South Beach Diet - Phase I Chick-Check - July 27 to August 2

Ruthxxx
07-27-2008, 06:40 AM
Please post your successes, problems and helpful hints in this thread where we can all share. If you are new, feel free to join in - there's lots of support here.

I've had a pretty decadent week and my ticker is lying so I'm on Phase I for a while. Yell at me to "read the book" and "check out the FAQ". OK?

Pearlrose
07-27-2008, 08:35 AM
Ruth, I am in the same boat as you- today is day 2 Phase 1. Here's to getting back on track :)

lene1974
07-27-2008, 02:58 PM
Okay, I'm in too! I'm going to do phase 1 until Aug 2nd. Hopefully that will be the little kick I need to get back on track. My vacation starts the following Monday so if it wasn't enough of a kick then I'll do a full 2 weeks when I come home. I'm on plan so far for today. I'm going to the grocery store in a little while and getting some of my favorite Phase 1 foods. I'll miss my triscuits :(

zeffryn
07-27-2008, 03:26 PM
Oh, my. These questions again. Come on Ruthie - READ THE BOOK!

:) Have fun

Ruthxxx
07-28-2008, 08:14 AM
:lol: "Read the book." I did not make yesterday a "pure" Phase I day. Fairs are the Devil's weapon and he got me by late afternoon!

Today is off to a good start with Canadian bacon and sliced tomato for breakfast. I even slathered pesto on the tomato so will be breathing garlic on folks today. Lunch and dinner are planned and true Phase I so.....wish me :lucky:!

Luck is fine but rely on planning and skill!

Schmoodle
07-28-2008, 08:24 AM
Hello repeat offenders and newbies! I am joining you too. Are you guys going for two weeks or one? I may try to do one pure week, then add 1 fruit/day next week. It is peach season, ya know.

Ruthxxx
07-28-2008, 08:50 AM
Schmoodle, I really should do two weeks but have a challenge on Friday night with a friend's BD party in Ottawa.
I think I am an incurable repeat offender!

Pearlrose
07-28-2008, 09:10 AM
I think I am only going for 1 week to just get back on track and then ease into phase 2. This is day 3 for me!!

SkinnyDogMom
07-28-2008, 12:10 PM
DH and I are planning on 2 weeks. We have been very naughty for the past month and consider ourselves lucky that the weight has stayed the same.

Fat Melanie
07-28-2008, 12:23 PM
I'm on Day 14 of Phase 1... and no one thought I could really stick to it :p

I think I'm going to ease into Phase 2 with ww bread. But I think after 2 weeks of that, I may need to go back to Phase 1 just one more time. While I did not cheat, I still think I may have consumed maybe too-large portions of dinner and perhaps too much cheese. I'm getting the book in 2 weeks anyway, so I can do it 100% then. I still did pretty good! Pretty happy with it. Lost 3lbs. I'm gonna weigh in tomorrow morning to see.

ladybugnessa
07-28-2008, 12:49 PM
I'm on Day 14 of Phase 1... and no one thought I could really stick to it :p

I think I'm going to ease into Phase 2 with ww bread. But I think after 2 weeks of that, I may need to go back to Phase 1 just one more time. While I did not cheat, I still think I may have consumed maybe too-large portions of dinner and perhaps too much cheese. I'm getting the book in 2 weeks anyway, so I can do it 100% then. I still did pretty good! Pretty happy with it. Lost 3lbs. I'm gonna weigh in tomorrow morning to see.

i'm not following your logic Melanie.

why would you go back to phase 1 after 2 weeks of phase 2 you won't even be done the transition.

in addition I would so NOT start with bread.

i would recommend you have one fruit a day each day (later in the day and paired with dairy or protein or fat) for a week

then week two add back a starchy veggie or grain (sweet potato or oatmeal)

then in week three another thing for a week...

and see how you feel.

cottagebythesea
07-28-2008, 01:25 PM
Good advice, Nessa!

Fat Melanie
07-28-2008, 08:41 PM
i'm not following your logic Melanie.

why would you go back to phase 1 after 2 weeks of phase 2 you won't even be done the transition.

in addition I would so NOT start with bread.

i would recommend you have one fruit a day each day (later in the day and paired with dairy or protein or fat) for a week

then week two add back a starchy veggie or grain (sweet potato or oatmeal)

then in week three another thing for a week...

and see how you feel.

Lady Nessa, that sounds like a good plan. I was just afraid I may have overdone dinner portions and I wanted to do Phase 1 perfectly. Has anyone done 3 weeks of ph 1 before or is that out? Wasn't sure.

zeffryn
07-28-2008, 08:56 PM
Mel - there are plenty of people who have done 3 weeks of P1, but it isn't the healthiest way to eat....it won't kill you, but you've done REALLY well on P1 and I think you're ready for P2. It can be really scary moving to P2...I was terrified.

What are you going to have on your first P2 day tomorrow?

Fat Melanie
07-28-2008, 09:06 PM
Well... I'm not sure, I didn't prepare.. I think I'll get a bag of apples or oranges and eat one a day... like, apple slices with cheddar for a snack or something.

This will sound whiny but I wonder why I didn't see the 7-8 lb success like others often see in Phase 1. I understand that it's only a temporary thing and on phase 2 it's more like a 1-2 lb thing on average, and that's fine, but I did think I would have lost more like 5-6 than just 4 (weighed myself again). That's why I think I ate too much cheese and too big portions.

zeffryn
07-28-2008, 09:14 PM
It is relative for everyone...I know seeing a huge weightloss would have been great....but you were on plan and I think you did a great job.

For perspective...I only love 6 lbs. in P1, but I dropped a pant size. 4 lbs. is still 4 lbs!! Just think....you're 4 lbs. closer to Beyonce than you were before :)

Apple slices with peanut butter or cheddar are a favorite snack in this household.

ladybugnessa
07-28-2008, 09:28 PM
Melanie FWIW I never worried about portion sizes esp in phase 1....

and i was terrified to move to phase 2 in fact on the weekends esp in the winter i have to struggle to get my fruits and grains in... I love phase 1 but it's just not healthy long term.

Fat Melanie
07-28-2008, 09:33 PM
Oh yeah, I can't wait til the day I am of Beyonce proportions and I can wear the adorable 'shorty shorts' I bought at the cheapo Walmart sale. I am glad I did lose 4 lbs. That means I lost the 6 lbs I set as a monthly goal under the july goals post, although I decided a few weeks ago not to really set goals. But that was pretty cool. Well phase 1.5, here I come.

Melanie FWIW I never worried about portion sizes esp in phase 1....

and i was terrified to move to phase 2 in fact on the weekends esp in the winter i have to struggle to get my fruits and grains in... I love phase 1 but it's just not healthy long term.

Hey, that's cool.. so I guess I was fine anyway, despite portion sizes, so I won't worry. (Though; I do think I did get in too much cheeses, but, that won't kill me.) I've always had a tendency to overeat really good foods. I'm worried about the grains... (in fact, I have no idea why I wanted to start adding bread back first, that was pretty dumb of me..) Because I know I will tend to want 2 slices of ww bread as opposed to 1. I've always eaten whole grains so that's not the problem, but portion size is. If I make a tuna sandwich, when I do eventually add grains back in, I'll have to eat a half sandwich on 1 slice of bread and I'm so used to eating 2. Worried I might cave into temptation, telling myself "well it's not like it's cake" and then eat a whole sandwich. And I'll tell myself it will be just that once and then end up doing it more than once... and that will sabotage phase 2. That will probably be the harder part for me. I have to figure out a way to avoid falling into that trap I could potentially create for myself.

I love fruit; but never have eaten as much fruit as I should. Looking forward to apples though; red delicious.

ladybugnessa
07-28-2008, 09:41 PM
you will be amazed at how sweet that apple tastes!

Fat Melanie
07-28-2008, 09:45 PM
Oh it's gonna be gooood! :D

Thin4Good
07-28-2008, 09:51 PM
I am just finishing up my first week of phase 1. I am pretty happy with the food over all. I love the preparation of everything (the biggest drawback seems to be the mountain of dishes!) I have always loved vegetables so I am basically glad that now I am "forced" to take the time to eat well. I have started using small bowls for my desserts (they belong to my 1 y/o!). It seems to make them more satisfying (since the bowl is full instead of almost empty!)

I have been looking for a set of dishes for a long time that are "perfect" for me. One of the criteria was that the bowls be very large but now I am thinking more the opposite. - Don't worry, I won't be buying them any time soon so I have plenty of time to think about it!

Fat Melanie
07-28-2008, 10:05 PM
I read something about eating on kid's plates makes you feel more satisfied because it tricks your brain into thinking that you have a lot more food than you actually do.

I used one of my 6 month old's Beechnut bowls for soup earlier.. felt satisfied.

lene1974
07-28-2008, 10:28 PM
Okay, day 2 DONE! I really haven't been craving. Although, I will be eating 1 fruit a day. I've been running like 2.5 miles and I need to have some carbs to get thru my run. I know when I began SB in Feb. I had no energy in Phase 1. At this point, I can't go without running for an entire week. I have my first 5K in mid September.
Melanie, I just wanted to say that if you did Phase 1 right (which it sounds like you did) you should be in control of that sandwich. I did a clean Phase 1. By the time the 2 weeks were done, I was saying "no thanks" to everything. My kiddos would literally stick ice cream cones, cookies, chocolate ect.. in my face and I was totally empowered by those 2 little words. Enjoy that apple!

Pearlrose
07-29-2008, 08:00 AM
Day 4 of Phase 1 for me, this time around no terrible headaches so that is good. I feel much more in control again of eating and have lost the cravings but I am going to continue for atleast a full week, but then next week I plan on only adding 1 fruit a day for next week.

choices
07-29-2008, 09:45 PM
I'm on my 2nd day of phase one,but I did do the two weeks before this last yr.,and was successful then. When I went to phase 2 I had decided beforehand what I was going to eat,and chose oatmeal,and then strawberries..(they were just coming in season last yr.) Thinking back now,I should have stayed with one of those things..like Nessa suggested...and easssssssse into the carbs. But I think you hit the nail on the head with several things...prepare,and cheese (too much)and portions. Cheese and portion size were/are tough for me too. Congratulations on your two week accompolishment!:carrot:

lene1974
07-29-2008, 10:12 PM
Day 3 done. No problems, even when the baby was trying to feed me her M&M's. :D Congratulations Melanie!

Pearlrose
07-30-2008, 08:51 AM
Day 5 Phase 1, I decided I will move into Phase 2 when done with one full week, all cravings are gone and that is what I did for- I am going to start with one piece of fruit for a week.

cocowgirl
07-30-2008, 09:50 AM
Morning~
Well i finished week 2 of phase I....and lost 1/2Lb...(Guess it was too much chili this week) Not too bad for 2 weeks though...Total 8 1/2 lbs!
Think I'm gonna stay on phase I for one more week...still craving sweets here and there...been tempted but havent had any...

Hope everyone has a great day!

Sara

:carrot:

nelie
07-30-2008, 10:20 AM
I have the feeling that I should announce myself.

Uhhh HI!

I did SBD many (many) years ago, approximately 4 and I do credit it with the beginning of my healthy eating that followed.

I'm not very good at sticking to plans so I didn't stay on SBD way back when but I did employ many of the techniques over the years.

So I had been feeling I needed something a bit structured and a change and I was reading a book that basically said follow the glycemic index. So I looked at SBD as a reference and then said why not do phase 1 for 2 weeks?

So I did and actually I started phase 2 a couple days ago by adding a piece of fruit. Anyway, I was my highest weight in 6 months and now I'm my lowest weight in 6 months (10 lb difference). I'm still a couple lbs over my ticker weight but I hope that I will get back there in the next few weeks.

The hardest part I found was breakfast because I had been drinking fruit smoothies for breakfast for nearly a year. I tried eating something hot, vegetably for breakfast during phase 1 and it was a struggle. Now I'm down to some dairy free unsweetened milk for breakfast in some tea and then eating something heartier a couple hours later.

cottagebythesea
07-30-2008, 07:30 PM
Hi, Nelie! :) I'm happy that Phase 1 worked so well for you, congratulations!

Schmoodle
07-30-2008, 10:03 PM
Wow, a perfect Ph1 day today. Yesterday I did well but I ate 5 chocolate chips before bed so I can't say it was perfect. And the day before was good, but I had a few too many nuts. But today I can say that I was perfectly on plan for a change! Still not sure how long I will stay on Ph1, but if I get to the orchard this weekend for some peaches I will probably add a fruit to my days.

Hi nelie, good to see you in this part of the forum?

Ruthxxx
07-31-2008, 09:17 AM
Crawling under my rock and confessing I've not been a pure Phase I - and the scale shows it. Today should be a better day although I am considering doing Phase I.5. My BGL is whacky even with beans and milk!