Weight Loss Support - August Will Not Be the Boss of Me

View Full Version : August Will Not Be the Boss of Me

srmb60
07-31-2008, 10:29 AM
I'm not letting another summer month go by in which I am buffeted and swayed by life. How about you?

In August I will ....

-make at least 10 gym visits for resistance exercises
-walk/jog/run/saunter 100 miles
-watch the junk food, there's always better choices
-water and green tea are better friends than diet coke

and I'd seriously be encouraged by a four pound loss.

beffie
07-31-2008, 10:33 AM
Sounds good to me! August will be my month to kick the DP habit!

Also, I'm going to stop eating when I FIRST feel the slightest bit FULL!! No more stuffing myself!:carrot:

srmb60
07-31-2008, 10:35 AM
Ok ... I'm old an slow ... what's DP?

Welcome:D

Ija
07-31-2008, 10:39 AM
I need to kick diet pop once and for all. I've been slowly weaning myself off of it, but I haven't managed to stop completely. Next week I also fly home for my break, so I need to be careful around all of my mom's Croatian cooking. I could quite literally eat my body weight in gulas and cevapi.

I also resolve to start running this month, and to finally make it to onederland after 15 years! This morning I weighed in at 201.0, so it should be soon!!!

Spoz
07-31-2008, 11:05 AM
-To drink more water
-To eat less between meals
-To up my workout intensity

I'm hoping I can lose 6-7 lb by the end of August, which I'm pretty sure I can do if I really stick to plan!

UrsusMaritimus
07-31-2008, 11:10 AM
I will NOT let August weather be the boss of me... We're in the middle of a record-breaking heat wave here in Colorado, which makes me want to skip my workouts (I usually exercise outside). I resolve to get up earlier in order to beat the head and stay on target!

Heffalump
07-31-2008, 11:26 AM
I shall *not* be defeated by my three week visit to ye olde homeland, in which I will have to brave my Mom's and aunt's delicious cooking, all the treats and restaurants I've been missing, the break in my routine, having no gym and limited command of the kitchen/fridge, attending two weddings and two birthday bashes, and probably copious amounts of BEER.

Usually my healthy life style goes out the window as soon as the plane touches down (and that's not counting the horrible airline food, haha). In the past I have gained astonishing and appalling amounts of weight at home. I have also been *a lot* more prone to binging when I'm there.

:mad: NO MORE!!! :mad:

I might not lose anything during August, but I sure as heck won't gain anything, either! Well, not a lot, anyway. Hehe. Uh. Yes.

:jig: YOU'RE NOT THE BOSS OF ME, AUGUST! BRING IT ON! :jig:

mountain mama
07-31-2008, 11:33 AM
August is the month when I will work on my self control, inner peace and get safely into the 270s with no looking back on the 280s! I will work hard and read lots and not let the stress of us immigration/marriage/paperwork/moving get the best of my moods! August will NOT be the boss of me!

srmb60
07-31-2008, 01:14 PM
I'm so proud of the lunch I've packed for work, I just have to post it somewhere!
Yesterday, I made tuna salad and egg salad with low fat mayo (left out some yolks too). For my veggies, I have cucumber, little yellow squash and green beans ... all out of my garden!

You do all pack your lunch, right?

blondebritbrat17
07-31-2008, 01:43 PM
DP is I'm assuming Dr. Pepper.. Sounds good for August though! Count me in on what all was said up above

Mrs Snark
07-31-2008, 03:03 PM
August is the month when I will work on my self control, inner peace and get safely into the 270s with no looking back on the 280s! I will work hard and read lots and not let the stress of us immigration/marriage/paperwork/moving get the best of my moods! August will NOT be the boss of me!

Can I just say how lovely and vibrant and just wonderful you look in your profile pic! I love it!

In August I will persevere. I will be optimistic. I will look for the joy in every day. And I will find time to add some gentle stretching to my days.

sh3l5
07-31-2008, 03:16 PM
In August I am going to ....

* workout at my HARDEST level everyday
* limit my junk food/bad food intake!
* move around more at weekends

For June and July I have lost 8lbs and 7.5lbs respectively....
in August i shall be pushing for another 8lb loss!....

full of grace
07-31-2008, 03:19 PM
In August, I resolve to reach ONEDERLAND!!!!!

:D

Woo!

suitejudyblueeyes
07-31-2008, 05:02 PM
August is mine! :D This is the month I hit the famed quarter-century mark. Whatever it means to be 25, I shall find out this month!

This month, in celebration of my body's sticking with me for this long, I am going to treat it kindly in the following ways:

-Drop below the BMI "obesity" line for the last time (below 191)!
-Continue making progress with my running!
-Continue phasing animal products out of my life!

:D

cornellchick
07-31-2008, 05:11 PM
I can't believe it's almost August already!! On my agenda this month...

- Return to school 20 pounds lighter than when I left.
- Keep it that way.
- Reach my first goal of 145 and see how I feel... then maybe keep going!!

:cheer3::cheer2::cheer3:

cakses
07-31-2008, 05:19 PM
I totally agree. August NEEDS to be my comeback month or I fear I am going to go by the waysides and give up!

I am joining the YMCA today that is right near my new house that we're moving to, so once school starts I will have a close gym to go to! I can't wait!!!

Until then I need to up my cardio to at least 3 times a week no more excuses!

Ufi
07-31-2008, 10:50 PM
OK, gulp. I guess this is it. My first public goals. In August, I will:

Lose 2 pounds

Exercise using my hand weights at least once a week

Make time to sit and just feel my feelings, without doing anything else, for at least five minutes every day

mountain mama
07-31-2008, 11:03 PM
Can I just say how lovely and vibrant and just wonderful you look in your profile pic! I love it!

WHy thank you sweetie! Can I also take this moment to tell how I LOVE your hair colour! AND IM SOOOO EXCITED FOR YOU! YOU are so close to your goal!! WHOOOT!!!!

vixjean
07-31-2008, 11:06 PM
I am going to kick August in the butt too! Lots of visits to the gym and home workouts as well! Mainly, I want to start weight training again!

JayEll
08-01-2008, 07:13 AM
Count me in, SusanB! I'm going to get to 145 or lower in August! I'm sticking to plan! :drill: Yessss! :cb:

Jay

Iconised Ghost
08-02-2008, 03:03 AM
In August my calories are going to be in the right range, i will exercise when i plan to (no excuses!) and i will drink plenty of water

As a commitment phob commiting to a whole month is a bit scary. One day at a time i guess

And i'll make my lunch the night before so its healthy and im not starving!

srmb60
08-02-2008, 05:32 AM
I did not get my lunch ready last night! I'm not sure why. I feel like I was cooking all day. So at least I have stuff to pack easily this morning.

Stay strong for the weekend folks!

kestrel
08-02-2008, 04:16 PM
I'm just starting to visit 3FC again after a pregnancy break. Babe isn't quite 2 weeks old yet, but I can go ahead and start getting ready to lose again. :D

In August I will:

- curb my soda habit
- get in the habit of keeping healthy snacks ready for me to grab
- in another week or two, go ahead and start some walking on the treadmill, getting ready to start working out again around 5-6 weeks post-partum

Iconised Ghost
08-02-2008, 04:26 PM
aww congrats kestrek!

srmb60
08-04-2008, 07:56 AM
A new baby! How nice!

Good morning! Well, how'd the weekend go?

My eating was not clean but I didn't over eat.
I walked alot but haven't been to the gym yet. It's closed today for the holiday so I'll do something here instead.
I kinda forgot about the green tea thing. I should make some for today.

So I guess, in a forgetful way ... I'm doing all right so far in August.

WebRover
08-04-2008, 09:13 PM
I'll work on drinking water in August. :coffee: (Today, not so good. I'm going to fill up my glass right now)
And eating on plan. (Just coming off vacation :^: )

SusanB Yes I pack my lunch almost every day. Your good lunch from the 31st sounded really good, especially the vegetables from your garden. :hun: I really think packing your lunch and eating most meals "in" is what it takes for healthy eating.

srmb60
08-05-2008, 05:29 AM
I must pack my lunch then. I should have done it last night. I'm yawning and stretching ... you wouldn't think I'd just had two days off ;)

WebRover
08-05-2008, 10:50 PM
You're right. Actually I should have said I pack my lunch "every night" because my lunches are so much better and less stressful when they're packed while I'm cleaning up from dinner.

Water, forgot all about it til I saw this thread again tonight. Just drank a big glass. I'll drink another before I go to bed. :D

I did eat on plan today.

srmb60
08-06-2008, 05:26 AM
I did all right yesterday too.

My hands were full after I'd been to the post office so I had to walk home and then to the grocer. Extra kilometers!

nakedmango
08-06-2008, 09:09 PM
I'm in! GREAT idea. :carrot:

Goals for August:

--Go to yoga 4 more times, and bike to the studio ETA: One down, 3 to go!
--Kick my daily coffee habit: only once during the workweek, and one cup a day on weekends. Otherwise, tea!
--Exercise, at least something, every day
--Do HIIT at least once a week (running or rowing) ETA: Week 1 done, with a bonus one for good measure!
--No more chips--I have no control with them. Nothing else is off limits!

May post more as I think of them. And will hopefully post with progress! :D

August, that pain you feel is me kicking your butt!! :cheer:

srmb60
08-07-2008, 04:09 PM
I'm still doing well food-wise but haven't been to the gym yet ... at all this month. However I have been walking errands everyday which is actually very nice.
Tonight I'm going to the farmers market to see what lovely local vegetables I can find. I'd like some new potatoes.

Mrs Snark
08-07-2008, 04:15 PM
I am doing great, except for the stretching goal. Still no stretching <sigh>. I did google "stretching routines" however, so I'm getting closer to actually doing it, lol.

srmb60
08-07-2008, 04:21 PM
Does looking it up on the internet count????

By now I should be slim, muscular, well-read, a pro knitter, an excellent scrapbooker ..... ;)

Hi Josephine ... go stretch!

Mrs Snark
08-07-2008, 04:57 PM
Yes ma'am!

Mrs Snark
08-07-2008, 05:31 PM
Yay, I stretched! It's not even like it takes that much time, it is just that one thing that I keep not getting done!

I also put a stretching book from the library on hold and I'm going to seriously commit to myself to stretch every day after my exercise. I just need to tag it on to the end of whatever I'm doing.

I may even stretch again tonight since I'm going biking later. :)

You've created a monster, Susan.

srmb60
08-07-2008, 05:32 PM
What a picture! The stretchy monster.

srmb60
08-07-2008, 06:55 PM
You inspired me Josephine. I went and did some legs and I walked to the market.

BTW ... I got my potatoes and some lovely little plums.

nakedmango
08-07-2008, 09:37 PM
Well I sure kicked August 7th's butt! I didn't think I was actually exercising too much today but now I'm tired. (It's the HIIT on the rowing machine--killer!) It is bedtime anyway, but I bet I won't read two pages before I turn off the light. August 7, you are DONE! :carrot:

cornellchick
08-08-2008, 12:24 PM
Yesterday was ridiculously awesome! I went out with a friend for sushi and then Ben & Jerry's, and yet scale shows a .4 lb LOSS this morning. :devil:

How I did it:
- Usual 35 minutes on the bike after work
- 8 pieces philadelphia roll
- 3 pieces gyoza
- Kid-size berry sorbet

Delicious and satisfying, and the scale didn't disapprove. :p

Mrs Snark
08-08-2008, 01:00 PM
I stretched again last night, and I stretched after running this morning! Yay! Finally, I'm doing it, lol. Such a silly thing to have kept putting off, really!

Keep up the good work everyone!

srmb60
08-08-2008, 03:48 PM
I am going to the gym tonight, really.

AmberShimmer
08-08-2008, 05:12 PM
I really like this thread and all the posts. It's very motivating.

I've decided to cut fast food out completely. It's already August and I have had some fast food. But I'm hoping that by the end of August, I'll have cut it out completely, and will continue to do so until I know when I can have it occasionally, choosing the healthiest item I can find, and knowing when to stop at that.

Also, try to drink at least 64 oz of water. I'm really bad at this one. I can drink a little as only 8 oz and be fine with it all day. Maybe it'll curb my cravings.

srmb60
08-10-2008, 08:04 AM
It seems far too easy to nibble unhealthy foods this weekend. My weight is steady but .... It won't stay that way if I keep doing this on the weekends.

srmb60
08-11-2008, 05:32 AM
And I was no better yesterday.

I did some walking and I'll have to add it to my ticker.

Spoz
08-11-2008, 06:49 AM
Oh Susan I hear ya. I've been picking up the odd dried apricot her...the odd strawberry here and I completely forget even though they're tinsy healthy things they all add up. Seems today I just dont want to stop eating!

srmb60
08-13-2008, 08:29 AM
I wish I had just picked at strawberries ;)

It's a beautiful day for a walk. And I still haven't fixed my ticker. It's looking scarily short!

Mrs Snark
08-13-2008, 08:34 AM
I've got the stretching thing down, yay.

But strength training is falling by the wayside. It's hard, when all I really want to do is run.

srmb60
08-13-2008, 10:27 AM
There! I've been to the gym. And added just short of 6 km to my ticker. Finally a decent amount.

midwife
08-13-2008, 10:48 AM
Psstt....Jo.....strength training will make you a better runner....shhhhh.....plus your arms will totally rock it in running shirts. :)

srmb60
08-14-2008, 07:59 AM
I'd like rockin' arms :D

On a roll .... I'm going to the gym again this morning.

I happened upon a couple of pictures yesterday. I'm learning how to scrapbook. I found a couple from our daughters wedding in 2006. As I recall, I weighed around 130-ish and those were pretty sturdy arms!
I also have a pic of me, much thinner, with some back definition.

Maybe I should wrap that picture around the peanutbutter jar;)

srmb60
08-14-2008, 10:39 AM
Almost 9 km today and a little upper body work.

Feels good!

Mrs Snark
08-14-2008, 04:49 PM
Psstt....Jo.....strength training will make you a better runner....shhhhh.....plus your arms will totally rock it in running shirts. :)

Oye. I keep telling myself this, but I'm giving no love to my little home gym setup. Gah!

nakedmango
08-14-2008, 08:49 PM
Maybe I should wrap that picture around the peanutbutter jar;)

I should post a pic of myself on the menu board of the take-out place that's 5 feet from the door to my office building. :devil:

ctrsara
08-14-2008, 09:39 PM
lol nakedmango!

In the rest of August (it's already half over)

-I will drop from "obese" to merely "overweight" on the bmi scale (like 1.5 lbs to go!)
-I will count my WW points all day every day, even if I'm going scarily over! (if I stop counting I binge big-time)
-I will get in some kind of exercise at least 5 days a week
-I will not over-eat on my DH's birthday next Saturday

cakses
08-15-2008, 12:57 AM
August got a rough start, but I am whooping its butt now. 4 days OP and doing great. Focusing on day to day now before I get lofty goals. Once I have my routine down though in the next week or two, I will start giving myself goals for each week.

srmb60
08-15-2008, 08:10 AM
I'm not sure why but sometimes we have to tackle one day at a time ... one meal at a time. I did yesterday.

Eat something good and plan stringently for something good to eat in a few hours.

But it does feel good to have a day or two under your belt. Bolsters you.

Have you all been reading BillyG's thread? Some amazing insights.

srmb60
08-15-2008, 10:47 AM
A little over 6 kms at the gym today but without much oomph. I thought my muzzy morning headache was gone until I started to get my heart rate up.

However ... I am excited now because my Oxygen magazine came in the mail. It's the first from my subscription. I should be full of wonderful ideas in an hour or so ;)

WebRover
08-16-2008, 06:08 AM
argghh

How hard can it be to remember to drink water and to eat ON PLAN.

Guess it must be hard. If it were easy I'd have gotten to goal AGES AGO.

So, this weekend I will drink water. It is easier when I am home to do it. So I will.

I will eat on plan!!! Two people at work are starting SB Monday, so I will have have to stay On Plan or I'll be a bad influence. And I don't want to be a bad influence.

Going for water now.....:)

SusanB sounds like you're doing great on your exercise! Congrats.

srmb60
08-18-2008, 11:32 AM
Over 9.5 Km today. But I'm draggin'. I ate sooo badly over the weekend. Not necessarily too much but junk!

I should stop and have a look at what I said I'd do this month. I wonder if I'm even close. Those miles are slow to stack up ;)

suitejudyblueeyes
08-18-2008, 12:08 PM
Hey! I've already met one of my goals for August, which was to drop below the 191 mark. I am now officially "overweight," obese no longer! :p My 3rd goal is progressing well also.

Gotta work on that running, though. I've been letting myself get distracted from it. Too many pots simmering at once!

srmb60
08-19-2008, 12:12 PM
Good work Jaime!

I guess I'm doing all right after all. Less junk and less diet coke for sure. The miles are adding up slowly and I have been doing cardio instead of resistance. A mixed bag of better than usual but not really what I had planned ;)

WebRover
09-01-2008, 05:15 PM
I had just two simple things on the list for August.

Water
Eating OP

Didn't do so well. So I'm focusing on the same things for September.
And I'm adding exercise.

Looks like we may have all fallen off for the second half of August.
OR everyone else did great and just fell off posting.

I've started a new thread for September:

Let's Own September (http://3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2342959#post2342959)