Exercise! - Cool Runners----August 2008

View Full Version : Cool Runners----August 2008

midwife
08-01-2008, 10:48 AM
Josephine, I hear you on how it feels to have to dial back on the running. I didn't run two days this week and it about killed me. I was terrified that I would lose all my gains and also gain back all that I have lost---if that makes sense. I finally ran today and blasted out a 5K in about 28 minutes. The fastest ever. Rest can be a *good* thing. So hang in there, take care of yourself, and you will be a stronger runner when you are able to go again.

Apple Cheeks
08-01-2008, 12:22 PM
5k in 28 minutes? Holy cripes, that's fast! :eek:

I got through my run today, but it seemed a little harder than yesterday for some reason. Maybe because I did an extra 5 minutes, and picked up the pace for a bit yesterday?

Anyway, all my muscles were twitching like mad after I was done today! It made me think that maybe they were freaking out since I've been demanding so much of them. Well, they had quite a number of years to "rest," so now it's time to work! :devil:

Diva
08-03-2008, 03:33 PM
This week I am going to "restart" my c25k along with a 30 minute HIIT I do on the TM. I really wanna build up to running the entire thing. :)

SunshineRunner
08-03-2008, 08:27 PM
I did my 3FC Midsummer's 5K this weekend and I clocked in at a personal best of 34:20. Looking forward to getting my time down and increasing distance over the month of August...

of course school starts in 12 days so I'll have to fight to stay on track I think...but I haven't fallen off the wagon yet, so I imagine I can power thru a few busy months!

Hope everyone had a great weekend! I spent mine at the beach and the pool and only ran on Friday because my legs were a bit sore from that run...but I'll be back on track on Monday!
~A

KimProbable
08-03-2008, 08:28 PM
Hello August runners!!

Today was my last long run before my race in two weeks. Our clinic group headed out to run the actual half-marathon course since we were scheduled for 20k anyhow. I'm really glad we did this since I now have a better idea of what to expect and how to pace myself in regards to the two large hills early in the course.

During my past few long runs I've hit a mental/energy level dip around the 12K mark so today I did my shot blocks a bit earlier and it really seemed to help. I didn't start to get tired until the 18K mark, which seemed like a pretty reasonable reaction to running for 2 hours! ;)

My goal for this race has been to come in under 2:30, and with our very relaxed and socializing pace today we came in at 2:26 so I'm feeling very confident that I'll do well. My official time for my half 6 years ago was 2:14 (though I'd done the distance at 1:45 a week previous :dizzy:) and I would be thrilled to no end if I were able to beat that time. I don't want to pressure myself on that number, though, so I won't hold it up as my goal.

So the rest of this week continues as normal (11 hill reps on Wednesday!!) then I taper starting next week. I'm getting so excited!!! :D

kittycat40
08-03-2008, 10:50 PM
Hey cool runners! I did my first HIIT training this past friday. In general I'm not great at pushing myself with workouts. I'm just pleased to be moving at all ;)
But, it was for 10 mins 30 sec 4/treadmill, then 1.5min 7/treadmill. With my usual stuff b4 and after. Wow, hard. But something I will repeat when on that treadmill again. It was my plan to go for a long run but that got rescheduled d/t my baby (2yo) having a pretty significant rash while being on antibiotics-- not an allergic rxn, I happily confirmed with his doctor.

ANyway, I got my longer run in today and felt pretty good throughout.
Have a cool running start to the week :)

Mrs Snark
08-04-2008, 08:03 AM
Yay, I'm finally recovered enough to run again, thank goodness, I was going stir crazy and biking just wasn't fitting the bill! I need my runs!

Midwife -- way to blast out that fast 5k, whoo hoo! When I ran this morning I thought I was taking it easy but I can in faster than I expected, so you are right, a bit of rest isn't going to kill us! LOL! Still, I'm ready for some serious road time now, no more sick days for a while, please!

I got in a nice 5.41 miler this morning which will be my one-day-late run for the Midsummer's 5k (plus!). :)

Everybody is looking GOOD, what a nice way to start August! Way to go!

Mrs Snark
08-04-2008, 08:08 AM
Jo,
Sorry to hear that you are still under the weather. Take a good care of yourself, OK? Maybe I could fedex you one of my greyhounds (she would be there by 8:30 tomorrow morning LOL) - she would love to curl up with you in bed and keep you company.
By the way, I had a good chuckle over your story with the fan facing the opposite direction - I so totally understand! :-)

I'd love a greyhound, *cough cough*, I think I still need cuddles to reach a full recovery! Greyhounds are so gorgeous!

SunshineRunner
08-04-2008, 10:38 AM
Jo - I know what you mean about a rest day doing you good....but I am one to fight it too! I love my running these days and want to improve myself distance and time wise...which I know I have to start taking more days off in order to do....but it is soooo hard....

I'm trying to work out a plan of action on how many miles to run on which days in order to increase my distance....anybody have any thoughts on this? My goal for August is to get up to 5miles comfortably. Right now I run up to 3.5 miles comfortably....but anything beyond that and I'm pretty much whipped. Thanks for your help in advance!

Tomato
08-04-2008, 11:20 AM
Kim - as usual, I am tired just reading your posts!

Jo - nice to have you back. I have a question for you - I saw the (spectacular, I might say) pics in the Midsummer Night's thread - is it a watch you are wearing or is it the distance/calorie/hear rate/whatever tracking gizmo?

Amanda - I caught up with your post in the Goals forum only recently and you are smokin' hot, lady! No wonder half of the guys from the gym are fighting over the privilege to run with you!
Since I am way below you in performance, I don't have much advice except that is seems to me a lot to try going from 3.5 to 5 miles in one month. Maybe take it slowly and keep adding a bit by bit (that's what works for me) rather than pushing yourself too much?

I, too have to agree that a bit of rest is GOOD. I did NOTHING yesterday (the translation is keeping me glued to the computer and if I continue surfing 3FC I definitely WON'T meet the deadline) so no gym yesterday and today is questionable - I am too behind.
But, I did run this morning and man, did I feel chipper!!! It went really awesome until the last 100 calories (I prefer the calorie display than the time or the distance, I know, I am a weirdo LOL). But both today and on Saturday, I ran 3.7 miles. My pace is still snailish, but that's ok. I will slowly start experimenting with adding a bit more incline (maybe at intervals). I run with 2%, time to start flirting with 3%.

Oh, I almost forgot - midwife, you look awesome!!!

midwife
08-04-2008, 11:40 AM
Thanks Tomato!

Amanda, I try to increase my weekly mileage by no more than 10% and I try to tack that on to a longer run.

So, if you are running 3.5 miles 4 times a week you are running 14 miles a week. (Look out! I can do math!) So I would increase no more than 1.4 miles for the following week. I would then run 3 3.5 mile runs and then a 5 mile run (yes, that is a bit more than 10% but I like even numbers. I would do that for two weeks and then bump up another run to 5 miles, until each run is 5 miles and then I would figure out 10% and put that on the end of a single run again. Clear as mud? But it depends what your goals are. I need to work up to a 10 mile training run before my half marathon and that will be a single weekly run with my other runs 3-5 miles only.

kittycat40
08-04-2008, 01:34 PM
I need a kick in the pants to get running right NOW.
I am sitting at my work desk obsessively worrying about 4yo ds, shy moody not so easy going sometimes and my chest is pounding.

I know the best thing for me is to get moving/running to my other work site. Emotional topics are less weighty (so to speak) after a nice sweaty run. (I have a change of clothing)

ok here I go, thanks for letting me vent during this post. I'm really changing and going... NOW!

Back at work... feeling better...talked to sitter ds better//more than better... KIDS WILL AGE A WOMAN!!!

midwife
08-04-2008, 04:18 PM
Kitty, :hug: . Being a mama is the hardest thing ever.

kittycat40
08-04-2008, 04:22 PM
Kitty, :hug: . Being a mama is the hardest thing ever.

ain't dat da trut :hug: hugs to you too! :)

SunshineRunner
08-05-2008, 10:26 AM
Good Morning Ladies! Thank you for your advice on the increasing my distance. I really believe what you all said is great....that being said last night was just my night...100% unplanned...and I ran my first ever 5 miles straight up no breaks! I ran it in 53:30....now, that being said, I'm taking it easy tonight (although I feel fine this morning) because I'd like to continually be able to decrease my time on the 5 miler this month. Although I'll probably only run that distance 2 nights/week. Don't want to hurt myself!

I still can't believe I did it last night. I'm very proud...and down another pound to boot!
~A

Tomato
08-05-2008, 10:43 AM
Great job, Amanda!
Isn't it great when everything just falls into place and you can run like there is no tomorrow?
I will be running tomorrow morning but humidity is on the rise here again.:sp:

Parveen
08-05-2008, 01:00 PM
Hi Ladies
I ran/jogged/walked two miles!!! I cant beleive i did it, it did take 35-40minutes, but now i know it is possible! today I am lifting with Jari and then tomorrow I cant wait to see if i can do it again!
I told my husband my dream is to start running outside, i just feel i am too slow to run outside and to run in a race.

Mrs Snark
08-05-2008, 08:56 PM
I ran my first ever 5 miles straight up no breaks! I ran it in 53:30....and down another pound to boot!
~A

WAY TO GO! :congrat:
That is just awesome, I bet you felt like you were on cloud 9 at the end of that run!

I ran/jogged/walked two miles!!!

WHOO HOO! Way to go! Of course it is possible, you'll be running outside and racing before you even know it!
:bravo:

Today I did 5.93 miles on the treadmill because I missed my weather window this morning (too hot to run after 7am!). I pushed the incline up starting at 4 and all the wayup to 15, which was quite.... how shall I say it... challenging!! Sure got my heart rate up I can tell you!

kittycat40
08-05-2008, 09:26 PM
Runners-- I'm trying to ramp up mileage but opportunities are decreasing. What's your opinion on two mod runs in one day vs. one long run?

Mrs Snark
08-05-2008, 09:31 PM
Two runs in a day is fine! Lots of people split their runs up like that. Unless you are training for one long race (and then you need to have the long time on the road all at once).

Go for it!

kittycat40
08-05-2008, 09:31 PM
Two runs in a day is fine! Lots of people split their runs up like that. Unless you are training for one long race (and then you need to have the long time on the road all at once).

Go for it!

Thanks dude!

midwife
08-05-2008, 09:36 PM
I agree with Josephine. It kinda depends on your goals. I think if you are trying for a half or full marathon, there is no replacing a long run each week. But if it is for fitness or in combo with a long run per week, why not? I am actually a little jealous of folks who zip in multiple runs in a day.

kittycat40
08-05-2008, 11:13 PM
Well, I'd like to to a half marathon (can't find timely local one) and a full marathon (in NJ this May) but I'm not quite mentally there. I figure if I work on getting physically closer my mind will follow :)
I may just do my own half marathon. In 2 weeks I'll be on vacation in upstate NY. There is a 6 miler that I have done recently. I'm thinking I'll do it there and back vs just back (it's this cute little farm that DH and I visit with the kiddies).
So far the longest run I've done is 8.3ish (last week or so). I'd like to get a 10er in prior to this personal challenge.

thanks for your input gals :) :) :) it is much appreciated

midwife
08-05-2008, 11:18 PM
If you can run 8 miles, you can run a half marathon. Sounds like a great goal!

jenguin
08-05-2008, 11:19 PM
!
I told my husband my dream is to start running outside, i just feel i am too slow to run outside and to run in a race.

You're never too slow to run outside! And if you can find a walker friendly race (many 5Ks are open to walkers as well), that might be a good race to start with, because you can always alternate walking and running if you need to. Of course you never know what race adrenaline will do for you though! I just always try to remember that even if I come in last place, I'm still ahead of the guy who never got up off the couch! Speaking of which, my daughter came in dead last in a small race once, but she was the only one in her age group, so she got a first place trophy. She was about 12 or 13 at the time and thought it was the coolest thing ever - lol!

I thought I'd finally venture into this thread. I've been running on and off for years, but really started increasing my distance this year. I'm still slower than molasses, but I really enjoy it and it definitely helps keep my weight in check!

kittycat40
08-05-2008, 11:22 PM
Hi Jenguin!
That 8.3er took me close to 2 hours, hee. I knew I was going for a long run so I took it REALLY easy. Still felt GREAT at the end :)

jenguin
08-05-2008, 11:45 PM
Hi Kittycat! I know what you mean about that great feeling when you're done. I always feel so much better when I've finished a run!

It's exciting that you are looking to do a half, then full marathon. I did a 20K at the end of May, which is about .7 miles short of a half, and am currently training to run the Des Moines Marathon in mid-October. I'm sure I will be one of the last people to finish, but finishing is my only goal. I agree with midwife - if you can run 8, you can run a half!

Mrs Snark
08-06-2008, 09:07 AM
Welcome Jenquin! And I agree with your advice to Parveen! I just don't think speed matters, period.

My one and only first place 5k race finish came when nobody else was in my age group, lol! I LOVED it, because I'm nowhere near the top three usually, so I treasure my first place medal! My dad won first place in HIS age group that same race, except he actually HAD serious competition (he's really fast, I'm really NOT). But it was fun with both of us getting to go up and get awards!

midwife
08-06-2008, 09:44 AM
Parveen, run outside if you want to and definitely do a race. I was a slow-poke runner for years and it didn't stop me! How slow was I? Little old men passed me *walking* but I didn't care! I had people tell me, "I saw you out walking the other day." Ahem, I was RUNNING! Slow, yes, but running nonetheless, and I do not use the term jogging.

And now, suddenly, I am faster. Which is very cool, don't get me wrong, but it took a lot of 12-13 minute miles to get me where I am now.

Parveen
08-06-2008, 04:57 PM
Thanks for the push, I think I will just have to do it! I will have to think what I will do abotu the keys, cellphone ect that I have to carry with me though....will let you know when I do it, but tonight it will be on the treadmill, I actually am excited to workout tonight! and "run"!!
I am also seeing the benefits of running, I havent lost any "weight" since i am also lifting weights and I assume my leg muscles are being built up due to the running. But I lost my doublechin, legs are slimmer and the post babies tummy puch is vertially dissapeared!!! so I am happy!!

Mrs Snark
08-06-2008, 05:04 PM
Jo - nice to have you back. I have a question for you - I saw the (spectacular, I might say) pics in the Midsummer Night's thread - is it a watch you are wearing or is it the distance/calorie/hear rate/whatever tracking gizmo?

Sorry Tomato, I somehow totally missed this question until right now. What I'm wearing is the love-of-my-running life: The Garmin Forerunner 305 GPS/personal trainer (here's a slightly blurry photo from the Midsummer Night's run):
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/we_r_siamese/forerunner.jpg

You can read all about it on the Garmin site here (https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=142&pID=349). I LOVE IT and highly recommend it to runners who are data freaks like me!

jenguin
08-08-2008, 07:23 PM
I had been thinking about starting a new thread about this, but since this pertains to running and this thread was bumped to page 2 I thought I'd see if it generated any discussion here. A friend of mine (and frequent running partner) has been working her way through an injury. She emailed me this comment the other day:

I didn't realize running would also be a lesson in patience. It really does cover all of life's lessons I think! Patience, courage, determination, joy, pain, endurance, hope, defeat, etc...that is so cool. :-)

My question for all of you is what life lesson has running taught you?

midwife
08-08-2008, 07:37 PM
Great question.

I have learned from running that I can do ANYthing!

That my body is capable and that it works.

That I can tolerate temporary discomfort for long term gain.

That I can be fast. And strong.

Pink Geranium
08-09-2008, 08:35 PM
Hi, I've just discovered this thread and enjoyed reading what everyone has to say. Long story somewhat shorter, I've been running since April, although I've been deep into exercise for a couple of years now (since I started this weight loss thing...struggling slowly along with more and more challenging things, you know how it goes...) My main sport was and is swimming but I also now do a lot of other cardio in the gym and also weights classes.

I started to run when my husband wanted to do a 5K (he has also lost a lot of weight) and he wanted to put to rest the childhood memories of being dead last in the mile run in gym class. So we signed up but I figured I'd just run it, no practice, anything, just go there on the day and do it. Just to be supportive. I don't really know what I was thinking. I guess not thinking would be more like it.

Anyway, my two goals were to run every step (no matter how slowly) and maybe to beat 30 minutes (a more experienced friend thought I could possibly do that). No matter how improbable it seems I did actually make these goals, and in the meantime LOVED the whole thing, much to my surprise.

So I actually started practicing and can now run 7 miles at a time. We have done some more 5K's, a couple of them cross country style, and one 5 mile trail run (absolutely fabulous experience!). I hope to keep training and getting stronger. I have a goal of running a 10K in November for my 50th birthday - it will be across the Ben Franklin Bridge in Philadelphia.

I've been very interested in everyone's stories. Thanks for listening to mine!

Mrs Snark
08-10-2008, 10:34 AM
Welcome Pink Geranium, great story. I can't imagine running an under 30 5k without even training for it, that must have been great! That's awesome. I worked for MONTHS trying to get an under 30 5k, lol! But it was SWEET when I finally go it.

That 10k race for your 50th sounds like a great way to celebrate a milestone birthday! And in a great location, too!

By the way, I also love swimming. I like to do triathlons, so I try to get in the pool relatively often (though I've been spending more time running recently than swimming). My dream is to one day do an Ironman triathlon (2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run in case someone doesn't know what "Ironman" length is). I've yet to ride even close to 112 miles or run a full marathon (I've done halfs) but I have been able to swim 2.4 miles. But I was pretty darn pooped when I was done.

Jenguin-- great question. Running has taught me so much: perseverance, the power of the mind, the inherent strength of my own body (which I had previously viewed as pretty weak and very non-athletic), the joy of pushing beyond previous limits...

This morning I ran 7 miles and felt really good, I thought I would be sore from Friday's workout, but I was fine. I did speedwork on Friday -- probably the first time since I was a child that I have run 100% FULL OUT (I was doing 100 yard intervals on a football field) and it was SO fun! It was such a freeing feeling to just let it all out without having to moderate pace for the later parts of the run. I can't wait to do that again.

pufffin
08-10-2008, 11:13 AM
I am a beginner runner - still struggling with 1 minute at a time....How far do I have to be able to run before I can call myself a runner? Is it OK for me to read these posts for inspiration and to ask for advice? Not sure I'll ever be able to manage much more than my 1 minute jogs. I am 50 y/o and VERY unfit.

Mrs Snark
08-10-2008, 01:48 PM
I am a beginner runner - still struggling with 1 minute at a time....How far do I have to be able to run before I can call myself a runner? Is it OK for me to read these posts for inspiration and to ask for advice? Not sure I'll ever be able to manage much more than my 1 minute jogs. I am 50 y/o and VERY unfit.

Welcome Pufffin!
You're a runner right now (1 min or 100 mins, that's just a matter of scale!)! Please feel free to participate in the thread! 30 second intervals of jog/walk is how I started running, so don't feel put off by the mileage some of us are doing now! Post away! :)

Mrs Snark
08-10-2008, 01:53 PM
I did speedwork on Friday -- probably the first time since I was a child that I have run 100% FULL OUT (I was doing 100 yard intervals on a football field) and it was SO fun! It was such a freeing feeling to just let it all out without having to moderate pace for the later parts of the run. I can't wait to do that again.

I have to laugh at myself because as I'm reading my latest Runner's World magazine they had a little blurb about "speedwork" in which they say, "Never run all out". Well, hmmmm, lol. Too late! But I guess I will moderate my next speedwork session and maybe do a little more research. I'm pretty new to doing ANY speedwork so I'm sure I've got lots to learn.

midwife
08-10-2008, 02:31 PM
I read that too, Jo, and I have to say I disagree with it. I do sprint intervals with my trainer and run 40 yard dashes, and I sprint the last legs of my runs. I DO run all out! Arms pumping, leaning forward, knees flying, 100%.

Why? Well, it is fun! And I think that this speed work has been the difference between my 12:30 miles and my 9:08 miles. Sometimes I just want to run as fast as I possibly can.

So, I'm no expert, but when I give 100%, I give 100%.

Mrs Snark
08-10-2008, 02:42 PM
I read that too, Jo, and I have to say I disagree with it. I do sprint intervals with my trainer and run 40 yard dashes, and I sprint the last legs of my runs. I DO run all out! Arms pumping, leaning forward, knees flying, 100%.

Why? Well, it is fun! And I think that this speed work has been the difference between my 12:30 miles and my 9:08 miles. Sometimes I just want to run as fast as I possibly can.

So, I'm no expert, but when I give 100%, I give 100%.

Oh good, I'm glad you do it, too! They didn't REALLY explain why you shouldn't run all out, and maybe they didn't mean EVER. I really enjoyed the feeling of putting everything I had into it! I'm glad to know your trainer has you do it, too. Because I was looking forward to doing it again. :)

Tomato
08-10-2008, 03:03 PM
Good afternoon, ladies.

I have a less than stellar peformance to report today; I woke up somewhat hung over from a single (!!) glass of wine that I had last night (I haven't had a drop of wine or any other booze since February but then again I have never been a drinker, not even a social one), and my TOM got into full swing. So with a headache and pretty grumbly, I got on the treadmill determined I am NOT going to skip my run. I did have to cut is wee bit short as the pounding on the treadmill was making my headache a lot worse, but I clicked 4.2 miles and I feel good that I did not take the easy way out and skipped entirely.

Welcome, Pink Geranium! I loved your story.

Welcome, Puffin! Don't worry about your 1 minute intervals - we all have to start somehow. I started with walking on treadmill, gradually increasing speed and incline, and after a few months I decided to jog. At first, I could barely do 2 or 3 four-minute intervals, but it kept getting better EVERY WEEK. I am 49. Just give yourself time and don't give up.

Jenquin - I think that running has taught me perseverance and it gave me the strength to believe that I can meet my goals. It has taught me that "I can't" or "I won't" are not in my vocabulary. It has taught me that even if I think I exhausted after my 5 miles I can still walk my dogs for another 2, and I still CAN go to the gym later the same day.

Matilda08
08-11-2008, 10:21 AM
Good morning ladies! You guys are doing so well it does nothing more but motivate me......(smile) anyways I am a beginner runner as well but I am very proud of myself. I am on week five day two of the c25 running program. Yesterday I even up the incline to level one and boy did I feel a huge difference I broke a sweat and it was such a great feeling.

I have a question for you runners. How many calories are you eating right now?

Parveen
08-11-2008, 12:53 PM
Hi Ladies, good job to all and welcome to the newbies!
I think running really is a mental game, I have learnt i can push my body and see great payoffs! I have learnt patience and perseverance too.
I relaly didnt want to run yesterday, just feeling lazy and mopping around the house, but I did it and was happy I did it, I upped my running intervals to 4mins run, 2 walking, I am really doing my own c25k program. I was getting tired and it clicked in my mind, the faster your run girl, the quicker you will be done, so I ran faster and upped the speed a little bit and saw the distance counter moving quicker and it felt great!!! I ran most of the time at 4.2mph, up by 0.2 and walked at 3.5, upped by 0.5 and did 2miles in 30mins, so I have to squeeze one more mile into the same time!!

Pink Geranium
08-11-2008, 01:39 PM
Hello everyone, thanks for such a nice welcome. I had not thought about it, but I think it will be really nice to be part of a running community (I'm not much of a joiner, usually). And I can see I will learn a lot. I'm very impressed by everyone's stories and your hard work, it will help to inspire me!

Yesterday my husband and I wanted to run 4 miles before a kickboxing class we go to on Sunday AM's. We picked a nature preserve near us - I really like running on trails and in the woods, through fields, etc. We were going to try a section of the trail new to us as part of the run. Usually I run about 2 minutes ahead of my husband as I don't like to talk, etc, and I run a bit faster, so I don't like to pass him. Just run. But, I do tend to get lost and several times have had to call him to find out where I should have been going (oh well, extra calories burned...). This time I confidently found the turnoff and started running along. Nice hills, winding back and forth, tree roots, etc., I liked it. But then it seemed to get more overgrown. Fallen trees. I was climbing through them. It just seemed that they should take better care of the trail! I began to feel that familiar sensation of - I am lost. Again. But my husband had told me he had forgotten his phone before we started, so I was on my own.

After pushing through some thorny kind of bushes I really felt I should turn back, but I didn't want to stop the "run". Crawling was more like it. Finally, when the "trail" ended up in someone's back yard, I realized I was licked. Went back down the hill, those thorny bushes much worse than before, and to where the overgrown section started. The real trail bent to my left, just mocking me. Why did I not see it before? And why did I keep going even though a sensible person would have seen that the reason the trail was overgrown was that it was NOT A TRAIL? My husband came running back, saying he'd been looking for me after he went by the turn and heard a lot of crashing (it was early AM and very still). I had a lot of scratches. Looked worse than it was, but still...It was like one of those movies where the mangled person stumbles out of the woods yelling, Look what the monster did to me!

OK. We just picked up where we left off and finished the run. I don't think I touched any poison ivy. And at least the next time I know where this trail actually goes, it was pretty nice after all. I do wonder why I didn't turn around earlier. My husband says "you are very focused". I say, I'm nuts!

If I can keep up experiences like this I'll never get bored with running!

Diva
08-11-2008, 02:25 PM
I restarted the c25k this morning. :)

First I did a HIIT TM workout and then I did week 1 day 1 of c25k. Altogether I jogged 14 minutes & walked and climbed hills the rest until 3.1 was showing. :D I feel good!

kittycat40
08-11-2008, 03:16 PM
:carrot:

I ran my 12 miles this past Sunday. woo hoo. go me. :D

-should prob. say it took just under 3 hours. I still feel super butch!!

:running:

midwife
08-11-2008, 04:34 PM
Great job, Kitty! :bravo: :carrot:

Pink, I loved the running story. You are correct, running is never boring!

kittycat40
08-11-2008, 05:13 PM
Hello everyone, thanks for such a nice welcome. I had not thought about it, but I think it will be really nice to be part of a running community (I'm not much of a joiner, usually). And I can see I will learn a lot. I'm very impressed by everyone's stories and your hard work, it will help to inspire me!

Yesterday my husband and I wanted to run 4 miles before a kickboxing class we go to on Sunday AM's. We picked a nature preserve near us - I really like running on trails and in the woods, through fields, etc. We were going to try a section of the trail new to us as part of the run. Usually I run about 2 minutes ahead of my husband as I don't like to talk, etc, and I run a bit faster, so I don't like to pass him. Just run. But, I do tend to get lost and several times have had to call him to find out where I should have been going (oh well, extra calories burned...). This time I confidently found the turnoff and started running along. Nice hills, winding back and forth, tree roots, etc., I liked it. But then it seemed to get more overgrown. Fallen trees. I was climbing through them. It just seemed that they should take better care of the trail! I began to feel that familiar sensation of - I am lost. Again. But my husband had told me he had forgotten his phone before we started, so I was on my own.

After pushing through some thorny kind of bushes I really felt I should turn back, but I didn't want to stop the "run". Crawling was more like it. Finally, when the "trail" ended up in someone's back yard, I realized I was licked. Went back down the hill, those thorny bushes much worse than before, and to where the overgrown section started. The real trail bent to my left, just mocking me. Why did I not see it before? And why did I keep going even though a sensible person would have seen that the reason the trail was overgrown was that it was NOT A TRAIL? My husband came running back, saying he'd been looking for me after he went by the turn and heard a lot of crashing (it was early AM and very still). I had a lot of scratches. Looked worse than it was, but still...It was like one of those movies where the mangled person stumbles out of the woods yelling, Look what the monster did to me!

OK. We just picked up where we left off and finished the run. I don't think I touched any poison ivy. And at least the next time I know where this trail actually goes, it was pretty nice after all. I do wonder why I didn't turn around earlier. My husband says "you are very focused". I say, I'm nuts!

I am laughing out loud!!!

Mrs Snark
08-12-2008, 10:20 AM
Way to go Kitty!!! Awesome! :bravo:

Pink -- that's hysterical and it so sounds like something I would do! I love when runs turn into adventures!

Midwife -- can I assume from your comments on my swimming blog post that there could be a triathlon in your future?! You should SO do one, you'd love it.

Tomato
08-12-2008, 01:45 PM
Pink Geranium, please keep posting! I love your stories - people from other cubes come running to mine to see what is so funny!

Kitty - you rock! 12 miles? oh my gosh.

I did my usual 5 miles on the treadmill this morning but I am not a happy camper. I feel a very odd stiffness in my right hip when I get up and start moving - I can eventually walk it out, but I don't like that it's there to start with. A while ago, I though I was having a hip problem but my doctor said it had to be one of the muscles. I try to stretch before as well as after running, and also whenever I am at the gym (like almost every day) I used the stretching station - it is great for the legs but it does not do anything for the hips. I am worried I have to have to skip a day to give myself time to recover.
Oh, the joys of being as ancient as Rome!!!

lene1974
08-12-2008, 03:33 PM
Help me runners! Please help me!

I have been running the c25K for over 7 weeks now. I am now up to 25 minute runs which is around 2.5 miles. (I think I'm closer to 2.3 miles.) I went on vacation last week and have been struggling to finish my 25 minutes this week. So instead of doing 28 minute runs for week 8, I am repeating week 7. Did I lose you yet?
My problem is that I have signed up for a 5K for Sept 14th (Lupus Run) and am completely freaking out because a) I'm not a runner and b) I've fallen behind in my training. Do any of you have any advice for me? I really don't want to give up the run. I just need to know the best way to prepare for it. I'm kinda flipping out over the whole thing. :yikes:

Any and all advice would really be appreciated.

MBN
08-12-2008, 03:56 PM
Relax! If your goal is to "finish" a 5K, then you can surely do it right now, today. You may not go as fast as you like, you make take walk breaks, but you can certainly get out there and make it though 3.1 miles.

Some purists believe that if you don't run every single step of a race, then you aren't "running" it. I don't subscribe to that theory. If you walk it all, then you walked it (and plenty do!). If you run any part of it, as far as I'm concerned, you ran it. You know with certainty that you can run part of it and walk the rest if you have to, so you are golden.

If you are going 2.3 or 2.5 miles in 25 minutes, that's pretty doggone quick for a beginner, between 10-11 minutes per mile. Sometimes to go longer, you need to slow down. Work on distance first and the speed can come later.

So my advice is to train as best you can, and enjoy the event! Races are great fun. Some speedy rabbits will go really REALLY fast, and there will be others that will walk the whole thing and feel great that they could finish at all. Chances are, you'll be somewhere in between. Taking walk breaks is NOT a failure, it's a strategy. Just get out there, don't go out too fast, do your best, and have fun!!

If you run ... then you are a runner!

Diva
08-12-2008, 07:26 PM

OMG! :lol: This story cracked me up!!!!

KimProbable
08-13-2008, 01:09 AM
Pink - What a fantastic story! :lol:

Kitty - WTG on the rocking run!! :carrot:

So I'm on here posting so that I can feel more like a runner. My taper week is leaving me feeling less than athletic and I'm really missing running! It's been 6 days since my last run and I'm still 6 days from race day. Gah!

I was supposed to do a couple of 6K's on the weekend but I had some pain inside of my knee which scared me off of them. I'm ok working through soft tissue pain (obviously, as I've been dealing with one ache or another this entire training period!) but joint pain worries me.

I did get the go-ahead from my clinic instructor to do 30 minutes of non-running activity today and tomorrow so I was totally stoked to get on the elliptical tonight. I did 4.7 miles in 30 minutes (just about double the distance I use to do in that time in the winter!) and felt great. I couldn't believe how much I was sweating though! I had drops of sweat all over the floor where the sweat was dripping down my arms and off my elbow. Eeeew. :D

I'm trying to maintain my focus right now on still making good food choices. Running has been key for me in changing my diet so I really need to push myself this week.

And if anyone has healthy knee vibes they want to send my way they'd be greatly appreciated as I've still got a small something going on in there!

Mrs Snark
08-13-2008, 08:46 AM
*focusing really hard*

OK, I just sent all my healthy, healing vibes to Kim's knee. Hopefully I didn't leave myself so depleted that my head falls off later today, because that would be inconvenient.

Lene -- My advice is to just continue with your training and enjoy yourself. You'll be fine! If for some reason you aren't quite up to running the whole 3.1 when race day comes you can do walk/run intervals! That's perfectly normal and acceptable and lots of people swear by walk/run intervals as a method for endurance so you don't need to feel funny about walking part of the race. In my area, plenty of people walk the WHOLE race, it's totally normal and OK! So don't get over-stressed about it. And if you are working the C25k program, you most certainly ARE a runner! You're doing great, just keep it up!

midwife
08-13-2008, 09:41 AM
Jo, yes I am considering a tri. For me the barrier has always been cycling, but now that barrier is gone. I am not a great swimmer but I can and will improve....so, why not do a tri? My sil has done a couple this summer and will be great support. :)

Lene, you can totally run the 5K. Pace yourself, don't go out too fast (even if everyone else is passing you--I promise there will still be people behind you) and find your stride.

Kim, sending happy knee thoughts your way.

Mrs Snark
08-13-2008, 09:52 AM
Well, I ran 5.5 miles this morning in my new running shoes, which are New Balance 805s. They are much lighter and more flexible than my previous New Balances but I think I like them. They are about as close to racing flats as I think I'll ever get to, though.

I felt faster, but I'm still struggling to get into a steady 8:XX pace for anything over 2 miles. I seem firmly entrenched in the 9:XX pace range. Maybe I'll be able to manage when the temperatures drop, it is still so hot and humid here!

lene1974
08-13-2008, 10:59 AM
Thanks for the advice MBN, Josephine, and midwife. I had just registered for the 5K right before posting and it had suddenly become very real to me. I read and reread this thread and decided I would just give myself off 2 days and try again this AM. I was able to run an entire 30 minutes! I can't tell you how empowered and happy I felt. I have no idea the distance but I'm guessing @ 2 3/4 miles???
While running I realize that I seem to hit a pivotal moment when my mind says "just walk for awhile". If I can just push thru that moment then going longer seems easier. If I give in and walk that I'm just annoyed at myself for walking for that 20 seconds.

I feel so inspired by all of you on this thread. When I'm running I'm thinking of all your successes and it really pushes me to go for it. Thanks again for your input and support.

Mrs Snark
08-13-2008, 11:12 AM
Yay Lene! That must have been awesome to just push through this morning! Congratulations! :bravo:

kittycat40
08-13-2008, 05:06 PM
Hey gals,

Thanks for your kind words cool running chicks.

Lene, my reaction too, was you can def. do it!!
Be well running chicks!!

i planned on doing a double run at work today... then realized I had the day off to visit DS at camp. did 1 mile on treadmill (12min). still got plenty sweaty.
I LOVE to sweat!! don't really like the treadmill tho.

planning on 6er tomorrow am.

later taters...

Tomato
08-13-2008, 05:13 PM
I am having an ESP session with your knees right now, Kim!

hadaad
08-13-2008, 06:04 PM
I ran 5k yesterday on the treadmill while Kim was on the elliptical and another 5k today while a test was running on the computer.

I'm trying to decide whether to push for more distance or more speed, going forward.

Pink Geranium
08-13-2008, 06:52 PM
This is to lene1974 who was wondering if she could make the 5K, I say, from my own experience, when you get into a race you will have strength and speed you had no idea was there. It's just a lot of fun to be competing and in a group of others all trying to push themselves, and it inspires you, or at least me!

If you are thinking of conserving your strength in the event to make the distance in whatever way you want to, my only advice is not to get caught up in the sprint off the start, but find your own pace and stick to it until everyone settles down. In my first race I actually looked around to see if anyone was left behind me, so many seemed to be passing me, but of course there were, and I re-passed some of those passers (ugh, this sentence is just so confused!) not that much later on and went on to finish respectably (meaning within what I wanted to do). Plus, the others are right. I count it as a run if you run any of it, and I can also tell you that I have found I can run VERY SLOWLY, amazing how slowly my legs can go! and get a rest.

Doing my first race is what hooked me on running. (I had tried running, I had given in to the desire to stop running and walk for many years and never got past that, but the first race I did did it for me, showed me I could actually do it!) Just loved the whole thing. What a sense of accomplishment you have ahead of you, doing a 5k, to add to what you are already doing! Good luck!

KimProbable
08-13-2008, 08:52 PM
Jo, Midwife, and Tomato: My knee sends big happy kisses to you all! It's feeling pretty good today. Race day here I come!!

My pecs and my upper back are feeling the effects of yesterday's elliptical session. I think I need to do more upper body work!

Kitty: I'm right there with you on the loving to sweat and preferring runs that don't involve the treadmill! I'm not looking forward to running outdoors with our bone-chilling winters but there's something less than appealing about running on a treadmill for months.

Lene: You rock!!! :carrot:

MBN
08-14-2008, 03:07 PM
[QUOTE=Pink Geranium;2315111]
If you are thinking of conserving your strength in the event to make the distance in whatever way you want to, my only advice is not to get caught up in the sprint off the start, but find your own pace and stick to it until everyone settles down.QUOTE]

In a race situation, it is REALLY hard not to get caught up in the adrenaline rush at the start and go out way faster than you should, based on your ability and training. I remember a 5K I did last spring, it was a very small event raising money for one of the Sickle Cell anemia foundations I think. There weren't a lot of runners, mostly walkers and quite a gaggle of kids participating. The gun went off, and about a dozen teenagers took off like the proverbial bats out of heck .... left me in the dust ... they took the lead for, oh, about 100 yards and dropped out to the side completely winded. Don't do that. :D I got quite a chuckle as I cruised on by never to see them again... :p

Can I brag on myself just a bit? That was a REALLY small race because there were at least 2 or 3 other higher-profile races the same day, and the fast runners went to those. There were maybe 60 registered runners and a couple hundred walkers. After I blew by the kids, I pulled a 5K personal record (PR) of 26:18 which in this race was good enough for 3rd female overall! :carrot: So the moral of the story is, you don't have to be REALLY fast, just fast enough to beat most of the others that show up that day. ;)

Mrs Snark
08-14-2008, 05:37 PM
I ran 5k yesterday on the treadmill while Kim was on the elliptical and another 5k today while a test was running on the computer.

I'm trying to decide whether to push for more distance or more speed, going forward.

Welcome Hadaad! Hmmm distance or speed, distance or speed.Tough to choose. No reason why you can't do both though.... right?

Can I brag on myself just a bit? That was a REALLY small race because there were at least 2 or 3 other higher-profile races the same day, and the fast runners went to those. There were maybe 60 registered runners and a couple hundred walkers. After I blew by the kids, I pulled a 5K personal record (PR) of 26:18 which in this race was good enough for 3rd female overall! :carrot: So the moral of the story is, you don't have to be REALLY fast, just fast enough to beat most of the others that show up that day. ;)

NICE JOB! Sounds like that was a great race! Congratulations! :carrot:

I biked and walked today, since I ran yesterday and will run tomorrow -- but the whole time I was thinking of running. I'm trying not to become a one-sport person, but it has now been a couple of weeks since I got in the pool (bad Jo, bad), and even when I'm biking I'm wishing I was running -- except when I bike with my husband, which usually only happens on weekends.

If I'm honest, right now I'd prefer to run every day.

Tomato
08-15-2008, 11:27 AM
MBN - congrats!!!

I made a weeny teeny progress - I usually run alternating between 4.8 and 4.9 mph but today I ran almost my entire distance at 4.9 mph. I WILL make it to 5 mph one day!

lene1974
08-15-2008, 01:19 PM
This is to lene1974 who was wondering if she could make the 5K, I say, from my own experience, when you get into a race you will have strength and speed you had no idea was there. It's just a lot of fun to be competing and in a group of others all trying to push themselves, and it inspires you, or at least me!

Thank you for your response Pink. I'm hoping the adrenaline gives me that extra boost if I need it. I'm really going to try to pace myself.

MBN~ I had no idea that kids actually participate in these runs. I know that they can but I'm surprised about how many do. I hope they don't run me over. :D Great job on 26:18 run time!

Tomato~ great job running 4.9, 5mph is right around the corner

Josephine~It's funny you say that you'd rather be running. When I'm running and a cyclist passes me I keep wishing they would stop and give me a lift. :p

Parveen
08-15-2008, 02:58 PM
Hi Ladies
Congrats to everybody for doign great, you ladies who rum mega miles are my inspiration!
I havent gotten outside yet, but I am now running at 4.0mph for 5 mins and then walking for 2min! I cannot believe I am doign 5mins! i think I will continue increasing the running time beofre i increase the speed. I think I will fall off the treadmill if I run at 5mph!!
I was going to register for a run/walk next month, but I will be fasting (I am muslim)and I am really nervous I will stop working out and be back to week one when I start again. Do you think that will happen or I will be okay to jump back on after four weeks out?

Matilda08
08-15-2008, 03:37 PM
Hello Ladies! I ran today and it felt so refreshing today was one of those days I really didnt feel like working out but I pushed myself. I just completed w5d3 on the c25 training I must admitt that last week I started to up the incline just to level one and I am glad I did because I feel a major difference. Anyways I hope all is well with everyone.

Pink Geranium
08-15-2008, 06:13 PM
I would like to say that yesterday I went on that run that I got lost on last Sunday, and this time stayed on course. It was a nice run, that part I missed by taking off on my own into the wilderness! I do wonder about my unfailing ability to miss turns, ignore trail signs right in front of me, etc., but --- guess it just makes life more interesting.

I am doing a 5k race tomorrow morning on the road, so I think I should be all right (since quite a few people will be in front of me, so I can just run in perfect calmness following them).

Does anyone else do trail runs? I really enjoy being in the woods, the roughness of the footing, etc. It certainly distracts from the feeling of, how much more can I run without keeling over, when you are concentrating on jumping over a little stream or those tree roots, or managing the footing on a gravelly path, I will say that!

Mrs Snark
08-15-2008, 11:54 PM
Parveen -- It would certainly be hard to run while fasting. How long does the fasting last -- from your post I'm assuming 4 weeks? Maybe you can do a light walking training plan during that time to keep you in the habit of working out?

Tomato -- you'll be at 5 mph before you know it, clearly you're doing awesome.

Matilda -- nice job completing W5D3! Pushing through those days when you don't want to work out deserves special praise, so WELL DONE YOU!

PG -- Good luck at your 5k tomorrow, I'm sure you'll kick butt! I enjoy trail runs, but there are not that many good options for me to run right out my door since I live on a barrier island (between the ocean and a river). Mostly I end up running on pavement -- but at least I almost always have a water view! When I vacation I always search out trails -- I just came back from Monterey/Big Sur area and I ran trails all over the place including in Big Basin Redwoods State Park and up on the cliffs of Half Moon Bay. It was awesome.

Tonight I did 6.81 miles. I really prefer running first thing in the morning, but then occasionally I run at night and do enjoy it. It is the feeling of waiting around all day to do my run that I do NOT enjoy. :)

cakses
08-16-2008, 03:17 PM
Hello all. I used to be a somewhat frequent poster on this thread then I fell off the wagon. Well I am back on, but doing a 12 week program of weights/cardio so my running is 3 times a week only for 20 minutes (HIIT training). I get in around 1.8-2.0 miles with a w/u and c/d. After the 12 weeks I plan on bumping my running up to a few miles at a time 3 days a week.

I am feeling a lot better this time around, no pain in the hip and I attribute that to the weights I am faithfully doing. My run speed isn't where it used to be but I am sure after this program is done I will be much faster and have more endurance!

hadaad
08-16-2008, 07:29 PM
Well, I hit 7k today, so I guess I am going for more distance - at least for now.

Mrs Snark
08-17-2008, 09:45 AM
Welcome back to the thread Cakses! Glad the hip pain has faded!

This morning I ran 6.05 miles with the only problems being humidity in the 95% range and a Pelican that seemed determined to poop on me. Fortunately, he only got a little on me, but a little Pelican poop goes a looooooooooong way.

KimProbable
08-17-2008, 08:13 PM
Jo - I'm killing myself giggling about pelican poops! I'm so glad you share these stories with us. :D

Cakses - WTG on getting back into running! I'm fully of the opinion that the first few weeks are the hardest part so go you! :carrot:

Pink - I've done a little bit of trail running but I haven't focused on it too much. Some of my long runs have had a fairly good chunk (7-10K) of trail and I've always enjoyed it. There's something about getting off the concrete and into the trees that's very refreshing!

So in my news...I ran my half-marathon today!!! :hyper: My goal was to come in somewhere between 2:15 and 2:30, and I finished at 2:20:07. Yeehaw!

I started out feeling really great and the lack of any ouch in my legs and knee made me really appreciate the 11-day taper. It's been a long time since I've done a run that hasn't hurt. I think I ran on adrenaline for the first 10K then my energy dipped a bit between the 12-15K mark. With the help of my shot blocks and my running buddy's pep talks, I pushed through and we picked up our pace at the 17K mark. The last 3K were harsh and I kept telling myself "Only 3 more...Only 2 more...Only 1 more". We made it to the home stretch and as we rounded the last block I picked up to a sprint and my friend and I dashed full out across the finish line.

It was a really fantastic run. Nothing on my body hurt and I was able to run based on my energy level and my breathing. I really felt like I gave it my all and although I didn't beat my time from 6 years ago (2:14) this finish time for where my body is right now is fantastic. And not beating my old time just gives me a really good excuse to run another half! ;)

Tonight, my running buddy is having a going away party (she's moving to China later this week) and I'm looking forward to a good celebration with just a wee bit of alcohol. :D

Oh, and here's a pic of me and my friend at the finish line (I'm on the right!):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v701/KimProbable/Picture026-1.jpg

cakses
08-17-2008, 08:19 PM
Congrats!

hadaad
08-17-2008, 08:48 PM
Congratulations, Kim! You know how proud I am of you. It's not about the time, though. I was proud of you before you ever set foot on the track.

Tyler Durden: A little pelican poop DOES go a long way. 6.05 miles, if I read it right.

I got jealous of Kim's running so much that I decided to go for a 9k run. It was nice. It took me past the old condo and the trail I used to take to work on the bike.

lene1974
08-17-2008, 10:33 PM
Kim, how incredible! I can't even imagine how great you must be feeling! Congratulations on your race. Enjoy your friend's going away party.

Josephine, sorry about that darn bird getting you. I had a bird keep diving at my head the other day. It was really funny and annoying at the same time.

hadaad, one day I'll be able to run a 9K. I'm glad you had a nice run.

Mrs Snark
08-18-2008, 07:47 AM
CONGRATULATIONS KIM!!!!! :bravo:

It sounds like you had a wonderful race! When I think of all the training you've put it, you certainly DESERVED to have a great race. Have you added up how many miles you ran in total preparing for this race? That will be an impressive number!

The picture is great, you look FABULOUS and so HAPPY! I'm so thrilled for you!

WAY TO GO!

Tomato
08-18-2008, 11:42 AM
Kim - YAY!!! :cp::bravo::hat:

Lovely picture and is sounds like a fabulous run. The celebration later in the day was more than well deserved. Although, can you please tell me how you manage to run a half-marathon with nary a bead of sweat on you? There is a 5K and a 10K run in my town in October but I don't think I can run in public - I look like I fell into a pool when I am done.

I hanging my head in shame - the last time I ran was Friday of last week. I was scheduled to run on Sunday morning, but I was visiting a friend (out of town) on Saturday evening and got home past midnight, and then watched TV for about an hour - I need some downtime before going to bed. I woke up at 10 am !!!!! so not only I did not do the treadmill (I was thinking maybe later) but I also missed my half hour core class. Grr. Although I have to say I did some gardening - almost 5 hours.
I thought I would run this morning but one of my dogs is very ill so I kept her in my bed and I kept waking up every time she moved (thinking she may need to go out) and when 5:30 came, I was a total zombie.
Don't know if I can run tonight but I will run tomorrow morning for sure.
I will think of victorious, sweat-free Kim for an inspiration. :D

KimProbable
08-18-2008, 01:01 PM
Tomato - The picture is very deceiving! I actually had sweat soaking the armpits of my shirt before I even crossed the start line. It was a really hot day (it was 22C/71F by the time I finished but went up to 32C/90F by later in the afternoon!) and the race organizers put out a bunch of extra water stations to help us cope. I took to drinking one cup and dumping one cup over my head at each station. So yeah, I was good and sweaty and occasionally soaked with water too!

150reasons
08-18-2008, 08:13 PM
I have a question for the "seasoned runners" (and anyone else who might know the answer:D). I started doing HIIT several weeks ago. I am running on a track to do it. Today, I noticed that there was a different sound when my left foot hit than when my right foot hit. Paying closer attention, I noticed that the left foot was hitting a lot harder, then I noticed that while my right foot was hitting in a heel to toe manner, my left foot was hitting almost completely flat. I also do this when I walk, but it's not as noticeable because I don't make as much noise when I walk. Has anyone else experienced this? Do you have any suggestions to remedy this problem? Thanks in advance.
Michelle

Tomato
08-19-2008, 10:54 AM
I am feeling somewhat better today as I got on the treadmill this morning. It was getting humid and hot yesterday so I did not even want to think about running (but I did a good job cleaning the kitchen and even washed the window). We got a bit of a storm last night - YAY to that and it is much cooler today although it won't last long.

I felt I need to step it up after skipping one run so I actually ran 4 miles for the first time today. Although the speed is nothing to write home about - it took me almost 51 minutes to cover 4.05 miles. Oh well, that's alright, I am of the snail species. :-)

150reasons - sorry, I don't know the answer to your question.

Parveen
08-19-2008, 12:11 PM
Hi Ladies
well yesterday I ran 6 minutes!!!! I did 6min run/3min walk!! for about 30mins and then walked fast the rest of the time getting to 2.5miles!!
I am so happy, I cannot beleive I have progressed from where I could not run more than 2 minutes!!
I have a major issue with boredom, so I am fianlly getting a TV for the rommwhere my treadmill is! that should help me to stop looking on the watch and go for longer on the runs!
I actually experienced the groove you get when you just feel like your body is wokring together and not dying!!
KimProbable Congrats on the Marathon! wow, you look good, I think I would have died!! you make it sound fun!

Tomato
08-19-2008, 12:37 PM
Parveen, great job!!! :cp:

hadaad
08-21-2008, 07:44 PM
I have a question for the "seasoned runners" (and anyone else who might know the answer:D). I started doing HIIT several weeks ago. I am running on a track to do it. Today, I noticed that there was a different sound when my left foot hit than when my right foot hit. Paying closer attention, I noticed that the left foot was hitting a lot harder, then I noticed that while my right foot was hitting in a heel to toe manner, my left foot was hitting almost completely flat. I also do this when I walk, but it's not as noticeable because I don't make as much noise when I walk. Has anyone else experienced this? Do you have any suggestions to remedy this problem? Thanks in advance.
Michelle

I don't know the answer to your question but I have some advice. It seems like this could get to be a problem if you're going to start doing long-distance running, so I would, if I were you, talk to a running coach. In Edmonton, we have stores called The Running Room where they help fit you for shoes by watching your stride. The one who helped me with my shoes was also my wife's Clinic instructor for the half-marathon. I'm sure that someone like that could help you with your stride as well, or at least tell you if you risk doing damage to your knee or legs by landing flat-footed.

As far as home-brewed suggestions, all I can think of is to try to pull your toes up and make sure you land on your heel. Try it for a bit and see if it helps. Maybe try unbending your leg a little bit more,too, since that would point your heel to the ground a little more as well, but make sure you don't lock your knee. I could be full of it, but if you want a heel-to-toe stride, those are things that I would try.

MY UPDATE: Well, last week was really good. I got lots of runs in, including a 9km run on Sunday, but work has seriously interfered with my ability to get out. I've been glued to the computer running performance tests and I haven't gotten out.

150reasons
08-21-2008, 10:47 PM
Thanks, Hadaad! I really just want to be balanced, in more ways than one;) I found out I have some issues in my hips as well, which may be contributing. I have been working to really pull the left toe up, which has resulted in a really sore left shin, which has resulted in me having to go easy on the running:( I would definitely rather slow down than have an injury stop me, but it's frustrating to just get going and already have to slow down.

lene1974
08-21-2008, 11:04 PM
Parveen, Great Job on your run!

I ran 3 miles tonight in a little over 32 minutes. I pretty happy with that. If I can do that for my 5K I should be okay?

With the days getting shorter it is really hard for me to get my runs in. I work at 6:30AM so I normally run before work. It is still dark out at 5:30 so I can't go before work anymore. I have my kiddos during the day, no run for me then. My Dh doesn't get home until after 6PM. We have dinner @6:25ish, clean up, let my tummy settle and then I get out close to 8PM to run. It's getting dark as I finish my run. I really am going to miss my AM runs. :(

Mrs Snark
08-22-2008, 06:43 PM
I did a 5.51 mile run this morning and a 4.01 mile run yesterday midday where I threw in lots of sprint repeats on the football field again (yippee!). Finally I got out of the house, Tropical Fay has had me homebound for days, going crazy.

150reasons -- I agree with Hadaad that it might be good idea to get your gait analyzed. I am not a heel striker, I strike much more in the midfoot area. Lots of information about heel striking versus midfoot striking available online, but it seems that there are proponents for both styles. For all I know I'm a very loud runner! :)

Lene -- you're looking GREAT for your 5k! I do almost all my runs in the dark, I actually prefer it. When I was working I used to go around 4:30 am. Now I usually go around 5:30 am. If I miss the morning I'll usually wait until after sunset to go. My midday run yesterday was a rarity, but I was afraid there wouldn't be another break in the tropical storm so I went as soon as the radar showed a brief break in the weather!

Parveen -- GREAT JOB! I bet a TV will REALLY help you start stretching out the distance. I rarely run on a treadmill, but when I do I HAVE to have a tv going!

lene1974
08-22-2008, 10:28 PM
Josephine, do you wear reflective gear or take a light with you? I live in the suburbs but many of our roads do not have street lights. Glad your surviving Fay. I haven't watched TV in days so I'm not sure if its winding down or going away yet. Take care of yourself.

Mrs Snark
08-23-2008, 05:51 PM
I don't wear any headlight or anything, I find general ambient light to be enough (I'm in the suburbs too, but your eyes adjust to the darkness).

But I do wear the "Firefly supernova blinking light (http://www.roadid.com/common/firefly.aspx#supernova)" to make sure people know I'm there, and I wear a RoadID dog tag in my shoe pouch (http://www.roadid.com/common/id.aspx) in case something happens to me while I'm out there.

Thanks for the good vibes on Fay. She has passed and we're hoping the flood waters start receding!

thelish
08-24-2008, 01:20 PM
Hi All, new here! I just started c25k program, because I really want to be a runner. Long ago, before the days of worrying about my weight I ran...but unfortunately this was one of the joys being overweight took away. Anyway, now that I have lost some I decided it was time to try again. I'm glad I found this page...you all have super inspiring stories!!!

Mrs Snark
08-24-2008, 02:05 PM
Welcome Lish! Isn't it nice reclaiming your former self? :carrot: I'm sure you'll blow through the C25k program, so enjoy it!

By the way, you have really adorable hair, SO cute!

Tomato
08-24-2008, 03:38 PM
Hi All, new here! I just started c25k program, because I really want to be a runner. Long ago, before the days of worrying about my weight I ran...but unfortunately this was one of the joys being overweight took away. Anyway, now that I have lost some I decided it was time to try again. I'm glad I found this page...you all have super inspiring stories!!!

Hi and welcome.

My hip is sore but I am determined to 65 miles in August as I had set it at the beginning of the month. So I did 5.2 miles (I tried HIIT). Normally, I sweat a lot but today it was INSANE. Jo, if had know how much I weighed before I ran I would have hopped on the scale again when I was done to see if I beat you. I am sure I did!!!:p

kittycat40
08-24-2008, 11:54 PM
Hi all you cool runners!!
I am back from vacation in the foothills of the Berkshires-- soooo beautiful. Got 2 great runs in and did not gain a pound!!

suffered a bit of shin splints after a 9er. rested 4 days... then a shortie 2 er and tried to make it a quickie-- the run, that is ;). and ended with a 6er. I am aware that this training is improving my stamina and performance in general. very cool indeed.

sooo, I haven't read far back but I am seeing pelican poop pop up a ibt. must read on. saw something about Kim and a half marathon success-- congrats!!

will fully catch up during work hours (don't tell!) tomorrow.

good night all!!

Pink Geranium
08-25-2008, 06:34 PM
Hello everyone, thanks for the comments on trail running, and I'm very impressed by that half-marathon by Kim. Wow! Can't imagine how good that achivement must feel!

Two running things that have happened to me recently. I did a 5k on 8/22 and did my best time ever : 24:52. Shocked myself silly. Trying to run a little faster in the beginning (I am a slow starter and speed up as the run goes on) seemed to make a difference. I will be in another one on 9/1, should be a comparable course (running around on streets, pretty flat, etc.) It will be interesting to see how that turns out.

Maybe I should say three things, I ran 8 miles in a row for the first time this week. Wow! I was very tired by the end of that! But it was on a nice trail through a park, lots of deer, rabbits, birds encouraging me on (or I choose to see it that way!). I think this is the longest I want to go at one time. This way I know I can do 5k's and also I feel more confident about the 10K in November.

Last thing, on Sunday, we went to a different state park (I was running before having to go to an art show I was participating in, so the park was near the show and unfamiliar). A simple (on the map) 5 mile loop plus I planned to do a little more to make 6 miles. My husband said, Keep going right if there is a fork. So I did. But what do you do if you see there are 2 rights at the same place (a fork with three choices???). The map didn't seem to show all these roads... Well, if you are me you take the rightest right and end up about a half mile away in some dead end parking lot. So I turned around and went to the middle right, which was the correct right. Complete the run without further incident. I really am starting to wonder about myself with this getting lost thing. I don't do it driving, just running. I think it's that I always think, oh, I'll make this work out and get back on track, (by what? plunging through dense undergrowth or over streams or 4 lane highways? Is that next???) and I don't want to stop running! This is causing a lot of amusement in my family. And I guess I do get some extra calories burned. My husband says he has also noticed I run a lot faster after I get on back on track as he thinks it makes me mad to make this these mistakes!

Sometimes I think swimming (the other sport I do) has one big thing over running - I can't get lost, at least!

OK, see you later!

valareha
08-27-2008, 02:11 AM
Josephine - A few weeks back I read your entire Blog - it was a time when I was feeling down had hit a bad place with my eating. Your blog so inspired me that I started running (my brother is a triathelete and my trainer runs marathons but it took your blog to inspire me!)

Although I have been working out consistantly over the past year I have never run before .... over the past two weeks I have run 10 times at 2 miles a run - I feel great and have signed up for a 5K on October 19th and am eating clean again.

I just wanted to say thank you for sharing such a personal side of yourself with others...I'm sure I'm not the only person that you have impacted.

I wish you all the best - I know you will be at goal very soon.

:hug: Donna

Mrs Snark
08-27-2008, 09:27 AM
Awwwwww, that is so sweet, Donna! What a nice thing to say! Yay! It is so awesome when someone says that they can relate so much to your journey, it let's us know we all have the same struggles!

Congratulations on your running, that is just WONDERFUL! How exciting to be signed up for a 5k in October, I bet that gives you lots of motivation! :carrot:

Please post here with us and let us know how your running is going!

:hug:

Tomato
08-28-2008, 01:20 PM
Hi ladies,

I have a little update to share with you. I had a retest at my gym last night (really nothing else that they put me on the Tanita Body Analyzer scale and it spits out a printout with numbers). The good news is that since my last retest, at the end of June, I managed to decrease my body weight from 28.8% to 25.5% and I am pretty happy about that. [Midwife - no :rofl: please, I do realize it is a very amusing number compared to yours LOL].

The not so good news is that I somehow lost 2.2 lbs of muscle and that is upsetting. I don't really understand how that happened - too much treadmill, I guess? I think I will have to lay off the treadmill a bit and do just smaller distances and I will go down to 3x a week instead of every other day. My sore hip won't mind that, I am sure. I don't want to stop running, I am very proud of being able to puff through a couple of miles, no matter how slowly. I will wait for a new gym schedule (for group classes) and maybe set up a more structured regimen of my workouts and definitely more weigh lifting.

lene1974
08-30-2008, 02:49 PM
Great job decreasing your body weight Tomato!

Josephine, I love your blog too. I read it after I saw Donna's post. You have come so far. Thanks for sharing the links for the light and tag. I did attempt a run in the dark the other day. I was a little nervous at first but then I saw someone else running with their dogs and I was at ease. It was actually very pleasant.

Congratulations on your 2 mile runs Donna. I signed up for my first 5K Sept 14th. Good luck with your training!

Pink, Great time on your 5K! Your getting lost stories are very entertaining. Good luck on your next 5K!

Kitty, vacation and no weight gain is fantastic. Sorry about your shin splits :(

Have a great Labor Day weekend everyone!

denialisnthappiness
08-30-2008, 06:08 PM
Well I'm only catching on the tail end of this thread... september is almost upon us. Seem to be lurking quite a lot recently. Two months post op now, weight remains the same (tiniest smidge under 160 so slightly up on my lowest 'ever').

ANYWAY I've signed up for my first run! (I don't like the word race it frightens me!). It's only a 10k but I'm (for want of a better phrase) batsh!t scared! I've told no one... no family, no friends. Just going to leave the house on Sept 21st like I'm off to the gym and go do that instead!

Anyone else done a 10k before? What kind of times did you achieve? Just general interest really :)

Other than that - still doing HIIT on treadmill at gym 3 times a week under the guidance of a trainer... makes me feel like I'm about to vomit my insides out onto the treadmill :) Getting slightly better though! :D

mmmm long outside run tomorrow too... only manage outside at the weekends now :(

Pink Geranium
08-31-2008, 02:17 PM
I have done lots of 5K's but not a 10K (to denialisnthappiness). But I've run that far in practice recently as I'm getting ready for one in November ( I will turn 50 2 weeks after it, so I'm kicking off the new decade with this event) which goes over and back the Ben Franklin bridge in Philadelphia. Anyway, I am hoping to do under 1 hour and I've done about 55-57 minutes on a couple of different courses around here. So I think the 1 hour thing for me is realistic.

My advice is for a first run like this, I will tell you about my first 5K - I think what helped me make it was that I did not race off like a rabbit from the start and try to stay with everyone else. I tried to keep a steady pace and keep my mind on my own running (Though it was hard with everyone passing me at the start, to the point where I looked behind me to see if anyone was left...). That made a difference, I think I would have worn out if I had not done this. I know it's only a 5K, but I plan to keep this in mind for the longer distance as well.

I also advise good hydration. People have mentioned this to me a lot in longer races. I've noticed it makes a difference in my energy and I plan to remember that for my 10K even though November is not too warm here.

I'm impressed, you are starting strong! Good luck!

KimProbable
08-31-2008, 08:01 PM
Hey runners! I'm getting one last post in on this thread before the month ends. :D

So today I finally went for my first run since race day. I was encouraged by my clinic instructor to take 13 rest days (1 day for each mile) and though I'd originally planned to take 7-9 days off and do some light running after that, I got my butt kicked by a head cold and haven't felt up to running until today. I was actually planning on doing that Nike Human Race thingy this morning but I sat it out due to my gunky lungs and lack of recent running. (As a side note, DH ran it and kicked some butt. He came in at 57 minutes including a stop at the port-a-potty. Not bad for a new runner who hasn't been running in a couple of weeks!)

Anyhow, my run was nice. I went to the ravine that's abut 1K from here. I went down to the one end and did a little bit of hill work then came back part way and did 6 reps of the stairs. By the time I got to the tail end of my run I could really feel that my lungs weren't quite up to snuff as I had a hard time getting in enough air.

I was so happy to get back out, though. Between the taper week and the recovery weeks I haven't been for a run besides my race in 3 1/2 weeks and I was really missing it. I haven't been feeling much like a runner lately and I'm trying to sort out my training and goals now that I've finished my race.

Transformer08
08-31-2008, 08:47 PM
Hi. New (soon-to-be) runner here. :)

I've attempted becoming a runner a few times before, gone too hard/long too soon, injured myself and given up. This time I've been at it for about a month, running 3x a week, NO RUNNING 2 CONSECUTIVE DAYS, no more than 3 miles at a time, and so far no problems.

I run on the treadmill for various reasons, mostly allergy related but also because I have this fear of running too far and not being able to make it home. (weird, I know)

Anyways, today I went running out in the park. I ran sooo slowly for fear of not making it but nonetheless I DID IT! (So yes, I was that person "running" at the walking pace you saw this morning. :) )

go me!

KimProbable
08-31-2008, 09:56 PM
go me!

Go you indeed!!! :carrot:

Oh, and you're a runner RIGHT NOW! :D I look forward to hearing more from you in the September thread.