Atkins - What's for dinner this week?

View Full Version : What's for dinner this week?

sandyfanny
07-27-2008, 08:45 PM
Please share what you're having for dinner this week...Induction - Atkins especially.

Tonight, I'm having:
grilled chicken in zero everything Scott's barbeque sauce squash sauteed with bacon and vidalia onions, and fresh sliced SC tomatoes. I get really excited about my dinner.

snapless
07-27-2008, 09:33 PM
Not on Induction, but a typical meal for me while on Induction would be:

Some type of lean meat, cooked with low/no carb spices or sauces, served with a side salad or some type of cooked green vegetable. I used things like onion and tomato very sparingly and only for a bit of added flavor.

wyo rose
07-28-2008, 06:50 PM
Last night I had grilled mahi mahi with homemade low carb coleslaw on the side.

Tonight it's beef NO mein - thinly sliced sirloin stir fried with celery, cabbage, fresh green beans, and a little shredded carrot and onion. Sauce is beef broth, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, and Splenda with a little Thicken notThin.

I have some shiratake noodles, but think I'll save them for chicken alfredo tomorrow night - sauteed chicken breast and frozen broccoli and cauliflower covered in homemade alfredo - cream, butter, and parmesan. With maybe a sprinkling of monzarella. I tend to go overboard on cheese.

I want to save my cheese for my low carb pizza quiche. I saw the modified recipe here to use only 2 T of cream cheese and 2 eggs for the crust (and a small amount of monzarella on the bottom of the pan). Then top with just a couple tablespoons of no sugar added spaghetti sauce (I like Hunt's), and lots of sausage, pepperoni, peppers, mushrooms and olives. And again just a sprinkling of monzarella on top.

The next day I'm planning on steak, mashed cauliflower casserole (cauliflower boiled and mashed, mixed with butter, cream, sour cream and a beaten egg, then baked - reminds me so much of twice baked potatoes) with meat drippings with a little cream for gravy.

I have a bunch of rhubarb to microwave with some splenda whenever I think I need a dessert. Maybe topped with a little whipped cream if I've been a good girl and done my exercising and drank all my water for the day.

Friday we're eating out so I think I'll go with a taco salad and maybe chili rellenos.

Timlin
07-28-2008, 11:18 PM
Shepherd's Pie tonight.......Induction friendly from Linda's Low Carb site
http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/coleslaw.html

MOCK SHEPHERD’S PIE

I adapted a recipe from online to make a mock Shepherd's pie. I used ground turkey instead of ground beef. The nutritional info will be a little different with ground beef (more calories, but not any more carbs)

INGREDIENTS
2: 16 oz bags frozen cauliflower
1: 16 oz bag frozen green beans
2 oz cream cheese
4 oz shredded cheddar cheese
20 oz ground turkey
1 medium onion diced (mine was 98 grams)
xanthan gum or 1 raw egg
1 T garlic powder
salt and pepper

DIRECTIONS

TOPPING=mashed cauliflower
-take two 16oz bags of frozen cauliflower
-microwave for about 14 minutes in a microwave safe bowl or until cauliflower is very tender
-drain really well (if you don't remove the water, it'll end up like soup)
-add them to a food processor with 2 ounces of cream cheese, salt, pepper, garlic powder (whatever spices you like).
-pulse till it's smooth like mashed potatoes (or if you don't have a processor, mash with a potato masher).

MEAT (do this while cauliflower is microwaving)
-saute diced up onion and brown the turkey (mince it up)
-add salt/pepper/garlic powder
-once cooked throughout, I added a little xanthan gum to thicken it, or you could use a raw egg
-stir in 2oz cheddar cheese

Cook the frozen green beans till soft.

Okay, so now here's the layering
-add ground meat/onion mixture to the bottom of a 9x13 pan, top with a layer of green beans, then spread around the mashed cauliflower on top. Top with the remaining 2oz of cheddar (or more if you like). Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.

It came out really nice. I like making casseroles this time of year when it's cold out. Here's the nutritional info without an egg.

For the entire recipe:
Calories: 1930
Fat: 108
Total carb: 93.8
Fiber: 36.16
Net carb: 57.64 (I had an 1/8 of a serving, which is 7.2 net carbs)
Protein: 160.7

You could halve the cauliflower recipe if this is too many carbs, but it's all veggie carbs, so I say the more the merrier.

Eileen2bLean
07-28-2008, 11:55 PM
wyo rose,

I saw your post earlier today and the lo-carb pizza idea caught my eye. I looked it up (the recipe) and checked - and yes, I had all the ingredients! So I made it for dinner tonight.

My son who is carb-counting with me is a very very picky eater. He was so thrilled to have pizza that he ate three slices!

When I was looking for the recipe, I saw many different totals and estimates of the number of carbs to count. So I entered all my ingredients that I used into FitDay (had to enter several custom foods because the carb count on what I had was different than FitDay's) and it came to a whopping 3.16 carbs per slice!

I had only one slice since I'd had a salad earlier -- and I'm still full now at 11 pm. Each slice has 23 grams of protein, so it's very filling!

Just wanted to thank you for pointing me in that direction! Thanks!

BlondeAmbition08
07-29-2008, 03:19 AM
Tonight I'm going to try the Taco bake recipe from Linda's

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/taco_bake.html

wyo rose
07-29-2008, 12:37 PM
I LOVE the pizza and have it once a week.

These other recipes look delicious too. Can't wait to try them.

fatfrog
07-29-2008, 12:43 PM
Shrimp scampi last night (shrimp cooked in butter, salt, pepper, garlic - smashed but left in a big piece rather than pushed through the press so that they add flavor but not carbs) w/ spinach salad

Rack of lamb tonight with salt, pepper, rosemary. Maybe fennel on the side.

Roasted chicken legs tomorrow with some Emeril's Essence. Kale on the side.

Stuffed peppers on Thursday. Ground turkey, oregano, salt, pepper, parsely, maybe some tomato or tomato juice.

Yum yum!

sandyfanny
07-29-2008, 03:31 PM
What terrific menus you guys have come up with! I was thinking shrimp tonight to top a big, old kitchen sink green salad with sliced summer squash, spinach, mixed greens, red onion, bacon, cheese, sliced boiled eggs, a little tomato...

It's crazy hot and humid here - something like 95 and 90 plus per cent humidity. A big salad might be just the thing for me.

Thanks for all the ideas. Keep them coming...I have over 100 pounds to lose.

BlondeAmbition08
07-29-2008, 04:16 PM
I just wanted to say that the taco bake turned out really delicious. It's very filling though, so if you're going to try it take a smaller piece than you think you want.

Tomorrow: minced pork with cabbage (similar to this: http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/easy_cornedbeef_cabbage.html)

QuiltFan101
07-29-2008, 06:59 PM
Is the Taco Bake ok for phase 1 since it has tomato sauce in it

JerseyGyrl
07-29-2008, 08:04 PM
Is the Taco Bake ok for phase 1 since it has tomato sauce in it

Yes, the Taco Bake is ok for Induction...any recipe on Linda Sue's site marked with an * is ok for Induction.

QuiltFan101
07-29-2008, 08:24 PM
I can't to try the Taco bake

BlondeAmbition08
07-30-2008, 02:58 AM
I made mine with tomato puree, because I couldn't find any sauce that didn't have added carbs. (I seasoned the meat a little extra instead.) But it's really not a lot of tomato either way.

wyo rose
07-30-2008, 11:45 PM
I just made the taco bake and it is SO good and SO filling.

I didn't use tomato sauce, but substituted LaVictoria mild taco sauce with 1 carb per tablespoon.

Delicious! My DBF even liked it and he won't eat the low carb pizza because of the eggs in the crust.

lynnar
07-31-2008, 11:13 AM
You guys make me want to cook. I don't have much time on weeknights, so my usual dinner is something grilled - pork chops, chicken breasts or hamburgers and a veggie either sauted or steamed in the microwave. I've never found low carb BBQ sauce, so I use alot of dry seasonings (lemon pepper, garlic powder). The veggies usually get real butter and sometimes lemon pepper. Sometimes I cook on weekends but I haven't spent too much time looking up recipes. I'm the only low carb -er in the family, so if I have time to cook it's usually two versions of something or two completely different meals and of course that takes even more time.

RobinW
07-31-2008, 02:54 PM
Wow, some of this stuff sounds delicious!!

Dinner for me tonight is chicken thighs marinated in chiavetta's :T and a veggie, probably broccoli. But I like the idea of that cauliflower bake!! We'll see how tired I am at the end of the day.

sandyfanny
07-31-2008, 07:43 PM
This isn't a special diet, or low-carb barbeque sauce. It's just Eastern North Carolina vinegar-based barbeque sauce (We're world famous for our barbeque) I use Scott's Barbecue Sauce - "Good on all Meats and Seafood."

1-800-734-SAUCE or www.SCOTTSBARBECUESAUCE.COM

No carbs, no fat, no calories...really good. Not expensive.

iwillbethin29
08-01-2008, 12:00 AM
HI SandyFanny!!! Yes- i watched the 3-day marathon of this couple on Dr. Phil- they are both nuts- i mean warning signs everywhere!!! i thought i felt bad for her, but now-no- think about the kids!!!!
Anyway, glad you watched as well- no one at worked watched it, i had to vent on it- crazy!
So- Today is Day 6- ah yes....almost a week done- must lose weight, must lose weight- today i took over the project management of our new contact management IT system- i've only been there 4 days- but i totally took over- very proud of myself!!! Sometimes you just have to take control, it felt nice!!! Really missing teaching in the classroom these days- a cubicle or desk just doesn't do it for me...at least my schedule is kickin'
So, i had chicken salad with celery and lettuce for lunch
dinner- ground beef, a little cheese, green peppers, onions, salt, pepper, garlic, and bacon- not too bad- just all mixed up in my wok!
I hope this works- remember, 30 is just around the corner, and i must be thin my by birthday!!!
I just want to hit the 170's by then- but i also want to set a long-term goal of a year- so by the end of july next year, i would love to weigh in the 140's
So, that gives me a year of probably ups and downs...but sure fire dedication- i just want to wear a nice pair of long paints and a tucked in tight t-shirt- i don't know why, but i wear dresses a lot to cover everything up!! and long skirts! ugh-
just to let you know- i love jcrew! i keep looking at their online sale section- i used to order clothes from there when i was thinner- now at size 14 there are things- but their sizes run really small- so i am waiting until i hit size 10 to start purchasing!
LOTS OF WATER TODAY!!!!! it's so hot in phoenix, so it's not hard!
Anyway, keep it up!!!! We can do it!!!!!! Lose that weight, wear those tight little clothes we all want to fit into, tight and sexy!!!! just like our bodies!!!
Bye
Me

Jessie
08-01-2008, 12:48 AM
OMG Chiavetta's! I grew up outside Buffalo...I wish I could get some delivered lol.

Grilled some salmon tonight with broccoli.

sandyfanny
08-01-2008, 01:10 AM
I had dinner at Macaroni Grill Wednesday night:

Grilled Filet topped with Boursin Cheese and herbs - really delicious (I didn't know it would come with some sort of sauce under it - au jus, but it was thickened with something white!) So I avoided the sauce.

Skipped the potato and ordered double grilled asparagus / iced tea.

Tonight - new recipe from 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet: Bacon Cheeseburger Salad. The recipe says it serves one, but it easily serves two hungry people - stop it! girls...I had a friend over who was amazed my "diet food" was so good. She scraped her salad bowl!

Ice cream whipped up in the Cuisinart for dessert. Totally Yum!

BlondeAmbition08
08-01-2008, 04:15 PM
I made a stir fry with shrimp and broccoli tonight.

Tomorrow I'm making some some pork loin fillet in the oven. Haven't decided on the details yet. :)

sandyfanny
08-06-2008, 10:49 PM
Dinner tonight was really good!

Grilled Steak
green beans sauteed with olive oil and garlic
vidalia onion sauteed in butter
cauliflower baked with heavy cream and cheddar cheese

The cauliflower was excellent. It tasted like macaroni and cheese! Yes! Maybe it's because I'm at day 15 without bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, etc...This menu is easy, but it could easily be "company best to impress."

Lunargds
08-08-2008, 04:22 AM
MMmmm. Seriously love this dish. I could probably eat it once a day. When I am really missing chinese food this is what I have for dinner... or lunch... or maybe even breakfast.

Ingredients:
1/2 head raw cauliflower, (grated to make 3 1/2 cups)
3 green onions
1 clove garlic, minced or 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon ginger
3 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
3 eggs, beaten
Olive Oil
Cooked Chicken, Beef, Pork, Shrimp, Ham, Turkey, etc.
- Any mixture, your choice.

In a wok or large flat skillet, heat enough oil to cover the bottom. Fry minced garlic (or garlic powder) with finely diced white part of onions for approximately 1 minute. Add grated cauliflower and fry for 4-5 minutes, stirring constantly. Add soy, ginger, diced green onion tops, and pre-cooked cubed meat or baby shrimp. Stir to mix well and brown a bit. Push mixture to one side of pan. Add more oil if necessary and scramble eggs in empty side of pan until done but still moist. Stir eggs into "rice" mix and remove from heat.

Serves 3-4. 5-7 carbs per serving. Stores and re-heats beautifully.

NOTE: For an additional 6 grams for the entire recipe, try adding 1/2 cup frozen green peas (about 2 minutes after adding cauliflower.) It adds great flavor and richness to the dish

sandyfanny
08-08-2008, 02:16 PM
Your cauliflower fried rice sounds delicious. I love Chinese food. Fortunately, the restaurant I really liked closed, so the temptation is a memory. But I have a nice, fresh head of cauliflower today. I'm going to make this for my dinner with fresh shrimp. Thanks so much.

BlondeAmbition08
08-09-2008, 02:44 PM
I'm going to have a left over portion of spinach lasagna that I made thursday night. ( http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/spinach_lasagna.html )

If anyone is going to make it, I would suggest seasoning the spinach mixture. Tastes slightly like eating wet grass when warmed otherwise. :)