Weight Loss Support - waking up in the middle of the night

kaytlin90
07-25-2008, 08:22 PM
I found myself since I started dieting that I often wake-up for some unknown reason in the middle of the night and I just move a whole lot before I am able to fall asleep again. what could it be due to, i thought maybe hunger but well I generally do not feel hungry when I wake up.

luckymommy
07-25-2008, 08:34 PM
If you're eating enough calories during the day, then it's not hunger, so be sure you're having enough. Also, have you increased your caffeine? Sometimes, in an effort to shed weight, people drink more tea or have more coffee as a way to keep cravings at bay. Be sure not to consume anything of that sort after 12 noon. I don't really have any other answer. Maybe it's like withdrawl? Maybe your body misses some of the foods? Have you eliminated or drastically decreased carbs? Either way, hopefully you'll get used to it soon and get back to your normal sleeping patterns. If nothing works, maybe take a hot bath prior to going to sleep? Maybe you could do things that help you to relax more. Just a few thoughts...not sure if any of them are useful.

Lori Bell
07-25-2008, 08:38 PM
Sounds a little like anxiety. Also, you mentioned in another thread that you are missing periods...are you old enough for Peri-menopause? Are you hot when you wake up?...Heart beating hard?

kaytlin90
07-25-2008, 09:03 PM
I'm only 21 so it's definatly not menopause.

JayEll
07-25-2008, 10:17 PM
How long have you been on your weight loss plan? It could be that your body is just trying to adjust. :)

Jay

beautifulone
07-25-2008, 11:08 PM
Kaytlin, I know you said that you don't feel hungry but if you have ignored your hunger signals then you may not be noticing them anymore or as much. Are you eating enough calories? The healthy MINIMUM for women is 1200 per day.

In previous posts it's sounded like you may not be getting enough calories, which would explain why you are missing your periods. Cause at 21, that's not common and - not to scare you in any way and not to say it's a sign of illness - but it's not usually a sign of health either (unless you are pregnant of course).

The difficulty sleeping could also be due to stress, anxiety, or depression, among other things.

sh3l5
07-26-2008, 05:05 AM
i always wake in the night....
but its due to me drinking too much water in the day!....

djs06
07-26-2008, 02:11 PM
Try taking Melatonin XR. You can get it at GNC- it's an amino acid, and they recommended it to my mom instead of a sleeping pill because it's natural and she's on lots of medication.

I use regular melatonin because I have trouble falling asleep- mostly anxiety or the thing where I flinch just as I"m falling asleep and wake myself back up. It works very well.