strapped it on yesterday. Pretty much out of curiosity. I did my 5 mile planned walk, but I ended up walking more than 10 miles yesterday even though I did no grocery shopping or lawn mowing. That number really caught me by surprise, because I remember wearing one years ago and maybe walking a mile a day more than my exercise. At the time I had babies and did a lot of rocking and nursing, but I pretty much was just stagnent anyway. It's nice to affirm, yes I have changed my lifestyle.
Happy Tuesday everyone!

clayr
08-05-2008, 11:09 AM
Good Morning,
LetsGoMets, here's a recipe for Stuffed Zucchini:
2 lbs. zucchini
1/2 lb. ground meat browned
1/4 C. mayo
2 tea dehydrated onion flakes ( I use fresh)
2 tea parsley flakes
1 tea oregano leaves
1 tea salt
1 tea lemon juice
1/4 tea pepper
2/3 C. tomato (spaghetti) sauce

Halve zucchini, scoop out centers leaving 1/4 inch shell; place in shallow baking dish.
Coarsely chop centers; mix w/other ingrediants,(except sauce). Spoon mixture into shells and top w/ sauce bake in 350 oven for 30 minutes.

Clyde- I live in Maryland. We also live fairly close to the Chesapeak Bay. My family is from the Tennesee North Carolina region, those are some georgeous mountains.

LetsGoMets
08-05-2008, 12:20 PM
Clayr, thanks for the zucchini recipe! I am writing it down and bringing it home. My husband is the cook of our family so I'll let him have a crack at it. I think we even have all the ingredients on hand!

Also, I love your piece in your avatar. Last week, our department here at work had a team-building activity that consisted of a session at a pottery studio! We each got to make something and had a great time doing so. I made the simplest thing possible, a tray. Some people made vases. We didn't work with a pottery wheel, but the owner of the studio gave us a wonderful demonstration. Very cool! We'll get our pieces back once they've been glazed and fired (or is it the other way around!??). It was truly a fun and very different experience, and it was so cool to see the beautiful finished pieces on display around the studio.

dowlibrarylady
08-05-2008, 12:39 PM
LetsgoMets,

I think I am going to start rooting for your team. Those of us who live in MI are so disgusted with the Tigers. Their latest trade was enough to get me to jump off the bandwagon for supporting them. They could have traded Pudge, but to the YANKEES??? What were they thinking? Anyway..

I took a zucchini yesterday and cut it in thin round pieces. I dipped it in a scrambled up egg, and then dipped it in parmesan cheese. I lightly greased a cookie sheet with olive oil and then placed the zucchini rounds on the pan and baked them at 375 for 25 minutes. I didn't flip them because when I tried to, the cheese stuck. I probably should have used more oil, but didn't want the calories. Anyway, they were soft and flavorful. I will be doing more of them. Maybe this will give you another option for your zucchini?

Nine days into Phase 1 of the SBD and still doing well. Blood pressure was down this morning. We'll see what the doc says on Friday. I am waiting a couple of weeks before I shop for a couple of new things to "go back to school" wearing. Besides, I have multiple sizes of things...I am sure if I dig into the back of the closet, I will hopefully find something that fits that I haven't worn in a while. I still haven't gotten on the scale. I just want to feel better. I did walk today, although it was a shorter walk than normal as it is 82 degrees with 100 percent humidity this morning. It is supposed to be cooler tomorrrow. Have a great day everyone!

scaryshari
08-05-2008, 12:42 PM
Thanks Lovn for the get well e-mail - much appreciated. I remember my last journey for weight-loss - I tend to catch things easy, and every time I was down and out, it made it that much harder to get back into exercise. Too lazy by nature. This time around I feel more motivated, and I am hoping that keeping a blog and meeting up with you all (y'all :D) that this will be the added kick in the butt I need.

I weighed myself this morning (usually weigh every Monday). I am down 2 lbs from last Monday. At my mom's yesterday, it showed a 7 lb lost which seemed highly unlikely - would've felt that! So, I like to keep to one scale.

All my shorts at the beginning of summer were tight and had that extra saddle-bag hump in them (yech!). Now they are loose (even from the wash!). Today I decided to pull some of my older, smaller shorts out - hey they are a bit loose too! :carrot: Now that is motivation!

Going out to mow and weed today (have 3 acres to do :o)! That will keep me occupied while my kids are all away and the hubby off to work.

I wish all good success today! Keep plugging away - may not be pounds always - sometimes it's inches!

Shari

clayr
08-05-2008, 02:39 PM
LetsGoMets

Thanks :) I work very sculpturally, I actually prefer working without the wheel, handbuilding, I have also been making trays they are very useful. Even when I use the wheel I tend to add to the piece, like the face/mask on the pot in the avatar.

lovnmom
08-05-2008, 02:59 PM
shari, that's terrific. There is really nothing better than fitting into those old shorts, skirts, tops, pretty undies..you get the picture. WTG!!!

DD is doing great at volley ball and I got in a 7.25 mile walk..it felt great..funny how a long walk with a friend feels great and one alone feels like ugh. My mom's coming for dinner..those of you who know me wish me luck..those of you who don't pray...it's MY MOM OVER FOR DINNER!!

Clydegirl
08-05-2008, 07:03 PM
Lovvn we went and saw Wall.E today. A really good movie I enjoyed it, bit sad though. Enjoy your dinner ;)

I love it when I fit in clothes that I couldn't even fasten last year. Well done Shari those NSV's are always nice.

sznn
08-05-2008, 07:23 PM
Hi all,

I'm hot, tired, and PMSing.
Lovely combo :(

I have also started a lower carb regime as of yesterday that has left me a tch head achy and low energy.

Geez, I'm just a ball of joy.

-S

TechAlum
08-05-2008, 09:34 PM
Good Evening Everyone,

Well, I didn't walk yesterday, but I did go to yoga. I was surprised at how good it felt I was worried I'd be too sore. Today I met my parents to walk, usually we mall walk in the winter and walk the dogs at the park in summer, they didn't want to deal with the humidity this morning tho, so we went to the mall. I was pretty happy after we were done I got a couple of tops on clearance in non plus sizes :D. That always makes me feel better. We went to the gym tonight after dh got home from work/drs and after a week and half man did it kick my butt. Of course the bruises probably didn't help :^:. Afterwards it was late and we didn't feel like cooking so we stopped for Mongolian barbecue for dinner. I'm proud of myself I drank water (wine is a big problem for me), and had brown rice instead of tortillas, so it was a mostly on plan meal :D. I figure if I can't stick to plan 1 week I'm in trouble.

sznn - :hug: Hope your feeling better.

Mets - Its usually fire, then glaze, then fire again. I worked as an interpreter in a pottery shop for a while, I can explain how it works in my sleep :lol: Good luck with the zucchini, thats how my mom used to cook them. I usually saute or grill them.

Shari - Yea on the NSV :cp:

Lovnmom - wow on all that walking. I'm pretty happy to get in 3 miles. Good Luck with your mom :?:.

Clayr - looks like you've got your 30 posts. Good luck with that signature.

beffie, Kathy & library - welcome :D

Well I should get moving. The weather is supposed to break tonight, so I must walk the dog tomorrow he is a wild thing. Course dh is winding him up :dizzy:

-Tech

LetsGoMets
08-05-2008, 09:55 PM
We're watching the Mets - big surprise, huh? - and they're leading 6-2 in the top of the 9th. But - and there's always a but - the Padres have 2 men on base and there are no outs. Look, Mets, I've already had one heart attack. I do not need another. Just win the bloody game and don't make me break out my nitroglycerine tabs!!

Clayr, I brought your zucchini recipe and showed it to DH. He seemed interested. I was wrong, we don't have any meat in the freezer, could've sworn we did, so we will likely try it out this weekend after I can get to the supermarket.

Had a great treadmill session. I now have 1,890 songs on my iPod and I am just letting them play through during each session. I have stuff on there I haven't heard in years! It's been much fun, and I've managed to walk an extra 10 minutes each time, since I'm enjoying the music so much.

The Padres just scored big and it's now 6-5. It is truly challenging to be a Mets fan, so DowLibraryLady, you might want to stick with the Tigers!! BTW, I am a proud Univ. of Michigan grad, so the state of Michigan holds a special place in my heart. I will be headed out to Ann Arbor in October for Homecoming. Whereabouts in the state are you, if I may ask?

Shy Moment
08-05-2008, 10:53 PM
Wanted to pop in and say hello. Busy busy. At least the company left today. Was so nice to walk around my house and not trip over the 5 extra people lol. After this week ( still have lots of camping to do and going to the state fair two days this week ) things will be back to normal. I really like normal lol.

lovnmom
08-06-2008, 07:52 AM
sznn, pretty much the same boat here...but the dam has finally broke, so to speak, so my mood will get better, but I can do nothing about the hot. Hope you're feeling better soon.

Tech, Yum, I've never had Mongolian BBQ, but anything new sounds scrumptious. Great job with all the exercise and staying on plan. I'm able to get in so many miles during the summer, because my children are all involved in sports. This week I have 2 hours to kill while DD is at volley ball. I know I could drive home, but it's wasting gas and who wants to clean the house anyway??? My dinner with my mom actually went very well. She AND I both were on our best behavior. She taught me and the kids a new card game called Trash. It took a long time to play, but my 8 year old stayed with it and eventually won. A pretty good night...she never mentioned my weight once. That's huge. Thanks for asking. I'm glad you had a good time with your folks.

letsgomets, great job adding the extra 10 minutes each time!

Rennie, nice to hear from ya.

Morning Clyde.

Diane, Hope you're having a good time off and about.

Me, another day of volleyball so I'll get some walking in. I have no idea how far. I'm not that planned ahead today...I have to do soccer registration tonight so I'll be sitting at the local park for an hour taking registrations and money...it seems crazy just how close fall and all it's activities are getting.
Have an awesome Wednesday everyone!

sznn
08-06-2008, 08:31 AM
techalum + lovnmom - Thanks for the boost.
Just have to deal with one more day of super hot weather and now the cramps and things will be on the upswing.

On the + side - i think underneath all the pms bloat...i think, i feel a little svelter after a few days on plan.

Everyone have a great day.

-S

Slashnl
08-06-2008, 08:47 AM
sznn: Glad you're feeling better. I was looking at your avatar and I thought "hey, that's how I feel!". :)

Rennie: Good to hear from you!

Lovn: Amazing how kids' sports can take over our lives. I feel like football is all we are right now. Don't get me wrong, I really love it, but it is tough trying to fit everything else in. Oh well! Just wait until volleyball starts! Ha! I just wish they would continue to pay me, but I could work fewer hours.

LetsGo: I don't know, you could be a Rockies fan. Although they won last night, they do make it challenging sometimes.

Tech: Good to hear from you, too!

Well, on to work... and then football. ha! Have a great day!

lovnmom
08-06-2008, 09:16 AM
sznn, Glad you're feeling better too!

Diane, I know my head is in a whirl with the sports too. I've made comments that August will be mine. P-LEASE, we have one week that doesn't have some kind of camp or practice in it..I guess August is mine, because I have no GAMES to attend. lol We'll hang in here together!

dowlibrarylady
08-06-2008, 09:28 AM
LetsGoMets

I had to go to bed last night as watching the Tigers was playing havic on my blood pressure. They lost in the 14th inning as once again the closing pitcher gave it away. I am originally from the Grand Haven area but I have lived the Midland area most of my life. Currently living in Sanford, but not on the lake. I hope your Mets did better than my Tigers. Have a great day...Laurie

Clydegirl
08-06-2008, 10:25 AM
Morning girls.

A late night watching the baseball. Librarylady we went to extra innings as well but we got the win.

I'm going to the game tonight :D

Must go and get some stuff done around the house.

Have a good day.

dowlibrarylady
08-06-2008, 11:23 AM
Clydegirl,

Have a great time at the game. Hope your team wins!

LetsGoMets
08-06-2008, 12:27 PM
Yes, the Mets did win last night, but it was painful to watch! It was 6-2 at the top of the 9th...but Aaron Heilman gave up a 3-run homer. Finally, the Mets got that 3rd out and won, 6-5. The rest of this season is just going to be a game-by-game thing - we'll never feel good until the last out is made and the Mets have won. Very frustrating, but what can you do? I think I will blame the Mets for any new grey hairs I find!

clayr
08-06-2008, 01:33 PM
I really wish I enjoyed sports you all are having such a good time.
The Frederick Keys are a minor league pretty close to where I live that I have considered seeing. Also football season gets my family together which is nice.

My daughter plays soccer and I've really enjoyed the families we've met through her team. Sometimes she says she wants to quit, she likes the social aspect, but as she's getting older I think it's getting too agressive for her. I'd really miss the interaction if she did.

sznn & luvnmom mine's due too, I'm going on vacation in a couple of days, I think I always have my little friend on vacation.

Tech- I tried to get the tracker to post but it still is saying I can't. ?

clayr
08-07-2008, 08:19 AM
Morning, it's my weigh day, I lost 2 pounds :)

sznn
08-07-2008, 08:30 AM
clayr :carrot: woot wooot. that is great news.

i am still bloated up and i think I will postpone my WI day - it will be too discouraging otherwise.
Day 4 on plan for me.

have a great day everyone.

Slashnl
08-07-2008, 08:56 AM
Hey all! I have a shortened day at work today. We're having our company picnic tonight, so we get off work early... just an hour... but we'll take it. My son still has football practice, so I won't stay at the picnic very long. It is supposed to be bbq and they do have chicken, so should be able to stay on plan.

Clayr: I hope you don't mind all the sports talk. For me, it really is a large part of my life. Especially with both kids in sports, it takes a lot of my time. I also like college and pros, but particularly with my kids' sports, it is a major focus for us.

Of course, school is starting soon, so some of my focus will be about getting kids to do their homework and getting chores done when they get home rather than when I get home and have to remind them. I don't know when they'll ever learn that lesson! Just get it done and then you are free!!

Well, off to work!

lovnmom
08-07-2008, 09:04 AM
Clyde, Hope you had a good time....what was the outcome?

Clayr, 1st congrats on the loss, woo hoo!!! I do love sports and minor league baseball is some of the most fun to watch, in my opinion, but I too really enjoy the visiting with other parents and all that goes with watching my children play. I have a friend who attends nearly every high school sporting event regardless if her children are playing or not. Her attitude is that it's cheap wholesome entertaiment. I know she's all about the social of it too!! Have a great day!

sznn, Congrats on day 4. If you think the WI would be too stressful then I think you should skip it too. No one knows your body and mind like you do. Have a great day yourself.

Diane, Enjoy your pic nic. It sounds fun!

I watched the old movie, " A League of Their Own, " with my family last night. It's incredible to me how little freedom women had still in 1943 and how little my children understood the whole aspect of it. It was all very eye opening. We got into quite a discussion about "Rosie the Riveter" and how the women were first allowed factory work like that during the war, but when the war was over the women were expected to give up their jobs to the returning servicemen. My oldest was very dissapointed that the Gena Davis character quit playing baseball and went home to raise a family etc...but Honey, that's the whole point. We should be able to choose and be ANYTHING we want even if it is a wife and mother...more V.B. today and a walk with a friend. Same ole same ole, but it's good work if you can get it.
Have a terrific Thursday.

TechAlum
08-07-2008, 09:24 AM
Hello All,

Well, after having a good day Tues I stumbled yesterday, but I'm going to get back on track today instead of letting it put me out for the rest of the week. Today I'm going to the science museum to see a bat exhibit with my nephew of course my sister and mom are coming too, he's just our excuse, lunch could be a challenge, mom said she'd take us but museum cafeteria food is usually not the greatest :^:. Then my nephew is coming here for the evening, because he's supposed to go home with my mom (my sis has a dr's apt tomorrow she's pg) and she has a dinner thing scheduled. So dad's coming over picking her up and then they'll come back after dinner to pick him up. Somehow it got way more confusing than it needed to be. The upshot is that I won't be going to the gym this afternoon, hopefully I can get there tomorrow morning. I told dh to still go tonight, I might take neph to swim, they have a water slide/splash pool etc. We'll see how he behaves at the museum, he is a wild child. My sis is not so good at discipline.

Clyde - how was the game? Hope you had fun.

Clyr - congrats on the loss :woohoo: Not a big sports fan here either but I enjoy listening to others.

lovnmom - I love that movie. We enjoyed the exhibit in Cooperstown when we went last fall, it was even more of an eye opener. And it does make you appreciate the options we have now doesn't it.

Laurie - as the sportscaster here is fond of saying those Tigers keep snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. :D

slash - hope you enjoy your picnic!

sznn - Strangely even though I feel bloated I usually do better on the scale when I have PMS, I just feel fat :?:. I get that fun next week.

Well, I should get moving, I need to clean the house a little before other people see it, and I should sort laundry before I leave. How did staying home w/o kids fill with so many chores?????

-Tech

Clydegirl
08-07-2008, 09:56 AM
Morning girls.

My weigh in :( did not want to get on that scale today. I'm up 4lbs. I was expecting a gain but not that much. Must do better next week.

We had a great time at the game. Cards won 9-6. My daughter loved it, her first major league game. I had a pulled pork sandwich and coleslaw and later a small ice cream. Didn't help the weight much.

Clayr well done on the loss :carrot:

Have a good day everyone.

lovnmom
08-07-2008, 10:39 AM
Tech, I hope the day at the museum goes well. Enjoy the exhibit and there's always something fun with a child even if he is wild!!! Way to get back on track. We have to live life..it's all about keeping going and making good choices most of the time.

Clyde, Glad you had a good time and DD too..I'd bet most of the 4# is water from salt in the pulled pork and it'll all be gone in a day or two. Nothing to really worry about. You've been doing so well!

clayr
08-07-2008, 12:03 PM
We're cleaning out the van for a 6 hour drive to my dads tomarrow, he's moving and is putting us to work so I'm sure to burn some calories :carrot:

Diane, I don't mind the sports talk at all, I love to hear the excitement, I just don't "speak the language". When my family watches football they will yell at the t.v. and I have no idea whats going on, except for the touchdowns then I get to yell too. Actually, I need to start planning how I'm going to deal with the food and beer in these situations, since that is what normally holds my interest.

luvnmom- I Love A League of Their Own, during the ending credits the women who actually played on those teams are playing ball.

Tech- I really like bats, they swoop down and get drinks from our pool in the evenings. Hope your nephew is good so everyone can have fun.

Clyde- I agree with lovnmom, that salt always gets me too.

hopefuldreamer
08-07-2008, 01:09 PM
Hey all,

Newbie here... question for all of you How often do you weigh in? Weekly? or more often? I realize that daily is not the best since you see lots of water weight fluctuations. Do you take your monthly cycle into account? I'm 42, and starting to sputter a bit on that front. Cycles getting shorter in general, but occasionally a long one. hard to predict... How does that impact your weigh ins?

Confuddled, but still

hopefuldreamer

dowlibrarylady
08-07-2008, 01:21 PM
Hi Everyone,

I just love reading what everyone is doing! My children are grown and gone so I don't have any of those stories any longer. Since I teach, I am getting ready to go back to school in a couple of weeks. I did go into school this morning and discovered that although my library had been cleaned, nothing had been put away. So I burned off a bunch of calories there (not to mention the sweat!). I have been doing so well on the SBD (today is day eleven I think) that even after the two week mark on Monday, I am going to stick with just the proteins and veggies for a while. It is a bit boring but I feel like I am in control so for now I am sticking with it until I can't stand it any longer.

Clydegirl, I am so glad you had fun at the game. I hope you have a better week this week.

Hopefuldreamer, as I have mentioned before, this time, I am avoiding the scale for a while. It just frustrates me and I am going to go by how I feel and how well the current pair of fat jeans zip. Maybe when I have to buy a new (smaller) pair of jeans, I will finally get on the scale. I am not much help on that.

Keep posting everyone...it keeps me going. Laurie the DowLibraryLady

lovnmom
08-07-2008, 04:31 PM
clayr, Wishing you safe travel and loads of calorie burning.

hopefuldreamer, when I first started my healthy lifestyle I weighed only once a month. My plan nets very slow weightloss so it was important to me to see a lower number. Now I weigh everyday. I know my body well enough I know when a gain is "real" vs. water etc...I track the number and it keeps me motivated to continue on the healthy track. As for the TOM the tracking helps there too. I can look back at last month and see that I went up 2# 3 days before TOM just like this month etc...good luck. Post often, there are very supportive people here.

librarylady, work the program to fit your needs. It's all about you! Great job getting your library back in shape and your bod too!

Did 5 miles with my girlfriend AND her hubby. He's off work and bored...He thought the hilly 5 miles we chose were just crazy!!!

scaryshari
08-07-2008, 11:58 PM
Well I am back after not posting for a few days! Yesterday I rented a rug machine to do my van interior - lot of hard scrubbing for 3 hours. Then my friend, who recently had weight-loss surgery, wanted to do her van too while I had the machine. So I said "sure - come over. I'll help you". Well ... while she spent most of her time vomiting in my bathroom because she tried to eat too fast (1 tsp of food:dz:) I cleaned her van! Today I can hardly move my arms and my calves are seizing up!

I was tired most of today, but forced myself to do my walk. Took a couple of Tylenol - then walked. Actually made me feel much better.

Sorry I am not much of a sports fan - I am even a disappointing Canadian for my lack of knowledge about hockey :). Can't contribute much there!

Clayr - congrats on the 2 lbs lost!

Lovn - Don't know how you log all those miles - 7 miles = 11+ km! You must go through a lot of shoes! :^:

Hopeful - I don't know about everyone else, but I weigh myself on the same scale every Monday morning. Weighing too often can be discouraging if it goes up and down - plus I look forward to Monday morning. As per cyles, well, some gain should be expected, but if you are faithful to your new eating and exercise patterns, then don't beat yourself up if bloating causes some gain.

Just a question - does my avatar show up on my screen? I don't see it when I post.

Have a good day tomorrow everyone! Shari

LetsGoMets
08-08-2008, 08:18 AM
Scaryshari, yes, your avatar is visible, and it's a good one!

Does anyone out there use a BlackBerry? I'm thinking of getting one. I used to have a Palm Pilot, mainly just to keep everyone's phone numbers handy, but when I changed jobs in February, I found I was not allowed to sync the Palm with my work computer (they don't allow any "outside" software to be loaded onto the laptop they give you). So now the Palm Pilot is useless. Of course I have a cell phone and I could put everyone's phone numbers/emails in there, but...I'd have to update it manually any time I change the same data on my work computer. Does that make sense?? Anyway, I might check out a BlackBerry this weekend and see if Verizon can cut me a deal.

I'm leaving work at 1:30 today to get the oil changed in my car (exciting, I know!). We have summer hours here, but I don't ever take advantage of them. But I will today!

TechAlum
08-08-2008, 08:25 AM
Good Morning All,

Yesterday went well. The museum was fun and the bats were pretty cool the live show was different because most of their bats were in the main museum exhibit, so they showed nocturnal animals. The coolest was a 2-toed sloth. He was just meandering around his cage hanging from the ceiling. Going to a museum with a 6 year old is much different than how I usually go. DH and I read every sign (this is what happens when you send 2 engineers into a museum), sometimes on vacation if we do a bunch of museums I swear my brain will explode. But DN flitted from one thing to the next, what's this? No what's this?.....It went much faster :D. When we got home dn wanted to watch "Robots" so I put in the dvd. My parents had about a half hour to kill before they left to meet their friends so they started watching it, apparently they had never seen it, so now my movie is at their house so dad could finish watching. Then we went to the pool, not formal exercise but man playing with a kid in the water for an hour was tiring :^:. I still would have rather swam laps, but he doesn't swim well enough for the lap pool, we hung out in the splash pool. It was fun. Today my plan is to ride my bike around town running my errands. I should log 10-15 miles then I want to go back to the gym to get in my weight training since yesterday I was in the pool while dh worked out. Then hopefully again on Sunday. That'll give me 3 times this week :D.

WI day today - according to my scale I'm down 4.2 from last week :eek: Hopefully it'll stick.

Shari - Wow! Sounds like a lot of work. Hope your GF appreciated it. Congrats on getting in your walk even when you didn't feel like it. I see your avatar, wonder why you don't.

Lovnmom - Too funny about your friends dh. Did you tell him hills help you work more?

Library - It must feel good to be ready for the first day of school. And your team won last night :woohoo:. Why can't they spread those runs out some they seem to be either on or off, no so-so play here. So do you work in a school or for dow? Just curious.

Hopefull - I wi about twice a week. Once mid week and once on my official day (which was Sat but I'm changing to Fri), sometimes I miss one of them. I find if I weigh every day I get obsessed, so I moved the scale to the bath in the basement, so its an effort to get on. My problem is if the scale goes down when it shouldn't have, I think "oh well yesterday I ate badly, and it went down so today I can too...." Not a good plan.

Clayr - Have "fun" helping your dad move. The sports I understand the best are the ones I've played. Baseball (as a very small kid), hockey (IM in college) and lately cycling. I wish they covered it more here. I have absolutely no clue what's happening during basketball, and soccer is a foreign concept to me when we watch dh's family play I'm constantly huh? what? why? I don't think dh has much fun explaining everything to me.

Clyde - Too bad about the gain, probably is just a change in eating last night. Glad you had fun at the game, it's always better when they win isn't it.

Well, gotta get moving, sorry didn't mean to write a novel. Have a great day everyone :wave:

-Tech :bike2:

sznn
08-08-2008, 09:03 AM
Techalum - way to go :carrot: that is a fantastic scale victory!!

lovnmom
08-08-2008, 09:52 AM
shari, ok, my daughter and I both can hardly stop laughing....( 1 tsp of food w/ the added smiley ) is priceless!!!! Great job getting your walk in even though you were sore..my DD's volleyball camp is 4 miles from home and lasts for 2 hours so I've been doing a lot of walking waiting for her rather than driving back home. I wear Avia's..they fit the carriage of my foot really well and I always buy them at Sears when they have a "buy one get one half off." The two pair last me most of the year.

letsgo, sorry no help from me on any of that! Accept I could change your oil for ya!

Tech, Glad you had a fun day...Great job on the loss woo hoo!!!

Well, I was wrong...DD does have V.B. camp today too...so MAY BE I'll walk again. Not sure...Today is all about laundry and packing for our weekend away. I want everything loaded and ready to roll today already so I can relax with my coffe and a little 3FC posting before we leave in the morning.
Have an awesome Friday all!

Clydegirl
08-08-2008, 01:27 PM
Afternoon girls.

A gorgeous day here. We are going to a 50th wedding anniversary surprise party tonight. Wow 50 years. Should be a nice night.

Well done Tech on the weight loss.

hopefuldreamer
08-08-2008, 03:37 PM
Way to go for that weigh in, tech. :broc: That's terrific! Glad the museum trip was fun.

I think I'll give up the daily WI for just the reasons you've said. I do become too obsessed. Even if I know that fluctuations are normal, the monkey mind just won't let it go.

Have a great weekend everyone. It's been terrific to be here this week. I am feeling more confident already, just from reading all the posts.

I'm looking forward to when my newbie 30 days is up, then I'll get myself a cool "number line" like so many of you have! Maybe by then I'll be able to move the little thingy a bit!

Hopefuldreamer

dowlibrarylady
08-08-2008, 05:05 PM
Hi Everyone

I am on late today due to a very busy day. Nice day here today...cool temps and low humidity. I went to the dr. and I am happy to report that my blood pressure reading was down (138/78), still not great, but much better. We talked and she thinks keeping with the SB phase one is a good idea for another couple of weeks. After yesterday (I ate too many ribs) I am going to work on the portion control this weekend. I don't have to go back to the dr. until Oct., so I guess that is good. Did you know that you can have a different blood pressure reading depending on which arm they use to take the measure??? I didn't until today!

TechAlum...great weight loss! In answer to your question, I am the library media specialist at Dow High School. I work in the school, not in Dow Chemical. Where are you from?

Have a good weekend everyone! DowLibraryLady

lovnmom
08-09-2008, 07:28 AM
Clyde, Hope you had a good time at the party!

hopefuldreamer, I too think 3FC is an awesome place. The support really helps whether you're giving it or getting it.

librarylady, That's wonderful that your BP is down. Well done. A big pat on the back to ya!

Diane, I'm missing ya ya know??

Tech, Have a great weekend!

I'm off soon. This is my hubby's first 2 days off in a row since last June. I'm so excited. My best friend and her family are travelling with us. The fun today is mini golfing and a cook out party at my nieces. Sunday and Monday both take us to Great America in IL...my friends children have never been there so it should be a real blast..it's just going to be nice relaxing and spending time with good friends. I won't be back to chat until Tuesday. Have an awesome weekend!

Ntregme
08-09-2008, 05:09 PM
Hi Everyone,
I have been wanting to post all week, but work took a toll on me and I'm just now able to get on and say Hi!!! Busy week, but I managed to lose another pound.
Let me tell everyone a little bit about myself. I'm 44yrs., I work as a Nurse Manager at a small specialty hospital. My husband is a paramedic and 1/2 Greek. He loves food!!!!
We have a 19 yr. old son who recently moved out and a 12 yr. old daughter who is starting Jr. High....ughhhhhh.
We also have 2 Golden Retrievers.
Last night my son called, sick and wanting to come home so I could nurse him back to health. Then my oldest Golden started limping and I had to tend to her also. Yikes!!! Never ends.
I'm looking forward to a quieter week and plan on getting in a massage and hopefully a couple of exercise days.
I enjoy reading everyone's posts.
Til next time....everyone take care~!
Ntregme

scaryshari
08-10-2008, 12:19 AM
Hey all .. dropping in for a little chat.

I am scared to weigh in this coming week - feeling a little bloated. Ah! How come men don't feel bloated?:shrug:

I am behaving myself for the most part, but this chocolate craving is going to be the end of me soon! :chockiss::tape:

Ntregme - A massage sound wonderful about now - and your sound like you need one!

Have a good day tomorrow! Shari

Slashnl
08-10-2008, 10:45 AM
I'm checking in. It has been a hectic couple of days. I took off Friday to go school shopping and get some other things done. I can't believe how much you can spend in one day.

Yesterday, my son had a football skills camp. It was so humid out there and although it wasn't horribly hot, the humidity made it feel really hot. The boys were just dripping with sweat. Yuck! Amazing the odors that can come from 12,13, and 14 year old boys. Gag. I didn't stay around for all of it, because I still had some shopping and I needed to get my hair colored. But, that was a full day! Next Saturday they have another camp but that will be more of a scrimmage camp. Should be fun to watch that.

Today I need to take my son to get him some clothes and shoes. He didn't go on Friday, so need to go today with him. He gets done with this a lot faster than my daughter... who loves to shop! Should be fun.

Shari - My daughter mentioned yesterday that it just isn't fair that boys can eat all they want and not gain weight while girls have to watch it so much more. I told her that I agree... it isn't fair!! That and no bloating just gives them the edge.

WardHog
08-11-2008, 01:38 PM
Hey y'all - I just stopped in to say hello. My daughter started school today (first grade!) so we are getting used to our new routine.

Also so you can all have a good laugh at me - last night one of the neighbors just dropped by unexpectedly. She wanted her daughter to meet our daughter, because another neighbor told her she'd be on the bus, and it's her daughter's first day of kindergarten. So, I was hanging out in just a t-shirt and underwear. No bra, no pants. I made my husband go to the door, but they were talking for kind of a long time, and then my daughter invited the daughter in. I was kind of hiding in the kitchen, because I would have to go by the front door where they were talking to get upstairs to get some pants. So, finally I just poked my head around and announced that I didn't have any pants on, and that I would be right back. Then I come back downstairs and she's sitting on the couch amongst 5 bazillion toys. She seemed pretty laid back, but quite amused by the whole thing. Anyway, the girls seemed to hit it off right away, and they went and played for a while. We ended up having a nice chat about the school, the bus, the cafeteria, etc. Gotta love the pop-in! Good thing I don't get embarrassed easily! :lol:

dowlibrarylady
08-11-2008, 04:51 PM
OK ladies...I faced the ultimate fear of my life today and I got on the scale. It was just as bad as I thought it would be so I can't imagine what it was like two weeks ago when I started the SBD. I am going to "say it, so I can own it," I weighed 188.7 pounds. At first, I was devastated and then I thought "I am not going to do this again." This is where I am, this is what I have to deal with, and this is something that I am going to do something about. So I am going into my third week, staying on phase one of the SBD, and starting fresh. It started with a 3 mile walk this morning and I am trying to drink more water and less iced tea. So there it is...the ugly truth and (hopefully) a new attitude toward the scale. It is what it is and I hope it is all downhill from here.

Wardhog...loved the story! Where I live, I could run around the property naked but about the first time I try that, someone would probably drive up the driveway and try to ask for directions! :)

Happy Monday, Everyone!

scaryshari
08-11-2008, 10:17 PM
Hi Everyone! The site seems a little quiet!

Dowlibrarylady - good attitude - never accept defeat!

Yesterday I upped my km from 4 to 5. Felt pretty good, but my knees are complaining a bit.

I can relate to the being caught by drop-ins. After my walk today, I went straight downstairs and threw my sweaty clothes in the washer - just had my undies on. But ... I forgot I wanted to hang one of my son's shirts outside. I debated on whether or not I could run outside fast enough to hang it up before someone drove by? By the by - I am baching it - no one is home - don't do this when family is home ;). I also live out in the country - so most likely I would make it ... ah! the chicken in me couldn't do it - threw something on and dashed out. :D

Anyhoo - good luck to all tomorrow and throughout the week. Shari

hopefuldreamer
08-12-2008, 09:17 AM
I love these stories! You all have given me a great laugh to start the day! At our house, my husband is the one more likely to be "caught" by drop-ins. He is famous for coming home from a run all sweaty and icky, then stripping down to his undies IN THE LIVING ROOM!!! I keep telling him to take it to the bathroom, but he doesn't listen!! Arrrghhh.... I keep waiting for one of our old lady neighbors to drop by and get an eyeful.

I weighed in on Monday, and was up two pounds, but feel PMS-y, so I know it's just water bloat. Behaved myself pretty well the last few days. I'm holding off another weigh in until next week, especially since that bloat hasn't left yet.

I'm off to exercise. Have a great day, everyone.

hopefuldreamer

LetsGoMets
08-12-2008, 11:54 AM
I'm also enjoying all the stories! Here's one from me...6 years ago, we'd just moved to our current home and one of our indoor cats got loose and went missing. After putting up signs around the neighborhood, we hoped someone would find him. A few days went by. One afternoon, I came home from work and was alone in the house with my then 5 year old son. It was a warm June day and I'd removed my work clothes - and my bra - and had thrown on a ratty t shirt and some shorts. The doorbell rang and there was a woman from about a mile down the road, telling me she was pretty sure our cat was sitting in their driveway. Well, my son and I were so excited that we wanted to immediately dash out and get the cat. I started scrambling around to find my car keys and fish out the cat carrier and like an idiot, I blurted out to this woman, "I don't have my bra on!" Now, I'm a 40D, so I would NEVER go out in public braless!! I don't know what compelled me to say that out loud to a relative stranger. However, she took it in stride. To this day I still feel like a boob (pun intended) when I think about that!

I've got a friend who is the only female in a household with 3 big sons and a husband, and she'll joke about being sick of the continual full frontal nudity!

k8t
08-12-2008, 01:50 PM
Shari - My daughter mentioned yesterday that it just isn't fair that boys can eat all they want and not gain weight while girls have to watch it so much more. I told her that I agree... it isn't fair!! That and no bloating just gives them the edge.

But we live longer....so I don't think they're getting a free ride.

MelissaV
08-12-2008, 03:35 PM
Hi, my name is Melissa and I'm here! Can I join your group? I'm 40 and trying to lose these last few pounds. I exercise a lot and try to watch what I'm eating...but, it doesn't always work. Right now, I'm doing BistroMD. The food is OK...I weigh in on Thursday.

Anyway, I've enjoyed your stories!

Clydegirl
08-12-2008, 03:43 PM
Hi, my name is Melissa and I'm here! Can I join your group? I'm 40 and trying to lose these last few pounds. I exercise a lot and try to watch what I'm eating...but, it doesn't always work. Right now, I'm doing BistroMD. The food is OK...I weigh in on Thursday.

Anyway, I've enjoyed your stories!

:welcome2:

Hi Melissa. Welcome to the 40's group.

I have no idea what the BistroMD diet is. Is it prepared meals?

Clydegirl
08-12-2008, 03:54 PM
Afternoon girls.

I haven't posted in a while but I've been lurking.

We went to the 50th wedding anniversary party on Friday. It was a lovely night. Their 2 daughters did a celebration of their parents marriage. They started with when they first met, dating, getting married, having children and grandchildren. They had a choir singing songs for each part of their life. There was not a dry eye in the place. A lovely celebration.

On Saturday we went to an animal rescue foundation adoption at Petco. We adopted a little kitten 9 weeks old. She had been put in a hefty bag with 8 other kittens and shot with a BB gun. Only 2 survived. She had a mark on her head and left ear where she was injured. She was in an animal hospital for a few weeks and was released on Friday. She's a cute wee thing. We named her "Lucky". I just got back from the vet with her. We found an odd thing on her tummy last night. The vet said it was an abscess and put her on antibiotics. It could be a BB pellet. If it doesn't heal I've to take her back and they will check it further.

School goes back next week. I've been doing a lot of running around. Need to get out and get some clothes shopping done.

Take care everyone. Talk soon.

Shy Moment
08-12-2008, 09:14 PM
Thought I would stop in and say hello. Hope everyone is doing well. Hasn't been good for me the last few days. I got back on the meads ( after being off them for a bit ) about a month and I am very sick again. Last weigh in was good but I am starting to moon face up and be real puffy. I am mostly staying in bed the last two days ( thank heavens it didn't get real bad until the last couple days of vacation, still enjoyed the Ted Nugent concert lol ). I am being very careful what I eat but have no energy what so ever to exercise at this time. Give me a few days and ( that is all I will allow myself 3 more days lol ) I will be getting back to normal and back chatting again.

MelissaV
08-12-2008, 09:34 PM
Oh Clydegirl, I hope she is OK! Poor kitty. Those people should be put in a hefty bag and shot with BB guns. That is horrific. The things people do to animals and children. Ick.

BistroMD is the prepared meals. I have to have a "gimmick" to get me motivated. So far, so good. I'm down 2 pounds.

Shy, look at those pounds gone! You go!

scaryshari
08-12-2008, 09:49 PM
Weighed in today - down 1.5 lbs! From 205 - 188.5

Something funny/scary happened today. I attended a Senior Luncheon with a friend (I am an honorary member at 40!). I hadn't seen some of them for a while. One lady who lives not far from me grabbed my hand and said, "Shari! You don't know how lucky you are to be alive!" She had been watching me walk past her house. On one occasion, a mother bear and her cubs came on to the road just after I had passed by, and on another occasion a large timber wolf had come out behind me! Anyway, this woman is known for a little bit of exaggeration, but her husband was agreeing with her!

Now here is the catch - I about 50% deaf from birth, and I walk with music to keep a pace - so I don't hear anything really while I walk.

On occasion, a friend joins me on my walk. She will sometimes look sharply in the bush. Says she hears something walking around.

So ... with all this, I decided I should be a little more alert and carry some protection! Tonight I strapped a big, old hunting knife onto my walk vest and a shrill whistle! I wonder what people thought as they drove by me?:fr:

Clydegirl - what a horrible thing for someone to do to kittens! I feel like crying - would love to string up whoever did this and shoot at them for a while - don't think I would feel too bad about it either! I hope Lucky will be OK - glad she found a good home!

Shy - I hope you feel better fast!:getwell:

Anyway ... wish you all well tomorrow! Shari

hopefuldreamer
08-13-2008, 08:08 AM
Clydegirl,

Keep us posted about poor kitty. Hope she's ok. I can never understand the cruelty of some people. We have a rescued cat too. Found wandering in a state park in January in subzero weather. Poor thing was nearly frozen to death.

hopefuldreamer

Slashnl
08-13-2008, 08:45 AM
Rennie, good to hear from you. I'm sorry you're going through a rough patch right now. I hope you get back on top of things and feeling well again.

Clyde, Lucky is a good name for that kitten. I hope she's ok. I, too, have a rescued cat. She can't see very well and her eyes shake back and forth. A vet told me it is because she has had some kind of head trauma. She was found in a boat dealer yard. But, she gets by!

Shari, you are living up to your user name with your bear and wolf story! That is scary!

Lovnmom: Where are you?? You're supposed to be back now, right?

Not much going on for me. Just trying to finish up the last few things before school starts next week. My son's football practice time is changing, so I have a new worry of how to get him there on time. We live kind of far from the field or else I'd have him ride his bike. I don't know how they expect us to do all of this and work full time!! I'm thinking that they don't care how we get it done.

Oh, and I have an eye twitch going on right now. Stress??? maybe???

LetsGoMets
08-13-2008, 09:39 AM
Hi to all. Hope everyone's week is moving right along.

Clyde, what can I say about the kittens that hasn't already been said. It truly is beyond comprehension what horrible things people are capable of doing...to animals and each other. It's chilling. Anyway, I am sure you will be able to nurse Lucky back to health and she'll have a great life with you! All of our cats and dogs have been from shelters and rescue organizations.

Hang in there, Rennie. We know how strong you are...you'll bounce back with flying colors, I'm sure.

Diane- my left eye twitches if I'm over-tired and/or stressed. It's really delightful *sarcasm* I always feel like putting on an eye patch or something when that eye gets going!

Shari, please be careful!

My husband went down to Orlando on Monday for business. His flight home yesterday, originally scheduled to take off at 7:40 p.m., was delayed by FIVE HOURS! Thus, he didn't get home til slightly after 4:00 a.m. this morning. Anyone who thinks that business travel is glamorous...think again!

I'm on vacation next week and not a moment too soon. I feel fairly burnt out and uninspired at work. Now, I've only been at this job for 6 months and it's been great so far - but my last vacation was a year ago, so it's not this particular job that's making me feel so worn down. We are going to the beach. I've been checking the weather forecasts and while they're not fantastic, it will be better than being at work!! I can hear the surf already...

OK, back to work. There's no lack of stuff to do before going away!!

dowlibrarylady
08-13-2008, 02:29 PM
I can't believe all the rescued cat stories, as I have one also! A year ago this pitiful vastly underweight cat wandered on to my property. My husband, being the original farmboy, is not a cat lover. He kept thinking it would go away if we ignored it. Well, after two days of that and listening to the poor thing cry I finally said, "Either put it out of its misery or I am feeding it. I won't watch it suffer this way." He took about two steps toward the gun cabinet, and I played the ultimate trump card by saying, "So...what do you think Jesus would do!" :) If looks could kill, I would not be writing this. To make an even longer story short, Lucy now has a home, a room (including a heater) built into the shed, and the shed has had windows installed in it so she can sit by the fresh air or just have light in the winter. And it is the hubby who feeds her at night! So much for not being a cat-lover. And the hubby's brother's cat just had kittens and the hubby says we are adopting one so Lucy has company! I just have to chuckle. I am sure someone threw our Lucy out of the window of a passing vehicle.

We drove down to Shipshewana and wandered through the flea market yesterday. It is county fair time for us and we went out there today as one of my students is showing a pig. I am trying to fit in whatever I can before I go back to school on the 27th. MI has a law that the students can't start until after Labor Day but staff always goes early for meetings and such.

Diane, I'll bet the eye twitch is stress. I get that. I hope you get some relaxation time in soon.

Andrea, Enjoy your vacation.

Clyde..keep us all updated on Lucky. And everyone else, keep writing, it helps get me through my day. Laurie, the LibraryLady

LetsGoMets
08-13-2008, 03:50 PM
We are a bunch of animal lovers, aren't we?

I am attaching a picture of our non-human children. Hopefully this will work...our cat is named Jack and our dog is named Chloe. For anyone who watches the TV show "24," you will recognize those names!

Clydegirl
08-13-2008, 04:41 PM
Afternoon girls.

Laurie like you said it's amazing the animal rescue stories that you hear. Lucky is doing very well. She is quickly learning the layout of the house. She has no ill effects from the abscess. I think she is more traumatised from me giving her the antibiotics. It's not easy to give a cat medicine orally.

LetsgoMets that is a lovely cat. Enjoy your time at the beach. Where are you going? I love being near the ocean. It would be nice to go away even for a weekend.

Diane that really weird my eye twitches as well. It's not all the time I have no idea what brings it on.

Shari that was bit scary, please be careful when you are walking.

My eating has been out of control these past few days. I dread getting on the scale tomorrow.

Just got back from middle school registration. My youngest will start 6th grade. I'm so nervous for her, she's not at all worried. She's in special -ed classes and has medical problems. I do worry about her as some children can be mean to her. They go back next Thursday. I need to get out and buy some shoes for all of us.

Enjoy the day.

hopefuldreamer
08-13-2008, 09:56 PM
Afternoon girls.

Laurie like you said it's amazing the animal rescue stories that you hear. Lucky is doing very well. She is quickly learning the layout of the house. She has no ill effects from the abscess. I think she is more traumatised from me giving her the antibiotics. It's not easy to give a cat medicine orally.

I've given lots of meds to various furry beasties over the years. The key for pilling a cat is to wrap kitty in a towel (if necessary), have one person grip kitty's jaw joint gently. This will open kitty's mouth. Biggest tip is to stick piller FAR down the throat before "popping" it. That way, kitty can't spit out the pill. She HAS to swallow it. Learning to do that has made all the difference for me. Now, I can usually pill on the first try, which is far less traumatic for everyone.

hopefuldreamer

Slashnl
08-14-2008, 08:33 AM
Clyde, we went to middle school "back to school night" last night for my son going into 7th grade. Now he is very ready to go back to school on Monday. He saw a lot of his friends and he's happy to be going back. I am glad too. I don't think that he and his sister will live if they have to spend much more time together. Today, I take her for registration for 8th grade. Our district is a little different because we have an 8/9 school. The high school and middle school were both crowded, so they built this one for the 8th and 9th graders until they can build another high school in the valley. I kind of like it this way. Anyway, I have to take my checkbook and get it fired up for all of the fees. I'm sure she'll be ready to get back after today, too.

Eye twitch went away! Such an annoying thing, but it happens to everyone.

LetsGo: Love the picture of the animals. Cute! I have a cat that looks like yours. He's a funny little guy.

Dowlibrarylady: I think the key to have acceptance of the kitten is to make sure it is HIS idea! ha!

LetsGoMets
08-14-2008, 08:47 AM
Clyde, we are headed to Long Beach Island, which is a small island that lies parallel to the New Jersey coast. We have been going there for many years and we stay in a town called Beach Haven. It is wonderful...the beach is beautiful and the whole atmosphere is really, really mellow. "Dressed up" is a T-shirt and flip flops. The biggest decision is usually where to eat or which mini golf course to go to! Can't wait!

My son is also starting 6th grade/middle school, and he, too, is a special-ed student. His "official" diagnosis is autism but really, he falls under the "pervasive developmental delays" umbrella. But "autism" gets us a lot more services! All through elementary school, he had an aide/shadow, and will have one this year as well. And he has other modifications, like having a scribe for certain tests, more time to take the tests, etc. School starts on the 26th for us. This is definitely a year of change, and it should be exciting! I think the parents are more nervous about the transition to middle school than the kids are.

Well, last month I set the goal of losing 5 pounds before vacation. That has not happened. I lost 3 lbs and promptly gained them back, even while eating less and exercising 12 out of 14 days. So I made no headway. It's so frustrating; my weight has stayed the same for about the past 8 months or so. It doesn't matter what I eat or don't eat, if I do or don't exercise, it just doesn't seem to make a difference. I guess I should make some drastic change in my diet and/or exercise but I am pretty demoralized right now. At this time last year, I weighed 13 pounds less than I do now. Maybe after vacation, I will wipe the slate clean and re-evaluate. Clearly whatever I am doing - or not doing - is having no effect whatsoever.

Oh well, did not mean to be such a wet blanket! Just two more days of work, and then off to vacation!

WardHog
08-14-2008, 11:32 AM
Mets, have you taken measurements? How do your clothes fit? Are you sleeping better? Do you have more energy? There are lots of positives to a healthy lifestyle, not just weight loss. Have a great vacation!

Our cat is a stray who adopted us. She still escapes every chance she gets. She is outside somewhere right now and I really hope she wanders back here soon.

Shy Moment
08-14-2008, 11:45 AM
Letsgo
I don't remember what plan you are using but I will let you use the " Rennie Plan " free of charge lol. Try counting calories, it isn't as hard as it sounds. Measure your food. Weigh your food. It really becomes old hat and you don't think much about doing it. It just becomes something you do. Make sure you are eating the required amounts of the four basic food groups each day. It takes a whole lot of eating to get all of those groups eaten a day. Stay within some general ranges of calories, fats and carbs. You really only need ( I am no expert but I have done a lot of research on this ) to do aerobic exercise 3 times a week and resistance training twice a week. Maybe trying walking/aerobic videos three times a week. I happen to swear by Leslie Sansone, I find her fun and motivational. You have to remember this journey we are all on to a more healthy and thinner body doesn't come with dates nor times. We stick to a good healthy diet and exercise routine. The side effect of those two things is losing weight and toning the body. The turtle wasn't very fast but he did win the race. Your vacation sounds great. I love mellow and relaxed. One of the reasons I love to go to the camp grounds every chance we get.

Slash
My daughter starts school on the 25th. My son starts college on the 2nd. Going to have to see how that goes. They aren't going to give him a scribe as the iEP suggests. We are going to give it one class and see how things go.

Hope
You wouldn't believe how many people leave pets at the camp grounds after they leave. It is a shame that people would just drop a pet off and not care what happens to them. I know money is tight these days with prices going up and pay going down but if a person can afford 350 maintenance fees for the camp grounds they can sure afford to take care of their pet or at least take it to the human society.

Scary
I don't know about the bears but you don't have to worry about the wolf. Wolf's get a bad rap lol. Sorry about your hearing. Sounds like you take it in stride and do what you have to do day to day. Nice going. Oh yes, if I drove by and saw you with a big hunting knife hanging by your side I am sure I would want to stop and converse with you lol. Never is a bad idea to keep protection with you when out walking. Nice going on the loss.

Melissa
Thanks. I am sure at next weigh in I am going to be upping my ticker about 10 pounds. lol the meds are really doing me in. I won't let it get me down. I lost it once I can lose it again.

dowlibrarylady
08-14-2008, 01:25 PM
At 48, I must be the old lady of this group! My daughters are 25 and 23, and although my youngest daughter "went back to school," it was to teach, not as a student! She teaches in Colorado. I remember how fun it was to go "back to school" shopping (my girls loved to shop) AND I remember how if they didn't go back to school soon, I was going to have to lock myself in my bedroom. My girls sure knew how to get on each other's nerves.

I am a wet blanket today also. I am just frustrated. I am doing all the right things and just not losing weight. I don't know, I didn't have a period last month (I skip every once in a while lately) so maybe that is the issue.

Andrea, enjoy the vacation. I love the Jersey Shore!

I went for my walk this morning but nothing exciting like bears or wolves...just a few loons flying over the river. Have a great day everyone.

Clydegirl
08-14-2008, 01:54 PM
Afternoon girls.

My weigh in and I stayed the same. That was a fluke.

Laurie I think I might be the oldest. I will be 50 :eek: next year. My oldest is 20 and youngest is 11.

Letsgo we lived in Jersey for 5 years and used to go to the Shore a lot. My husband and his friend used to go crabbing on Long Beach Island. Fun days when they brought all the crabs home and I had to cook them!

My daughter has had an aide every year but this year she won't have one. She will be in a self contained class and there are only 5 children to one teacher and 2 aides. We are hoping she does all right. I hope you and your son do all right with the switch to middle school.

Dreamer the cats medicine is liquid so it's easier than having to give her a pill. My husband is holding her in a towel and I get the medicine in her mouth.

I must go and do some housework, the place is a mess.

Have a good day.

scaryshari
08-14-2008, 11:51 PM
Hi all! Sorry I haven't posted in a couple days! I blew my runners and my headphones in one walk (2 days ago):running: I ended up limping home with blisters. So yesterday I went in the city for shopping. Got myself a pair of New Balance shoes (really comfy!) and a set of ear buds to keep me going!

Today the blisters are not quite healed, but I put in 10 hours of hard housework preparing for my kids coming back from visiting grandparents. My kids are 16, 15, 13, 11, and 7. They start school Sept.2. This will be their first year in a public school. They have all been homeschooled up to now.

I also have some rescued pets - have 5 cats (or fluffies as I call them :lol:). One was rescued as she was being buried alive by a couple kids, one hopped into my vehicle after I stopped to see what was running down the middle of the road (was winter), another was rescued from a woodpile, one moved in after being abandoned by my neighbor. I only have one that is a Nova Scotia import - she's a polydactal - has extra toes on all paws.

They make for interesting pets, and all have their favorite person!

LetsGoMets - have you ever had your thyroid checked? I have a thyroid problem, and unfortunately, I have to work twice as hard to lose a pound compared to a "normal" person. Even with my meds making me function "normal", the metabolism runs slow. It is frustrating. Also, thyroid acts a bit like diabetes. The body does not process sugar well - converts to weight gain really fast. I have to eat more protein and whole grains in order to lose. Something to consider. Don't give up.

Shy - just a questions - what are meads? I am thinking this is the English term for ale or beer - is that right? Just curious.:smug:

Have a good day tomorrow! Shari

modcat44
08-15-2008, 12:45 AM
Hello, I think I belong here as I am 44, and trying to stay active in several forums on 3FC since joining last month. But, I don't have any children--probably the only one here but that's alright. Hub is a big sports nut and so I have some interest in most sports but really keep up with football the most (Go Bears! Go Colts!)

Trying to step it up the last couple of months with more exercise and a food journal to track my eating, and finally this last week feel more in control than ever of both.

I also LOVE animals, at one time worked with a vet and thought about becoming one. I have owned many throughout my life, horses, rabbits, birds, turtles, chameleons, fish, gerbils, and of course cats and dogs. Currently DH and I have 3 dogs, 2 shelter dogs and one Shiba Inu. We did have 3 cats who all lived long lives, but since the last one passed about 2 years ago at 18 we haven't had another one adopt us yet lol.

So nice to read all about everyone, and decided to stop lurking on this thread and post.

Shy Moment
08-15-2008, 02:29 AM
mod
WELCOME

Scary that is my typing lol I was talking about medications.

tt15
08-15-2008, 08:05 AM
Hi I think I belong here too. Today is my birthday and I am 43 yeah.
I have had a weight issue all my life. I have been holding my own for many years, but I could lose more. ModCat44 I do not have any children either. I do have step sons Twins 18 yrs old.
I am trying to lose weight but I haven't found my weight loss nitch. I am trying to keep calories under 1700, and I am a very active person. (not so much regimemented (sp)exercise) but always on the move.
Well feels good to check in. I must get ready for work.
tt15

LetsGoMets
08-15-2008, 08:29 AM
Hi tt15 and modcat44! .:welcome3: And HAPPY BIRTHDAY, tt! :hb:

Don't be put off by all the talk about our kids. Believe me, there are days when I wish I didn't have one!! Still, they are a big part of our lives, for better or worse...

Scary, although I have never had my thyroid checked, I am insulin intolerant and I do have PCOS (diagnosed over 20 years ago). At one point, one of my doctors did try to put me on Glucophage, with the hopes that it would help in my weight loss but it turned out I was allergic to it. I had a head-to-toe rash for a month after I stopped taking it! Anyway, just yesterday, I ordered a book called "The Insulin-Resistant Diet." I know there is a 3FC support thread for PCOS/Insulin gals, and that's where I found out about this book. Everyone seems to be having good success with it, so I will see what it has to say.

Just have to get through work today, and then I am officially on vacation!

hopefuldreamer
08-15-2008, 09:02 AM
Welcome modcat and tt15. I'm new here too, and it's a great group.

:welcome:

hopefuldreamer

TechAlum
08-15-2008, 09:47 AM
Hello All,

Sorry I haven't been around all week, it was TOM and I was crabby and **tchy. Acorrding to the scale I'm still down .4 this week :woohoo:. Not a lot but all things considered I'm very happy. I have 1 week to be really good on program and then I'm on vacation. And we're going winery hopping (Finger Lakes, NY) so calories will probably be high. Hopefully I can get in some exercise to offset it. Yesterday was DH's last radiation treatment so tonight we're celebrating the end of Phase 1. Only 3 more phases and 8 months to go :lol:

Mets - I too am about 13 lbs heavier than I was last year at this time. Lately I've been trying to figure out why I let myself get sidetracked for a year, and I decided that after loosing the first 45 lbs, I was happy where I was even if I still had 60 more to loose. Unfortunately I started inching back up and now am ready to get back too it. Good Luck with the new book and have fun on vacation.

Rennie - I love your plan :D Sounds pretty sensible to me.

Clyde - I'd like to ad my own pet story. I grew up on a lake and there was a swamp across the street. One day (I was about 11) the neighbor brought home this bag of puppies, their eyes weren't even open yet, I asked him where they came from, he said he'd seen someone toss them out of a moving car into the swamp, there were also rocks in the bag so apparently the wanted them to drown. I didn't get it then and 30 years later I still don't. Yea for rescuing that kitten.

TT15 and Modcat - welcome!! I don't have any kids either. I just listen to the stories and smile.

librarylady - my dh swears he's not a cat person either but he'll play and take care of him just the same.

Well I've gotta get moving. Have a great day everyone.

-Tech

modcat44
08-15-2008, 10:42 AM
Hey all!

I have always thought my thyroid was a problem, b/c my mom has been on Synthroid for 25 years and my sis has had part of her thyroid removed b/c of problems. I have asked for it to be checked a few times, not recently, b/c the tests always came back it was ok.

I was always disappointed, b/c I wanted a reason why I was almost always overweight and seemingly so difficult to fight my natural laziness. But I eventually acknowledged I was looking for excuses, and there was nothing to do but the HARD work necessary to work out and eat right, and to make it a PRIORITY. The fact that exercise now has become a high priority for me is new--I now get p**sed off if something in my life interrupts my planned workout for that day (lol), and don't agonize over what I want to eat versus what I should eat.

This new way of thinking has come about this summer, and I hope this means it is a lifestyle change, here to stay. Don't get me wrong--I still sometimes have to fight myself to get ready to go work out, or to resist homemade cupcakes my neighbors bring over, or whatever. But I don't HATE it or resent it so much, and that is happening less and less anyway. I actually look forward to my sessions with my trainer now, or my swim class, etc.

So, no medical problems so nothing to do but get on the stick!

Shy Moment
08-16-2008, 10:16 AM
mod
The doc tells me my thyroid doesn't work quite like it should. Not bad enough for meds but just doesn't work quite right. lol, I told her I know what the problem with my thyroid is. My thyroid doesn't like all the fat and extra calories I put into my body :)

WardHog
08-16-2008, 11:34 AM
mod
The doc tells me my thyroid doesn't work quite like it should. Not bad enough for meds but just doesn't work quite right. lol, I told her I know what the problem with my thyroid is. My thyroid doesn't like all the fat and extra calories I put into my body :)

Now that is funny! :lol:

TechAlum
08-18-2008, 08:28 AM
Happy Monday All,

Well I had a so-so weekend. We had my family over for a bbq on Sat and I probably did ok food wise (although I did make a blueberry pie and ice cream from cooking light), but I had too much wine. Then yesterday we had a thing at my sil's why can't people bring healthy finger food? Or maybe it's just that I don't like the healthy stuff :o. Anyway I counted everything yesterday, and today is a new day. Next Sunday we leave on vacation, so I want to make particularly good choices this week.

Mod - I like the new attitude, wish I could say the same.

Rennie - did your doctor laugh?

-Tech

Clydegirl
08-18-2008, 08:47 AM
Morning girls.

Tech that sounds like a nice vacation, winery hopping. Hope you have a good time.

We went shoe shopping yesterday :) A very successful afternoon. Schools start back on Thursday. We are all ready. I never make good food choices at this time of year. I think it's the end of summer and back to school thing combined.

Enjoy the day.

clayr
08-18-2008, 10:16 AM
Hello, hoping everyone is well:) I had a lovely time at my dads, they still were not quite ready to move so my DH, kids and I mostly explored and hiked. Dad lives in southwest Virginia, beautiful country, if you are ever around there Grayson Highlands park is an amazing place.

We were not due to come home until Saturday, but Thursday night I recieved word my Grandma had a heart attack, so we were up very early Friday drove 6 hrs and went straight to the hospital. She is 86, very weak but in good spirits.

My daughter starts school on the 26, my husband (a teacher) starts tomarrow. My son is homeschooled and stays on the other's schedules.

Clyde, vacation time... into school time, August is a tough food month for me too.

dowlibrarylady
08-18-2008, 06:54 PM
I have mentioned before that my daughters are older so I am not doing the normal "go back to school" routine. As kids get older, sometimes, so does the stress that will always be there with raising kids. So here is a piece of information (and quite the conversation starter) that some of you may not know. An engagement ring is NOT a gift. It is a "conditional gift." And regardless of the circumstances or who does the "breaking of the promise," to marry, the engagement ring legally belongs to the buyer! My daughter was engaged. We had already bought the dress, we were looking into facilities, etc. when she found out her fiance was seeing someone else also. After several weeks of trying to make things work, HE called it off. (Personally I would have kicked his you-know-what to the curb a whole lot earlier but she insisted she was in love) This was back in May. This week, he sued her for the ring! He is a lawyer, And according to the law, it is rightfully his. She had sold the ring to pay off the dress that we still owed a substantial amount on and to get her own cell phone plan. She had to come up with restitution (via Bank of MOM/DAD) or go to court and possibly end up in jail! So in case anyone ever asks you who gets to keep the ring in an engagement break up, now you know the law! I am making it a my mission to get this word out to women.

So...now that I have vented...how do you think my weight loss is going? Did I mention that I am a stress eater (she says sarcastically). I'll get on the scale on Friday. I need a couple days to recoup here. And life goes on...

hopefuldreamer
08-18-2008, 08:05 PM
Oh whoa! Librarylady, thanks for sharing that bit of info! Yikes. I went through a broken engagement many years ago ( I did the breaking up... not easy either believe me) and returned the ring. How awful for your daughter. But, still... better to find out now than after she married the turkey. Any chance to countersue for the cost of the nonreturnable dress??

A little stress eating is understandable under the circumstances! Cut yourself some slack and start fresh.

hopefuldreamer

Slashnl
08-19-2008, 08:53 AM
Dow: Ouch! What a terrible thing to have to go through. I'd be looking to get him into a dark alley and beat the tar out of him... but, that would be wrong. I guess, overall, it is just a good thing she didn't end up with him, but I'm sure that doesn't mend her broken heart, either. Poor thing.

Well, the kids went back to school yesterday. They are a little tired now because they have to get up so early, but I know they are glad to be back there. Everything is going good there. My daughter started volleyball, so that adds more to the table!

Lovn: Where are you??? You're missed!!

Clayr: Sorry to hear about your grandmother. I hope she gets stronger and feels better soon!

Clyde: We'll all be back on track soon. Everyone needs to get back in a routine, I think.

Tech: Mmmm. Blueberry pie. That sounds great!

Rennie: You have a built in excuse and you still fess up. Good for you!

Shy Moment
08-19-2008, 12:27 PM
Tech
Yes she did. Something I have started to do when we have get together is ask people to bring certain things. Some people have always done this with get together. That way not everyone is bringing high calorie, high fat foods. It has worked out real well and usually what I ask them to bring costs a lot less than what they would have brought in the first place. When we all went to the camp grounds last time we have one main site everyone hangs at ( mom and dads ) and then everyone has their own site. The rule, keep your junk food at your own site. Worked out real real well. Sometimes when we do a bit more eating than we should we just have to get back on track. Don't beat yourself up. Today is the first day of the rest of your life. Hope you have a great time.

Dowl
Sorry about the problems your daughter had. Of course the ring is a promissory gift. I think there are only two states that say the ring belongs to the woman and I think there are a couple that say if she breaks off the engagement she has to give it back. In most states the man can ask for the ring back even when a divorce happens. The dress, if she loved this dress why not keep it until she gets married. Just try to hang in there. Most of us are stress or boredom eaters. You know it, I know it. We just have to get our selfs back on track when things happen that throw us off plan.

Clyde
I love to shoe shop and I hate to shoe shop lol.

Clay
Sorry to hear of your family troubles. Will keep everyone in my prayers.

Slash
The only person I cheat is myself. I know I am not going to meet my goal by the end of the year. BUT I am closer to that goal right now than I was when I started. That is how I have to look at it.

Things are going OK around here. I am packing on the pounds thanks to the meads but since there is nothing to do about it I just make sure I am eating my four basic food group plan and try to stay active with this knee. Things will turn around. The worst thing I can do is let it get me down and start eating because I am bored or upset because of it all. We have another Pow Wow coming up in the middle of September so I am looking forward to that. We also have one more " family " going to the zoo day coming up before the year is out and we are going to a safari down in southern Ohio in October. Still a few more things to look forward to before cold weather hits. Back to school shopping was done ages ago and Christmas is already bought for so the rest of my year is free sailing.

Clydegirl
08-19-2008, 01:11 PM
Afternoon girls.

Rennie no don't tell me you have done your christmas shopping already :dizzy:
I'm not that well organised.

However I have to say I do enjoy when school goes back because I can get back into my routine.

Clay sorry to hear about your grandmother :hug:

I need to go get some lunch.

Have a good day everyone.

Shy Moment
08-19-2008, 11:24 PM
clyde
I usually don't have my Christmas shopping done until oct 1. The kids were easy this year. They are getting for Christmas the things they didn't get last year because I couldn't afford everything lol. I have saved all year and already have the shopping done :) I am one of those people that still keeps a Christmas account. I put a little money in it each week and when I have saved up enough to get what they wanted I go shopping. They are pretty easy and understand we are not rich, thank heavens.

clayr
08-20-2008, 09:18 AM
Good Morning,
Dow- Thanks for the warning about the ring, I'm so sorry she's gone through all that, I'll join Slash in the alley to beat up the lawyer jerk.

Christmas shopping...? I admire the ability to do this before November.

We brought my grandmother back to my mom's yesterday. My mom has been working part time but is going to retire to care for grandma, I'm worried it is too much for her, we've talked alot and she says shes o.k. and she won't have it any other way. My 45 year old special needs sister is also living with her...sigh. We live on the same road and during the summer when mom was working I would bring grandma to my house to sit on our deck and watch the kids play, I'm hoping she gets stronger so we can continue to do this.

My eating has not been very controlled the last few days at mom's, some wine and beer has been consumed and mom bought celebratory ice cream "for the kids" last night. I think I'll avoid mealtime over there today.

36Paws
08-20-2008, 09:23 AM
oh my gosh

how do you guys do this.... i am having trouble keeping names in my head so excuse me if I screw it up.... maybe as I get to knoweveryone better

so welcome to modcat and TT (and a happy birthday to you) I started up here yesterday so I am a new one as well and I don't have any kids..... instead I have 7 retrievers, almost two cats and a cockatoo.... that is really enough.... and when they cop an attitude they go in a crate

Its funny about the cats.... I have a new kitten (a ragdoll called Walter) coming home this coming saturday morning.... We have a ragdoll now called Janet.... but my hubby keeps saying he is not a cat person..... and he makes faces at janet but ultimately when it comes right down to it... he is a big talker and he adores her.... he isn't excited about the new guy but he will get over it when he sees how cute he is.....

I agree with teh others, I think the ring is a promissory and it is owned by the groom..... I think she has to give it back....its not really a gift in that sense.....

Tech - congrats on beingdown.... the winery sounds fun .... I am not a wine drinker but it still sounds like a good time and that is such a beautiful area.... we have a farm near to cooperstown and its just beautiful there.... my favorite place to be....

As for me.....

I thankfully have gotten through Weber, Marx and Durkheim and starting on Goffman and Horkheimer & Adorno today. I am studying madly for a PhD comp exam I have to take next thursday and I don't incorporate new language well because of my hearing (am Deaf as a Rock) and because I learn things in ASL it is hard to get hte vocab. down..... so I am plugging away on that.....

I got on teh scale this morning and am down 4 lbs. but its the first week and you always lose faster the first week..... all bloating and water weight.... but I have been good and I have three star stickers on my calendar for each day that I do what I need to do .....

I went to that MVM thing yesterday its at mvmdotcom (I dont have enough posts to do a link yet) I think was the address and created my model and manipulated the weight a bit and really am motivated to get back there so thats good......

I went for a walk with two of the dogs last night and that felt really good.... I need to remember to wear sneakers and not my keenes.... my shoes were filled with stones by the time we got back to the truck.... but hte dogs loved it and had a good time.... and I got some exercise.... so a bonus for us both.... so tonight am gonna take another walk and then come home and fix the damned fence so the dogs stay in the yard and don't go visiting.... My Emmett's brother (1 year old golden retriever from my last litter) Joe lives next door.... about a quarter mile away and Emmett has found escape routes under the fence so he can go and visit..... drive me crazy.... so the electric fence is getting fixed and he is going to learn very soon that the (physical) fence bites.....

so thats my saga for today......

Clydegirl
08-20-2008, 10:42 AM
Morning girls.

Welcome 36paws. Yikes you lost me at Weber, Marx and Durkheim :dizzy: Well done on the 4 lbs down.

I have to get on the scale tomorrow :(. It's just as well school goes back because that will be my motivation to stop the snacking and get back on the programme. I will be able to start walking again in the morning. My daughter has been walking at night with me, she goes like the energizer bunny. We will keep doing our night time walks but I can get the extra one in the am. I'm feeling really bloated today, my period is due any day.

Clay that's good news about your grandmother getting out of the hospital. :hug: to your mum being able to take care of her.

Our new kitten is doing well. She makes me laugh, follows me around all over the house.

Haven't seen Lovn post in a while.

Got to go do something :) don't know what.

Shy Moment
08-20-2008, 01:51 PM
Paws
Welcome
Sounds like you have a busy life. Keep us posted on how things are going. Nice going on the loss.

Clay
All you can do is get back on track. It is a shame that life gets in the way of us losing weight lol. There are a lot of children out there now taking care of parents and grand parents. It is rough. All we can do is help out all we can to try to take some of the strain off those care givers.

Clyde
Glad your little friend is doing well. Aren't animals just the darlings of our lives. Will be nice to get back to a routine. Routine is really the way to keep us all on track.

Well, today was the big day. I knew over the last couple of weeks the weight was coming on in droves. My clothes are all really tight. I went to see my knew doc today and did a new weight in. Yes, a ton of weight gain but that is ok. I know where I am. He said two more weeks of meads and then he wants me off of them to see how things are going with the knee. No problem. This to shall pass. I am sticking with my eating routine as I have been doing. Sometimes life throws us curves and all we can do is stay on the road we know is right. The journey isn't hard but it sure does take more time than we think it will sometimes.

modcat44
08-20-2008, 03:09 PM
Hang in there Shy! Just two more weeks, then no more meds! The extra weight due to them should come off fairly fast.

Clayr--so happy your grandmother is better. Your mom is an angel (you too) for taking care of her. My sis is taking care of my mother, almost 89, who no longer since December has the strength to walk, so uses a wheelchair now. It is a lot of stress, transporting her around with her to her docs, other appointments, and running up and down the highway across 4 states to take care of the house, which she doesn't want to sell yet. None of the rest of us live close--scattered about the country. My sis is such a saint to take all of this on--and she is about 63, no spring chicken. I admire her, and my family is grateful to have her willing to do this.

36paws, wow, a lot going on at your household, huh? I bet your kitten is so cute! Such fun!

Librarylady: I echo what someone else said--at least she didn't go through with the marriage and have that jerk to deal with later. I'm sure she is heartbroken, though, and this isn't an easy time for her, without the money aspect even. It's too bad he is continuing to be a jerk--just goes to show you the character of the man. A compromise to divide expenses already spent, and a payback plan for the part of the ring owed him would have been a decent thing for him to suggest, instead of an actual lawsuit. It's terrible how ugly it's getting.

Tech--I'm going away for a few days next week also, Vegas. Ugh! Lots of good restaurants there. I'm just hoping to exercise everyday at the hotel gym or swim at the pool, and make relatively smart choices for food and not over-indulge on drinking either.

Mets--my dermatologist suggested I might have PCOS, but I think not, just another excuse. And I can see that, b/c since I've re-committed myself to exercise and food control, the weight is slowly coming off. I may be a bit insulin-resistant due to years of diet soda, and that is why I've pretty much cut out diet drinks. (Haven't started drinking regular soda, just trying to stick to water and tea, with a little skim milk thrown in.)

tt15--what's up? Happy belated birthday!

Hello to hopeful, wardhog, slash, scary, others.......

tt15
08-21-2008, 07:44 AM
Thanks for birthday wishes !! I posted last night but it's somewhere here, just don't know where. I am still trying to find my way around. Food has been ok. I have been doing the treadmill and cutting firewood for our pa winter. So I am getting exercise. Today is going to be another beautiful day.
Well let's try this again. Everyone have a great day.

Slashnl
08-21-2008, 08:33 AM
Hi everyone. I am low on energy today, so I don't know where I'll go with this post! It's been a crazy week already. School started, football practice, volleyball practice, husband out of town, all animal feeding left to me... poor me!

I went to pick up my son from football practice last night. It was rough. He was not keeping up with the running and had to finish by himself. Honestly, he was not doing as well as he could do, so a lot of it is his fault. But, it was still hard to see. I talked to him about getting out there and giving his all. It just isn't fair to his team if he is loafing. I know he isn't a great runner, but I also know he can do better than that. But... it is still stuck in my mind today. I thought about how I didn't really push him to do some running this summer, and the guilt overflowed last night. I know it is up to him, but I worry all the time, just about everything. That's what makes me special... :rolleyes:

Clydegirl
08-21-2008, 03:54 PM
Afternoon girls.

School's back :carrot: It was good to see them go off this morning. I've been really tired this week it takes a little while to get back into the groove of getting up earlier.

diane you have a lot going on there. don't beat yourself up about your son. He knows what he needs to do. He sounds as if he really wants to play football so I'm sure he will do what he needs to.

I was up half a pound this morning :( Not surprised at that.

hopefuldreamer
08-21-2008, 07:51 PM
clyde
I usually don't have my Christmas shopping done until oct 1. The kids were easy this year. They are getting for Christmas the things they didn't get last year because I couldn't afford everything lol. I have saved all year and already have the shopping done :) I am one of those people that still keeps a Christmas account. I put a little money in it each week and when I have saved up enough to get what they wanted I go shopping. They are pretty easy and understand we are not rich, thank heavens.

Good for you, Shy!! I am so impressed. It seems like I'm usually so busy that only the most immediate things get done. When our kids were little, we would leave them with my parents after Thanksgiving (usually spent at their house)... free babysitting after all... and head to the stores with the wild crowds on Friday! Yikes. Now, that madness has become a tradition!! :dizzy:

I have been known to buy things on vacation and squirrel them away for Chrisrtmas, though. Does that get me any brownie points??

Hope everyone had a good day.

hopefuldreamer

Shy Moment
08-21-2008, 09:36 PM
hopefull
Tons of brownie points for you. I was the yard sale and lay away queen. I also had a Christmas club account lol. The sun never set without a full crock pot on my kitchen counter and a lay away waiting to be paid off lol.

Clyde
I am sure that extra weight will be gone in a few days.

Slash
Oh I see there is another in the " worry early to avoid the rush " club lol.

Mod
come off quickly or not it will come off. This journey is full of ups and downs. The meads are my downs and getting the weight back off are my ups.

TechAlum
08-22-2008, 08:05 AM
Good Morning All,

I can't believe it's Friday and I haven't posted since Monday :^: This week has been full of ups and downs, I haven't exercised much, and yesterday I made poor food choices (I am a fast food junkie if I wouldn't weight a ton I'd eat there every day). Today is my WI day though and I was down .6 :) Again not a lot but I am pretty happy. I tend to loose slow 3 weeks then a good loss, then slow......you can guess which cycle that follows. My key is to not gain on those 3 weeks to negate the good one.

Today I get to do laundry ;) and clean our room, my sister is dog sitting while we're gone and she has allergies so I'm going to do the bi-annual sweeping under the bed (we store our luggage there so it's a hassle), usually I find fur balls the size of the dogs (which are 70lb dogs). I should get some activity pts for laundry since the bedroom is on the second floor and the laundry in the basement.

Rennie - Just keep plugging away, as long as you don't get discouraged and pig out consider it a success, you know it'll start coming back off when the meds stop. Christmas shopping :eek: That's what December is for.

Slash - I think that's what makes you a mom!

Clyde - :( on the gain, you'll get it back off. I always eat worse when my schedules changes, I think it is the tired thing.

Mod - have fun in Vegas! That's one of our maybe celebration trips when dh is done with all his treatments.

library - Too bad on DD's predicament, but I'll chime in on the side of better now than later. Feel free to vent any time.

36paws - Welcome! 7 Labs :eek: I just can't imagine, we have 2 retrievers and one cat and that's quite enough. It is beautiful country where we're going. We went the first time when my cousin was in grad school and have been going back every couple years even though he's graduated, married and has kids and living/teaching in NC.

Clyr - Hope your grandmother improves.

Well, I should get moving. Have a great weekend everyone.

-Tech

36Paws
08-22-2008, 08:35 AM
Hey All......

Tech - Nope not 7 labs..... 3 Goldens and 4 Flat Coated Retrievers..... my husband and I are divided down color lines here, the blonde dogs are his... the black dogs are mine... but really we are just a big ole doggie family.....

Hopeful - I do the same thing... see things I like and buy them and stash them away for a birthday or holiday or something like that .... often I end up giving them early but the intent is there lol

There is not much going on for me today..... reading Goffman..... and then Habermas perhaps..... I feel like I have so much theory in my head right now that I won't get it all straight for this damned exam (PhD comp exam)

We did get our fence fixed last night and hubby was thrilled when he heard a dog get zapped..... last winter with all the snow we had here the fence disappeared (7 foot fence) and my dogs were walking over it so we put the electric fence attached to the physical fence.... what a pain in the neck....

I am down four pounds this week.... yipppeeeeee

and walter the kitty comes home tomm. I can't wait.... other than that not to much exciting happeneing here

Shy Moment
08-22-2008, 01:28 PM
Nice going on the loss.

Tech
I shop on Christmas eve for odds and ends. I have a ball with all the people and the music and the hussle and bussel. Last couple years haven't been as fun. The stores aren't decorated like they use to be. The music isn't as nice and the sales aren't as good lol.

I also never have bills from Christmas because of waiting until the last min lol. I save I buy, I save I buy. When the kids believed in Santa Christmas was a huge thing. Dozens of presents and the whole bit. When they stopped believing in Santa it became a couple of gifts a piece and the rest of the money going to the soup kitchen, and picking a family from the neighborhood that is going through hard times and buying Christmas for them. We are so busy in December with all the church activities and my son and his friends trying to finish up the last of the bikes they rebuild for the kids in the neighborhood. The last thing I have time for is shopping.

Starting the day after Thanksgiving we start to bake bread and pies and cookies. We bake everyday and aren't done usually until a couple of days before Christmas. We give these to the old darlings in the neighborhood, people at church and those living in nursing homes and retirement homes. We love doing this but every year it costs more and more for the supplies. This year we are going to have to cut back and not give out as much as we use to.

I am always so glad my shopping is done months ago lol. My sons birthday in Jan. If I waited longer in the year to get chrismas gifts bought I wouldn't have time to save money for all the other things that come up at the end and beginning of the year. There is no way I could come up with 180 dollars for rock band for my sons birthday in Jan if I was still spending money on Christmas gifts in November and December.

hopefuldreamer
08-22-2008, 05:26 PM
Hey All......

There is not much going on for me today..... reading Goffman..... and then Habermas perhaps..... I feel like I have so much theory in my head right now that I won't get it all straight for this damned exam (PhD comp exam)

and walter the kitty comes home tomm. I can't wait.... other than that not to much exciting happeneing here

Good luck on the exam. I read some social theory for my MA, and it does tend to muddle the mind!! VERY tough reading. You'll do fine. Just be sure to be well rested.

Keep us posted on Walter. I am curious as to how he'll react to the dogs!!

hopefuldreamer

modcat44
08-22-2008, 05:52 PM
Tech--talking about furballs, omg, I just got done with a marathon vacuuming session, b/c my 3 are shedding like crazy! The end-of-summer molt, I guess. It's a chore to keep up, probably the 3rd time this week for doing at least some vacuuming, and I keep taking off the sheets/comforter to toss in the dryer to get off the hair! (Yes, bad habit, they all get on our king-size bed!)

At least only 3, not 7 like 36paws--where do they sleep, 36? My three are medium sized, 25 lbs, 35 lbs, and 45 lbs. 2 mutts and a Shiba Inu.

Slash, don't worry about your son. If he really wants to play, i think he will be motivated to improve. I just hope the coach is a positive one, not one of those win-at-all-costs one.

Shy--I am in total awe of you. No way can I wrap my head around Christmas until at least November. It's after Thanksgiving for me, usually into December, all the way up to Dec. 24th at times!

36Paws
08-24-2008, 09:54 AM
Hi guys

Mod- time?? time for what??? well there is always time for dogs, hardly ever any time for me.... oh well ..... we are having two litters of pups this year so by next summer we will be up to 9 dogs and that is my limit.... absolutely my limit.....

Hermit - not sure where those tickers come from.... perhaps the ticker factory.... I am going to go and check those out as soon as I reach my 20 days and am allowed to have a signature....

as for me... went out to dinner last night.... and did pretty good, didn't go over... so that was good.... walter came home on friday night and in our drive to RI we stopped at taco bell and KFC on the way home... it was not good but hey its not the end of the world and we have moved on.... but the kitty is adorable and he and janet are getting along great so thats all I can ask for....

going to head to the farm stand today to get some fresh fruits.....

and then hitting the theory again today..... I have decided to once again change the way I study and start just reviewing notes until thursday....

so thats my tale for today
ttyl
s

clayr
08-24-2008, 09:59 AM
Good morning,

My daughter starts school day after tomarrow. I still haven't bought her supplies yet. I developed an infection on my leg while I was at my dad's and with all the grandma stress didn't care for it properly so now I'm on antibiotics and can't walk, can't excercise, very annoying. Anyway DH will have to do the shopping which is fine, I just really want to get out.

Shy- I'm going to try to focus our Christmas outside ourselves this year, those are great ideas! thanks
:)

36- Congratulations on the loss! :carrot: I love Labs our dog has a Lab head and a Corgie body, my dad found him on the interstate. I wish he had a Lab personality, he's very agressive and herds my 8 year old and her friends when they run outside, lol. Good Luck with your exam.

Tech- Your story sounds like mine, just keep working at it. I've been craving comfort food because I'm not excercising, when I work-out I eat better.

36Paws
08-25-2008, 09:46 AM
Hi All,
Weekend is over and now I have to crack down and get to work.....

Clayr actually the blondes are goldens and the black dogs are Flat Coated Retrievers... they are wonderful.... but I adore Corgi's there is nothing cuter than a Pembroke Corgi Butt and Cardigan ears.... i actually love Cardigans....

Mod, we have a rule that states.... dogs are allowed on the bed until the lights are turned off and then everyone must be off the bed. Our largest is about 68 lbs and the smallest is probably shalva who is around 50 give or take... and they spread themselves out on the bedroom floor and the hallway... Emmett prefers to sleep in the bathroom. Just don't have to get up in the middle of the night its like an obstacle course.... but to be honest... the cat takes up more room on the bed....

As for me.... We have a new family member.... he came home on Friday night late... so Walter came home.... he is a Ragdoll cat, a Seal Bi-color..... and he is adorable... loud.... but adorable and our other Ragdoll Janet loves him. I have to say Ragdolls are like chips, can't have just one.....

I totally blew it on Friday night on the way to RI to get Walter.... but got right back on the wagon on Saturday even going out to dinner so that was good... and Sunday was great... so not to worried about it....

This is my last week of summer vacation.... I have to go to the U. on Thursday then friday through Tuesday off, I start my class on Wednesday and then I start teaching on Thursday..... so I am basking in relaxation right now but it won't be so starting next week....

so thats all my news
hope you guys have a good day.
s

LetsGoMets
08-25-2008, 12:56 PM
Hi everyone, long time no chat. I have been on vacation - out at the beach. We had the most flawless weather I have ever experienced. I so adore the ocean, I can't imagine not living near it.

Anyway, amazingly I somehow lost weight on vacation. Do not ask how because for the life of me, I could not tell you. But now that I think about it, we were in that ocean several hours a day, body surfing and leaping over waves and the like. Plus, we really only ate 3 times a day - no snacks at all, and fairly controlled portions. So, I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth.

Today's my first day back at work and oh boy...over 250 emails waiting - a ton of mail piled up. I can either laugh or cry!

I've briefly skimmed over the past page or two...I'll chime in about the engagement ring...I think that was one of the first lessons learned in the first week of law school, if I remember correctly from first year Contracts class. It is not really a gift, but is conditional. However, most people either don't know that or choose not to do anything about it. My sister in law was once engaged and she called it off about 10 days before the wedding. She kept the ring, hocked it, and bought herself a Rolex watch. A co-worker of mine also hocked her ring after being dumped. So, although neither of these gals really should have done that...their respective former fiances never followed up, so that's the way the cookie crumbled.

While on vacation, my book about insulin resistance dieting arrived (I'd ordered it right before we left). I have not had the chance to sit down with it yet, what with getting my son ready for school (starts tomorrow) and getting back to work. I'm hoping it will provide some help, although of course, it's really up to me to make it work.

I'd better get back to work. My post-vacation buzz is quickly fading!!

Slashnl
08-26-2008, 08:53 AM
LetsGo: Welcome back. Glad you had a good vacation. It's always so hard to get back to work after a nice vacation, though.

Clayr: Sorry to hear about the infection in your leg. Sounds painful!!

36: I have a ragdoll, she's the one that was saved by a cat rescue. She can't see very well, but she's sweet. I also have some retrievers, Chesapeake Bay retrievers. They are outside dogs, though. Roughly 90 pound dogs.

Mod: Thanks for the kind words. Sometimes I get way over worried. I think that at 44, I might be beyond hope for curing that flaw!

But, football has been going well for my son. He still hates running, but they played their first game on Saturday and won 52-0. Wow. He played well and had a great time. I was talking to the coach after the game to see if he wanted my daughter to be the water girl since no one else was doing it (her hidden agenda is to be closer to the older boys on the team), and he mentioned that he was pleased with how well my son did and that we just needed to get him in good shape and try to keep him there in the off season. I agreed. He thinks that my boy has a lot of potential, so that was nice to hear. I told my son about that and he understands that we have to keep working hard.

Volleyball is going on for my daughter. I'm not sure what team she will be on yet, but she's having fun.

Well, better go. Sure wish we could hear from some of our more quiet members!! LOVNMOM!!!!

rmc9142
08-26-2008, 09:40 AM
Good morning ladies, hope it's ok for a newbie to pop into your conversation. Im 47 yrs old, married for almost 21 years, with two children (son, 19 & daughter, 16). Ive struggled with my weight for as long as I can remember, sometimes winning the battle, sometimes not. I lost quite a bit of weight right after turning 40, but have yo-yod since and am now heavier than ever. Im back in the groove, and determined to get fit and healthy and STAY THERE! And I know, for me, getting motivation and inspiration from places like this is key. So, I hope you won't mind me joining in here.

LetsGoMets, though you and I clearly have some fundamental differences in some philosophies (Go Yanks! :)), I'm very jealous of your vacation. We have family in Spring Lake and also go to the Delaware shore on occassion, but weren't able to get down there this year. Glad you had such a good time.

clayr
08-26-2008, 09:52 AM
Morning, First day of school, the house is quieter. I went back to the doctor's yesterday and was put on a stronger anti-biotic it seems to be working better already.

Welcome rmc :)

LetsGoMets- Having fun losing weight and not even trying must feel great!

Slash- Very encouraging words from the coach, nice motivation for your son.

LetsGoMets
08-26-2008, 08:03 PM
Hi all. Still trying to get back on track at work after vacation...although I was much more productive today! Yesterday I ran out of gas by mid afternoon...I just felt overwhelmed by everything.

Diane, wow, 52-0!! Last year, a new scoring rule was instituted in our neck of the woods, in that one team cannot be more than 50 points ahead of the other team. I can't recall what happens, i.e., if the game is stopped once one team is 50 points ahead or what. Needless to say, this new rule was not warmly received.

Rmc, we are hard core Mets fans in this household (sorry!). My husband & son have season tix, that is, for every Sunday home game. Way back in the day, I actually was a Yanks fan, back in 70's, when things were wild = the Billy Martin/Reggie Jackson era, etc., when Steinbrenner was really totally NUTS! But that was then...my husband can barely stay in the same room when I talk about my "sordid past"!!

So Day One of middle school went pretty well for my kid. He is really, really tired right now, though, no surprise there! I think we'll shoot for a nice early bedtime tonight for sure.

modcat44
08-26-2008, 11:01 PM
Just checking in before leaving to Vegas tomorrow. I had a pretty good day--did spin class (that really kicks my butt) and ate OP for the day. Trying to be really good before the next 5 days.

My challenges are to not drink alcohol during the day, only at dinner. To make very healthy breakfast and lunch choices so I can enjoy a great dinner at the nice restaurants we've planned, and to visit (actually use) the gym every morning.

I know I can do it--I'm feeling more disciplined every day. Oh I still have my weak moments but fewer of them I think.

On Labor day, I plan on running (jogging) a 5K for the Labor Day 5K here at 3FC. I can do it!

And sorry, all you Mets and Yanks fans--the Cubbies are the ones to beat, and the White Sox are strong, as well! How about a World Series with the Cubs and the White Sox? No one will care except the middle of the country, but Whooee!!

Slashnl
08-27-2008, 08:34 AM
LetsGo: I can see why you might want to limit the score somewhat. I was on the other side of the field last year, when we only won one game (not to mention our baseball team this last season). While I loved that our guys were so well prepared and had great ability (thanks to the new level of coaching), I could feel for the other side! In another division, I saw a score of 62-0, so that was even worse. The team we play this Saturday won't be so easy to beat, so they'll have more of a challenge. **** By the way, sorry about your Mets slipping out of 1st. ****

Clayr - Maybe the quiet house will help with healing, too!!

Modcat - Have fun in Vegas! It sounds like you have a good plan, so you'll do great.

RMC - Welcome! Glad you could join us. We have a lot of sports minded people here. Go Rockies!

Shy Moment
08-27-2008, 08:35 PM
Sorry I haven't been around much lately everyone. Hope everyone is doing pretty good. The knee is pretty bad right now so it takes me 2 and 3 times as long to get anything done. I never give up lol I am getting everything done just takes me all day and I am exhausted by the end of the day. Just about have everything ready for the camping trip too.

lovnmom
08-28-2008, 11:01 AM
Welcome to all the new 3FC chatters...

My apologies to all the "regulars" for skipping out for so long. I went on some unplanned trips with my children and my SIL's and just plain had some "poor me" days so to speak...I'll be catching up again with all of you cuz I found out I just missed you all when I didn't stop in...

school starts next Tues here, but FB's been going for almost 3 wks already.

Diane, I'm sincerely hoping practice is going better for your son now. You sound like me...I should've done. It's not your fault...he'll do what he must. Just support him like you do!!

Have a great day!

Kristi

LetsGoMets
08-28-2008, 12:16 PM
**** By the way, sorry about your Mets slipping out of 1st. ****

Ah, but now we're back in first, after beating the Phillies last night! I swear, this is going to just going to be back and forth til the last day of the regular season...talk about stress!!

So Day Two of middle school seemed to go OK for DS. Again, he was pretty exhausted. He's got a tiny bit of homework already - nothing big, just reviewing 3 new words in Spanish and a little bit of reading. He seems upbeat and enthusiastic, so that's a relief. Being a special needs kid, change has always been hard for him...we've seen through the years that it takes a good month or more for him to settle down into a groove each new school year. So much is different this year...new building, new bus route, new classmates, new aide in the classroom (he had the same "shadow" for 5 years in elementary school). But we just take it one day at a time!

The 6th graders have their first "social" next month...on a Friday after school, at 3:00 p.m. (only the 8th graders get to have a night time social!). I volunteered to help out - even if DS doesn't go, it should be FASCINATING!

So, anyone have any big plans for Labor Day?

Beth61
08-29-2008, 06:51 AM
I'm new to 3fatchicks and can see that it will take me awhile to get caught up on this thread - but hope that you will "accept" me into the conversation just the same - if not for the fact that I am 47, more overweight than I have ever been in my life, and determined to get the weight off, perhaps just because it seems like there are some animal lovers in this group as well... and I reside with (not to mention inhale the hair from), three goofy dogs, six stylish cats and 4 sweet goats. :-) I also have two grandsons (ages 13 months and 16 months) who aren't animals - yet, but are indeed aspiring to become monkeys - what with all the climbing they try to do.

Anyhow... looking forward to getting to know all of you - and giving/receiving support during the battle of the bulge.

suenami
08-29-2008, 08:15 AM
Hi Beth61! You and I sound very similar and we're the same age :)

-Susan

Slashnl
08-29-2008, 08:47 AM
Welcome to Beth and Sue! Don't worry about catching up on what we've said in the past. We're ok with repeating ourselves or just moving on to new topics!! I'm glad you've joined in!

Lovnmom!!! So glad you posted. Just to catch up, football practice has definitely improved. It was just at a level that we weren't expecting. Even with running... even though I know he hates it, he has pushed himself to stay up with the other guys. There are 4-5 that are not great runners, so they usually bring up the tail. But, these are also the big blockers and linemen, so the fast guys are quick to encourage them because they know that the big guys protect them. I just love the way they are such a strong "team". One of the older guys told my son that he has noticed how much weight he has lost and how much faster and stronger he is now. I've noticed it, too. He needed to drop some weight, but I never wanted to push him about it. Now, he's slimmed down some and continues to get stronger. He is feeling very confident and happy. I told him that I need to get his coach to push me, too. Now, did I notice that you're mentioning football practice, too? What age and what team?
Don't worry about having the down time. It happens. We all go through those times. But, let me tell you that you are important to a lot of us here in the 40 somethings! You're a good friend and a good supporter. So, stay in touch!

GoMets: Gotta love middle school socials! My 8th grade daughter is no longer in the middle school because we have a separate school for the 8th and 9th graders (due to overcrowding). They are going to have some type of homecoming dance, but it is on a Saturday night. I'm sure they'll have fun. I just need to hold my breath a little bit. Scary stuff for me!

36Paws
08-29-2008, 08:47 AM
Labor day is hubby and mines anniversary..... we got married in 1995 in Antigua and then were quickly evacuated because of a level five hurricane..... it was quite an adventure actually.....

Took my comp exam yesterday and how I did is anyones guess. Many people fail them the first time so I am hoping I dont have to retake it but who knows.... I typed ten single space pages during the 5 hours that it took me to take the exam....The first thing I did when I got home from the U was go to Borders and buy two books to read for fun so my plan for the weekend is to read.... go to the fair..... and have fun until I start my own class next Wednesday and start teaching on Thursday.

I am down 2.4 this week so thats excellent, brings me to six total in the two weeks I have been watching what I eat... so I am pleased about that.....

I am a bit concerned about this weekend as its the fair so we will go and do that and while I could watch everything I am probably going to eat what I want..... and get right back at it tomm. or the next day.... we go to the fair once a year and we don't eat alot but there are certain things that we like so I am not going to fret about it.....

Beth - Welcome

Mets - glad that school is going well for the kiddo, they called me and asked me if I wanted to babysit oops I mean substitute at the high school this year and I am just not sure I can take it..... I did it for two days last years and one was when they were teaching Animal Farm and the teacher wanted me to show the movie Shrek .... I just about keeled over.... as a sociologist.... Animal Farm is about so much more, revolution, marxism, ..... and here we are watching Shrek...... and this is a highly ranked school.... I just about died.... I am not sure I can make that intellectual jump backwards and do it agian.

hope ou guys are doing well.....

S

rmc9142
08-29-2008, 08:54 AM
From one newbie to another, welcome Beth61! Sounds like you have a full house! We only have one dog, (along with some fish), but she truly is the best dog ever. She's a lab/shepherd mix and has always had the sweetest disposition - even when the kids were small and would try to hug her while she was eating, she'd just nuzzle them. I've tried to get her to go on my walks with me now, but the old lady is just not interested anymore!

Glad to hear your son is settling into his new school LetsGoMets. Change is always difficult, but he's lucky to have you in his corner.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Clydegirl
08-29-2008, 09:14 AM
Hi girls.

I haven't posted in a few days but I've been reading. My weigh in yesterday and I stayed the same. Have to get in a better mindset and do what I know works.

2nd week of school over already. My youngest is settling into middle school. I met her teacher at open house and they have given her an aide. One of the kids left the district and they decided H could have the aide. She seems quite happy at the moment let's hope it continues.

Welcome to the new girls. It's good to have lots of chatter.

lovnmom
08-29-2008, 01:01 PM
Welcome Beth, It looks like you have had some success at losing already. WTG! I too am an animal lover 4 cats now, a tiny all black blue eyed little girl just showed up 2 wks ago, and a dog.

Diane, DS is in 7th grade so he's playing for his junior high team. We're such a small school that he was actually able to play last year even though 6th grade isn't junior high. Last year all the running took him by surprise too especially when they first ran hills "in pads." This year he's rockin' out though. A lot of testosterone has shown up in the past year. Their first game is next Thursday, the 4th, he's playing middle line man on defence and full back on offence. That makes me nervous (fb's carry the ball) everyone's going to be trying to "get him." Last year he was center and nose guard. No one really pushes them around too much at the jh level...if it gets too rough for me he knows I plan to go to his sister's volley ball games instead. Thanks so much for the p.m. and the warm welcome back. I see your weight dropped during my absence, WTG!!!

36Paws, Enjoy your anniversary and the fair, good luck on your test score, great job on the weight loss. I'm looking forward to getting to know you.

You have a great day too rmc!

Clyde, that's wonderful that H can have an aid..I hope it all goes well for her. How's your DD who's off to college??

My children and I visited my SIL in MNPLS last week. We toured the Museum of Science which was really cool and then went to the MN state fair. The fair was way bigger than the WI state fair. Really too big. W/O a clear advance plan we didn't actually see much of what it had to offer, but it was fun....hilarious...we were walking behind 3 "city" girls and a young man, all in their mid twenties, we passed the cattle building and two very large cows were out front...we overheard one of the girls say, "ooooo look, won't that make a lot of bacon," hee hee...my DD commented that the funniest part was that not any of the girl's companions corrected her!!!

Have a great day all!

tt15
08-29-2008, 05:27 PM
Well Hope Everyone has has a good week. I have just been reading posts this week. I have not been doing very good with my food diet. Exercise has been good. I have had a crazy week at work and I didn't get home until late all week it seems everytime my schedule is interrupted I say to myself (ahh what the hay, I"ll do better tomorrow. Well I am finding it harder and harder to loose weight ( being 43, using this as an excuse). I will try harder next week.
This weekend I plan on canning and working on the farm, hope the weather is good here in central pa. Well I must be off...... Have a great weekend.
tt

lovnmom
08-29-2008, 10:05 PM
tt, enjoy your time on the farm...better luck getting on track...you're focused on it. That's the first step!!

Shy Moment
08-30-2008, 06:37 AM
Beth
Hi and welcome

Just off to the camp grounds until Monday. Thought I would stop in and say hello.

Beth61
08-30-2008, 07:29 AM
Thank you so much for the warm welcome - and hi Susan, it is always nice not to be the only new person. Yesterday I spent the entire afternoon sucking up fur and cleaning house. I never understand why I wait until EVERY room in the house needs my attention. Anyhow, it was great to wake up early on a Saturday morning to a nice neat and sparkling home - well, okay, with the exception of a bunch of dirty dishes my kids threw in the sink - I guess I can understand why that would happen... after all, the dishwasher is a whole 12 inches from the sink... ha.

I was so hungry at the end of the day that I had an extra 10 almonds and 10 pretzles - which will probably mean I won't lose anything now again for week... ugh.

Well anyhow, all my dogs are play fighting - loudly - so I need to go and staple them to the living room furniture - take care all and have a great day!

lovnmom
08-30-2008, 09:27 AM
Hi Beth, yep my kid's arms are shorter than 12 inches too hah hah. Dishes always in the sink instead. I got busy yesterday and got most of the housework done as well..we're off to Wal Mart and Aldi today and will finish the trip with chinese buffet...that'll make your ten extra almonds and pretzels look pretty tame...which it is. Those were two really healthy choices. You should be proud of yourself.

Rennie, Have a great time camping.

Have a great day all!

sillycat4
08-30-2008, 05:15 PM
That said - been busy here.. Just finished cleaning the house. Hit my initial goal of 120 - not quite happy with it though.... still have this squishy stuff around my tummy. That said - most of my clothes fit which is all good..

Went hiking last weekend with new boyfriend - well month & 1/2 is still new right?

Anyway we got lost a bit on the 2nd hike had blisters and barely made it thruogh my work out on Monday - then sat at the office for a couple hours and could barely walk - OUCH - all back together now - getting ready for another run then dinner out tonight - barbeque tomorrow and an outdoor music festival in Seattle on Monday - weekends like this are hard to behave..

C.

lovnmom
08-30-2008, 05:39 PM
sillycat4, WTG for hitting your goal!!

sillycat4
08-30-2008, 09:25 PM
I'm going to check in more than I have been - I have been remiss - it looks like youve got some more of those little cheerleaders going which is all good - It's hard to figure out where the stop losing go into maintenance mode..

anyway - also bought this GPS watch that monitors heart rate / distance etc - it's motivating me to run further - which I guess is good - I want to do a 1/2 marathon before I turn 46 - so hoping this thing will help motivate me to do that.

C.

Beth61
08-31-2008, 08:27 AM
It's Sunday morning... feels more like it should be another Saturday - what a beautiful day it was yesterday too - the weather was fantastic here... I'm always so sad to see summer go though - it is about this time of year that I begin wondering why I don't live in the south - where summer lasts so much longer!

Hope everyone is doing well and enjoying this long weekend!

alwaysej
08-31-2008, 10:31 AM
I guess i go here, I am 45 yrs old and I want a better me. Fit and trim. I have today and tomorrow off so I have so many things to do, Hello everyone!

sillycat4
08-31-2008, 12:03 PM
I'm 45 too - just turned at the end of June. I started here in March - started becoming the fitter trimmer me in Jan - down 45lbs since the beginning of the year and have MUCH more muscle tone - I feel better and owe a lot of it to the gals on this site for keeping me on track and stoping all the negative self talk I had going on.

So - welcome and always come back here for support and advice and just plain general help with this journey.

C.

Slashnl
08-31-2008, 12:07 PM
Welcome to Alwaysej! Yep, you fit in here!

Sillycat, glad you posted again. You were missed! You're doing great with your weight loss, good for you!

Beth, I know what you mean about seeing summer go away. I lived in the mountains for 8 years where the summers were very short. Now, I live where it is warmer, but I have never gotten over the "sorry to see summer go" feeling. Even though we have had over 90 degree temperatures forever. I'm ok with it! But, we drove up to a lake yesterday and I noticed that the trees and bushes are just starting to turn colors. Fall is coming.

Rennie: Hope you have fun at the campground!

tt15: Have fun at the farm!

Clyde: Hope the weekend is great for you, too.

Lovn: It looks like our sons are the same age (12) and my daughter is in volleyball, too. She's 14. The boys had a football game yesterday and they were awesome again. They won 42-6. They really are a good, disciplined team, so I think they'll go far this year. This is just such a treat after such a dismal season last year. Our boys don't play for the school until 9th grade. They are playing in the county's junior football association. It's a huge program. They break out the teams into 5th graders, 6th graders, 7th/8th combined, but split into lightweights and heavyweights. My son is in 7th grade, heavyweights. It makes me kind of laugh that the boys think it is such a cool thing to be on the heavyweights (mainly because they are the ones who generally get to play in high school because of their size). Can you imagine splitting a girls team into lightweights and heavyweights? You would have a bunch of devastated girls. Anyway... there are 8 teams total in heavyweights and we play a different team each week until the playoffs at the end. I think our guys have a great chance of going to the superbowl. It's a big deal for them because they get to play at the local college/high school field. I absolutely love this sport even though they have a chance to get hurt. The teamwork and cameraderie are amazing this year. My daughter had fun, too. She is their team manager (water girl), so she got to hang out with the boys. She's in 8th grade, so she knows a lot of them. My goodness that girl can flirt. Where did she get that from????

Ok, if I missed anyone, I hope this is a great weekend all across the country! We're having a little bit of rain today, which is ok. We were going to go camping this weekend, but they said it would be rainy today and tomorrow, so we're skipping it. We went fishing last night (my husband likes to fly fish at night on the lake), and we got home late, so I'm dragging a bit today. We'll see what I get done.

My daughter finds out on Tuesday what team she will be on for volleyball. She has worked hard, so I hope she makes it on to the A team.

Until then... I have a few chores to do this weekend!

lovnmom
09-01-2008, 09:45 AM
Beth, Our weather has been unbelievably beautiful as well. It's been a great way for my children to end their summer. Today is their last day of freedom. We may go to a parade, but for the most part we're just going to hang out relaxing and then try to go to bed by 9pm. Wish me luck with that!!

Welcome alwaysej, I'm 44 and started on this journey for better health in May 2006. Of course I'd been on many diets before that. Gaining and losing the same 30 pounds. Now I too just want to be fit and healthy and am not worrying about the size of my jeans. 3FC has a lot of good advice and hugs to help make the journey easier.

Diane, Big city leagues are so much different than here in the boonies!! There will be no play offs of any kind at the junior high level and we definitely don't split light and heavy weights. We wouldn't have enough boys!!!! My son's team only lost one game last season, but we do not anticipate a repeat as most of our big linemen moved up to high school this year. Ds first game is away Thursday night. Either my husband or I will have to miss it. I have two other children who have to get to soccer practice here at home...unnnleeees I can get my mom to get them to practice. That's a good idea. I just hate missing games!!! My 8 y/o DS is the water boy for our team. We don't have to worry about him flirting hee hee....Good luck to your DD.

All's well here in WI. The kids and I got our bathroom painted last week and it looks very nice. I was brave and let them pick the shower curtain and then they picked paint to match it. They did not pick anything like I would have picked and I absolutely love it. Just goes to show mom doesn't always know best. Hoping to ride bike this a.m. My children like to ride to get ice cream treats and I think today I will have one as well since today summer is officially over for us. I know celebrating with food is all wrong, but it will be a controlled celebration and the biking burns most of the calories. I always feel it's a good lesson I'm teaching. Have a treat, but enjoy using your body to get there. Have a great day all.

Slashnl
09-01-2008, 10:08 AM
Lovn: It's funny how different things are all over the country. You're talking about going back to school, and my kids have been there for 2 weeks now. Mine will have a fun time getting up tomorrow. They've been sleeping in a lot this weekend. I normally let them sleep in a little bit, but they both have had colds, so I wanted them to get as much rest as possible.

It rained some yesterday, so the weather has cooled some. We needed that! I don't have a lot planned today, except for laundry. We might ride our horses if the rain doesn't come back.

Then... back to work and school tomorrow.

TechAlum
09-01-2008, 03:43 PM
Hello All,

We're back from vacation, it was a nice relaxing time. We went to the Finger Lakes area of NY. Drank too much wine the first couple of days, but surprisingly when I weighed in on Sat stayed the same and Fri night we had steak at home. Of course Sat we went out to my parents and had brats and potato salad :( Oh well, I don't eat like that every day. Today we broke the bikes back out, unfortunately we waited too long and it was pretty warm out, but we still did about 15 miles so I'm pretty happy. Now I won't feel guilty about the corn chips with my avocado salsa this afternoon, although I will abstain from the hurricane and have an iced tea instead.

I've read all the posts, welcome newbies, congrats sillycat on meeting your original goal, :wave: to everyone else.

Have a great rest of the holiday everyone.

-Tech

alwaysej
09-01-2008, 04:03 PM
thank you all for the nice welcome!!!
You all are such nice people. I feel very welcome!!!

Shy Moment
09-01-2008, 07:17 PM
Silly
Congrats

Tech
Welcome back

Just got back from camping and haven't even cleaned the car out yet lol. Just thought I would stop in and say hello. Had a wonderful relaxing time.

scaryshari
09-01-2008, 11:40 PM
Hi all - I'm baacckkk! Been away and crazy for a while and now I also have to fight two teens for the computer :dz:

I travelled across the border to Duluth this past week to shop for 5 kids for school - now that was insane! :dizzy: It has been over 16 years since I have been there - what a beautiful city!

I was afraid to weigh in after the past two weeks of travel and stress, plus TOM was visiting - so unofficially I weighed myself - it was the same - neither up nor down. That was good news, as my walking was sporatic and we were dining out quite a bit.

Tomorrow I will do the official weigh in - I feel confident that it will be good. My plan for September is to walk 100 km in the month. So far 5 k is down!:carrot:

Anyhoo - good luck to all this coming week!

Shari

sillycat4
09-02-2008, 10:44 AM
Just finished 4 mile run + strength training. Off to shower and work

Shari - it's ok - at TOM we all bloat out so don't let it get to you.

Cool - camping sounds fun hope you had a great time - where did you go shy?

Tech - don't worry about one meal - just enjoy it and then get back on the wagon - heck you guys are the ones that taught me not to take one meal or one day too seriously and I believe that stopping the negative self talk freed me up to live a little which made the whole weight loss thing more tollerable.

Hang in there all - and have a great day!

Diane - hope work is going better these days!!

lovnmom
09-02-2008, 12:31 PM
Diane, Hope your kiddies are feeling better. We're suppose to get rain today and I hope we do. The humidity has been running at 100% for a few days in a row again. It makes for an awful lot of sweat when walking!! Yep, dropped the kids off at school this a.m. and then went to brkfst with a friend and then we walked 3 miles. It's kind of been a tradition for us the past few years. She's my best friend and our 6th grade daughters are best friends too. It's a nice way for us to send them off each year.

Tech, We had a little impromtu party yesterday afternoon and I had a couple too many Berry Weiss beers. That's probably why my walk was so sweaty this morning! Glad you had a good vacation.

alwaysej, I'm glad you feel welcome!

scaryshari, I'm glad you survived the back to school shopping trip. It can be a nightmare. Good luck on meeting your exercise goals. There are some great threads in the exercise portion to keep track of your exercise if you're not already doing that and would like too.

sillycat, You hang in there and have a great day too!

Clydegirl
09-02-2008, 02:55 PM
Hi girls.

I haven't been posting much but I always check in.

It's so humid here and tomorrow we're getting rain from Gustav which should cool things down. Just got home from my volunteer work that always keeps me busy.

Welcome to the new girls.

scaryshari
09-02-2008, 10:36 PM
Hi all! Official weigh in today was good - reached my 20lb loss:cheer2: Tomorrow the kids start their first full day of school and on the bus. I am hoping things will settle down again. I am thinking an addition to my walking is needed soon - more weights, yoga? don't know yet.

I hope you all do well this week!

Shari

lovnmom
09-03-2008, 07:23 AM
Clyde, Glad you're checking in. Hope all is good.

shari, Great job on meeting your goal. You should be proud! Thanks for the encouragement for a good week. I need all the cheering I can get right now!

Beth61
09-03-2008, 08:05 AM
I decided not to weigh in for a couple more days given the fact that I didn't following a very careful plan this weekend - not to mention the fact that TOM is expected to visit here in the next day or two - ... that guy sure gets around now doesn't he??

Like yesterday, my day will be spent with my 16 month old grandson while his parents are at college and work - I know I need to do more about getting some extra exercise - so that I can keep up with him for the rest of this school year! :-)

The weather is STILL beautiful here... my heart goes out to those who are weathering the storm down south...

Slashnl
09-03-2008, 08:27 AM
Just a quick check in for me. I need to get ready for work and I was busy "helping" kids get up and get going. Some days are harder for them than others!

Really nice weather here finally. I'm taking my shoes to walk at lunch. Oh, and I have to fix a lunch, so that's why I have to hurry! Have a great day everyone!

TechAlum
09-03-2008, 11:22 AM
Happy Hump Day All,

Not doing to shabby here, took a peek at the scale (I usually do mid week) and was down 2 lbs. I won't change my tracker until it's official on Friday but I am pretty happy :D. Got some exercise yesterday I walked with my mom in the morning and DH and I went back to the gym in the evening before dinner. Not sure about today I was hoping to get in a bike ride but it's warm and a little muggy (I don't do heat well and the older I get the worse it gets) so I may leave that for tomorrow. We'll see what I can do today. I'm off to the grocery store to pick up some odds and ends, plus doing laundry. Those jobs seem to be never ending.

I just wanted to add a word of caution to people. I got these energy drink tablets at a party I went too. They're all natural, nothing I hadn't had before. You dissolve them in water add ice and drink. I tried one yesterday, man did they upset my stomach, my heart was racing at the gym and last night I had the worst headache. Apparently they did not agree with me at ALL. My DH goes well you know pot is all natural, that doesn't mean it's good for you. So just be careful what you put in your bodies.

Shari - :carrot: Congratulations!

Beth - TOM is due for a visit here next week. Have fun with that grandson.

Cat - I never worry about 1 meal, as long as it doesn't start a trend.

Rennie - Glad you had fun camping. We did too.

Clyde - Nice to hear from you. Send some of that rain this way. All the grass around here is brown, brown, brown.

Dianne - Hope you had fun on your walk.

Lovn - That's cool that your daughter's best friends with your friend from school's daughter. Had you remained friends or did you "meet again" when they became friends?

Well I should get moving or I won't have anything for lunch :?:.

-Tech

36Paws
09-03-2008, 08:32 PM
I didnt weight in over labor day... went to the fair and overall had a good time this weekend.... so weighed in today and while I might not lose I haven't gained so that is good....
started my class today and will start teaching tomm. so its been a busy week....
once I am back at school it should be easier... especially being so busy

hope all are doing well.
s

Debala
09-03-2008, 08:56 PM
Hi all. Thought I'd join you, though I've been waiting till a September thread was started. LOL

I started my journey on July 15th, my 45th birthday. I woke up that morning and took myself to a WW meeting. Since then not only have I been eating healthier, I have also been exercising, first time in my life.

I look forward to getting to knowing you all better.

tt15
09-03-2008, 09:58 PM
I'm with Debbie..... just waiting for Sept thread.... LOL. I enjoy reading all the posts, even though I'm not much of a writer. My life is very hectic and this is the way I unwind. Hope everyone is getting back to the school routines and the shorter daylight hours! It has been beautiful here in PA.
Have a great day.
tt15

Shy Moment
09-03-2008, 11:39 PM
Tech
Glad you had a great time. I love the camp grounds. Sure there is work involved getting everything set up and then having to pack everything up but in between is my relax time.

Back at the docs again today for this darn knee. I was told no walking aerobic videos for the whole month. No walking. No doing anything that is hard on the knees lol. She said I could join curves if I wanted because the machines are pretty low impact on the knees except for the squat machine. Does anyone go there? We have three of them in the area. One I know is horrible because I went there with a friend to check it out. The one I went to check out today seemed ok. Seems you do a 30 min workout two sets of a circuit on all the machines they have and then you use the stretch machine. They also have something on the machines that tracks that you are using them correctly and tracks your heart rate and such as I understand it. Wonder if it is worth the money to add to what I have been doing? 99 to sign up and 34 a month seems like a lot of money if it isn't worth bothering with.

Deb
Welcome
45 is a great time to start getting in shape. Well, any age is a great time to start getting in shape lol. You are going to have wonderful years ahead of you. Might as well be in the best shape you can be.

tt
Welcome
You will find we are a great group of people here and we love to give encouragement and have a few laughs.

WardHog
09-04-2008, 06:50 AM
Rennie, I know a lot of people like Curves because it's a simple routine, but I know others whose bodies got accustomed to those machines quickly and then stopped making progress. I go to Gold's Gym and I pay less than what you quoted for Curves. There is tons of equipment there, cardio and weights machines and also lots of classes to choose from. Just my 2c. :)

lovnmom
09-04-2008, 08:34 AM
Beth61, Glad you're having fun with your grandson...I'm just finishing TOM myself and it was a doozy this time...I weighed almost 4 pounds more yesterday than I did on Tues or this morning...crazy, but at least that's what it was..Pfew!

Diane, Sounds like you're doing really well. Packing a healthy lunch, I'm sure, and taking shoes to walk during break. WTG!! My kids had a rude awakening yesterday. A lot more children are riding their bus and it arrived more than 15 minutes earlier yesterday than it did last year, but he's already later today than yesterday so maybe it will level out.

Tech, Sorry to hear about your bad experience with the energy pills. That can be really scary. Actually my best friend and I have become that way due to our daughters realtionship. She's 9 years younger than me so I met her just 6 years ago when our girls started playing soccer together. We just all fit. Her son is a year older than my oldest son and they play all the sports together and her hubs and mine get along well too. We even did vacation together this year and had a blast.

36Paws, good luck in class and teaching. Glad you had a good time at the fair.

Debala, Wow you are doing awesome. Great job! I've been thinking we should start a Sept thread as well. Glad you jumped in anyway.

tt15, Hope you had a great day as well.

DS has his first FB game of the season tonight. He's playing full back and middle lineman and will be doing the kicking and punting. DD has volleyball practice and younger son has soccer so we haven't decided if DH or I am going to his game yet. It's raining now so I hope that quits before 5pm!!!

Hope everyone has a great day!

Slashnl
09-04-2008, 08:44 AM
Lovn, looks like someone else started a September chat thread. But, I wanted to comment back to you, so I'm holding on to August for one more post!
That's funny what you said about the bus being early. My kids bus is coming about 20 minutes earlier than last year because they changed the routes.

Walking was good yesterday. The weather was beautiful. My friend is having relationship issues, so I think it helped her to talk while I just breathed hard!

Shy Moment
09-04-2008, 10:07 AM
Ward
I live in a tiny town. We don't have anything around here at all. I might hold off on the curves. I can't see money being spent on something that isn't going to be doing me any good. Thanks