South Beach Diet - ABC NEWS:Low-carb diet best for weight loss

kelligirl
07-18-2008, 09:07 AM
I just heard a blurb about this on the news the other day. Channel 3 news here in VT covered how diets such as South Beach, Atkins and mediterranean diets had the best success and lowered cholesterol. Here is a link to a similar article..
oops, can't post the link, but if you Google the headline, you will find several recent coverages.

Now...if I can just stick to it and quick my sugar habit :dizzy:

knittwhit
07-18-2008, 09:34 AM
I saw that broadcast the other night. It reinforced what I knew for myself for a long time. When I was following SBD consistently when it first came out, I lost 30+ lbs. but I also felt much better, had more energy, and didn't feel deprived. I did miss a few foods like corn and potatoes and it was when I started making occasional "planned cheats" that I gradually got swept completely out to sea. But the important thing is I've made it back to the beach. I decided to start right off with P2 but only allowing 1 P2 food daily. I've not had cravings and I avoided the P1 headache. Although I would have liked to see a greater loss this week (like the kind most people have with P1) I am quite pleased with 2 lbs.

Watercolor
07-18-2008, 11:08 AM
It's good research by people with lots of experience in the field.

The problem is that the low carb and mediterraen dieters only lost 10.2 pounds in 2 years! The low fat was worse, only 5.9 pounds in 2 years!

Losing 10 pounds in 2 years is not my idea of weight loss! I could do that using a tablespoon less milk in my morning coffee!

ARGH!!!!

broadabroad
07-18-2008, 12:00 PM
I'd hazard a guess, though, that that 10.2lb is actually the AVERAGE overall loss - that some people will have lost a shedload more than that, and some people will have dropped out entirely, or lost and regained (because there are always people who think that they can do a short-term 'diet', rather than make a lasting lifestyle change). Overall, that's still pretty cheering - especially since it's nearly double the low-fat figure!

CyndiM
07-18-2008, 05:47 PM
Channel 3 news here in VT

Woo hoo another Vermonter :moo::dancer:
Welcome :)

SunshineCA
07-20-2008, 01:47 AM
I saw this story on ABC7 the other morning. :)