Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 07-18-2008, 01:43 AM   #1  
Gym Bunny

S/C/G: 71.6/58.7/50kg OR 157/129/110

Height: 164cm

Angry SureSlim in Australia

Not sure if this has been written about. I used to work there in one of the South Australian offices.

Basically it is a rip off. The concept is that they do blood tests and 'fix' your metabolism.

As the Administrative co-ordinator at one of the clinics it was my job to compile the "diets" that the head "doctor" sent through after "analizing" the blood test results. I can tell you right now that they were all exactly the same. The only thing that varied was a food choice if the client ut it down as a 'food dislike'.

The 'weight loss consultants' have no health or nutritional training and wouldnt know how to read a blood report to save their lives. They are sales reps who scare people into purchasing a VERY expensive program. Prices started at $395 for people who only had small amounts of weight to lose, and program prices were as high as $900 for people who had to lose alot of weight. This is the basic cost. You also had to purchase supplements, extra weekly weigh in consultations, seeds, scales, cookbooks etc

SureSlim also ran a side business called "HiVibe" whichis vibration exercise. None of the consultants that took clients through had any fitness certificates or first aid certificates (Certificate 3 in fitness and senior first aid certificate are bare minimun requirements). These were also very expensive starting at $35 for one session a week to $60 for 3 sessions a week. To put this in perspective, a gym membership where i work costs $17 a week for unlimited visits, classes and your own personalised program.

People did lose weight on this program. Alot of weight. And it went straight back on as soon as they ate anything remotely off plan.
The diet principles are:
* 3 meals a day
* At least 5 hour break between meals with no snacks
* Only drinks allowed were water, black coffee and black tea.
* All meals had one small protein item which had to be eaten before anything else. In terms of size, were talking something along the lines of one small boiled egg.
* Carbs were limited. You were allowed to have the eqivilent of 2 cruskits per day. And NO fruit.
* You were allowed to have unlimited salad vegetables at meal times.

So you can imagine how hard this diet is.

And just an example of someone losing weight then falling off the horse...Lets call her Andrea.
Andrea wanted to work as a consultant for sure slim. She was going to start after her 4 week hoilday after ending her last job. Andrea had lost approx
54kgs(119lbs) on the diet. She came back from her holiday and had put on 9.5kgs(21lbs)......she was not hired by Sureslim......WEIGHT DISCRIMINATION!!!!!

I just think all the ladies out there who think this might be something for them....please dont use this company...it is not healthy and uses starvation as its mode for weight loss and sets you up to fail....The branch I worked for went bankrupt but there are still other clinics operating...BEWARE
aimz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:49 PM   #2  

Smile Sureslim Saved My Life.

Hi, Im sorry to hear about Sureslim and how it works from your experience.
I LOVE SURESLIM! They saved my life.
I have a been a fat chick for ever. I had forgotten how to prepare fresh food. I was always on the run snatching hi carb snacks as is the way with us chubbies. I had asthma for 35 years! As soon as I started the "clean food " programme promoted by Sureslim I was able to chuck all my puffers out! What a saving for the government here in NZ. Our budget for asthma treatment is 80million PA. I no longer have itchy eyes which I had put up with forever. I dont have sinuses and havent had a cold for the 2 1/2 years since I started. I dont wet my pants laughing and I can see my fanny. I now look at everything that is in our food. Most foods on the shelf in supermarkets are toxic products...not real food and the population stuff their faces with this garbage and wonder why 1 in 6 kids has asthma, glue ear etc etc. My hubby also did the programme with me, I just added a bit more of everything for him. he lost 20kgs and no longer snores, no longer suffers from sinusitus and can see his best friend again I lost 32 kgs and love cooking again, am composting and growing veges and love good food again. Life is so much better eating healthy fresh food. I feel so grateful to Sureslim. I knew all about nutrition, but had no idea about what was in our food until I started looking. One in three of us will get cancer. One in 8 will get breast cancer. Cancer treatment is a growth industry. It is time for us to take control of our lives, to slow down, to enjoy preparing food again. To actually look at what we eat. It is so scarey. I have put on 6kgs (didnt weigh myself for 6 months) because I still eat too much...(fruit, veges and cheese...odd glass or 3 of wine) and dont exercise as I should. That is managable...I have the tools to take it off and have taken 3.5 kgs off already. I know as soon as my clothes get tight, its time to cut back and walk some more. It is all about common sense really. Eating less, eating mainly plant foods, and a little exercise. Carbs really are the killer. I feel so much better not eating bread. I dont miss it, havent eaten it for over 2 years, still love crusketts and have a zing in my step because I have my life under control. It is healthy eating for life. When chocolate winks at me...I either grab it with both hands or say "poison!" depending on how virtuous I feel. We still have to enjoy life and eating and that is the hard part....choosing fresh tasty food makes it so much easier. Try it. Im into making cheese with raw milk, composting, slow cooking and good company. We dont need to stuff ourselves with hi carb crap anymore. Lifes great! Clean out the pantry of all the junk (that is probably growing weavels) then you wont be tempted. Keep laughing xxx
dollygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 01:16 AM   #3  

I agree with Dollygirl. I let myself slip after having enormous success with SureSlim (over 40kgs gone in about 7 months) but I believe in the program. I don't doubt that I paid for information I could have probably worked out myself but I found my consultants at the time helpful. I didn't expect them to be doctors, nutritionists etc. They were there to provide me with moral third party support, take some measurements from time to time and basically just provide updates to the program I was one.

SureSlim is about making real food work for you. I never considered myself to be an unhealthy eater, I was just eating the wrong foods. Like Dollygirl, when I was on this program last time (and since I have been back on it) I do not miss carbs (bread, rice, pasta .. I don't eat any of them any more). The first few days of the program on both occasions was like having poison drained from my body. I slept better, woke better, had more energy and was just generally a lot healthier (won't go into the graphic detail).

This program might not be for everyone but it certainly has worked for me and countless other people. Going in, I wasn't expecting the people involved to be trained in the medical field. I also wasn't expecting a quick fix.

It is a shame when threads like this appear because it could potentially stop someone from saving their life. You may think it is a gimmic but if you go in with your eyes open and recognise what you are paying for, this program will help you achieve your weightloss goals.
liftingme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 09:32 AM   #4  
Gym Bunny

S/C/G: 71.6/58.7/50kg OR 157/129/110

Height: 164cm

I worked there and for every person that had success there would be about 50 who fell off the wagon or found the diet too restrictive/too hard to follow.

People would be better off on weigh watchers from my experience.

The staff are no more knowledgable than your average jo on the street. They have a 2 day training course.

Good on you guys for being able to follow the program and reach your goals but from the environment I experienced it is not somewhere I would want to lose weight.

Considering one of the girls there was an bulimic/anorexic vegan who liked to laugh at how fat everyone who came in there was......I would not reccomend this program to anyone.
aimz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 04:53 AM   #5  

Hi aimz,

As well as myself, I have friends and family who lost weight through SureSlim, none of us had any complaints. They were very professional, explained everything that was going on and why and our weight loss plans were all different from each other.

It might have been the case in the South Australian clinic but, I have not heard a bad word about any of the clinics here in the UK and have not seen anything suspect from my own experience.

Barb x
Barbara79 is offline   Reply With Quote