Weight Loss Support - How often do you weigh yourself?

View Full Version : How often do you weigh yourself?

crazy4weightloss
08-01-2008, 06:56 PM
I've seen some post that say people weigh themselves everyday. I would go bonkers if I did that. Last time I lost a bunch of weight I become obsessed with the scale. That number I saw in the morning decided my mood for the day. I vowed not to do that this time and just weigh once a week. So how about you?

tater tash
08-01-2008, 07:18 PM
I used to weigh myself once a week, every Sunday morning right when I wake up. But I began to have fears of the scale Saturday night and would sleep horribly and feel obsessed with the number I'll probably see in the morning. So after weeks of suffering, I started weighing myself every other or every two days.

Sunday is my cheat day, so I won't weigh myself until Tuesday, then maybe Thursday and then again Sunday morning. Weighing yourself more than once a week, in my opinion, gives you a better idea on how your progress is. You'll know if you have to kick your workout and eating restrictions up a notch or not.

Good luck! =]

mamaspank
08-01-2008, 07:37 PM
Honestly? I weigh myself every time I find myself in my upstairs bathroom. So probably eight times a day. It just helps me keep on track. I wouldn't say it's an obsession; just habit by now.

cornellchick
08-01-2008, 07:45 PM
I weigh myself once a day, but only once. It's when I first wake up, after I go to the bathroom and before I shower (so I'm likely at my lightest for the day, haha). By now I know not to take small fluctuations or slowdowns too seriously; they happen and that's OK. But I agree that it gives me some idea of my progress throughout the week - the way I see it, it's either positive feedback (weight down) or a new wave of motivation (weight up/constant)!

I don't think I could handle waiting a whole week, because I like to keep an eye on my daily habits and I think I would get stressed out worrying the night before weigh day.

Primm
08-01-2008, 08:02 PM
I used to weigh myself every day. Then my scales broke and I got out of the habit.

Now that I have a new set, I am trying really really hard to only weigh once a week. The first week I stepped on a couple of times, but I haven't weighed myself since last Monday (weigh-in day for me) and it's Saturday today, so I'm doing OK!

I'm the sort of person who tends to obsess about things, and oddly enough not weighing myself too often has been one of the hardest habits to overcome!

TinkFreak117
08-01-2008, 08:09 PM
I would have to say daily.... just to see what the number is and how what I eat or what i do relates to it. Its kinda cool to see how it changes.

JulieJ08
08-01-2008, 08:10 PM
Daily. I just like to see the patterns. Doesn't freak me out.

crazydog
08-01-2008, 09:15 PM
I weigh once a day - like cornellchick, just before I step in the shower. If I see progress it makes my day and helps me keep my resolve. If it's up, I know I need to be extra careful, and revise my eating to make up for it.

I retain water badly, so I take those days into account, so if I know my ankles are swollen and I am the same weight, I know I have actually lost weight.

ndnguy85
08-01-2008, 09:41 PM
i weigh everyday and chart it on an excel sheet. i also write lil comments next to it..like "was wearing heavier shorts" or "ate a lot of carbs the day before" etc.

i am very organized about weighing too. i try to wear the same thing..at the same time before eating and after going to the bathroom.

ok i am wierd. haha

Iconised Ghost
08-01-2008, 11:05 PM
i weigh everyday and chart it on an excel sheet. i also write lil comments next to it..like "was wearing heavier shorts" or "ate a lot of carbs the day before" etc.

i am very organized about weighing too. i try to wear the same thing..at the same time before eating and after going to the bathroom.

ok i am wierd. haha
I do almost the exact same thing! Except i only do it once a week Excel, wear the same thing (usually nothing), before eating and after going to the bathroom, same time of day:dizzy:

LandonsBaby
08-02-2008, 01:55 AM
once a week, on friday. that is only because i'm in a weight loss group with some friends. otherwise, it would be less.

GradPhase
08-02-2008, 02:01 AM
I weigh at least once a day, sometimes more often - just because the scale is in the kitchen and it's always handy. I never get upset if it's more than what I want it to be, but really, I don't get THAT excited when it's under either. I just like learning about my body and seeing how what I do results in whatever it does in the end.

KitgetsFit
08-02-2008, 02:06 AM
I weigh once a day because I know I can't gain thaaat much in 24 hours. I didn't weigh myself for two years and gained twenty pounds. I'm determined to lose weight and even though it's been heartbreakingly slow for me (and I had a mini-emotional breakdown this weekend and ate too much and now I've probably gained), I'm going to face the scale every day.

Ailey60
08-02-2008, 02:39 AM
Ok I probably shouldn't have read this thread. I've been weighing myself about once a week and that has been working for me. I suppose if i were disciplined enough to lose weight at a faster rate i would probably weigh more often as i'd be lookin for faster results. I started with calorie counting in May(maybe the middle) and have lost about 10lbs. but am really struggling with motivation lately.

I'm going to start a new thread with the rest of my thoughts.

sh3l5
08-02-2008, 04:28 AM
i have to weigh myself once a day to keep on track with my weight loss....
it doesnt necessarily set my mood....
but this week i have been bouncing around a lot due to the deductions scales have been making....

feypore
08-03-2008, 12:42 AM
every single day for me.

lovnmom
08-03-2008, 09:14 AM
When I first started this journey, 2 years ago, I only weighed once a month. I had made the decision to get healthy and lose s-l-o-w-l-y so I needed to waite a long time in between so I wouldn't get discouraged. As I got closer to goal though I found myself too often weighing the same on that "one day a month" due to water or whatever so now I weigh every day some times more than once. I've been at it long enough that I understand what each up and down relates too though, so the number doesn't get to me. I wouldn't recommend daily weigh ins for anyone who is just learning how their body works.

clayr
08-03-2008, 09:32 AM
The last time I lost a significant amount of weight I never weighed myself maybe 3 times over the course of a year.

This time I've decided to weigh myself once a week, 2 weeks so far... it is not something I like to do, I'm hoping as I lose weight I'll stop being so phobic about it.

leah_0600
08-03-2008, 10:50 AM
I've been doing this healthy eating for so long now that i only weigh in whenever i remember, sometimes it's a shock though "oh god, i've put on 2 lbs" but usually it just shows a loss. I used to be OBSESSED with weighing, at least 5 times a day. But now i can just FEEL if i've lost weight, if you know what i mean, i don't need a scale.

bananapancakes
08-03-2008, 01:43 PM
I weight myself every morning after my morning pee :p

It helps me keep on track.

Ufi
08-03-2008, 01:51 PM
I've chosen Sunday morning as my weigh-in time.

vixjean
08-03-2008, 02:01 PM
I started weighing myself every day and I feel okay with it. I go potty and then weigh myself naked every morning. If I am having a HORRIBLE week, then I will stay perfect OP for a few days before I weigh myself, some numbers I never want to see again, ya know!?! =)

imjustagirl
08-04-2008, 03:29 AM
I started weighing myself every day and I feel okay with it. I go potty and then weigh myself naked every morning. If I am having a HORRIBLE week, then I will stay perfect OP for a few days before I weigh myself, some numbers I never want to see again, ya know!?! =)

LOL. This is me too!

BlueToBlue
08-04-2008, 04:08 AM
Twice a day, as soon as I get up and just before I go to bed, both naked after peeing. I consider this restraint. The evening weigh-in prepares me for what I'll see in the morning. I can pretty much predict what the scale will say based on the previous weigh in, so there aren't any unpleasant surprises.

Sometimes I'll weigh myself after working out, as well, but I try to keep that to a minimum.

MBN
08-04-2008, 09:18 AM
I weigh every morning, and sometimes later in the day too. By now, I've seen enough ups and downs due to various factors that a few pounds up doesn't freak me out. Lots of things affect the scale -- too much sodium, TOM, carb/protein ratio, heck even a really long/hard workout can cause me to weigh more the next day. But I like to know where I'm at so that I can correct as needed.

xMeaganx
08-04-2008, 09:20 AM
I weight a couple of times a day! I know it's bad! But I just weight to monitor that my weight isn't going up to much. I also don't pay the scale too much mind because I realize why it would go up...food, water.... I think it's okay to weight yourself as much as you like as long as you are not focused so much on what is on the scale. If it is going to derail you to see you went up a pound then don't weigh so often! I only pay attention to my weigh in on Saturdays.

txsqlchick
08-04-2008, 09:57 AM
I used to weigh myself once every 2-3 days but now I weigh myself at least once a day, usually 4-5 times. I have a slightly obsessive personality so once I get myself into the habit of doing something, I kind of run with it.

I don't see that it's really an issue. If I have a pig-out day, the extra weight usually shows up right away so I want to see what damage I did.

retiredone
08-04-2008, 03:45 PM
I weigh once a week on Saturday mornings after I've gone to the bathroom. Can't handle everyday--nearly drove me crazy.

Ija
08-04-2008, 05:14 PM
I weigh myself every day because it keeps me on track, but I'm now on vacation and I don't have access to a scale... so frustrating not knowing how I'm doing! :mad:

yoyoma
08-04-2008, 05:37 PM
I weigh every day. I'm amazed at the fluctuations. A salty restaurant meal can account for 4 or 5 lbs in one day! By keeping tabs on my fluctuations, I don't get freaked out if my weekly weigh in shows a gain -- if that gain is actually due to fluid retention.

BoopRN
08-04-2008, 05:57 PM
I used to weigh in daily but my weight fluctuated too much it drove me nuts. Now I just do Mondays and Im not as nuts. There are occasions that I do weigh in mid week but I try not to.

JulieJ08
08-04-2008, 07:44 PM
I weigh myself every day because it keeps me on track, but I'm now on vacation and I don't have access to a scale... so frustrating not knowing how I'm doing! :mad:

That happened to me a week ago, and in a couple weeks it will again. I guess it's good for us :dizzy:

GR8 2B48
08-04-2008, 08:10 PM
Like you, the numbers on the scale controlled my mood.

When I told my WW leader that I was weighing myself everyday, she told me to bring my scale to her(there are members who have done that). I told her I would just put a note on my scale reminding me not to weigh and if that didn't work, I would take it to her.

When I did stop weighing at home, I had successes each week. Now I'm back to weighing once a week and attempting to do it only at my meeting.

Lori Bell
08-04-2008, 11:29 PM
I'm a once a weeker too. Fridays. I am highly motivated right now and have not had a single week since I started without a loss. If I started weighing every day, I'd go nuts. Seeing that daily fluctation from water and waste matter has been the cause for me to do really stupid things to my body in the past. Not worth it for me.

murphmitch
08-04-2008, 11:32 PM
Once a week (Saturday) first thing in the morning after pottying and always naked. Weigh in once a month at WW. (Lifetime member)

asaaan
08-05-2008, 11:54 AM
Every day. I should stop though but its hard!
I was on vacation for 2 months and didnt have a scale. When I came back I lost 5 lbs.

midwife
08-05-2008, 12:04 PM
Every day. I should stop though but its hard!

Hi asaaan! Welcome to 3FC! Congrats on your loss! If weighing daily works for you, keep doing it. Don't feel like you "should stop" if it is working. I know daily weighing is not for everyone, but it is a very helpful tool for many of us.

Cinm
08-05-2008, 12:12 PM
I step on it a few times a day.I really have got to stop it is starting to drive me crazy.I am going to try and stay off that thing at least till friday :dizzy:

Shannon in ATL
08-05-2008, 01:54 PM
DH and I are dieting and exercising together, so I weigh officially every two weeks as part of our program, typically on Friday, and log it on a spreadsheet. I weigh "unofficially" on the other two Fridays, so really I weigh every week, I just log it in italics... :)

And, I occasionally cheat and weigh more often if I feel anxious, or if I feel bloated or otherwise off kilter. I have a WW scale that gives BW percentage, and sometimes I just want to know what that is... I too am interested to see changes during the week... I try to limit the 'extra' weighins to every couple of days, not every day. I think every day would make me a little crazy, even though I know intellectually that I can't gain a pound in 24 hours I might freak out a little...

Mrs Snark
08-05-2008, 02:02 PM
I weigh myself one time, first thing in the morning, every day. It keeps me focused and on-track. :)

Muffin Top
08-06-2008, 12:34 AM
I usually weigh myself before I take a shower in the mornings, but lately I've been afraid to go anywhere near the scale! :(