South Beach Diet - Tuesday Toasting On The Beach

View Full Version : Tuesday Toasting On The Beach

cottagebythesea
07-22-2008, 06:04 AM
:coffee: Good morning! Coffee's on!

Yet another steamy day ahead. :cool: There isn't anything planned today, so I'm going to bring the girls over here to swim all day. I'll be happy to see the end to this heat wave. It's just unbearable to spend much time outside.

I'm gearing myself up to get over to Curves this morning. I haven't been there since school let out, what with one thing and another, but now I've run out of excuses and it's time to get my butt back in gear!

femmecreole
07-22-2008, 06:21 AM
Morning Cottage (and all who follow!)
Have fun at Curves...it'll be great once you get there!! And have fun with the girls too. It's hot here too...mostly in the high 90's and brutal.

I was planning on putting on a pot of red beans in a few minutes and for some reason I can't find the beans!! I know I bought a pack the other day. Geez. So I guess we will take my MIL out to eat when my husband gets home. I have a bunch of stuff to do today...errands and such and won't be home so I thought the slow cooker was my answer for the day. Oh well...I'm off to let Jillian Micheals kick my butt then start my day.

CyndiM
07-22-2008, 06:29 AM
Good morning :coffee2:

I'm all sluggy in the heat. Blah!

Cottage - Have fun in the pool. Maybe reading that you're going back to Curves will get me motivated again. Between the heat and the ever present rain I'm spending too much time at this computer.

Cat - Glad to hear I'm not the only one who eats hot spicy food in the heat ;) I made a vegetarian version of your red beans last week and they were really good. Thanks for the recipe!

Just another day of meetings here. How exciting.

Have a good day Chicks

Belle Mer
07-22-2008, 07:02 AM
Morning to all,

So today will be another HHH day in the 90's. Ugh. Some people hibernate in the winter, but I stay inside most of July, August, and September here in the South. I grew up in NY, and I still cannot abide the intense heat and humidity here. I've been out west when it is hot and dry, and that doesn't bother me nearly as much. We'd love to move west but DH work doesn't permit.

Today I take my puppy to the vet to have a routine bloodwork check, and work on my book for the rest of the day.

Cottage: Swimming sounds nice!

Cyndi: Have a good day despite the heat

Femme Creole: Enjoy your day!

newtothis2
07-22-2008, 07:13 AM
Good Morning all,
It's a foggy morning here in the hills of Pa.

Cottage, the pool sounds great! Wish i could enjoy some of that too.

Cat, Jillian would crush me into the ground and walk over me!

Cyndi, Hope your meeting go well.

I'll be in the office all day, i suspect. I imagine hurricane Dolly will our focus today.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Pat

mandyleigh
07-22-2008, 07:17 AM
Morning ladies!!

Just a quick fly by as I woke up late and with a headache...time to rush around and head out the door!!

Hot doesn't describe what it's been like here. Was driving home from work yesterday and nearly had to pull off the road to put the top up on the Jeep it was so darn hot that wind moving at 70 mph wasn't even helping! haha

Cat...did you ever make it over to the new Pig to check it out?? I still haven't been there....maybe one day this week!

Have a good one!!!

femmecreole
07-22-2008, 07:50 AM
Mandy, yep, hit the pig when I'm in a hurry cause it's on this side of town. It's ok. But I really like the new redone Winn Dixie...great produce section. Wish we'd get a Rouse's here or a Whole Foods.

Pacergal29
07-22-2008, 08:48 AM
Morning girls! It has cooled down here since the rain moved through lastnight! Thought I could get a walk in before it started and I was wrong! Didn't even get a full mile in lastnight. Tuesdays are my early morning so I only got 20 mins of yoga in today, but hey it's better than nothing right?

Zeff I meant to respond to your post yesterday but time got away from me. Glad to hear things went fairly well lastnight, hope this all works out. Just always remember to pick your words wisely. I had some issues with my mom and while I never said anything hateful to her, after she passed years later I regreted somethings I had said and never apologized for. We may not always agree with them but they usually only have what they think is best in mind for us.

Ok off my soap box! Cool thoughts coming everyones way! Have a good one chicks!

GONNABE165
07-22-2008, 08:54 AM
Quick check in for me as I don't have much to say except life is crazy -

Got a phone call around 3:30yesturday saying my aunt passed then got another phone call around 5:10pm saying another one of my aunts wasn't expected to make it through the nite (no more word on that yet) around 7:30 I got a phonme call from my church and Pastors wife passed and about 9:30 lastnite I gor a callform a very good friend of to say that one of her best friends died of a heart attack on the golf course earlier in the day.

Wow life is crazy.

Pacergal29
07-22-2008, 09:01 AM
:hug: to you gonna many prayers for strength and guidance over the next few days.

weezle
07-22-2008, 09:02 AM
Oy. Big storms came rolling through here last night so I didn't get to bed on time and I'm WIPED. :tired: That's what I get for being a meteorologist's daughter. I was outside watching until it rained so hard we couldn't stay out there anymore. Slept in, so no time for tea even!

I'm pleased to announce that my blood pressure is almost fixed. Pre-medication, it was 170/110. The only problem now is that I think my meds are a smidge too high of a dose because when I stand up or turn suddenly, I get the black fuzzies and sparklies (postural hypotension.) I had it taken twice yesterday: seated it was 116/84, and once I stood, it was 106/74. Not too drastic of a drop but apparently enough to affect me. But ****, both of those are WAY better than 170/110!

Just thought I'd pop in and say good morning. I'm going to have to jump in the shower here in a bit. I have another orientation at 10. Hope all you girls have a great day!

Lisa

weezle
07-22-2008, 09:03 AM
GONNA, dang. :hug: When it rains it pours huh? My prayers are with you and the families of those who've passed on.

JessieW
07-22-2008, 09:14 AM
gonna we're having a major bout of "when it rains, it pours" at work recently. Last week one of my coworker's gransons had a swingset fall on him and he died (5-year-old little boy). Then this weekend another coworker had her mom die from a massive heart attack--not sure how old Mom was but I am guessing 65 at the most, my coworker (and good friend) is in her mid 30s. Also another coworker has a grapefruit-sized tumor they found this week. It's enough to make you want to go hide under the covers.

I was in a terrible mood yesterday...just one of those days I was tired of being pregnant. I have terrible heartburn, am extremely tired, and it is just wearing on me to be at work every day already! Last night I bought stool softeners and Prilosec at Walgreens...felt like a true preggo. Here's hoping for some relief and a better mood today!

Cat, I think I have a bag of red beans in the pantry...may have to make red beans and rice soon. That sounds delicious!

hmacneil6
07-22-2008, 09:17 AM
Good morning ladies!!! Happy Tuesday!
Cottage - Enjoy your time at the pool with the girls, but enjoy more your time at Curves. We all know how important getting that exercise is!

Cat - Enjoy your day of errands and spending time with MIL. It's nice to hear that you have a good relationship with your MIL considering all of the drama that's been going around here. Enjoy her!

Belle - Hope the book is coming along well. Good luck at the vet today...I hope the pup does well.

Pat - Welcome to the daily chat! Have a good day!

Mandy - Hope your headache is getting better. Try to slow down and take a breather today.

Stephanie - Good job getting in what you could and not making excuses to skip exercise all together. Thanks for being a great example.

Gonna - Holy Moly!!!! I'm sorry it's all coming down right now. I hope you're able to find peace and be a source of comfort for those around you. Prayers are headed your way!

Weezle - Glad to hear that you got your bp almost under control. Let hope they truly figured it out.

Jessie - Wow, I'd want to crawl into bed and not leave. It's moments like these when I'm just glad to know that God is in control and that His timing is perfect. We may not understand why, but we know that He is there to comfort and let us know that He cares. Sending prayers your way as well.

Me - Nothing much in my neck of the woods. The weather has been cool and almost hazy. They keep saying that it's going to warm up....but it hasn't yet. I'm pretty certain that September is going to be super hot this year. Got laundry to do tonight, but other than that it should be a quiet day.
Have a fantastic Tuesday, ladies!
ENJOY!!!!

Pearlrose
07-22-2008, 10:48 AM
Good morning Chickies,

Gonna and Jessie my prayers and thoughts are with you.

Have a good day, Thanks

GONNABE165
07-22-2008, 11:04 AM
:hug: Thanks you guys your thoughts and concern mean so much :hug:

FluffyK
07-22-2008, 11:55 AM
(Can I come back?)

I haven't been here in MONTHS. Life got crazy, I gave up... stopped exercising, bounced my weight back up and fell apart.

But now, I have a group of friends and we have been supporting each other. I have gone back down the weight I had lost, plus a little more. My scale now weighs a number I haven't seen in a year or more.

I still have to get back into the exercise routine, but life is finally getting back to normal after my DH broke his arm and was out of work for a while (self employed = no pay).

So, I'm wondering if y'all will guide me a long again. I am off to go looking at the chick peas snack that everyone loved when I was here last.

Has Kara been around lately? She was in the process of a major move last time I was here.

Some of the rest of you were here when I was last, though. It's good to see you. :D

BTW, I remember someone doing this, and it has helped me. I'm following P2, but using WW points to keep me in check as well. It's helping me quite a bit!

Pacergal29
07-22-2008, 12:07 PM
Fluffy you know you are always welcome back here! We kept your spot open on the beach. Lots of new friends here and many of the old. Glad to have you back!

hmacneil6
07-22-2008, 12:13 PM
Welcome back Fluffy! Glad to hear you've come back to join us. As far as Kara goes, since she moved to Germany we haven't heard from her. But there's always a lot of support when you need it!

Barb0522
07-22-2008, 12:42 PM
Welcome back, Fluffy!

:hug: to gonna and jessie

I still haven't heard back from the district attorney's office. The criminal database hasn't been updated. I guess I'll hear something eventually.

Pearlrose
07-22-2008, 12:43 PM
Hi Fluffy, Welcome back and glad to hear that you are back on track.

Belle Mer
07-22-2008, 12:52 PM
Thoughts and prayers are with all with "issues" today.

FluffyK
07-22-2008, 12:58 PM
*whew* glad you saved me a spot.

I am actually roasting me some of those chick peas right now, and my kids keep asking when they will be done. :lol

zeffryn
07-22-2008, 02:32 PM
UPS finally delivered the maternity clothes that I ordered from OldNavy.com.

The shirts are big! I need them for our vacation next week so I don't have time to return them. I ordered a pair of jeans as well that are way way way too big....DH said that I might grow into them in the waistband....I might, but I would have to put on about 100 lbs. in my legs to make the butt and legs look normal. Back to the store they go, thankfully I have a pair of jeans from before pregnancy that still fit.

I think I'm going to wash the shirts (they are 100% cotton) in hot water to see if they will shrink a bit. They won't be that big when I get bigger, but still a little big in the chest and arms.

I did get a dark denim pencil skirt and a pair of trouser capris that fit really well and are really cute.

Yelie
07-22-2008, 03:09 PM
Hey there ladies! Still kinda been crazy around here with family in town but just popping in to say hi and catch up on reading :) Have a great day!

JessieW
07-22-2008, 03:22 PM
Zeff I had the same issue with shirts from Old Navy Maternity. My regular size is gigantic. I have one shirt I've kept trying on since 10 weeks and I think I've finally decided it will never fit right.

I do have a pair of khakis though that I adore and some yoga pants.

Fat Melanie
07-22-2008, 03:30 PM
Hello everyone,

YEEEEEEEEEEUUUUUUUUUUUUH!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm down to 195 lbs! *does a little dance* HELLS YEAH!!!!

*cough*

I got butt nekkid and weighed myself just to see, because although I've been trying to avoid the scale, I figured it was time to do the weekly weigh in. Was very happy that I've went down another 3 lbs. Re-weighed myself when I put my clothes back on; was surprised to see that my simple t-shirt and black pajama pants weigh 3-4 lbs!

Well here is what's going on in my boring life, maybe someone has some advice. In case anyone remembers the custody drama going on with my BF, well, DL (that stands for Dumb Lawyer) is trying to get his mother's "testimony" impeached... or rather, is trying to have her impeached from the trial, I guess. I have a feeling that since he's trying to do that, he knows how much impact her BS and lies would actually have on a judge. And that's scary, because who knows if that plan will even work. Then that evil manipulator will have her say in the courtroom and that's not good. I am scared about having to testify in court... Lol, I will probably have an anxiety attack.

Speaking of disorders, my BF is bipolar. Took a long time for him to admit that he needed help (his disorder plus his mother's interference and lies ruined his marriage.) He finally did, just before it ruined our relationship and has been going to counseling and taking 2 different medications (and his psychologist is going to court with him.) Well the past couple of days he's been going into rages over irrational things, being very paranoid and acting way different.

I KNEW he went off his meds. I KNEW it. I kept confronting him about it, but that's his problem, he will lie and lie and lie and deny forever. He's in serious denial about so many things (like the fact that he really loved his wife and had a mental breakdown when she left!) Finally after a big blowup and fight with us last night, he admitted he stopped taking them, because he thought since he was better, he didn't need them anymore, and plus, he feels like taking the pills means there's something wrong with him and he doesn't want to admit that something is. I explained to him that he cannot help having bipolar disorder (and um, intermittent explosive disorder and the psychiatrist who prescribes the meds used 'schizophrenia' as a blanket term to describe all of his illnesses together), but unfortunately nothing can cure it. And to be better and to continue being better, he has to continue taking his pills, maybe for life. Being able to admit that you have a problem and cooperating with treatment shows that you are making an effort. It's nothing to be embarrassed about... So this morning, he started back on them, right in front of me.

Sometimes dealing with this is hard. People with such disorders often have a habit of feeling like they're better (because of the pills) and then stop taking them, and he's done this several times now. I told him he just can't keep doing this, especially if he is to have his daughter back in the home. I asked him did he want me to go up in court and stand up with him and proclaim him to be a good person and a good father? Then he needs to continue with his treatment and not let the petty anxieties about it get him down.

Anybody else involved with someone who has mental illness but is a decent human being for the most part? Or has mental illness themselves? God, sometimes I get so furious. We've been doing so good.. but then he went off the meds. And I knew it! Nothing can get past me.

There is cat food all over the kitchen floor and living room floor (which bf's ex-wife helped me vaccum the other day! Our vac's been broke) and it depresses me. Sometimes I just don't want to even deal with this crap but I know he has a problem and that he is a good guy and he is a wonderful father. But he's got a lot of rage directed at women, and me and ex wife know why. (Mommy Dearest...) This is not the sort of behavior he can do with kids around... not that he did, or ever has, but he could get out of control. Taking the pills and continuing with the therapy is the best treatment. He can't help that he has the illness. But he has to stop using his illness as an excuse for his behavior. He's the one with the power to get better by continuing on his meds and therapy. He is the only one who can choose to swallow those pills each day.

Any advice?

Sorry for the long drama but I didn't give the whole run down on our fight last night. I don't want to get into it. I'm just depressed, upset, feeling low, feeling pity for him because I know he's sorry... but there's only so much I can do to help. I thought I had helped him, I thought I was the one to break through to him that he truly had a problem. His ex wife was never able to do that... so I feel proud I was able to. And everything has been so good... but he went off the meds and the personality change was distinct. Jekyll and Hyde... He went between so many mood switches and personality switches last night in just mere minutes that it was truly a scary, creepy thing. Don't know any other way to explain it... I know it must be hard to have to deal with that. But he CAN control it, he CAN. The power is in his hands.

Sorry again. Just feel really low and crappy today.

Told him if he won't comply with his meds than I can't go to court with him. Will go with ex-wife, but can't go with him.

cocowgirl
07-22-2008, 03:39 PM
Good morning my beach buddies!
Just checking in...
Hot today almost 100...but even though its dry heat it's still hot!!
Working on day 7 phase one today...started off slow...was reading and almost forgot breakfast til 11am...

My thoughts and prayer go to all with issues and those not feeling well..and skinny vibes to all...
Cottage: Enjoy the pool...wish i had one in this heat...:)
Cat: Is that Jillian Michaels workout your doing called Shred? If so how do you like it? i just ordered it from Amazon..cant wait for it to arrive...
Everyone have a great today...I'll be checking in off and on today...

Sara

cocowgirl
07-22-2008, 03:48 PM
:congrat: Melanie!!
Way to go on your scale victory!!
Sorry you are going through all that right now...keep your chin up and try not to let it get you down...

Sara

:carrot: :dust: :broc:

Barb0522
07-22-2008, 03:56 PM
:hug: Melanie - Stay strong. It sounds like you are doing the right thing. I've wondered if Robert has some type of mental illness, at least, paranoia but he's never been diagnosed. I'm sure he has had depression. And it has only gotten worse since I asked for a divorce.

zeffryn
07-22-2008, 03:59 PM
Mel - be careful with men who set a precedent for lying....

Congrats on the loss! Just what you need to motivate you to stick through the rest of P1....P2 is so much easier to deal with. :)

JerseyGirrl
07-22-2008, 04:01 PM
Melanie...although I don't really have any advice for you I can relate to what you are going through. My mother is bipolar but refuses to continue getting help or taking meds and on top of that she is a raging alcoholic. She went into rehab when I was 12 and was sober until about 4 years ago. She went from not even eating food that was cooked with alcohol due to fear of waking a demon to drinking from the minute her eyes open to the minute they close. And often wakes up during the night and needs a drink to fall back asleep. I allowed her to drive me almost clinically insane for 3 1/2 years. I moved out 2 years ago because I couldn't deal with her anymore or my father who also went down the same path(rehab when I was little then joined her drinking again). I know all about the Jekyl and Hyde thing. She is a total stranger when drunk. She's either a happy stupid drunk or an angry violent drunk. It even got to the point where I lost my job because of her. Whenever she would get drunk and fight with my father she would call the office all day long to the point where they had no choice but to ask me to leave. She would even get arrogant with the secretary when she would tell her I was in a meeting. I beat myself up trying to get her to quit drinking and take bipolar meds. I would allow myself to personalize it all and think "how could she do this to ME and MY family...she can't love us if she doesn't care how bad she's hurting us" The past few months I've been able to come to terms with the fact that we can not help those who aren't willing to help themselves or refuse to see a problem. I've learned to seperate the bipolar alcoholic from my Mom(the woman I know is still there deep down inside who I love and miss very much). I don't allow the actions of the bipolar alcoholic to hurt me anymore because I know they aren't coming from my Mom. They are coming from a sick woman who needs help. She now has to go get tested for throat cancer. There's a price to pay for all the actions we take I guess.

Wow ok I didn't even realize I typed so much. Sorry for the rant and lack of advice just wanted to let you know you are not alone!

Belle Mer
07-22-2008, 04:13 PM
Melanie, I wish you the best with your BF issues.

Some bipolar people go off their meds when they are going toward "manic" because they start feeling better, but it really isn't a good idea. (I have a good friend who is bipolar and we have been through a lot together.)

femmecreole
07-22-2008, 04:24 PM
Cat: Is that Jillian Michaels workout your doing called Shred? If so how do you like it? i just ordered it from Amazon..cant wait for it to arrive...
Everyone have a great today...I'll be checking in off and on today...

Sara

Sara, yep that's it. It is a KILLER!!! Keep in mind I'll be 53 in a couple of months though. But I'm on level 2 now and keeping up now and can really see the difference. My husband was commenting how strong my legs are and I am really seeing a difference in my arms (bingo wings are almost gone) and noticing a big difference in my tummy which is finally going down more. I've had 3 c-sections and a hysterectomy (not the cute little bikini cuts) so I know I'll never have great abs again, but I'm a believer in the dvd big time. Huff Puff!!!!!!!! aughhhhhh.

Belle Mer
07-22-2008, 04:40 PM
Bingo Wings?

Love that! Never heard it before!

EofAZ
07-22-2008, 06:12 PM
I've been telling my daughters that if I ever break down to get tattoos I was getting butterflies tattooed on my wings so they flutter in the wind when I’m waiving. I figured that has got to be more fun then watching the skin waggle around.

cocowgirl
07-22-2008, 06:39 PM
Cat~
Thanks...I'm really looking forward to it...I love Jillian Michaels.
Sara