General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-27-2008, 03:16 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 228/ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

Default kind of gross... and definitely TMI... but i need advice...

ok, i can't see the dr until tomorrow, but i've been suffering for about 3 weeks now... and it's got to the point where i'm miserable...

why, you ask? ok... i warned you this is gross and it's a TMI, so you're warned to turn back now!

I've been fighting a losing battle between constipation and hemrrohoids that has me literally afraid to attempt to go. we're talking the pain that ends all pain... even with prep H... and when the blood showed up yesterday, i knew i had to see the dr.

can someone suggest to me a manner of easing my troubles for the next day... i'm calling the dr as soon as they open... i just need to get through until then...
dancingirl81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 03:25 PM   #2  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Normally my advice would be - lots of water and Benefiber, or Metamucil or something similar. Keep the fiber content and water intake in your diet high.

But - depending upon your level of constipation (which sounds severe), you may need a laxative - stool softener first. There are several good products out there. I recommend a trip to the pharmacy and ask to speak to the pharmacist TODAY!

And yes - DEFINITELY talk to your doctor ASAP

Last edited by CountingDown; 07-27-2008 at 03:26 PM.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 03:27 PM   #3  
Good Charlotte fan !!

S/C/G: 184.2/176/135

Height: 5 foor 1 inch.

Lightbulb Just part of life. ( fao : Dancing Girl )

Hi Dancing Girl :

Oh Please !!!! You are amongst friends here, please don't be shy to discuss a medical issue, besides many of us have the same issue and can help you out.

I have the same problem. Never ate healthy as a teen even though I was slim and developed hemmoroids as a result from constant straining.
What helps me is using the Tucks pad after using the bathroom, will leave you cleaner and fresher than straight toilet paper.

Homeopathic remedies can help. If you have a health food shop near you get a vial of ' Hammamelis ' which is just witch hazel. WH shrinks hems so you can use that as well on some toilet paper.

I have written quite frankly here, so hope nobody is mad at me now, but my goodness this is only a medical issue, so I do not think any of us should feel shame or embarrasment.

Best of luck !!

Last edited by FairyVickie; 07-27-2008 at 03:28 PM.
FairyVickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 03:28 PM   #4  
Little Miss Random

Height: 5 ft 6

ve bin under a similar situation lately....
my advice is hot orange squash....
works a treat....
was only thing that would shift me ten day long constipation....
sh3l5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 03:38 PM   #5  
Go Cubs Go!

S/C/G: Too/Effing/Much!

Height: 5' 7"

You poor thing.

Definitely get in to see your doc as soon as you can. Until then, lots of fiber, a good stool softener, tons of water and some Tuks should help. You could also try a cool sitz bath. That may help relieve your discomfort, a bit.

My husband recently went through this. He had some in office treatments and he is so much better, now.
Rain Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 03:44 PM   #6  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Agreed - Tucks and and a sitzbath will help a lot! (Tucks have witch hazel in them I believe).
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 03:44 PM   #7  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I work on a postpartum unit so we deal with hemorrhoids all the time. The Tucks pads/witch hazel is right on. It really helps to reduce inflammation. We have our patients take a stool softener 1-2 times a day (a pharmacist can recommend one) and we also use Americaine ointment placed on the Tucks pads several times a day. Baby wipes or Tucks pads are great for wiping sensitive tissue. Also soaking in tub after using the bathroom. Try keeping the tucks pads in the refrigerator as the cold will feel better and help decrease swelling of the hemorrhoids. If your hemorrhoids are internal rather than external, these measures may not help. Stool softeners tend to take a couple days to work, so if your extremely constipated, you may want to take one with an added laxative, but look out. Too strong of a laxative may make matters worse, if you know what I mean. I don't think the preparation H works as well as the Americaine, which has Benzocaine in it to reduce pain. There are also prescription creams your Dr. can order for you that may help more.

Last edited by murphmitch; 07-27-2008 at 03:45 PM.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 03:59 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 206/187/145

Height: 5'9"

Default Not Sure

When U Call To Make An App Ask Them. Im Not Sure. Sorry.
Mdavila89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 04:13 PM   #9  
loving my beautiful self

Height: 5'5"

Ouch!! I'm not sure what to add to the advice you've already received, it sounds great I guess I'll just echo that if you want to take something to get your digestive tract moving, I would definitely suggest something like a laxative WITH a stool softener - definitely take the stool softener. What the laxative does is get your bowels moving, while the stool softener softens the material so that it is softer and easier to pass when the time comes Whew!

I really hope you feel better soon and your visit to the doctor tomorrow also helps!
beautifulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 07:39 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

My advice:

~If you have to go, don't be afraid to, and don't WAIT/NOT TRY. If you are already having issues...you don't want the stool to stay there and get impacted/too large to pass.

~Stool softener. Philips is a good one. I would honestly recommend this INSTEAD of a fiber supplement. From what you described, it sounds like the stools may be too hard to pass, causing the blood and the hems. Don't take a fiber laxative to make more stool, take something to soften/ease passing of what is already there.

~Instead of taking a fiber laxative, eat fruits often. Raisins, prunes, peaches, apricots, pears, apples, these will all help. Try to eat fruits a couple of times a day.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote