Old 07-23-2008, 03:47 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 195/190/150

Height: 5'9"

Default Calorie counting rant

I have a problem counting calories. It is so time consuming to figure out how many calories are in each thing I put in my mouth. I am constantly counting adn I feel like I have OCD or something. I count out exactly 10 pretzels, 15crackers or a cup of cereal...I know that if I ate frozen meals it would be easier but I like to cook. For example, I cooked dinner the other night and it took me like 2 hours to cook something simple because I had to measure everything out. Before I would just cook and it was quick and easy and good. I am not a big measurer unless I am baking. I use the piches and dollups method but now I have to count everything adn follwo recipes exactly adn it is kind of annoying. I knowit is better for me (and my husband) but it is taking the fun out of cooking for me. Anyone else? Is there anyone who doesn't count calories and still has successful weight loss?
A Red Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:01 PM   #2  
Changing for the better

Calorie counting works very well as a tool for weight loss, but it's not for everyone. You need to find what works for YOU! I completely agree with you; I watch what I eat and try to include a variety of fruits, veggies, whole grains, lean protein, etc. in my diet, but I do NOT bother with meticulously recording the number of calories of each item that goes into my mouth. I just know that it would end up driving me crazy, since I am a perfectionist - I would probably freak out if I went over my calories for the day. And it's not something I want to do for the rest of my life!

Anyways, to answer your question, YES, there are TONS of people who have found success without counting calories. It is completely possible to be aware of what you are eating (and just as importantly, how much) without becoming a "calorie counter." You can either choose a program, such as South Beach or Weight Watchers; do your own thing; or pick and choose from the plans you like to create a personal one that's good for YOU.
Kitegirl24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:07 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I think most people, to lose weight, especially as they get close to goal often do have to count "something." Carbs, calories, points, exchanges.... South Beach doesn't require you to count anything, but there are lists of food that you need to avoid, which can be just as annoying as counting.

You might find counting something else easier, but I think the counting itself is pretty much inevitable for many of us. You could try mindful eating and any of the uncounting plans and see if any work well for you. If they do, then you don't have to count. If they don't you may have to come back to counting, but could try counting something else to see if you like it better.

The important thing is you find something that works, that you can be ok with doing.

Last edited by kaplods; 07-23-2008 at 04:11 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:08 PM   #4  
KLK
Karen: La Cicciona

S/C/G: Sz 24-26 / Sz 12-14 / Sz 6-8

Height: 5' 4"

I lost 80 lbs without counting calories.

I think counting calories is tedious too (I did it for a brief period) but I think it's beneficial and I think I may actually take it up again starting tomorrow because I'm sensing that I might not be eating enough calories (even though I eat until I feel satisfied and full) bc my weightloss is at a stall and I exercise everyday and eat healthily. So I just want to try to do it mathematically. But if you hate tracking calories, you don't have to. I lost a lot of weight and never counted a single calorie.
KLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:16 PM   #5  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

my diet has me count "blocks", so i am allowed 6 carb blocks a day, one piece of bread is one block, etc. I find it easier than calorie counting, and you dont have to try to keep as many numbers in my head, but its still counting i guess
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:22 PM   #6  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

i don't count calories i've lost 70 pounds so far. I'd have lost more but i tend to indulge on my plan...

i rarely weigh or measure either....
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:26 PM   #7  
Here I go again

S/C/G: 201/see ticker/135

Height: 5'6

I too have an "obsession" in counting calories. I feel like if I cannot eat any food that I cannot find a nutrition label on it b/c of the unknown calories it has. I can estimate or try to find it on daily plate but I feel uneasy about it. If I am going out to eat somewhere, I go online and try to find their menu and nutrition facts and choose from what's best for me. It does get to be annoying but its worked in my diet so far. A little inconvenience is worth it I think.
BoopRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:45 PM   #8  
I will do this.

I think you should stick with it just a little while longer. And soon you will be able to "eye-ball" a tablespoon or a cup of cereal. I use this trick all the time when I eat out.

There are also methods of measuring meat, cheese, crackers with the palm on your hand. http://weightloss.about.com/library/blmeasure.htm That way you can measure without feeling like a ball and chain to your measuring tools.

I HATED measuring out everything when I first started - but now I love it. I know exactly how much I am eating and how many calories I am having so it takes the guessing game out of it. And if I end up not loosing one week I can look back into my food journal when I was loosing weight and see exactly what was working for me.

Also I think that joining TheDailyPlate.com would help. You can add your foods into it's database, press "I ate that today" and it will add your calories for you so it is always on your computer and you don't have to do the math!

Sometimes I am even awed at the fact I can eat the things I love within reason because I measure them. Light sour cream, bbq sauce, cheese, meats...measuring as totally been a blessing for me.

I know that people can lose weight without measuring or counting calories and is measuring and counting is not for you and making you angry than don't do it! Either way I am sure you will lose weight!

Last edited by Taylor86; 07-23-2008 at 04:50 PM.
Taylor86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:47 PM   #9  
life is a joy

Last edited by happiness; 09-24-2010 at 03:28 PM.
happiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 05:00 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/180

Height: 5'5

Red Head,

It is possible to lose weight without counting calories! Me personally, I had to keep a count of what I ate. I lost 120 lbs doing the calorie counting. I am right now doing South Beach to get over my sugar addiction. Once I overcome that I might go back to my other method of eating (calorie counting) ....BUT with without candy. Although, I do the South Beach I keep a general tally in my head of the calories I have consumed. In fact, I miss calorie counting. I enjoy journalling and seeing my acheivements in writing. Once I am in maintanence, I wont be so strict on calorie counting but just eating healthy. Right now I have to hold myself accountable. I want to be very diligent in getting this weight off. Counting calories for a year or year and a half is worth it to me!
RoyalAthena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 05:25 PM   #11  

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoopRN View Post
I too have an "obsession" in counting calories. I feel like if I cannot eat any food that I cannot find a nutrition label on it b/c of the unknown calories it has. I can estimate or try to find it on daily plate but I feel uneasy about it. If I am going out to eat somewhere, I go online and try to find their menu and nutrition facts and choose from what's best for me. It does get to be annoying but its worked in my diet so far. A little inconvenience is worth it I think.
This is EXACTLY what I was going to say! I have a little panic attack when I'm getting ready to go out to eat somewhere and can't find nutrition information. After calorie counting for a long while you pretty much get a very good idea of what is in everything. You learn, especially when you go out, what you need to substract and watch for in a meal. I've lost 14 pounds over all counting calories, 9 pounds in just the last 5 weeks or so, so even though it can't get a little tiring and OCD feeling, it is definitely worth it.

Good Luck!
tater tash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 05:36 PM   #12  

I completely agree with you that counting calories can take the fun out of cooking (and even eating, sometimes). I lost 50 lbs. counting calories and maintained it for a couple of years. I got so good at calorie counting that I could tell you the calories in any given food off the top of my head. But it did become tedious, and ultimately, I regained most of the weight because I couldn't do it longterm.

I am currently on a strict, but TEMPORARY, calorie-counting diet to get off a chunk of weight, but I have no intention of counting calories for the rest of my life. I have already looked into the maintenance plan I will be on. It's called the No-S diet (Google it). It's pretty straightforward: 3 reasonable meals a day---no snacks, seconds, or sweets, except on S days (Saturday, Sunday, and Special occasions--e.g., birthdays, anniverseries, etc.). There's a No-S diet forum, and people are losing on that plan (slowly for the most part), so I feel it would be a good, simple maintenance plan.

Good luck to you!
lynnm39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 05:44 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 327/270/199

Height: 5'11

Counting calories makes me be real with myself. I can't deny what I put in my mouth and the daily plate helps me be accountable to what I eat.

I love looking back after I've had a hard day and look back and say I did that! I didn't go off plan and I did it and here's my proof. No one will ever see it but I do and soon others will see the proof in the way I look.
Here we go again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 05:45 PM   #14  
last time

S/C/G: 228/see ticker/168

Height: 5'8"

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitne...r-abs-of-steel

follow this link it has helped me stay on track. counting calories doesnt work for me anymore but following these 6 guidelines does! hope this helps!

if the link doesnt work go to womenshealthmag.com and search for the abs diet. dont let the title mislead u it isnt really a diet at all
bjeweled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 06:12 PM   #15  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

I would think if you are used to preparing food by "eyeballing" amounts that you may want to focus on measuring high calorie dense items like nuts, oils, salad dressing, peanut butter etc. and continuing to eyeball high fiber vegetables and other low calorie dense items. Being off by half a cup on green peppers isn't going to throw you day's calorie count off by a significant amount. Being off by a teaspoon in oil could. Just something else to consider.
WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote