Alternachicks - August already! chat

View Full Version : August already! chat

guynna
08-02-2008, 08:34 AM
hi all -- happy weekend! As of this morning I had lost my first 5%! ! ! I can smell those 240s coming! I went out and spent a bunch of money at clothing sales yesterday (tax holiday weekend in NC) and bought one size smaller in several items. I"m looking forward to another big shop at Christmas time.
Woo hoo! :carrot: Woo hoo!
anita

x meowkat x
08-02-2008, 03:26 PM
Congratulations on the loss! I have about 8 more lbs to go before I hit my 10% goal...I can't wait! I'm also looking forward to some shopping...but that probably won't happen for a long time. I still have lots of my old clothes from high school I can wear when I've lost more (saves money, oh yeah) and even though I'm losing on the scale, all the sizes 16-18 I have now still feel the same on my body :(

Saw the X Files movie last night and loved it, because I'm a big nerd. Today I get to help my bf shop for a suit, as we have 2 weddings to attend this month. I'm actually really jazzed about that too, because it's rare I see him in something other than ripped jeans and a tshirt...let alone a SUIT lol

150reasons
08-04-2008, 12:22 AM
I too am waiting for that drop in clothing size. It seems like I've been in an 18 forever. I WANNA SIZE 16!!!:cry: I also have not stepped on the scale since I began this journey. I am afraid of the number I may see. I have decided that once I can wear a 16 I will weigh myself. It will still be high, but not so high as to send me into shock (like the last time I weighed myself, over two years ago)

jandaman
08-04-2008, 05:51 AM
an auspiciously advantageous august all!!! i have been teaching esl beginners so i feel the need to rock out with the multisyllabic words and alliteration.

guynna! congrats! howzabout some progress pics??!!
hopefully i will be able to retire my fat pants by end of august.

meowkat-movie any good? used to think scully was the cat's meow (ouch! lame pun) but donno.....

aloha 150 reasons...what're ur top 5 for getting healthy? i have been reevaluating mine

so now that i am finally on vacation i hope i kin get my bertha-sized booty back on track and keep up w/correspondence and stuff and stuff

xxxxxooooooooo

oh, hey welcome back irish!!

ghost
08-04-2008, 04:38 PM
I'm new to the 3FC scene, but I feel like I'll probably fit in best round these alternachic parts. So I guess this is hello.

How the heck did august creep up on me like this? Its like a cruel joke everybody is playing on me.

guynna
08-04-2008, 06:42 PM
welcome, ghost! hey janda!

Anybody else here a fan of the TLC show _what not to wear_? I just bought an outfit that Stacy and Clinton would so loooove: black and white circle skirt, little one-button jacket with seaming that defines the waist (over a red cami I already own), and red peep-toe wedge shoes -- WOW! And the skirt is a size 18 and fits! I can't wait to wear it somewhere : )
anita

ghost
08-04-2008, 07:58 PM
I love what not to wear...I watch it like the news. Everytime I buy clothes I think, WWS&CD (what would stacy and clinton do), LMAO! The last time I went shoe shopping I said, to heck with sensible, I'm going expensive and classic! Best shoe choice I ever made...open toes red patent leather heals...haven't found an outfit I can't wear them with yet.

guynna
08-04-2008, 10:10 PM
WWS&CD (what would stacy and clinton do) -- so fabulous! That will be my new motto!
anita

chickenmonkey
08-05-2008, 02:29 AM
man i haven't watched that show in awhile. I keep forgetting about it. I'm really hooked on project runway right now and american dance crew. Fanny Pak rocks. :)

I did go shopping last week. I haven't dropped a dress size, but I bought a dress I really liked that was only available in a size lower. So, I figured it's my little motivational red dress.

mauvaisroux
08-05-2008, 10:23 PM
Guynna - congratulations on the 5% loss! :bravo: Your outfit sounds fabulous!

Welcome Ghost! :wave: I was thinking the same about shoes at a shop I was in today! All the styles were those flat ballet style, sporty sandals or "old lady work shoes" - where the heck were all the sexy shoes? :p

What Not To Wear - love that show! I have been watching the original British show with Trinny and Susannah - those two make me laugh out loud!

Sadly, on one or two episodes I have seen a person on the American show that made me think of myself - i.e. love of rockabilly, goth and mostly black clothing - collection of weird purses and shoes and obsession with leopard print. :lol: Oh, and there was this gothic interior decorator girl who was 23 years old or so and Stacey and Clinton told her she needed to grow up and wear adult clothing - ack! What does that say about me at 40??!!! :rolleyes:

As I say this I am planning on packing my corsets and funky purses for a convention I am going to next week! :rofl:

150reasons
08-06-2008, 01:15 AM
Top five reasons for getting healthy:
1. My beautiful boys. They are active and healthy, and I want them to stay that way.

2. Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE in my family is diabetic. I want to be the odd one out on that one.

3. I have simply not felt like myself since I gained all this weight. I want to be "me" again.

4. Newly divorced, I'm back on the market, hehehe:cool: I also kind of want to do an "in your face" to the ex. Is that bad?

5. Because I'm worth it. And it has taken me a very long time to be able to say that about myself.

guynna
08-06-2008, 11:15 AM
hi, 150 -- #5 is absolutely true and should be #1!! And I don't think #4 is bad at all -- just human ; )

I remember that interior decorator "fashion victim"! She was really cute... but I don't know that I'd want her to do my house (if I had the money to have someone "do" my house).
anita

darling clementine
08-07-2008, 12:13 AM
Hey there! I wanted to pop in and intro myself here...think I fit in a bit more round these parts :)

Me, in a nutshell:
31 years old, 5'3, 183 lbs. want to lose about 45 lbs.
am a retail manager by day and a tattooed rockabilly-esque burlesque performer, by night :belly:
i've gained more weight after i started performing than ever before...kinda weird to think that being a strip-teaser would do THAT to somebody!

jandaman
08-07-2008, 05:34 AM
urrrrghhh. just wrote this humongous post and mozilla just up and went kaput. sigh. more later.

ollie27
08-07-2008, 09:32 AM
i'm popping in too. i tried to butt in on the july chat, but it was the 31st or something and i think i was just talking to meself. i'm surfing these boards so much i gotta be productive and actually post.

i'm an english grad student by day and night. and hang out with the husband and cats in my spare time. i noticed a couple of fellow literature lovers and teachers o'english on this board, which is groovy.

just trying to get in shape and make a lifestyle change. it's easy right now because i have the summer off, but my prob is time management when the going gets rough.

clementine - burlesque:) cool. i just moved, but my home town had the "rosey peep show" which i used to frequent. welcome.

150reasons - i feel ya on the diabetes scare.

not much else to add to the conversation cause i hate shopping and television, but i wanted to say hello to everyone and give ya a heads up that i'll be throwing my two cents in here and there.

have a nice day:)

mauvaisroux
08-07-2008, 08:31 PM
Hey Ollie! :wave: haven't seen you around for a while - hope everything is well with you. :)

Welcome 150 and Darling Clementine! :D

ollie27
08-08-2008, 02:24 PM
everything is well, mauvaisroux. i fell off the forums as i had to write a huge paper and then move 1200 miles away shortly afterwards, which is a wee bit hard to coordinate. now that i am a bit more settled, i'm back on track with exercise and my obsession with this site:) hope your summer is a swell one thus far.

yesterday was my and my husband's second wedding anniversary so we celebrated. i went a little off plan, but we did tons of walking around the city and it pretty much evened out. guinness is my fav low cal drink and i had quite a few last night (with only a few more cals than amstel light, i think it's worth it). good times.

hope everyone's friday is going smoothly. so glad the weekend is here.

cheers. (funny, this is where we went last night).

guynna
08-08-2008, 03:53 PM
happy anniversary ollie! I'm with you on the guinness : )
anita

mauvaisroux
08-08-2008, 06:06 PM
Happy Anniversary Ollie! :congrat:

My summer has been really good so far - I just wish we had more sunny days here! :sunny:

I'm a Guinness girl too! :D

As for diet and exercise I am maintaining at size 12-14 but I am hoping to be down to goal of size 10 by October. :crossed:

ollie27
08-09-2008, 10:40 AM
thanks for the anniversary well wishes, guys.

Guinness - i was surprised when i learned that a guinness draught only has 125 calories! that's about the same as a glass of red wine. if i had my way, my fav beers are the heavy lagers and stouts that can come in over 200 cals a glass, so i was pleased to learn this about guinness.

mauvaisroux i just moved from the deep south to new england, so i hear ya on wishin summer had more sunny days. honestly, i miss the extreme heat. there's absolutely nothin to gear small talk towards in the line at the market now. it's in the 50s at night here and it's still august. insane. lots of rain up here, too.:rain:

i'm hangin at a loose 14 right now as well. so we both can shoot for this 10 business by october. i do have one pair of 10 jeans which i have never worn that i keep lookin towards for a friendly reminder. we got this thang, yo. :goodvibes

i'm off to spend the day cleaning. jealous?

guynna
08-10-2008, 01:11 PM
: ( Pardon me while I feel whiny.... We had dinner last night with some friends I hadn't seen all summer, had a really good time, ate well (in all senses of the word). And... no one said "oh, have you lost some weight?" No one noticed that I had gotten new (very different) glasses. I FEEL really good, and my clothes are loose, but no one can tell! Heck, I might as well stay home with hubby if no one's going to notice. Waaaah!
Ok, thanks for listening. Tell me to shut up now.
anita

ollie27
08-10-2008, 04:52 PM
anita - just because no one said anything, doesn't mean no one noticed. i find that a lot of people are hesitant to say anything b/c what if they are wrong? sounds like they are just bringing up someone's weight as a topic of conversation.

if you feel great that's the most important thing. i've been reading your posts and it sounds like you are really in to what yer doin. keep it up!

and people will eventually say something, it just takes em awhile to do so;)

also. i wear glasses and have changed frames a few times over the year and no one has ever said anything. however, i notice every time someone else does. i've come to learn that i'm simply more observant than others. sometimes that's just the way the chips fall. i'm sure you look fabulous.

now shut up and keep it up:)

guynna
08-11-2008, 09:45 AM
thanks - i needed that!
keepin on keepin on....

guynna
08-11-2008, 03:16 PM
Woo hoo --- went thru the attic and pulled out a big armload of old clothes to try on. Now they're washed and hanging in my closet, wearable again! (And a couple of things that are soooo close, just a few pounds away from being wearable.... I'll try them on periodically to check my progress.) Also picked half a dozen things to give away; Stacy and Clinton wouldn't like them.

Hope you are all having a good one; how are all our vacationers?? Back now, suntanned and smiling, I hope : )
anita

mauvaisroux
08-11-2008, 07:53 PM
Guinness is apparently chock full of vitamins too! :)

Guynna - tha's great about the clothes fitting you now! :D

Well I am off to Indianapolis for a week of being immersed in a games convention - should be fun! :cb: Talk to you all next weekk! :wave:

guynna
08-11-2008, 07:59 PM
When we were in Ireland we saw big poster-ads saying "guinness for strength" and "guinness is good for you" !!

Travel carefully and have fun!
anita

ollie27
08-12-2008, 08:36 AM
i've read somewhere, and i forgot where, that in ireland pregnant chicks drink guinness on doc's orders.

kinda like the dark chocolate thing--every time i eat it, i think about all the anti-oxidants i'm giving my body.

have fun in indianapolis mauvaisroux! when you say games, like d and d or what?

congrats on the attic cleansing anita! i'm sure that feels so good. i have a small stack of clothes waiting on me to get back to my pre-quitting smoking weight. although most i have given away as it has been a few years. but i saved a couple of choice things. measuring this weight loss thang by size is hard for me though cause i carry my weight all in the belly, butt, and thighs and even though i am losing that's always the last to go. that's just how the cookie crumbles.

i remember this forum got really slooooow last summer and that's one reason that precipitated, among other things, my slackness. i'm going to try to post daily b/c when i am on here i am losing and when i am not, i am not. weird i know.

i've been floating between the same 2 pounds for over a two weeks now and am so ready to see the 140s! this morning it was 150.3 and i know if i just give it a push i can get there by the end of the week.

so, anita, mind if i call you anita? i guess it's just you and me for a couple of days. holler at me if you need some support, kay? how's the weather in the carolinas? man, i miss the south. last night i slept with a sheet, quilt, and then a blanket. in august. so unnatural. i'm so not prepared for a new england winter.

have a nice day:)

guynna
08-12-2008, 09:58 PM
hi ollie! yup, I'm Anita. Where in the south are y'all from? I'm a native Virginian, displaced from there for some years. In NC it was just lovely today -- not too hot, high in the 80s, a bit breezy.

I find this site really helpful too -- although no one here is like Big Brother (or Sister), I think it makes me feel more accountable. Or something. The whole diet / relationship with food thing is complicated. I read some of the Beck discussion group the other day and liked what I saw; it's about "thinking like a thin person," changing the way you think about food and hunger.

Anyhoo, enjoy that "good sleepin' weather" !
anita

missygith
08-13-2008, 12:42 AM
Hey girls,you've been hogging this thread too long! LOL sorry, couldnt resist. It sure is slow in August, eh?
Anita, Im a slow responder here.... One thing that always gets people asking about the weight loss is new clothes. Clothes that are a little baggy still look like your old clothes. I even had people asking me if I had lost weight when I had gained weight! New fitting clothes do the trick. ;)
have a good nights sleep! Missy

guynna
08-13-2008, 08:05 AM
hi MissyG -- good point about new duds; thanks. How's the weather there in Onederland?!? I can't wait to join you there : )
anita

ollie27
08-13-2008, 05:19 PM
missy--not trying to hog, promise! just creeping along through august jealous that i am not on holiday as everyone else seems to be. oh well, i'll talk to myself on this thing if i have to. like i said, i do much better when i post. ~cheers.

anita--i'm from north alabama and recently moved to the boston area. definitely ain't in kansas anymore.

ditto on the changing the way you think about food and hunger. my biggest obstacle is leaving behind "comfort foods" i.e. i had a bad day so that means i can eat a quart of ice cream and drink a 2 liter of dr. pepper to make it all better. tis gettin better. hard when you got someone in the house that still has the same bad habits. it's like you gotta have the will power of two.

ghost
08-13-2008, 06:09 PM
Guiness is good for you?!? OMG, I'm so going to the likka stow after work.

So, any alternachicks up for a Samhain challenge? I do best with goals and the end of october is a "goal" month for me because thats when I'm heading to San Fran to see my man. I'd love to lose at least 16# by then. Any joiners? If there are we can start a thread.

guynna
08-13-2008, 06:31 PM
I'm going to a wedding in early Nov and would like to need a new outfit -- I'm in! (And maybe a bonfire-dancing outfit too...)
anita

ghost
08-13-2008, 06:47 PM
YA! I think two is enough for a challenge, I'll start a thread and others can join as they see fit.

ollie27
08-14-2008, 09:13 AM
good idea ghost! san fran to see your man, huh? that's got a nice ring to it. i need some inspiration and accountability for when class starts back cause that's when i tend to sit on me arse all the time (reading and studying of course) but have trouble making time for exercise.

*weighed 149.9 this morning, wondering if its gonna stick*

other than that just saying hello told you all i was posting everyday to remind myself to do this thang.

viva la revolution!

LetsGoMets
08-14-2008, 10:08 AM
Glad to read how much everyone here likes Guinness... I work for the company that makes it!

Ollie, have you been through a real winter before? As someone who grew up just outside of NYC and has been living in Connecticut for a long time, I love the change of seasons. But I could understand how someone who's not used to the cold would suffer up here.

guynna
08-14-2008, 10:28 AM
Wooo, Mets, do you get a discount?!??

"Real winters" can be a shock. I am a native Virginian who lived in Wi for several years. Brrr! I like seasons too -- LOOVE spring and fall -- but winter just shouldn't last that long.
anita

LetsGoMets
08-14-2008, 10:41 AM
We sort of get a discount...that is to say, every quarter, we are reimbursed for whatever we've spent on our own products. The amount we get back varies by what level employee you are. At my level, we get $900 a year.

Back in "the day," I've heard it was standard to send employees on a tour of the Guinness brewery in Dublin. That practice came to an end a number of years ago - just way too expensive. I've only worked here 6 months but people still talk about it.

The Guinness people sit on the 5th floor and are a crazy group. They have a gigantic electronic ticker that counts down the days until St. Patrick's Day, which for Guinness, is a very important day on the fiscal calendar.

Our company makes many other premium brands but of course Guinness is one of the most famous and iconic.

Anyway, yes, it does seem that winter can go much longer than the other 3 seasons!! We got off easy last winter - it really wasn't too bad, my son only had 3 snow days. So we'll see what Mother Nature gives us this year. Hopefully, she won't go too nuts on us!

ollie27
08-14-2008, 11:21 AM
Glad to read how much everyone here likes Guinness... I work for the company that makes it!

Ollie, have you been through a real winter before? As someone who grew up just outside of NYC and has been living in Connecticut for a long time, I love the change of seasons. But I could understand how someone who's not used to the cold would suffer up here.

you work for Guinness? word.

the winter bit - ummm. i haven't seen snow in years and years. i'm kinda freakin out about what's to come as i feel totally unprepared. never have i ever shoveled snow or made a snowman that was bigger than 10 inches. i feel like i should be ducktaping my windows and buying batteries or something...is this why everyone is so pissy up here? cause they know what's coming in a couple months?

ghost
08-14-2008, 01:05 PM
Lol @ Ollie, that would be the exact reason everybody is pissy! I live in ALASKA! And everybody is totally stressed about winter coming. Last year it was like 9 months of solid blizzard, just getting to my truck in the morning was a challenge never mind actually driving it to work. Hope that 149.9 changes for the better, I'd hate for your to get stuck there...lol!

Mets, you have got to have the best job ever.

LetsGoMets
08-14-2008, 01:08 PM
Well, I don't work for Guinness directly, but for the company that owns them. Trust me, it's a fun place to work.

No one I know, with one exception, likes the winter. It's unbelievable. Everyone's grown up here and yet each year, they are shocked and horrified when the weather changes. And then come the months of pissing and moaning about it. Because clearly going from a heated home to a heated car to a heated office is "roughing it." It's really annoying to the likes of me, who does not really mind winter one way or the other. No, I don't like ice storms - they can be dangerous - and no, I don't like being uncomfortably cold. But...there's really no reason to be cold to the point of discomfort. That's why there are delicious sweaters to wear! That's why we have heat and fireplaces!

All I know is that from December to May, all I hear from my coworkers is how much they hate the cold. So when I politely suggest they move to a warmer climate, I'm greeted with a look that could kill. Move?? Leave their families?? Never!! So on goes the complaining, year in and year out. Last time I checked, we live in NEW ENGLAND, people...we WILL have some funky weather!! Still, it can be so beautiful and if we get even just some decent snowfalls (not enough to make day to day living rough), then we don't have to hear about water restrictions come summer.

Ollie, all I can advise is to BE PREPARED. Hey, we might get another winter like last year, in which nothing really happened. A few snowfalls here and there, which melted quickly. However, you should always have flashlights and candles (all year round, not just winter) - that's just practical. If you have a car, make sure you have decent tires. Wear the appropriate clothing (unlike one of my coworkers, who insists on wearing sleeveless shirts in the dead of winter, and then complains about being COLD). So much of it's common sense...you'll be fine!! And maybe you'll even find some beauty in it! If nothing else, it will make you appreciate spring just that much more.

missygith
08-14-2008, 02:10 PM
Ghost, I lived in Nome for each of the solstices (that was enough for me!) What part of Alaska?
Seattle gets just wet and misssssserable winters. Cold dark and damp. :(
I think this year I might get a light box...

ollie27
08-14-2008, 03:12 PM
ghost - alaska! that's too cool (ha, i'm punny). that's def a place on my want to see list. i don't know what it is about people round these parts but definitely something is up the bum.

mets - thanks for the tips. fortunately, i sold my car before i came up here (these drivers are insane!) but i do need to invest in some good snow boots. and yes, i am sure we'll find beauty in it. can't wait to see how everything looks with that first white coating. i tend to appreciate all the seasons, even winter, but my fav is spring.

and down south it's the same in the summer. from may to september it's "howabout this heat" but it was kind of endearing. something to talk about with strangers in the grocery line. so far, up here we just get scowls in the grocery line.

ghost
08-14-2008, 03:17 PM
I live in Dutch Harbor. If I were advertising this place as a tourist location I'd have a slogan like "Come here, it sucks!"

LetsGoMets
08-14-2008, 03:56 PM
Ollie, you have to bear in mind that hard core, old-time New Englanders are not a warm and fuzzy bunch. It's that gruff Yankee persona. Not that they can't be amazingly supportive and communal, but it's just a very different mind set. I used to know someone who lived in Vermont for a while. He found it very hard to gain acceptance, since he and his wife were considered "newcomers"...even though his wife was something like an 8th generation Vermonter.

Anyway, yes, a good pair of boots will hold you in good stead. It sounds corny, but if your neck and head are exposed, you'll feel chilled to the bone! I think what also gets people nuts is the lack of daylight. No one likes it to be dark by 4:15 p.m. I'm up at 5:15 a.m. and in the winter, I feel as if I rarely see daylight during the week.

People do get fired up for the first snowfall. I think it makes things more childlike, and I mean that in a good way. It can be so peaceful. We've been snowed in a few times (nothing too serious - not days or anything, just til our snowplow guy came and cleared us out; our driveway is a hill) and if you've got food in the house, a good fire going, and a good book - well, that can be pretty nice!

ollie27
08-14-2008, 05:24 PM
thanks for the reminder, mets. i realize it is a different mindset and i am totally trying to take it on as an ethnographer would and just observe, smile, and nod; however, some days it's rough.

being a homebody i'm kinda looking forward to being holed up in me house.

ghost - i looked up dutch harbor on google maps. how cool is your longitude and latitude, dude? everyone thinks there town sucks btw

LetsGoMets
08-14-2008, 08:04 PM
OK, now I have to look up Dutch Harbor as well!

ghost
08-15-2008, 02:04 PM
Just look up the deadliest catch on the discovery channel, thats about the jist of it here.

ollie27
08-15-2008, 03:10 PM
but it looks cool on a map! you're like on the tail of alaska. how exotic. heh heh unalaska, alaska.

i've always wanted to head that way to glimpse aurora borealis. heard it sho is purty.

ghost
08-18-2008, 02:20 PM
It is pretty, I've only seen it a few times here in Dutch because we are a bit south, but the last time I was up north I braved two hours of sub zero winter temps with my cousin to watch the best and biggest light show on earth.

jandaman
08-19-2008, 04:51 AM
sounds amazing. thinking of heading up to scandinavia to check it out but bf loathes the cold.

guynna
08-19-2008, 09:26 AM
Ooooh, it is so fabulous. I saw it once in Montana: unbelievable. Bundle up and go! (You can always cuddle ; )

x meowkat x
08-19-2008, 07:06 PM
Hey hey. So today I got an email I've been anxiously awaiting...it went a little something like this:

"Congratulations! You have been selected to attend a final WHEEL OF FORTUNE contestant audition in your area (by invitation only). We have reserved the following appointment for you:

When: Thursday August 28, 2008 Time: 1:30 PM

Where: The Pan Pacific Hotel Seattle (Lakefront room, 2nd floor)
2125 Terry Avenue
Seattle, WA 98121

You are responsible for parking.

Keep in mind that Wheel of Fortune's contestant team is looking for enthusiastic puzzle solvers.
Ask yourself these questions before deciding to attend the audition:

*Do you think you can solve puzzles under pressure on national television?
(Everyone is good at Wheel of Fortune in the comfort of his/her living room!)
*Can you be heard calling out letters? (It sounds simple, but sometimes we cannot hear people.)
*Do you have a good presence and energy?

You need to RSVP as soon as possible to secure your place in the audition."

Holy crap!

ghost
08-19-2008, 07:34 PM
OMG! OMG! OMG! YOU ARE SO FREAKIN LUCKY!!!! You better make the cut! Yell thos letters loud and proud!

I always wanted to be a contestant on the Price is Right when I was in college.

guynna
08-19-2008, 09:28 PM
Woo hoo! Go, meowkat, go!

Gimme a T! Gimme a....
anita

ollie27
08-20-2008, 09:10 AM
that is too cool.

ollie27
08-20-2008, 09:30 AM
in totally unrelated news: any old school rage against the machine fans here? y'all know they are back together and playing at the same time and cities as both Rep and Dem conventions? rad, huh? or am i the only one that "Freedom" was my theme song when i was in high school?

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=103043

too bad it's the same day as classes start back...

jandaman
08-20-2008, 09:55 AM
meowkat---soooo cool. me envious! you go slay 'em w/ur awesome presence!!!

ollie- i dig rage(dag,dug?)...."killing in the name of" was cool to headbang and just lose it in general to :)

ollie27
08-20-2008, 10:06 AM
ollie- i dig rage(dag,dug?)...."killing in the name of" was cool to headbang and just lose it in general to :)

word. i got "lost" in a couple pits at a few of their concerts. it's too cool they are doing the conventions! btw so i read through some old posts and noticed you tried to start a thread on politics. bummer that we can't talk about politics, but if you ever feel the need or want to know an inside americana scoop or have a question you can message me. i happen to work on someone's campaign. :o wonder who :o

missygith
08-20-2008, 07:35 PM
MeowKat! I cant wait to see you on TV! I used to live in T-town (38th and East I street) about 10 years ago, man has it been that long?! What parts do you live around? They've got great walking along the sound and I love that park in the middle of town, forgot the name, with the arboritum.
Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I made some Kale chips and cauliflower popcorn today, YUM, y'all gotta try, way better tasting than you may think, I got the recipe on recipezaar
chow

mauvaisroux
08-20-2008, 07:52 PM
Meowkat -cool! Good luck at your audition! :lucky:

I am back from my convention in Indianapolis. It was a huge gaming convention -i.e.collectible card games, board games, video games, role playing games - and a live action D&D game in a dungeon setting complete with a tavern - it was a blast! They also had several movie rooms and and an anime room. I got several games when I was down there and a bunch of weird movies -guess what I will be doing this weekend since I am broke from the trip? :lol:

I think I will join in that Samhain challenge since I have a wedding to go at the end of October. :bat:

ollie27
08-20-2008, 09:59 PM
welcome back mauvaisroux! hope you had a wonderfully nerdy time:) what kind of weird movies? the hubs has this thing about bad movies, he's a bad movie freak! it's rubbed off on me and we're kind of addicted to Mystery Science Theater 3000 reruns and other bad movie phenomenon.

ghost
08-21-2008, 12:57 PM
MST3000 is one of my favs!

SO, I've been praying for this baby whale that found a boat and adopted it as its mom. Then yesterday I hear that some sick f***s are going to euthanize it. BAST@rd$! So last night I meditated and visualized a white ball of light protecting the baby whale. This morning, when I came to work and check on updates, its escaped!! or disappeared!! I'm so happy! It got away from the evil jerks that wanted to kill it. what a relief. Hopefully it heard a pod of its kind and made way to them.

MotoMichelle
08-21-2008, 02:58 PM
I live in Dutch Harbor. If I were advertising this place as a tourist location I'd have a slogan like "Come here, it sucks!"

Just look up the deadliest catch on the discovery channel, thats about the jist of it here.

When I saw your first post about living in Dutch Harbor I immediately thought of Deadlist Catch. I love that show. hehe You may not like where you live, but I'd love to get away from the chaos of my city and head out to a place like yours.

Hey hey. So today I got an email I've been anxiously awaiting...it went a little something like this:

"Congratulations! You have been selected to attend a final WHEEL OF FORTUNE contestant audition in your area (by invitation only). We have reserved the following appointment for you:

When: Thursday August 28, 2008 Time: 1:30 PM

Where: The Pan Pacific Hotel Seattle (Lakefront room, 2nd floor)
2125 Terry Avenue
Seattle, WA 98121

You are responsible for parking.

Keep in mind that Wheel of Fortune's contestant team is looking for enthusiastic puzzle solvers.
Ask yourself these questions before deciding to attend the audition:

*Do you think you can solve puzzles under pressure on national television?
(Everyone is good at Wheel of Fortune in the comfort of his/her living room!)
*Can you be heard calling out letters? (It sounds simple, but sometimes we cannot hear people.)
*Do you have a good presence and energy?

You need to RSVP as soon as possible to secure your place in the audition."

Holy crap!

Hah! That is too cool! Good luck at the audition. :cb:

x meowkat x
08-21-2008, 07:52 PM
Thanks for the well-wishing! I hope I get on, I could certainly stand to win some money, lol :)

I've got all kinds of things going on...Bf and some of his friends and I are going camping this weekend (Friday, Saturday, Sunday) which will be excellent as always. Just have to watch my WW points......I might end up using them all on beer :stars: (j/k) Then I work M-W, Wheel audition Thursday, then we're going up near the WA/Canadian border to a wedding over the Labor Day weekend. *whew*

missygith- I'm in University Place right now, but I've kind of lived all around that area so it's just easier to say Tacoma, lol. I believe you're thinking of Wright Park? It is cool, one of my bf's sisters got married in the little arboretum! It was a very small wedding (had to be to fit in there) but it was really a neat place to have it :) I don't spend a ton of time near downtown anymore, but once in a while I'll go to the Grand Cinema or hit a bar here or there. I did just find a knitting group that meets in Old Town...so that's my new hangout once a week.

ollie27
08-21-2008, 09:02 PM
ghost, i didn't realize that people can just euthanize a whale if they want. wtf? good news that it escaped.

motomichelle - welcome. motorbikes, huh? you'll shoot your eye out.

MotoMichelle
08-22-2008, 10:08 AM
motomichelle - welcome. motorbikes, huh? you'll shoot your eye out.

Haha maybe, but I haven't yet. ;)

Spoz
08-24-2008, 06:40 AM
Sorry this has nothing to do with weight and I'm not a regular here but I'd be really interested in hearing this. Are any of you 3fcers fans of TON or Peter Steele? I really need to hear that I'm not the only crazed person feeling this obsession right now :rolleyes:

Hi btw, I recognize a few of you ;)

ollie27
08-24-2008, 09:34 AM
hi, spoz. i recognize you as well. yer the purty one.

but your question is a blast from the past and about 10 years late, for me anyways. i haven't listened to type o negative since my high school days. i remember he posed nude in playgirl in my sophmore year and we all went nuts. awwww memories.

i did, however, retain my trent reznor crush from those days though and am still crazed over that boy.

meanwhile back at the ranch, wish i had exciting news to report, but my weekend was pretty low key (which i happen to like). hope everyone's sunday is groovy.

cheers.

Spoz
08-24-2008, 09:41 AM
:yikes: Did you just call me the purty one? Aw I dont know what to say, cept maybe your a lil nuts! ;)

Yeah, for me the Peter steele thing comes back to haunt me every few years. Never understood Trent though :no:

ollie27
08-24-2008, 10:21 AM
wha wha wha what?!?!? i probably can't post this pic but here goes
anyway. ummm...what's not to understand :drool:

p.s. me being nuts and you being pretty are two totally unrelated things

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d127/kristy5235/Trent_Reznor_by_suetlilanglz.jpg

Spoz
08-24-2008, 10:23 AM
Well, okay I'll give you this one.

(If only because in the pic you cant see his face :rolleyes:)

ollie27
08-24-2008, 10:38 AM
awww c'mon, spoz, he's a sexy man! sorry to have made your peter conversation turn into a trent one. just to be fair i was going to post a pic of peter as well, but all the good ones are.....ummm....bad. bad meaning good of course. pssst....this guy's dong is all over the net:o

:cheers:

http://www.nndb.com/people/534/000025459/trent-sm.jpg

PinkyPie
08-24-2008, 12:05 PM
yum. I don't know Peter Steele but I love me some Trent *drools*

I've been away pretty much since my vacation and here I am back up to 205. Could have been worse I suppose.

I'm NOT getting married now in October, so at least I won't be Cow Bride, but I am getting married in March come **** or high water. That means I need to get back at it again.

Looking forward to catching up with you chicks!

mauvaisroux
08-24-2008, 01:05 PM
Spoz - I just saw Peter Steel and Type-O at a music festival in Montreal in June - I get your obsession -:lol:

Ollie - I think Trent is attractive too in a dark tortured artist kind of way - years ago my hubby and Trent looked quite alike - :)

The crazy/weird movies we picked up are a bunch of Japanese films from the 70"s/80"s one is called "Girl Boss Revenge" The title made me laugh so we bought it - who knows what the movie is like! Others items include Zebraman, Machinegirl, Kasumi-Lady NInja, Samurai Chicks, Visitor Q.

We also picked up some horror movie gems such as "Garden of the Dead" (zombies!) Cursed, Frankenstein Conquers the World, Hardware (a sci-fi) and a couple more that I can't remember.

We collect a lot of B movie type films. :D

guynna
08-24-2008, 02:54 PM
Welcome back V! Hope you had great travels. I'm sure you will be a be-yoo-ti-ful spring bride : )

Janda, hope you are feeling better -- even if school is starting : o

I am covering a class for someone tomorrow so I have to be on campus at 9AM -- I'm already in shock!!!
anita

ollie27
08-24-2008, 05:37 PM
hi velveteen :wave: don't think we've been introduced. i'm ollie. welcome back from your vacation. hope it kicked all kinds of arse. i'm still on staycation myself.

mauvasiroux - we collect b movies as well. we have all of ed wood's movies. familiar with him? bride of the monster and glen or glenda are my favs. the hubs loves him. sounds like you racked up. we recently picked up a b kung fu 'death duel of mantis' and have yet to watch it

guynna - that makes two of us that are in shock. this week is gonna be carazy!

i'm off to peel my arse off the couch and do a workout video. isn't there supposed to be a point when i get excited about this? when is that? anyone?

MotoMichelle
08-25-2008, 11:32 AM
wha wha wha what?!?!? i probably can't post this pic but here goes
anyway. ummm...what's not to understand :drool:

(Bah, still can't post images.)

Yes, Trent is very yummy.

Don't ask me why, but I've always been hot for Maynard more than anyone. I really don't get it, because he's not that attractive. But something about that boy makes me tick.

Spoz
08-25-2008, 11:34 AM
I guess sometimes it just that 'vibe' people have. I love deep rough sounding vocals so for me anybody who has that I tend to like. (long hair is a bonus)

ollie27
08-25-2008, 11:47 AM
(Bah, still can't post images.)

Yes, Trent is very yummy.

Don't ask me why, but I've always been hot for Maynard more than anyone. I really don't get it, because he's not that attractive. But something about that boy makes me tick.

**** yeah! i've seen tool in concert three times and yes, maynard is the ultimate hottie for me as well. and it has nothing to do with looks. it's an intellectual thang. his lyrics and his message, man. or artistic integrity if you will. and his voice....smooth and creamy. i'll post a pic of him.

http://illinoisentertainer.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/maynard.jpg

MotoMichelle
08-25-2008, 12:42 PM
You nailed it, Ollie. It's more than looks - his attitude, his message, and that he's intelligent. If you take his songs at surface level they seem a bit f'ed up, but look deeper and ... yeah...

Thanks for the pic.

ghost
08-25-2008, 01:33 PM
*points up and drools*

This week is gunna be a long week and I am going to be MIA from Wed the 27th to whenever I manage to make it home. My surgery (tubal ligation) is on friday. I'm trying to get down under 180 by then cause I know the surgery is going to make me gain water weight. The really $hi**y thing is though, I'm totally about to start my TOM. I'm all pms-y and crampy and if I have to change my sx dates again I'll have a freaking tantrum like a two year old. Anyways, I have to fly 800 miles to get to the hospital where the sx will be done. I hate planes and I hate hospitals (as a patient, cause I work in one). Anyway, thats my mini rant-o-the day.

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

MotoMichelle
08-25-2008, 01:39 PM
Ghost - I hope everything goes well with your surgery. Don't worry about the water weight, it'll drop. Just take care of yourself and recover.

mauvaisroux
08-25-2008, 07:48 PM
ghost -good luck with your surgery!

Ollie - totally into Ed Woods and John Waters! We are also into stuff line Re-Animator, Bride of Re-animator and other weird/silly stuff. :)

ghost
08-25-2008, 08:03 PM
Just chased down a nurse in womens health and demanded to know if my TOM was going to delay my tubal, she said it shouldn't be a problem, thank GAWD!

I love Ed Wood. And, I love Tim Burton, so when Tim Burton did Ed Wood I about died and went to heaven. That, and he cast JD as EW...nice.

ollie27
08-25-2008, 08:34 PM
ghost - gettin the ole tubes tied, eh? hope everything goes according to plan. crazy you have to fly so far to get it done!!! i'll be thinkin bout ya and send some good tube tyin vibes your way on friday :goodvibes i love time burton's ed wood johnny depp did such a good job. i love that man. word is he might play the riddler in the next batman. word. all of tim burton's stuff rocks. depp's willy wonka kicked all kinds of arse.

so my fellow bad movie lovers and MST3000 nerds. did y'all know the creator has a new project? it's called cinematic titanic and they are doing live shows as well as dvds. and mike nelson, the 2nd dude on MST3000 is doing downloadable versions that you can listen to as you watch various movies. i'm a total nerd :twirly:

i love the john waters films i have seen, but there are still a lot out there i have yet to see. Pecker was awesome and of course Cry-Baby. i've still gotta see his last two.

this week'll be pretty harrowing for me too. i have like 5 orientations on campus and already my reading list is out the wazoo. need to ease up on my obsession with 3FC and start putting my nose in a book...

guynna
08-25-2008, 09:43 PM
Take care, ghost! (smooch)

Johnny Depp, Ed Wood, Tim Burton -- woohooo!!! Does this group have taste or what?
anita

ghost
08-26-2008, 03:38 PM
If you all like bad flicks, you have to check out Frankenthumb (2002) written by Steve Oedekirk and directed by Dave Bourla...that is some funny $h!t...there are a whole slew of "thumb" movies by them...they rock, even my six year old loves them.

mauvaisroux
08-26-2008, 10:24 PM
Got all the "Thumb" movies (Thumb Wars, Bat Thumb etc.) except for Thumbtanic - they are a hilarious!

If you like funny/silly chopsocky films I recommend "Tonga Ninja" - it's ridiculous!

guynna
08-29-2008, 08:49 PM
Aaack! My one week off for my bruises turned into two -- I have GOT to work out tomorrow -- though I did walk my dog all except for the first day. Tense issues at work -- aaaack!!!

Definitely will check out the recommended bad movies. Anybody here a fan of _Attack of hte Killer Tomatoes_??

anita

ollie27
09-02-2008, 09:16 AM
i think i've done pretty well for being out of town a couple of days and surviving off of airport food which translates to a ****load of fries. no working out either. i'll throw an aaack! out there with guynna.

but it's cool. definitely not gonna sweat this stuff, well, when i work out yeah, but you know what i mean. in a bookstore over the weekend i read a photo journalism book on bodies called This is Who I Am, it put things in a little bit better perspective about feeling good and not paying attention to numbers and overall love of yourself.

schools started back and my reading list is pretty friggin loooooooong.

i hope everyone is alive and well. later, dudes!

x meowkat x
09-03-2008, 06:58 PM
Anybody here a fan of _Attack of hte Killer Tomatoes_??

Love it. I used to watch the cartoon when I was really little, then about 5th grade I discovered the movie(s). I have a stuffed F.T. to this day :p

guynna
09-03-2008, 08:13 PM
Hi all --
Not "aaack!" but woohoo today! I got on the scales for an unofficial midweek weigh-in and was under 250 for the first time in quite a while -- in just less than 50 pounds I'll be in Onederland!

(Cynical inner voice says "duh, you still have to lose 50 pounds to even get that far; what are you pleased about??") Optimistic inner inner voice says "Sod off! I'm celebrating every little gain --- er, loss!"

On the movie front, saw _Tropic Thunder_ over the holiday wkend; truly a great satire on the movie industry.

anita