South Beach Diet - What's for Dinner 7/21 - 7/27

View Full Version : What's for Dinner 7/21 - 7/27

hmacneil6
07-21-2008, 09:35 AM
The dinner bell is ringing.....What are you putting on the table this week???

Tonight we're having Diet Coke Sloppy Joes on WW buns w/ a giant Green salad.

Creamy strawberry jello for dessert this week.

zeffryn
07-21-2008, 09:48 AM
oh man, sloppy joes sound good. I think I might go pick up the stuff for them.

I have some chicken in the fridge that needs to be used, though...

Ruthxxx
07-21-2008, 09:55 AM
The Hyper Pypers will be here for dinner so it'll be a blow-out. I have a very lean pork loin marinating and will do that with roasted potatoes for them only. I'll also do green beans and salad and partake freely. Dessert will be rum cake with ice cream and blueberries but I'll have just the berries and yogurt. This is going to be a rough week!

bkstitch
07-21-2008, 11:24 AM
Where is the recipe for the Diet Coke Sloppy Joes? It sounds wonderful.

Belle Mer
07-21-2008, 12:05 PM
Leftover lentil soup a big salad and broccoli. Blueberries and ricotta for dessert

hmacneil6
07-21-2008, 12:29 PM
bkstich - I found it on recipezaar. I'll definately post tomorrow to let you all know how they turned out.

GONNABE165
07-21-2008, 12:34 PM
tonite is shrimp and vegetable stir fry over brown rice

eawrigh1
07-21-2008, 01:19 PM
Chicken fajitas (minus the tortillas)!

rhubarb pie
07-21-2008, 03:17 PM
Vegatable mousaka was tonight and it was delish

EofAZ
07-21-2008, 03:51 PM
I'm trying the White Bean Soup with Roasted Turkey Italian Sausage, Zucchini, and Basil From Kalyn's Kitchen only I used venison sausage since it is supper lean and already in the freezer. I have it in the crockpot as we speak. I'll let you know how it turns out. I'll add the final ingredience when I get home, turn it on high and go workout while it finishes up.

I've got the Cola Chicken Sloppy Joes scheduled for tomorrow night, already pulled it out of the freezer so it will be ready to warm through.

Dessert: Espresso Custard Cup, turned out OK, I’ll make it again but with a little less espresso.

femmecreole
07-21-2008, 04:00 PM
Pork tenderloin in wine and french roasting spices.
Zuchinni "spaghetti" with onions and creole seasoning and parm cheese.
Caprese salad

EofAZ
07-21-2008, 04:26 PM
I need to thank whoever mentioned that they liked mixing Rotel and beans as SB. I fixed DH some spaghetti last night, he’s Italian and been really quietly suffering while I’ve been experimenting with new beach recipes. Sooo I gave him a treat. For myself (since I’m on phase 1.5 and this week I’ve added oatmeal back into eating) I just threw together a can of pinto beans and I didn’t have the Rotel so I added a can of diced tomatoes with sweet onions and a can of diced green chilies. Topped it with a sprinkle of lf cheese and a dollop of lf sour cream and I thought I had died and gone to heaven. Oh that was so good, thx for mentioning it because it will be a regular at my table. I packaged the leftovers up for some lunches this week. It was so easy, so good and I appreciated the recommendation so much.

Fat Melanie
07-21-2008, 04:54 PM
Tonight I am making the Chicken Divan recipe from the sticky posted under the recipes, and I am excited. I've never used curry powder before in a recipe but it sounds so delicious...

I'm gonna try a piece of this chocolate ricotta cheesecake I made last night, but I'm not very hyped. I tried some last night and it was kinda ew. I should have just kept it as was, coca ricotta creme. (I mixed in egg to attempt making a cheesecake.) Hopefully after chilling in the fridge all day, it will be much better.

zeffryn
07-21-2008, 05:27 PM
Mel, I found that the cheesecakes tasted kind of weird right after they had come out of the oven.....but after chilling in the fridge, they were good!

Man...I might make more of those, they were yummy. I didn't make mine chocolate though, I made mini cheesecakes and added some sf jello to flavor it.

I wonder if you could use sf pudding mix to flavor instead of cocoa and splenda...

femmecreole
07-21-2008, 05:48 PM
I was just thumbing through my new copy of "Louisiana Cooking" magazine. There was an ad for Mahatma rice in there with a recipe that looked so fantastic...so I found it on their site (http://www.mahatmarice.com/en-us/recipes/1881/CrabLemongrassJasmineRiceTower.aspx). Of course you can sub brown rice. This looks great for a dinner party etc. They also have a section of diabetic recipes that most look like would be up our alley:

CyndiM
07-21-2008, 06:45 PM
Garden season continues - sauteed kale, yellow squash with onions & sage, & veggies burgers

cottagebythesea
07-21-2008, 06:56 PM
A veggie burger with artichoke and asiago cheese brushetta topping, and a salad. Leftover SF chocolate fudge mousse pie for dessert.

SunshineCA
07-21-2008, 08:25 PM
~Leftovers~

~Mustard Crusted Steak
~Green Beans
~Tossed Salad
~Fresh Fruit (strawberries, cantaloupe, grapes, etc.)

newtothis2
07-21-2008, 08:28 PM
I made the taco bake (my family loves it), chicken parm (family loves it) and philly cheesesteak (family loves it). Since we all work different shifts, they can heat up whatever they choose. I do the same. I know they are getting some healthy food for at least one meal.

Pat

halfbakedtulip
07-21-2008, 08:35 PM
Im ashamed to say tonights dinner was 2 brownies with icing yikes/!!!:?:

cocowgirl
07-21-2008, 08:39 PM
Dinner tonight was a turkey burger w/green beans and mushrooms...
fudge pop later for snack...

:carrot: :dust: :carrot:

zeffryn
07-21-2008, 11:13 PM
I'm making dinner right now....it is way too late to be eating, but baby needs it and DH is super hungry. DS ate before we left for the in-laws, so he's sleeping happily.

We're having turkey sloppy joes - basically onions, garlic and shredded carrots mixed with ground turkey, tomato paste, crushed tomatoes, worcestershire sauce, tabasco, apple cider vinegar and honey. mmmmmmmmmmmm. I have some sprouted wheat buns to serve. We're also having some parmesan, garlic and olive oil sweet potato fries.

I think I'm just going to have a bowl of yogurt...all that food at this late an hour doesn't really appeal. DH can have my portion for lunch tomorrow.

erikalea
07-21-2008, 11:41 PM
Tonight was pork chops on the Foreman grill, salad, and corn for the boys. Tomorrow will be sirloin steak, also on the Foreman grill, with a yummy spice rub from Harry & David with fresh broccoli and maybe rice for the boys (I'm still on phase 1 - no rice yet!) Is the chicken parm recipe on the recipe pages? I might want to make that for my bf Wednesday...

Tomorrow after I drop the boys at camp I'm going to make the cheesecake, cupcake style. Can't wait to try them!

mandyleigh
07-22-2008, 12:00 AM
tonight was a lazy night for supper....sliced ham with avacado and swiss on top then put under the broiler for a few minutes and a lemony asparagus salad later was a sf choco chip cookie and a spoon full of the almond joy yogurt...mmmm....

cottagebythesea
07-22-2008, 06:13 AM
Supper tonight's going to be Taco Bake with lots of extra veggies thrown in, served over a big salad.

Belle Mer
07-22-2008, 07:05 AM
Bison Chili, salad, and a veggie-not sure which one yet, maybe kale or broccoli rabe.

For dessert, fruit plus ricotta. I have to find some fruit today. I bought blueberries the other day, but when I opened the package last night, I discovered that they were past their prime. I'd love some cherries, but I have to be careful with them because I can eat an entire pound in one sitting. I'm thinking maybe strawberries this time.

hmacneil6
07-22-2008, 09:27 AM
OK....so the Diet Coke Sloppy Joe was fantastic last night. I added a green pepper and made the arrowroot 3T. And dh was late, so it simmered a good hour. It was fantastic. I'll be sure to add it to the recipe threads.

Tonight we're having Parmesan crusted tilapia, zucchini veggie medley, and a big green salad.

zeffryn
07-22-2008, 10:26 AM
I have no idea...I'm just not very original lately...

I want to have ribs...but they are in the freezer and will never defrost by this evening. Maybe tomorrow.

I think it might end up being beef kebabs with peanut sauce, DH loves that. I remember making it my first day of SB when he was really nervous about the food he was going to have to eat....he ate some and told me that it was ok that I do this diet if all the food was that good.

EofAZ
07-22-2008, 02:06 PM
Well my White Beans and Turkey Sausage wasn't ready last night when I got home, the beans still needed a little more cooking so I thawed the Cola Chicken and had that instead. Turkey Sausage will be warmed up for this evening, sure smelled wonderful but the proof is in the taste (and whether DH gives a thumbs up).

zeffryn
07-22-2008, 02:34 PM
I changed my mind on the beef... I have chicken that needs to be cooked!

I also went into the garden today to find that I have a lot of basil that needs to be harvested, so I made a pesto.

I picked a bunch of cherry tomatoes and some bell peppers that I'm going to roast.

I think I'll throw it all together with some pasta.

Fat Melanie
07-22-2008, 02:48 PM
Mel, I found that the cheesecakes tasted kind of weird right after they had come out of the oven.....but after chilling in the fridge, they were good!

Man...I might make more of those, they were yummy. I didn't make mine chocolate though, I made mini cheesecakes and added some sf jello to flavor it.

I wonder if you could use sf pudding mix to flavor instead of cocoa and splenda...

Last night after my dinner, I had some of the refridgerated ricotta cheesecake. It was much better than it was the night before, since it was chilled... However, the possibilities of attempting a cheesecake made with philadelphia reduced fat cream cheese and splenda tempts me greatly. There's just something about that cream cheese taste... I might play around with different ingredients and see what I can create. Cooking is fun.

OMG- we can have sugar free pudding????? How about on Phase 1? Because if you tell me we are allowed to have sugar free pudding, I am going to get sugar free pudding and make it with skim milk and then have a bowl of it tonight. Although I am satisfied and not hungry, I would kill for something sinful.

Fat Melanie
07-22-2008, 02:52 PM
I made the Chicken Divan last night you guys, using 2 teaspoons of curry powder instead of one, because I need to try something new.

I LOVED it. That curry is so good.. I have an image of grilled curry & lemon chicken n' yogurt kabobs or something. I will have to play around with it and see what I can do. I thought I've never had curry before, but the scent and color and taste was familiar. When I was a vegetarian in my late teens, I would often eat roasted garlic and olive oil couscous. (You know, the far east brand?) One day my grandma accidentally bought me curry couscous with peas... at first I found it to be strange, but then I loved it. MMMM!

My only problem with the dish is that although I used kraft reduced fat cheddar, reduced fat sourcream, there was an awful lot of grease swimming around on my plate. I don't know why that is, other than that the recipe calls for one cup of mayo. I am not comfortable eating that much fat... any way I can modify it next time?

zeffryn
07-22-2008, 03:02 PM
Mel, sorry to burst your bubble....you can't have sf pudding on p1...p2 is fine though....only a few more days to go!

I took a look at the curry recipe...probably not much you could do as far as modification. I usually sub yogurt for mayo...but I've never baked it, so I don't know if it would separate. Just stay within the proper portions and you should continue to lose. You could also have a salad or something first and fill up a bit on that before having the main course. Glad it was good!

JerseyGirrl
07-22-2008, 03:08 PM
Tonight is leftover chili and some spinach on the side.

Melanie..I want to try to make the cheesecake the way you did..you just added egg to the ricotta creme recipe right? How long did you bake it for? I'm a little leary of making it with cream cheese myself. I won't lead myself into temptation like that lol.

cocowgirl
07-22-2008, 03:13 PM
probably something w/chicken and vegs...
thinking about making some kind of chili in the crockpot this weekend..

Lindy87
07-22-2008, 03:46 PM
Tonite we are having grilled turkey cutlets and cole slaw.

Fat Melanie
07-22-2008, 03:47 PM
Mel, sorry to burst your bubble....you can't have sf pudding on p1...p2 is fine though....only a few more days to go!

I took a look at the curry recipe...probably not much you could do as far as modification. I usually sub yogurt for mayo...but I've never baked it, so I don't know if it would separate. Just stay within the proper portions and you should continue to lose. You could also have a salad or something first and fill up a bit on that before having the main course. Glad it was good!

Noooooooooooooo! *sob* Oh my god, come on Phase 2, hurry up and get here, I SWEAR TO GOD I WILL EAT EVERY PACKAGE OF SF PUDDING IN FOOD LION! EVERY LAST BIT!!!!!

Well I will only eat a serving, but it's nice to think of a big bowl. I can't wait. I ran out of sugar free fudgesicles. I'm all.. . antsy for something desserty. I wish they made sugar free snickers. Because guess what Snickers bar, it would be onnnn!!! Need to get rid of this craving.

I might attempt baking the curry dish with 1/2 mayo and 1/2 fat free plain yogurt, to see what happens. I don't think it will seperate because of other baked chicken dishes that use yogurt, so hopefully that will do the trick.

zeffryn
07-22-2008, 03:55 PM
what about throwing some cocoa powder into a little peanut butter...that always did the trick when I didn't have anything else around.

Fat Melanie
07-22-2008, 03:58 PM
Tonight is leftover chili and some spinach on the side.

Melanie..I want to try to make the cheesecake the way you did..you just added egg to the ricotta creme recipe right? How long did you bake it for? I'm a little leary of making it with cream cheese myself. I won't lead myself into temptation like that lol.

You're right, because if I made the cheesecake with cream cheese, I would eat the whole thing. I know I would, lol.

With the ricotta cake, I just took some leftover skim ricotta, and mixed it with hershey's cocoa, bit of vanilla extract, and splenda. Kept tasting until it tasted right to me, like pie filling. I added in just one egg, but then, I didn't have a whole lot of ricotta left. With more ricotta one would need to add in more egg. Then I put it in a pan and baked it at 350 until I thought it looked done... lol. That's not so helpful, so here is a recipe I had found online:

CHOCOLATE RICOTTA CHEESECAKE

Graham crust
3 c. Ricotta or low-fat cottage cheese
1 cup splenda
4 eggs
1 c. heavy or whipping cream
1/3 c. Hershey's cocoa
1/4 c. unsifted all-purpose flour
1/8 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. vanilla

Prepare graham crust; set aside. Place Ricotta cheese, sugar and eggs in food processor or blender container; process until smooth. Add cream, cocoa, flour, salt and vanilla; process until smooth.

Pour into prepared crust. Bake at 350 degrees about 1 hour and 15 minutes or until set. Turn off oven; open door and let cheesecake remain in oven 1 hour. Cool completely; chill thoroughly. 10 to 12 servings.

Of course, omitting the graham crust and using splenda or whatever to replace the sugar, omitting the flour, and probably the heavy whipping cream. And you can make other flavors besides cocoa, like vanilla or whatever.

I didn't use a food processor, I just mixed stuff together and baked it basically, experimentally.

Fat Melanie
07-22-2008, 03:59 PM
Zeffryn, that sounds good. I just have to go buy the natural PB stuff, I only have JIF. I could actually make PB chocolatey cookies, using natural PB, cocoa, and egg... mmm. Now there's a thought. :D

zeffryn
07-22-2008, 04:01 PM
Mel, try making your cheesecakes in cupcake form...pre-portioned cheesecakes are much easier to control than cutting your own portions. :)

JerseyGirrl
07-22-2008, 04:06 PM
Thanks Melanie..I'm going to try it the way you did and maybe put it in a custard dish and bake it. I sure hope I'm not awaking a beast. LOL Cheesecake and chocolate are my kryptonite!

JerseyGirrl
07-22-2008, 04:07 PM
zeff...everytime I see your picture I just want to pinch your cheeks!! You have such a dollface!

zeffryn
07-22-2008, 04:11 PM
thanks....I think...

;)

pookynutt
07-22-2008, 06:50 PM
All this cheesecake talk is going to force me to make the cream cheese version in the brakfast ideas section and I am going to make "muffins" to help with portion control.

anyway for supper tonight we are having spaghetti with lean ground sirloin meatballs with spaghetti squash topped with reduced fat parmesean and a salad. For dessert....maybe i'll have the cheescakes done by then!

zeffryn
07-22-2008, 07:22 PM
I've been trying to clean out the fridge and freezer for our vacation, so I threw together a meal....it actually turned out really good.

I had some ww linguini that I mixed with some homemade pesto. I topped it with some chicken tenders that I marinated in italian dressing and sauteed red bell peppers, zucchini and cherry tomatoes.

DH had jalapeno cheese bread on the side and we both had a salad with romaine lettuce, italian dressing, olives, peppers and onions.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

SunshineCA
07-22-2008, 08:19 PM
We were supposed to have oven roasted chicken. However,I didn't take the chicken out of the freezer until this morning. It's NOT thawed out yet. Sooooo....I need to improvise.

My daughter's like, "KFC!!". Ummm, probably not. I'm thinking El Pollo Loco. I can have a chicken salad and beans thing. I don't know. yet. I guess we'll decide soon.

As far as the chicken that refuses to deforst, I guess I will cook it tomorrow. ;)

zeffryn
07-22-2008, 08:57 PM
I hate defrosting entire chickens...it usually takes at least two days in the fridge.

SunshineCA
07-22-2008, 09:09 PM
It's boneless chicken breast. I usually take food out of the freezer the night before I cook it. I forgot last night and didn't take it out until this morning.

My DH or I will prepare it tomorrow. He's off tomorrow and Thursday so I think I'll let him go at it. ;)

erikalea
07-22-2008, 11:35 PM
So, I made the cheesecake as cupcakes this morning and.............

YUM!

I followed someone's suggestion (sorry I can't remember whose) to halve the recipe and cook 6 minutes at 400 and 35 minutes at 200. I left them in the oven for an hour or so after that, and then decided I didn't want to wait any longer! i thought they were good right then, but I'm looking forwrad to trying them cold tomorrow.

I made 20 cupcakes, so 2.5 would be one serving. I went ahead and had 3, and I tell you, I don't think I could have had another bite. They were so rich and filling, I was good to go.

I checked out the SB Quick and Easy cookbook from the library and saw today they have a phase 1 recipe for green curry chicken with lite coconut milk, Thai curry paste, and eggplant. I almost cried - this is one of my all-time favorite dishes, and there's a phase 1 version!! I plan to make it tomorrow for myslef and my bf.

booksncoffee
07-23-2008, 03:36 AM
Oven-roasted Cajun chicken breast, homemade pinto beans, green salad tossed in oil, vinegar and topped with slivered almonds. weird combo, i know. but it was pretty tasty. oh, and hubby and son had sliced strawberries for dessert. i was jealous. i'm not quite at p2 yet...

hmacneil6
07-23-2008, 09:29 AM
Tonight's dinner will be Thai Barbque Chicken, Thai cucumber salad, and coconut brown rice. Flavorful and spicy......my favorite!!!!

zeffryn
07-23-2008, 09:43 AM
a concoction that DH and I came up with many moons ago...basically a spicy peanut sauce with soba noodles, marinated sirloin beef, broccoli, pea pods, onions, red peppers, and carrots.

GONNABE165
07-23-2008, 09:47 AM
tonite is sort of like breakfast for dinner

grilled porkchops, sautee spinach & poached eggs

zeffryn
07-23-2008, 09:58 AM
Nothing wrong with breakfast for dinner.....we try to do something like that once a week....DS loves it.

cocowgirl
07-23-2008, 10:08 AM
Not sure what were having tonight... stove/oven decided to die last night while i was making dinner...new one should be here tonight...so maybe chicken and a salad....

eawrigh1
07-23-2008, 12:32 PM
We're having the Mexican Chicken Casserole from the SBD Recipes Section. This weekend we had the Spicy Shredded Pork--delicious!

Belle Mer
07-23-2008, 01:51 PM
I had a big lunch, so I'll have a very simple dinner tonight. Grilled Turkey breast atop a big salad.

Fresh cherries and vanilla ricotta for dessert. I thought I wouldn't be able to stop at the 12 cherry-portion last night, but I did. So I'll do a repeat tonight and see if my resolution holds. Organic cherries on sale was too good to resist!

zeffryn
07-23-2008, 02:02 PM
Belle - I agree. Cherries are amazing. Definitely one of my favorites. The little produce market by our house had organic rainier cherries on sale for $3.99.

Needless to say....I probably bought too many ;)

EofAZ
07-23-2008, 03:46 PM
Well the White Beans and Turkey Sausage turned out really good. I'll make it again. Tonight DH will clean up some leftover spagetti so I'm having a grilled chicken breast with steamed mixed veggies I have frozen in the refrig. I froze them in vacuum seal bags so I just warm up in a pot of boiling water for a few minutes. Quick and easy, just the way I like it.

Beany Brownie for dessert. They were pretty good, not wonderful but satisfying. That is good, not good enough to over indulge but good enought to keep you from prowling around the kitchen for something else, if you know what I mean.

pookynutt
07-23-2008, 06:26 PM
Steak and zucchini and asparagus on the grill, salad. then the breakfast cheescake i made yesterday! yum-o! :)

Fat Melanie
07-23-2008, 11:13 PM
Tonight I made tacos for him, taco salad for me. I made the ground beef and taco seasoning, then layered salad on a plate, topped it with some of the taco mixture, and chopped onions, chipotle salsa, shredded reduced fat cheddar, fat free refried beans, reduced fat sourcream.

We got flour tortillas for BF, because he will not eat tacos any other way. He makes burritos actually. Anyway, it worked out just fine!

Not sure about tomorrow. Probably something with chicken.

SunshineCA
07-23-2008, 11:44 PM
I made BBQ Chicken Wraps on whole wheat tortilla shells. It was a hit! My family was so excited as I haven't made these in a while.

For dessert there was Sugar-Free Jello available. :)

hmacneil6
07-24-2008, 09:33 AM
Dinner tonight will be Tex-Mex inspired stuffed peppers w/ black beans and a salad.

pookynutt
07-24-2008, 09:39 AM
tonight will be mahi mahi cooked with sugar free "maple" syrup and cajun seasong with onions (sounds weird but rather tasty!and i don't really like fish that much!) brocolli, blackeye peas cooked with turkey bacon and salad. some osrt of yummy dessert.

CyndiM
07-24-2008, 09:49 AM
komatsuna with tahini dressing, lentil burgers, roasted broccoli (it's CSA night!)

eawrigh1
07-24-2008, 10:27 AM
Tonight is the cheese stuffed beef rolls from this site. The Mexican Chicken Casserole came out wonderfully--I have leftovers for lunch today! The recipes from this site have been a hit with not just me, but the non Beachers in the house too:)

GONNABE165
07-24-2008, 10:45 AM
tonight is vegetable spaghetti out of the freezer since we have to go bday shopping for my nephews 1st bday party

zeffryn
07-24-2008, 11:05 AM
Black bean quesadillas with roasted vegetables (peppers, hot peppers, onions and tomatoes) with homemade salsa and sour cream on ww tortillas.

Marathon Mom
07-24-2008, 12:52 PM
Question - Last night was my son's birthday. He asked for hoagies/subs for dinner (Feeding 16 people)... I don't eat meat but do eat tuna. I took the tuna off the hoagie and all of the veggies and cut it up for a salad...

I know tuna from a deli/restaurant is not made with low fat mayo however what would you have done in my situation? Would you have eaten something completely different? or made your own meal?

The reason I ask - is if it's not a good idea to eat the deli's tuna - I won't have it as 'leftovers' tonight.. :)

zeffryn
07-24-2008, 01:02 PM
I think there are times when you can just make the best decisions you can. I think you did a great job! Instead of just conceding and eating the roll and everything else, you SBD'd your meal the best way you could. :)

Also, low fat mayo isn't always the best choice....it is usually loaded with sugar and HFCS. When mayo is mixed with another ingredient to make a salad, you don't get that much in each portion.

Just watch your portions and I think you should be fine.

Belle Mer
07-24-2008, 01:30 PM
Chicken breast with sun dried tomatoes, mozzerella and fresh basil. Steamed broccoli.

Cherries and Vanilla Ricotta for dessert.

hmacneil6
07-25-2008, 09:33 AM
Heading to the County Fair tonight....dinner is up in the air.

But I wanted to post that last night's dinner - Tex-Mex inspired Stuffed Peppers - were SO GOOD!!!! I stuffed peppers with ground turkey, lentils, onion, cilantro, salsa, tomato paste, l/f cheese, black olives, & Mexican spices. They were FANTASTIC!!!!!

Marathon mom - I think you made a great choice. Way to go!

zeffryn
07-25-2008, 09:50 AM
A big salad with grilled "jerk" chicken, grilled pineapple, black beans, red bell pepper, red onion, romaine lettuce and a yogurt/lime dressing.

cocowgirl
07-25-2008, 10:39 AM
Going out for dinner tonight....Think were going to Saltgrass (steak place)
I'm a lil nervous...first time eating out while at the beach...still on phase I. But I figure maybe a steak and salad..and some grilled vegs...

Belle Mer
07-25-2008, 10:39 AM
Leftover chili, huge salad, guac.

Blueberries and yogurt

CyndiM
07-25-2008, 11:01 AM
The sun is out so I will be grilling! Squash and whatever I can add at the Farmer's Market plus bean burgers

pookynutt
07-25-2008, 06:33 PM
Going out for dinner tonight....Think were going to Saltgrass (steak place)
I'm a lil nervous...first time eating out while at the beach...still on phase I. But I figure maybe a steak and salad..and some grilled vegs...

YUM! i was just in Shreveport last weekend and ate at a saltgrass....it was delish!

CyndiM
07-25-2008, 06:51 PM
The Market yielded sun warmed tomatoes and garlic so I have my first tomato salad of the season along with the squash from my garden and tender Japanese eggplant on the grill. Last year that tomato salad would have included fresh mozzarella (preferably water buffalo just to add extra fat!) and crusty Italian bread. Eek!

pookynutt
07-25-2008, 09:05 PM
turkey/lean beef meatloaf, fresh field peas with snaps, and green bean. maybe a salad. and cool whip, sf fudgesicle, cocoa powder and splenda mixed together and frozen topped with unsweetend coconut and slivered almonds. have a great evening everyone!!:;)

Thin4Good
07-25-2008, 10:09 PM
I had the South Beach Chopped Salad with Tuna

It was so big! - I followed the recipe but in the middle of preparing it I had to get a bigger bowl! - Yummy though and great after the day I had!

CyndiM
07-26-2008, 08:37 AM
Swiss chard & mushroom squares, baby romaine salad dressed with leftover fresh tomato salad, 1 ear corn

Schmoodle
07-26-2008, 08:42 AM
I got some really nice jumbo lump crabmeat on the way home yesterday. So tonight is crabcakes, sauteed zucchini and a salad Caprese. Yummy!

zeffryn
07-26-2008, 09:48 AM
Country style ribs, mashed potatoes, brussels sprouts, sweet potatoes, and zucchini....DH is hosting fights tonight and wanted "man food".

Whatever.

The sweet potatoes are for me, DH and DS love love love brussels sprouts and our best friend loves stuffed, roasted zucchini...and all men love ribs and mashed potatoes.

hmacneil6
07-26-2008, 11:29 AM
Thin4Good - That's one of my favorite salads from the original book. Very yummy!

Tonight we're headed over to friends where they have carne & pollo asada to grill. Most everyone will have tacos or burritos, I'll end up with a taco salad.

Ruthxxx
07-26-2008, 12:40 PM
Somebody please intervene! I am thinking ribs and corn on the cob! Oy!

Will probably end up with leftover roast pork from the freezer and salad unless I luck out with an invitation somewhere. (I don't have corn or ribs on hand, thank God!) I think the problem is smelling the ribs and seeing the corn when I was doing walkabout at the Fair yesterday.

CyndiM
07-26-2008, 01:21 PM
Apparently I've been saved from myself by a faulty memory - I forgot to buy corn! Guess it will be sauteed squash as a side.

Fat Melanie
07-26-2008, 01:29 PM
I had the South Beach Chopped Salad with Tuna

It was so big! - I followed the recipe but in the middle of preparing it I had to get a bigger bowl! - Yummy though and great after the day I had!

Hi, would you mind posting this recipe? Yesterday I had an idea to make some sort of leafy green salad with canned tuna, but wasn't sure how it would be. So I just ate a salad with shredded cheese and turkey last night. I was looking for a change from the general mayonnaise laden tuna salad, although I sure do make a good tuna salad.

Fat Melanie
07-26-2008, 01:35 PM
Somebody please intervene! I am thinking ribs and corn on the cob! Oy!

Will probably end up with leftover roast pork from the freezer and salad unless I luck out with an invitation somewhere. (I don't have corn or ribs on hand, thank God!) I think the problem is smelling the ribs and seeing the corn when I was doing walkabout at the Fair yesterday.

Mmm, that does sound really good.

:) IMO (and I know I'm not an expert and probably shouldn't be attempting to give advice to anyone, but this is just my opinion is all)... corn, although obviously higher on the Gi index, isn't the worst food one could 'cheat' with... it is still a vegetable, afterall, and although I know this may go against SB law, corn isn't what made anyone gain weight! I'm not sure what phase you are on Ruth, but I was thinking you were in phase 3? Not sure. You could always make some sort of homemade southbeach approved bbq-like sauce and a healthy pork chop or something similar and grill it to get that rib sort of taste... and then have one simple ear of corn (it is really good when you roll it in some sort of healthy margarine, and some parmesan cheese and parsley.. this is something I ate a LOT during my pregnancy.) And then a big old salad so you don't overdo the corn.

If you don't have it on hand though, then obviously you can't make it, and then should be fine. But if you do really want it, I think one ear of corn wouldn't hurt. :)

Fat Melanie
07-26-2008, 01:40 PM
Okay, as for me... right now I'm clueless as to what to cook for dinner. I bought lentils yesterday, because that was one of the suggestions on the budget thread I had a few weeks ago... but have never cooked with lentils, nor have tasted lentils, at least I don't think I have, anyway. BF said, "what the **** is a lentil?" He might be harder to sell.

Also have some great northern beans, and don't know what to do with them either.

If anybody has any ideas, please post. In the meanwhile, I will be googling for some south beach friendly recipes in between posting here.

Belle Mer
07-26-2008, 02:00 PM
Lentils are great. Try cooking them per package directions, and then a quick saute in olive oil with turkey bacon bits, garlic, thyme and onion, with a splash of lemon. Eat as a side dish or a main dish, with your favorite greens. Or make lentil soup with the above ingredients, and low-sodium chicken broth. I always add a dash of lemon and thyme to lentils.

Belle Mer
07-26-2008, 02:01 PM
I'm having leftover chicken breast with sun dried tomatoes/pesto/cheese, and steamed lemon broccoli. Blueberries/strawberries and vanilla ricotta for dessert.

Thin4Good
07-26-2008, 02:47 PM
Melanie- I posted the SBD Chopped Salad with Tuna recipe on the Phase 1 salads board. I can't post links yet though.

Fat Melanie
07-26-2008, 03:11 PM
Lentils are great. Try cooking them per package directions, and then a quick saute in olive oil with turkey bacon bits, garlic, thyme and onion, with a splash of lemon. Eat as a side dish or a main dish, with your favorite greens. Or make lentil soup with the above ingredients, and low-sodium chicken broth. I always add a dash of lemon and thyme to lentils.

Yum, that sounds delicious. Definitely gonna try that, maybe as a side dish with lemon pepper chicken breast to complement the lemon in the lentils. Then I could use the leftovers to make a soup for tomorrow's lunch. Thanks! :D

Fat Melanie
07-26-2008, 03:15 PM
Melanie- I posted the SBD Chopped Salad with Tuna recipe on the Phase 1 salads board. I can't post links yet though.

Great, thanks! I'll go check it out. :D

pookynutt
07-26-2008, 04:33 PM
Tonight is the ginger dijon pork loin from the book with red bean mash, steamed brocolli and salad. breakfast cheescake for dessert.

CyndiM
07-27-2008, 07:37 PM
I tried the tofu cacciatore posted earlier with 1 slice of ww pizza loaded with veggies

kshe78
07-27-2008, 08:47 PM
Big green salad (romaine, cukes, cherry tomatoes, radishes)
SBD Buffalo Chicken Pizza

No, I won't eat them often, but pizza is the one thing that I haven't been able to get past craving. It didn't help that I had to order 18 of them earlier in the week for an event I was doing..........and I didn't have a single slice! This is my reward.

I went grocery shopping tonight, and it's late, so pizza it is. It's actually really good. When I finish, I'll be attempting to make a menu for the week.

zeffryn
07-27-2008, 08:50 PM
leftover ribs, mashed potatoes, grilled zucchini for the boys

black bean, salsa, onion, and pepper jack cheese quesadilla on ww tortillas for me.

Jello-sicles for dessert.

SunshineCA
07-27-2008, 10:34 PM
My DH prepared tilapia 2 different ways, grilled and fried. We're also having a tossed salad and broiled tomatoes. For dessert, we have vanilla and mocha ricotta creme. My kids love it when we put it in the freezer. Tastes just like ice cream. ;)

murphmitch
07-27-2008, 11:44 PM
Grilled pork loin chops marinated in Caesar dressing, steamed cauliflower and zucchini, brown rice.