South Beach Diet - South Beach Frozen Dinners

View Full Version : South Beach Frozen Dinners

JellyBean32882
07-19-2008, 12:49 AM
Ok, so my mother bought south beach frozen dinners, which i don't think i can have until phase 3 correct?

betsysunqueen
07-19-2008, 12:55 AM
It should say on the box for which phase(s) they are appropriate.

JellyBean32882
07-19-2008, 01:13 AM
It should say on the box for which phase(s) they are appropriate.

k, thanx

Jonsgurl0531
07-19-2008, 01:52 AM
I think most are for phase 2 and 3.. I eat them once in awhile .. the pizza ones... LOL

zeffryn
07-19-2008, 10:50 AM
there is a big sign on the back of the box that says which phases they are appropriate for....some are good for p1.

ladybugnessa
07-19-2008, 11:20 AM
while they are ok in whatever phase they say they are ok for. they are not enough food. they have additives I would not touch.

I don't use them at all. and if you do use them please supplement them with more veggies.... there is no way that box has 2 cups of veggies.

Belle Mer
07-19-2008, 12:27 PM
I've had the pizza once in a while when I did SBD before. It's phase 2. I think that a home made pizza on a ww pita or tortilla is much better.

murphmitch
07-19-2008, 12:35 PM
I have the pizza about 1-2 times a month when my family has non SBD pizza. They're very filling and pretty tasty. The other frozen dinners I tried were Blech! Not worth the money IMO.

cottagebythesea
07-19-2008, 01:46 PM
I tried a couple of the frozen dinners when they first came out, and I thought they were awful. And, like Nessa pointed out, they have no where near the amount of veggies you should eat. If you have one, make sure you have a big salad or side of veggies along with it.
I do enjoy the frozen pizzas, though. I like to pile them with fresh baby spinach and additional veggies, and they satisfy my pizza cravings.

Pearlrose
07-19-2008, 01:53 PM
Occasionally I will take one to work for lunch, but I always pack a salad to go with it since like everyone said not enough vegetables

JellyBean32882
07-19-2008, 04:43 PM
there is a big sign on the back of the box that says which phases they are appropriate for....some are good for p1.

Thanx Zeff, ya I had the Garlic Herb Chicken one, it was pretty good, I told mom to buy more, lol.. and they are for phase 1,2, and 3.. of course when i looked at the ingredients i was worried cause it had modified food starch and wheat and stuff.. no sugar or high fructose corn syrup but still.. i'm afraid i'll gain from that.. but if its phase 1 safe i shouldn't worry about it.

zeffryn
07-19-2008, 05:26 PM
you could probably make garlic herb chicken that tasted similar in a big batch and freeze it in individual servings. It would definitely be cheaper...and probably a whole lot better tasting than the frozen dinners. Healthier as well because it would be lacking in all the preservatives and additives.

Jonsgurl0531
07-19-2008, 07:45 PM
I used to make my own pizza too but if I have all the stuff in my house I will eat it for break lunch and dinner lol.. SO I buy the frozen ones and eat it with a side salad about one or twice a month.
I really watch how much wheat products I actually have because if I have too much I won't lose weight like more than once or twice a week for me. Though I am fine with flax. I have no idea why.

:)

blondywants2bethin
07-19-2008, 11:40 PM
i've had the oriental one with chicken and it was nasty:devil: so i would stay away from the oriental ones. SB dont know chineese :?:

JellyBean32882
07-20-2008, 01:08 AM
i've had the oriental one with chicken and it was nasty:devil: so i would stay away from the oriental ones. SB dont know chineese :?:

I don't like chinese food, nor mexican, or japanese.. basically I like American foods, lol.. so won't even attempt at trying any foods like that.

SunshineCA
07-20-2008, 01:18 AM
I have the pizza about 1-2 times a month when my family has non SBD pizza. They're very filling and pretty tasty. The other frozen dinners I tried were Blech! Not worth the money IMO.

That's a great idea for family pizza night. I usually eat something else or skim off the toppings. ;)

SunshineCA
07-20-2008, 01:22 AM
I saw lots of these meals at my local 99 cents store. I didn't buy any but there were plenty.

grneyedmustang
07-20-2008, 05:15 PM
Two words - they suck. Use your money to make better tasting, more inexpensive (once you add up the number of servings), less preservative filled food.

I do like the lunch wrap kits though (in the sandwich meat section) - they're pretty good tasting, and work when I don't have anything prepared for lunch.

Zarebeth
07-20-2008, 06:40 PM
I was very upset when suddenly all the old low-carb stuff got relabeled South Beach. They all contain stuff we aren't supposed to have! I am under the impression that SBD can be best summed up as the No-Crap diet, and I am sorry, but most of that stuff is crap.

Belle Mer
07-20-2008, 07:12 PM
Modified food starch is from corn. I don't really understand why Dr. Agatston put his name on the SBD prepared foods, except for maybe for the money. They do not contain anything nutritious. If you tried to live on them and nothing else for 6 months, you'd probably end up with malnutrition.

I guess I'm a food snob. I can't eat processed foods or anything with artificial sweeteners. They taste strange to me.

Even lowfat feta cheese seems tasteless. The only reduced fat cheese that I can stand is the 2% cheddar. So I just eat less than the recommended portion, using the higher fat cheese. I still lose weight.

I guess I'm eccentric or something. My body rejects modern food. :-)

JellyBean32882
07-20-2008, 07:43 PM
Well, I know I felt guilty when I ate one of the frozen dinners the other night but obviously I didn't gain from it. Anyway, my mom had bought some already made grilled lemon thyme chicken breasts, read the ingredients and sugar was one of them so i didn't touch it, just had my leftover salmon with lemon and pepper with some broccoli.. I already had my dairy intake for the day

zeffryn
07-20-2008, 10:21 PM
You may want to try making all of these pre-made, pre-packaged items....they really are expensive and making them is healthier and far less expensive in the long run.

Most packaged pre-cooked chicken that I see in stores is between 3-4 dollars a serving...You can make your own lemon pepper chicken for around a dollar per serving.

SBD doesn't have to be an expensive diet, it just takes a little ingenuity.

JellyBean32882
07-20-2008, 10:31 PM
You may want to try making all of these pre-made, pre-packaged items....they really are expensive and making them is healthier and far less expensive in the long run.

Most packaged pre-cooked chicken that I see in stores is between 3-4 dollars a serving...You can make your own lemon pepper chicken for around a dollar per serving.

SBD doesn't have to be an expensive diet, it just takes a little ingenuity.

Ya I know, but my mother doesn't know that, she thought I could eat it, LOL.. I told her sugar was added to it obviously she didn't look at the ingredients first before buying. I'll be buying some more salmon on Tuesday, and some extra lean meat as I can make hamburgers with them, without the roll that is, I can always add stuff on top of it that's phase 1 approved.

gaia3
07-21-2008, 10:51 AM
Hi Zarebeth! Glad you found your way to the board! Everyone is different and loses weight in different ways--that's why I like this website, because the owners "get" that.

I can't "do" Southbeach for long...the cravings don't go away and I basically feel like I'm starving all the time (I think it is more emotional starvation, though because I need comfort food!)...however, I've found that I can "do" low carb for 3-4 days, then switch to low fat/ calorie counting for the rest of the week and lose much faster. Also, I have to keep my calories over 2000--any less than that and I stop losing weight...weird, I know.

Even lowfat feta cheese seems tasteless. The only reduced fat cheese that I can stand is the 2% cheddar. So I just eat less than the recommended portion, using the higher fat cheese. I still lose weight.

I lost 70 lbs on a low fat diet several years ago. My taste buds really "perked" up when I ate less fat over several month's time. Foods with regular fat now feel like they coat my mouth and throat. And the low fat varieties taste great to me. (Didn't in the beginning, though, so I understand.) Even when I'm NOT dieting, I use low fat everything, just because I LIKE it better. And that's a good thing, because if I had continued to eat like I did 10 years ago, I'd probably be on one of those medical weight loss shows....

When I'm doing the the low carb for 3-4 days a week, I don't worry about the fat in the meat, but I still use low fat other stuff, like margarine because I like it.

Switching diets around 1) Keeps my body from getting into plateaus, 2) keeps me interested, 3) No matter what food I'm craving I can have it sometime during the week lol, 4) meets my emotional needs.

On the other hand, my son, and another friend loved the Southbeach Diet and lost a lot of weight on it and have kept it off...it's really a matter of finding what works for YOU--and sticking with it!

Fat Melanie
07-21-2008, 05:18 PM
Well I am not really interested in trying the southbeach frozen dinners, but maybe I would try the frozen pizzas every once in awhile in phase 2. Where do they sell them? Food Lion and Piggly Wiggly in my county doesn't sell it.

I used to buy the Southbeach lunchwrap kits though, when I was around 18 or so and just watching my (fabulous at the time) figure. I liked the chicken caesar ones, and then there was the chicken ones with salsa and cheddar.. yummy.

Belle Mer
07-21-2008, 05:26 PM
Everyone has their own way of eating.

I don't mind eating cheeses that are naturally lower in fat, like Feta and goat cheese, but when fat is taken out of cheese to make it reduced fat, then things are sometimes added to make it taste "fuller," that doesn't work for me. I eat good fats, like olive oil and avocados, and limit my cheese intake to cheeses that taste good to me, in limited amounts, less than what SBD calls for. I don't usually eat foods that are "messed around with." I try to eat things that don't contain more than 5 ingredients, tops. That's just me.