Weight Loss Support - 21 Day Challenge #3

View Full Version : 21 Day Challenge #3

Arabella
03-27-2002, 06:42 AM
Originally posted by katrinabgood Thanks, Katrina! :cool:

I missed my weigh in today...not too upset about that, because I seem to have fallen into the same slump a lot of us around here have found...having said that, I can't believe that I just blithely threw away almost a whole week of good, on program work for a day or two of haphazard eating!:shrug:

We need a collective kick in the pants to re-energize us and get us back into high gear...Here's what I was thinkin'...

When I belonged to ediets, there was a message board called the "21 day challenge" the idea being that it tales 21 days to form a new habit. You commit to eating within your program, drinking the water and exercising for 21 days. If you slip, you begin again on Day 1. It really was very motivational and really a lot of fun...anyone interested in a challenge? Let me see if I can dig up the rules...

wow! I can't believe I did it without losing my post...must be an omen!

Rules for the 21-Day Challenge

Block 1
1. You must drink a minimum of 64 ounces of water per day.
2. You must eat from your meal plan or stay in your calorie range for every day!
3. If you go over your calorie allotment, (OR cheat!) you must start over.
4. No exercise is required until your second 21-Day Challenge (block#2), but by all means, if you're already exercising please continue!
5. Your 21 days must be CONSECUTIVE days! That is the whole point in forming new habits.
6. Nothing is wrong with having a yummy snack!! Just make sure you plan for it!! It has to be part of your calorie limit for the day!
7. This works on the "honor" system...no one will monitor you...if you "mess-up", you are only cheating yourself by not beginning again! The importance behind this challenge is to have 21 consecutive days of self control!!
8. What do the numbers mean that you see by peoples' names?? They stand for DAY/POUNDS LOST/BLOCK. 1/0/1 is Day 1, 0 pounds lost, Block 1.
9. Once you have finished block #1 (the first 21 days) you will progress to block #2...

Block 2
Same as block 1 + 20 minutes of exercise 5x/week

Block 3
Same as Block 1
+ increase to 30 minutes of exercise 5x/week
+ toning exercise for at least 15 minutes 3x/week
+ must post inches lost

Block 4
ON YOUR OWN... no rules except for the ones you set for yourself... it's time to turn this plan into your plan... you should state your rules and follow them for 21 days... repeat this as many times as necessary until you are at your goal.
Good luck to you as you complete your journey! YOU CAN DO THIS!!! It all starts with a single step... and following with a new one each day!!

What do you think? I'm just trying to shake things up a bit around here...

I'm up for the challenge, ARE YOU?

Arabella
03-27-2002, 06:50 AM
Okay, I made it through Day 1. Feel much better today, even though we've got freezing rain, so i wimped out of the a.m. walk. I'm going to look for a good workout show on TV and do that. Also have to work frantically from now until after Sunday to get my work done for the month. Will i ever stop procrastinating? Next month! It would make me a much happier girl.

Malia, i remember what the PMS cravings were like. Sometimes I wouldn't know what was happening, but then TOM would hit and I would know why the binge had happened. My skinny sisters used to have days like that too, where they said they just ate all day. I think if we admit that there will be days like that and allow for them we might do less damage. Hard to do, though...

Let's make this a great day!

xo
babette :wave:
2/212 (-3)/1

prism
03-28-2002, 03:51 AM
Hi there,

Another rough day of PMS, but by afternoon TOM came. I feel 100x better. I cut my hair which could have been half of the problem. My hairdresser did a good job. Tomorrow is my Friday. It should be very busy, but that can be a good thing. Time flies.

I can't believe a month has gone by and I haven't made much of a dent. Tomorrow is my day 1. I think I gained two pounds the last few days. I've kept up my exercising and water. Eating was a disaster.

Here's tomorrow. Keep strong,
Malia

Arabella
03-28-2002, 08:58 AM
Chugging along. I'm in crappy humour, because I'm backed up with work and have to keep my nose to the grindstone. I hate that! NEXT month I am seriously going to plan my time better and start to live! I waste so much time, and don't even enjoy it. I need a total life makeover, and I'm going to do it!

Made it to the gym today, that's a good thing anyway. And food is going well. I'm hosting a potluck dinner tomorrow, so I have to be careful. It was a dinner party that derailed me last time, and it's so much easier to keep going once you get a few good days in.

Let's get around this block!

xo
babette
3/212 (-3)/1

katrinabgood
03-28-2002, 04:05 PM
Well. I hate to do this, BUT...I'm having a hard time posting faithfully on one thread, let alone two! Would you be interested in posting on the"300+..." thread, babette...you can still track the challenge there if you wish. Malia is a poster there too. I don't want to tell anyone what to do, but it's just that I have to limit myself to the one thread from now on...takes me long enough to get one post in, what with how many times I have to RE-DO because I deleted it for some reason or another!

I'd love to see you join us over there, we have a great group af gals, always happy to "see" a new face! See you there, Malia!

:wave:

Arabella
03-28-2002, 09:52 PM
Kat, I understand completely. I agree, the 300+ thread is great, but i already post to a couple of other threads and it's just WAY too happenin' for me... i could never keep up. So I think I'll keep this thread going anyway, or maybe incorporate it into one of the other threads. I do lurk at the 300+ thread from time to time, but MAN! It MOVES!!! Maybe I'll drop in and say "hi" from time to time.

Day 3 done, and on to Day 4.

xo
babette
3/212 (-3)/1

prism
03-29-2002, 04:03 AM
Hi,

Lingering PMS. Started a cold. Gave myself excuse to binge, mistake, it turned out to be an allergy. Three days at home. It'll be tough. I controlled my craving for my mom's portuguese sweet bread. I ate a half a slice. Whew. I didn't consider myself to be OP today. Perhaps being away from the Easter candies at work will do me good.

I post regularly on three threads. Sometimes the other threads get tired of talking about weight loss. I like this thread. It keeps me focused on what I need to do. Begin again and again. In the past two months, last week was the first time I was actually on plan for 5 days in a row.

Keep on plan,
Malia

Wildfire
03-29-2002, 09:27 AM
Mind if I join?

I post at the Alternative Group, but I like the 21-day idea. I seem to start over almost every day lately! I really need something to keep me going, and now that Spring is finally here and I'm feeling a little re-energized....this challenge might be what really gets me going again.

Of course, I picked a chocolate-filled weekend to start, but if I can get through the next few days I can handle three weeks, right? :dizzy:

Arabella
03-29-2002, 02:30 PM
Tonight I've got a bunch of people coming over for a potluck dinner, so I will have to be on my toes. Just have to remember my two rules, and follow them, so it shouldn't be too hard -- although the "only eating when I'm hungry" is a bit of a challenge....

Malia, glad you're sticking around! I know there's lots more to talk about than diet stuff, and it's all worthwhile, but I like having a focused thread going. If you want to work on the psychological aspects of this thing, the "what are we really hungry for" thread is great.

Welcome, Wildfire! We'd love to have you on the block. Good luck with the chocolate!

xo
babette
4/ 212 (-3)/ 1

prism
03-29-2002, 05:30 PM
Hi everyone,

Welcome Wildfire! I agree this will be a tough chocolate weekend. For myself, if I do eat chocolate, it'll be something I really want not super sweet stuff (like a Cadbury egg, throw away the inside). Wish you good luck.

Day1, I'm doing fine. I took my vitamins and are within my portions. Today will be easy because I'm fasting. I'm going to aerobize tomorrow instead of this morning. I need an active metabolism for the ham dinner we'll be having.

Have a great day!
Malia

Arabella
04-10-2002, 08:08 AM
Well, I finally got it together enough to drag this up from the bottom of the heap. I've been doing well some days and not so well others -- I know that the 21 Day Challenge helped me to make more days work for me, so I'm counting again.

I've been going to the gym religiously and getting lots of exercise. My body is showing a difference, but not the weight. I think if I can just start to eat a bit less that will do it :rolleyes: Oh, I know -- what a revelation, huh! :eek: Last weekend we had people over for dinner twice and then Monday I was feeling crummy and tired. All of which led to me eating more than usual. Got to get this plan going again so that even in those situations I'm still in control. It's not really difficult, once I have my mind set. As long as I only eat when I'm hungry and eat at the table when I'm alone, I'm OP.

Had a real demonstration of why I eat when I'm tired yesterday. After lunch I could barely keep my eyes open, but tried to get some work done. So I'm at the computer (NOT making much progress, I might add, with my brain in a fog), thinking I need a nap. Still I sit here, getting nowhere. Then I think I need to go make some coffee and take a break, but still I sit here. After another few minutes, I started to think what I needed was cookies or something. And the lightbulb came on. It was like I could see the progression: fatigue, my trying to ignore it, and the desire for sweets. I think my body was trying for the best alternative first (a nap) and then going for the next best thing (coffee and a rest) and, finally the least effective, sugar (which, frankly, never does really give me an energy boost, but -- hey! is that any reason to stop trying? :o )

Anyway. When I saw what had happened I decided to crawl into bed for a nap instead of finding myself some cookies. And I felt better afterwards, and actually managed to get some work done. Things that I'd been struggling to understand began to make some sense.

Ok, I should get on with my day, I guess. Didn't walk this morning, because i still feel tired and crummy, but I'm going to try to get in a walk later.

Let's make this a great day, All.

xo
babette
2/213 (-3) /1

katrinabgood
04-10-2002, 08:38 AM
Hey babette...

I was glad to see the post from you. I guess you can count me in again. too. I really need some structure and some accountability. I stopped going to WW after I joined Curves, but that weekly weigh in DOES keep me trying. I've had good days and so so days, but I have been exercising regularly, so I have pretty much stayed the same, weight-wise.

So, I am recommitting to the 21 day challenge...here I am at day one, AGAIN! It will be nice to bring in May with a good loss under my belt!

Good luck to us!

Arabella
04-10-2002, 08:29 PM
Okay, i think i'm getting the hang of this again. I feel like i've got a split personality, though. The chubster with a discipline problem, who doesn't quite understand why she can't pick at leftovers while she cleans up after dinner, and the strict disciplinarian :nono: who tells her that she could easily "pick" a few hundred calories and think she hadn't really eaten.

I made it through without any real difficulty today. Wasn't feeling great to begin with but then some caffeine made me feel better. Had my son and grandson over, and had a nice visit. I talked myself into going for a 3 mile walk around the harbour this eve, so my exercise is still good.

Katrina, nice to see you enlisted for another tour! :D Maybe we can entice some more brave souls... How's the Curves stuff going? I've been maintaining but my clothes are looser, and I keep thinking that if I had a way to measure my "fat content" that I would be seeing progress. Still, I think i'd like to have a weighin to go to -- i think it might make me try harder. I'm going to hunt around to see if I can find a TOPS meeting that is at a time I can stand to go.

Malia, Wildfire, Jen, Chantal, come back to the block! We'll have a block party!

K, guess I'm packing it in ... Just about time for tucking myself into bed with a novel. :yawn: I should practice some Tai Chi, though. I started back to class Tuesday night, and if I practice every day, I may sometime actually remember all the 108 moves ...

Sweet dreams, Everyone!
xo
2/213 (-3) /1

Arabella
04-12-2002, 08:51 AM
Hokay! I got through 3 days. Yesterday was stellar -- 1/2 hour walk to and from the gym, where I did 15 minutes on the cross trainer at my maximum training level and two sets of the circuit training. Then I had an hour Tai Chi class in the evening. Drank my water, ate healthy. Couldn't have been much better -- do you suppose that I might actually lose some weight sometime soon :rolleyes: Of course, last weekend was a write off (pecan pie & ice cream, chocolate cake and ice cream...) and Monday was not-so good (Doritos), so I'm lucky not to be up, and I should fully understand why I'm struggling to get a pound off. Perseverence, though, will make it happen, so - um - that's the plan. :p I'll be very excited to get under 210 again, and that will happen soon if i keep working on it :jig: . Friday, so that means a treat-type dinner tonight. Whole wheat veggie pizza, but with 4 kinds of cheese :T I will fortify my reserve to only have 2 pieces, and I may forego the traditional Friday night wine...

Let's make this a fabulous day, Blockettes!

xo
babette
4/212 (-3)/1

Arabella
04-12-2002, 08:59 PM
Me again :yawn: Hmmm... boring here by myself. Oh, well... Friday over -- I had just a sliver more than the 2 slices of pizza. And had a champagne and jaccuzi date w. DH when he got home from work, so I did have a couple of glasses, but nothing too bad. Got in my 3 mile walk and practiced Tai Chi a bit. Ok, I'm putting myself to sleep here. Enough!

xo
babette
4/212 (-3)/1

Amarantha2
04-13-2002, 01:13 PM
Hi, Blockettes! I've been lurking on your thread for awhile and hope you keep it going. I dropped out of the "holiday" challenge we were doing (though I'm still keeping it up on my own) and feel somewhat displaced, though I continue to enjoy this forum more than any diet site I've used. I like the "block" theory; it's similar to the "streaks" I do, counting the days of good fitness behavior and starting over and over and over. When I was losing a great deal of weight, I used to streak for very long periods, now I have more trouble sticking with it. I also am influenced too much by other people's dropping out, which is why I couldn't hack it at WW! :)

I'd like to keep lurking here and seeing your focused results. I'd join but I'm already kind of at a "Block 4" state of making my own rules, though I'm still trying to lose a **@@-ing 30 pounds (used to be approximately 100 pounds heavier than I am now, but never reached final goal and am starting to gain). I never measure inches, though I do religiously weigh in every Sunday.

The idea of a very focused and dedicated thread is a good one. Good luck.

katrinabgood
04-13-2002, 04:03 PM
Babette...

Sorry to leave you on your own...I'm having a hard time getting it together--diet wise--I'll just keep starting over though til I get this right! I already blew today food wise, Egg McMuffin for breakfast with hash browns, of course. I must say I haven't had that in a long time and it was good...could have salvaged the rest of the day with healthy eating, but there was left over pizza at home and it was easier to eat that than to make anything for lunch! :devil:

It will help if I get my butt down to the grocery store and restock the veggie bin and the pantry! Next stop...

I did get my exercise in today...1/2 hour at curves and then a 1/2 hour walk on the beach...so good for clearing the cobwebs out of the brain! So I'm feeling renewed and eager to begin again, (should I even say "begin?") rather, continue on this journey.

Welcome, crone, to our little group, feel free to pop in anytime. Your insights are always interesting...I lurk on some of your boards, too!

Have a great Saturday, my friends...

Arabella
04-14-2002, 02:25 PM
Hmmm... I'd really like to get around at least ONE block sometime soon, so I am going to have to start doing it. Last night I picked at salad as I was cleaning up after dinner. No biggie, and didn't lead to anything, either, but if i start letting things like that go, it would sooner or later, so.... i'm starting over

I had my day hijacked yesterday -- my grandson's mother was sick and asked me to take him. I've committed to getting a lot of work done by Monday, so I could scarcely afford to, but i took him from early yesterday aft till early this aft. And, because he kept me awake a good bit of the night I am suffering major fuzz-head, which is not the greatest for working with. I guess I can just do some of the easier stuff and hope to get a good night's sleep tonight and be smart again (LOL, as they say) tomorrow. :rolleyes:

Haven't exercised yet today -- it's pouring rain out. If it stops, I'll go for a walk later.

Hi Crone! Nice to see you 'round the block. The block concept IS similar to the streak one. I like the idea of mastering a particular behavior in 21 days (although i know as well as anyone that i can regain a bad habit MUCH more quickly than that!) :spin: (...so fast, as a matter of fact, that it would make your head spin)

Kat, i'm with you on the pantry-stocking issue. I really need to have good choices available on demand. I've been doing pretty well, but if I was eating fruit or veggies rather than crackers and peanut butter for snacks, I might be making more progress. I would LOVE to see the numbers go down on the scale -- after tomorrow, I'll have a solid week in of behavior that should give me a loss. Dare I dream that the scale will budge for me?

I fear that I need to work harder. I always told my son that if he was trying to do something and it wasn't working that just meant he needed to try harder. Of course the problem with all the pearls of wisdom I've delivered over the years is that he actually remembers them and then quotes them to me at appropriate times. Sigh.

Well. Let's do the best we can, Blockettes. (not too inspired today.... my plan is just to muddle through...)

xo
babette
1/212 (-3)/1

Amarantha2
04-14-2002, 08:24 PM
... you Blockettes, I'm starting a new "streak" today. You're right, Babette, the concepts are only a little different but the idea is to achieve long periods of consecutive days of favorable fitness behavior. I posted a "streak" thread and hope to reach at least 21 days ... kind of a Blockette wannabe! :dizzy: (I can relearn behaviors very quickly, too. It's scary!) Re peanut butter, though, have you seen Prevention's "Peanut Butter Diet" plan? It's really sensible and I've made some of the recipes ... the shake is so filling and cold.

Kat: I'm also restocking my supplies of "good" choices, stopping just short of my trigger foods. These I need to continue to stock in the store as it were ... then I have to go out and get them when I need them.

Arabella
04-15-2002, 09:02 AM
A new week! I am determined to make that darned number on the scale go DOWN this week. I do have one small triumph to report this a.m. though. My tighter jeans are just out of the laundry and I thought "if they aren't as tight right out of the wash, then I'll know that I have made some headway" and they aren't. Not exactly floating on me (read: still pretty freakin' tight), but not too bad, and I know that within a few hours they won't be tight at all. So I attribute that to my muscle vs fat theory. Nevertheless I'd really like it to register on the scale, now I'll try to get that to happen.

I did manage to go for a walk around the park yesterday, and then practiced Tai Chi for a half-hour (where is that darned "pat self on back" smiley?).

Crone, i didn't see the Prevention peanut butter diet, but I did see someone recommend that everyone trying to lose weight should eat a little peanut butter every day. (hmmm...maybe that WAS Prevention) Don't know exactly why, whether there was something specific to peanut butter or whether it was just the protein and healthy fats. Definitely it's satisfying though. I remember when I was doing WW last year and trying to go really low-fat. One day I had soup & crackers with a little peanut butter on them for lunch and I found that I had no desire to snack through the afternoon, whereas when I had a totally low-fat lunch I often either was hungry or just had the munchies.

Okay, I really need to get some work done. Let's make this a fabulous day, Blockettes, Streakers, Everybody!

xo
2/212 (-3)/1

katrinabgood
04-15-2002, 09:53 AM
Good Morning!

Quick post and I'm off to exercise...Today will be day 1 for me...Monday, Monday, there's just something about it!

I'm having my breakfast shake...6 oz ff/sf vanilla yogurt, 1/2 c. OJ, 1/2 cup strawberries, 1/2 banana into the blender...very filling and yummy...

oops my ride is here...gotta go...

Arabella
04-16-2002, 07:15 AM
I'm on the fly this a.m. - backed up with work i should have gotten done by yesterday. I am definitely going to turn over a new leaf after I dig myself out of this one :rolleyes:

Had a good day yesterday, and I am really seeing a difference in my body, so the scales will have to show it soon. I'm wondering whether I can go to Curves once a month to check my fat content - i should call them and find out.

Kat, your breakfast shake sounds great! I definitely need a blender!

Let's make this one for the Block, Blockettes!

xo
3/212 (-3)/1

katrinabgood
04-16-2002, 09:16 AM
I'm happy to report a PERFECT day yesterday! I exercised @ Curves in the morning, and did yoga last night. I came in on the low end of my points range, foodwise, and drank all my water...I even wrote everything down!

I had a revelation, last night at work...my "usual" times to be hungry came and went...it turns out that my body is just used to being fed at these certain times...when I really thought about it, I was either thirsty or...what...programmed? I havent' eaten since dinner last night around 6:30 pm (except for my small, legal dessert right before work at 10:30)...I'm not hungry! Even now!

Day 2's meals are planned out, I'm working out this morning, so I know I will have another successful day!

Hope yours is just as good!

:cool: It's supposed to get up to the high 80s today...too hot, too soon! I want Spring back!

Lilbitofsunshine
04-16-2002, 11:22 PM
I belong to another thread here. But I'm really in need of a new perspective and a challange. Your 21 day chalange is exactly what I am looking for. May I join you?
Tomorrow will be my first day.
Misty

Arabella
04-17-2002, 09:12 AM
I didn't do anything drastic yesterday, just had a couple of small snacks when I wasn't hungry. But since that's the kind of behavior that i'm trying to overcome, that means it's Day 1 again. At least when I've gone off I haven't binged -- that's just the worst! I hope to never do it again. I only enjoy (sometimes) the very start and it makes me feel bad, physically, mentally, spiritually. Plus I find myself thinking about how hard it is on the body, and how hard the heart has to work to deal with that kind of assault.

There was a study looking into why people seemed to often have heart attacks on the weekend that suggested that it was because they eat big meals then. I know that some people do eat meals that would constitute a binge. A cousin of mine died recently who had a heart attack after a big dinner. He was 42, and not even slightly overweight, had no indication that he had heart troubles. Hmmmm... good thing for me to keep in mind...

Got in a 3-mile walk and will try to practice Tai Chi through the day. Supposed to go to a movie with DH tonight, but if he doesn't want to go I may take in a yoga class.

Kat, I'm dying to hear how the fat measurement goes at Curves, especially since I'm banking on the "muscle building" theory as the explanation for why I'm struggling to get any weight off. :rolleyes: Funny how we program ourselves to eat at certain times -- if I ask DH if he's hungry, he looks at his watch. I feel like asking him if he's got a hungerometer on that thing. What I find surprising about trying to only eat when I'm hungry is how much hungrier I am some days than others. Love the days when i'm only hungry at meal times and don't think of food in between, but i need to feel ok eating if I'm hungry on the other days.

Welcome, Misty! I think the 21-day challenge approach is helpful. I seem to be having a bit of difficulty getting very far, but I'll keep starting over...

K, Blockettes, let's make this a FABULOUS day!

xo
babette
1/212 (-3)/1

katrinabgood
04-17-2002, 12:03 PM
...and going strong!

Food and exercise have been great, water no problem...still journaling too! I'm enjoying the process this time around, so I'm hoping to actually keep the momentum going for 18 more days! Just to prove that I CAN!

Welcome, Misty...the challenge is a good way to keep yourself on track...It's your little inner :devil:VS:angel: competition! Juat keep starting over til you get it right.

OK, babette, here goes...I had my FAT analyzed today...I didn't do as spectacularly as I would have liked, but there was a wee little improvement... I lost a whopping total of 3 1/4 inches, and one lb of body fat, while gaining a pound! Certainly not earth shattering, but anything off is off. I'm committed to going, I'm going to increase my daily exercise, and do something in addition to Curves...

*sigh* ...so that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

I'm off to nap...haven't slept since I got off this am @ 7...must recharge the battery.

See you later...

Arabella
04-18-2002, 07:31 AM
After all my talk about how much i hate binges yesterday, can YOU guess what I did? Yuppir, the ol' bingeroo. The morning was good, I felt crummy but got myself out of it and into a better frame of mind. I had a ton of work to do and told myself I didn't have time for anything else. OK. As I typed that, I thought:

Mistake # 1. I have got to allow myself time to have a life, and not tell myself that I've got to shut everything down but work, because that is just the kind of situation in which I binge. I KNOW that happens, so I am going to ensure that I have some fun & relaxation planned for every day.

Mistake #2: After lunch, I had a craving for something sweet. I don't keep sweets in the house as a rule, so there was nothing good available. And I've seen this demonstrated, and read about other people having the same experience over and over. If I don't have what I want, I might just eat through the house looking for satisfaction (that I don't find, BTW :rolleyes: ) I should just go out and get something that will satisfy my craving and have it and get on with my day. A piece of cake and ice cream would have done it I think. I just noticed last night that the supermarket sells individual servings of desserts. One of the reasons that I don't want to buy them usually is that I don't want the whole thing kicking around, so I should keep that in mind next time.

Well, those are my revelations for the day. As usual, they aren't new, but maybe after relearning them enough times, i'll really start to deal with them??? I really didn't feel very happy yesterday after the binge -- felt like life sucked, and life is just too short to waste feeling like that. There's so much to enjoy in life and I'm going to try to do that.

Anyway, when I got up this morning, I didn't see the Bloat Creature :eek: in the mirror, but could actually still see the progress I've made from working out :jig: . I look much better, even though there's no real weight drop.

Katrina, WTG on the inches & fat loss. I was happy to see that you could lose a pound of fat while gaining a pound. We're so scale-conscious though, huh. I really want to see a change, too.

So. I'm off to the gym. When I get back I'll plan (now, there's a concept!) a day that I can live with. Ironically, I got next to no work done yesterday, just futzed around at the computer ineffectually. And that often happens when I tell myself that I'm not going to do anything but work, i should be getting hip to my tricks by now. That old passive-aggressive approach: you can make me sit here, but you can't make me be productive. :p

Let's make this a GREAT day, Blockettes! (I'm going to really try!)

xo
babette
1/212 (-3)/1

Arabella
04-19-2002, 10:06 AM
Me again. Still going. I feel kinda depressed today, think I have issues with DH that I've been blocking -- like Marge Simpson says, you just take all those bad feelings and squish them way way down. But I'm beginning to feel like maybe I need to deal with them. Today, for the first time, it struck me that maybe there are psychological reasons that I've gained so much weight since DH & I got together. I think that I sublimate too much of myself and then compensate with food. I don't think that it's necessary to do that, but that I'm just too passive and my husband is too forceful and it just happens.

I don't think that I need to scrap my marriage, but that I DO need to start living my life more the way i want to. And, for the most part, it isn't DH that stops me, but me getting in my own way. Hmmm. That may be enough soul searching for this a.m.

I did pretty well yesterday, 3 mile walk and food was good. I'm going to put a big push on to get through the 21 days this time.

xo
babette
2/212 (-3)/1

Amarantha2
04-19-2002, 02:27 PM
Hi, Blockettes! I'm on Day 6 of my streak and have even divided my journal into 21-day blocks in slavish imitation of you'se guys! :cool: My plan is a simple one ... eat 1500-2000 calories per day, exercise twice a day. I also try to drink lots of water but since I live in Arizona, I don't have to really focus much on that ... it comes naturally.

Babette: I loved the Simpson episode about depression. I do lots of "squishing" as well. Definetely I also suffer from the syndrome of getting in my own way. I'm at present agonizing over whether I can leave my Old Dog for three weeks to train for a really good job that I want. The problem seems to be not in Old Dog's head but in mine. I long for cookies 'n creme bars and vanilla slimfast to soothe the irritation, but have so far resisted.

I think we need the "What Are We Hungry For" thread back.

Lurker signing off ... have a good rest of the day, Blockettes!

sweet tooth
04-19-2002, 04:39 PM
I was surfing the threads here and just noticed this 21 Day Challenge. May I join?

I have been following WW since last July and noticed that the first three weeks were very difficult for me, but once over that hump (the 21 day habit forming hump), weight loss became an obsession. Well, that is, until the end of January. I am finally down to my last 10 pounds, and can't seem to get the motivation to stay OP long enough to lose the last little bit. This 21 day challenge may be the thing and the motivation that I need to get back on a permanent track.

blissbeau
04-20-2002, 09:12 AM
Hi I am brand new to 3FC. Glad I found it and this thread. 21 day habit worked for me getting my bed made, why not for staying on program? I pushed my limit on points last night, only by one and only because of eating dinner out with my wonderful dh, so what better day to start day one than today.

I need to set myself a goal. I am doing WW on my own at home...I suppose the 10% would be a good one to start with. I wish you all the best and thank you for being here. Let's keep pushing ourselves and each other!

Bliss
(1/0/1) <-- looks like low numbers to me..going to PUSH them UP!

katrinabgood
04-20-2002, 10:39 AM
Good Morning all...

Day 1 again for me...I think I may need the 4 day challenge for starters...I can't seem to get pst day 3 any more...but when I STOP trying, all will be lost, so here we go again!

babette...I SO know what you are talking about when you speak of the underlying issues with you and dh...you passive/he aggressive...sounds so much like us...though I have NO intention of scrapping my marriage, I do need to assert myself and not rely on anyone else to show me the way to happiness. Don't get me wrong, I have a good marriage. but sometimes I think, If everything is so hunky dory, WHY can't I take this weight off? I DO have a lot of family issues to resolve...recently took a class about "Adult Children of Alcoholics," which I found very enlightening and helpful...but I find coming here extremely helpful too......I see that I am not alone, we are all here to help each other!

Welcome, Blissbeau and sweet tooth...our numbers are growing!good luck to both of you!
Hi Misty and crone...how goes it?

well, I'm off to seize the day (1)!

Have a great weekend, all...

Arabella
04-20-2002, 04:16 PM
Wow, new faces! :D Welcome, Sweet Tooth & Bliss!

Sweet Tooth, funny about that last 10 pounds. My DH has about 10 pounds he wants to lose. I always think "Gee, if I only had 10 pounds to lose it would be so EASY!" But then I think how thrilled I would be to have 10 off anyway, from right here, and how hard it seems to be to make any progress. :rolleyes: But let's do it, huh!

Bliss, that's inspirational, that you used a 21-day challenge to get yourself to make the bed. I think I'm going to see what else I can use the approach for.

Katrina, I KNEW there was something familiar about you! I'm an adult child of an alcoholic too, although my dad's been dead for 15 years. And still have all this stuff to deal with. Seems like we're inclined to take familiar routes. I'm coming more and more to believe that i have to assert myself to be able to lose weight, because the more passive I am the more I eat in compensation. I see my mom doing the same thing, too. And I don't want to waste my life. Let's be STRONG!

Crone, I think you're right about the "what are we really hungry for" thread. We could just do it without the exercises, if we don't have them. Or we could (i know I could) benefit from looking at some of the earlier exercises again. Let's resurrect that thread! And let's get un-squished, too.

Well, Blockettes (and honorary Blockette ;) ), let's do what we need to do to have a good weekend and a great start to next week.

xo
3/212 (-3)/1

Amarantha2
04-20-2002, 08:32 PM
Hi, Blockettes! You are all doing so well moving around those blocks. I'm on Day 6 of my streak and holding. Tomorrow is my weigh-in day. We shall see. I also know that if I get 21 days in, my habit is likely to stay in place for a long time. The streak allowed me to lose 100 pounds ... I didn't break it for a long, long time. But I really like the Blockette idea of adding "levels" to my streaking game. I know I want to be at a good steady "level" where fitness behavior is automatic. Work is picking up and I may travel a lot this summer and so want to get onto an even keel now.

Kat & Babette: Yo! Another adult child of alcoholic here! I've forgotten how long it's been since my dad's been dead, but here I still am and yes still dealing with it. It takes awhile. We will get there.

I'm going to post "What Are We Hungry For" with some of the old exercises. I don't have the Roth book so maybe LLB wants to post new ones. Actually I have surprisingly few books about weight issues ... gave away the recent one I purchased. My only fitness purchases lately have been two older books in the Rockport Walking Program series, which I think is wonderfully sensible.

Peace to all Blockettes, Lurkers, Streakers, Challengers, etc.

Arabella
04-21-2002, 08:56 AM
Good Morning, Blockettes! I think that my new theory about repression (OK, I knew about that, but we relearn and relearn) and its place in food issues is making this easier for me. I just wake up every day determined to be myself and not shrink from the most minor confrontation, and that seems to make food seem more like....just food. And that's when I enjoy it the most anyway. I really enjoy planning delicious dinners and making them celebratory and life-affirming (sort of the opposite of the "lapse into coma" binge :rolleyes: ).

Doing well with food and great with exercise. I walked six miles on Friday, yesterday walked a couple of miles to the gym and back, did 15 minutes high intensity on the cycle and 2 circuits and practiced Tai Chi for a half hour. Today we're scheduled for a long walk on a trail. I'm going downstairs to practice TC again in a minute and may try to get in a yoga session later.

Katrina, I have got a lot of work to do on the issues w/ DH. Although, like you, i consider i have a good marriage, my disappearance from it is causing problems. I was reading about a not-uncommon phenomenon in which women in fairly normal relationships fantasize about their husband's death. Been there! :o I do love my husband, but he is not an easy-going type and it's often easier to give in. The problem is that each time I give away a little bit of my self, until I hardly know who I am any more. Also like you, i have no intention of scrapping my marriage. So. I have to work within it to make it work for me.

Case in point: this trip to Toronto to visit MIL (thanks, Kat, for that very apt "hot pokers in the eyes" analogy). DH said a month or so ago that he wanted to go, asked me if I did. No, i said, you go. Thinking "mmmmm.... a week or so of blissful solitude, do what I want when I want," and so on. But he really wants me to go, partially because it takes 20 hours or more to drive there, but partially just because he wants me with him. So i said i'd go, but didn't get enthusiastic about the trip. Thinking about why I wasn't enthusiastic, it's because we do what he wants to do when we're there and I feel like I make the entire trip just to go to the art gallery, where he will try to hustle me through. And we spend WAY too much time sitting around his mom's house ( i would rather be home, for sure!). So I'm thinking about what it would take to make it a nice trip for me and I'm going to tell him: more time walking around the downtown areas, dinner out at an interesting restaurant (maybe Thai, something we don't have here). Have more of a "Toronto" experience. I could enjoy the trip, I just don't like his itinerary. Oh, it will be interesting to see how this one unfolds...

Crone, thanks for pulling up the "what are we really hungry for" thread. Even if it was a random choice, that one is pretty relevant! I'll go in there and do some work on it later. Are you looking forward to the travel through the summer? Hope you get to go somewhere a little cooler; sounded like you had more heat than you needed last year. We in the frozen climes forget sometimes that heat can be as restricive as cold. Summer is GREAT here, but about half as long as it should be.

K, Blockettes. Let's make this a wonderful day!

xo
babette
4/212 (-3)/1

Amarantha2
04-21-2002, 01:52 PM
Thanks for the title, Babette! I am kind of doing the blocks, only a little different way. Lost 3.5 pounds on my first week of staying OP. The streak goes on.

Repression and emotional conformity to male authority figures is definetely a factor in why I have problems with food, too. I will post something about that on the "What" thread.

I am looking forward to traveling, but so emotionally tied to Old Dog, I don't know how I'll part with her, even for a few weeks. Can't see taking her as I have so much work to do on these assignments. We'll see.

As for the heat, I'm not really anticipating a cooler summer other than when I'm away. We are supposed to reach triple digits this week, which is early, but I'm contemplating a second window unit. Haven't decided.

Blockettes All: Thanks for being so inspiring! Have a great and OP Sunday. :)

Arabella
04-22-2002, 09:48 AM
I am very happy to have made it this far. Yesterday, DH & I went on a 7-mile hike and I practiced Tai Chi/chi qung for about an hour total. Was kind of bummed, though, and continue to be today. I think that means that there's stuff that I need to be dealing with, and I will try to identify those things. Have a song stuck in my head: "Is there an answer in god's creation, that tells me why i live and die" being one line from it. Very existential stuff! So I think this is some kind of a crisis that I've got to work (work, work, work :( ) my way out of. I know that hanging with uncomfortable feelings rather than trying to obliterate them tends to be productive. I usually feel much better and more fully alive on the other side.

Crone -- 3.5 pounds! :eek: That's a big WOOHOO!! for you. Congrats! You are truly inspirational, and I am going to try to follow in your footsteps :D Hope the issues with Old Dog and travelling work out well for you. I am trying hard not to be so repressed, my own self. I find even the smallest actions can be helpful to me, thinking about what I want to do and then doing it, rather than thinking of 15 reasons why I can't/shouldn't do it.

Be strong, Blockettes!

xo
5/212 (-3)/1

blissbeau
04-22-2002, 09:57 AM
Well day 3 for me On Program.. I even have dh counting points for himself now, so it's even more fun.

Thank you for the welcome.

Wondering if anyone has info on banking points.. I don't want to do it, I just want to understand it...and exercise points..

dh is a runner, he ran 8 miles on Saturday. I have the slide and it shows he gets 8 points for that.. would he have to have the 8 points added to his minimum? I went to meetings about long enough to get that slide, but never really understood it.

Thanks for any info...

Bliss

3/0/1

sweet tooth
04-22-2002, 10:43 AM
Happy Monday morning to everyone. Thanks so much for the welcome.

Today marks the start of my first 21 day block. I did not have a very good weekend, but today is a new day and I will start OP again. So far (7:30am), I am still OP. :D

I usually get up and go to the gym 3 mornings a week, but couldn't even get out of bed to do that this morning. I am planning to go tomorrow, instead, though, so hopefully this last 10 pounds will be gone soon.

babette - We went to a Thai restaurant in TO that was really good - authentic food, too. I forget the name, but it is located in the downtown district in a converted warehouse. If you can find it, it is really good.

crone - Congrats on the weight loss. Keep up the great work on your streak. You are doing so well.

Wishing everyone the best this week. Take care.

Arabella
04-22-2002, 10:49 AM
Bliss, your husband can add the exercise points on to his total anywhere in the range between min and max. If he wants to eat his maximum, that means that he could have whatever the maximum is PLUS the eight extra. IMHO, he should do that, esp since the dear lambs (men, that is :rolleyes: ) always seem to lose weight more quickly than do we.

blissbeau
04-22-2002, 03:33 PM
I will tell him to add at end, and yes you are right. He will most likely reach his goal before me, but I am determined to get there.

thanks

Arabella
04-23-2002, 08:18 AM
Wow, a couple more days here and i will have a week in. That would be great! I've gotten tons of exercise the last 4 or 5 days, and intend to continue. Still haven't lost, but i know that as long as i keep going it will come off. I remember this happening before when i started lifting weights after not having done it for a while. There's a difference in the fit of my clothes, and I can see and feel a big change in the musculature all over my body. If I wasn't weighing myself, I would think I was making real progress :rolleyes: Yesterday I had a sugar craving after lunch -- i was a little hungry, so I got myself a treat and had it sitting at the table, and :eek: stopped when I was full rather than eating the whole amount. Granted, there was a lot of it, and I would have felt sick if I'd eaten it all, but in the past, I probably would have done it anyway. I really wanted to cozy up on the couch to have it but didn't -- too easy to lapse into a coma.

Sweet Tooth, how are you doing? Thanks for the info on the Thai restaurant. I'll see what I can find out about it.

Let's make this one count, Blockettes!
xo
babette
6/212 (-3)/1

sweet tooth
04-23-2002, 11:41 AM
Well, today marks the second day of the first block. So far, still OP...AND even went to the gym before work this morning.

Babette - You are doing so well with the block challenge. Almost one full week OP already. That's 1/3 of the way to finishing the first block. Way to go! Congrats on the success you had with your treat. Not eating the whole thing is a major success in your weight loss program. Keep it up.

Hope everyone has a great day. Take care.

Cheers,

MomTo2Boys
04-23-2002, 01:55 PM
Hey babette...how are ya? I havent seen you posting in on the mini challenges lately and then Crone told us you were over here on the blockettes thread for the 21 day challenge......so.....here I am as long as ya'll dont mind my hopping in on your group???

I have been so stressed out over the hopes of buying our first home only to be shot down at the very final part of the process.....then my littlest one had to have his adenoids out and tubes put in his ears beginning of month and now found out yesterday that the oldest needs his adenoids out and tonsils due to his snoring/sleep apnea/ sinus infections.......so needless to say...I have not been too faithful to myself or the WW's plan....but I am along with Crone on our little streak thread hoping if I dont committ myself so strongly right off.....maybe I can regroup myself and get myself remotivated and refocused......I need to be close to my goal weight by June 29...that was one of my original goals to be at goal for my first 10yr class reunion.....so......any extra support will help.......

Should I introduce myself and give you all a small bio on who I am etc??? Let me know!!!

Take care and good luck to you all......LisaL

Arabella
04-23-2002, 02:13 PM
Hi Mom, glad to have you on the block! I just find it hard to post to a lot of threads, and I like the idea of having the 21-day target as a means of changing habits. You don't have to post a bio -- none of the rest of us did. But if you read the first message in the thread it should help you get an idea. And you can substitute any goals that you want for the 21 days. (I was stuck trying to get past 3 days for quite a while, but as long as you keep starting over, it will work!)

I was just thinking this morning that during stressful times, trying to take it one day at a time (or even one morning, afternoon or evening) can be helpful. I would suggest that you set goals, but don't make them too severe while things are so stressful for you.

Good luck!

sweet tooth
04-23-2002, 02:20 PM
Babette - I know I am a long way from achieving this, but what happens when you are on Block 2 and go off your plan? Do you go to day 1 of Block 1, or day 1 of Block 2. Just wondering.

Arabella
04-23-2002, 02:57 PM
Well, Katrina is really the one that instigated this idea here, but I think I know what she'd say:

I hereby proclaim that should any intrepid Blockettes get beyond Block 1 that they only need return to the start of whatever block they are on! Wow, maybe some day i'll be stumbling around Block #2!

Arabella
04-24-2002, 08:17 AM
Good Morning, Blockettes!

Almost a week in. I'm adding to my list of :nono: I have to give up reading while I eat when I'm by myself, because it definitely makes eating more appealing to me. I ate yesterday when I was kind of borderline-hungry. I think I would have either waited longer or eaten less if I hadn't allowed myself to read at the table.

I'm going to fit in meditation to the mix, not as something that I have to do, block-wise, but something that I know is helpful. I just get into this mode where I tell myself I've got too much to do to do anything other than work, and that almost always causes trouble.

Mom, sorry you're having a rough time. Stuff with our kids is the worst, isn't it. I know that even though my son is 24 I still get pretty stressed out when he has difficult patches. Hang in there. Make sure to look after yourself -- the better shape you're in (physically, mentally, spiritually) the better it will be for your whole family.

The whole house-buying experience is full of stress. We just bought a house a few months ago. Not the less expensive, perfectly done and landscaped house that I LOVED, but a more expensive fixer-upper because my husband prefers the area. I'm still a little peeved over this and have to let it go, because it is not something that's going to change. Nevertheless, I have a new resolve to stand my ground and not knuckle under to DH, because it makes me resent him and is bad for our marriage -- not to mention it makes me unhappy...

Let's make this a great day, Blockettes!
xo
babette
7/212 (-3)/1

sweet tooth
04-24-2002, 11:34 AM
Happy hump day to everyone. I am soooo stressed out this week, but just need to get through 2 more days. I will need to take a vacation day tomorrow to study for a stats exam tomorrow night (haven't started yet), and then one of the kids and his girlfriend are coming to visit for the weekend...the house is in a constant state of renovations right now, so needs a major cleaning up before they come. Where will the time come from?

Yes, I am still OP...although I went slightly over on WW points yesterday, I had activity points and banked points to make up for it. Whew! That was close. Today will be a better day and I started it with a workout at the gym. I am doing weight training right now, with a little cardio, but not much of that. Next block (if I make it that far), I will need to concentrate on adding cardio exercise to my program. For now, this is all I can handle.

Babette - Congratulations! Another day OP. Way to go, girl. You can do this, I know. What is your ultimate goal for weight loss? By the stats on your signature, you are already doing awesome. You will soon be down to 'one'derland. Keep it up.

Mom - I really feel for you with the stress you are going through with your boys and the house, etc. Having been there, I don't envy your position right now, but be assured, things DO get better. However, like babette says, you will always be a mom and your kids will always need your help. As a parent of grown kids, I make it a point to be there when they need me, but not to meddle in their lives. When kids are sick, it is really difficult to watch them suffer. I will think of you often while you are going through this time with your boys. Take care of yourself, though, or you won't have the strength to carry on.

Take care, everyone and have a great week.

MomTo2Boys
04-24-2002, 12:16 PM
Peggy and Babette...thanks so much for you words of wisdom and your thoughts for me....I think DH and I are at the point right now after being let down on the house deal so close to the end....that we are just going to find a good rental right now and start busting our humps to save as much as we can and then maybe in a year start the whole buying process over again...although now we know not to get all excited like they had us until the signed papers are in hand......as for the boys....I hate seeing them go thru surgeries ( slight as they might be, but they still have to go under for them ) but I know in the long run it will be for the best.....!!!

I dont have much time right now to really post how I am doing...but I will later when the little one takes his nap.....but again...thanks so much to you both!!!

Take care and have a great day....LisaL

katrinabgood
04-24-2002, 12:50 PM
Wow, this little thread is really thriving now! So good to see everyone here! I, myself, being on a perpetual Day 1 lately, congratulate everyone on their "streaks" and for hanging in and starting over when necessary!

Babette...you go girl! You are really focused...good for you! Tai chi is definitley on my list of "things to try." (I actually just got up to check gym schedule for the next class...there's one tomorrow night at 6 pm...hopefully I can get there...) Thanks for popping in at the other thread to share info about steroids...I'm going to hold off on the cream for a while (try an alternative) and see what happens...I'll keep you posted.

To everyone else...I would love to acknowledge each of you individually but I just saw what time it is and I have ONCE AGAIN been on this computer WAY too long!!!! Suffice it to say, I wish GOOD LUCK to each and every one of you...I did not make up the rules of the 21 day challenge...just "borrowed" them from an ediets thread...I think that these rules should be used as guidelines, but you can modify them to suit your own particular lifestyle and needs. The idea being that you set goals for yourself and follow them for 21 days straight...the time it supposedly takes for a new habit to take hold. If you are in Block 2 and stumble...I would definitely NOT tell you to go back to Block 1!!!!! It's taking me too long to get through it...once I do, there will be NO turning back! Start again at the beginning of your current block!

I'll try to check in more frequently...take care, all!

blissbeau
04-25-2002, 06:29 PM
Day 6.. and Thursday.. the day to weigh.. ok so OP for 6 days.. no weightloss.. I lost 4 last week OP, don't know what's happening here. I enjoy your posts.

a little 'bout me that you don't know:

I am a SAHM.. I have 5 kids. Oldest Jen, she's 20, married and lives close by.. Next Sarah, she's 18 and in Europe right now, having just finished up a semester of college in London, she and some friends are "seeing" Europe.. Next Matt, he's 16 ok HS student, Next Marc and Meg, twin 7yo's. They are adopted. God saw fit to add to our family that we thought we were done with.
:)

Oh I have this great dh.. so supportive with all that I do.

Enough of me..

Hoping to get to know you all better,

bliss:D

Arabella
04-25-2002, 07:05 PM
I started another thread, because this one was over 50 posts. Same name, but so much shorter -- Post there!