PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2002, 11:04 AM   #1  

Question new here PCOS question

I went to the Dr about 5 years ago because I was getting a goat tee and I had tried for over a year to get pregnant. They did blood test and found that my testostrone was out the roof. The Dr put me on spironolactone and told me she thought i may have PCOS. but what i don't understand is she said i had the syndrome but not the cyctic ovaries is this possible? she didn't do any ultrasounds or anything like that to prove it. Well, i moved to another state and got pregnant with my first child. I have recently given birth to my 2nd child and after I get through breastfeeding i want to find out if i have this disease or not. It took me 2 years to concieve my daughter and i wasn't using birth control after her and 2 years later i was pg with my son. I'm so happy i have been blessed with my 2 kids. I have ALOT of the symptoms of PCOS. TIA!
Old 03-26-2002, 12:43 PM   #2  
Simple is Good!

S/C/G: 345/323.6/299

Height: 5'6"

Yes, it is possible to have PCOS and NOT have systic ovaries.

Have you been to www.soulcysters.com ? It is a great site for women with PCOS, and there's a WONDERFUL message board. Check it out!
Old 04-22-2002, 12:59 PM   #3  

Default PCOS

Hi,
The more I read about PCOS, the more convinced I am that this could be my problem.

I have the horrible jawline acne, usually 2-3 breakouts every couple of months for the last 5-6 years. They take at least 2-3 weeks to go away.

I have been plagued with skin tags for at least 20 years. I am 37 and trying to lose weight. I am a carbohydrate addict.

I had a thyroid test done and that was not my problem. I've taken Prometrium for my female issues. This didn't really seem to help.

My question is, how is this diagnosed?
Is there some sort of test out there that can be used?
I read on this forum that cysts are not necessary to be diagnosed with PCOS.
I think I'm going to mention this to my gynecologist on the next visit and in the meantime read some more on the topic.

Thanks for any information you provide.
Old 04-23-2002, 12:37 PM   #4  
Simple is Good!

S/C/G: 345/323.6/299

Height: 5'6"

A great place to go and really learn about PCOS is www.soulcysters.com - not only is it FULL of resources, but there is also a message board like this where you can ask questions and get support.

I'm still going through a mulitude of tests to see if I truly have PCOS. Honestly, I'm not 100% sure about all the tests required, but I've done blood tests and had a pelvic sonogram. My problem may not be PCOS- it may just be insulin resistance, which has a lot of the same symptoms, and is actually a symptom of PCOS...LOL...if that makes any sense.

Check out that site and I hope it answers your questions.
Old 04-30-2002, 07:02 PM   #5  

Default Hi, I am new here BUT...

I was diagnosed with Stein-Levanthal back before any tests were done and MRI/catscans/specific bloodwork etc... did not exist...my doc said if it walks like a duck and looks like a duck...guess it is a duck or in this case Stein-Levanthal Syndrome--a list of symptoms that equaled what is now called PCOS...

I have a child to whom I gave birth, I have plucked my chin for thirty or so years and once I turned 45 I started to have regular periods. I have not tried nor have I been offered any of the new things that are being done for PCOS...I just keep on keeping on...

Roni
Old 06-19-2002, 12:56 PM   #6  

The often confusing this about PCOS, is that not all women are the same. You can have 1 symptom and still be diagnosed, or you may have all of the symptoms.

The name itself is the #1 reason to blame why even in the medical field, there is so much confusion and women who aren't diagnosed.

You do not have to have cysts to have PCOS.

You can either have children already or be pregnant to have PCOS.

roni..I heard that at a certain age, the PCOS seems to "reverse" itself. Do you find this to be true?

Freedom..Have you received any answers from all of your test work? I have my fingers crossed for you.

1 fab chick..I was diagnosed when I was 22 years old. This was of course after having all of my gyn's tell me I was just fat and crazy. lol It was determined by blood work, sonogram and my cycle history and weight. There isn't just one test that can determine it. Finding a doctor who is educated with Endocrine Disorders is the 1st step you must take. Then all else will fall into place.

Closed Thread