Old 07-30-2008, 07:10 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 192/190/145

Height: 5'7"

Default Need help staying motivated

I really, really don't like counting calories, although I of course need to. I am not in front of the computer most of the day and am having a hard time finding a system of tracking food/calories/exercise that is easy enough that I continue to do it. I start the day fine but usually by the end of the day, I give up. Any advice?
waterski chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 07:58 AM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey! Perhaps you'd do better following a program with a set food plan every day, like Weight Watchers Core, or some other program with a set menu.

Another idea is that you plan out your whole day in advance using your tracking system, and then you just follow your plan. I did this when I was having a hard time sticking with it. Then the only things I had to enter later were changes.

Some folks get their whole week set up this way. That's more planning than I want to do in advance, but it works for them.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 08:12 AM   #3  
Burning it away

Height: 5'2

Don't you get nutritional info on the food you buy? if not there should be some sort of book or magazine available to you with basic calorie counts and brand calories.
Spoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 08:25 AM   #4  

I love counting calories, even if I do poorly that day. I keep my diary with me and jot down as I go. If I eat out (which I am doing less and less of) I have the luxury of checking calories on my phone. I doubt I would keep with it an entire day if I didn't enjoy it, which isn't much of an answer, other than don't beat yourself up. I couldn't excercise or change my eating habits or do much of anything healthy until I was ready to, and I can't tell you why I'm finally ready.
cdiem4994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:09 AM   #5  
Go Cubs Go!

S/C/G: Too/Effing/Much!

Height: 5' 7"

You don't have to use a computer calorie tracking program, if you don't want to. Many of us, myself included, use a handwritten food journal. A simple notebook will do the trick, quite nicely. If you want something special, just for that purpose, you can buy pretty journals and notebooks and portfolios and so forth. Personally, I think that one's food journal should be in something special to each individual.

Motivation can be a toughie. And, at first it is really hard. One thing that is very helpful to me is to decide that I am going to stay on plan just through this particular day. Or, if I am feeling especially fragile, just through the next meal. I don't force myself to look too far ahead. For instance, I have a little trick... I don't date my food journal for the next day. I know it sounds silly, but it helps take the pressure off and keeps me feeling calm. I don't feel pressured to do it, the next day. I just decide, that day, to continue.

Remember, this is a marathon, not a sprint. And you will have good days and not so good days. Be kind to yourself, determine that you are worth this and that you will keep going, in as big or little blocks as you can. Once you get through a full day, it gets a tiny bit easier to get through the next. And, when you can't, don't beat yourself up. Just resolve to get back on your plan the next meal or the next day. The more you get back on track, the easier it becomes, over time, to stay there, longer and longer.

This is not about perfection. It is about slowly changing lifelong habits, relearning how to eat, live and take the best care of ourselves. We deserve it. You deserve it.

I HTH a little.
Rain Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote