Old 07-26-2008, 08:06 PM   #1  
loving my beautiful self

Height: 5'5"

Default First job (not about weight loss)

I'm applying for my first "real-world" job today (and the next little while). It will be my first job after graduating from university, and I feel terrified about applying . Why??? Normally people get worried about the interview, etc. Agghhhh I hate this fear, and it is SO irrational... not to invalidate my feelings, it just really makes so little sense - all I have to do is forward my application! I've been delaying/procrastinating updating my resume/cover letter all day today and yesterday.

Anyone else in a similar position? Maybe minus the fear

Last edited by beautifulone; 07-26-2008 at 09:30 PM.
beautifulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 10:00 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 130/125/115

Height: 5'1

My bf has this problem -- I think he's scared of rejection. But don't be scared! I saw this motivational speaker once who was like, look, it's a numbers game. Sometimes it takes 10, 100, 1000 times -- don't take it personally, just keep trying. Hm, this is a hollow recap of his actual speech, but the point is, you can't go backwards, so just take a deep breath and jump! Good luck!
fatfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 11:43 PM   #3  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Height: 5'5

Oh my gosh - I HATE the job process!!! I'm already terrified about having to apply for my first real-world job. Good luck! Remember to breathe!
GradPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 03:18 AM   #4  
Little Miss Random

Height: 5 ft 6

everyone needs a job....
aim high and go for it....
you might just suprise yourself....
and if you dont, at least you get some invaluable interview experience....
sh3l5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 10:53 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

My advice is to have lots of people proofread your resume and cover letter. I get nervous just showing them to people. But once a bunch of your friends/family/classmates/coworkers have given you their approval, it makes it a little easier to take the risk of rejection. Your chances seem better. At least for me.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 11:18 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Job interviews are nerve wracking.
Look your best, do not chew gum and try to relax. The worst that can happen is that you won't get hired. Answer the questions asked , let the interviewer lead the interview. Relax!
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 04:37 PM   #7  
loving my beautiful self

Thanks everyone I jumped the big fear hurdle yesterday and worked on my application. Now I am almost done, just need to tweak it a little and it'll be ready!!
beautifulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 06:06 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 190/179/125

Height: 5'7"

When I got my first job, I was scared to death before that for interviews. But the fear gradually leaves you once you get through one. Trust me, I eventually ended up going on 24 job interviews before I got hired!! Ironically, I got hired at one place that I HATED, then I got hired in the same week at the place I'd been applying for for months (where I currently work), and the week after, another manager called me to see if I wanted to join their team. Seems like you get all the offers in one.

Good-luck, and don't be nervous. Remember, you have nothing to lose and EVERYTHING to gain. The more job interviews you go on, the more you'll know exactly what to expect and how to reply.

Last edited by scorpio88; 07-27-2008 at 06:06 PM.
scorpio88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 06:39 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 252/215/150

Height: 5'10

Looking for work does SUCK but I choose to look at it this way. Good things come to people who can deal with rejection. The guy that has the balls to ask out 20 girls who are out of his league, I mean putting in an A-game heart felt attempt with each of them will most likely land a date with at least one.

It's no coincidence that telemarketing is one of the most highly paid unskilled jobs. Noone wants to bug people and be told no 97% of the time, but the ones that do make $15 per hour.

Likewise it is part of being an adult to put yourself out there on the job market and open yourself up for rejection. If you apply to 10 jobs that you really want. Tailor your resume/cover letter to each. Research the company for your interview, look nice for your interview and arrive on time, follow up and make it known that you want to work there, and just in general do all of the things you are supposed to most likely you will get at least one job offer. Have the attitude that you are proud of yourself for having the guts to put yourself out there and make an effort reguardless of the outcome.

I can say from experience that it is better to seriously apply for 5 jobs where you put in the effort and do all the things you are supposed to than to mail out 20 identical resumes.

Tell youself that putting youself out there like this is part of being an adult, and for something as important as somewhere you will spent 40 hours per week at the effort is worth it.
Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 10:31 PM   #10  
Mindy

Everyone is nervous about job hunting for that first "real" job. Don't worry. Go in to every job interview with confidence and a friendly attitude, you'll get what you're after :-). GL!
pooka1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 01:39 AM   #11  
Yarp.

S/C/G: 172/ticker/145

Good luck!
UrsusMaritimus is offline   Reply With Quote