Exercise! - ☼╟░░Get Fit at Home Thread░░╢☼

streudel423
07-29-2008, 05:15 PM
Welcome!

This is a new thread designed for those who get fit in the comfort of their own home or outdoors without the use of a gym. We believe that it is possible to get fit and stay fit at home. Perhaps you use exercise DVDs, a treadmill, an elliptical, other equipment, or a combination of these items.

The primary purpose of this thread is accountability and workout variety discussions.

Please feel free to post your daily workout accomplishments here.

We also discuss ideas for mixing up your workout routine at home with the use of new exercise DVDs, equipment, etc. Feel free to write reviews or ask questions about fitness DVDs or at-home fitness equipment.

Donít forget to check out collagevideo.com where you can preview exercise videos before purchasing!

Have a great, fit day!

streudel423
07-29-2008, 05:16 PM
Hi!

I have been an at-home exerciser for about 10 years. I was a member of a gym for about four months last year, but transportation to and from the gym took nearly 45 minutes. Now that I workout at home, I'm more dedicated again and have more time to exercise each day. It's great to get up in the morning and head straight upstairs for a great workout!

I use a combination of exercise dvds, the treadmill and elliptical. My favorite videos are Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds videos. I own nearly 20 of her workouts! I also enjoy step aerobics videos. For toning, I use Denise Austin's Get Fit Fast, Hit the Spot Pilates, and Yoga Body Burn (all only 10 minute workouts, which is very convenient).

This morning, I did a 2 mile WATP video and 15 minutes on the elliptical. This evening, I'll do another 15 minutes of walking.

Hope everyone has a great evening, and I hope we can support each other here each day!

walking2lose
08-06-2008, 06:54 PM
Hi there,

I'm 40 and most of my life have been either an athlete or at least very active. I played sports through college, then took up cycling and rode a lot, doing a good bit of mountain biking and long road rides, including centuries. In my early 30s I had some health issues and, while I continued some cycling, the intensity and distance dropped dramatically.

The last few years I've been doing a lot of walking (I have a workout buddy and we like to walk FAST for an hour a few times per week), and I still do a bit of this and that (tennis, biking, etc.).

But recently (the last year maybe), I've really enjoyed doing workout dvds at home. It's such a time saver - I enjoy the privacy my home affords, and I have enough dvds now that I get a real variety. And I really enjoy the option of doing the dvds when it's either really hot or really cold (or raining) outside.

Yesterday my husband and I did Yoga Zones Stress Relief and Flexiblity (about 1 hour). I could never get him to a yoga class, but he actually enjoys doing it at home!

Today I did Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred -- Level 1 and Level 2 back to back. I thought I was going to die! It was pretty killer, but I do want to build up to Level 3.

So yes, I would say I'm now a home exerciser. In fact I put a "freeze" on my gym membership just this week.

Streudel - I'm jealous that you have your own elliptical - I'd love to have some equipment (besides my dumb bells and yoga mat)!

Shannon in ATL
08-07-2008, 04:42 PM
I am a reasonably new at-home exerciser... I have an elliptical trainer, a recumbent bike, a few small weights, a yoga mat, and DH just ordered a Weider Max home strength training system. I also use on demand exercise videos from exercise tv pretty frequently.

Lately I've been doing a 10 minute yoga warm up, either "Pilates for Abs" or "Abs & Back Workout" on demand and then 45 minutes on the elliptical with varying incline and resistance. I don't use the bike as often, but when I do it is usually 35 minutes - DH uses it more than me.

I need to mix things up a little - I know that i'm missing target groups and focusing too much on cardio, but I'm seeing some great fat burning result and have lost inches, so I'm afraid to change what is working! :-)

Exercise TV has a "Walk at Home" program and list Leslie Sansone as the trainer. Wonder if it is the same one you have? There are a lot of different episodes of it and it looks pretty cool.

Any suggestions for me on things to do?

OnceUponADrive
08-07-2008, 04:58 PM
I became an at-home exerciser last year after I moved and got a new job that had me driving a lot farther. That extra 20 minutes a day driving to the gym was just too much. I have tried early morning exercise but it hasn't been working for me. I typically exercise IMMEDIATELY after I get home from work at 6:30.

I have no elliptical or treadmill, although I'd really love to have one. Our house is VERY small and there's just no room. Even the living room where I do my workout videos is pretty cramped and there's a lot I can't manage in that space.

I was going strong with Jillian Michael's 30 day Shred, and I've also gone through stages with Hip Hop Abs and Turbo Jam. I also try to walk at least 4 days a week for a half hour or more. I recently had something removed from my foot that caused me not to be able to wear sneakers or workout for awhile, so I'm just getting back into my routine. It's SO hard after missing a couple of weeks. This week I've just started Callanetics and I'm excited to see how it works. I also am walking more frequently for cardio.

I am definitely better at gym workouts and find it hard to keep myself motivated at home. A new gym close to me will be opening up in December (supposedly) and I can't wait to get back into that routine.

Amany
08-10-2008, 12:04 AM
Hi there.

I would like to join your thread. :wave:

I workout at home and outside. I try to get in some stretching and toning at least four mornings a week. Pilates, yoga or Callanetics. Four - five evenings I either walk outdoors or use one of my Leslie Sansone dvds.

OnceUponaDrive, I did Callanetics for the first time in about 2 years yesterday. Afterwards my abdominal muscles burned. Today my thigh muscles burned. It was from Callan kicking my behind! When I did it a couple of years ago, it was only for about two weeks. I liked the results though. I felt stronger, straighter and more "drawn in".

Shannon, I say definitely keep doing what works! You'll probably end up throwing in some other types of exercise eventually anyway. Just to keep from getting bored.

Walking, you're so lucky to have a workout buddy. I would love one. Until then, I will keep going it alone.

Streudel, I'd love more of Leslie's dvds. She used to have a walk and yoga, but I don't think it's sold anymore.

angeleyezx
08-10-2008, 07:18 AM
Hiya, I've just started this exercising at home lark.,
Today I did Billy Blanks Bootcamp vid and jogged a small length.
Im hoping to build on that. together it took 1hr and 15mins.
I rly hope this works!

pufffin
08-10-2008, 07:49 AM
I have an exercise bike, a rowing machine and a step. My favourite exercise, if I have enough time, is to drive to the beach (20mins) and jog/walk on the damp sand. I live at the bottom of a steep hill and that should provide plenty of opportunity for getting puffed - but it is a narrow coutry road that the cars whiz up and down and there is no pavement - too dangerous on busy days.
Today I'm going to do a mini circuit on my equipment at home!

walking2lose
08-10-2008, 10:54 AM
Hi girls!

Streudel - Thanks so much for starting this thread - seems there are quite a few of us working out at home instead of the gym!

My recent workouts:

Friday -- :yoga: yoga in morning --45 min. Yoga Zone dvd with DH (it is a miracle that he is enjoying doing yoga with me), and Level 1 and Level 2 of 30 Day Shred. Can I just say I thought I was going to keel over during this???

Saturday -- 90 minute bike ride on road and fire trail. Beautiful day! :bike2:

Today -- Plan is to walk in neighborhood alone with ipod (walking partner still out of town) and later on (after house cleaning) either Pilates dvd with resistance bands or Level 2 again (depends on my energy level)

Shannon - your home gym sounds pretty awesome! Do you have a room devoted to all your work out equipment? Currently I'm working out in our office (I have no large equipment, just my yoga mat!), but I would LOOOVE to have an exercise room. It sounds to be like you have a good routine going, and you say it's working; I would stick with what you're doing, until you get bored.

Once - I've been doing 30 Day Shred too -- It is BRUTAL! I have done Level 2 about 3x now and finally decided to just watch Level 3. Good gosh... I'm wondering if I'll be able to make it through that... what do you think??

Hi Amany! Yes, I am lucky to have a work out buddy - she's been out of town for over a week, and I have been doing lots at home. She and I are supposed to walk again this week. Sounds like you are doing great with your plan!

Angel - Lots of people seem to love the Billy Blanks - I've heard it's a killer workout. Do you have any other dvds? I really like the Jillian Michaels if you're looking for a very basic, quick, but very tough workout.

Puffin - What equipment do you have? And, where do you live??? Sounds gorgeous with hilly country roads and the beach so close by - wow! Too bad about the danged cars though.

I think this thread is going to keep me accountable with exercise. It's all good now, but I teach, and when school starts in 3 weeks I lose a lot of steam. I am going to try hard to continue my workouts and post them here!

Have a great day, girls!

pufffin
08-10-2008, 11:04 AM
Puffin[/B] - What equipment do you have? And, where do you live??? Sounds gorgeous with hilly country roads and the beach so close by - wow! Too bad about the danged cars though.

I have an exercise bike, rowing machine and a step. Just tried to do a workout and the bike is not working AAAAARRRGGGGHHHH!!!!! The pedals just whiz round with no resistance and no mileage appears on the screen. Now I am in a thoroughly bad temper and endangering today's food control by munching a handful of almonds for comfort. I live in Scotland by the way.

I'm off to kick the bike....:tantrum:

walking2lose
08-10-2008, 11:09 AM
I have an exercise bike, rowing machine and a step. Just tried to do a workout and the bike is not working AAAAARRRGGGGHHHH!!!!! The pedals just whiz round with no resistance and no mileage appears on the screen. Now I am in a thoroughly bad temper and endangering today's food control by munching a handful of almonds for comfort. I live in Scotland by the way.

I'm off to kick the bike....:tantrum:

Ah... Scotland! How wonderful! So sorry about your bike - that stinks! I wouldn't have the first clue as to how to fix it. Maybe you could do your beach run today instead?? Resist those almonds! I've hidden mine in back of fridge because I kept getting into them...

pufffin
08-10-2008, 11:21 AM
Ah... Scotland! How wonderful! So sorry about your bike - that stinks! I wouldn't have the first clue as to how to fix it. Maybe you could do your beach run today instead?? Resist those almonds! I've hidden mine in back of fridge because I kept getting into them...

It's bucketing out there! :D

walking2lose
08-10-2008, 11:26 AM
It's bucketing out there! :D

Any dvds?? :D

pufffin
08-10-2008, 11:56 AM
Any dvds?? :D

Claire - I am in a very bad mood. You seem determined to snap me out of it:D. Yes I do have DVD's but I am too cross to do them. However...the sun is coming out!:carrot:

walking2lose
08-10-2008, 12:04 PM
Claire - I am in a very bad mood. You seem determined to snap me out of it:D. Yes I do have DVD's but I am too cross to do them. However...the sun is coming out!:carrot:

Ha, ha! I have lots of good practice snapping my husband out of his moods. Yay for sun. I am now lacing up to go on my "wog" (walk/jog). Need to get off the danged computer and move...

We can both report back later what we did... Ok, now I'm getting darn right pushy :D

pufffin
08-10-2008, 03:11 PM
Thanks Claire! I went to the beach on the way to the supermarket and earned some very useful calories! I wouldn't have gone without your prodding!

walking2lose
08-10-2008, 04:26 PM
Yay! I did a 45 min walk and may do my dvd yet ... :carrot:

Amany
08-10-2008, 11:44 PM
Puff and Walking - You guys are too funny! :) I'm glad to hear you both got your exercise in.

Yesterday I walked a mile outside. It got dark, so I came back in and walked three more miles with Leslie Sansone. I didn't get any cardio done today, but I completely my Callanetics 10/10 dvd.

pufffin
08-11-2008, 01:43 AM
Hurrah for Claire and Amanda!!!!!

angeleyezx
08-11-2008, 01:39 PM
Angel - Lots of people seem to love the Billy Blanks - I've heard it's a killer workout. Do you have any other dvds? I really like the Jillian Michaels if you're looking for a very basic, quick, but very tough workout.

Hiya!
tbh I used his abs boot camp from youtube, and found a taebo one for this mornin, and after 30mins the laptop run out of battery so I went for a little jog.
I didnt wanna waste money on dvds that Im not going to use, but I can see me using the billy blanks ones, so now Im considering getting a couple off of ebay to mix it up a little.

I'll have a look for Jillian Michaels, cheers :)

Shannon in ATL
08-11-2008, 03:12 PM
Walking2Lose - I do have a room that is for mostly exercise equipment. DH also has a stereo set up with his turntable so he uses it for a music room when I'm not exercising. The elliptical and the bike are in there, tv and yoga/exercise mats, good floor space. The Weider is going to be set up in the garage, and I actually have a currently unused punching bag I'm thinking about putting in the garage with it or scooting into a corner in the guest room.

We just bought a new house, well, a year ago, so not too new, and I have more space than I really need so I set some up for exercise before other parts of life took over!

I'm not finding myself bored yet, but I'm cataloging things I see other people doing just in case! I switched from elliptical to bike this weekend to change it up a little and that was fun. I figure a few more weeks of heavy cardio before I look at switching things around. I'm in my third month of consistent exercise, so still a beginner really! :)

walking2lose
08-12-2008, 08:39 AM
Walking2Lose - I do have a room that is for mostly exercise equipment. DH also has a stereo set up with his turntable so he uses it for a music room when I'm not exercising. The elliptical and the bike are in there, tv and yoga/exercise mats, good floor space. The Weider is going to be set up in the garage, and I actually have a currently unused punching bag I'm thinking about putting in the garage with it or scooting into a corner in the guest room.

:)

Wow... that sounds so awesome, Shannon!! :ebike:

Morning girls!

Yesterday I did a very brisk (but short) walk with my folks' dog. I went over to can tomatoes and had a little downtime. I think it was 35 min or so. I also take a Pilates class on Monday evenings. It's a 10 week class, and I really enjoying it. It's the only "organized" working out I do.

Have a happy and healthy day girls! :carrot: I'll report back with what I did later on (not sure yet).

Shannon in ATL
08-12-2008, 01:06 PM
I did 45 minutes on the elliptical yesterday, the same Ab/Back core workout. Today I'm feeling a little rundown (head cold or sinus infection I believe...) so I did a Pilates Ab video and 30 minutes on the exercise bike... DH has to work late, so I'll likely do more when I get home... I'll let you guys know... :)

Hope everyone has a great day!

walking2lose
08-12-2008, 01:12 PM
Shannon - good job getting a work out in, even though you feel worn out. Maybe you shouldn't try to do anything else - rest some so you can feel better tomorrow.

I am actually feeling run down today too, and I don't think I'll be able to do much cardio. I coach field hockey, so I do run around a lot for 3 hours in the mornings with them, but now I'm pooped. I think I've been staying up too late watching the Olympics!

pufffin
08-13-2008, 01:35 AM
Well done with the commitment everyone! Hope you feel better today Claire. It's odd how some days you just feel like that. Yesterday was a beach day and I did my jogging which made me feel good. I'm on early shift this morning so I may not get anything done today - I always feel whacked when I get home after an early.
Have a good day everyone!

Shannon in ATL
08-13-2008, 11:54 AM
Today was one of those days where I turned my clock off when it went off, then actually reset it for later and rolled back over - forget that elliptical trainer, who needs it! I couldn't fall back asleep, just kept thinking about how I was supposed to be exercising...

So I got up! :carrot: 10 minute yoga video, 45 minutes on the elliptical at mostly 85% heart rate... Yay! And, I actually feel a lot better than I did yesterday!

Puffin, what is an early shift for you? I used to work 5a-2p and always had a hard time working out after those, too... There was no way I was doing anything other than shower and coffee before one, either!

guynna
08-13-2008, 12:15 PM
hi all -- I just did "beginner callanetics" for the second time; it's only a 30 minute tape, but it is kicking my butt. It really feels like a workout, but I don't HURT. It kinda feels...good. I can't get over how demanding it is, though, to get in position and make these little tiny movements. I'm totally humbled -- guess I'm not as strong as I thought!! I'm also lifting weights for upper body, and I do other stretching, but this might be my new favorite thing to do at home.

I'll be reading for cardio recommendations too -- I have some joint injuries (knees, one ankle), so I'd prefer low impact. Thanks! Hope you all are having a great day,
anita

Amany
08-13-2008, 04:58 PM
Hi Angel - I know what you mean about wasting $$ on videos. I have a lot of them, but I probably only use 8 of them. Four of them get a lot of use.

Shannon - Three months of exercise is pretty major in my book. i used to be really good about it (many, many, many) years ago. Over the past ten years the most I've done it consistently has probably been about 2 months. I have to improve. Congrats on getting up and doing your yoga by the way.

Walking - I know what you mean about feeling pooped. I had to make myself exercise yesterday and the day before. The only thing that motivated me is that I've set mini goals. Ultimately I have another 56 pounds to lose, but being 8 pounds from my first mini goal helped motivate me.

Puffin - You're the best cheerleader! :cheer3::cheer2: I admire you for jogging. I've been wanting to get started, but I've had a problem well... getting started. lol I had started loosely following the Couch to 5k program in early spring, but then I got sick and fell off track.

Hi Guynn - Yes Callanetics will kick you in the rear and have you begging for mercy. lol Last night I did Cardio Callanetics for the first time. The cardio part is these yoga / ballet inspired moves. The second part is the updated version of callanetics. Good grief! I had to take Advil last night after working my muscles like that. My back felt great though. This morning, my muscles just felt completely relaxed. Maybe too relaxed. lol I guess it will just take time.
For low impact cardio, I love Leslie Sansones Walking dvds. She's great. Her movements are not complicated and the workouts are solid.

Well, as I mentioned, I did the Cardio Callanetics last night. The night before I did one of Leslie Sansone's Four Mile dvd. It's kind of old. The people in the video have really big hair and everyone is wearing neon colors. lol Great workout though!

Amany
08-15-2008, 12:28 AM
Well tonight I walked roughly four miles through my neighborhood. I was using my 2 pound dumbbells. The last 3 or so times I walked with them, they didn't give me much of a challenge. In fact, it's as if they weren't there. I need to increase, but to what? Three pounds? Or should I just jump to four?

It's been kind of quiet. I hope you're all hanging in there and doing ok.

guynna
08-15-2008, 03:02 AM
I've never used dumbbells while walking (tho I do lift); I'd be kinda worried that I might get into swinging my arms or something and hurt myself with the momentum, you know? But maybe that's a faux worry : o I really don't know. Sounds like you had a great exercise day!
anita

Amany
08-15-2008, 07:29 AM
Hi Anita.

Your concern is valid. I have to be careful to hold the dumbbells properly and not swing them. Elbows bent, arms at 90 degrees, not gripping they dumbbells too tight so they can work my biceps.... lol I've seen women holding them by their tops and just kind of swinging them. I always think, "Her back is going to hurt later. If not already.".

Yeah, it was definitely a good day. Although I appreciate working out at home, I enjoy the outdoors too.

walking2lose
08-15-2008, 08:20 AM
Amanda - sounds like you are kicking butt this week!

My week has been, unfortunately, slack. After Monday's walk and Pilates class, I have done no real work out. I'm coaching hockey, and we have 2 a day practices right now. I've been super busy in between the practices, extra meetings, and other life obligations. It has me pretty exhausted this week, although I know that's not a good excuse.

On a positive note, I know I am burning calories just being out at hockey for so many hours - I run around to move cones, I do push ups with the girls, etc. And eating has been ok.

But I MUST do a dvd or bike ride today and next week... gotta do better!

Happy Friday, Ladies!

Shannon in ATL
08-15-2008, 03:58 PM
Good job Amanda! You are on it!

Well, I did exercise yesterday, just didn't post it - Ab workout, short yoga video, 45 minutes on the elliptical... Today, not so good... I really didn't sleep well last night - was still tossing and turning, wide awake at 1:45, woke up several times after that, finally fell asleep around 3, alarm went off at 6:45 and there was no way I was getting up and exercising...

On the plus side, I did weigh myself and am down 1.8 pounds from last official weigh in two weeks ago... Yay! 130.4!

We have my stepson (3 years old and all boy) this weekend, so I figure that I'll get a decent amount of activity in chasing him around, plus it is always easier to get up and exercise when he wakes us up at 5:00 am - he doesn't have a snooze button! :)

Have a good weekend everyone!

nancylmrn
08-15-2008, 04:25 PM
I just purchased a used stepper and plan to start tonight; I also use DVD's my favorites so far have been "the firm" as I have a small step and weights I use.
But I have to say for me it has been a struggle to get back into a routine; how do you all stay motivated?

Shannon in ATL
08-15-2008, 04:48 PM
Hi nancylmrn -

My exercise room is at the top of the stairs that go downstairs, so I have to look at it every time I go up and downstairs... That helps me a little with the motivation because when I see the equipment sitting there I think about how much money I've spent on it and how I need to get something back! :)

Visual cues are good for me - my exercise clothes are hanging on the rocking chair in my bedroom rather than in the closet, so I see them when I wake up, the exercise room door wide open at the top of the stairs, that kind of thing.. I also need structure, so I make an effort to work out at about the same time everyday, following the same patterns, even on weekends.

More than anything else I'm motivated by the way the exercise makes me feel. I didn't do anything this morning because I was tired and I've felt worn out and out of sorts all day, more so than I have in the past with just a sleepless night.

Talking about it here and reporting what I'm doing has also helped with the accountability!

Good luck!

Amany
08-15-2008, 04:48 PM
Thanks so much for the kind words and encouragement. :hug:

Walking, I'd imagine you're burning tons of calories coaching hockey. lol Besides, you've been staying on the ball with the eating, so that's good.

Shannon, Congrats on the loss. :cheer3: I hate nights like those. When it happens to me, I don't exercise the next morning either. You'll get tons of it with a three year old around though.

Hi Nancy :wave: Lately I've been motivating myself by setting mini goals. Currently I weigh 216. My goal is 160, so I have 56 pounds to lose. Here are my mini goals:

Eight pounds - I'll be the weight I was when I met my husband.

Thirteen more pounds - Ill be the weight I was when I still felt reasonably attractive.

Fifteen more pounds - I'll be the weight I was when I really liked the way I looked.

Twenty more pounds - I'll be close to my ideal weight.

That's how I've been staying on the ball lately. Eight pounds seems at more doable than fifty-six!

At first, I was motivated just because I wanted to feel better about myself. I wasn't sleeping well, I didn't feel pretty and I was scared to death of ending up with diabetes. Diabetes runs rampant in my family.

Another thing that helps me is, during the week, I eat Lean Cuisine, Smart Ones (by WW) or something like that for lunch and dinner. I have it with a baked potato, salad, piece of fruit or a vegetable. For breakfast I might have scrambled eggs and toast. Or fruit and almonds. Eating that way just makes it easier for me and I get some variety. On the weekends, I'll make a huge salad with some type of meat in it and tons of different veggies. I'll eat that all weekend. Or some type of stir fry. Ironically, eating that way has made me less obsessed with food. I just don't care about it the way I used to. There's probably some sort of psychology that goes along with that, but someone else will have to come along and make an analysis. All I know is that it's working for me. :D

walking2lose
08-16-2008, 10:22 AM
Amanda- Love the mini goals you've set for yourself! It's amazing how sitting down and putting the goals in writing provides GREAT motivation! I need to update my sig with correct weight and new goals... will do that this weekend.

I just this week decided to stop counting calories for a while and focus on whole foods and moderation. I have been SUPER busy and rather stressed the last couple weeks, and I have been failing to log my calories in dailyplate. I will log half a day, then by evening, I'm so exhausted I often am too tired/lazy/forgetful to log dinner and evening snack. Then I was beating myself up a bit for not being better with this.

My mom gave me this heavy duty awesome juicer last week - an Acme Juicenator - that belonged to my great aunt who is 101. She went into a nursing home in early July (she's quite the inspiration). Anyway, I have always been curious about Dr. Oz's "green drink" - you may have seen him share the recipe with Oprah - so DH and I decided to give the juicer a whirl. I am in LOVE with the green drink. It's a bit of maintenance and $$ to get the ingredients together, but SO WORTH IT! To think that I already had more than 5 serving of high octane, antioxidant, vitamin rich, colorful veggies and fruit by breakfast was so cool. And I actually really, really liked the taste, which was a huge surprise to me (I was expecting it to taste like swamp water). Very citrusy and a tad sweet (from the apple).

So, I am shifting my focus a bit - focus on getting the nutrient rich foods my body needs, staying far away from processed carbs and junk, and getting my exercise in - these are my goals. I think a difference is bound to follow on the scale.

Anyway, all I managed yesterday was a 20 min workout, but it was tough - level 2 of 30 day shred. DH agreed to walk or bike with me today, and we are getting ready to make the green drink again.

I also need to add that another top goal for next week MUST be more sleep... I can't run on empty!

Have a healthy day, girls!

pufffin
08-16-2008, 12:40 PM
Hello everyone - sorry I haven't been posting - I've been on early shifts (7 - 3) for which I have to get up at 4.30 am and I am very, very tired. I put my darling baby (age 21) back on the train to London this morning for the next academic year and am feeling sad. I think I'll have an early night then head down to the beach early tomorrow for some fresh air and gentle jogging. I know it makes me feel better in so many ways! Weight loss is still good - 2.6 pounds this week so I'm pleased with that.

Claire - I am curious as to what you put in your juice drink? I too would be scared of "swamp" flavour - I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Amanda - I like your mini goals - I'm going to have a think of some while I'm sitting here resting.

Shannon - I agree with you about exercise being invigorating. I'm looking forward to jogging tomorrow - I hope it's cool and bright with a good breeze - lovely!

Nancy - How did you get on with the stepping? It's my favourite indoor exercise.

Be good everyone!
Look I now have a ticker!!!

pufffin
08-16-2008, 12:50 PM
Mini goals:

163.9 - I will be overweight instead of obese!!!!!
144.0 - The lowest I have been in the last 20 years
142.0 - The weight I was when I married my husband
135.9 - I will be officially "normal"!!!

Hmmm - need to think of something between the first two...

Amany
08-16-2008, 02:07 PM
Oh wow! I'm happy and humbled that I could inspire others by something I'm doing. I'm glad you all like the mini goal idea. I hope it helps you guys too. :hug: I think I'll add mine to my signature as well.

Walking - I hate counting calories. I know what you mean about just wanting to focus on eating well. I do try to be mindful of fat and calories though. That's about the extent of it.
Keep us updated on the "green drink" and get some rest!

Puff - I'm sorry the baby is gone. Will she come home for Thanksgiving? It must make you proud to have a daughter in college though.
I so jealous of you! I want to run too. What's stopping me? Just me, I guess... :o I really need to just commit to doing it. I'll have to start off with walking / jogging increments. I used to run in high school for the heck of it. I was like Forest Gump. lol Sometimes I'd feel like running, so I'd just do it. It was the best feeling in the world, and I miss it.

Today I completed my Cardio Callanetics video. Oh boy, did the abs part kill me! I like it though. My back always feels good afterwards. I may need to get in a bit more cardio today though. Maybe a short power walk.

Well, have a great weekend everyone. I'll check in later.

pufffin
08-16-2008, 02:26 PM
Amanda - When I say jogging methinks I exaggerate somewhat! :o You mention walk/jog increments - that's exactly what I do. I built up to 10 minute jog sections the last time I did it but eventually my knees gave up. This time I'm sticking to jogging on sand (mostly) to see if that helps. I have lost a lot of fitness in the 12 months while I have been mostly doing nothing but I am starting to build up my activity again so that's good.

No -my baby won't be home now till Christmas but I'll go down and visit her once or twice in between - can't wait!

Sending good vibes to all! :hug:

walking2lose
08-16-2008, 04:46 PM
Amanda - When I say jogging methinks I exaggerate somewhat! :o You mention walk/jog increments - that's exactly what I do.

:

Puffin and Amanda - that's exactly what I do! I call it "wogging" (walk/jog) :D

DH and I just went to the local park and did and hour of very brisk walking for the first 30 minutes and then 30 minutes of wogging. Great workout -- the hills really got me sweating!

I'm going to give some more thought to the goals - I am liking the idea!

Also, Shannon - I love visual cues too - when I have my favorite work out shorts clean and folded on top of my dresser, I do think I'm more likely to put them on and get going!

I'll post the link to the green drink.

Shannon in ATL
08-16-2008, 08:04 PM
Hello All! i made it up this morning, did 36 minutes on the exercise bike and my trusty ad & back video... Since then I feel like I've been up and down the stairs fifty times! The joy of the two story house and the three year old! :)

I like mini-goals too... I'm close to my goal weight but nowhere near my goal for body fat or protein in my diet... I'm going to work on some mini-goals around those... Thanks Amanda!

Puffin & Amanda - I've not even made it up to the "wogging"... I have this vision of going to the pretty new park near my house and drive by it every day without stopping... I have this fear of people looking at me that goes back to childhood when a teacher told me I looked stupid when I ran because my arms flapped around crazy... :) I'm jealous of the beach to run on Puffin, hope it is pretty for you!

Walkin - the walk at the park sounds great! My DH is currently in a "food is my enemy and I don't have time to exercise" place - trying to cajole him out of it...

Have a good rest of the weekend everyone!

Amany
08-16-2008, 09:39 PM
Puff - Ten minute increments is pretty darn impressive. A few months ago, I loosely followed the Couch to 5K program. I think I got up to about 3 minutes. I hope your knees are better to you this time.

Walking - Oh wogging.... :lol:
I guess I'll start wogging next week then. :D

Aww Shannon... :hug: I'm sorry. Some people should never be allowed to work with children.

I tweaked my mini goals. 155 is the heavy end of my ideal weight. Once I get there, I'm sure I'll be motivated to lose a little more, but that's my goal for right now.

pufffin
08-17-2008, 09:01 AM
Had a happy beach wog (thanks Claire!) today! This week I'm doing 10 reps of jog 1/walk 1 minute. Found it quite easy today so that's good! I'm going to stick to that for this week and then maybe add a few seconds to the jogs next week. Hope you enjoy your wogging this week Amanda and Claire!
Well done on the bike AND video Shannon - sounds like a LOT to me!
Claire - I am very glad the beach has no hills - but I did notice that it appears to be slightly uphill in both direction - very odd....

Shannon in ATL
08-17-2008, 09:43 PM
i made 45 minutes on the elliptical this morning - I've started changing the incline every five minutes along with the various resistance changes because it gives me little blocks of time to focus on instead of the entire 45 looming in front of me right from the start... I also did a different video this morning - a ten minute yoga stretch. I was feeling a little stiff today - We are working on teaching my stepson to sleep in his own bed all night and he got up and came into our room five times between midnight and 4:30... most of the time he went back easy, but two of them took a little more work... so, not much sleep for anyone in my house last night! And of course, he was up and running this morning at 6:00am while DH and I were dragging around. I wish I knew where all that energy came from! We went to the park this morning also and he ran hard for almost two hours with no signs of stopping... Amazing...

Amanda - I like the tweak on your mini-goals... It is like my five minute chucks of elliptical training - breaks it down into pieces that are absolutely attainable. I'm sure that you will be motivated to lose more when you get to the 155, and look how many small goalpoints you will already have behind you! :)

Puffin -Sound like the walk was beautiful! Yay! The ten reps of 1min intervals sounds great - I've read a lot of things that say that is one of the best ways to train because it speeds the heart rate up and then lets it slow back down, then back up, back down, etc... The uphill both directions is a little odd... like the "I walked ten miles to school in the snow uphill both ways with no shoes when I was your age" story...

Claire -You've mentioned in earlier posts that you have a lot of practice getting your husband out of bad moods and motivating him... What do you do? I've been trying to tease my DH out of his funk for the last week or so and it isn't going well... I'm beginning to wonder if me being successful at the weight loss is de-motivating him somehow - we started dieting and exercise more because he wanted to lose than me and then i kind of took over...
And how is the green drink going? I'm intrigued by it... I just started smoothie pretty regularly this past week so anything I could add into them sounds good to me right now!

My ticker just showed up too! :)

Good Sunday night all!

walking2lose
08-19-2008, 12:52 AM
Claire - I am curious as to what you put in your juice drink? I too would be scared of "swamp" flavour - I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Here it is, girls... drumroll... http://www.oprah.com/slideshow/health/exercise/slideshow1_ss_oz_20071105_350/11

This is roughly the recipe I used, but I actually originally followed a recipe I found on a different site, so measurements were slightly different. I ended up using a whole container of spinach (5 oz), one whole cuke (not 2 cups as called for), and a 1/2 lemon and 1/2 lime. We are really lucky to have a nice garden, but spinach is not a summer crop here in hot Virginia. But the cukes have come from my garden. DH went to Lowe's yesterday and was sweet enough to buy spinach seeds for fall - we have not grown it before, but I'd like to try it. As long as the rabbits don't get it, we'll be in business!

Dr. Oz made his in a blender - I believe a high powered blender, I'm guessing a Vitamix (I would love one, but they are $200). My blender couldn't handle all these veggies, plus I can't imagine how THICK and pulpy it would be if made in blender! Also, the prep would take so long - core and peel apple, peel cuke, peel and seed lemon/lime, etc. The beauty of this juicer (I'm so lucky it feel into my hands) is that I throw all the veggies in with NO PREP-- rind, seeds, peel and all!! Yes, I do have to chop them in pieces to get them in the feeder hole (like a food processor), but this is easy. I've made the drink 3x now and am still loving it! Have I said how much I love the Acme Juicerator??? Love it! (And this is my first experience with any kind of juicing)

In other news, the exercise front has been bad - none yesterday or today (drat). I am back at work this week, and between work, 2 away hockey scrimmages (one an hour away), book club with friends one night, hair cut appointment... well, something had to give and unfortunately that has been exercise. Not good, I know. I really should have gone yesterday early in the day to get something in (or at least a dvd). However, my 9 year old niece was to come over yesterday to do a cooking night/spend the night with me ... I kept piddling and house cleaning thinking I had time to go for my "wog"... next thing I knew, SIL called and was ready to bring her.

So, tomorrow, I must at least squeeze in 30 minutes of something... you all are going to be my inspiration this week!

walking2lose
08-19-2008, 12:55 AM
Had a happy beach wog (thanks Claire!) today!
Claire - I am very glad the beach has no hills - but I did notice that it appears to be slightly uphill in both direction - very odd....

Puff - :rofl: I LOVE the image of the beach being uphill - both ways! Sounds like my kinda luck! Great plan you have for the week.

walking2lose
08-19-2008, 01:13 AM
Claire -You've mentioned in earlier posts that you have a lot of practice getting your husband out of bad moods and motivating him... What do you do? I've been trying to tease my DH out of his funk for the last week or so and it isn't going well... I'm beginning to wonder if me being successful at the weight loss is de-motivating him somehow - we started dieting and exercise more because he wanted to lose than me and then i kind of took over...
And how is the green drink going? I'm intrigued by it... I just started smoothie pretty regularly this past week so anything I could add into them sounds good to me right now!

Hey Shannon - hmm... I think I'm going to have to give some thought to the husband thing because I'm not exactly sure how/why he has an interest in exercise and healthy eating. I do think part of it is due to my gentle cajoling, encouraging, my example, and the fact that I ask him every day to do something with me (answer used to be NO -almost always), but I also believe he is being influenced by the fact that his father is quite ill right now. Our dad's our the same age (67), yet mine is full of vigor and life, whereas his dad has poor quality of life. My parents are active - they eat quite healthfully and exercise regularly. They don't ever mention or complain about health ailments (though they both have some). They take good care of themselves and live life fully.

His dad is in the midst of radiation for prostate cancer, and he has a long list of other health issues, some very serious. He is on tons of meds, and his life largely consists of tv watching and napping. We visited earlier this summer, and my husband has been visibly affected by it. So, I have to say that is a big part of his new 'get healthy' motivation. He keeps talking about the fact that his dad always took terrible care of himself (smoked, drank, never exercised, had very stressful job), so I know he is seeing the connection to lifestyle. I JUST HOPE IT LASTS!!

Your husband sounds like he is in a bit of a funk, and yes, he may well be a little deflated to see you on a roll... and realize that he's not in that place yet. I think you should just keep on doing what you're doing - keep up the motivation yourself and keep gently encouraging him (we know nagging doesn't work too well :)). I bet he'll turn around.

And by the way, Nelie and a couple other 3FC'ers make smoothies with a handful of spinach thrown in... maybe you could try a little, test it, and move up to a handful? My typical smoothie, which I make for DH a few days a week), is frozen berries, plain lowfat yogurt, milk (or unsweetened almond milk) - blend. I usually throw in a little stevia. If I have bananas I throw one in and also sometimes a tablespoon of ground flax. DH has some digestive issues, so he takes daily probiotics (man, have they helped). If he has a smoothie, I put powdered in, but if not he takes the capsule. Oh, and if it's all he's eating, and if I have some, I put a scoop of whey protein powder in (Trader Joe's brand).

walking2lose
08-19-2008, 01:18 AM
sorry so long... couldn't figure out how to quote more than one person's response... maybe it's too late??? Night all

Shannon in ATL
08-19-2008, 05:17 PM
Hi guys - haven't posted in a day or so, but I'm still here! After already exercising in the AM on Sunday I decided to cut the grass Sunday night while DH was studying for school, so did 30 minutes on the elliptical on Monday AM with my ab video. Did 45 minutes this morning with a pilates video.

Still haven't put the Weider together, but I did get everything ready so we can hang the ceiling fans we bought for the garage tonight. That should leave us open to put together the actual exercise equipment tomorrow night....

Claire - thanks for the smoothie suggestions, and the DH advice! :) He did get up and exercise this morning, and said that he felt pretty good after he was finished. I'm hoping that the Weider will give him a little more motivation. I imagine that your father-in-laws health would be a big motivator for your husband - my father-in-law has emphysema from smoking so long and I think some liver trouble, but otherwise is pretty darn healthy... otherwise, the smoking and the drinking would have killed him by now. DH has gotten a little worried about himself lately because he realizes that his health isn't great and now he has a 3 year old son whom he would like to see graduate from high school. I'm hoping that will push him a little.

And no, nagging doesn't work at all! :) I'm trying to be more subtle... Hard, but I'm working on it!

walking2lose
08-20-2008, 01:49 PM
He did get up and exercise this morning, and said that he felt pretty good after he was finished.

And no, nagging doesn't work at all! :) I'm trying to be more subtle... Hard, but I'm working on it!

Shannon, my DH and yours sound similar - mine is ALWAYS psyched AFTER he works out ("that was awesome" "I need to do that more," etc.), it can just be like pulling teeth to get him to start.

Have you tried out your new equipment yet?? How exciting!

Yesterday I did a 30 minute wog and then about 45 minutes of a yoga dvd (with DH!!!).

Have a healthy day, girls!

Shannon in ATL
08-20-2008, 03:59 PM
We ran into a few snags trying to hang the ceiling fans last night, so didn't get started putting the Weider together yet... sadness... I would like to think we will start on it tonight, but it is likely grocery night so I figure we won't have time. We have SS tomorrow night, so that will mean we won't get started until Friday... That's okay - it gives me something to look forward to for the weekend! :)

I slept a little late this morning - made the 45 mins on elliptical, but didn't get a workout video in. I'm going to try to do it tonight while DH is studying. He is taking a certification exam in the next few months so has been doing a lot of studying...

Claire, you and I are about the same height - I'm curious, how did you pick your goal weight? I'm still not sure about mine...

Happy day everybody!

Shannon in ATL
08-21-2008, 01:13 PM
Our thread is getting a little slim this week! Hope you guys are all hanging in there!

I did go home last night and do my ab video while DH was studying, and I decided to add in a 20 minute lower body workout. I can really feel it in my legs today...

So, this morning I did a yoga stretching video to recover from the lower body pummeling of last night and 45 minutes on the elliptical. I think tomorrow it is time to switch back to stationary bike for a day or so - my heart rate was consistently 10-15 beats lower than my normal exercise level on the elliptical today. (Though, to give myself credit, it stayed around 155, which is 75%ish percent of my target, so still not too bad...)

Have a good day ladies! Hope to see more people back in the net few days!

cmichele1974
08-21-2008, 05:44 PM
So far this week, for structured exercise I've logged 16 miles of walking/jogging and 9 miles of cycling. I'm using Leslie Sansone's WATP dvd. My goals are 30 miles of walking and 15 miles of cycling this week. I do use light weights for the WATP dvd and I've had 2 days of weight lifting this week. I use 1, 3, 5, 8, and 12 pound weights. I sometimes use TBL Power Sculpt or The Firm upper body tapes. Otherwise, I design my own weights routine.

Next week, it's super sets for lifting and power yoga and Pilates. It will definitely be a toning focused week. I'll scale back to 1-2 miles of walking/jogging each day. I may add in 2 miles of cycling, I haven't decided yet.

Btw, as far as equipment I own a stationary bike, an aerobic stepper, an aerobic step, a trampoline/rebounder, 5 sets of hand weights, resistance bands and cords and various yoga/Pilates equipment. I'm looking to replace my broken treadmill in the near future however, I may just get an elliptical.

I've been collecting exercise videos since '95. I have some of everything including old school Donna Richardson, Taebo, Denise Austin, The Firm, Kathy Smith, and the 10 Minute Solution videos. I probably have at least 50 tapes and dvds.

Shannon in ATL
08-22-2008, 02:47 PM
Welcome cmichele - sounds like you have a great setup!

I didn't exercise this morning, gave myself a morning off. I'm planning to go home tonight and do one of my ab videos and some yoga while DH watches the Falcon's game...

walking2lose
08-23-2008, 11:45 AM
Claire, you and I are about the same height - I'm curious, how did you pick your goal weight? I'm still not sure about mine...

Hey girls!

Shannon - you are right... our thread is lagging! I'm going to try to post daily - it keeps me accountable, and of course, I love to chat :D I've just been so daggone busy this week with the two hockey scrimmages and with being back to work for teacher work days. I'm moving rooms, so I have a ton of work to do, and I just feel overwhelmed!

On a bright note, Thursday, DH and I did yoga dvd again. I didn't get any cardio in, but I was glad to at least do that before my scrimmage (it was over an hour away, so it was an all day event). Then last night, we went to the park to walk, and lo and behold, he wanted to walk the first half and run the 2nd half! We did this last week too. Mind you ladies, I am dealing with a very reluctant exerciser here, so this is good stuff! It was a great work out for me - DH is 6' 4", and now that he has his mind set on exercise, he has cranked up the intensity. His brisk walk pace forces me to jog a little - just to keep up. And then, like I said, we ran the last half of the loop - me behind DH.

I have a much needed pedi at noon with one of my best buds (2nd one this summer, and I can't wait!!!!), so I will probably work out today late afternoon (when toes are dry :D). I'd like to do a little stretching (pilates or yoga) and some cardio.

Shannon - to answer your question from above, I arrived at my goal weight by... well, from sheer frustration really! Most of my life I've been a fairly slim size - I weighed in the upper 120s or at most in the low 130s for MOST of my adult life. I did push up a couple times to a pudgy 145 or so, but I also could lose it when I set my mind to it. I grew up doing lots of sports - competitive swimming, field hockey, and from college through early 30s I was an avid cyclist - mountain biked a LOT and even did century rides on the road. Well, around age 34 or so I had some weird health issues - very sore joints/muscles, fatigue, weakness, etc. I was tested for lots of things like lupus, arthritis, etc. I couldn't exercise much and felt pretty crummy for around 18 months at least - had good days, but didn't feel like myself. I eventually got better (never knew what I had, but seemed to be some autoimmune issue), but I have never exercised with the same intensity.

My age, I believe, also has something to do with my extra weight - I'm a late bloomer - married DH at 36, and I'm now 40. I was a slim and fit looking bride - size 6/8. Not sure of weight, but I know it was 130 or high 120s. Well, I gained about 20 lbs. in first 2 years of marriage, and have been struggling ever since. My initial goal was 125 (!!!), but I have had to work so hard to lose every pound, that I finally realized/accepted that was unrealistic for me. I actually feel (and look, IMO) pretty darn good at 135 or so, so I have just adjusted my goal UP because I've found it so challenging to lose. For most part I eat well and exercise (of course I have my moments), but really, I have to do that just to MAINTAIN my 145 or so and not GAIN. So, as I've accepted that my body has changed some, I have adjust my goal up, and I'm now ok with it. I just don't think I could see 125 again without and INCREDIBLY regimented effort (and that just ain't gonna happen). As it is, I'm fairly regimented! Also, to be honest, I'm pretty thin at 125, so I don't really need to be that tiny again.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

Ok gals, have a healthy day! Let's all TRY to check in at least every other day and post (at least a short one) of what we did (or didn't) do. Accountability, you know?? ;) Alright girls, I'm off to tidy a bit.

walking2lose
08-23-2008, 11:45 AM
p.s. Hi to Michele!!!!

walking2lose
08-23-2008, 11:48 AM
By the way, Shannon, losing just the 10 lbs. I'm aiming for is really tough for me - can you give me some tips on how you've done it? It's hard to believe losing 10 lbs is so darned hard!! But it IS.

Shannon in ATL
08-24-2008, 12:27 AM
Thanks for sharing your story, Claire! Sounds like you and DH had a great workout Thursday! and I'm jealous of the pedi... I'm well overdue for one. I need to find an excuse to drive down and visit SIL, she and I always go for pedis when we get together! I also broke off all of my nails and have put off getting those done, too... I think I'll make a point to get them done next week - I've worked too hard on the diet and exercise to have icky, broken fingernails... :)

I've never been a highly athletic person, but in my younger days I weighed in the 130-14 through most of my 20's, until I married an alcoholic and started really hating life... Divorced and turned 30 in the same year, stopped paying attention to the weight. I remember thinking "when I hit 145 that's it...", "when I hit 150 I'm really going to do something", then started kickboxing and yoga at 150 but still drank Venti Caramel Mocha frappucinno's every day... moved to Soy Chai latte, thinking it was healthier, still ate 500-700 cals every day of pastry and latte... So, worked out every day in order to over indulge... stopped working out, said "160 is the highest I'll get..." When I started dating my now DH in 2005 I weighed 167... Increased activity, we got out more, I didn't snack as much, I felt better about myself, etc - all led to losing down to 135 by the time we got married in fall 2006. Then, in January of 2007 I gained back up to 145, have been hovering around there ever since, until May when he and I decided we had to change the way we were headed... And, here I am today at 128.3... I'm 36 now, by the way.

I set 127 as my goal because it was 20 pounds less than where I started, but now that I'm almost there I'm really thinking 125 will be my target. I still have a pretty noticeable tummy pooch... Though, once I finish assembling the Weider (no, didn't get it done today... we went to a used record store downtown and went to the greatest hamburger place I've ever been to today, so didn't do any real work...) I'm wondering if some core exercise will help with that and keep me at the same weight. Still pondering it... I have a small frame - I wear a 4 ring and when I wrap my fingers around my wrist the thumb and middle finger overlap past the first knuckle on each one. I figure I'll see where I end up, but I feel like I should be thinner than I have been historically, have felt that my whole life, just wasn't motivated enough to change it...

How have I lost the weight... I started with calorie counting. I'm pretty obsessive about it, actually. I target 1200, with a range of 1150-1250 per day. I have a spreadsheet where I log everything and have a chart for common food items I eat out and meals I prepare. I'm pretty regimented on snacks and such - I have a lot of trail mixes from Trader Joe's that give me protein and good fat. I got a nice food scale recently and discovered I was lowballing some of my items because I was rounding off scoops and spoons, but I'm pretty darn accurate for the last two weeks. I allow myself one cheat day, usually on the weekend where I'm not as tight - I'll go up to 1700-1800 (2000 on the worst one...) on that day. That had me at an average of 1300ish per day for about 2 months. Of course, I realized I might have been off by as much as 100, so my average could have been 1400 during that time. Two weeks ago I added in whey protein to my morning smoothie and as an occasional night time milkshake snack. This week I had lost two pounds when I weighed in, the most in one week so far. It could have been from being more accurate with calories and not having a big day last weekend, but I suspect it also had something to do with the whey. It is supposed to help you burn fat faster - not sure how, but there are some studies and discussions about it on here in other forums. And, finally, I have exercised all but 8 days since June 10th for a minimum of 30 minutes, most days for about an hour. I exercise at the 80-85% range of target heart rate, I'll probably have to lower the intensity soon as well. I haven't had any health problems come up, but I know that I have a genetic predisposition for arthritis and I can already feel my joints starting to stiffen somewhat. I'm trying to get in what I can while I can without doing anything that will hurt me in the long run. I do all kinds of things as exercise too - clean the garage, cut the grass, yard work, etc. I also have Comcast cable with Exercise TV so there are 20-30 different workout videos at any given point to choose from.

I know as a teacher that you have less time than I do most likely, I work in HR and have a pretty standard 9-5 work day at the job I have now. (first time in my life I've had that, I probably exercise all the time because I'm so used to being busy and working 60 hours per week that I fill the time with exercise.) I actually wanted to be a teacher at one point but decided I just didn't have the 'right stuff' for the job - finished school, got the teaching certificate, never used it a day... I have nothing but respect for you guys who do it every day! :)

I'll tell you - going from 147-135 was a lot harder than from 135 on down. I plateaud around 137 and stuck there - went down a pound, went up two, came down one, went up three... Once I hit 135 I hung for a few weeks, when it dropped to 134 it started going a lot faster... I guess my system realized I was serious and it decided to cooperate with me instead of working against me! :) You can do it too, I have faith!

oh yeah, last night I didn't work out like I planned - we went to play trivia with some of DHs friends from work and I was done when we got home. Not up for any kind of exercise. I did do my ab video this AM and 45 minutes on the elliptical - definitely have to do the bike tomorrow though, had a hard time keeping the HR up on the elliptical today and don't want to get myself too used to the exercise.. Have to mix it up a bit!

Long post - sorry about that!
Have a good day everyone and hope to see more people back on soon!

walking2lose
08-24-2008, 01:45 AM
Shannon - I really want to respond to all this, but I'm sooo tired, so I will have to wait till tomorrow! Just wanted to let you know I read it, and I really appreciate hearing your story!

pufffin
08-24-2008, 12:11 PM
Sorry guys for going missing. I have not had the energy to post but I have been reading! Ran (wogged) three times this week and plan for 4 in the coming week. It's been lovely to read about you. I promise to try to contribute more in the future.
Hugs

cmichele1974
08-24-2008, 01:46 PM
Hi walkingelose, Shannon, every!

Today, I know I'm doing Pilates Crunch and a 1 mile WATP segment. I haven't decided if i will round it out with yoga, Peel Away The Pound Pilates, Denise Austin's Power Zone, or 2 segments of 10 Minute Solutions.

Shannon in ATL
08-24-2008, 03:01 PM
Good morning all!
I did 15 minutes on the stationary bike this morning, but just couldn't keep my heart rate up, so moved to the elliptical machine for 45 minutes there. No other video or anything - have some work planned for the garage so figured that would be the extra I want for today!

claire - hope you got some rest last night... at 12:45 I was passed out myself, and slept until after 9 this morning...

puffin - good job on the 'wogs' this week!

michele - sounds like a good workout for today! What is Pilates Crunch?

Have a great day everybody!

walking2lose
08-24-2008, 03:42 PM
Hey girls -

Sounds like everyone is on track fairly well... good job, everyone!

Puffin - sounds like you have been really busy/tired. Boy, I can relate. I'm glad you checked in though, even just for a "quickie" ;)

Michele - How awesome that you have such a big collection of workout dvds/videos ... I'm sure you have your 'go to' ones, but it would be nice to have so much variety.

As for me, yesterday ended up being a bust exercise-wise, but I did well with eating, despite eating out. My morning pedicure with my girlfriend turned into a 4 hour plus visit... pedis, then a new thai restaurant for lunch, then back to my place for more hanging out. Then I got involved in laundry, cleaning inside of my car (which was trashed), etc. etc., and well, the exercise never happened. Actually I did hit around a hockey ball in my yard for about 30 minutes, chasing after it a bit might have burned a few calories... hope so.

This morning DH and I did a repeat of Friday night's workout - 1 hour at the park, half of it "wogging." It felt great. He is mowing the grass now, so I'm going to get in a pilates resistance band dvd too for some much needed toning.

I'm fairly happy with my exercise lately, and I've been doing well eating mostly whole foods, tons of veggies, and drinking lots of water. I had decided not to count calories for a while - I've been on break from dailyplate for about a week now. I'm going to continue this for another week, and if I don't see the scale go down, I know I must go back to counting.

Shannon - thanks for sharing your story - I remember last year when I dropped some weight- it was tooth and nail for every pound down to about 141 or 2 or so. I mean, those lbs. did NOT want to budge! After that, seemingly without trying too hard, I dropped another 4-5. Wonder why that happened? Sounds like your loss was similar. Of course I slacked and regained, but I'm motivated to get there again.

So, have a great day, ladies! I have a long day tomorrow, but I have a pilates class tomorrow night, so I know I will get my workout in. Be healthy!

Shannon in ATL
08-25-2008, 02:12 PM
Hi there ladies!

I did a pilates video this morning and 45 minutes on my elliptical. I'm trying the HITT now, changing every 1:30 to 2:00 minutes, to see if that works the heart rate...

Good job on the wog and walk, claire! I'm doing pretty good with the water, not so great with the whole foods...keep us posted on how it works!

Have a great day everyone!

AngelMae
08-25-2008, 02:34 PM
Hi everyone!! Mind if I join. I just recently started getting fit at home!! I really dont have a choice the nearest gym is 45 mins away!

I usually go for a 2 mile walk in the evening. I have a treadmil but have been enjoying the nice weather and walking outside. I also just started doing the Biggest Loser workout once or twice a week and I have a Carmen Electra video but I guess it dosent feel like it does a whole lot. But it is fun.

Last night I got a new magazine and they have pull out cards for weight training and I am going to try one of those today!

Thanks for this thread it has a lot of great ideas!!

Angel!

walking2lose
08-26-2008, 12:22 AM
Hi Angel- Isn't it great to be able to work out in the comfort of your home?? I just started acquiring dvds in the last year or so, but I am enjoying them a lot. I do a lot outside too -- walk, wog, bike, -- and I'm currently taking a once a week Pilates class on monday nights (my only structured exercise). However, my gym membership is "frozen," and I'm loving it.

Had a very busy day today - left for work at 7:45am got home at 10:15pm!!! That included day at work, hockey practice, pilates class, and WalMart run for school supplies. ugh.

Need to hit the hay. Night ladies!

Shannon in ATL
08-26-2008, 04:00 PM
Hi Angel! Welcome! We've had a lot of rain here lately and it has been crazy hot, so walking outside hasn't been much fun for me... I'm jealous that you can get out there in the fresh air!

I did some yoga this morning and 45 minutes on the elliptical, in a different pattern this time. The HITT worked a lot better today than yesterday...

I finally got my Weider strength training system put together on Sunday, but haven't actually used it. I ran smack into my TOM (Seasonale, so not really TOM, more like TO3M) and haven't felt like doing anything new this week... Haven't felt much like doing anything old either, but have made myself get up and exercise anyway.

Have a good day ladies!

Amy8888
08-26-2008, 04:02 PM
Hi, can I join too?

A little background about me. I lost about 50 lbs 7 years ago, thanks in large part to workout videos. I managed to keep most of it off for a long time too, for about 4 years. Then I got pregnant with baby #1, then 5 months after she was born, with baby #2. I packed on the pounds during each pregnancy and haven't been able to take it off.

So I struggled to find a way to get back into fitness and I'm getting there. I tried joining a gym (I belonged to it when I lost weight the first time and enjoyed it then), but having two babies and a job made it impossible to go. I tried to get into walking, but for the most part it's not my thing as my major form of exercise.

So a couple of months ago I got sucked into a TurboJam infomercial, and decided to give the home workouts a try again. This time, I decided to wake up and do my workouts before work, and it's worked out well. I like TJ, but I just can't do it every day, I need more variety. I have some FitTV shows on my TiVo, and some Project You! DVDs (Kathy Smith), Ellen Barrett workouts, and a bunch of older tapes. I don't know that I'll use these tapes much at this point, because I got so sick of them, but I could probably get back into the Firm at some point.

So, I just need accountability I guess. My goal is to get at least 5 30-45 minute workouts in a week. So far this week, I'm 2 for 2!

AngelMae
08-26-2008, 08:36 PM
Hi Amy8888 and welcome from another newbie!

Sounds like it has been a productive day for everyone!

Today I took my dog for a 35 min walk and I did a 25 min workout that I read in my Self magazine.

Thanks have a good day everyone!
Angel :)

walking2lose
08-27-2008, 12:43 AM
Welcome Amy! I am all about accountability. I'm trying to post everyday on this thread.

Angel - good job on your walking and your SELF workout. I used to rip those magazine workouts out every month, but then I lacked the motivation to do them. I do better either doing something outside or doing a dvd - I admire those, like you, who can push themselves to follow a workout. Guess I'm slack!

Today, DH and I did the park walk/wog again. Almost one hour. Then I had a long day at school, followed by a hockey game. Got home around 8.

Another long day tomorrow... gotta be strong to get through this week. I am NOT ready for school to start!

Have a healthy day tomorrow, girls!

Shannon in ATL
08-27-2008, 01:46 PM
Good afternoon everyone!
Amy - welcome! We always have room for more! Accountability is great, like Claire, I try to post every day... If I know I have to put into writing what I did for someone other than myself I'm more likely to get up and do it! I love Tivo, by the way... I've had several, but am currently only using DVRs from my cable company. I feel withdrawal every time I want to do a keyword search in the program listings... :tantrum:

Angel - Great job! Walking with the pets is a great way to get some exercise time in while doing something you have to do anyway! :) I used to do those SELF workout, too, but I do better with the ones on TV. I just can't make myself do it all without hearing someone tell me to...:o

Claire - way to go getting the exercise in when you can! Keep it up! When does school start?

I did my 10 minute AB video today and 45 minutes on the elliptical, again with the HITT... I'm going to start on the Weider tonight or tomorrow - feeling mildly bloated today, so might wait another day... On the up side, DH has worked out on it twice now and is already asking me to structure dinner prep in such a way that he can work out again tonight... :carrot:

Good day to all!

AngelMae
08-27-2008, 08:41 PM
Hey everyone!! What a great day it was here in Maine!!

Shannon & Clair- I watched to moves on the website before I did them or otherwise I wouldnt have been able to figure them out. But I think next time I will use a video or something.

Today I cleaned for an hour (not exactly formal exercise but I was sweating!) I went for a brisk 15 min walk and I found an old Denise Austin video and did the cardio and leg sculpting parts of the video!

Hope everyone has a great night!!:)

walking2lose
08-28-2008, 09:14 AM
Hey girls -

Sounds like everyone is rolling along!

No exercise for me yesterday - we had to stay at school for open house, which ended at 7:30. So it was a LONG day, and it followed a poor night's sleep. The transition back to school is overwhelming to me every year - though I've taught for 15 years - sometimes my mind races at night. That was the case Tue night - I just couldn't sleep after my hockey game. So, yesterday wasn't as productive as I needed to be.

We have the option of having Friday off, but I will have to work to get everything done. The kids start Tue (day after Labor Day), so at least I'll have a nice 3 day weekend. In a couple weeks, the dust will settle, and I'll be in a groove, but I'm not there yet.

I just need to keep pushing with exercise and eating well... exercise is the ultimate de-stresser for me. I have another game today, but I MUST MAKE A POINT TO WORK OUT AFTERWARD.

I will post back tonight to let you know what I did... ACCOUNTABILITY!!!

Good job on the workouts, girls... keep it up!!

Shannon in ATL
08-28-2008, 12:12 PM
Good morning everyone... Well, almost afternoon, I guess! :)

Angel - ExerciseTV has videos on their website that can be downloaded to your computer, iPod or burned to CD I think. And, housecleaning can definitely be a workout!

Claire - enjoy your last few days before the kids come back!

I did some Ab exercises this morning, on my own this time, no video. I also did my 45 minutes on the elliptical. I'm very motivated this week by my new size six pants!

Have a great day all!

AngelMae
08-28-2008, 07:35 PM
Shannon-Wow size 6!! That is awesome!!

I didnt get a whole lot done today, the little guy didnt feel well today and to me its really draining when the little ones are sick. I did manage to walk/jog on the treadmill for for 35 mins.

Have a great night!!

Shannon in ATL
08-28-2008, 08:30 PM
Hey Angel - it is an accomplishment to get any exercise in when you have a sick child at home. Heck, I have a hard time getting any in when my stepson is with us even when he is well! :) We have them this weekend and I'm already making my plan to get up earlier than normal and get some time in... He gets up at 6am, so I'll wake up then anyway!

AngelMae
08-29-2008, 08:49 PM
Shannon-I completely understand about getting up earlier, even though I have only done it a few times. I usually take my little guy in the stroller for a walk or exercise when he is napping. I am just not a morning person. But I am finding that there are some days that I am not getting my exercise in until 8 or 9 pm and I would really like to have it done before then, so I think I am just going to have to stick it out and get up earlier!

Today I took my cousins bike for a 2 mile ride. I guess I forgot how hard bike riding can be because I am really sore now, my legs anyway! But now that I am done, I feel really proud that I got that far! I also went antiquing with my aunt and mother, I know it isnt really exersizing but I did a lot of walking!

Shannon in ATL
08-31-2008, 10:57 PM
Hi Angel - I wish i had a bike, I'm thinking about getting myself and DH one for Christmas this year to go along with the one we are getting DSS/ I have a stationary bike, but that just isn't the same. :) And, if your aunt and your mom shop like my mom and my sister-in-law you got a lot of work in there!

I made it up early yesterday and today and did my 45 minutes if interval HITT in my elliptical, if you can really call it that... I don't think I follow the rules you are supposed to follow for HITT - I think I just get my heart rate way up there and then don't ever let it get back low enough inbetween... Tonight I did 8 minutes on the Weider working on my arms, then did my ab/back video and a 20 minute cardio yoga on exercise tv while DH was studying for his exam. It was the first time I've used the new Weider - I enjoyed it a lot!

I also weighed myself yesterday morning and this morning even though my weigh in day is Friday - Friday I got five different numbers, four around 125.8, 125.9, 126.0, 126.1, then I figured the correct one was the 127.1, that all the others I got must have been wrong. Yesterday I got 125.9 every single time, today I got 126.0 every time. I guess the 126 must have been right... That gives me a 2.4 pound loss since last Friday, even with TOM. I'm thinking it might be time to up the calories a little...

Have a good day tomorrow everyone!

AngelMae
09-01-2008, 09:58 PM
Shannon-They do love to shop, so I am sure that I got a lot of steps in!!

Today I walked 2 miles. It was a gourgeous day here and I took advantage of it. On Sunday I walked 1 mile and went to the state fair and walked around there a lot. I didnt get any strength training in this weekend but I am planning on doing that early tomorrow morning.

Have a good night everyone! :)

Shannon in ATL
09-02-2008, 01:17 PM
I'm jealous that it is nice enough where you are to walk outside, Angel... We have a great new park just down the street from us with really beautiful trails and everytime I think about going to walk there I walk outside just to get the mail or something and find myself almost dying from the heat and the humidity...Oh, I want it to be fall soon... :)

I did my ab video this morning and 45 minutes on the elliptical. I'm finding that the farther along in the week the harder it is to maintain the HITT intensity... Thinking about taking two days per week off from cardio, or at least taking one day in the middle and doing much lower intensity...

I'm planning on working with the Weider tonight on abs & back. My arms were pretty darn sore the other night after just 8 minutes, so I need to think seriously about how much weight I start with tonight...

Have a good day everybody! Claire, hope you are having a good day back to school!

Schumeany
09-02-2008, 01:35 PM
I seem to be a little late jumping into this thread, but I must have missed it.

I too am an avid, work-out-at-home person. With three kids, there just kept being reasons I couldn't make it to my gym. I love the ease of working out in my family room. I have a few DVDs, but mostly I ride my Nautilus bike for 30+ minutes everyday. Weather permitting, I also walk about three times a week. My other new toy is resistance bands. I used to use dumbells, but I have found the bands to work really, really well and they are so good for strengthening all the different muscle groups for such a reasonable price. I do not even miss the weights at the gym. I think the bands are my very favorite new weight loss find, and I really love the definition I am getting in my arms and shoulders from using them over the last six weeks. I work out with them every other day.

Shannon in ATL
09-02-2008, 03:10 PM
Hi Schumeany! Welcome! I've been thinking about resistance bands - some of the videos on Exercise TV use them. I might just get some this week and give them a try...

AngelMae
09-02-2008, 09:42 PM
Welcome Schumeany! I am pretty new to this thread too!!

Today I got a lot accomplished. This morning I did a 20 min Denise Austin strength training video and a 20 min kick boxing video. And after dinner I went for a mile walk!

I don't know I think this cool weather gives me more energy!! I dont know if that is it but I like it!!

Shannon in ATL
09-02-2008, 09:54 PM
I did work out on my Weider tonight, just finished actually. I did 30 minutes of ab & back exercises (though they felt more like shoulder exercises...) and ten minutes of stretching and cooldown - a little yoga routine similar to the one I do in the morning sometimes...

Good job tonight AngelMae!

Shannon in ATL
09-05-2008, 01:23 PM
Ah, I was the last one to post on 9/2 and here I am back again... This thread may be dying off...

Just in case it comes back, I did exercise Wed & Thurs AM on the elliptical 45 minutes, 50 minutes on the Weider last night - 30 minutes on legs, 20 minutes abs & shoulders - the ones that were listed for shoulders this time!

Anyone else coming back?

AngelMae
09-05-2008, 02:57 PM
Shannon- I hope its not dying off!!

I have been really busy this week. It seems like a holiday on Monday messes the whole week up. Any how, I have started to get myself up earlier in the morning to do a work out video before my DS gets up. I have done it all week!!

I have walked my mile every night. Next week I am planning on doing 2 so I dont get to used to 1 mile.

Today, I did Biggest Loser workout and walked a mile.

Good luck everyone!!

Shannon in ATL
09-05-2008, 03:03 PM
Good job, Angel!

Hat Trick
09-06-2008, 03:07 PM
Hey, GREAT idea for a thread. Thanks for starting it.

I workout at home. I love having the flexibility of working out when it fits my schedule and not having to drive to exercise. I'd also have to buy nicer workout clothes if I belonged to a gym. :D

I used to think exercising meant 60 minutes on the treadmill, same basic pace, sweating away. It took me a long time to realize that variety is truly the spice of life, especially when it comes to exericse.

I have a treadmill and use it 4 or 5 times a week. I like to do speed intervals a few times, an incline interval now and again, a longer incline workout at a lower speed and some longer runs. I've done several of the 3FC 5ks.

I use weights and just started using resistance bands along w/the weights about a week ago. They definitely work your muscles differently than weights. I LIKE it! :D

I also have some yoga dvds I am incorporating into my workouts. I aim for 2-3 days a week for yoga. I also use some Billy Blank workouts. I have one that is not quite long enough - he quits just when you're in a zone and the workout should def. go on for another 5 or 10 mins - so when that one starts the cooldown, I pop in an 8 min. workout of his and get a great, quick 25 min w/out.

Since the kids are back in school, I'm also getting in 4-5 1.5 mile dog walks each week. Hopefully it will all pay off!

Love this thread; I have to go back and read everyone's posts to see what everyone is doing. I am really thinking about getting Jillian Michaels '30 Day Shred'. I see some of you use this too. Is it really kickass? I hope so! :D

Shannon in ATL
09-06-2008, 07:25 PM
Welcome, Hat Trick! Sounds like you have a lot of variety in your routine. I'm falling into that "10 minute video, 45 minute elliptical" rut and am starting to look for variety...

Haven't exercised officially today, but I did clean the bathrooms (50 mins), vacuum (60 mins), sweep (60 mins), mop with hoover floormate (60 mins), cut the grass (90 mins) and edge (30 mins). According to The Daily Plate I've burned 1248 calories. :) Yeah, like i believe that.... I'll probably get on the stationary bike later to get in a little real exercise, or do a long yoga video or something to stretch out the stiff I have from the cleaning!

AngelMae
09-07-2008, 09:06 PM
Welcome Hat Trick!!

Today I did a 30 min walk/jog on the treadmil, it was raining so I didnt get outside to walk. I also tried about 15 mins of yoga. But I was doing one of the pull outs from a magazine and had a hard time following it? I need to get a video or something!

Good luck this week everyone!!

walking2lose
09-07-2008, 11:45 PM
Hello to all the Newbies on this thread... it's great to see everyone chatting so actively (we had hit a slump there about a week ago).

Sounds like everyone is rolling along with the work outs... GREAT JOB!!

I survived the first week back to school (ugh!). It's such a tiring transition, and with coaching hockey, I just didn't do much exercise. I did my Yoga Zone dvd one evening - that was it.

I did walk yesterday for 1 hour - after we cleared up from Hanna. And today DH and I did our walk/run 1 hour at the local park. It's a good work out for me trying to keep up with him!

AND... drum roll... I made Dr. Oz's green Drink both yesterday and today! Yum! I feel so healthy drinking it. I wish I could afford the time and expense to make it every day. DH is planting winter spinach and lettuce so that would cut down on the cost.

I have my last Pilates class tomorrow night (been a 10 week course). I'll check in soon!

Keep up the great work, girls!

Hat Trick
09-08-2008, 12:08 AM
Hey, thanks for the nice welcomes you guys! :)

I made it up early yesterday and today and did my 45 minutes if interval HITT in my elliptical, if you can really call it that... I don't think I follow the rules you are supposed to follow for HITT - I think I just get my heart rate way up there and then don't ever let it get back low enough inbetween...

I had the same problem when I started out doing intervals. I never, ever got low enough. Here's a couple of links that might help. The first one is from Craig Ballantyne (Turbulance Training). He gives a pretty good example of how HIIT is suppose to work. The rest period is suppose to be just that; took me a long time to wrap my head around it! The second link is just information on interval exercise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUV7Xiy2HAQ

http://exercise.about.com/b/2005/04/19/burn-more-calories-with-interval-training.htm

I'm finding that the farther along in the week the harder it is to maintain the HITT intensity... Thinking about taking two days per week off from cardio, or at least taking one day in the middle and doing much lower intensity...

While I think interval workouts are great (and a great timesaver!) I finally realized that I was in a rut w/this too and started changing the intervals up. Sometimes I'll do 1 min. at 15% incline, then back down to maybe a 2% or 3% incline for 1 1/2 mins. then up to the 15% again for like 8-10 rounds. Or I'll walk at 4.5 mph at a 5% incline for 25 or 30 minutes (you should see the 'cals burned' numbers add up when the incline is upped, not to mention your butt will know you've done something different!) Then there's the 'steady state' that I like to do every other week or so. Just to keep my body from going 'oh, you're doing that again'. :)

It's why I'm trying to add yoga in several times a week too. I absolutely stink at stretching. Like, I just don't do it. So doing the yoga adds the stretching and more. I'm a novice at best but I like it. I really like doing it after strength workouts.

Haven't exercised officially today, but I did clean the bathrooms (50 mins), vacuum (60 mins), sweep (60 mins), mop with hoover floormate (60 mins), cut the grass (90 mins) and edge (30 mins).

Um girl, in my book this is a workout!! :yes: No doubt about it! And congrats on your loss -- WTG!

I also tried about 15 mins of yoga. But I was doing one of the pull outs from a magazine and had a hard time following it? I need to get a video or something!

I didnt' know where to start w/yoga either so I browsed around collage video. I bought this one and really, really like it. I has several levels for beginners to more advanced. It is not too hard but def. intense. The instructor cues you constantly about breathing and it has extras on the dvd about yoga and information. I also bought the Firm's 'Power Yoga'. I don't know if it technically qualifies as true yoga; some real yoga folks have called it a 'glorified stretch workout'. I don't know but I like it. I def. feel more flexible from these yoga workouts so I guess they must be doing something!

http://www.collagevideo.com/searchresults.aspx?type=all&search=yoga+conditioning+for+weight+loss

I managed a quick dog walk today; am ready to jump back in full force tomorrow. This is the kid's first full week of school. They are not happy. I must say I rather enjoy the silence while they're away. Glad when they get home and all but . . . :D

pufffin
09-08-2008, 10:00 AM
Hello All! I always seem to be apologising for not posting....Today I am off work sick so I have popped in to see how you are doing. Glad to see some new names! I have not lost any weight in the past week but have stayed stable so I suppose that's OK. I was one run (wog) short of my target last week which irritated me an alarming amount - i didn't realise that I'm becoming obsessive!
I have made myself a mini-goal ticker after our chat about mini-goals. I must say it looks nicely achievable which is encouraging.
I'm rather scared to go outside today - cannot stray too far from "facilities" if you get the drift....maybe this evening. It's a lovely sunny afternoon here in Scotland. This must be summer!
Be good everyone and be happy!

pufffin
09-08-2008, 10:01 AM
By the way Hat Trick - my house is in dire need of your energy - would you like to come and visit soon?

Hat Trick
09-08-2008, 01:00 PM
By the way Hat Trick - my house is in dire need of your energy - would you like to come and visit soon?

LOL!! I sound way more energetic than I really am. I'm pushing the exercising right now because I have more time. Work has been slow but the next several weeks it w/be busier so I'm taking advantage right now. Also, I'm putting energy into working out but then . . . it seems to drastically taper off when it comes to cleaning the house and such. I go in bursts and have gotten things down to a dull, manageable roar since the kids are back in school. During the summer? Um, more like a petrie dish! :D

Hope you feel better soon!

AngelMae
09-08-2008, 02:20 PM
Thanks Hat Trick!! I am going to take a look at that in a minute!

Today I am feeling accomplished already! Another benefit of getting up earlier!
I deep cleaned the whole house, some how it gets super dirty over the weekend. That took me about an hour and a half.
Then I did thirty minutes of strength training and towel streching (something I found on Self.com).

And tonight after dinner I am going to walk my mile, maybe a bit more. I want to try to start doing a mile and a half this week!!

Have a good day everyone!!

Shannon in ATL
09-08-2008, 02:38 PM
Good morning everybody! I did my 45 minute elliptical yesterday and this morning, I also did 50 minutes on the Weider yesterday afternoon. I focused on triceps, shoulders, chest, abs, a little back got thrown in simply because the ab and shoulder exercises cross over a little. Let me tell you, I am totally feeling it in my arms and shoulders today... The first few times on the Weider I didn't really feel an impact, but today is a whole different story... Whew... :lifter:

And, yet again, I think I'm coming down with a cold, or the same sinus infection I've been fighting off for what feels like 6 weeks now might be finally winning... Blah...

Hat Trick - Thanks for the links, and for the elliptical insight. I'm having a hard part with the 'rest period' concept myself... Have to work on that. I get up to 180-185 on my HRM before I notice, which is 95-100% of my estimated target heart rate, and I know way harder than I should be working... Now, I know it isn't over 100% of what I can do, since I didn't pass out or explode or anything, but I need to be careful... ::?:

Claire - Good to see you! Glad you made it through the week, I know it wore you out!

Angel - I have a hard time with yoga workouts on paper, too. www.exercisetv.com has some you can download to computer. I've also purchased used Gaiam videos from those 'previously used DVD' stores before, and a couple from Amazon marketplace. I like the Gaiam ones, the ones I have at least, explain the poses nicely.

Puffin - sorry you don't feel well... tummy upset is the worst kind of sick for me... Hope you feel better soon!

dlphnmomva
09-08-2008, 05:24 PM
good Afternoon everyone!

I found this thread just stumbling around here. I too work out at home or outdoors. I like the scenery better than a gym. My work outs of choice are DVD's , walking, or cycling. my goal nis workout 4-5 days a week and 3 out of the 4 to do 2 work outs a day by doing one in the morning and then one before dinner.

I abasolutely love the Crunch videos especially Fat Burning Pilates and Burn &Firm Pilates. Ellen Barrett does both of them and she is really good.

I also have a collection of Denise austin videos and i really like The Firm system. they do alot of circuit or interval training and it def hurts to squat the day after you do them, lol.

Well i just wanted to give a little background on my workout routines. I hope today nothing comes up so that i am able to go home and do a pilates video and then i have some house cleaning to do that will burn a few extra calories too.

TTYL

Schumeany
09-09-2008, 02:46 AM
Hi All,

I realized I was sort of a drive by poster to this thread. I said Hi and I haven't been back since. But here I am. I have just been busy. We had an incredibly full weekend (But I got my exercise in -- on Saturday at 11:00 pm...yuck). However, despite my whining about late nights on my exercise bike, it is because I work out at home that I could even do that. Made me happy with the flexibility of my choice -- And I felt very smug in a solitary kind of way (since everyone else was sleeping!) when I was done. I also hiked five miles on Sunday, did my resistance work-out and got on the bike again that evening. I just felt so full of energy. I am not sure why. On Monday however, I felt full of...sore muscles. I think it must have been the hiking. There were a lot of tree roots, rocks, etc. on the trail and so it made it pretty challenging.

walking2lose
09-09-2008, 07:37 AM
Hi Dip - welcome!!!

Shu -- Drive bys are welcome!! :rofl:

Shannon -- Sounds like your Weider machine is giving you a pretty great workout. Maybe taking easy though since you're getting sick... hope you're feeling better!

Hi everyone else!

I came home from hockey last night, and it was already 6 pm. I would've had to leave in 15 min to make my Pilates class which is a good 30 min drive. It's a once a week thing that I do with one of my best buds - worked great in summer when school was out, but I just didn't have the energy to drive over last night. I wouldn't have gotten home till past 8:30. So instead, I did a 40 minute run/walk (my "wog") in the neighborhood. It was a BTN day!!! (Better than nothing!! :D)

Hope everyone has a great day.... be healthy!

pufffin
09-09-2008, 09:39 AM
45 minutes down on the beach (2.5 miles) running/walking into the wind and rain on the way back - I thoroughly enjoyed it! I treated myself to an audiobook which I listen to on my i-pod only when exercising - special reward.

Hat Trick
09-09-2008, 10:09 AM
It was a BTN day!!! (Better than nothing!! :D)

Hey, I like this! I've had those kind of days (this Thurs. will probably be one for me; time is tight and a brisk dog walk may be my only exercise that day). I love the BTN expression, cause some days -- that's just the way it is.

Yesterday I took the dog for a walk, did a TM interval and then did the 'Yoga Conditioning for Weight Loss' dvd. I hadn't done it in awhile and forgot how much I liked it. We just got an 'adult education' guide for a local H.S. and they're offering yoga classes; I just might take the beginner one to understand what I'm doing. Of course, it's being offered on Tues nights and Fringe (which premires tonight) is on then . . . ah, decisions, decisions. :)

I just got done a strength workout. Here's a video I found yesterday browsing around. Excellent exercise; you can really feel it (although I think the girl in the video is lifting weight that is a little too heavy for her; she seems to struggle w/form). Hope it's ok that I post links like this? I figure one can never have too many tricks in their exercise bag!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZXv4V_JR8g&feature=related

Shannon in ATL
09-09-2008, 11:25 AM
Good morning everyone - I did my 45 minute elliptical this morning, but my On Demand is still out, so no other workout video... I have the cable box in my car to go exchange at a comcast facility later today... Figure I'll work out with the weider tonight when I get home. DH takes his certification exam tomorrow, so tonight is my last night of staying out of his way while he works, getting the Weider in will be harder after that! I'm thinking about shifting my workout routine to having a Monday night session, at least for football season! :)

dlp - welcome! I've heard a lot of good things about the Denise Austin videos -if I don't get my Exercise TV On Demand back I may be looking for them myself... :)

Schumeany - perfectly okay to just pop in occassionally! I know what you mean with the exercise bike at home - sometimes I don't get to mine until late at night or way early in the morning, couldn't do that at most gyms!

Claire - don't worry about missing the Pilates class, you have a lot going on right now! Good job on getting out there for a 'wog'! And, I'm trying to feel better. It seems like I've had some kind of upper respiratory crud going on for the last six months... I'm ready for it to be cool outside - the hot and humidity sure doesn't help...

Puffin - walking on the beach sounds wonderful... Glad you are feeling better!

Hat - I have that same yoga DVD and have never even taken the plastic wrap off it... I need to get it out and use it. I've been watching the commercials for 'Fringe' and really want to watch it, but I haven't been very invested in network tv the last few years, so don't know if I'll make it... I've been pretty much only watching old tv series on DVD that I was behind on... or, in the case of 'Buffy' that I just rewatched, just wanted to see again... :)

pufffin
09-09-2008, 02:44 PM
Shannon - what is a weider? (Sorry for being stupid)

Shannon in ATL
09-09-2008, 03:10 PM
Puffin, not stupid at all... Weider is a brand name, actually, with lots of products. The one we have is the Weider Max 450 - it is a home gym system that uses those resistance rods, similar to a Bowflex I think. It can do up to 340 pounds of resistance, has a squat bar, a leg section, exercises for just about every body part. I don't know if I can link to it or not, but if you google Weider Max you'll find it - we got the shorter one of the two that doesn't have the extended bench and has the smaller leg attachement. Not enough space for the big one...

AngelMae
09-10-2008, 09:23 AM
Hey everyone! Sounds like everyone has been busy!!

Yesterday I didnt get too much accomplished, I guess it was my BTN day. I managed to do a 15 dance routine DVD that I have and cleaned the house a bit. The weather was terrible here and I guess it just brought my energy level down.

Today though is going to be better. The sun is out and fall is in the air!! This morning I did a 30 min biggest loser DVD and I am planning on going for a hike with my mom.

Good luck today everyone!!

Caly
09-10-2008, 09:52 AM
I feel motivated reading through some of these posts. It's hard for me to go to a gym right now due to financial reasons so getting fit at home would be great. I don't have any equipment or DVD's so it makes it difficult. Anyone have any suggestions?

Shannon in ATL
09-10-2008, 11:35 AM
I did work out last night with on the Weider - did about 50 minutes of bicep/ab/back work with 80 pounds of resistance. That gave me 95 minutes of total work out yesterday. Then, this morning I worked myself into a stress headache over the fact that I still weigh a pound more than I did Friday morning when I weighed this morning, so I stayed in the bed like a lump and didn't exercise at all... I feel terrible now - I've gotten pretty dependent on the morning cardio, I have no energy at all right now...

Hopefully I'll get some in tonight when I get home, even if it is only a 2 minute yoga video. DH has his certification exam this afternoon, so how he does will determine the mood in the household tonight. He has gone from 'not going to pass, what was I thinking signing up for this' to passing several practice exams and feeling on top of the world back down to this mornings 'can't get this one section, won't pass if I don't'. I'm a little anxious about that too. :)

Angel - you did something yesterday, the dance video sound like fun, and cleaning house burns more calories than sitting watching tv in the house! Good job not letting the rainy day bring you all the way down!:carrot:

Caly - a lot of libraries have DVDs for rent, is there one near you? Also, a lot of the cable channels have exercise shows on, they are just often at weird times. I used to record them and watch them on my own schedule. Also, there are a lot of websites that do free online workouts - some are small ones, but a small workout is better than no workout! I have also done calisthenic routines when I've been at home with no equipment or tapes - situps, pushups, lunges, jumping jacks, shadow boxing, that kind of thing, simulated jump rope motion, that kind of thing.

Caly
09-10-2008, 02:52 PM
That's a great idea, Shannon. Thanks :) I do have a library near me so I'll have to check it out. I've noticed some work out shows on TV, but every time I catch them it's like 3 or 4 am, lol. That doesn't help me any. :p But I'll definitely have to check out the library.

pufffin
09-10-2008, 02:58 PM
Thanks Shannon for the info about the machine. It sounds really good! I think I'm going to try to sell my indoor machines though because I just don't use them. If I do anything it's only ever walking/jogging.

Went to the beach again today and earned myself some useful calories so I got an evening meal after all - was greedy this am and used up my allowance by lunchtime! Ther has been a quick drop in weight over the last 2 days - scared to weigh myself tomorrow because there's bound to be a backlash... I'm dying to get to my first mini goal - being "overweight"! 1.2 lbs to go!

Caly if you don't have any equipment/dvd's etc just get outside and walk - it's free. Even when the weather is bad it is bearable if you dress appropriately.

Have fun everyone!

Caly
09-10-2008, 03:21 PM
Yeah, I do sometimes and I should get back into it more. It's just hard because I'm a bit low on the motivation scale. Having someone to walk with would make things easier.

pufffin
09-10-2008, 03:33 PM
You are right, Caly, about it being easier with company. I love it when one of my daughters is home and will come with me, but they always complain that I am too slow! I make do with phoning them afterwards and telling them that I've done it....not that they really want to know!

Shannon in ATL
09-10-2008, 04:00 PM
I think the solo exercising is why I don't walk outside more... Well, that and the fact that it is still a bazillion degrees and humid outside here in GA....

DH and I might start walking once it cools down a little... Hope so. :)

walking2lose
09-10-2008, 09:20 PM
[COLOR="Blue"]Hey, I like this! I've had those kind of days (this Thurs. will probably be one for me; time is tight and a brisk dog walk may be my only exercise that day). I love the BTN expression, cause some days -- that's just the way it is.

]

Ha! Yes, actually I have lots of BTN days, especially lately. My walking buddy (Caly - I wish you had one!) used to walk VERY regularly after school. We aren't doing it now because I'm too pressed for time with coaching hockey. Anyway, we usually pushed quite hard - walked FAST and threw a bit of running in, for at least one hour. BUT... there were some days we just didn't have it... either we were exhausted or pressed for time, so we came up with the BTN days... sometimes just a 15 minute walk or something. Sometimes my BTN might just be 10 push ups and 20 crunches... at least I'm moving!

Caly - welcome! I hope you can get in a routine soon. I think renting dvds from library is an excellent idea. I'm quite frugal (bought my wedding dress for $26.00 on ebay!!) and have bought several dvds at great prices on ebay.

Hat - DH and I really like yoga too. My husband loves the Yoga Zone dvds with Alan Finger. Something about the way Alan explains everything. For a long time I couldn't get DH to do any other yoga (I'm just glad he's doing something), but recently he has acquiesed to try some of the on demand yoga on tv. I think you should try the class. I'd like to get in one when hockey ends.

Angel - Ah, how nice it sounds to go on a fall hike in Maine! Weather like that just makes me want to exercise!

Puffin - Hello, girl!!! I responded so quickly last time I didn't see your posts. Glad to hear you are keeping up the "wogs" :D and are so CLOSE TO A BIG GOAL... let us know when you hit it!!!

Hi Shannon! Feeling any better?? I want to come over and work out on your Weider! :carrot:

I am so proud of myself today... tonight we had a home hockey game. I got home about 6:30, and DH is at band practice. We are toying with the idea of doing a local 5K at the park where where we walk/run - it's at the end of Oct. We are not really in shape for this, but we're still talking about it. Well, I mapped a 5K route in the neighborhood AND TONIGHT I RAN THE WHOLE THING WITHOUT WALKING!!!

I didn't think I could do it, but I just kind of made a decision. I'm not going to walk... I'm going to jog it all...next thing I knew, I had done it!! Woohoo! Wait till I tell DH... :carrot:

Alright, gals... gotta fix some dinner.

Be healthy!

pufffin
09-11-2008, 07:43 AM
Claire-5K without walking! Wow! You are way out of my league! I am very impressed. I expect your hubby will be feeling some competition now! My ambition is to run a mile without walking but at the moment I can barely manage 1 tenth of that. However, I do that 10 times every time I go out and I am stretching it a little bit each week. One fine day.....

Shannon in ATL
09-11-2008, 12:54 PM
Way to go Claire! I don't think I could run an entire 5k if something was chasing me down! :) I do feel better today, though I didn't exercise at all last night... Did do a 20 minute of cardio yoga video, 10 minutes ab & back video, 45 minutes on elliptical. I have the Weider scheduled for this evening if I get home in time... I am enjoying using it, come on over!

Puffin, you get closer to the mile every time you go out!:carrot:

Good day everyone!

walking2lose
09-11-2008, 09:57 PM
Claire-5K without walking! Wow! You are way out of my league! I am very impressed. I expect your hubby will be feeling some competition now! My ambition is to run a mile without walking but at the moment I can barely manage 1 tenth of that. However, I do that 10 times every time I go out and I am stretching it a little bit each week. One fine day.....

Ladies, ladies (Shannon and Puffin) -- thanks so much for the props, but did I mention that my jogging pace is just a wee notch over my walking pace?? :D Still, I am amazed myself that I did it. Deep down I didn't think I could do it, but somehow once I got going ... well, I just kept going. Made me feel a bit young again ;) I had some extra energy yesterday, and I am not sure from whence it came!

Shannon, glad to hear you are feeling better and back to working out.

Puff - hey - I'm sure your wogs are doing you a world of good, and you are getting fitter by the day (we all are... ain't it great??)

I came home from hockey to find my husband just finishing up a yoga dvd. This alone nearly caused me to drop from shock. The topper was when he looked up at me and sweetly said, "I'll go walking with you if you want." WHAT??!! This from a man who I have begged, prodded, cajoled for 7 years to work out with me... I am liking my new work out guy. He seems even more determined to do the 5K now. And he was very impressed at my little run.

So, we went to the park and walked... jogged a little in there... oh, and I stumbled on a root and went down, skinning and bruising my thigh up pretty good.

But still, all in all, a good day. Hope everyone else had a good one too.

Take care, ladies. I'll check in this weekend!

AngelMae
09-12-2008, 03:28 PM
Hey everyone!! Sounds like everyone has been busy!!

Walkingtolose-The fall weather is a great motivator I am finding. I am just hoping that we dont get snow too early this year!! And kudos to your hubby!! Hope your shin is okay!

Well I didnt get much done yesterday. I went on a shopping trip with my family. So no real exercise but I did take a lot of steps.

Today I did 30 min weight lifting and some towel streches. And I went for a mile walk with my little guy in the stroller!

I have only lifted weights 3 times, but I feel like I am getting stronger all ready. I have noticed that I can hold my SO for a lot longer with out my arms getting tired and having to put him down and hes a big boy!! 35 lbs and 37 inches tall!!

Well keep up the good work everyone and have a great weekend!!!

Shannon in ATL
09-12-2008, 04:17 PM
Claire -anything over the walking pace is considered running to me! Might be a slow run, but a run either way! :) Cool about your hubby and the yoga DVD... My DH slid back down to no exercise while he was studying for his test, and missing it by three points isn't likely to get him back in the exercise frame of mind, but we'll see. He is rescheduled to take it again, so he is getting back up and going forward. Sorry about your fall - hope you are okay!:hug:

Angel - sounds like you had a good couple of days, too! The walking with your son must be fun... I never got to do anything like that with my stepson, and I wish now that I had. He is 3 1/2 now, so I am getting to go play on the playground with him, and boy, that is its own workout!

I got out of a seminar early today, so decided to workout when I got home, even though Friday is traditionally my off day. I took Wed off, so i have already had my break... :)

I did a 20 minute cardio yoga video (I really like the guy who leads it - Tom Morley. He doesn't take himself too seriously...), a 10 minute ab shaper video that turned out to be mostly pilates, and 45 minutes on the elliptical. Now, I'm going to eat a little lunch and get a little rest before DH and DSS get home...

Have a good day everybody!

AngelMae
09-14-2008, 02:10 PM
Shannon-Yes taking little boys to the playground is a workout!! I am glad that I am keeping up a little better now, but cant wait for next summer. Hopefully I will have so much energy that I wear the little guy out!!

Today is my off day so nothing as far as workout goes but a lot of house cleaning and some grocery shopping! Yesterday I went for a walk and cleaned. Not a whole lot but its the weekend and with SO home we do a lot together!

Well hope everyone has a good week!!

walking2lose
09-14-2008, 02:13 PM
Glad you are feeling better, Shannon!

Friday and yesterday were a bust for me... On Friday we went to dinner at friends, so there was no time to workout. I had to jump in the shower and leave as soon as I got off hockey practice. We didn't get home from our social outing until 1:30am! Needless to say, considering I was already exhausted from my week, I was rather worthless yesterday. I had a lot of things I NEEDED to do - housecleaning, laundry, errands - energy was low and exercise didn't happen.

I'm disappointed I have skipped two days of workouts, so I plan to have a good workout later today with DH.

Hope it's been a good weekend for all...have a healthy day, ladies!

walking2lose
09-14-2008, 02:13 PM
Hi Angel - we cross posted! :)

Shannon in ATL
09-14-2008, 06:01 PM
Good afternoon -
I did 30 minutes on the elliptical yesterday and a 10 minute ab/back video, same one I normally do. Today I did 40 minutes on the Weider and 60 minutes on the stationary bike, to mix it up a little. About to take a hot shower... :)

Angel & Claire - I've firmly decided that house cleaning is its own exercise! :)

Have a good rest of the weekend everyone!

Kelly46
09-14-2008, 09:09 PM
Hi ladies. I do a dvd every morning called exercise with Jackie. It's a great one on one weight training tape. Not too hard! But you can really feel the burn/pain the next day. Anyway, I've been doing this in the morning and heading to the gym at night to treadmill an hour. I really wish I had a treadmill at home or even a bike. Sigh.

walking2lose
09-14-2008, 09:57 PM
Hi Kelly - welcome to our little thread! Great job on the dvd! I would love to have some equipment at home too, but I make do with dvds and then walking/running (s-l-o-w running)/biking outdoors (weather permitting).

Tonight DH and did a 30 minute jog - NO STOPPING!!! I was crawling along... he put quite a gap on me -- BUT I did NOT walk!!!! Woohoo! I'm going to do crunches and push ups before bed.

I'm really not sure where this weekend went - I'm not ready for this week. I have 3 hockey games, so I'm going to be having LONG days. Will do my best to get some exercise in and eat well.

Have a healthy Monday, ladies!

walking2lose
09-15-2008, 08:47 PM
Nothing for me today, ladies. Just got home from a hockey game and ate.... now I have to get ready for school tomorrow and bed at a decent time.

Hope everyone else got a work out in...

Shannon in ATL
09-15-2008, 09:41 PM
I did 45minutes on the elliptical this morning - after yesterday my arms and legs were somewhat sore, so it was reasonably low intensity. I'm about to go do a yoga stretching video to try to loosen my arms up a little... unless I change my mind by the time I get to the bedroom... :)

See everyone tomorrow!

ezziriah
09-15-2008, 10:19 PM
hi everyone I've always been an at home ezerciser. I have an older treadmill and i have the newest firm dvds with the weights

AngelMae
09-16-2008, 11:46 AM
Hello Ezziriah!! I have an old treadmill too!! We actually got it from the take or leave pile from our dump!! So it was FREE!!

Yesterday I took my mile walk. Unfortunatley that is all I got done, I had a million errands to run and I ran out of hours in the day! Today should be better I have nothing on my schedule except my workouts!

Have a good tueday everyone!

dlphnmomva
09-16-2008, 11:49 AM
hi everyone I've always been an at home ezerciser. I have an older treadmill and i have the newest firm dvds with the weights

I absolutely love "The Firm" it really works and boy does it make you sore.

I did not excersise again yesterday. Not enough hours in a day for me. I do not have anything to do tonight except workout and cook dinner so i WILL do it today.

Hat Trick
09-16-2008, 12:10 PM
Hi you guys! I haven't posted in a week or so. It's been pretty busy here. Oh, and I joined Facebook as yet another way to keep in touch w/my college daughter and well, Facebook is bascially a time-eater! :rolleyes:

Been doing well w/the exercise. I was exercising 6 days/wk but decided to combine my strength w/outs w/yoga and cut it back to 5 days/wk. More exercise per day but less days per week. I think my body is liking having two days in a row off.

Just got done some wts. and that 'Yoga for Weight Loss Conditioning' dvd I have. Boy, that yoga dvd is great. Really makes you aware of your body and oddly enough, I feel taller when I'm done. Hmmm, maybe I should measure a before and after? lol

Hope everyone is getting their 'moves' in. :) Have a great day all!!

Shannon in ATL
09-16-2008, 12:28 PM
Good morning!

Welcome ezziriah!

Angel - kudos on the walk!

Claire - you are really hitting hard with the jogging... Even with doing 45 minutes on the elliptical every day I'm not sure I could jog outside in the real world for 30 straight minutes...

dlp - you can do it tonight! :)

Hat Trick -I'm also working out six days a week, I've been thinking about consolidating down to 5 as well. I currently do cardio all six, strength train for three, try to do a yoga video at least three of the days (sometimes more, I've started using it as stretching after weights...), do an ab or pilates video the other three. How often do you do cardio work?

I did make it to the 20 min cardio yoga video and a 9 min pilates ab video last night, this morning I did a 10 min ab/back video and 45 minutes on the elliptical.

I have a weight bag and am thinking of working it into the routine, though I don't know where I would find time... Do you guys think I could put in working with the weight bag in place of the elliptical a couple of times per week and get good results?

Have a great day all!

ezziriah
09-17-2008, 10:46 PM
I absolutely love "The Firm" it really works and boy does it make you sore.

I did not excersise again yesterday. Not enough hours in a day for me. I do not have anything to do tonight except workout and cook dinner so i WILL do it today.

I got an email last night about the new firm system its called the wave and it looks really fun. It has this curve like step thingie that you have to balance on while doing the workout and it looks like it would really workout the core. I'm thinking of getting it my abs went to crap when i had an emerg c section 2 years ago

Shannon in ATL
09-17-2008, 10:49 PM
Good evening, ladies...

Last night I did 65 minutes on the Weider and 10 minutes of yoga, this morning I did my 45 minutes on the elliptical & 20 mins of cardio yoga tonight.

ezziriah
09-17-2008, 10:59 PM
I didn't workout today. My back is giving me some issues. Ever since I had my epidural during the labor of my 2 year old I've had lower back issues. Not to mention my 2 year old keeps getting in our bed at night. So,I didn't workout today but,I did walk 1 mile yesterday! At a local park there is a trail walking area and it even tells you the precentage of the incline my calf muscles are still sore. I'm gonna try and get some rest and get up early and do a mile on the treadmill if not anything else

Shannon in ATL
09-17-2008, 11:04 PM
ezziriah - My 3 1/2 year old step son still comes in and wakes us up from 1-8 times per night, so I can understand how tired you are! :) We didn't move him from crib to bed until after his third birthday, and he just won't stay in the bed the whole night... At least now he stops climbing in the bed with us and fighting us to go back, he just wakes us up to tuck him back into his bed...

That park sounds pretty cool!

Hat Trick
09-19-2008, 04:58 PM
My back is giving me some issues. Ever since I had my epidural during the labor of my 2 year old I've had lower back issues.

After my youngest (3rd kid) was born I also had back problems. I had problems w/the epidural and felt like I was 100 years old every morning getting out of bed. This may sound dumb but . . . we got a new mattress and my back stopped hurting. Our old mattress was only about 10 yrs old but I guess it just wasn't very good. The new mattress is much firmer and I haven't had any back problems since. We went to a store called Magic Sleeper (the name sounds hokey but we go there because they know mattresses and don't try to sell you something just because it's expensive. They offer alot of information. ) Just a thought.

I've been sticking OP w/my exercising. Did a TM interval and some wts. this morning. I wanted to do yoga again but I ran out of time because my daughter called from college and we talked for nearly 2 hours. :eek: Hey, that beats yoga any day! ;) Hope everyone is doing well.

ckatgo
09-20-2008, 08:51 AM
Hello Group!

What strong dedicated women everyone is! wow...I have been flipping back thru the thread because like everyone I workout at home (when I do workout). I am hoping to get back into workingout in the mornings. I have enough equipment, I have yoga mats, dumbbells, step bench, elipical machine, stability ball......I just don't know what to do with them. The elipical machine is pretty obvious, but the other stuff?

Does anyone have a good recommendation?

Hat Trick
09-20-2008, 11:23 AM
Hi ckatgo! I have alot of the same equipment you have, except the elliptical machine. I have a treadmill.

I usually use the TM 4x/wk and do intervals on it, along w/some steady state stuff. You can do intervals on your elliptical. Here's a link that gives the basics of what interval workouts are all about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUV7Xiy2HAQ

Here's some links to stability ball workouts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VH1hzqXqNqk&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it8Bn0MVJ4M&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IbDhaWDLu0

Here's a link to some good info on 5 fat burning exercises.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChBkToHt-F4

Do a youtube search on weight/dumbbell exercises. TONS of stuff out there. With anything, though, if you're not used to exercising take it slow in the beginning. Ease into it and allow your muscles to acclimate instead of going gung-ho. You'll end up too sore to move for days - this from someone who's been there and done that! :)

walking2lose
09-21-2008, 12:52 PM
Hey Ladies!

Sorry to hear about all the back problems. While I can't relate to that, I can sure relate to just being plain old tired... and I don't even have any kids waking me up at night - I'm just too busy!

I only worked out ONCE since Monday. Pitiful. I had 3 hockey games, and I just did not have time OR energy. Every day was a 10-12 hour work day... ugh. Then, toward the end of the week, I started with a sore throat. I know I've been running ragged since school started, but I was trying to avoid getting sick. By Friday I was pretty miserable, and yesterday I felt sore, achy, and just plain lousy.

So, I did a short yoga routine with DH (about 30 min). It was all I could do. He then went running, and I REALLY wanted to go too. Today I am feeling quite a bit better. I'm going to spend a couple hours grading papers, and then I plan to at least do an hour brisk walk. We'll see how I end up feeling.

Have a great day, girls!

walking2lose
09-21-2008, 12:55 PM
P.S. I forgot to add that I am down 2 lbs. since school started! Yea!! I guess I've been too busy to overeat, even though my work outs have been inconsistent.

Oh, and Shannon, I made my green drink yesterday, and I swear it helped make me feel better. I have the ingredients to make it again later today!

AngelMae
09-21-2008, 02:41 PM
Hey Ladies!! Sorry to hear about the back pain but I understand I have a lot of back pain as well. I just usually take a few Aleve and I am good to go!

Well this week was really busy but long. I managed to walk three days this week. We stayed in a hotel this week and I used the exercise room there!! I forgot how nice it was to work out in a gym!!

Have a good week ladies! Keep up the good work!

Shannon in ATL
09-21-2008, 10:09 PM
Good evening everyone!

Welcome ckatgo! i don't know who your cable provider is, but I've had a lot of luck with exercise routines on exercise tv. They also have a website and workouts can be downloaded to DVD or personal computer. And, Hat is correct in starting slow- I added in some strength training, really upped my exercise a lot in the last two weeks and feel beaten down this weekend. I could barely lift my arms up over my head on Thursday... So, be careful! I find it is easier for me to overdo here at home because no one is watching...

Ezziriah, sorry about your back trouble! I haven't had kids, but I was having pretty bad back problems a few years ago, and a new mattress solved them for me, too. Hope you feel better!

Hat - glad you got to have a good long chat with your daughter. You are correct, that does beat the exercise! :)

Claire - congrats on the 2 pounds! I know what you mean about being too busy to overeat - I don't want to keep having crisis, but it does keep me distracted from my snack mix! I have to get the stuff to try the green drink...it sounds great! I could use an energy boost right now!

Angel - good job on the walking! I bet it was nice to work out in a real gym... I'm going on vacation the second week in October and the place we are staying has a health club. I'm looking forward to that!

I did 45minutes on the elliptical Friday, 45 minutes yesterday with a 10 minute ab video, 45 minutes today with a 20 min cardio yoga. No extra stuff yet, still recovering from the overwork of earlier in the week...

Have a great weekend everyone!

AngelMae
09-24-2008, 02:23 PM
Where is everyone!! I think our thread is dying down!

Well I walked everyday so far this week!! I am going to Ohio with my friend for a few days and am going to try to get some sort of work out in while I am gone!

I think I need to start doing a more, I am not seeing the scale moving a whole lot! Which is a downer but I am not going to let it get me down too much. I am just going to up my workouts!!

Good luck everyone! Have a good week!

Shannon in ATL
09-24-2008, 03:07 PM
Hey Angel! I've noticed that this thread has good participation days and bad days... Much like my exercise days... :) Good job on the walking! Hope you have a great trip!

I didn't post again yesterday because I was the last one to post... But, now, I can post again!

I've been okay with the exercise - I've walked on my elliptical 45 minutes every day, did 10 mins of ab exercises & 50 minutes of Weider exercises Monday, 10 minute of ab exercise yesterday, plan on 20 minutes of yoga tonight, but we'll see... That may not happen... Trying to get the exercise into a balance so I don't feel like I'm exercising all the time...

streudel423
09-24-2008, 05:09 PM
Wow, I started this thread and haven't posted in a while!! :o Glad to see it has taken off. :smug:

I've been doing a walking program I got from Prevention magazine. It's basically intervals and is supposed to be great for waist-line weight loss. I've only been doing it for about two weeks. The magazines says to give it at least a month. I've been rotating between the 40 min and 60 min program.

My mom has been utilizing the program for about three weeks now and her jeans/pants are fitting MUCH better! She's been at a stand-still for a couple months, but this walking plan seems to be breaking through that plateau. So, I'm hoping to see a difference, too.

Today, I took a walk outside for a change. Tomorrow, I'll be starting back on this interval walking program on the treadmill.

Have a great day!

walking2lose
09-24-2008, 08:15 PM
Hey Streudel -- glad to see you back!!! We have the coolest looking thread (not sure how you did that little border). I've been wondering how you've been. The Prevention program sounds great. You and I are right about the same weight and goal... we should race to 135 :-)

Shannon and Angel - yeah, the thread has good days and bad... and Shannon, like you, that sounds much like my workout days! Whatever bug I've had has turned into a full blown sinus infection and burning chest cold. Lots of painful coughing. I am not at a place teaching-wise or coaching-wise where I have the luxury to take off work, so I've been limping through the week. No exercise, but at least my appetite is pretty dulled from being sick.

Chat with you girls later. Take care and be healthy!

Shannon in ATL
09-26-2008, 03:43 PM
Hi ladies!

Streudel - welcome back! :) The Prevention program does sound pretty cool...

Claire - hope you feel better! I know I barely had the energy to get out of bed there for a while, much less exercise, when I felt so bad...

I took yesterday off from exercise, did 45 mins oe elliptical today, did make my 20 mins of yoga Wed and did much better with the poses than I normally do. I was pretty proud of myself!

Just found out the DHs uncle has been taken to the ER, 76 years old with cancer, so am waiting to see what is going on. Could be a bad weekend here this weekend...

walking2lose
09-26-2008, 11:04 PM
Hey girls!

It's FRIDAY... finally!!! I limped through the week; I have been quite sick but just didn't have time to take a sick day, and it was a big week for coaching (big game today). I must get lots of rest this weekend and shake this sinus thing. That's my plan, and I'm sticking to it. My appetite is still puny - the only bonus of being sick. I will walk this weekend and maybe yoga- don't know if I'll have energy for much else.

Shannon - sorry to hear about DH's uncle... hope everything is ok!

Everyone else - have a fantastic and HEALTHY weekend!

walking2lose
09-29-2008, 08:17 PM
Hey everyone,

Anyone working out today? I spent the weekend truly recovering and resting - I had a really nasty bug of some sort that laid me low for over a week. I continued to go to work and push myself through long days, so I'm sure that didn't help my immune system fight it off.

I FINALLY feel better but a bit weak since I didn't do any significant exercise for about a week. I did an hour walk/jog (my "wog"), but it was mostly walking. My eating has been good. I made a veggie curry in the crockpot - good comfort food. I'm going to go have a little right now!

Our thread is s-l-o-w... hope everyone is working out and being healthy!

AngelMae
09-29-2008, 09:52 PM
Hey Walking2lose, I am here. I too have had a little bug this weekend and I am feeling a lot better today! Glad to hear that you got your wogging in!!

Today I walked/jogged on my treadmill for 15 mins. Its really, really hard to breathe when your nose is plugged and the motor in my treadmill is going so the speeds are really off. But I got something in on it today. I also did 30 mins of some free weights lifting.

Good luck to everyone this week!!

Shannon in ATL
09-30-2008, 01:11 PM
Sorry for not posting the last few days, with DSS, DHs uncle in the hospital & the gas shortage in Atlanta I was running around a lot...

I didn't exercise at all Saturday - I was just flat out lazy. DSS woke us up three times Friday night to get tucked back into bed and I swear every time he came in I had just managed to fall back asleep from the time before... :( I did do 45 minutes on the elliptical Sunday, 45 minutes elliptical + 20 min cardio yoga + 10 min ab exercise + 12 min kickboxing (well, shadow kickboxing, really) Monday, 37 min weight training + 30 min elliptical this AM, so I made my goal of 1800 minutes in September... :) I am scheduled for vacation for a week in October, so don't know what I'll set the October goal to be. Though, if we don't get gas here soon I won't be driving anywhere...

Claire - glad you are feeling better! DHs uncle was diagnosed with congestive heart failure. We are supposed to meet with the doctors this week to see what all that involves.

Angel - good job on working out when you didn't feel great! Just be careful, don't push too hard and make yourself sicker. :)

walking2lose
09-30-2008, 08:25 PM
Angel - Great job... I agree with Shannon... don't overdue. It's ok just to do something small (better than nothing, right?)

Shannon - You are doing so awesome - at goal (!!!) -- so I think you can have an occasional lazy day off. As long as you don't sit back on your laurels and gain it all back, a rest day can actually be GOOD. So sorry to hear about your uncle. Will he be a candidate for any interventions? A bypass maybe? They can do such amazing things these days for cardiac problems, but I know that is a scary diagnosis for you and your husband.

We had a game today, so I just got home. Will have to be satisfied with some crunches, push ups, and stretching. I have a ton of papers that I must grade!

Busy week... glad to see the thread is still going. Take care, ladies!

AngelMae
09-30-2008, 09:13 PM
Hey ladies!

Today I did a 30 min dance/aerobic video that I found on the web. I wanted to try something different!! It was fun but a bit challenging, I am not the best at dancing but I think I am going to try it again sometime this week. I am trying to find as many videos as I can before winter comes!! Walking in the cold and snow isnt all that appealing to me!!

Have a good night everyone! Keep up the good work!!

Shannon in ATL
09-30-2008, 09:20 PM
Wow my arms are sore tonight... It was my first morning today of my new planned routine - I'm going to cut my ellipitical down to 30 mins on three days per week and work o the Weider those days. I may even do some alternate cardio on those morning instead of elliptical, maybe kickboxing. I really enjoyed what I did with that last night.

Well, enjoyed the heck out of the Weider this morning, felt all invigorated when I was done, used better form than ever, and man oh man my arms hurt... A good hurt, but hurt nonetheless... :)

walking2lose
09-30-2008, 10:53 PM
I want a Weider...:D

Shannon in ATL
10-01-2008, 05:45 PM
Claire, I never thought I would like it, but then DH pushed for it and I got excited. I'm enjoying it a lot.

Of course, 34 hours later and I'm still stiff, so we will see if I love it enough to get out of bed for it in the morning! :) Though, I don't blame it completely, I did some shadowboxing Monday night and realize now I might have been a little too vigorous with that...

walking2lose
10-01-2008, 06:56 PM
Girl, you must be getting buff! Way to go on all those great workouts -- even if you did over do it a tad...I think we would consider investing in a Weider if we had space, but we just would have no where to put it :-(

I am beginning to feel downright slothful... between being so sick last week and so blasted busy because of field hockey, my exercise routine is really pitiful. Our game was canceled today (we were halfway there and had to turn around), so I'm home earlier than expected. I'm really trying to muster energy to work out. As much as I love the hockey, I am so ready for it to be over, so I can have some "me" time and WORK OUT time back!

Anyway, just wanted to say hello!

ezziriah
10-01-2008, 08:42 PM
I joined Netflix about a week ago and I got the Biggest loser workout today and it has 4 workouts you can do and I do 2 of them and I'm in love with these workouts. It kicked my butt but I'm in love

AngelMae
10-01-2008, 09:02 PM
Hey Ladies!!

Shannon- My SO has something like a weider in the basement and I really think I am going to start using it soon!!

Ezziriah- I have one of the Biggest Loser workouts too and I love it. It really does kick your butt!!

Today I did 30 mins of my Biggest Loser workout, the kick boxing part of it!! And my little legs are sore!! I did 30 mins with my free weights!! I really, really think that lifting is my favorite thing to do now. I really love that I can see some of my muscles. I cannot wait to get the fat off so they are more noticable!!

Have a great night ladies!! Keep up the good work!!

Shannon in ATL
10-03-2008, 12:55 PM
Claire - I don't know if buff is the right word, but I'm liking the results so far! :) DH is still working on his certification exam, so I find myself filling my empty time while he studies with exercise... How long does the field hockey season last? I don't think I would have enough energy to exercise with as much as you have going on either...

Ezziriah - I tried a Biggest Loser routine on my video on demand on Monday night, and I stopped five minutes in because it was beating me down... Way to go at getting through two of them and loving them! :)

Angel - you should definitely use the equipment you have, though, take it from me - make sure you don't put on so much resistance that you can't complete the entire range of motion of the exercise... You'll regret that if you do, and teach yourself bad habits you then have to unlearn... :) I really enjoy mine, especially now that I use it the right way...:o

I did 45 minutes on the elliptical on Wed, can't remember if I posted that last or not, yesterday I did 30 mins on the elliptical, 50 mins on the Weider, legs and abs this time, then I was able to get the screen off the window so I could get the hose pipe in from outside and was able to fill up base of my weight bag with water so I could do 10 mins of kickboxing that actually had some impact instead of hitting and kicking into the air! :) That was fun, and worked out a lot of frustration. :devil: Today is my off exercise day so I'll stretch a little when I get home, but that will be it.

Good weekend all!

AngelMae
10-06-2008, 03:26 PM
Hey ladies!!

Well on Wednesday of last week I did something to my hip. So I decided to take a few days off the let it get back to normal. And I am finally good!!

Yesterday me and my friends cleaned their garage and set up some exercise equipment (most of which we got for free)!! So I had to clean the whole garage yesterday and then when we were finished I used the stuff we set up. I walk/jogged on the treadmill for 30 mins, used the weight bench for leg exercises for 20 mins and rode the bike for a 5 min cool down!! It felt like I went to a "real" gym!!

Today I did 45 mins of free weights at home.

Keep up the good work girls!!

Shannon in ATL
10-06-2008, 03:39 PM
Hey there ladies!

First, DH passed his test, so is going to want to hang around with me more in the evenings, so I have to get more creative on my workout time! :) And, I have to start prodding him back into exercising!

Saturday I did 50 minutes on the Weider: shoulder, chest and back exercises, 15 minutes of high intensity kickboxing. Sunday I did 45 mins on the elliptical, 20 mins of cardio yoga and 20 mins of kickboxing. This morning I slept late so am exercising when I get home. I'm targeting 50 minutes of arm and ab on teh Weider, 30 minutes of slow cardio on the elliptical, maybe 20ish minutes of kickboxing because I have some repressed stress to pound out! :)

Angel - good job! The setup sounds great!

AngelMae
10-07-2008, 08:10 PM
Shannon-Congrats to your DH! Thanks the setup is great! I really enjoy it because it is with my friends so if I do something that makes me look stupid, I dont care, they are my friends we have a laugh and carry on!! And it is another thing that holds me accountable for my exercise!

Today I did a walk/jog for 30 mins on the treadmill. I did some leg exercises and rode the bike for a 10 min cool down.

Have a great Tuesday night!

walking2lose
10-07-2008, 09:45 PM
Yes, Shannon, congrats to DH! I'm sure you'll still get your workouts in!

Angel and Shannon - good job to both of you on working out. I'm still ashamed at how little I'm doing. I am really in need of a break from hockey... we still have another MONTH to go! Whew.

Alright, gotta go watch the debate...

AngelMae
10-08-2008, 09:33 PM
Hey ladies! Today I walked outside for 30 mins. It was such a gourgeous day here. And tonight I did some weight training. I went in the basement and used my SO's setup!

Have a great Wednesday night everyone!!

Shannon in ATL
10-08-2008, 10:57 PM
Hey ladies -
Claire, don't worry, you'll get back in the swing once hockey settles down, I have no doubt. Trying to pack too much in before then would just wear you out and run the risk of getting you sick again. You have to work hard to stay healthy when surrounded by kids with germs as I remember! :) I just glanced back and saw where you were asking about my DHs uncle - I don't know if he will qualify for any kind of intervention or not. They said he was likely to just wind down, get more and more out of breath as fluid built up, as long as they could get in and drain it he will likely have at least a year, if he doesn't do anything crazy. Of course, today he left for a hunting trip to Colorado - said it had been planned for months and he went every year, so as long as he could stand he was going to go on the trip. We'll see how he is when he comes back... I had to watch the debate too last night... (not talking about it, just acknowledging that I watched it... ;) )

Angel - you are doing great with the walking and the weights! You go girl! :)

I didn't exercise yesterday, had a physical yesterday morning and DSS last night,. I did do 50 minutes of weider (legs), 30 minutes of kickboxing and 30 minutes of slow steady cardio today. Tomorrow was going to be my rest day, but since i took yesterday tomorrow will be intense cardio. I'm leaving on Monday to go on vacation for a week with my family, and while the condo has a health club I'm not holding a lot of hope at making it there every day. Plus, our dinners out always involve desserts... My first test of the new, healthier eating Shan. :)

Things were so much better here the last few days with the test out of the way... :carrot:

Have a great night everyone!

AngelMae
10-10-2008, 08:35 PM
Hey everyone!!

Shannon- Have a great trip!! I am sure that you will do just fine!!

Today I did some weight lifting for 45 mins and a 10 min jog on the treadmill. I would have liked to go a bit longer but I was pressed for time! Tomorrow is supposed to be my rest day but I didnt do anything Thursday so I think that I will head to the garage for some good cardio!!

Have a great weekend ladies!!

Shannon in ATL
10-10-2008, 08:38 PM
Thanks Angel! I'm looking forward to the downtime...

I did do cardio on the elliptical on Thursday, actually tried HIIT, and think I did it right this time - I found that 'one more step and I'm going to fall over' point... 30 mins of that and I was worn out!
Today I did 55 minutes of Weider: back, chest & shoulder, 30 mins of kickboxing (accidental HIIT again...), 35 minutes of leisurely cooldown on stationary bike.
We have DSS this weekend, so we will see what happens there...
Good weekend all!

AngelMae
10-20-2008, 03:29 PM
Wow it has been a while since anyone posted!!

Well I have been exercising but not as much as I know I should be. So I bought "Winning By Losing" By Jillian Micheals and am following her circuit workouts. Today I did a 35 min circuit and am hoping, no I am going to get in a 45 min walk since it is so nice outside!!

Hope everyone is doing great! :)

beth1954
10-22-2008, 10:52 AM
I have a knee replacement in the future......don't know exactly when, I'm just putting it off as long as I can. I would like to lose weight fast, but I don't know if I can. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Also, it causes a problem for me with exercise. All I have at home is a recumbant bike and I've been getting on that quite a bit. Swimming is out of the question. It's too expensive, and refuse to let anyone see my body in that way. I don't even let my daughter see my body that well.

Any suggestions on what other kinds of exercises I could do that aren't weight-bearing? I could do a little weight training, but don't know where to start on that......
Thanks,
Beth:ebike:

princess2323
10-22-2008, 04:36 PM
i recently discovered this thread ---uh --- like today-- anyway i too do all of my working out at home as its hard to workout outside with a baby ---anyway=== i've ;been doing the 30 day shred and i'm on like whatever day my cursor says at the moment===
and i recently ordered jillian's "winning by losing"---angelmae--- how is that going for you --- i'd be interested to know how others like that workout ===

i also have all of the biggest loser workouts _--1 &2 and the cardio and power sculpt ones--- i havent used them yet but i have checked them out through the library before i purchased them so i know i'll like them when i start working out to them
---lets see i also have billy blanks tae bo elite boot camp set and leslie sansones' four fast miles and an elliptical --a stepper ---and some hand weights

so my thing right now is just figuring out a workout pattern that i can stick to--suggestions would be great --- oh and i've really only gotten back into working out within the past month

AngelMae
10-23-2008, 09:47 PM
Princess2323-I really enjoyed reading the book and the two circuits that I completed really kicked my butt. I checked my HRM at one point and it said that my HR was 215. So I had to take it back just a notch but I really like how she sets the circuits up!
I have The Biggest Loser 2 workout DVD too and that really can kick your butt to. I have a 2 yr old so I know it can be hard to find workout time, but I usually do it while my little guy takes a nap. I tried for a while to get up earlier and do it in the morning but I am just not a morning person and I figured as long as I am getting in a workout it really dosent matter what time I do it! Good luck!

Shannon in ATL
10-24-2008, 05:37 PM
Wow, I feel like I've been gone forever...

I made it through my week of vacation at the same weight I was when I left... Yay! I did exercise all but two days of vacation - one day while I was there and the day we drove back. I've exercised all but today since I got back home, so I'm trying hard to keep on track! :) I'm not going to make my goal for October, but part of that is because I've tried shorter HIIT routines the last couple of weeks so where I would have done an hour+ those days I've done 30-40 minutes. And I've taken a couple of extra days off... :o

How is everyone else doing? How is your foot doing Angel?

Welcome Beth & Princess!

princess2323
10-27-2008, 01:01 PM
thanx --shannon

lets see i'm about to start level 3 of the 30 day shred
and i started the biggest loser the workout 1 -- that was great i loved the workout and was surprised at how quickly the time flew by === didnt finish the cool down since baby threw a big fit but did do the low impact cardio workout on it so hoping to get day 2 done tonight---
my knee has been acting up since yesterday-- but feels a lot better today--- maybe just need to take it easier on the knees with these workouts---

AngelMae
10-27-2008, 08:39 PM
Shannon-The foot is much, much better. I am glad to be able to walk again!!

Today I did a 45 min Circuit!! Thats it for formal exercise but I did get around to cleaning the car today and I worked up a sweat so I guess that might count too!!

walking2lose
10-27-2008, 08:55 PM
Hi ladies,

Sounds like all of YOU are doing well... even great! Lots of exercise and even getting through vacations without gaining (yay, Shannon!)

I am still in the hockey rut, but I only have one week left, and I have recommitted to doing better with food and exercise. I did long walks over the weekend, and tonight I'll do some floor work - pushups, etc.

I plan to be back here posting full swing in about a week... when I reclaim some time for ME. Can't wait.

Keep up all the workouts girls... you're my inspiration!

Shannon in ATL
10-27-2008, 09:54 PM
Princess - you are rocking along with the 30 day shred! Woo hoo! I have to admit I've looked at some of those BL & shred videos on 'On Demand' and haven't made it past the intro of any of them... You go! And, that is a beautiful baby in your avatar! :)

Angel -cleaning the car sounds good to me! Glad your foot is better...

Hey there Claire! So almost done with hockey? That will be a nice break for you, I know! I'm excited that you got time in for walking this weekend with all of that going on!

I posted last on Friday, which I took as an exercise free day... I did do 30 min HIIT on the elliptical Saturday, 30 minute kickboxing/30 minute elliptical Sunday, 10 min ab workout & 45 min elliptical today - sort of HIIT, sort of not - kept at it for all 45 minutes when I realized my heart rate wasn't going where i wanted it.. Tomorrow AM the vision is 35 minute Weider, 30 min cardio. We'll see how that works out! :)

AngelMae
10-28-2008, 09:30 PM
Thanks Shannon, with a 2 yr my car gets kinda messy from time to time!!

Today I did a 60 min circuit and then went for a 30 min walk outside. It was sooooo gourgeous here today that I just couldnt stay inside!!

Have a great night ladies! :)

princess2323
10-29-2008, 02:22 PM
thanx shannon-- thats my baby at like 1 or 2 months he'll be 9 months in little over a week---

anyway --- update ---
lets see i am starting level 3 of the 30 day shred today--- i missed a day so i would have started yesterday but didnt want to do both level 2 and 3 in one day---
--i also did day 2 of the biggest loser 1 yesterday-so it was the power sculpting day of the workout -- its a really good workout and i'm amazed at how quickly it goes ---bob harper is amazing---

--oh i recently bought jillian's "winning by losing" its a 5 disc set but let me tell you skimming through it ---it looked great---so looking forward to starting that up in a few weeks---

besides 30 day shred with the biggest loser one is enough of a workout--- for now-- anyway==

oh and i bought "the firm" set since i heard it was supposed to be good so looking forward to trying that out in a few weeks or on an off day when i want an extra workout thrown in there--- as well as a trampoline-- ya i'm a dork--- hahah

Shannon in ATL
10-29-2008, 04:08 PM
Hey there ladies!

I'm proud of myself this week, yesterday and today I changed my alarm clock to sleep in and not exercise, then I just sat there awake for a few minutes and made myself get up and just get it over with! For some reason I have not been feeling the exercise vibe at 6:30 am this week at all... :) Yesterday I dad 30 minutes on the Weider, 20 min kickboxing, 10 min slow elliptical. Today, 30 min HIIT non the elliptical. "An Affair to Remember" was on cable, so I watched that while I worked out. I love that movie! :)

Angel - I'm jealous that you got outside! It was way too cold outside down here for me... As I found out when I stood in line for 4 hours today in 35 degrees for early voting... I can only now feel my toes again!

Princess - I've heard good things about The Firm set. Let me know how you like it! And, I would love love love a mini-tramp but I've just flat run out of equipment space...

Good day everyone!

princess2323
10-29-2008, 04:11 PM
oh my excuse is that it totally folds up and fits easily under the couch or something i can take the legs off and just slide it under --- i'm very limited too---i'm currently using my dining room to store my elliptical and hand weights and then doing my dvd workouts in the living room--- we only have one tv at the moment---

Shannon in ATL
10-31-2008, 01:20 PM
Princess - sliding the tramp under the couch is cool... Hmm... I may have to find one like that...

I have to confess I haven't exercised in two days. Yesterday I took as my one per week off day because I had some knee pain from standing on my feet for three hours in the wrong shoes, last night I didn't get home until almost midnight and just couldn't get out of the bed early to workout this morning... I haven't taken two days off in a row in over six months... I'm feeling a little guilty. I am taking my stepson trick-or-treating tonight, but he is only 3 1/2, so we won't do enough walking to make up for the exercise deficit... I swear I'll get back on track tomorrow... :(

AngelMae
11-03-2008, 04:58 PM
Well the weekend was my days "off" but I still tried to move as much as possible. I cooked a lot on sunday and did my cleaning on saturday.

Today I did a 45 min circuit and a 10 min pilates cool down. I feel really good today, I didnt really want to work out but I knew that after I did I would feel really great. So I am glad that I did it!!

Shannon in ATL
11-04-2008, 01:50 PM
Hi there ladies!
Turns out that we did walk a little over a mile on Halloween, so better than I thought!
I have worked out consistently every day since Saturday, so I'm feeling better. My knees are a little sore today, which isn't normal, so I'm a little anxious about that... Still glad I got up and exercised today though!

AngelMae
11-08-2008, 08:21 PM
Hey chickies!!
This week has gone great. I got a circuit in on Mon, Tues, Fri and Sat. I also have been doing my pilates pretty faithfully!

Hope everyone has a great weekend!! :)

Shannon in ATL
11-12-2008, 12:26 PM
Hey Angel!

I flaked again this weekend and didn't exercise Friday or Saturday. I did 30 minutes on the elliptical on Saturday, 10 minutes of ab video + 12 minutes of yoga video on Monday (flaked again on the getting up...), did 45 minutes of elliptical in the AM yesterday + 55 minutes of yoga last night, 35 minutes of kickboxing tonight. When I miss days I tend to make myself do more the next several days to make up for it... :)

Have a great week ladies! Come back and post! Keep out thread alive! :)

AngelMae
11-12-2008, 08:16 PM
Hey Shannon!!

Well Mon and Tues I did 60 min circuits and 10 mins of pilates. Today was my day off circuit so I did 20 mins of kick boxing and 15 mins of pilates!!

:) Like Shannon said "Keep our thread alive!!!"

princess2323
11-14-2008, 02:05 PM
just checking in to say that i've finished 30 day shred on week 3 of the biggest loser the workout (the first one) and doing wii fit for an hour each day --- i've only had it since monday though and i've done at least 30 min a day on it thus far--- monday 30 min ---tuesday one hour and fourty min ---wednesday one hour--thursday--45min---and today when i get home

AngelMae
11-14-2008, 06:44 PM
Congrats princess2323, I want a Wii Fit so bad, but we dont even have a Wii so I might want to get that first!! :)

Today I did a 45 min circuit and 10 mins of pilates. I didnt get my cardio in today, DS woke up from his nap too soon. But I am planning on doing a lot of cardio tomorrow!! And I am going Christmas shopping!

Have a great weekend ladies! :)

streudel423
11-15-2008, 12:16 PM
Hi! I started this thread several months ago and I had forgotten about it!! I'll try to remember to visit more often.

Well, this morning I did 35 minutes on the elliptical and then Namaste Yoga off of FitTV. I had forgotten how much I enjoy yoga :yoga: since leaving the gym-scene lst year. I got hooked on it while I was a member. Then when we decided to cancel our membership and start back working out at home, I stopped. (We've got an elliptical, treadmill, and bike...plus, LOTS of exercise videos to keep things mixed up!!).

I love Leslie Sansone videos. They're my favorite thing to do for exercise. I own about 15 ofher workouts.

Next week I'm going to try to incorporate some pilates from Denise Austins Hit the Spot Pilates. I also have her Yoga Body Burn DVD which is great. Also probably will try to do Namaste Yoga from FitTV at least once.

Well, hope everyone has a great weekend!!

AngelMae
11-17-2008, 07:20 PM
Hey ladies!!

Today I did a 35 min circuit, 30 mins of SS cardio and 10 mins of pilates!! I am poopered tonight! But my mom has the little guy so I am going to bed early and sleeping in late (I hope)!!

Have a great week ladies!! :)

Thighs Be Gone
11-17-2008, 08:24 PM
I am enjoying the walking DVD's on On Demand. I did the mile-run today. It was the perfect pace for me.

princess2323
11-17-2008, 09:45 PM
i took the weekend off and felt lazy and then doubled up on my biggest loser workout and feel amazing that i'm caught up now --

this is week 4 so i have 2 more weeks left of it YAY!!

so how's everyone else doing??? its monday and the start of a new week---so get to it --everyone --so what if you messed up this past weekend today is a new day --- and back to being OP

Shannon in ATL
11-18-2008, 12:32 PM
Good morning everyone! I'm back today from a little mini-vacation - we rented a cabin in the mountains for our anniversary...

I managed to exercise two of the four days we were there - did a 45 minute yoga video one day, 10 minute ab, 20 min kickboxing & 20 min yoga the other day. Got home yesterday afternoon, where I did 50 mins of kickboxing, 30 min of elliptical & 35 min of yoga yesterday. Today I did 20 min of yoga video & 30 min elliptical when I got up.

Getting back in to groove!

Have a good day ladies!

AngelMae
11-20-2008, 04:19 PM
Shannon-Welcome back from your vacation, sounds like fun.

Monday and Tuesday I did 45 min circuits and 10 mins of my pilates. Wednesday I did 25 mins of pilates (it was my day off from circuit) and today I did a 45 min circuit and 10 mins of pilates! I am sore, but a good sore!!

Have a good rest of the week ladies!! Its almost Friday!! :carrot:

Shannon in ATL
11-20-2008, 09:29 PM
Hey Angel!

Haven't done much since my last post. I've got an upper respiratory infection, so I took yesterday off. Did 35 minutes of cardio yoga this afternoon, may or may not do anything tomorrow depending on how I'm feeling then.

Good weekend everyone!

princess2323
11-21-2008, 01:11 AM
yesterday did boot camp and today did both high intensity cardio and boot camp from the biggest loser workout ---planning on doubling up again tomorow and then doing boot camp on saturday--

Shannon in ATL
11-21-2008, 11:43 AM
Princess, you are doing great! You got right back on track from last weekend! Good job! :)

Enygirl
11-24-2008, 01:37 PM
I'm jumping in. I see some familiar faces from other threads :wave: and a bunch of new ones - which I LOVE!!

I'm a WOAH girl... since There is NO time to get to a gym with working full-time and having a daughter who needs mommy at home when i can be.

I LOVE DVDs! In the spring I do a lot of walking outside, but it's too cold right now for that!

My goal right now is to finish the 30 Day Shred routine. I've done 5 days at level 2 so far. I'm going to do 5 more days at level 2, and then 20 at level 3. My biggest problem is STICKING TO IT! I always say that if I actually stuck with a program for the whole length of it I'd be amazed. Well This is another go at 30 DS for me! :lifter: 25 more days!!! I'm 1/6 of the way done!

I also LOVE WATP and Slim in 6 (which I also haven't made it through all 6 weeks... grr... that'll be the next one after 30 DS) So that's my story. I need to stick to it - I've been stuck in the #180's basically for a year!!! My Christmas goal is to FINALLY see #179 on the scale.. it's a HUGE accomplishment for me!!! It'll put me past the 1/2 way point FOR GOOD!!!! I know it's more in my mind - but there is definately a mental barrier with the #170s.

Ok - enough babbling.. time to get back to work!

Shannon in ATL
11-24-2008, 01:55 PM
Good morning! Welcome Enygirl!

I'm still not feeling great, did no exercise on Friday, then barreled into 65 minutes of stationary bike on Saturday. I was watching tv and a little stoned on cough medicine, totally lost track of time... I did 55 minutes of yoga yesterday afternoon, nothing this morning. I'm hoping to get some bike or elliptical in when I get home tonight, but we'll see. I'm pretty congested and coughing up a lot of crud, so might take another day off.

Enygirl
11-25-2008, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the welcome Shannon. :)

I just finished day 7 of level 2 of 30 Day Shred. 3 more days at level 2, then 20 days on level 3. :phew:

Things are good though... My eating has been a little off, but not horrible... We'll see what Thursday brings I suppose. :goodscale:

Shannon in ATL
11-26-2008, 12:51 PM
Hello!
I'm still moderately ill, but determined to get back into something close to my normal routine. I did 30 minutes non the elliptical Monday afternoon, 45 minutes of kickboxing with 10 minutes of yoga yesterday. I just can't make myself exercise first thing in the morning yet, though. I plan on doing some light yoga and 30 minutes on the elliptical this afternoon, and hope to get back into the morning vibe tomorrow.

I don't know much about the 30 day shred - I did one of the Jilliam Michels videos on Exercise TV, though, and I swear I wanted to just lie down on the floor and pass out afterwards. And I've been doing a lot of exercise videos lately, so that didn't make me feel very good about myself! :) So kudos to you Enygirl for sticking with it!

Enygirl
11-26-2008, 02:54 PM
I need someone to push me and :kickbutt: right now, and Jillian does the trick. They are REALLY hard at first, but it's amazing how quickly my endurance has built up. Generally I enjoy nicer trainers like Leslie Sansone or Debbie Seibers, but right now I need a hard @ss.

After I complete the 30 Day shred, I'm going to do the Slim in 6 with Debbie - she's MUCH nicer - the workouts are tough, but not quite as intense - and there's more strength work and such. But my first goal is to make it through the 30 DS. Like I said, I'm going to be amazed at myself when I actually stick to an entire program for the length it's supposed to be! 23 more days!!!

AngelMae
11-28-2008, 04:04 PM
Hey ladies!!

EnyGirl- I love Jillian, I am following her book, Winning By Losing right now and it is a butt kicker as well!!

Shannon-Glad to hear that you are feeling better!! It sucks to be sick!

I have been staying on track with my circuits, doing 45-60 mins 4x a week and pilates everyday!!

Hope everyone had a great holiday!! :)

Enygirl
11-28-2008, 11:13 PM
Angel - I've been thinking about getting her book. I wanted to get through her 30 DS first. I've thought about joining her website too - but I have this mental block of being stuck in the #180s - so I was thinking of getting the book for myself when I pass this plateau into the #170s.

AngelMae
11-29-2008, 01:54 PM
Hey ladies!!

Enygirl- Her book is pretty easy to follow you just have to have a lot of equipment. But I just modified some of the workouts because I dont have all of the equipment.

Today is my day off from lifting so I decided to do The Biggest Loser workout DVD and walk some on my treadmil. I am feeling pretty tired from the hustle and bustle of Thanksgiving and then shopping yesterday. :tired:

Hope everyone has a great weekend!! :)

Enygirl
12-01-2008, 08:47 AM
I did 80 mins of :yoga: followed by 30DS yesterday. It felt GREAT! My leg is feeling better and stronger everyday. I'm still taking it pretty easy on it so I don't strain it - but I'm NOT stopping!!!

How's everyone else?

princess2323
12-01-2008, 12:43 PM
i'm goood==== just got back from a week of non-exercise---lol ==== so the losing my bowl full of jelly challenge did me in yesterday and made me do my workout yesterday---so yay for that---and to think i was planning on soaking in the tub and then sitting around-----so did an hour of biggest loser workout---

AngelMae
12-01-2008, 02:40 PM
Things are going good here. I have been really tired lately for no real reason but I am pushing myself to workout!!

Today I did a 45 min circuit and 10 mins of pilates!

Hope everyone has a productive week!! :)

Shannon in ATL
12-01-2008, 05:07 PM
Hi everyone!
I took Friday off, but did 45 mins of kickboxing and 30 mins of HIIT elliptical Sat, 45 mins of elliptical Sun, 30 mins of HIIT this morning. I'm trying really hard to get back on track from being sick! :)
Didn't quite make my goal for the month, two weeks of sick and a small vacation wreaked a little havoc with that... hopefully December will be better...

Way to go princess and angel for keeping things going!

Enygirl
12-02-2008, 09:59 AM
shannon - good to have you back, and good that you're feeling better!

I'm starting to feel icky right now - I'm going to have to pump up the vitamin C so that I don't get sick. I can't afford it.. my life's too busy!

My workouts are going VERY good - the girls in the bowl full of jelly challenge are keeping me BUSY! I was tagged 2ce yesterday - so i did my 30DS & stability ball, and then over night I was tagged 3 more times! So tonight I have to put in 90 mins - unless I get more tags throughout the day - then I'll have to do more! WOW! My weigh in is on Thursday and I'm DETERMINED that I'm going to have a loss!!! I was an even #187 last week - I'd LOVE :love: to see #1+ loss for the week!!! :crossed:

Alright - I'm going to get some work done... even though my boss isn't here today - I should still accomplish something ;)

Shannon in ATL
12-02-2008, 11:35 AM
Thanks Enygirl! I feel a lot better - I still have some congestion crud that I'm afraid will be around for most of winter, but no more coughing and misery. Hit that Vitamin C so it doesn't get you, too! I use Emergen-C packets, but let me warn you to be careful not to overdo the C... I found that too much of it made me sick to my stomach... :( Great job on the workouts!

I was really on a roll this morning - I've had a hard time getting up in the mornings to exercise the last few weeks - mini vacation, then sick, then just out of the habit once I started to feel better. Today I got up at 6:30 and did 35 mins of kickboxing, some calisthenics to stretch afterwards - did 18 non-modified pushups, beating my previous 15 record!!, 10 minutes of situps & bicycle crunches, 30 mins of low intensity interval on the elliptical and then some light yoga to cool down. I don't know where all that energy came from! :)

I am also going to go try to get some work done. Have a great day everyone!

Enygirl
12-04-2008, 09:06 AM
Good morning girls! So apparently all the hard work is paying off. I'm FINALLY under #187! I weighed in at #185.8 this morning! I'll take it! I just have to keep it up!

Shannon in ATL
12-04-2008, 11:05 AM
Way to go Enygirl!:flow1::dancer::high:

I love those little pictures... :)

I did a 20 mi yoga program yesterday morning and 30 mins on the elliptical, about 10 mins of calisthenics as warm up and cool down. Had a Sonic Blast last night with depressed DH, so did a 35 minute cardio yoga program before bed. Got up this morning and did 35 minutes of kickboxing, 30 mins on elliptical, 10ish minutes of yoga to warm up and cool down.

I think I'm finally getting my groove back after almost a month!

AngelMae
12-05-2008, 11:58 AM
Enygirl- Way to go!! Sounds like you have been busy!

Shannon-Glad to hear that you are feeling better and getting back into the swing of things!

This week I tried to kick up my cardio a bit so along with my 45 min circuits I have been doing 30 mins on the treadmil. I really want to get to ONEderland by New Years!

Hope everyone has a great weekend, I am doing more shopping so wish me luck!!