PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:08 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 294/270/170

Height: 5'7

Default Velvet Patches of Skin (Acanthosis Nigricans)

After taking Insulite for a couple of days, I noticed that my dark velvet patches under my breasts and in the creases of my thighs showed up again. I hate these darn things !!!

This past week I also stopped smoking cigarettes… I am trying to do whatever it takes.
I was curious as to why these patches had reappeared when I have not seen them in almost a year. I assumed that the patches returned because my chemicals within my body were changing as a result of me quitting smoking and me taking Insulite.

After doing some research I found that the dark velvet patches, also known as Acanthosis Nigricans can be induced by diuretics. Thiazide diuretics are used to control high blood pressure. I wonder if I am having side effects from the blood pressure medication.

I understand that these patches are associated with PCOS however I am wondering if these could be induced from the medication or if they are truly a result of PCOS. If they are from PCOS then it doesn’t make any sense because from what my doctor told me I am not IR. The reason PCOS patients see these patches are because they are IR.

Does any one know anything about these patches? I did not begin having them until after I started taking my blood pressure medication approximately 2.5 years ago.

Thanks,
Lady KM
Lady KM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 08:30 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

It's my understanding also that they are a result of excess insulin.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 09:04 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Those patches can be caused by excess insulin. If you are eating a lot of refined carbs, those patches can show up since your insulin levels become high. How has your diet been?
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 09:35 PM   #4  

I have been eating a the same; moderate amount of carbs... I cut back more than I ate before but I am sure I eat more than 30 in a sitting.

I do not know how to eat any other way. Everything has carbs in it... Any suggested meal plans? I need some guidance on what to eat and when to eat it... I am willing to change the way I eat but need to know how...

Since I stopped smoking this past week I am constantly looking to put something in my mouth. I am going to try the tea tree oil tooth picks. Mercy ! I can't wait to conquer these bad habits ! Addiction is horrible.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:15 PM   #5  

Have you had the glucose tolerance test for insulin resistance? You fast for 12 hours, or as your doctor directs, and then you have your blood drawn and then they give you a sweet soda type drink to drink and they draw your blood again after a certain amount of time.

If you haven't had this test, I would question how your doctor determined that you do not have IR, because IR is the most common cause of acanthrosis nigricans.

It's my understanding (and I could be incorrect) that the coloration is due to insulin accumulating in the tissues under the skin, and that not only is the most common cause insulin resistance, that even when it is drug, tumor, or PCOS-induced it is still caused by the spillover of excess insulin into the tissues under the skin (so it is caused by extra insulin, but what is causing the extra insulin can vary - so regardless, I'd question your doctor's assertion that you do not have IR, because the very presence of Acanthosis Nigricans suggests that you do have IR (though the cause may or may not be the PCOS, and could be influenced by the blood pressure medication).

Again, not an expert, but you might consider seeing if you can see a diabetic counselor under your insurance (though with some insurances you need the diagnosis of IR or diabetes or a referal from your general practitioner first), or an endocrinologist.
Old 07-21-2008, 02:13 AM   #6  

Thanks Kaplods !

I did fast for 12 hours and take a blood test but no sweet stuff was involved. Did the doctors give any of you medication for IR?

Lady KM
Old 07-21-2008, 02:58 AM   #7  

My doctor suspected that I had insulin resistance just from my symptoms, and actually prescribed metformin (500 mg extended release daily) without ordering a glucose tolerance test. Later I was referred to an endocrinologist for some tests and she wasn't happy that my doctor had put me on metformin without having the glucose tolerance test done, especially since I had (at that time) never had a blood sugar level above normal. As a result, she didn't think I even was insulin resistant. So I had to go off my metformin for 2 weeks and then have the glucose tolerance test - which confirmed that I was quite insulin resistant. She was quite surprised (and to be honest, seemed a little miffed, or maybe just embarassed that she had been so critical of my gp's diagnosis).

Some doctors, I've been told, take a normal blood sugar level as a sign that you're not insulin resistant. But, often when you're insulin resistant, your fasting blood sugar IS normal, or it could be just a little elevated. I've gotten blood tests every 3 to 4 months with my current doctor for over 3 years, and during that time, my fasting blood sugar was above 100 ("normal") only a couple times, and only once was it enough above 100 to be considered a little high.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:17 AM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I used to have dark patches but I no longer do.

Carbs aren't bad, refined carbs are. Do you eat whole foods type carbs? (low GI/GL)
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 04:39 PM   #9  

I would also suggest cutting refined carbs, and monitoring the effects of good carbs on you. I have to limit even good carbs, because I tend to overeat carb foods and get hungrier when I eat them. Still, my carb levels are pretty high by most "low carb" standards, but I lose ok on between 100 and 150 g of carbs.

But I really would consider asking your doctor for the glucose tolerance test if you've got decent insurance coverage. Because if you've got insulin resistance, metformin can be very helpful (some people almost "magically" lose weight on it, others don't notice any weight loss effect at all. For me, I lost about 10 lbs very easily after I started the metformin, but that was about it).
Old 07-22-2008, 04:21 PM   #10  

Ladies,

I hate to sound like a pain in the butt however I am curious.... according to the drugs.com/metformin website

Taking diuretics may raise blood sugar levels... as a result this may be why I am seeing the dark velvet patches...

I am beining to think that these diuretics are causing me trouble.
I'm going to contact my doctor. I will update you on my findings.

I am also going to watch my refined carb intake more closely although I cannot remember the last time I had a refined carb. Hmmmm
Old 07-22-2008, 05:47 PM   #11  

For many people, eliminating refined carbs is enough. For me and many other people it isn't, and carbs overall have to be taken into consideration.

It can get really confusing, because everything you eat and every drug and supplement you take affects the whole system. It's sometimes hard to determine the risks and benefits to them all. The best you can do is talk to your doctor, learn what you can and make decisions based on what you feel is best for you, but it's not an exact science.

I'm also on diuretic blood pressure medication. It's possible that the diuretic is having an impact my blood sugar, but the benefits of adding the metformin overrode the benefits of changing the blood presure medication. But it's all part balancing act and "chemistry set," unfortunately with your body as the beaker.

It's important to find a doctor who is willing to really talk to you, and answer your questions. Because my decision regarding the blood pressure medication was a conscious one I made with my doctor, but I've been on various prescription NSAIDs (ibuprofen, naproxen, relafen), for about 15 years. And I've been on allergy, sinus and asthma medications for the last 7 or 8 (with no history of asthma or allergies and only occasional winter sinus problems until my 30's). I was told that the asthma was probably weight related. But even though I changed jobs and locations (and therefore doctors) several times, none of the doctors had raised the concerns about the NSAIDs and the respiratory medications. I only learned by accident (going on medicare and running out of drug coverage and running out of my relafen two weeks before one payday). As a result, I found out that the NSAID was causing all of my asthma symptoms and a good part of my allergy symptoms. Now I'm off the relafen and all of my asthma and allergy meds. My doctor said the NSAID/asthma connection is common and can develop after years of use. I probably shouldn't take aspirin either. Though it's kind of sad that none of my doctors ever suggested a possible connection they just kept adding more meds.

So, I guess the moral of the story is to ask a lot of questions, and learn what you can yourself, and make sure your doctor understands your health goals, especially your willingness to make adjustments to your behavior (eating/exercise). It seems fewer and fewer doctors are willing to suggest behavioral or diet therapies, because "no one listens anyway." So, they just prescribe meds on top of meds.

I think it's why no doctor suggested that I try going without the NSAIDS. They didn't even consider the possibility that i was willing to be in more pain, in order to breathe better (and it was a difficult decision, at least at first, because the pain was a lot worse... but after dealing with it, I'd much rather be in pain than not be able to breathe... or even experience the fear of "maybe" not being able to breathe when I needed to).
Old 07-23-2008, 01:02 PM   #12  
WW Moderator

Congrats on quitting smoking! That is so important particularly when we are at a higher risk for heart disease.

You mentioned the relation between the AN and the BP meds. Could it be also that you started BP meds at the peak of your weight gain? Weight gain, high bp, excess insulin etc are all links on the same chain for PCOS. Just an idea.

My dietitian says that chelated chromium may help, but I believe there is already some in Insulite - but I don't know the dosage.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:43 AM   #13  

Thanks for all of your comments ! It is wonderful to have support. For so long I have felt like I have had to swallow my thoughts and feelings about PCOS out of shame or people just sincerely not understanding or caring to understand. I appreciate all of you !

With that said, I am on my 9th day without a cigarette !! I have gained 2.4 lbs but am watching what Im eating. I am going to try to exercise for at least 60 mins for the remaining 3 days this week.

I need to start an exercise regimen... it's so difficult to get motivated. I was inspired by your success stories and siggestions. I am going to get on the exercise bandwagon !

I spoke with my primary care doctor and my OB/GYN regarding the AN's. My primary care doctor reduced my BP medicine to half the dose. My OB/GYN said the patches are normal for women with PCOS. When I inquired why I had them if I am not IR, she replied it's complicated and cited a reference from a journal which basiclly said obese people, women with PCOS and IR people ge these AN's.

Well I knew all of that ! She didn't help me.

I am monitoring my blood pressure since reducing the dose. If my BP goes up then I will have to try something else. I hope my BP remains down !! Keep your fingers crossed and keep your stories and inspiration coming... I need all the help I can get !